Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Time Before : Discussion and Voting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Time Before
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Raven.

It's good to have you caught up and joining in.

Happy Reading. Smile
Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice chapter. And nice decision point. It's a hard one.

I say dispel the fireball. I think the mages already know we're here, and most of the soldiers don't. Dispelling the fireball may clue in the rest of the soldiers that they've got mage help, and may get them to delay in burning the caravan. Besides, remember that we've still got to prove our trustworthiness to the captain and the rest of the soldiers. If we start this battle by letting the Sempa fry a bunch of soldiers, they're not going to be inclined to ally with us or give us a peek at the caravan later.

Meanwhile, though, we've got to get the captain to countermand his orders about the caravan, because that's the only thing that's really going to convince them to stop. Going over there ourselves or casting spells on them is just going to get us into a fight with the soldiers, which we really don't need. Instead we should transport the captain over, or raise his voice so that he can communicate more quickly with the soldiers at the caravan.

Lastly, we've got to figure out where the Sempa are attacking from, and get them. It's true that it's three against six, but at least we've got the soldiers on our side - it's going to take at least two mages to keep themselves shielded from the soldiers.

So, I say, split up our duties - one to get the captain over the to caravan, one to block the fireball and defend the soldiers, and one to find and attack the mages. Physically, we should probably stay in the same place, so that we can all be defended together.
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Topics: 58

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've consulted the war room, and here's what we have to add:

First off, if the captain survives this, point out how silly (read:non-strategic) it was to stop the caravan in the middle of a mile wide clearing which isn't exactly defensible and provides no cover and concealment. Razz

Regarding the fireball and the impending deaths of the soldiers, sadly those men should be left to fend for themselves. If they are scrambling to reach their positions, there is a chance that some will survive anyway. This has advantages: if the Sempa are not aware of your presence then you maintain that element of surprise. If they already know you are there, then they are left with the impression that you are unable/unwilling to help, and will not be a hindrance to them.

One of you should extinguish any torches that the soldiers might ready to set the wagons afire, and another should get with the captain. Key's suggestion of amplifying the captain's voice is a great one. Convince the captain to call for the soldiers to scatter into the woodlines, with any archers providing cover. The captain and the LT should stay with you, and you should all remain with the caravan.

If the soldiers scatter into the woodlines, then the Sempa will be forced to split up and pursue them or otherwise allow survivors. Some will die, but many more will live if this plan works.

Take up positions within or around the wagons, and focus on eliminating the attacking mages one by one.

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good ideas.

Lets not forget the soldiers here. Provide the soldiers with shielding and they can aid in fight the against the Sempa themselves, adding to anything you do. In a previous chapter one of them was nearly skewered by an arrow, so they are vunerable to attack.

Extinguish the torches or hide/do something with the wagon so they can't destroy it.

Otherwise, what they said.
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much shielding can you provide for the soldiers? Don't want to spread your talents too thinly. There are presumably six of them, and three of you.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same rules as applied to Norral.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Topics: 17

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A difficult situation we have here. All of them having a moral consequence. But I agree with Fauna on the point that the soldiers will have to fend for themselves with the fireball. The threesome's main priority is the caravan and getting the captain to countermand his earlier order of burning the caravan. The sudden burning of the carvan as soon as an attack hits is a ras movement on the soldiers' parts in my opinion. What if they won?

So I suggest we guard the caravan as much as possible. Putting out the torches, knocking out a few men, whatever to keep the caravan from burning. Maybe one of the group should get the captain to order his men from burning the caravan.

Samadhi Traveler 2005 Nano Wrimo winner (53,019 words)

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The sudden burning of the carvan as soon as an attack hits is a ras movement on the soldiers' parts in my opinion. What if they won?

The soldiers have never experienced anything but total defeat. They know they have no chance against a group of Sempa, and have numbers merely to delay them whilst the cargo is destroyed.

However, the Captain's statement about burning the caravan if Trengin or Co go near isn't in effect yet. They are currently following original orders. Therefore if an attack from Sempa is confirmed, only then will soldiers run to burn the caravan. At the moment chaos ensues, so there is some time.

Amplifying the voice of the Captain is a nice idea; any ideas for the attack back?
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possibility could be to have one of the mages or a scout behind the enemy to confirm the presence of Sempa. While at the same there could be a deflection of the fireball heading for the group of soldiers by the other two mages. Maybe that would work.

-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sorrow_A

Items

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was immediately struck by the fabulous writing, yet HORRENDOUS grammar on your part, Smee. I mean, mouthing off like this is going to get me in trouble, but Good Lord. . . alright, it's certainly better than about 95% of all the writing in this website, and you Britons have a different English style than Americans, but my blood is running cold after reading all of that.

Dispelling a fireball won't get you anywhere. You would have to know where it is, its trajectory, and its target. Seeing as he has only moments before the fireball lands, he doesn't have that option. I suggest initiating a teleport field in the area that the fireball is going to land that would move everyone out of the way.

Either that, or you could try all on your lonesome to protect the entire group of soldiers from fire, which would work, but not very effectively.
Sorrow_A

Items

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the Sempa (if there are Sempa, which is more than likely. It could just be an Emflikar, though) don't know that there are magi present in the defense. A sudden surprise attack by shielded and invisible archers from behind would seal victory. It would have to be archers, because warriors generally don't recognize the whole idea of "STEALTH".
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yet HORRENDOUS grammar on your part

Please enlighten me - I don't claim I'm a professional here, and I'm quite open to learning. The last English formal training I had was G.C.S.E's at 16 years old.
Sorrow_A

Items

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I detected sarcasm or anger there. I was quoting your article on most of your grammar spots, and when I was about to click on the "Submit" button, my computer lagged, and for some reason, my cursor hit "Back". All that valuable work . . . wasted.
Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
17436 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh oooh oooh!!

*jumps up and down, waving paws in the air*

I found one!

Quote:
Srune was immediately at my side, a hand on my shoulder. "Calm down, we understand." Roah nodded his agreement. Srune continued, "More importantly we are glad of your help. Lets get to planning."

You need to put an apostrophe in your "Let's get to planning."

*beams like the brightest student in the class*
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You need to put an apostrophe in your "Let's get to planning."

Yeah, Yeah! I was going to comment on that too, but I was so disgusted at it I didn't bother. Shocked Ahem. Yeah...<trails off, looks around and bolts out of the door.>

Wink
Sorrow_A

Items

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was mostly the same mistakes over and over, so I figured that it had to do with British people talking and writing differently than Americans, although anyone could put it on the low grammar standards this site has.
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why we gotta be so nasty to each other? Surprised I've read some bad stuff, and it isn't written by Smee. Sheesh.
Key
King

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorrow, if you want to correct Smee's grammar, start a thread in the IF Technical Institute, and give specific examples of what you think is wrong and what would be the correct form. Please use this thread just for playing the game.
Sorrow_A

Items

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I feel so guilty. Crying or Very sad

Still, the Sempa are focused completely on the attack, not the defense. Get six archers, cast some sort of invisibility spells and get them behind the Sempa. The magi will suffer the most horrific defeat in the history of the . . . war? Battle? Revolution? Maybe I didn't catch on to that, but it will demoralize the magi a lot.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sorrow,

I lost computer access over the weekend so I couldn't step in earlier.

I realise my use of the word 'Enlighten' probably makes it seem sarcastic (my poetic side coming out Shocked ), but if you find the time to make a rewrite a post for the technical institute then I'll be more than happy to read through and discover where you think I'm going wrong.

All that aside though, you've come up with some good ideas, so don't feel bad. I'm glad that you are taking an interest. Smile

A poll will be going up soon guys.

Happy Writing. Smile
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Everybody,

This was a pretty tricky poll to make. Shocked

In the end I decided to go with just the response to the fireball.

After whatever you do with the fireball I will proceed with splitting the tasks amongst Roah, Trengin and Srune, and using the idea about amplifying the Captain's voice as this seems to be the common consensus.

However, if anyone thinks there is scope for another poll after we decide what to do about the fireball then I'm quite willing. Another chapter won't be here for a little while yet so we have time, plus there are a lot of ideas.

A few little points:

The fireball originated at the forest edge, giving you some idea where at least one of the Sempa is.

Invisibility, and teleportation spells aren't available at this time.

Invisibility is complicated magic that comes in a variety of forms. Gorin bends light around the item, whilst Jakeen using the music to fade the image of the person from the victim's mind.

Such things are all in the future and current day mages are still experimenting with such ideas. None of our mages currently have any form of invisibility spell. There are rumours that the Sempa have discovered a kind of invisibility, but if you listen to rumours then the Sempa can do anything. Wink

Happy Voting Smile
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the high drama fireball approach, 'cos that's the type of guy I am. Wink
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only do you not have the time to spare, to dispel the fireball, but there are advantages to leaving it be.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
21370 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voted

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Suneila

Items

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted to move the soldiers out of the path of the fireball. It might not be the most strategic, or best move, but we have to save the soldiers. We told the Captain that we would also try to protect the men, not just the caravan. It's also possible that Roah or Srune can get the Captain to call off the torching while Trengin saves the soldiers.

~sunny
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY a poll!! And just when I finished my last midterm for this semester! Voted. We really need to move those soldiers. The people are just as important as the valuables in the caravan.

-Confucius
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only a 3 day poll so get your votes in quick before it dies.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Poll is closed and Trengin is going to move the men out the path of the fireball.

Thanks everyone for your votes, expect the result to be out early in the new year.

In the meantime Norral is in the middle of his bridge assault and your decision to destroy the keep to eliminate the mage threat will be out before Christmas.

Happy Reading Very Happy
kenshin himura
Citizen

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
98 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darn dident make the poll. but oh well, I get to have my way anyway. tis a great story so far good luck!
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Everybody Very Happy

Chapter 8 has just been posted here. Smile

This one will go on over the Christmas period, so plenty of chance for discussion and plans.

A poll will go up once the discussion seems to have dried up.

Happy discussion, and holidays. Very Happy

Last edited by Smee on Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:59 am; edited 4 times in total
Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
17436 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

It seems to me that we've already underestimated the Fort's Mage more than once. We can't automatically assume that he was unshielded, or that he didn't shield others. Looking at the devastation, it seems unlikely that anyone survived, but I can't see the elders looking too favourably on another slip-up from Norral.

I say take the time to mop up first, before going back to explain your actions. The first time we met Norral, he was forced to explain himself to his superiors, and they already had the account from someone else - yet they still listened to what he had to say. They are unlikely to issue judgement without at least hearing him.

Excellent chapter Smee Very Happy
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*First post dance*

Good chapter, Smee, although a bit short from what you usually write. Not that I am complaining. Cool

Instinctively, I would say go and tell lthe elders your success so far, but that sounds too naive. Norral is a new squad leader, so needs to prove to the elders that he is trustworthy to finish the task. Although his team may be tired, I think he should take the precaution to check for survivors and probably look for that mage.

It is likely he could find useful information from the rubbish he just created by destroying the bridge. The elders, who assigned him the mission, probably didn't know about there being a mage on the opposing side, so Norral could look into finding some kind of evidence. Maybe it will help bring him up in the elders' esteem.

-Confucius
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify - the bridge is fine - a few rocks littering the place. Only the keep at the end of the north side is destroyed.

Thanks for the comments so far ~ and so quick. Smile

Happy Reading Smile
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am confusing the two different story lines here, but is it Norral's or Trengin's that we find out about there being a magical barrier around the bridge?

I have a feeling the information is given in Norral's. If the bridge is fine, are we to assume that the barrier is still up?

-Confucius
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norral was told about it by the Elders, but Trengin also found out via the tavern gossip, and from Roah.

So your confusion was justified - it was both. Smile
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to find that mage. We should proced on the asumtion that he shielded himself in time because he has proved to be smart.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
21370 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

find the mage's body and make sure there are no surviors

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Key
King

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We definitely need to confirm the mage's death. If the Elders ask us why we didn't and we say, "We were too tired," they're not going to take too kindly to that answer.

We also need to make sure that no soldiers survived; the blast should have killed everyone, but it's always possible that there were some further away or who dove under the river. It's bad enough that we lost our war's first casualty; if we also leave someone alive we're in very deep trouble.

As long as we don't leave anyone alive, there's no way the Elders will get word of Karak's death before we go back, anyway. So we'll at least have a chance to break the news, uh....gently?

Hmm...now that I think about it, maybe we should think about an escape plan. Here's something to consider: suppose we don't find the mage's body. Presumably he's now escaped, and we've therefore not only lost our first casualty, but the mage lived to tell the tale, and will be celebrated by our enemies and serve as a model for other mages to rise against us. It's the worst possible outcome for the Sempa. If we allowed this to happen, is the leader going to let us live?
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
Norral was told about it by the Elders, but Trengin also found out via the tavern gossip, and from Roah.

So your confusion was justified - it was both. Smile

Okay, was just making sure I wasn't mentioning stuff that shouldn't be known yet to either party.

Key's reasoning at the end of his post makes sense despite the pessimism in it. But for a soldier, I guess it is best to think of all the worse possibilities. Finding the mage's body seems the most important step since the Sempa had no idea of his presence among the enemy.

-Confucius
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that this battle is over and the dust is settling, it's time to effect some damage control on our reputation. It's highly important that no one escapes to spread the truth. We want to make certain that the version of what's told is what we want others to hear.

Although doubtful that any lowly pike soldier would know anything important, capturing the remaining personnel alive might be prudent. We have many questions that need answers, and somebody is bound to know something. Recovery of the mage or his body, along with anyone else from the keep that might have sensitive information, could help us turn a grim situation into something vaguely salvageable.

Find the mage-or his remains, and learn how he came to the side of your enemy. That's important information that the Sempa needs to know. If the mage is indeed dead, or reluctant to talk, there is bound to be someone that knows something. Find out if the shield is still operational. Find the source of the shield. You might be tired and running low on energy, but you could easily end up dead if the elders aren't pleased with what you managed to accomplish in this aftermath.

How does Norral answer the guard?
Humbly deny all knowledge of any Sempa?
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Explain that your fire was throwing up a lot of sparks last night? Easily mistaken for fireballs at a distance.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Sempa killed your family. You're heading straight to the Capital to complain and demand recompense?
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Author option (DO NOT USE)
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7
Who Voted: algu95, Chinaren, D-Lotus, DeadManWalking, Key, Reiso, Smee

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Time Before All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 6 of 16
Jump to: