Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Polling Chp1

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Finite Cosmos - COMPLETE
View previous topic :: View next topic  

ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Topics: 58

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Polling Chp1 Reply with quote

At this juncture, Chakra is restless and quite discontent with her skills and appearance. A few ideas on character development are mentioned in this chapter and summarized below. I welcome comments on this story and suggestions to further develop Chakra’s character, then I’ll place a poll after a day or two.

Summary: Chakra contemplates two paths. The path of her friends involves Finer Magics such as elemental magic (water, wind, earth, etc.) Choosing this path leads to the physical development of shimmery wings and feminine features with advanced magical skills. The second path she considers includes Coarser Magics that enhance the physical abilities of the caster. Although more masculine, Chakra is not averse to sprouting leathery wings or razor sharp claws if she can make a difference in the lives of her people.

A third choice, used by Chakra’s friends to tease her, involves the way of the thinker. Clearly Chakra does not want others to view her as a daydreamer, and she seems too impatient to wait and amass enough great knowledge and wisdom to benefit her people. If Chakra chooses this path her greatest conflict will be with herself.

Poll: What choice should Chakra make at this time?
1. Seek the advice of others before choosing a path 4
2. Finer Magics 3
3. Coarser Magics 1
4. The Path of the Thinker 1

Last edited by ethereal_fauna on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:34 pm; edited 18 times in total
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good; completely different sort of story, and well told. Smile

Pictures are great, and really add to the story.

Quote:
victory over darkling skies
Is this a term from their world?

I'd go for the Finer Magics, I've always enjoy descriptions of elemental magic, and viewing a more feminine shape. :wink:

Happy Writing. Very Happy
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
Quote:
darkling skies
Is this a term from their world?

That was a bit of the poet in me sneaking out.
Mordok

Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work. A well written, well crafted story. The feeling you capture is a perfect compliment to the subject matter.

While I'm usually not a fan of introspective fairy stories, I can see myself reading more of this.

I think Chakra's true destiny lies in the way of the thinkers, but she herself will probably choose the path her friends have taken, and aim to master finer magics.
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mordok wrote:
I think Chakra's true destiny lies in the way of the thinkers, but she herself will probably choose the path her friends have taken, and aim to master finer magics.

Well if I get in a bad mood maybe she'll just become a high school dropout, get fat eating sugar plums, and have three or four babies with two different men and a gnome........ :twisted:

Seriously, I doubt that would make for a very interesting story. You can probably look at one of your neighbors and see one similar to that being played out.

Mordok

Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well if I get in a bad mood maybe she'll just become a high school dropout, get fat eating sugar plums, and have three or four babies with two different men and a gnome........

Seriously, I doubt that would make for a very interesting story. You can probably look at one of your neighbors and see one similar to that being played out.

Ha! I can see that in my living room. That sounds just like my wife.

Oh no! here she comes. Aaaaarrghhhhh!!!!! Very Happy
Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chakra seems to like contemplating the CalmSea, so I can see her being interested in the Finer magics, especailly the elemental magic of water. But at the same time she seems a little different from her friends, so maybe there is another path for her. Is the Wise White Witch still alive? Maybe Chakra could get some advice from her or from some other elder about where her destiny lies.
HomerJaySimpson

Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, im in another fantasy. OOPS, didn't mean to be here. Just ignore that I was here.
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keavney wrote:
Is the Wise White Witch still alive? Maybe Chakra could get some advice from her or from some other elder about where her destiny lies.

The Wise White Witch is still alive. However, Chakra is not only impatient, ambitious, and stubborn, but also a bit disinclined to seek the advice of someone she doesn't really aspire to be like. Not that she disrespects a wise thinker, but perhaps that a thinker might not rank high on her list o people to ask advice about her future from.
BStheGreat
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story, I think that she should choose the Coarser Magics, they would suit her better and also be a challenge for her to complete. It seems to me that she seems the odd one out, and even though she might be tempted to just be normal like her friends, I think she should go for the challenging magics.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Topics: 17

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent story. The whole description of the scene played out well that to me, it was very poetic. It actully painted a very pretty picture. I see Chakra being different from her friends. Although she may not think she is one, I see her being a thinker.

Samadhi Traveler 2005 Nano Wrimo winner (53,019 words)

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the poll is up for a few days. Let's see some more voting. I'm anticipating getting on with it. This is fun! Laughing
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, cool story, although I usually don't go for fairy stories either. I think she would go for the female magic...to sprout wings and all that, it's what I think the character would want. Maybe you could describe what kind of society these people are living in...i feel I'm missing out on that...or perhaps you are going to write that in the next chapter?

- D-Lotus Very Happy

oh yeah, the color you picked makes me kind of depressed...i don't know why... Confused
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Finite Cosmos - COMPLETE All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: