Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Question for the candidates
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Election March 09
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Question for the candidates  

OK, it looks like there aren't too many questions this time around. Maybe the candidates' statements were just very complete. ;)

But here's one question for the candidates. What is the greatest gift that you would bring to the Mayorship of the City?

Or, to phrase it a little more bluntly, why should we vote for you?

:-)
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject:  

The greatest gift I would bring is the ability to do the job reliably and efficiency. The Admin duties delegated to the mayor are the most important part of the role. They help ensure the smooth running of IF's forums, competitions and storygames.

Whether I'm Mayor or not, if I see that a job needs doing, I ensure it gets done without fuss. For example, as the last 3 SGOTM winners will confirm, I organised with Key to ensure that they got their forums. A couple of months ago I noticed one of the nominations threads needed updating so I kept it going until Lordy returned.

I would enhance this smooth running by choosing a council of active members to moderate the forums and encourage the storygames in them to flourish.

I would make sure that any requests are actioned promply so that activities and events organised by members of the community here run like clockwork.

As a regular IFian my normal activities will not change - you'll still see me writing and participating in Storygames, encouraging new writers, reviewing New SGs, critiquing, Quiffing and generally having a good time. :)
Smee

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject:  

Hmmm, *giggles*

Seems with two similar candidates it pays to be quick off the mark to get the answer in first, leaving the other one to say "erm... yeah, that". ;)

The city - it appears - has been bereft of an active mayor for some considerable time, and it is about time things started moving effectively again. Either way you vote you'll get that, so either way the city will be in good hands and that's all that matters.

It may be possible that my experiences of the wider online community following large games and such may bring me ideas to help improve the city, but I'll offer such ideas regardless of whether I'm mayor or not.

I think it boils down to - it doesn't matter who you vote for. Both of us have experience, and both of us will get the job done.
Reiso

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject:  

Here is a question for the candidates:

Since you have both been Mayor already, how will your coming term differ from your previous one? I've hesitated to ask this question, since I only remember Smee's first term and was absent for Crunchy's, but then I realized the answer would still be relevant to other's who were not, or who may remember both, so... fire away.

[grabs popcorn, puts feet up and watches intently]
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject:  

@ Smee's post - Erm... yeah, that! :D

In particular a big F5 on Smee's final point that whoever you vote for in this election, you can guarantee that you'll get someone with experience who will get the job done. Absolutely.

To Reiso:

In answer to your question, that very much depends on what happens over the next six months. My previous term was during the exciting and turbulent era of Mature and Adult themes. The only echo of that era now is the guidelines for posting adult content thread in New Storygames. But I'll be happy to point you to one or two of them if you want!

One thing that would be different if I get voted in as Mayor is the house rules for the team of forum moderators. On reflection I was far too lenient, allowing months of inactivity before handing the moderating stick over to someone new.

They'll need to be active and take an interest in what's going on in their sections if they're to keep their positions - I believe it will be an effective way to keep things moving, and to offer the chance of moderating a forum to more active members more often.

Like the Mayorship, I see Modship as a responsibility that should not be taken lightly. It must be earned, and then continually worked at to be kept.

:)

(edit to add: - Sorry Smee. You get first dibs on the next one!)
Smee

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject:  

In my first term - the entire concept of a mayor was a new one. No one knew what to expect or what was expected.

In hindsight, I tried to do too much. Too many ideas, not enough hands. I stretched myself thin, and wore myself out.

I know now - as stated in my opening statement - that a mayor is simply here to oversee the administration, and provide a sounding board for ideas to be brought forward, and subsequently provide the available tools for those ideas if they go ahead. Not try and enact them all themselves.

Storygames Home -> Election March 09
Page 1 of 1