Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Mayor and Vice-Mayor
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Election Oct 08
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir wax

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Mayor and Vice-Mayor  

I have talked to Key about the possibility of having two new Mayors. The winner, and the runner-up or perhaps chosen by the elected Mayor. One reason would be to divvy up the responsibilities, but also to collaborate with to better If with policy, creatively and technically.

What do you feel about this idea?

If you became Mayor, who would you want to be your Vice-Mayor (or whatever we may call it) and why?

How would you divvy up responsibilities and what would you work on in your spare time to better If? (You may want to consult each other for this one)

I await anxiously for your replies. :smile:

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject:  

What an idea, it'll never work!
Chinaren is a GOD

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Interesting  

mmm. Interesting. Am I logged in or not? :?
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mayor and Vice-Mayor  

sir wax wrote: I have talked to Key about the possibility of having two new Mayors. The winner, and the runner-up or perhaps chosen by the elected Mayor. One reason would be to divvy up the responsibilities, but also to collaborate with to better If with policy, creatively and technically.

What do you feel about this idea?

If you became Mayor, who would you want to be your Vice-Mayor (or whatever we may call it) and why?

How would you divvy up responsibilities and what would you work on in your spare time to better If? (You may want to consult each other for this one)

I await anxiously for your replies. :smile:

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot

Way back in the good old days of IF before I joined, Key had a group called Builders. As far as I can gather these were people who made tangible contributions to IF, such as coding, graphics and so on. For example, there was a guy called Stubby (he left way before my time) who was responsible for a lot of the way this site works. I also understand that SGOTM winners were temporary builders whilst their winning SGs were active.

Builders weren't responsible for the day to day running of the forums. They were about making changes and improvements, and were seperate from the Council.

My more 'open' Mayoral style gives me access to a greater spectrum of talent to work with (rather like the Builders) than if one specific individual was assigned as a vice mayor.

While I get on with the Admin role, those talented collaborators would have the freedom to run their own projects and bring their ideas to fruition. As Mayor I'd do all in my power to make sure they have what they need.

Although this is a less formal solution it gives everyone the opportunity to contribute in their own way without adding an extra layer of hierarchy which I'm not sure is a good thing.

Of my own talents and contributions I bring computer graphics, writing and management skills to IF, which I have applied to IF constantly, whether I've been Mayor or not.
scissorkitty

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject:  

I love the idea, and I especially love the idea as extrapolated by her greeness, the Frog.

VERY cool idea!
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject:  

Ah yes, but Crunchy, wouldn't adding the Builders also create another layer in the IFian Heirchy???
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject:  

No - I'd not be looking at creating a new layer or group. This would be co-ordinating and empowering individuals so that they can do what they do best for IF. This might range from something like managing a competition to developing an enhancement to the site, and anything in between.

As an illustration, last years IFYs was run by a large team. People were empowered to run the polls, or create slogans, write reviews, or run adverts in their storygames. Although as Mayor I was overseeing it, I was just a part of the team - my role was creating the IFY graphics. Even Key got involved as the Apedog trainer, and successfully got the hairy dude to hold up an advertising banner without dropping it. :D

I am saying that I would use the same empowerment approach for any project on IF. The Mayor cannot be expected to do it all or even the majority of it - and its a lot more fun when the ideas come from everyone and we all pull together as a team.

Some Ifians are working on multimedia and podcasts for storygames. As Mayor I would do what I can to make sure they have what they need so that they can concentrate on bringing their project to life.

I think that having a Mayor and Vice Mayor is limiting and creates an unnecessary extra level of hierarchy. We've got some talented people out there, and if I were Mayor I'd want to be in direct contact with everyone as a team no matter who they are...

Team IF, if you will.

:)

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject:  

CF its your choice. I think it isn't a bad idea having a vice-mayor, but it would be unnecassary. I think that the mods are like vice-mayors, plus they help king on the site and the mayor. :D
sir wax

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject:  

Here is my main thing:

1. I think that for this the qualities of such candidates would have to have a certain yin-yang quality to work. When I brought it up, I had two individuals in mind.

2. "Vice-Mayor" was just a term I was using to get the point across, it would actually more work along the lines of being two admins besides Key, you know, like other sites that grow have more than one who can take care of things. Shouldn't it make sense that we should as well?

3. All this talk about hierarchy is a non-issue. This isn't about hierarchy, it's about who you would want to work with on the same level? Who would you want to collaborate with? How would you collaborate with that person?

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject:  

If king is willing to. Then I say that there should be a chat admin around, so that king don't have to clear/delete the box everytime in the chat. In anime forum you get global admin and global moderator. I think it would work well with a global moderator, since there isn't any chance of a global admin, since If isn't made out of another site, like pro-boards. If I could be a Global morderator, I certainly go for it. I think it would be unfair if they don't vote for the Glob mod. Should they vote for one?

Edit:Oops, I didn't notice I was posting in the election thread. But you could read my question.
Key

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject:  

Just to clarify:

This election is for the office of Mayor. Once the Mayor is elected, it is up to him or her to decide how to delegate the Mayoral responsibilities. The Mayor's plans for delegation are legitimate topics for debate, and candidates are welcome to express their views on this, as CF has.

Normally, the Mayor handles all duties requiring Forum Admin rights. But if a Mayor wanted me to grant Forum Admin rights to another person to assist in the Mayoral duties, I'd consider that (it's not without precedent, as some Mayors have delegated certain duties to previous Mayors). The Mayor would still remain ultimately responsible and could be held accountable at the next election.

Regarding Chat administration, that's the Mayor's responsibility as well. I haven't been doing that for a long time. If there are any missing tools or passwords, I'm happy to supply them.

:-)
NeverNeverGirl

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject:  

Utilising the skills of citizens is a great idea and one that I believe we for the most part tap already. It can never hurt to do a 'census' of sorts to discover what skill sets we have out there for the Mayors reference when a task comes up. :D

As for the chat mods - the Innk is currently staffed by CF, Ren, Lordy, Wax and Myself (apart from Key). We seem to cover the chat fairly well (as far as dealing with 'trouble' goes) and a few of the regular chatters have some of us on IM and we are very contactable. I believe that there isn't a need at present to expand on that list of 'admins'.

In reference to Crady's comment about clearing chat (Global Mods etc) it is my belief that the chat is set to keep history for only 48 hours before it is auto cleared. :D

The issues of Heirachy that come up over and over again are not really very relevant to the discussion at hand. There are always going to be levels of heirachy in Forums such as this it is something that is unavoidable and as this is IF and roleplaying abounds so the roles are emphasised somewhat. (ie the Evil Chancellor, The Miserly Ren, The Altruist Mayor, The Rotund King, The Queen of FF, etc etc) If you ask the regular Ifian (and I have) they don't feel at all intimidated or upset with the 'heirachy' - it adds a level of fun to the forum, giving it a Real Fantasy City feel that most of other sites lack and for which they suffer.

IF is suffering from a bout of PC that seems to be infecting every layer of her soul - she is no longer the fun place she was during Rens Mayoral Term. I believe that this can be attributed to one thing alone - half of the stuff Ren did he did without consulting overlong (if at all) with the council. IF was the better for it. Having a say is a good thing but arguing ridiculously over semantics does nothing but harm the environment of camraderie that exists in If.

IF needs to restablish those elements that made her the loved place she is as well as reinvigorating her by completing the ideas that have begun to be implemented - this is her way forward and few can fail to see that.
Crossfire

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject:  

I don't really know what the question is here. *Looks upwards.* Yay! :S

I suppose that if someone WANTS to be Vice-Mayor, I guess they should be voted into the position, but if I have to CHOOSE one, it'll be kinda' hard. *Unhappily.*

A Skills Pool sorta' system would be a nice idea... I'm not the best at some of the poky-number/code related details, and if there are others that can help me, I'd be happy to let them! I AM NOT ASHAMED OF MY TOTAL INABILITY TO OPEN A NEW WINDOW! T_T

I like the other suggestion, too! Silly Council-thingies! Let the Mayor/Mayoress/Mayorin' do the Mayor/Mayoress/Mayorin''s job! Personally, I would collapse in a wailing heap (and frequently do, anyway) if I had to consult the Council over every little-bitty change that I made... big ones, O.K., but something simple like the mass genocide of all the bizarrely twisted beings in Jester Park? Hah!

If you ask the regular IFian (and I haven't, there's no such thing), I'm sure they'd really want the stuff they asked for done quickly- instead of not at all. :O

Storygames Home -> Election Oct 08
Page 1 of 1