Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Lords and Ladies. General discussion thread.
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Storygames Home -> Lords and Ladies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject:  

Just caught up with this one China and might I say nice. Also I voted for the Marshal Ren. In times like this it is best to present a strong military force to your foes although I recommend getting Councilor Merkon on you side ASAP. Simple because you'll need a people person to keep the citizens from getting...worried.
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject:  

Well, look at that. The vote has disagreed with the comments! Mind you, I may have split the mage vote.

Welcome to the story D and Rai!

Voting is still open, so get em in. I will start working on the next chapter soon. Assuming RL eases up a little. It suddenly has become a bit busy, which has thrown my schedule off.
Smee

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject:  

To the mage hall :D

Just need another two to vote the same ;)
Chinaren

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:  

OKay then, I am starting work on the next chapter, so closing the poll. Thanks for your votes!
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject:  

It'd be risky, but he could try and have the Father replaced. It's doubtful that he'd have any replacements at hand though. Maybe try investigating the hand - prove it was cut off by natural means, in an attempt to stop the corination, rather that the hand (no pun intended) of God.
JezSharp

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject:  

Yes a very tricky dilemma...he could start by pointing out the differences between the two stories to Father Ted - as in neither he nor Ted have lost a right hand and therefore the sign is clearly that to make another other than himself King would be going against God...or he could have them all spread outand hunt for clues as to who had moved the hand there (there ought to be a trail of blood spots possibly leading away from the hand) but I think using the obvious reasoning above would be best. If that fails then they could declare that Father Ted has been taken ill and a replacement chosen to perform the ritual. This would rely on Father Ted's hasty banishment or imprisonment (for the latter announce treason against him as the reason for a replcement) as he is being forced into fighting cunning with cunning here.
Argonaut

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:  

exileing or imprisoning the country's religious leader is not a good way to start your rule. Even if they manage to cover it up for now, that's just more ammo for enemys to use against you later, because you know it will be discovered eventually. Convincing the patriarch that it's not god somehow looks like the best option, but unless there are soem obvious clues around I have no idea how they're going to do it.
dinranwen

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:  

I have to agree with Jez, here try to reason with the man. Try to prove that it was indeed a man that set it the hand there, and not god. Also, is there anyway that Bryold can prove beyond any doubt that he is the rightful king in the eyes of their gods? Certainly there must be some scripture for such a time?

If not, well then, ask if Milak is the rightful king. Tell the Patriach if he Milak is the rightful king in the sight of their gods the hand should dispair if he slipping says: "If it be that Milak be the rightful king, let the hand disappear I pray thee. But if I, let the sign remain and prove that either god disagrees with both heirs or that man has put this hand here."

That's the best I can suggest.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject:  

Maybe it was the Hand of God, and he should just leave again.
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject:  

Some good suggestions here. When I wrote this I really had no idea of what to do. You guys :wub:

He could get Father Tred to pray himself of course, or other mystical means.

Replacing the Patriarch wouldn't be easy to do, but maybe he could say he was sick or something, though this would be seen as a bad omen by most.
JezSharp

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject:  

Some more ideas (not close to twenty though :( )

The King could declare himself unwell and hold the coronation the next day when there should be a different Patriarch as Father Ted is Patriarch of the day.

They could quickly remove the hand and convince Father Tedthat he was hallucinating under the stress - however he may just become more convinced it's the wrong choice.

They could just broadcast the truth to the crowd but with subtle spin, 'The ceremony has been sabotaged by those unfriendly to the King by the mutilation of a persons hand fromtheir torso which has then been placed within the Chapel to scare poor Father Ted.' perhaps even have the King himself read itout if he's good with publicity, he may be able to charm the crowd at the same time. The majority of the crowd aren't stupid (hopefully) and without anything better to fall back on this may well work.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject:  

My suggestion is to attempt to find another passage in the scriptures where a sign was faked and disaster happened, there are plenty of them in most religious texts. Convince the holy man with holy words. Or you could spin it that Byrold is so much the right king for the job that the had that was struck off long ago has been returned.

Otherwise do like has been suggested and point out all the discrepencies between the sudden apperance of the hand and the real story.
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:  

Yeah, when Henry VIII wanted a divorce he quoted Leviticus, but there was something that contradicted Leviticus.
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: My suggestion is to attempt to find another passage in the scriptures where a sign was faked and disaster happened, there are plenty of them in most religious texts.

That's a good suggestion. The only problem with that is that the Holy Book is the priests 'territory' and anything they are likely to come up with the priest is likely to know and counter. However, should Father Tred want to believes Byrold, it may work...
D-Lotus

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject:  

Hmmm. This is hard. Obviously, we could threaten Father Tred into doing what we ask, but this would most likely have bad long-term effects. It's still an option. Another option is to promise him money.

He seems too scared, though. Maybe we could improvise: Byrold falls on the floor exclaiming: "God, chop off my hands if I don't deserve my kingdom!"

If his hands fall off...tough luck.

He could also argue that the message of the hand was actually meant for the second successor, signified by only one hand instead of two as in the scripture.

Also- what clothes is Father Tred wearing? If he is wearing something over his head, or if there's something we can put on his head, then Sterling or one of the others can fake being Father Ted. After carrying out the ritual, we can help Tred understand- or kill him.

By the way, isn't Tred a goofy name for a high priest? :)
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject:  

Is Byrold a good enough wizard to do 'suggestion' as in suggest that Byrold's scripture based arguments are strong and vaild. With that suggestion in Father Tred's mind I bet we could win him over since what Priest wants to doubt the holy word of God?

Especially in this case?
Chinaren

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject:  

Kalanna Rai wrote: Is Byrold a good enough wizard to do 'suggestion' as in suggest that Byrold's scripture based arguments are strong and vaild. With that suggestion in Father Tred's mind I bet we could win him over since what Priest wants to doubt the holy word of God?

Especially in this case?

Sadly Byrold's magic levels are not good enough to pull this one off yet. Think of him as an apprentice, with a fair amount of Lore and theory, but not much practical application experience.

Some good suggestions for this one people. I have put up a poll with some of them merged a bit, as otherwise it would have just been too big.

So... vote away! :D
Smee

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:  

A good chapter and a tricky situation.

I've voted for trying to persuade him - Jez came up with good ideas.

There really isn't time for anything else.

Happy Writing :D
OldJoe

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:  

Ah reckon yer should try an reason with the fellah, afore yer take any serious action. So ah voted fer such.
Chinaren

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject:  

I will be working on the next chapter of this in the next few days, so any more votes, get them in quick!
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject:  

Went for reasoning with him and broke the tie.
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject:  

There was a tie?
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject:  

Back when I voted there was...now not really.
Chinaren

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject:  

I have updated the maps and world background at the start of this thread, so please take a look. (Especially the 'set players!')

New chapter is progressing, but I have been distracted by the holidays here, and the next coulple of days I am going to be a bit busy, but it is on the way!
o-)
Argonaut

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:  

well there seems to be no shortage of warlike totalitarian dictators. If Byrold ever makes it to king he better get friendly with the elves. Because it looks like they are the only likely allies :) Unless the inscrutable bug monsters turn out to be really nice guys, haha.
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject:  

As the chapter has progressed I have updated my notes* and also the maps at the top of the thread. You now have a general, albiet rather crude map of the larger area around Yroth.

Next chapter is coming soon, I promise! I have a lot of background stuff to work out as well as the writing, which is slowing me down.

*Lots and lots of notes.
The White Blacksmith

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject:  

Put someone as his superior (call him bob, or Pounds) and have that person make Sterling stay with him constantly. Sterling will stay in a position where he can help Byrold, but he will be supervised and he will not be as powerful as he used to be.
Argonaut

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:  

Having a known traitor in your employ, even if he is watched constantly, is a dangerous thing. Still it's better than having and unknown traitor :) If Byrold is to keep Sterling around he can't really trust any information he gets, since any of it may be purposly leading him into a trap or simply misdirecting him. Still, information is always usefull. They could keep Sterling locked up and get infromation from him on the promise of future release if it turns out to be good, and penalty of death if he gives out any misderection.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:  

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I say keep Sterling with you at all times and have the mage put a compulsion of truth upon him if such can be done. This way he can't lie to you. Putting him in the dungeons just runs the risk of his cohorts helping him escape.

Or you can just say you forgive him and feed him false information with the hope he will continue his vile treason. This way both sides are using him as a propaganda weapon.
JezSharp

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:  

Yes I f5 Whitey, ensure he is bound to a supervisor but free providing he provides useful information. I so love this sg - great Chapter China :clap:
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:  

Nice chapter China. I like the way Byrold manipulated Tred, and how he's shaping up to be quite a leader.

I think Byrold can't afford to forgive a traitor like Sterling at this point. If he does, everyone will think he's weak, and he can't afford that now, when he hasn't even been crowned. Byrold must be ruthless. For now, imprison Sterling and see what info you can get from him through torture.

Byrold should also consider conducting a purge. Eldra has too many infiltrated people, and its getting worse every time. Find those who are faithful to him and promote them. Get rid of the corrupt or those who seem to doubt of you.
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:  

Oooh, a purge eh? Could be interesting.

Actually, the DPs and how Byrold reacts will now start to shape the kind of person he is, and how he rules when/if! he becomes king, and how his people view him.

I mean he could turn into a benevolent and kind ruler, or one bent on conquest who ruthlessly controls his people and country. :?

Good comments so far guys, keep em coming.
Jack_D.Mented

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject:  

It's better that he die an honest man than live as a traitor. Kill him.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject:  

Nothing has actually been linked back to Eldra yet - a move against her - while prudent - could be seen as the act of a tyrant.

Not that there's anything wrong with tyrants of course, but they do seem to upset people. However, inquisitors are also fun, so send him to them.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:  

Well, when do you plan to start getting rid of her? She obviously already attempted it with you various times. Right now, this is a battle for Byrold's survival. If Eldra kills him, then he won't a tyrant or a benevolent ruler- he'll just be dead.
dinranwen

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:  

I would have to agree with both Rai and Whitey here, at least to some extent.

Sterling may be a traitor but he can still be used. I once read a book once on the history of some of the old kingdoms. One king when confronted with a situation like this did something dangerous, interesting, and useful all it once.

A man, his head servant man to be exact, had been collecting gold from the royal treasuries and hiding it in a secret location. The man was found out of course, and the king had the same choice we do.

Want to know what he did?

After a long discussion where the man seemed generally sorry, the King let him go and followed him directly to the gold.

However just before the man got to the mine he had a change of heart, something about the King's charity appealed to him, he returned to the king with the gold in hand and once again begged his forgiveness. As a reward, the King domoted him to the lowest position in the castle with the exception that if the servant proved trustworthy with the dirtest hardest job in the Kingdom, he would be promoted until maybe one day reaching his positon as steward to the king.

Why not do the same here? Make Sterling a pig-keeper or something, this way he is in sight, but not in a postition that could threaten the king. Also by planting spies around Sterling, not only will you be able to watch him closely, but will also be able to feed him falsehoods via a very babbly kitchen wrentch, mixed with rumors, truths, and fairytales, the positon would work in your favor totally.

Sterling wouldn't be a threat in a lowly position as a pig keeper, he would be watched, and possibly his superiors may loose interest in him since he no longer has any influence or power in the castle leaving Sterling with only one place to turn if he has any hope of gaining anything of his miserable situation: Bryold. Once Sterling is in the position he might be willing to rat out his superiors who did nothing to improve his surrondings.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:  

Or - of course - he could also run away, and escape without punishment.
juggernaut

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject:  

Sterling has knowledge of the kingdom that could be far too dangerous left unsecure. Also, he has influence in the city that could be useful to Byrold. Killing Sterling would be a waste, however some punishment is in order. I think Master Wizard Mazell should turn him into a parrot or some other creature so he can still be accessible to give advice. As long as Sterling is promised the opportunity to regain his human form through loyal service to Byrold i believe Sterling might be a valuble commodity. At any rate, Sterling's part in the King's death must be ascertained. If he did take part in an assassination, there is no other choice but to publicly execute him. A future King must be firm and swift when an injustice has been uncovered
OldJoe

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:  

Ah was goin' ter say yer should do him in, but ah like Mr.Juggernaut's parrot ideah.
Kalanna Rai

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:  

Indeed the idea has merit however, if you turn him into some small creature what's to say he won't escape and go find someone willing to give him his form back in exchange for information? Still turning Sterling into something, like a sterling silver amulet that can only talk to those loyal to Byrold might be nice.

Also have Sterling prove his loyalty by ratting out his fellow traitors...of course if he does this he'll be proving himself a traitor twice over and you know what Alexander did with those...Whatever suits you I say keep Sterling around as a medallion until he's outlived his usefulness as both advisor and fashion accessory then quietly dispose of him.

Storygames Home -> Lords and Ladies Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4