Free online storygaming

Heroes Never Panic, Part Three
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Storygames Home -> Heroes Never Panic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araex

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject:  

I don't think we can get him to join, as he already works with the city which is a better deal than we can give him. However, he might be willing to give up information if we question him.
jnmrcs

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:  

Haven't you heard about bribe? (not sure about the translation)

He could work for both...
Lebrenth

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Heroes Never Panic, Chap. 17  

Chapter Seventeen of "Heroes Never Panic"

Manning takes in the details of the hunter. He can almost smell the thick smug confidence exuding his skin. The pistol lays like a dead fish on the ground, but though Breyen's right hand is clearly empty, Manning can see the left hiding in the dark folds of his cloak, already gripping another instrument of death. A simple question, 'Are you a Warder?' should be safe to answer, at least to keep the conversation friendly.

"I am a Warder," Manning says, feeling a strange discomfort in his gut.

"And the men down there, Warders?" he asks in a friendly tone stripped of all fear.

"Of course. Are we the reason you're here?" Manning says, unconsciously trying to sound like the captain and hoping to begin a string of questions of his own.

"Partly. I did hear about this morning's little misadventure. Were you part of it?"

"What does it matter to you?"

"If you were, you were outside the wall at night. It's hard to observe zombies at night."

"Makes sense. ... You... just want to know what they were like last night?"

"Yes, that's why I'm here. I need to know how strong they are and how fast."

"Who do you report to?" Manning says, pleased with himself for finding another good question. The hunter considers a palpable moment before answering.

"National Defense Undersecretary Knowles. He wants an impartial review before sending reinforcements to Tiersley. It's in your best interest to help me if you don't want the city to be swarmed."

"So you have authority over the guards?"

"Not exactly," he says with a wink. "They're ordered to accommodate my needs for the investigation, not take orders from me. It's always a hassle, but they want to help me. Anyway, I'll help you get your friends back over the wall if that's what you mean."

Manning sighs. He doesn't let down his guard, but an immense stress is relieved for now.

"How long have you been here?" Breyen asks.

"A little more than a week," Manning lies effortlessly, choosing to obscure the day he deserted from the army and arrived in Tiersley. "How long have you?"

"I came in last night. It was crowded even though it was past midnight. A little rush on the East Gate scared more little people away," he says smiling and nearly laughing. "So what's your name, Warder?"

"Albert Marlow," Manning says quickly, wondering if perhaps he mixed the names up.

"Marlow," he says to himself, trying to memorize it perhaps, but almost like he's trying to recall. "So tell me about the zombies."

"... They're tough... some of them ignore head shots. They're not too smart... maybe just barely pathfinders, but they're reanimating quickly."

"Not too uncommon at night. Anything else? Perhaps something unusual happening or things you haven't heard of before?"

"There was something. We were just about to leave last night when there was this... I don't know. It rushed at us like shards of broken night... it was overwhelming... confusing.... After it passed, I felt weak... and guns starting firing on their own. It was just before the next swarm."

"A weirding. We call them weirdings, I think slayers do as well. Were you soldier?"

"No."

"Well, unusual things happen sometimes. It's important to watch for them. Anything else?"

"... What else should there be?"

"Nevermind that, I've seen things that aren't possible in places like this, but you just tell me what you saw. I can't corrupt your memory with stories."

"Nothing else that I can think of. It was a long night. ... What happens?"

"Boy, when a city is doomed, Hell itself opens for those who won't live to tell about it. The weirding you had is a welcome dream in comparison."

There is silence as both of them sort through terrible nightmares. For the Hunter, ones that he'd heard of and had once seen, and for Manning the ones mostly of feeling and shadowy impossibilities, more frightening for their indistinction than for their ordered sum. Eventually they return from their thoughts and look at each other with such unfamiliarity that they wonder how they happened to meet upon a wall between death and fear at that exact moment. The leprous city calls for help with its own fallen arm wrapping around it, screaming for blood.

"Since we're just waiting around," Breyen says to break the silence, "I was wondering if you could help me with something unofficial."

"Like what?" Manning asks apprehensively.

"I heard a friend of mine arrived in Tiersley recently... perhaps you've met him. His name is John Taggert, he was a captain in the Cassian Army."

Manning is shaken and uncertain what to say, wanting to ask a hundred questions but not daring to out of fear and uncertainty. He swallows and chooses a safe answer, but is it the right answer?

"... No... I don't think I've heard of him."

"It's all right, I'm sure he'll turn up. He always does."

The light is failing and Manning feels the world speeding up again.

"Why don't you take your hand off your other pistol and help me bring up that rope," Manning says abandoning the awkwardness of the conversation to take care of pressing matters. Breyen smiles.

"Certainly! But aren't you waiting for your friends?"

"If you can keep the guards away, we can meet them closer to the scalps. I don't think they want to spend another night out there," he says, pointing to the sun as it approaches the horizon. Breyen begins pulling up the rope, but Manning is stuck in place. Below the horizon, moving fast to the south towards his fellow Warders, a mass of figures. Breyen doesn't seem to notice, but Manning's keen eyes see them well, and more than that, he can see guns in their hands and purpose in their advance.

"Breyen what do you see over there?"

It takes a moment, but he spots them.

"They must be slayers. They're in a hurry."

"Oh god. Leave the damn rope, we got to go!"

"You'll need another rope, go ahead, I can catch up!"

Manning makes to leave and stops, then starts again, but looks back.

"I'll come! Go, warn your friends!"
Solomon Birch

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject:  

Nice, tense chapter Lebrenth. I thought the revelation that this man knew Taggert was a particularly interesting morsel. :D

I think that he should obviously warn the warders, but it seems as though they are stuck. I doubt they could all climb back up the ropes in time to get away. So could they stand and fight, if neccesary? Did they bring thier weapons with them? And are they heavily outnumbered? A dilemma to be sure...

I think that he should at least warn them, yelling down the wall seems like the fastest way of telling them. I'll be back more when and if my queries are answered. :D

*holds breath* :shock:
jnmrcs

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:  

Interesting conversation, but be aware. Maybe he isn't friend of Taggert. We need to be sure...

If you yell from the wall, don't the slayers heard you too? We need to know that.
Lebrenth

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:  

First, modification of the story! I wrote earlier that the hunter had a monocle! That was just my brain changing a binocular into a telescope (bi to mono), monocle came out. I meant a telescope and I'll change it.

Now for some elaboration:

First of all, Tower 17 was not that close to where the zombies were shot. It was a fair distance north, and the Warders are NOT going to be able to get back to the blindspot. As it is, if Manning runs he can stay ahead of the other group of slayers, but there doesn't seem to be enough time to get them up over the wall before they're caught, especially considering the other slayers have guns.

And certainly, any yelling or loud sounds will be heard by the other slayers and one way or the other the guards already know.

And by the numbers, there are 7 armed Warders with about 15 armed approaching slayers.
jnmrcs

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks for the information. But makes me have to think more...
Chinaren

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject:  

Good chapter Lebby.

I have been wondering something though.

If the zombies have the run of the place outside the city walls, where does the food come from?
Lebrenth

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject:  

chinaren wrote: I have been wondering something though.

If the zombies have the run of the place outside the city walls, where does the food come from?

The threat of the undead is in "swarms". You can find the undead in many places throughout the countries, where ever there is death, but unless you get a serious concentration there isn't enough of a threat to be completely walled. Most cities are nowhere near as bad as Tiersley, but people just don't feel safe if there isn't a walled city at least nearby. That's why there's so much of Tiersley that is in ruins without the whole city being overwhelmed. They had a nice big wall built around the heart of the city so that if a swarm came the rest of it could retreat into it, and that's what they did. For a while the city was swamped but the seige has been going on for a month and people have been taking the train out, at times as quickly as they can. There are desolate farmlands and pastures, especially on the west side of the city, that had to be abandon when the zombies came and ever since they've been relying on food storage and food shipped in by train. The food is rationed out by the military, but you can still buy it if you've got a lot of money.

And just to mention it, there are also train restrictions in place, limiting the number of people allowed to leave. They don't want it to be completely abandon or it might as well be lost already. And naturally, once a city is lost, it is considered lost forever. With such consequences, it doesn't seem to be a great exaggeration to consider humanity in considerable peril, especially when each undead victory swells their ranks and threatens all surrounding cities.

Please feel free to ask any questions that occur to you. I have a lot of information available that doesn't make it into the story. :)
Ravagerrr

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject:  

Take a shot at the advancing slayers(this could be a really dumb idea I admit) from the wall... that will distract them and alert his men! What kind of range does he have with his weapon? Is this legal for him to try?
Lebrenth

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject:  

Ravagerrr wrote: Take a shot at the advancing slayers(this could be a really dumb idea I admit) from the wall... that will distract them and alert his men! What kind of range does he have with his weapon? Is this legal for him to try?

The legality is very questionable if Manning fires from the wall. Shooting from the wall is allowed if it's against the undead, but slayers? Manning certainly doesn't know. The slayers are just within range and in a fairly close grouping, but it would take a marksman to have any real hope of hitting.

Outside of the wall, the soldiers will not stop slayers from killing each other for any reason.
Solomon Birch

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject:  

Well, as it appears that if the Warders attack, they will be butchered, or at least decimated. They have to attempt to either reason with the approaching slayers, and hope that they dont ignore them and start shooting anyway. Or, this is just a thought, Breyen could help. Maybe he can try and pursuade the guards to at least prevent a massacre. Say something like it wouldn't be proper to let two groups of Slayers butcher each other so close to the walls, that it'd attract zombies and make more, and no one wants that. If they can avoid casualties, they can avoid swelling the undead's ranks. Its worth a try. :D
jnmrcs

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject:  

I don't think it's good idea to waste time trying to find some help from the guards. Remember they don't work or have to obey Breyen. It's better to run to the warders and alert them. At least you will have the surprise... (even for just a few seconds)

But you could also just be prepared. We don't know if they will attack or see the warders. (A little hope, I have to say)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject:  

Opening fire could be your best chance. Maybe getting outside the wall first, just to legalise it, and then trying to pick them off.
Shady Stoat

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject:  

The other Slayers are presumably running from the ranks of undead behind them.

Does Manning have time to organise a wall-defence against the undead?

Perhaps, if he can hold the zombies off for long enough, the two teams of Slayers can work together to make good their escape and do some damage in the process. I doubt whether either side particularly wants a messy shoot-out when they're in danger already out there. Perhaps we can generate some goodwill between the rival bands.

After all, until the groups start working together, I think Tiersley is doomed to fall to the zombies and ghosts. We're not doing much good separately, for all the scalps we're collecting (or not, in the Warders' case).

Great chapter Lebby :D
ethereal_fauna

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject:  

I agree with the Stoat. Seems useless to engage the slayers when you're outnumbered, esp if they are fleeing zombies rather than targeting you.
Solomon Birch

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject:  

Well, it's possible that they are running for ze undead, but then again they are just as likely to be Skulls who are pissed off that the Warders (or any other Slayer group) are 'hunting' in thier grounds, and as Lebby said, its all to easy (and common) for slayers to massacre one another outside the city walls. I agree that shooting isnt a good idea, but assuming that they would work together is probably going to be just as deadly. Guns hurt just as much as filthy zombie fingernails... :shock:
jnmrcs

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject:  

Maybe we just have to alert the other Warders and wait. We don't want to star an attack if they are just fleeing from zombies.

We have to be prepared to whatever happen but I think that stoat have something right there. What if they are fleeing? We could help them, even when they only us our help this time and attack us later.
Smee

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:  

Great Chapter Lebby - and finally I have a moment to comment on it :)

I admit that I didn't get the impression they approaching Slayers were fleeing, but that could be a possibility. The Bunny inside me hopes this is true because 15 on 7 won't turn out good. At the very least I see us losing whatever scalps they've managed to collect.

Breyen suggests going to warn them, and I think we're going to have to trust him.

Not a nice option though.

Happy Writing :D
Araex

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:  

Hmmm... Lebby said only a marksman could hit... isn't Mannings a marksman? I seem to remember Taggert infering that at some point. While on the Cpt, it's very interesting that the bounty hunter knows him - and more so that he is known to have fled to this city. I thought they were being secretive? Could they have been followed by rivals, or provosts looking to hang Mannings for deserting? I think that once the situation is over, we'll have to take that into consideration.

For now, however, we have to save our friends. There are two current possible situations:

1] The slayers have seen/heard the Warders and are pissed because they're encroaching on their turf, so are coming to kill them

or

2] They are fleeing zombies. However, the group is 15 men strong - how often would they be forced to flee? So either there is a massive swarm [which would probably have been seen] or this option is rubbish. I'm inclined to think the second.

However, we have no way of determining it either way, and in both cases we must warn the other Warders - we can't be sure that shouting would be heard by our team, whereas the slayers will hear it and know what's going on. To my mind, the best option is first to fire a shot into the air. It's legal, does no damage and will warn the Warders that something's up - at least, I don't recall anything about there being a lot of gunshots going off all around, so the crack would be pretty distinct.
Lebrenth

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:  

All right, the poll is up! It's huge, but we have a lot of suggestions and I don't want to miss anything. Here's a few things to consider in response to the questions:

Yes, there is time to organize a defense. The patrols in that area have been thickened, according to proceedure, in response to the action earlier that day, so you have a strong military presence already. All you would really need to do to get organized with these well trained soldiers is point and yell "ZOMBIES!" really loud. But a gentle suggestion would work too.

If the slayers are being chased, neither Manning or Breyen can see by what, but there are a lot of places and shadows to hide and not all threats are visible.

Yes, Araex, you read correctly. Manning is an excellent shot and feels confident that he could hit at least one slayer before they took cover. Due to the fact that it takes 20 seconds to reload (and that's with a lot of practice) they would have to be very disoriented to get a second shot.

ALSO, there is a second poll in the forum: Chapter 17 Secondary Poll. This one regards Breyen and how much you want to tell him about Taggert. It will stay open for a while since the next chapter doesn't require an answer, but it will become an issue soon.
Smee

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject:  

Now this is a damn tricky decision :?
jnmrcs

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject:  

Interesting votes... :shock:
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:  

Could you give us a warning before you end this poll Lebby, I'm still making my mind up, but I don't want to miss it.

Cheers.
Lebrenth

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject:  

Smee wrote: Now this is a d-word tricky decision :?

Oooo... I got the d-word out of Smee!

All right, I'll guarantee votes through the 19th. After that it's a matter of how much time I have to work on the next chapter. Thank you for your careful consideration!
Lebrenth

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:  

Well Lordy, if you're gonna vote, better do it soon. I'll be working on the next chapter soon.
Smee

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:  

Sorry for the d-word ') and I tied it. :?

Leave our new acquaintance to organise the guards if required, get down there and warn our warders.

Happy Writing :)
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject:  

Well, I found you had a tie, so I voted to break it for you Lebby. Went for the joining the Warders option, and now winning.
Lebrenth

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject:  

Thanks Lordy. I was worried about a tie, especially with so many options!
Lebrenth

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Heroes Never Panic, Chap. 18  

Chapter 18 of “Heroes Never Panic”

The Warders are hard at work in the distance and Manning sees clearly that they have no idea the other slayers are coming. Even if he did move to a closer spot on the wall, they won’t have time to climb. There’s no time left.

“Drop the rope,” Manning says determinedly. “I’m going down.”

“You’re joking,” Breyen says. Manning shakes his head and steps over the edge with the rope in his hand.

“Thank you for your help,” Manning says as though saying goodbye, and wastes no more time. He doesn’t slide down as fast as the others, but he feels the friction heating up as he goes. And he drops the last few yards into the dry moat, its banks deep enough to hide him as he runs north to meet with his comrades. Then he leaps out and runs across the field. The Warders see him and draw their weapons, looking around for danger, but the other slayers have taken to the buildings and hide from sight.

“Sir, what’s wrong?” Bradshaw calls out.

“Slayers,” he says out of breath and pointing in their direction.

“How close are they?” another Warder asks.

“I’m surprised they’re not here… They were moving fast…. Fifteen of them,” Manning says in staggered breaths.

In the darkness of a nearby house, peering through a small crack, a Crossbones scout counts the eight Warders’. He smiles and sneaks away to tell the others.

“We’ll hide,” Bradshaw says. “Maybe they don’t know we’re here.”

“No. You run, I’ll hide,” Manning says. “I can’t keep up.”

“We don’t do things that way, sir.”

Manning is too out of breath to argue.

“Let’s just give them the scalps. It’s all they want,” Seager says.

“Take cover!” A warder yells, looking at the slayers moving in quickly. In another moment he’s dead on the ground with three bullets in him. Seager grabs his gun, followed by more shots. The Warders dive into the nearest house, the very same one they were in that morning. Manning blasts a slayer before following the rest in. They take positions in the windows and return fire, but by then, most of them have taken cover. Manning scans the scene quickly. He sees three of them moving in the house just across the street. It would only be a quick hop and a short sprint for them to be inside. Behind them, two more are keeping their distance, ready to fire from the corners of the two houses to the south. And three more have just made it upstairs in one of those houses. They fire at the Warders peeking out, but fortunately miss.

“No volleys!” Manning yells out to the others. “Stagger your shots so they can’t charge us!”

But the numbers are wrong. There should be twice this many, if not more. Manning keeps low and crosses the room, a bullet whizzes overhead as he goes. Occasional reprisals report, but as Manning suggested, they’re careful not to fire all at once. On the flank, Manning sees the rest of the slayers furtively circling around, cutting off retreat, and attempting to flank. Manning reloads and has a chance to catch his breath. When they attack, the Warders won’t stand a chance.

“Seven,” Manning says to himself, then loudly yells out, “Bradshaw!” Bradshaw hurries over. “They’re out there. They’re circling around to the back. I’m going to do something about it. I want you to watch those men on the second floor. As soon as they’re all reloading let me know.”

“You’re crazy, sir.”

“Funny, that’s what the hunter said. Just give me a signal. I can at least buy us some time.”

Bradshaw gets back into position and watches. Manning waits by the door, till Bradshaw’s hand chops the air in his direction. Then he throws open the door and makes a run for it. Another shot follows, but goes wide and Manning makes it into a side street.

He follows the slayers, moving slowly now to avoid attention. They’re spread out, moving in a line. Manning guesses their path and moves to intercept, keeping buildings between the line of sight as much as he can. They’ll be in position soon.

The shots have stopped, Manning notices. The slayers ahead of him nod to each other, and change course abruptly, heading straight for Manning. He quickly hides in a building. Hopefully they’ll put their backs to him soon and he’ll take one or two out before they know it. Then he’ll run. If they follow, the Warders have more time. If they don’t, he’ll be able to reload and try again.

“Parlay!” a Crossbone yells out to the Warders inside the house. “Parlay!” he yells again. The shots stop, leaving an eerie silence.

“What do you want?” Bradshaw yells out.

“Send someone out to talk, no weapons.”

“Not a chance! Say what you have to say right there!”

“We’re here for the scalps.”

“What scalps?”

“We heard what happened. We want the scalps.”

The Warders look at each other. They would gladly trade the scalps they collected to get out, though it would be another defeat, but the Crossbones have never been known for honor. It’s probably a trick to get someone outside so they can shoot him.

“Don’t do it!” Davison says urgently to Bradshaw. “They want us off their turf. They’ll kill us anyway!”

“What about the others?” Bradshaw yells out to the Crossbones. “We know they’re circling around us. How will they know about the deal?”

“We’ll tell them,” he says quickly. Bradshaw looks back, wondering what is happening with Manning.

In the shadow of the city as the sun dips down, the insides of these buildings are dark. Manning hides in a corner, rifle ready, when the back door creaks opens and he sees a long bayonet enter, followed by the rifle and the slayer carrying it. Manning breathes as slow as a dead man as he leans his rifle against the wall gently, and slides his sword from its sheath. The slayer pauses at the window a moment, Manning steps carefully as a cat behind him. The slayer reaches for the doorknob. Manning cups his hand over the slayer’s mouth, and slices his neck wide open. He chokes and drops to the ground as the blood drains from him. One of the slayers hears the drop. Manning ducks down, grabbing the slayer’s rifle and pulling back into the dark.

The next slayer kicks open the door and sees the slayer on the ground. Before he can yell, Manning thrusts the bayonet into his chest. The slayer fires, but misses. Manning pulls the bayonet out and quickly thrusts again, and for good measure, stabs once more. The shot alerts everyone, but they’re still in the open. Manning shoots another slayer before running back for his other rifle. Carrying the two he rushes out the opposite door, the other slayers in hot pursuit.

Manning dodges between the buildings and in a long alley, Manning aims and shoots the first slayer to enter. The slayer drops heavily to the ground and grinds to a halt, writhing in pain. Manning keeps running.

“Stop!” he hears one of the last slayers yell. Manning stops in a doorway, reloading with deliberate regularity to avoid dropping or screwing up and wasting more time. The yell wasn’t directed at him, but he’ll take all the time he can to rearm his weapon of choice. He gets both rifles pounded down solidly without seeing the pursuers. He waits patiently… till he decides they’re either going a different way, or they gave up. The latter seems most likely. Now he has the opportunity to snipe again, if it isn’t a trick.

Manning is emboldened by his success. Four of seven slayers are dead, and assuming none of the Warders have died, the numbers are now ten Crossbones to seven Warders. He backtracks, through the long alley. The slayer he shot has passed out from blood loss, his rifle lying undisturbed. He moves up suspiciously, but he sees no one. They didn’t even bother taking his gun. They must have been in a hurry. Maybe there was a signal he missed or something.

However, laying on the roof above him, the Crossbones scout waits for Manning to walk into the open before claiming his vengeance.

The shots cry out again. Manning’s fight was heard, and the slayers on both sides battle again. A Crossbone decides it’s time, and lights a grenade. He lets the fuse burn a moment, then throws it deftly inside. Seager runs over and kicks it away, but a moment too late. He absorbs most of the blast and the shrapnel, but chunks of metal cut into the backs of several Warders. The Crossbones rush the building, the last shots claiming a few lives before the swords clash against each. The Warders are trained soldiers, but the Crossbones are fierce warriors, veterans of many undead sieges and gang wars. There is no clear advantage.

Manning, confident that the slayers have joined the fight against the Warders, runs across the street toward the battle. The scout takes aim, pulls the trigger, and Manning has only the time between the pan igniting and the charge speeding the bullet toward him, to dodge. But it’s mostly luck that he ran a bit to the left instead of the right, and the shot strikes the wall in front of him. Manning looks back only a moment to see the wrath of the Crossbones scout. The venomous look on his face burns Manning’s memory, and somehow he believes he will see the scout again.

The other two slayers are ahead of him, too far to catch before they make it to the fight. Manning drops one of the rifles to help him speed up. The sky darkens quickly, and a noticeable change overcomes the land. Time is running out. The undead will be attracted to the fighting.

The two Crossbones reach the building, entering the door now. Manning takes aim, but they’re already in. He runs in behind them. Many bodies lie on the ground. He sees Bradshaw fending two Crossbones off, standing over a wounded man. Manning fires into the back of one, and throws the bayoneted rifle like a spear into the other. He draws his sword, but the fight is over.

“How many?” Manning says. The wounded man below him passes away as they speak. Bradshaw looks around. The Crossbones are all dead, but there is only Bradshaw and one other Warder alive. Davison is amongst the dead.

“We need to leave,” is all Bradshaw can say. They leave the scalps, though it is what they came for, the weapons are far more valuable, and there are many.

Breyen waits on the wall. He moved to the nearest point, though the patrols were thick. When the slayers come and the soldiers start asking if they’re allowed in, he interrupts.

“These men are with me. They’re investigating the threat to Tiersley and I have General Realta’s assurances that I will be treated with full cooperation. So if you have a problem with this, you can take it up with him.”

They back down. The haul up a load of weapons first, then head back to the building quickly to grab more. When they enter, a Crossbones slayer is waiting for them. CLICK! The gun doesn’t go off. He tries again, CLICK! Nothing. There is no powder in the gun, or bullet. The slayer stands before them stupidly, and tries to fire again. The blood from his abdomen is everywhere, more blood than a human can lose and stay alive. Soon the other bodies start moving… animating. CLICK! The zombie tries again, not understanding why it’s not working. The Warders run back, before they have a proper chance to awaken. They’re pulled up the ropes quickly and they look back. The zombie still carries the gun in his hand, but he does not approach. The soldiers all wait for them to come a little closer before firing, and the cannons on the nearby towers, turn to face them.

Before any shots are fired, the zombies turn and leave.

“Welcome back,” Breyen says to Manning.

“I have something to tell you,” Manning says sadly. “Taggert is dead.”

“… May I see his body?” he says emotionlessly. Manning nods. Breyen earned at least enough trust to show him the truth about Taggert. Whether or not to tell him anything more is yet to be seen. The Warders return to their abode with a guest. No announcement is made, because it is very clear by the faces of those who returned that no one else survived. Breyen and Manning look upon Captain John Taggert’s body. Breyen seems to hold all of his emotion in. Manning lets the death become real, for he must face the reality of death. The reality that more will die and eventually, perhaps soon, he will die too.

“How did he die?” Breyen asks. Manning tells him about the duel, and the escape of Stanimir.

And deep in the city, a creature has lost its humanity. Surrounded by death, it has grown even larger than in life, with the muscle beneath bulging till it splits the skin. And the dark forces that surround the city, ignoring walls and bullets, flows through him. It is not yet done imbuing him with its strength. The remnants of Stanimir courses with the pain of thousands of deaths, and a tormented scream is heard across all of Tiersley, a portent of a doomed fate.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:  

Nice chapter - found out more about the relative tensions between the hunters.

Is there a decision point though?
Shady Stoat

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject:  

Fantastic chapter again Lebby :shock:

Well, if there is a decision point, I guess it would be a similar one to before. How much do we trust this hunter?

Given his reactions to us so far, I think we have to try him with the truth. We have precious few allies and he seems a powerful one. Perhaps he can give us more of an overview of what goes in the City and how we can best combat it?

I'd say tell him what he needs to know - but ask him lots as well :)
jnmrcs

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject:  

Nice chapter.

I think like shady...
Ravagerrr

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject:  

I greatly enjoyed the chapter, but in a way, I wish you had stopped just a bit earlier to give a decision point during the action... at this point... I just don't really see what to decide.... but I can say that it seems that Manning is pretty much done being a captain already... not much of a crew left. Seems the Crossbones were pretty decimated as well and now their lives works have been in vain as their bodies now become the enemy... why couldn't they have come to some agreement... these people are insane! When the earth is being overrun by undead is not a time to be greedy!

I think Manning should trust in fate and try to find out what this stranger can do for the city, assuming it is soon to be overrun. He should offer his services to that end.
Lebrenth

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject:  

Every moment is an opportunity for change, but I did not set up the last chapter with a decision point. That is because I'm leaving for the summer, living in a tent for 2 months or more and I will have no access to the internet. My thanks to everyone who has been following the story, but it will have to rest until I get back to civilization next fall. Sorry we didn't get farther, but I ran out of time. When I start up again, I'll write another chapter to get us warmed up again and I'll have a better situation ready for discussion and voting.

I will miss you guys :) See you in August!
jnmrcs

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject:  

We will miss you... and your story too.
Chinaren

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject:  

Damn. A tent for two months with no internet access! I think I would shrivel up and fall over!

Anyway, have fun Lebs, we will be waiting for you!

*Settles in for the long haul*
Ravagerrr

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:  

Your friendly 'nemesis' bids you adieu. I think thats how you spell it... anyhow... enjoy yer tent... it actually sounds fun! I'd love to go camping all summer! I'd miss IF tho... Will be happy to have ya back afterwards!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:  

Not good enough for you are we then? Fine - be that way.

*Sulks*

Try not to fall off a cliff or something - it would be a shame if the story didn't finish.
jnmrcs

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:  

lordofthenight wrote: Try not to fall off a cliff or something - it would be a shame if the story didn't finish.

Yeah, be carefull... ;)

Storygames Home -> Heroes Never Panic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3