Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming
 

Lords and Ladies. Chapter 8 - The Farmer King.
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
       Storygames Home -> Lords and Ladies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Chinaren



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Posts: 8791
Location: http://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Lords and Ladies. Chapter 8 - The Farmer King.  

{removed}
Back to top  
JezSharp



Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 592
Location: The middle of anywhere...

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:  

Well considering that Vesteral are generally neutral to friendly with Yroth it would seem best for him to find the embassy/governers house and claim that he was making a surprise personal visit when attacked, then ask for assistance home, whilst praising the mayor (or person of equivalent standing of his country in general - the crown should be enough proof of who he is).
Back to top  
dinranwen
Guest





Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:  

I would say avoid the garrison, if possible without looking suspicous, and try to get to this 'wall' the farmer spoke of. This is a foriegn country, and without knowing the countries intentions or postion on his recent disapperance, Bryold should take no chances.

And the set players are more than ready to recieve an interesting p.m...... :D

I love when things get sublty interesting...
Back to top  
Kalanna Rai
Guest


Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 3075
Location: The Frozen North

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:  

I'd try for the Wall, which is obviously the border, and jump it. Or if Byrold is in a less than Rambo-like mood maybe he can snoop around and see if he can't figure out why the Vestral are hunting him. It could be that they're looking for him to return him...though that doesn't seem likely considering the people are being far more friendly to Eldra than to him.

I still say he pretends to be mad. Obviously that makes people avoid you and not take to heart what you say.
Back to top  
Almar Crowkiller
Guest





Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:  

Im with going to find an embassy of some sort. Definitly not contact the garrison and try to get over the wall......that didnt help did it? :-o :shock:
Ha ha im with the going mad as well if only for a very comical aspect. (great writing as usual by the way)
Back to top  
hewithoutaname
Guest


Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 139
Location: A dark cavern lit by torches crafted of bone.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:  

Being there without knowledge is a bad thing for Byrold so I would agree with staying a while and finding out whatever he could. Other than that there is the wall, or he could try to knock out a guard to further disguise himself during his stay.

And even if similar to the previous chapter, this chapter does throw in a new factor to be looked at.
Back to top  
Argonaut
Guest


Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 344
Location: California

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject:  

I'm interested in what this book was that Duck mentioned. And why he thought it was his duty to help Byrold. I'm not sure how he would find any information about this but if there are people who feel it's their duty to help strangers around he could sure use their help.
Back to top  
Mother Goose
Guest


Joined: 09 May 2004
Posts: 511
Location: Connecticut

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject:  

Duck told him where the Wall was. That implies that there's a way to get through, over, or under it, or at least Duck thinks so. The Wall, according to the maps and information, is on the southern border, and the country south of Vestrel is Charredal. So if he can get past the wall, at least he'll be out of the place where soldiers come around looking for strangers.

He has a lot of ground to cover to get back to Yroth. Maybe he should try to find a ship, to make faster time. But Vestrel does not seem friendly and I think he needs to get out of there as soon as he can. Try for the Wall.
Back to top  
hewithoutaname
Guest


Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 139
Location: A dark cavern lit by torches crafted of bone.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject:  

Good point Mother Goose, but leaving with out the knowledge of why he is being hunted may end up hurting him in the long run. If he stays a little bit and figures the reason out he might uncover plots set to dispose of him.

Otherwise I would agree with you completely. Also argueing is my hobby.
Back to top  
Mother Goose
Guest


Joined: 09 May 2004
Posts: 511
Location: Connecticut

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject:  

Isn't the reason he's being hunted the same as the reason he ended up there? So Eldra can get rid of him as king. I wouldn't stick around trying to uncover plots, I'd just get out of there if I could.

I like to argue too. :)
Back to top  
D-Lotus
Guest


Joined: 21 Oct 2004
Posts: 4123
Location: Hollywood, USA

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:  

Woohoo, another new chapter! I read this for the intrigue...it makes the hair in back of my head stand up. ;)

One thing doesn't make sense. According to Byrold's story, he is a traveler who got lost, therefore, the officer who intruded into Duck's house would be able to help him. Then why did Duck hide him, if he believed the story?

So the only logical explanation is that Duck knew the truth of Meek's identity to some extent. He must have heard that someone was being hunted. For some reason, Duck hid him. This can only signify that Duck knew that if he was found, something bad was going to happen to him. Therefore, I think it is unwise to contact any source of authority or incite suspicion.

Attempting to escape the country is a good idea, and so is finding all the information you can. After all, information is weightier than gold in this country, and the story focuses on intrigue. As for shelter and food, its going to be hard not to make people suspicious. Although we want to stay away from suspicion, we're going to have to risk using the jewels sooner or later. Make up some story- tell them its a family heirloom. Then trade it for currency, which you can use at liberty much more easily than the jewels. Promise them more, but tell them you have it stored or hidden, and hopefully they won't attempt to attack you.

After gathering information, perhaps things will roll more smoothly and give us a chance to escape. If not, taking up the identity of a soldier, merchant or trader can buy you a ticket out, especially if you claim the necessity of travel.

As for the writing- the accent was good, although not perfect. Keep working on it, and keep the story going, its getting better every time! :D
Back to top  
LordoftheNight
Guest


Joined: 11 Aug 2005
Posts: 5262
Location: Hell

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject:  

Not necissarily. Duck could simply have known strangers are ill-treated by certain groups, and therefore hidden Bryold without knowing they were looking for him in particular. Once he discovered who they were looking for, he did send 'Meeks' on his way.

If he suddenly informed the soldiers that 'Meeks' was a stranger, fitting their description, then he may have been in trouble too.
Back to top  
D-Lotus
Guest


Joined: 21 Oct 2004
Posts: 4123
Location: Hollywood, USA

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:  

In any case, it means that Byrold doesn't want it to be known that he is a stranger.

Besides, Meeks never said wether he was from another country- Duck didn't know if he was from Vestrel or not. There was not much questioning from either side, and Duck's unnatural curiosity must signify he's not a usual person. He hid Meeks for his own reason, and we'll probably never know why; but it is clear Byrold is in danger.
Back to top  
solus.serpen
Guest


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 608
Location: UK

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject:  

Great new chappy, and I like all the suggestions/ideas so far.
I would just like to say though, I don't think he would just be able to leave through the wall. It was my first reaction that he should just keep on pretending to be ill, or a lost farmer, or going to see someone, make sure he looked a bit different and walk through the gate unnoticed. Then I realised that they may well search him, and almost certainly ask a few questions.
Charredel doesn't sound like a place people generally go to for a holiday, or live in, or even try to pass through. Even if the guards on Vestrel's side of the gate don't stop him, I'm sure that he would have to undergo some form of interrigation once he reached the other side. :?
Maybe though, this wouldn't be such a bad thing, as long as he got passed Vestrels borders. Charredel, from their letters, seem to be neutral, just bordering on 'meeks' side ;).

Solus
Back to top  
Jack_D.Mented
Guest


Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Posts: 958
Location: Hiding out in the woods of Washington

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject:  

I, personally, would steal a horse and haul a** to the border. Plots can be uncovered later. Right now, survival is paramount.

Keep on haulin all through Charredel and don't stop till you get home.

But, that's just me.

Great chapter, by the way.
Back to top  
Chinaren
Guest


Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Posts: 8791
Location: http://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject:  

Great responses so far people! Bear in mind he doesn't know exactly how far the wall is, and he is rather tired too.
Back to top  
Smee
Guest


Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Posts: 5215
Location: UK

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject:  

I think Dani mentioned it, but if/when we finally trade the jewelery, it needs to be for actual coinage, and not for 'a bed for the night' etc. One ring should get plenty of money, only some of which would be required for a bed in such a small gathering of civilisation near the Garrison.

One idea, if we're feeling a little courageous. The garrison will more than likely have someone who receives gold from the capital to pay the wages of the soldiers on a weekly basis. That person, if we could find them, might be amenable to buying a ring or two off us for a relatively cheap price (using the capital's money), selling them on himself for more, and keeping the profit. Their deal being as shady as a 'farmer' having a gold ring, should limit the questions on either side.

Regardless of whom we sell it to, it shouldn't be the innkeeper - don't want them paying us money for a ring before setting the price of the room, knowing what gold we have. If we do find a buyer, also ask for some small change. A farmer with a gold coin is as suspicious as a gold ring. We want some coppers, small silvers etc. as well.

That's enough about money... a good chapter Chinaren, I'm never one to worry about the slow chapters - indeed I didn't even consider it a slow chapter until you said. Going from the middle of nowhere with no hope, to some relative civilisation with a suitable disguise and a good idea where we are in the world sounds like quite a productive chapter to me.

As for longer term. Hmmm... kinda undecided. Information gathering I think. I'm relucatant to head to the necromancers' lands. Sounds more dangerous that where we currently are.
Back to top  
Kalanna Rai
Guest


Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 3075
Location: The Frozen North

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject:  

Hawk the jewels as fast as you can, maybe the robes too. I wouldn't want to say you ambushed a noble, and the crown would be too much...besides you might need it later. Then get a room at the inn, keep up with this 'i've been sick' and keep your mouth well shut.

Then snoop around, most important thing of all. If you snoop you can figure out how far from which borders you are then make a decision about where to run. At the moment you've got two choices. Magical lizards or walking dead...take your pick of borders.
Back to top  
DELETED
Guest





Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:  

DELETED
Back to top  
Masterweaver
Guest


Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1463
Location: Look around

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject:  

Yeah...Sell the jewels and his services and that guy who keeps hanging around him! ;)
Back to top  
Almar Crowkiller
Guest





Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:  

Alright ill just respond that i would like to change my vote and go with Zephyr and say he should join some sort of merchant expedition not only because it affords him a place to sleep and eat but because if he finds a merchant that hires gaurds from many countries he might be able to blend in even easier(mind you with the soldiers response to outsiders it seems less that likely) Also i think he should sell all his things except for his sword and his crown. with the money he could by a new set of clothes, a horse(maybe) and probably some reliable information.
Back to top  
Chinaren
Guest


Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Posts: 8791
Location: http://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:  

Wooo! Some good ideas in here!

I will leave it a little while longer, then put up a poll.

so far we have (roughly)

Try and find a dodgy geezer to trade with.

Hock the jewels and then gear up and explore.

Hock the jewels, gear up and get out of there!

Find the Guvnr's house and ask for official aid.

Try and get to 'the wall'.

Snoop around, maybe pretend to be mad.

Try and waylay someone (maybe a guard) and get their clothing.

Try and find out about 'the book'.

Seek a position with a merchant band.

Okay, some of those can be combined.
Back to top  
Masterweaver
Guest


Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1463
Location: Look around

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:  

Oh my. Chin, how do you get so many posts? I want some posts!
Back to top  
Argonaut
Guest


Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 344
Location: California

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:  

Masterweaver wrote: Oh my. Chin, how do you get so many posts? I want some posts!

Chinaren has been writing storygames for a long time, and they have been consistently good storygames. That is why he gets so many posts. :)
Back to top  
Masterweaver
Guest


Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1463
Location: Look around

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:  

Is that an insult?
Back to top  
Argonaut
Guest


Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 344
Location: California

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:  

I don't insult people, weaver. I thought it was a clear answer to your question.
Back to top  
Smudger
Guest


Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 382
Location: Writers Block R Us

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: re  

And finally I have caught up! :clap: Great story so far Cina, well done. f5 with Jez, get help from the narby garrison or narby officials. Hope to read more.
Back to top  
Chinaren
Guest


Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Posts: 8791
Location: http://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject:  

Poll is now up.

I will merge the 'Hock the jewels to a dodgy geezer' into the first two options, and 'find out about the book' into the 'snoop about' option. Otherwise there are a few too many choices.
Back to top  
solus.serpen
Guest


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 608
Location: UK

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject:  

:D first vote to me.
Torn between last two, but decided to go with band.

~Solus
Back to top  
D-Lotus
Guest


Joined: 21 Oct 2004
Posts: 4123
Location: Hollywood, USA

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject:  

Won't he have to hock the jewels to buy supplies and clothes to appear like a merchant?
Back to top  
DELETED
Guest





Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:  

DELETED
Back to top  
Chinaren
Guest


Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Posts: 8791
Location: http://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject:  

D-Lotus wrote: Won't he have to hock the jewels to buy supplies and clothes to appear like a merchant?

I believe the suggestion was to become a guard in a band, rather than a merchant, using his sword skills. if you voted for the last one, and believe he should hock the jewels first (which has some risk attached remember) then please say something! It's kinda another suggestion. :?
Back to top  
DELETED
Guest





Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject:  

DELETED
Back to top  
solus.serpen
Guest


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 608
Location: UK

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject:  

To check: I voted join as a gaurd with the merchants, and keep the jewels.

~Solus
Back to top  
Masterweaver
Guest


Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1463
Location: Look around

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject:  

TEN WHOLE VOTES!
Back to top  
Chinaren
Guest


Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Posts: 8791
Location: http://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject:  

This is looking like a bit of a given, but I will keep the poll open over the weekend anyway.

Now all I have to do is totally rethink my entire plotline. :shock:
Back to top  
D-Lotus
Guest


Joined: 21 Oct 2004
Posts: 4123
Location: Hollywood, USA

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:  

chinaren wrote: D-Lotus wrote: Won't he have to hock the jewels to buy supplies and clothes to appear like a merchant?

I believe the suggestion was to become a guard in a band, rather than a merchant, using his sword skills. if you voted for the last one, and believe he should hock the jewels first (which has some risk attached remember) then please say something! It's kinda another suggestion. :?

Yes, I do believe he should hock the jewels first. How will the merchants accept him if he has nothing? I wonder if the people who voted the last option think like me, or if the majority is against hocking the jewels. Zephyr is against it, anybody else? I ask this merely because it is a point of confusion I'd like to resolve before China writes the next chapter.
Back to top  
Chinaren
Guest


Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Posts: 8791
Location: http://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject:  

Quote: How will the merchants accept him if he has nothing?

I could probably swing it, but it would be harder if he was in his farmers rags.

As I said above, let me know.
Back to top  
Smudger
Guest


Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 382
Location: Writers Block R Us

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: re  

I said go to a nearby garrison, though I now know that to be a bad choice as the are in support of Eldra and would most likely make him "disappear."
Back to top  
Chinaren
Guest


Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Posts: 8791
Location: http://www.NeilHartleyBooks.com

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject:  

Masterweaver wrote: Maybe you should close the poll?

I will close it when I am ready MW. Stop spamming.
Back to top  
 
       Storygames Home -> Lords and Ladies Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2


Powered by phpBB Search Engine Indexer
Powered by phpBB 2.0.16 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group