Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Who do you write like?

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> City Central -> Open Forum -> Open Forum Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

kkdestiny
Mayor

Topics: 56

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Who do you write like? Reply with quote

http://iwl.me/

Apparently, I write like one Mr. Cory Doctorow

Razz

I must read up on him now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Doctorow

"The Freedom of Magic" Just got its THIRD chapter up!

Hope you all find the time to read them Very Happy *goes off to look for an SG to read*

Note to self: The Elven Moon; Coin; SVI; Black Animals; Two Wolves; Angel Cat
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... first answer for me came back as Arthur Clarke (author of 2010)

The next answer on another chapter came back as Dan Brown... I can see that considering I read a lot of his stuff.

Another result brought Arthur Clarke again, then Chuck Palahniuk. My first chapter came up as Douglas Adams... I can sort of see why. Alas... I'm not as funny as the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide.

Arthur Clarke 2 out of 5 huh? Interesting. I've certainly taken some writing style notes from both Douglas Adams and Dan Brown so I can certainly relate there.

Seems the analyzer works a bit like a spider, looking at content more than the particular style of the writing. Fascinating stuff though.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Topics: 5

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, they went in this order:

Dan Brown 2x,
Stephen King,
Annie Rice,
Arthur Clarke.

Not too shabby. Interesting result, Annie Rice, no? Razz

Beyond Good and Evil
Could it be that being good is not good at all?
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten everyone from Cory Doctorow to GRRM to Lovecraft to Chuck Palahnuik. I don't actually think that this thing is very reliable.

Btw, Doctorow is an amazing writer. Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom is a great book, and Makers is even better.
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting..>!

My results-
Neil Gaiman (X2)
Dan Brown (X2)
Mark Twain
Stephen King
Raymond Chandler

Of these, I've read only Dan Brown and Mark Twain, though I think I've read a Stephen King somewhere. I need to check out the other writers up there!

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Topics: 75
Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through all of the work that I've done here on IF (chapter by chapter, in the case of the longer SGs), and I don't really know whether I'm with DMW, that it's likely not very accurate, or not. When I began, I was using all of the short stories I've written on here, such as stuff for competitions, and I was veering towards it prbably just being a random thing. But when I moved on to SparkleSteps, though the first few chapter were mismatched, after a while the results were pretty much consistant.

For the short stories and my two shorter SGs, the results were 1 each for J.R.R Tolkien, Raymond Chandler, James Fenimore Cooper, William Shakespeare (which I found a little strange Wink), Arthur Clarke, William Gibson, and Dan Brown, and 2 for Margret Atwood.

For SparkleSteps, the results were as follows, in chapter order (some chapters were written split into 2 or 3 so that's why there are more relults than actual chapters):
Valdimir Nabokov
P.G Wodehouse
Stephen King
Valdimir Nabokov
Stephen King x10
Gertrude Stein

The last one (as I was obviously in an experimental mood, which is very out of character, as I'm usually a lazy thinker Wink) I split into 6 smaller parts, and the results came back as 3 each for Gertrude Stein and James Joyce. Then I think the mood ran out because I really couldn't bring myself to do the same with all of the others. *giggles*

I actually haven't even heard of some of these writers, and have actually read even less, so I can't look upon them as being any kind of inspiration. I have read Stephen King, and J.R.R.Tolkien, and I tried to read Shakespeare at school, under instruction of my best friend, but I really just couldn't get into it. Interesting results all the same, and whether they were accurate or not, it was quite fun (yes, I have alot of time on my hands Wink). Smile

Items

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly they only take the things you write about not the way you use your sentences. If I was to write about a girl sitting on a wall and she was with a cat and the cat meowed. it be the guy who writes Coroline.... Smile
Emperor
Citizen

Topics: 29

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar Allan Poe
Mary Shelly
Chuck Palahunik
Neil Gaiman

I dont know how accurate this thing is, somehow I doubt it's accurate at all --- but not bad company to keep. Now if I can make the $$ they do
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Open Forum -> Open Forum Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: