Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Arts Forum
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Election March 09
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Arts Forum  

I would like to inquire as to the candidate's views of a new Arts Forum for activities besides linear stories and storygames, such as pictures, poetry, videos, etc. This idea has been suggested before, and I know that Smee is against it, but I don't remember his reasonings for it, and I don't know any of Crunchy's views as I was absent when she was mayoress.
scissorkitty

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject:  

Was this a topic open to public discussion before? I don't remember hearing about a possible Arts Forum beforehand.. then again, I'm more of an absent browser at times, and don't always notice all the comings and goings of If.

Personally, I would be against an Arts forum- not because I hate art, or hate artists, or anything like that (some of you contributing artists are quite talented!)- but because I think that If is, foremost, a WRITING community.. and I wouldn't want that to somehow get mislaid into becoming just a general artists' conglomerate.

BUT- this isn't really a question for me, so ... there's my worthless two cents! o-) o-)
Alegria

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject:  

I beleive this question was brought up in Smee's first election and it has been brought up before the city council, but that was a while ago (before my leave of absence) and may have been before most of everyone else was on...
Gallant

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject:  

I'm sorry Alegria, as an artist myself I would love the idea of a forum dedicated to it, but I would prefer it if IF just stayed a writing community. There is nothing stopping you from creating threads or weaving art into your stories though. If your that interested in art forums then there's plenty out there. Use google! :D
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject:  

We do have a gallery where each of us can post up to 10 pics in our own personal albums, which we have total control over; i.e., upload, edit, and delete.

Not only that, it allows folk to leave comments for each picture AND rate it.

Check this out! Click on the thumbnail, marvel at the extraordinary talents of the artist, then leave your comments and give it a rating.

We wouldn't need an Art forum, at the most perhaps an Art thread alerting people to go look at new pics.

It seems the logical place where artwork should go anyway, and we wouldn't need to worry about load times on image-heavy threads in the forums.

Why don't we try it out? :)

(Editz to add:) Duhh, misread the topic title Art / Arts....

The vast majority of other Arts that is posted here are actual pictures, which as I've mentioned, could be housed in the Gallery if anyone is willing to try.

I understand it isn't possible to embed videos into these forums, so I guess it would be difficult to house here, unless you were posting links to other sites. Poetry - we don't get a lot of poetry, and when we do, it tends to be posted in the Linear section.

I'd question the need for an Arts forum as we are at the moment - unless there was a significant change in the volume of various art forms being displayed here (other than pictures).
scissorkitty

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject:  

that sounds like a cool solution, actually, Crunchy! It allows the various artists to show off their talents w/o co-opting the ultimate purpose of IF.

What about imbedding YOUTUBE links, showing the videos that way? Or agreeing to use some other general video viewer, and letting artists submit their links in that format? Just so that it's all on the same sort of programme- i have having to download and install multimillions of other apps and updates. :x

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject:  

I'd like to be the artsy farty person incharge of the artsy stuff. Keeping track of spam and flaming. Every video can go through one person to see if it isn't something disturbing then they can post it. As for games I think posting up a link of a programmer's game would be fun, I've seen it in many other forums even if it is a story forum. So a art forum would be great. Many people would like to show their art to others and the created videos. Like myself I'd love to show my tv and movie make up. mmm. Yum.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject:  

Perhaps before we go any further on whether or not to create a multimedia Arts forum, it may be a good idea for Key to let us know what the capabilities of these forums are.

We already know we can't embed video stuff into these forums, and while the gallery is underutilised right now, it would be useful to know what its possibilities are before we can explore ways of displaying and commenting on our artwork.

:)
Smee

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject:  

Skitty basically gave my old reasons for not wanting an Arts forum, Alegria. I think poetry works fine in Linear Lane, and Crunchy has pointed out the under utilised gallery.

There's a trillion websites out there that cater very well for displaying pictures/video/music with all the appropriate tools needed for such things and no rules here against linking to your work as such sites. But there's only 1 (I suppose 2, with Chinaren's site) place for Storygaming.

I doubt the adding of an Art's forum would attract a load of artists who would also happen to sit around and play Storygames, although that would be nice. We had one such person join, relatively briefly - started his own comic storygame that was awesome. But as far as I'm aware, he was drawn away by the demands of RL and purely busy doing his artwork for more serious places.

Storygames Home -> Election March 09
Page 1 of 1