Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

First Against the Wall. Section 12 - Friends and Enemies.
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Storygames Home -> First against the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shady Stoat

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject:  

I think he's got to work with this guy for at least a little while. Anything he does to help Grimm out could be justified right now as 'gaining further information' for the Dept 7 officials.

He can't afford to implicate himself too much though. I suggest straddling the fence and trying to be in both places at once. Make an excuse to Jane, try and bail Grimm out of whatever trouble he's in, then make it back to the restaurant, hopefully in time to cause her as little distress as possible.

(Got a cloning machine? I get the feeling he's going to need one!) ;)

Great chapter Chins, you're really getting him into deep doo-doo :P
Solomon Birch

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject:  

I'm loving it Chinaren! What an interesting, and scary, world you have created!

*shiver*

Anyway, I think that he needs to do something to help Grimm, either because he is starting to feel that something is up and anything he can report to Department 7 would be useful, or because he genuinely beleives Grimm is sincere, so I think going to help him would be the bast course of action, for whatever route he takes.

Bringing Jane is probably not a good idea (unless she turns out to be some amazing soldier discharged and then entered civilain life to escape the 'horrors of war' ;) ), so he should make up an excuse; that he left the gas on (or the equivalent in this dystopian future) or something, then hurry back to salvage his date with her.

Keep it up! Can't wait for the next chapter! :biggrin:

*Holds breath*
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject:  

*watches with intrest as SB turns first red, then purple*
Smee

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject:  

Hey,

Don't apologise for the unexciting chapter. I enjoy reading about the detail of this story, it's a rich idea and this was interesting.

I liked the mentions of the 'big brother' type additions to life - the approved restaurants, enterting his location before leaving home, the whole dating scenario.

Plus the decision point more than makes up for any percieved lack of excitement.

Regardless of whether Jane makes a complaint I suspect Dept 7 are going to find out that you ditched the date, so if we do decide to go after Grimm then we need to have a story. Unless of course Grimm isn't doing anything against the leader and therefore we can just tell the truth.

However, as you've explained, a date isn't something that is left easily though - so do we do it? Grimm has made it pretty clear that he wants us to pull out all stops to help him, and earlier he hadn't wanted us to endanger ourselves more than necessary by staying in the car. He wouldn't be asking unless he was desperate.

Explain to Jane that you need to go and do something urgent for work. It may be quick, so suggest she has one more drink in the bar and then head over to the restuarant where he'll hope to meet her. If it is going to take longer then he can phone/contact her to let her know.

Happy Writing. :)
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject:  

okay people, votes' up! o-)
Smee

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject:  

I've voted for make an excuse and meet at the restaurant later.

However - I want to tell the truth, not make up an excuse. It's not like there is a need to lie here - something important HAS occured at work, and he HAS to attend to it. Why make up some feeble excuse when the truth will do?

Happy Writing. :)
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject:  

Quote: I want to tell the truth, not make up an excuse

Good point!
Solomon Birch

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:  

If we agree with Smee; that we want him to tell her the truth (as much of it as we know), should we vote for 'make up an excuse and tell her to meet at the restaurant'?
Solomon Birch

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:  

Lol, voted for that anyway.... :lol:
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:  

went for just ignoring grimm and statying with jane
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject:  

Okay, make an excuse took it. I will get to work on it as soon as I can think of something to write!! :shock:
Warmaster Daizo

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:  

Based on what I've read so far, I think his best option is to just tell Jane that his boss required his assistance(which would be reasonable enough to not leave a black mark on his record), try and meet her at the restaurant, and then report the event to Department 7.
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject:  

Hello Warmaster! Welcome to the story! And welcome to IF!! :D
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: 5. Plot.  

Section 5. Plot.

{removed}

>>>>>>>>>>

What should Gallows do? He can let the man go, pretend to stop him even, or he could try and take him down for real? If what D7 has said is true, the assassin will just see him as another officer.

Ideas, suggestions and all that good stuff…

<<<<<<<<<<<<
Shady Stoat

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject:  

Tougher and tougher decision points here, China! I'm liking it! :D

I think sooner or later we're going to have to pick a side. Personally, I'm going to go for sooner. So, here it is :shock:

Would Department 7, knowing that there's a plot against their glorious leader, appoint a complete rookie as their agent in this matter?

Wouldn't there be anyone more experience they could put their trust in?

I just can't make it fly. They've picked him because he's young and idealistic and gullible and he's got a chance of doing anything they want him to do. I think he should act in the way that a good Police Officer would act, then explain his reasoning (or take his punishment/alteration) later.

Shoot the assassin. Bring him down - but alive, so he can be questioned.
Smee

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject:  

Excellent chapter. I beginning to struggle over which I prefer, this one or Sector 507 - you certainly get some intriguing plots when you are being serious*.

Well, I like Stoat's idea, but only on the basis that the assassin isn't Grimm (we haven't been told yet). It seems to me the assassin wouln't pause like he has unless he recognises Gallows. After killing a sub-leader why not add a lowly police officer to the list! He must have paused for a reason.

However, if it's just surprise at the police being there so quickly then I think Gallows needs to follow Stoat's plan. The last thing he wants is to be explaining to his bosses that he didn't arrest the assasin because some stranger told him not to.

Department 7 (if they are real) will have to learn to explain themselves better, and through more official channels in such a regulation controlled city.

Happy Writing :)

*rare I know ;)
Solomon Birch

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject:  

Yay, very cool chapter Chinaren! :D :biggrin:

I reckon that if it is Grimm, then he shouldn't shoot, even to stop. He seems to have taken to Grimm, despite his apparent illegal doings :? so would be hesitant to shoot; and not shooting will keep him in the good books of Department 7 (wheter he wants to or not :cool: ).

If it isn't Grimm, I F5 Smee and Shady; shooting, but preferably not to kill. Department 7 be damned, his ingrained devotion to the leader will over-rule the orders from Department 7, no matter how intimidating they are :-o .

Me want more!

*holds breath* :shock:
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject:  

Very nice chapter China :)

I agree with Shady. He should take down and arrest the assin and explain his reasoning later if needed. He has absolultly no proof that the stranger wasn't part of the plot trying to make sure it went over smoothly.
Warmaster Daizo

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject:  

Adrenaline rush, and basic instinct:
-Pistol whip on the head
-Disarm and bind
-Attend to the Sub-Leader

However, it is apparent that the sight of the assassin's face triggered some sort of emotional response in Gallows, or vice versa. The preferable choice, assuming we have Gallows' best interests at heart, is for Gallows to simply turn to the Sub-Leader and allow the assassin to escape, fulfilling both his orders from Department 7 and his consciencious need to protect the Sub-Leader.

It would, of course, be interesting if the assassin is Grimm, but that is too predictable given the information we have.

Perhaps the assassin is a relative, like a brother to Gallows. The situation would put Gallows into a state of mild shock, giving the assassin time to escape.

I remember reading something about clones; what if the assassin is a clone of the Sub-Leader, and Department 7 is at heart preparing for some sort of coup?

Intrigue? What if the assassin is a clone of Gallows?

More intrigue? What if the assassin is Jane?
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:  

Hello Warmaster! Welcome to the story, and thanks for the comments.

Indeed, thank-you all for your comments, I love this site!

Smee
Quote: you certainly get some intriguing plots when you are being serious

It's strange, when it comes to Fantasty Narg* is about as serious as I can get, I don't know why. Yet for Sci-fi I struggle to write humour. Strange. I will try and think of a 'serious' fantasy...

*Which btw, I am looking for a second to nominate for SGotM! ;)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject:  

is it Grimm or are you noit going to tell us?
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject:  

It's not Grimm.

I wasn't thinking about him recognising the person, but you lot have got me thinking. So now he might!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject:  

well - seeing how we're seeing it from his perpective - does he?
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject:  

Hehe! I don't know yet! :oops:
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject:  

Polls up then.

I put *attempt* to shoot/arrest in the poll, on the assumption the perp wouldn't go quietly. :shock:
LordoftheNight

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject:  

voted for the first one, and winning
Solomon Birch

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject:  

Went for the 1st one. :biggrin:
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Section 6. Arrest.  

Section 6. Arrest.

{removed}

>>>>>>

Deeper and deeper. So, bearing in mind Grimm says he only has a couple of minutes, what should Gallows do?

I am not going to suggest anything here, let’s hear what you all have to say!

<<<<<<
LordoftheNight

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject:  

i think gallows needs more to go on than that, ask for more - even if it ends up with grimm arrested

if there is a plot, he can always claim he didn't know
Shady Stoat

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:  

I meant to reply to this one as I read it, then got distracted.

Whichever way he turns, Gallows gets deeper immersed in the plot. Very intriguing.

If we've only got 2 minutes, ask him what he knows about Department 7. I don't think he'll do what Grimm wants unless he knows a GREAT deal more about what's going on around him than he does presently. Grimm must be desperate to ask him for so much when he's prepared to give so little. Either that, or he assumes Gallows is too stupid to resist him.

Either way, 2 minutes is unlikely to be enough. He needs to refuse this one unless something truly startling comes out of his questioning.

Another good chapter Chiny
Solomon Birch

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject:  

Wahey! Nice chapter. Was wating for this one! :D

I think that things are getting out of hand for Gallows. He has messed up the date with Jane, he has messed up his relationship with department 7 (or it looks like he has). So with that in mind, I reckon that Gallows is going to start thinking he hasn't got much to lose, so helping Grimm will hopefully shed some light on what on earth is going on. He should agree, but as Shady said, 2 minutes if not very long, so he needs some more info. So he should demand to know what the hell is going on and threaten to go to the authorities if Grimm doesn't tell him. A threat like that, especially under the tense circumstances, should hopefully get Grimm talking.

Can't wait for the next installment! :biggrin:

Smee

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject:  

Great chapter. :D

Grimm is definately asking too much here. With no information he expects us to kill a subleader! Everyone will know it's us, the only one left along with him. How can he expect us to risk so much because he asks? If he wants us to risk so much then he can afford to risk more by staying longer and explaining himself better.

Information on Department 7 is vital - are they on the same side, or against? However we also need the evidence he has against this subleader and information why it's necesary to kill him and not just arrest him.

Otherwise it's a No from me - too much of a risk.

Happy Writing :)
Warmaster Daizo

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject:  

The time has most definitely come for Gallows to start asking many questions.

Why would Gowel want to kill the Leader? ...how could he do so in secret?
What is Department 7(...Grimm may know what the deal with them is)?
Who discovered Gowel's intent? ...how did he/she discover it?
How reliable is the discoverer?
How many othe C&E officers are involved?
What do they know about the assassination of Rowel? ...about the cover-up?
Who are the individuals in the video? -this may lead to Gallows' conversion.

Most importantly, Gallows needs to know how his former partner fits into everything that has happened, who exactly is after him, and why.

In order to convince Gallows, Grimm needs to give proof; otherwise Gallows will just turn him in.

Trying to arrest the subleader is not an option: a man in that position is simply too powerful. Along these lines, depending on how the Leader and Sub-Leaders are determined, Gowel might have enough support among other Sub-Leaders, or even more treasured, among the military, to lead a coup. Like Hitler, Gowel may be able to demonstrate that the Leader was secretly working against the common good, or working towards some sort of atrocity, thereby justifying his actions.

The new chapter also suggests that Department 7 may be a task force responding directl to Sub-Leader Gowel, much like the 501st Legion responds directly to Darth Vader.

Grimm implies that the plot by Gowel was discovered by a group of officers rather than a single officer who managed to gather help, the important question here is how such a thing was possible.

The video... the video.... Perhaps it is a meeting between Gowel and a rebel leader? My speculation ends there.
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject:  

Excellent comments Warmaster!

You have a twisted and devious mind. I like it! :grin:

I think the poll is going to be a question that Gallows will ask Grimm, as that seems to be the general concensus on the next step.

The Warmaster has some good ones, I will wait a while more though before I put up a poll.
Warmaster Daizo

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject:  

chinaren wrote: You have a twisted and devious mind.

That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Come on mods!  

Come on Shaty/Storm! Please delete my old poll! :cry:
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject:  

Right, poll is up, though I suspect I know what the result will be.

Vote away amigos.
Shady Stoat

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject:  

Oops. I appear to have voted with my taxation-hat on. Sorry 'bout that Chinaren (and everyone else who thinks that the treasury shouldn't be getting involved in storygames about dictatorships ;)). Just count it as Shady's vote :P
Solomon Birch

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject:  

Voted for demanding more information, as it seems the most sensible approach to such a demanding request.

LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:  

voted for info, and winning

Storygames Home -> First against the Wall Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5