Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Heroes Never Panic, Part Two
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Storygames Home -> Heroes Never Panic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lebrenth

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Heroes Never Panic, Part Two  

I think I'm going to put the chapter summaries in this topic too. Which means I need to move the chapter down to the bottom. I will have the summaries up soon.

NOTICE! This is a violent and gory story
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:  

Nice one! Does it have a dp?
Shady Stoat

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject:  

Great chapter (again!). The Warders have got real problems within their ranks :shock:

The decision point, I presume, is whether or not we mention Stanimir's treatment of Traeker.

I'd say stay really cool about it. Don't do anything immediately, wait until the rage has died a little. Then, talk to Haymen about it. He's your leader, you don't want to hold back valuable information from him.

You also need to stress that Stanimir didn't actually kill Traeker. Intentions aside, it's vital that you don't exaggerate or lie because in the end, they only need to catch you out in one mis-truth and they'll never trust you again.

You're the newcomer, you have to play politics. There's a middle ground somewhere, right in between holding back vital info from the guy in charge, and accusing a valued (although they're fools to do so) member of the group of murder.

My :2c: anyway :D
LordoftheNight

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:  

it seems to me as if S* could have been actually been going for the zombie instead of T*, but with the light gone he just hit the wrong person

T would have died regardless of S's involvment, so i'd say leave it, telling on S's possible involvment will do no good, onl harm

*i'm dsylexic, you can't expect me to remember how to spell names
Lebrenth

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:  

The abbreviations are a good idea there, Lordofthenight. I can hardly remember Stanimir's name myself!

I went ahead and put up a poll, by the way.
jnmrcs

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:  

It's hard to know what really happened. But something is for sure, you have to tell what you saw to the leader...
AreonK

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject:  

I say kill Stanimir. But it seems I am outvoted, oh well. Nice chapter Lebrenth!
Warmaster Daizo

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:  

I must agree that as the newcomer, it would not be wise to question a veteran. Besides, in a military unit, the commander needs to know everything that's going on.
Smee

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject:  

Hey Lebby,

You got the chapter done then, and it's a good one as usual.

I voted for biding* time and then telling Haymen about it. Nothing conclusive, just our concerns that Stanimir was holding a brick and the injuries seem to correspond - being careful to mention that it was too dark to really see and that it could have been accidental.

Happy Writing :)

*speak to Chianren for biding lessons if you need them.
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject:  

Yes, indeed, I voted to bide, being the bider that I am. ;)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:  

went with the large majority to bide and talk about S to H in private, remembering to downplay the fact that he definatly did it
Lebrenth

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: NOT A NEW CHAPTER, just rearranging  

Chapter Nine of "Heroes Never Panic", PART TWO

Manning nods his assent to you before you turn and give your answer to Haymen.

"Yes, we accept and we'll be ready to join you tonight."

Haymen claps his hand on your shoulder.

"Let me show you your beds then," he says. He takes you upstairs again where Stanimir already lays heavily in a deep sleep. "Would you prefer up top or this level?"

Considering how poorly you got on with Stanimir, you would rather go upstairs for now. He takes you up onto one of the platforms. There are six beds, three of them with occupants. Over the railing, you can see Stanimir and across the gap the other platform has another six beds also, but only one occupant, snoring obnoxiously.

"I presume these will do. You still have a few hours before we leave, so I recommend getting started. Let me know if you have anything you want locked up."

"As a matter of fact I have," you say. You give him the thick unopened letter from 'the General' and a few personal items, but keep your identifying papers. Should they be lost or stolen you'll have difficulty replacing them, but it would be best to have them available in case you need to leave the city in a hurry.

You and Manning inspect your new rifles. They are in perfect working order and seem to be very reliable. You set them down, and you watch Manning's eyes grow heavy and finally close, immediately breathing deeply.... You wait for the same overwhelming fatigue to overtake you, but it doesn't happen.

After an hour, you see no reason to keep trying and you start wandering the Broken Drum. There are a few curious people, but you wander about so casually that they do not feel the need to confront you. The place really was just a simple tavern before the Warders moved in. You avoid closed doors, but an open door invites you into the cellar. Not far in, there is a closed door closing in a potent stench that convinces you to leave it be.

After a while, the Warders begin to awaken. Cornmeal and chicken stew is offered to you, but after it sits in front of you untouched for a few minutes, a fellow named Bradshaw gratefully accepts it from you. You assure yourself that after tonight your appetite and sleep will return to you. You've been in the balance for too long, in jail through the trial, and getting settled in Tiersley. After tonight you'll see where you stand and you'll be able to relax.

You wake Manning up when Haymen begins setting one of the tables up like a battlefield. The two of you watch closely as he points out important areas and speculated movement of the zombie groups. Without hesitation, once you understand the map, you point out the location of the open sewer where you encountered the zombies, and mention that there were many Skulls to confront them.

"Yes, I know," Haymen says and continues to say that seven Skulls were killed in the encounter and the East Gate had to be closed. "The zombies are getting stronger. We need to exercise extra caution tonight. We'll patrol Tamber Road to Southbanks."

"Sir, Southbanks is dry. The hordes are focusing on the East and Northeast. Outliers are taken out by Red Sun," Bradshaw says.

"We're focusing our attention on Tamber Road, not Southbanks. If we get to Southbanks without encounter, we'll turn back and try Camlin Road."

"This is a waste of time, Haymen," Stanimir says. "Send scrappers in and they'll come to us."

"We already discussed this, Stanimir. It's too dangerous to send scrappers, and if we draw them too close to the city we run the risk of letting them in."

"You're a coward, the whole lot of you are cowards. Bradshaw, 'Boots', you go scare them up for us and we'll be ready."

"They don't take orders from you."

"They will if they know what's best for them."

"Bradshaw, you're still on wall duty, and Dagmar stays with the captain and Manning."

"Your wasting time. I could do more on my own."

"Maybe you should go then," someone says. The room is quiet.

"Let me know when you're ready to say that to my face, Traeker," Stanimir says darkly.

"We're taking Tamber Road," Haymen intrudes. "And tonight we'll have these two gentlemen with us. This is Captain John Taggert and Gregory Manning..."

A few more introductions later, everyone loads up. Inside the eyes of your comrades you see resolute determination. If there is fear in them, they don't let it show. Manning stands proud amongst them, shaking hands with the others and psyching each other up. They mull about a little standoffishly towards you... probably your former rank is making them hesitant....

The group assembles a squad of about twenty men, the entire membership of the Warders minus a few to keep watch of the tavern. The wind protests your company as its cold whips lash across the crew. The night is especially dark, without any stars or a moon. Lanterns will decide the extent of your vision tonight.

Through the quiet streets, you proceed to the wall, which seems larger and more indomitable in the dark. Every two hundred paces, large lanterns burn brightly on the wall, but you can only see their outline as they bear their light outside of the city. When you reach the base of the wall, Bradshaw and another Warder climb up while the rest of you wait. On top they look around intently.

"Clear sir," Bradshaw calls down.

"All right, open it up," Haymen says.

One of the men retrieves a crank and places it in an ordinary looking hole. As he turns it, a door in the wall opens very slowly, eventually exposing a passage. One more slow cranking door and you're looking at the well lit perimeter outside the city. The passage opens about ten feet higher than the dry moat, which is gapped by a ladder that is brought out from the city.

You climb out and watch the wall close up again, looking, as it should, like any other part of the wall. The ladder is left on the ground.

"Hold fast, men. Let's go."

Stanimir makes no protests as you follow Haymen's plan, easing your way through the forsaken section of the city to the remnants of a specific road. A charred signpost reads "Tamber Road". Then the group turns south.

The ruins feel haunted, even worse than before. And as the shadows shift with the lanterns passing them, movement is everywhere. Every step is made cautiously, and Stanimir's scowl tells you he is getting very impatient with it. Then he smiles evilly, drawing twin broadswords and walking out of the group towards the east. Everyone's attention turns east. You notice with pride that Manning quickly occupies his attention with the flanks and rear of the group to ensure there won't be surprises. He has a lot of experience fighting in cities, after all. That in mind, you look into the darkness like the others. Stanimir has his head turned, listening.

No one can hear anything, but he nods his head. He walks farther east.

"Stanimir," Haymen protests, but he obviously doesn't listen. Suddenly he roars and claps his swords together, shattering the silence. The zombies enter the light at full sprint, dilapidated and hideous, but as forcefully as starved wolves. Stanimir lets the bullets fly past him first, but after the volley, he charges into them, for they are hardly slowed by the attack. Guns are dropped and swords are drawn with war cries erupting from the warders. Four of you, including Manning, begin reloading deliberately and with brisk precision, and with each load, another gun is retrieved and loaded. With the group in set battle, the blades flying at close quarters, there is no room for firing yet. A scream grabs your attention as the Warder beside you is knocked to the ground with a zombie thrashing his fists madly on top of him.

You draw your broken sword and drive the jagged tip through the zombies neck, following through to push the zombie off of the Warder. Its hands clench powerfully on your wrists and pulls your arms away. You kick its head with all of your strength... its weakened neck is unable to hold. It snaps and the head hangs backwardly.

You retrieve your sword and pull the fallen Warder away from the fighting. You grab a rifle and put a bullet in the next zombie but it keeps coming. Another shot barrels over your head, blasting a large hole in the face of the zombie, which drops it quickly. Then Manning helps you with the Warder, handing you another loaded rifle, and you both stand to face more.

The zombies relent and retreat into the darkness, but Stanimir and several Warders do not let them go. You quickly follow them, feeling the thrill of battle coursing through you, but in the darkness, you quickly lose the group. You follow sounds, stepping carefully through the ruins till you see a light. As you approach, you see the Warder holding it... the one Stanimir called Traeker.

Before you reach the light of his lantern, a figure comes from behind. It's Stanimir with a brick or stone in his hand. You freeze in your tracks. The rifle feels light in your hands as you aim quickly at Stanimir.

Traeker hears Stanimir, but as he turns, a zombie leaps onto Traeker, extinguishing the lantern. You hear a yell, but it quickly dies. The terrible bellowing scream of a zombie springs from the darkness beside you and you shoot blindly at it, drawing your sword and frantically hacking at it as it pommels you fiercely. When it stops moving, you move as quickly as you can back to the others.

Haymen loudly calls for everyone to regroup. Soon the casualties are assessed... and all are accounted for except Traeker.

"He was taken," Stanimir says. You have finished reloading your rifle and you look at him. He's without fear or concern. He cleans the blood from his swords and discards the cloth. Then he draws a knife and begins scalping the fallen zombies.

The scalpers retrieve Traeker's body with the back of his skull caved in, as if by a rock or brick.... You look at Haymen, who has noticed your silent rage and the way you grip the rifle tightly in your hands. He watches your gaze turn burningly onto Stanimir. Haymen draws his sword in confusion, his looks trading between you and Stanimir, who, as yet, is unaware of your inner trial....
LordoftheNight

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:  

did you mean to put the same chapter up again?
Lebrenth

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:  

Yep, I'm just rearranging a bit. I'm planning on writing another chapter soon, but haven't gotten to it yet.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject:  

ahh, ok
Lebrenth

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Heroes Never Panic, Chapter 10  

Chapter Ten of "Heroes Never Panic"

You meet eyes with Haymen and shake your head. He doesn't know what you mean by it, but he can tell you're relaxing and he sheathes his sword. He soon finds a moment to speak with you.

"I saw Stanimir with Traeker," you say.

"And?"

"He had a stone in his hand... he was sneaking up behind Traeker."

"He killed Traeker? You saw this?"

"... The light went out. I didn't see it. But the wounds-"

"Don't matter," he interupts hastily. "If you saw him kill Traeker, there would be no choice, but you didn't."

"I know... it isn't enough. It could have been accidental even. I understand... but it was my duty to tell you."

"And I thank you for that. Captain, you should consider keeping your head low for a while. The men don't know you. Give them a chance to get used to you before you make any accusations!"

"I understand. I don't want to cause any trouble."

"Good.... I think we'll be heading back. This was a fortunate--"

But as he speaks, another gun shot cuts him off. You look into the group as several zombies pull themselves up from the ground, their scalps removed and exposing their skulls. More shots knock them down again, and a fierce retaliation with axes makes sure they won't try again.

"They're reanimating," Haymen says with dulled urgency. Then you see a warder throw a brutal punch at another, knocking him back in confusion. The others quickly come between them, but they're unable to hold him back! He's throwing them around like dolls! You and Haymen rush to help. Then Manning yells:

"He's turned!"

And with that, streams of blood follow the bullets passing through him and he collapses. Without hesitation he is beheaded. His head is quickly scooped up and put in a bag.

"Make ready!" Haymen yells out. The group quickly complies, ramrods sliding and thumping, hammers cocking back.

"They're coming, Haymen," Stanimir says grimly, but he doesn't charge in. He sets his feet like a statue and waits for them.

Something stirs in the darkness and hastens to meet you. The rush sounds like a sudden and fierce windstorm thrashing through calm and still air. It catches you much faster than you could image, like bullets speeding past you, all around you, but more like thousands of bats moving impossibly fast, lashing you in passing, obscuring all vision and sound in a chaotic frenzy. And though it passes quickly, you feel inverted and confused. The gunshots begin, but you can't see what they're firing at!

"Hold your fire!" Haymen shouts. A warder howls as a bullet enters his side, and the shots continue. "Stop firing! Stop firing!"

"Sir, it went off on its own!"

"Mine too sir! It's still cocked!"

You try to draw your sword, but your arm has lost its strength, feeling heavy and sluggish, unable to grip. Finally the shots stop.

"Get us out of here Haymen!" Stanimir says loudly.

"Quiet! Everyone listen! We're going to pull back! Everyone is going to stay calm and we are NOT going to turn our backs on this!"

"Get that man off the ground!" you yell and several men look back, but Haymen shakes his head as the mistakenly shot man continues wailing on the ground. You move forward, though your muscles do not want to obey. You clench and unclench your hand, trying to force blood into it. "Manning!" you yell, but it was unnecessary. The two of you stride in front of the retreating group. Only Stanimir, who keeps himself between the group and whatever he sees in the darkness, is with you as you and Manning pick up the wounded man.

"Leave him, Captain," he says with heavy sarcasm. "He's dead even if he gets back to the city."

But that is yet to be seen. You catch up to the group quickly, for they move at a walk, and you do not enjoy being in front of the last of the rifles that haven't, yet, gone off on their own. Then Stanimir lowers his swords and runs toward the group. Though he doesn't seem to have any fear in him, it is extremely unnerving and but not a single man joins him as he pushes through, sprinting as fast as he can go. He calls out as he passes.

"Run! Run you bastards!"

And all of their fortitude vanishes. Everyone runs, and all of the scalps that were collected in bags fall open as they're dropped on the ground. You still can not see what you are running from, and you continue to carry the warder with Manning until they take the last of the light away with them, leaving you blind to whatever may be chasing you.

"Let go," you say, almost more to yourself than to Manning. It is hard to let the man's arms slip from your hands, but he has already fainted from lack of blood. The two of you run, the furious sound of pursuit soon following. You tell yourself if you can get to the light that shines around the wall, that you'll make it, and run faster.

Manning begins to trail behind, but you are getting closer. You think you can make it in time, if you don't trip on something in the dark. The others run with their lanterns well ahead of you, and show no signs of turning back and thinking about who they left behind. Your pursuers become frustrated and run faster! It's impossible to guess how far they are behind. You only hope that Manning can stay ahead.

The others turn suddenly, and start huddling outside one of the abandon homes. You're catching up as they file in through the door. As the last man enters, you yell!

"We're coming! Don't block the door!" Guns aim at you as you approach, but the door remains open. You enter quickly, but before Manning catches up to you, they start firing. "Manning is out there!" you yell, but they do not stop until their loads are spent. You look through the open door, the men with swords crowding it, waiting to slam it shut. Manning is coming, but he doesn't have a big lead.

The door slams instantly after he enters and half a dozen men press against it as the wave of zombies crashes into it. The windows shatter and Warders rush to fight them back.

"Barricade that door!" Haymen yells. Furniture is thrown and heaved in front of it as those at the windows continue to engorge the zombies attempting to enter. Their bodies crowd the holes, but finally the six men can withdraw without the door breaking in immediately. But it is still clear that it will not hold. "Upstairs! Everyone!" Haymen commands and soon the stairs crowd with Warders.

With only one direction to defend, there is time to reload, and as the Warders tire, they are switched out. The zombies do not relent immediately, but eventually they seemed to realize that they are not getting through and they retreat.

These zombies are very stubborn, taking bullets to the head with a smile, and sustaining all but the fiercest mutilation before their bodies go limp. Even then, they seem only a breath away from rising again, so certain unlucky souls must go down and make sure they do not by completely decapitating the fallen zombies and tossing their heads away from the bodies. They do not attempt to collect them. Right now, there isn't a soul who wouldn't trade every possession and pinnel to their name to be back in the city.

When the swarm does subside, the exhausted debate begins.

"We need to get back in the city," says one, trying to sound more determined than frightened.

"They're waiting, and they're going to bring their chums," 'Boots' says level-headedly.

"All the more reason to go now!"

"We're too tired," Haymen says imperatively. "And we can't risk bringing them through the passage."

"We can handle them, sir."

"Can we? Can anyone explain what happened? Can you tell Jonathon we can handle them? I'm taking no risks. We're staying here."

"Sir, shouldn't we at least try?"

"... If it calms down enough, we'll leave."

"The longer we wait--," 'Boots' says with growing impatience, but Haymen cuts him off.

"NO! What is this? Do you think this a question? This is my command, and by God, I won't let anyone's cowardice compromise our safety and the safety of the people in that city! Are you all so eager to go back now Stanimir isn't here? What happened to my brave fighting men? When did they become this quivering pile of overgrown children?"

"They aren't cowards," you say calmly. Haymen turns on you.

"Keep your mouth shut, Taggert. They are cowards, all of you. Your brave hero Stanimir runs away, and you don't have enough nerve to stand up to a cup of water. And where is he? What has he done?"

"Sir, we don't care about Stanimir..."

"That's what you say now! Now hear me, anyone who tries to leave without my orders will be treated like any deserter and shot on the spot. This discussion is over."

And no one talks, till the tension slowly eases. But it can only cool down so much before the anxiety of being surrounded by the undead heats it up again. Haymen looks much more in control, and that's what's most important now. Eventually he sends two Warders out onto the roof to see what they can. They seem glad to go, and clamber out of the windows and climb onto the roof. Soon after, the house rumbles, and the moans return. The guns blaze again and the swarm starts all over. While ammunition lasts, it works out fine. They have become very efficient at loading and passing rifles to keep a constant assault on the zombies as they try to climb the stairs.

Everyone is eager to hear what they saw.

"The light didn't let us see much, but it looks like they're gathering. They're on all sides of the building now."

"But," the other one cuts in, "it looks like we can get to the next house over if we can get a few planks of wood up there. We might even be able to bridge all the way back to the passage."

"They'll follow us the whole way," Haymen says. "We still won't be able to get in the passage without them being there with us."

"And we know what condition some of those buildings are in," another Warder adds. "I don't think we can make it all the way, and just one slip and at least one of us dies."

"In any case, we'll wait for day. We have no choice."

But the day comes slowly. However, the fatigue has been minimized and small naps have been possible. When the sun creeps reluctantly from its bed, it looks with baggy eyes at a dull gray blanket of clouds. The light is much greater than night, of course, but nonetheless, the warming light that lifts one's spirits is what everyone hoped for.

Haymen sleeps through the first rays of morning, but many of the others gratefully watch every second of it. Many were waiting to hear the morning patrol on the wall. It is their purpose to shoot any undead being within range every morning. The problem is the house is still too far in to be in range. Clearly, however, the zombies have gone nowhere. They still crowd every window and wait for any excuse to try another swarm.

Talk goes around, weighing the options without the 'Admiral's' heavy opinions.

The secret passage may not be a possibility anymore. During the day, the patrols can watch the walls far more easily, and technically, the Warders shouldn't be using their secret passage. In any case, Bradshaw won't be able to wait during the day without being spotted like he could during the night.

Naturally, you can't go north to Father's Gate or East Gate, because it's Skull territory, and outside of the city, they will kill rival slayers.

The south, at the Sullen River Gate, the Red Sun and Executioner clans do their slaying during the day, and it's hard to say how they will take the intrusion of the Warders. They are protective of what little territory they have and they might not like having such a large assembly of zombies entering it all at once.

And it's always a gamble trying to request help from the city guards on the wall. They won't take chances on slayers when the city is in even minor danger. If they do help, it would be with ropes, which would be plenty, if you had time. But once you're on the perimeter, there's no turning back. If the guards decide not to help, its time to find a friend to agree to behead you when the ammunition runs out.

If Stanimir was still with you, you'd have a grappling hook and rope, but he naturally took that with him. Whatever Haymen said last night about Stanimir being their hero, it certainly was not true.

It seems to you that what they want is someone to stand up and decide on a course of action so that everyone can solidly agree with him when Haymen wakes up and lays down his law. And somehow, your actions last night have them thinking it should be you....
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject:  

Ooh. It's looking grim!

I would say try to take charge, but he is still new.

I will think on it. :?
Shady Stoat

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject:  

A great chapter again, Lebs! :cool:

You do seem to have the opportunity to get your opinions in before Heyman now, so I say take it. None of the others seem too certain of themselves, especially now that Stanimir has left them to it.

Suggest trying the guards, see if they'll throw down ropes. It seems like the least dangerous option to me. It's a fair bet that they'll help as long as it doesn't trouble them or the city too much. As long as the group can outrun the undead and persuade those within the city walls to help them in time, that is...
jnmrcs

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject:  

I think like Shady. Try with the guards, at least that it's the least dangerous. But only if you can convience the guards.
Smee

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject:  

Great chapter :)

Heading to the walls and appealing to the city guards definately seems the best plan.

However - as has been pointed out, we don't have the time to get the guards attention whilst running away. Therefore I think first one of the warders needs to sneak out across the roofs and arrange with the soldiers for the ropes to be lowered at a signal.

With an arrangement in place then making a run for the walls holds a much better hope of working.

Ideally we want as many ropes lowered at once as possible - to get the men up faster. By alerting them early we have the added benefit of giving the soldiers warning allowing perhaps a half dozen ropes or more.

LordoftheNight

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject:  

i would say stop and reload from just before you joined up with the warders and join the skulls instead

you did remember to save the game before making any important descions right?

you didn't? damn
Falconus

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject:  

charge in on the skulls turf and shoot their way through the entrance
Lebrenth

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Chapter Ten Poll  

Here's the poll.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject:  

voted with the apparent majority
mr_moochie

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject:  

Get to the wall!!! If all of you go, it's likely they'll help, whereas if you send a lone warder, he might decide to bugger off into the city, leaving you out there.
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject:  

The guards lowering ropes does appear to be the best option, and sending someone ahead to alert the guards will improve your chances for success.
Warmaster Daizo

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject:  

Don't split up! everything we know about horror stories tells us this is a bad idea, plus it would be bad practice for them to send one person. At the very least they would send three or four, which, of course, leaves the door open for something like, "Johnson didn't make it," when they are reunited.

Generally speaking, infringing on someone else's territory would be a bad idea, especially considering the socio-political environment, but if we assume the crowd of zombies will follow them, a little extra firepower might not be a bad idea....

I say move the whole group towards the wall. The guards can provide covering fire and possibly lower a rope, or at the very least drop a few boxes of food and ammo. Whether the guards help or not, the Warders will be closer to their access point.

Mainly, I'm wondering where Stanimir went. I was under the impression that the whole group followed him into the building they now occupy, but it seems that is incorrect.
Smee

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject:  

But the guards don't know that a large group are approaching the walls with a load of zombies behind them.

Ropes may not be available, and thy won't be ready for a large skirmish.

Sending 1 or more people to prepare the guards could mean they could get reinforcements, and more ropes to get everyone up quicker.

Maybe just send the 1 person a few minutes ahead of the main group?
jnmrcs

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:  

If you send all of them then they could die, all. We are not sure that the guards will help, so what's the meaning on of die closer to their access point?

One could alert the guards, jus in case they wanted to help. But if they woun't help then that one could return to alert the Warders.

Even more maybe the others could slow a little the zombies.
Lebrenth

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject:  

Warmaster Daizo wrote: Don't split up! everything we know about horror stories tells us this is a bad idea

A good point, but I really dislike cliches, so that logic might not work so well in this story.

Warmaster Daizo wrote: Mainly, I'm wondering where Stanimir went. I was under the impression that the whole group followed him into the building they now occupy, but it seems that is incorrect.

That's an oversight. I should have made it much clearer that Stanimir wasn't with the group. The last time he was seen, he was ahead of the Warders in the retreat, and when Haymen directed everyone into the building, Stanimir ignored his order and went on by himself. Thanks for bringing that to my attention Warmaster Daizo :)
Lebrenth

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Heroes Never Panic, Chapter 11  

Chapter Eleven of "Heroes Never Panic"

"We need to send someone out... someone we can trust," you say as you look out the cracked window onto the throng of macabre corpses staring at you with black swelling eyes. Looking at them makes you uneasy in every way, in your stomach and your eyes, in your mind and in the heart. Not only their hideous appearance, but the very fact they exist and that each of them were once people you could shake hands with. You turn away and see that your words carried more gravity than you expected. They do not show weariness or uncertainty as they stand. "You," you say, talking to the nearest warder, "who do you trust who can run fast?"

"Seager can run like a deer... and I'd trust him with my life," the lithe warder says. Everyone chuckles.

"... Tom Seager? Isn't that your name?" you ask with a little confusion. You're usually very good with names.

"Yes sir," the lithe warder says with a smile. You can't help joining him.

"Who else do you trust, Tom Seager?"

"He's good, sir, I've seen him run," another warder says. "And he could have left us all behind if he wanted to... he wouldn't have had any trouble keeping up with Stanimir."

"Stanimir would have a hard time keeping up with me! If he didn't stab me or throw something," Seager says.

And there is a general consent. Everyone seems very pleased with Seager's offer.

"All right, let's talk to Haymen. We need to send someone to talk to the guards on the wall immediately."

Haymen sits in the corner of a dilapidated bedroom, letting others use the dusty bed. You take a knee and gently shake his shoulder. He wakes up startled and looking around. His eyes are baggy and bloodshot. He soon recovers himself and stands, putting a finger to his lips to quiet you before you speak, letting the others sleep while he steps out of the room with you.

"What's happening?" he asks quietly.

"We're discussing sir. We think we should send someone to the wall to talk with the patrols and try to get something arranged so we can bring the whole crew over the wall."

"Discussing? And do you have a volunteer yet?"

"Seager, sir."

"Seager?" he says in protest, but it mulls over his mind, "... Yes, he'd do fine. All right, we need to get these men out of here. But be careful Taggert. I don't want you thinking to overturn my command."

"I have no ambition to, sir, none at all. We just want out of here alive."

"Fine fine. But I hope you realize this could get us into a lot of trouble."

"What do you mean?"

"Depending on who is in command, they might arrest us for endangerment."

"Of who?" you ask with frustration.

"The soldiers who will be occupied with us, and the city, and even ourselves. I want you to tell Seager to be very careful how he arranges the crossover."

"You want me to tell him, sir?"

"Enough of that 'sir' nonsense from you. The men already trust you, I can tell. It was that little rescue attempt. He's dead now, but they know you tried. They respect that and the last thing I need to do is alienate you. I know you were a very capable officer, so take care of this for me. And if you don't mind, don't wake me again unless it's serious or you have another desperate plan."

"Very well... I'll take care of it."

"Good."

You go back and talk to Seager, expressing the need to find a reasonable officer, if possible, and show utmost respect. You tell him to have one of the city wall lanterns re-lit as soon as he gets through to make sure you know he's made it. And you tell him to get the warders inside the city to help if he can. He seems eager and proud of his task and responds with a formal,

"Yes sir."

"Good luck, man. I know you can do it, you just show me how well. And if you happen to bring a little ammo and food back with you, we'll be especially grateful."

"Yes sir," he says again and he's out the window, climbing onto the roof, two others handing up an old skinny plank and his rifle.

"Get ready for a swarm!" you call out, and everyone wakes up a little more. You point to another warder, "Randal? I want you ready to make a distraction for our man Seager."

"No problem, Salvin has a grenade," Randal says.

"Excellent, get it now. I just want to make sure Seager isn't followed. Give them something else to think about."

"Yes sir," he says quickly and starts his search, calling out for Salvin. The zombies are stirring again, you watch as the grey figures become agitated, and soon everything is moving again. The aged Salvin comes with his grenade, apparently unwilling to let someone else use it.

"Well, light it!" you say. His smile reveals his missing teeth with his delight, and he watches the gleam of the lit match for a moment before setting it to the wick, which burns down very slowly, then suddenly very quickly, as he throws it into the old road.

It's hard to say what damage was done, since as soon as we look again, the hole is filled with the undead already and they're back inside the house with renewed fury! You see Seager running across the sagging and swaying board and hold your breath. He crosses like a cat, hardly showing any effort, and he takes the plank over with him.

"He's good," you say to yourself.

"Always had good balance, that boy," Salvin says "Haymen was always yellin' at him for his showin' off on the Perseverance..."

The shots mute his words, and the clamor becomes too distracting to do anything else but help reload. Then a tremor rocks the foundation of the building, and everyone holds their breath as they feel the house shift. The wood creaks and cracks in unseen corners, and continues to groan lowly as the shift stops. The sentinels suddenly remember their task again and continue firing after letting them getting much closer than before.

"Salvin, do you have anymore?" you ask.

"That was my lucky one, saved it for a black day. I ain't got anymore."

And it's probably just as well with the groaning house's condition. Warders with swords move over the stairs and beginning slashing at the assaulting zombies. They're who are outrunning the reloaders as they climb over the bodies, but they're clogging the way till at last the gap, the whole stairway, is strangled with bodies till only with great struggle and digging, the zombies can get in.

"What's our ammo?" Haymen asks, obviously awaken, like all others, by the shots. The collective pool of powder and bullets dwindles to a handful of shots left, and being used up just by the reloads. Already, large chunks of cloth have been ripped from shirts to accommodate the wadding needs. The bullets are first to deplete, leaving four rifles unloaded and nothing to do about it but dig into the corpses to retrieve more. Swords stab repeatedly in the bodies as they go, bloodying themselves till they're hard to distinguish from zombies themselves. We load all of our firearms, leaving only specks of blackpowder littering the ground that if swept into a pile would barely fill a half load.

"No shots unless absolutely necessary. You've got one bullet each, take care of it like a baby till you absolutely have to throw it to the dogs," Haymen says with angry seriousness. "Now let's see if we can't make it harder on them. Throw down some furniture on that stairway. Taggert, I want you to keep an eye out for Seager."

Manning keeps watch with you as you look across the buildings. You can't see him, nor do you see him soon. The house calms again, as the undead reappraise and try to find a way into you. They circle and scrape at the walls. Some of them try climbing, but walls are too smooth or too weak to allow them to climb. Slowly, pieces tear away and the house groans more.

"They're trying to climb, Admiral," Randal says as he looks down with you.

"Let them come in," Haymen says. "We're ready!"

But they're still having too much difficulty to get up.

"Won't take long till go down to them," Randall says to you... the house is on a noticeable slant now. But it's standing.

Time passes, but the wall lanterns stay dark and dead on the wall.

"Sir?" Randal says tentatively. You give him your attention. "Taggert right? We were wondering if you were related to General Taggert."

You take a deep breath. The General is a loved and hated man. This problem follows you everywhere it seems, even a collapsing house surrounded by the undead.

"My father."

"I see, sir," and he walks away from you carefully. He's soon passing it along, you notice. You even see someone shake his head and begrudgingly hand over something from his pack that looks like jerky.

"We did that too," Manning says, "when you were first assigned to our company."

"I know. Collins cheated by the way. He asked before he made his bet. I remember I asked him to keep it quiet about it, but that didn't last."

"I never liked Collins..." Manning says carefully.

"He was good in a fight. Kept cool, always obeyed orders," you respond.

"He was an ass, sir. It wasn't your fault. You did what you were ordered to."

"It's all right, Manning. That was a long time ago, and I've done worse things since then."

A plank slaps the roof, and Seager runs over it again. Excitement boils in the room. You look back at the wall, but the lanterns are still unlit. They help him into the room.

"What did you find Tom?" Haymen asks. Tom looks scraped and his face is red and starting swell on the left side.

"Stanimir," he says. Their is a hush. "he was outside the wall, he said he'll light a lantern when they're ready. He said he'd already told the others about us, and they'd be ready soon."

The group is relieved, if a little apprehensive at the source of help.

"All right," Haymen says. "Let's get out of here. Are we ready with the plank?" A wider and sturdier plank has apparently been made. "Standard marching order everyone, we're getting out as soon as possible."

"The signal hasn't been lit yet," you say.

"By the time we get out of here, it will be."

And to make his point stronger, another loud crack issues.

The room holds still for a moment, waiting to see your next move, and the Admiral waits to hear whether or not you challenge his decision....
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:  

Seems like getting out is the best option, agreeing with H and leaving.
Smee

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:  

I agree - get out NOW.

Excellent chapter :D

Let's hope Stanimir hasn't tricked us - although it probably wouldn't be to his profit.

Shady Stoat

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:  

I think Haymen's making a mistake - but we'll have to leave soon anyway. I don't think the extra few minutes will make a difference, one way or another. Either Stanimiar is going to help us or he isn't. It's out of our hands now.

Excellent chapter, Lebs. Keep it coming... and keep it mean *grin*
jnmrcs

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:  

You must go out now... Even if that isn't good desicion you can't wait longer...
Smee

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject:  

Voted for leave now - Although I'd suggest that once we're all on the next house that we do what we can to knock the house down.

Not only would this mask the sound of our escape, but also throw a lot of dust and confusion around, hopefully delaying the zombies still trying to get in.

Who knows - a wall on the head may stop a few too.

mr_moochie

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:  

Leave now, but don't go all the way to the wall. find a sturdy house, and wait there for a bit. Also, I agree with Smee, knock that bastard down!
jnmrcs

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:  

I agree with smee and mr_moochie... also voted.
Chinaren

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject:  

I thought I had commented on this, but obviously not!

Anyway, nice chapter! Things are getting a little sticky for our boys!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:  

Run, Run Away!

Voted, and winning.

Storygames Home -> Heroes Never Panic Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3