Free online storygaming

Indelible: Chapter Twelve
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Indelible
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scissorkitty

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Indelible: Chapter Twelve  

ChapterTwelve

WHAAAAAAT?!! Leah continued to screech, her cries reaching penultimate volume before sputtering out and ending in a slightly childish whine.
How can you be so calm, George? What the fuck, man? I ... I'm scared. And naked. Well, I have pants on.. but you know.. this. She gestured at the rest of her less-than-clothed body and crossed her arms in anger.

George make a visible effort to drag his eyes from her jostling chest, and smiled softly at her, again making calming patting motions on the furs beside him.

I don't know why I'm so calm. I just am. Whatever's going on, it can't be really real, so it's just some sort of dream we're in together.. or one of us is fake. I know it's not me, i feel quite real! Then again, that's just what a dream-George would say. In any case, dude, it's fine. Come here. Just... come here.

Picking up a section of the fur, and pulling in taut between his hands, he held it up, and showed Leah the backing. Cotton.
See? It's not even real fur. You don't need to be stressed out!

Her protests killed off by dream logic for the moment, Leah allowed George to drape the non-fur around her body, cunningly tying it into a sort of toga-top, that still allowed her wings to fold freely against her back.

So.. watching all that Fashion Television is really starting to pay off for you, then? She managed a wobbly smile and cupped her hand tentatively against George's cheek.
I don't know what's going on here but.. you make me feel almost creepily calm. You're like.. like a sedative. Only not a dopey one... I mean, me, not you. The last comment snarked out to pinch him lightly in the ego, and George was happy to hear Leah sounding more like herself.

Yeah, yeah. Okay, you're wrapped. Lets explore this joint!

Looking around, the moonlight seemed to be on the verge of giving way to the creeping dawn. The walls were an amalgam of wood and shingles, with several built in jam cupboards crowding the far end. A scattering of benches and bunks lined the walls, covered with more of the mysterious non-fur. Soft shadows, possibly hiding treasures in their depths, pooled beneath the lurking furnishings. Leah felt her attention drawn to the cupboards, while George scrabbled beneath the nearest bed, feeling against the underside for anything useful or informative.

Hmmm... Opening the nearest cupboard, Leah found it well stocked with traveling packs, cloaks, a hiking stick and a stack of dried fruit sorted into neat paper packets. The next revealed a rack of wineskins, kept cool in the shuttered shade, and the third cupboard proved to be something more..
A door... She barely breathed the word, yet at her voice, it seemed a breath of fresh, green-scented air wafted in to tease.

George, armpit deep in the nearest pile of blankets, looked up in surprise.
Mmm. Fresh air! Just what we need, I think! This place is starting to smell a little manky.. or, you know. It could just be you!
Wrinkling his nose with a grin, he quickly stuffed the packs with the other objects, tying rolls of blankets atop the straps, and heaved the things onto his shoulders.

HAA! Leah laughed, staring at him. You look like.. like the Littlest Hobo, or something, making a break for it. Gimme one of those packs. Settling it over one of the newly buckled cloaks, but between her wings, it was surprisingly comfortable.

The breeze beckoned again, temping with more scents of greenery, fresh water, and open space.

Okay.. lets go. Holding hands like a pair of bedraggled orphans, they pushed open the door and tumbled down the few steps to find themselves standing in a small clearing, a banked firepit glimmering a few feet away, a few overturned treestumps arranged around it.

Glancing behind her, Leah saw they had just left a small, wooded caravan, the walls brightly coloured greens and reds and yellows, if chipped a little with age.
That's... that's impossible... you know what? Nevermind.
Setting her jaw, she reached for George, his hand already waiting for her, and they surveyed the forest together.

What next, babe? Two paths lead from the clearing- one, a well worn wagon trail, the other little more than a series of broken branches leading deeper into the woods.
Chinaren

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject:  

About time this continued!

Nicely done as always.

I say take the wellworn trail. Let's see who you meet. For some reason brightly coloured gypsies come to mnid, but tehn I am quite drunk. :tempt:
DeadManWalking

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject:  

Take the path less traveled.
Reiso

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Chapter Twelve  

Hmm, well traveled road or spooky branches, huh?

Let's see, the well worn road is probably safer. But the spooky branches are likely to be more interesting. Huh.

[flips coin]

Spooky branches!

Also, I noticed one small typo that threw me:

scissorkitty wrote: Gimme one of those packs. Settling it over one of the newly buckled cloaks, but between her winds, it was surprisingly comfortable.

Might want to change that to a 'g'.

:D
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject:  

Oooh, I dunno. Betcha those cloaks and packs belong to someone. Be they friendly or not? Who knows.

Maybe the red-headed twins are the gypsies C'ren is imagining. So, based on the rantings of a drunken furry creature on another continent I'm going to go for taking the well worn path. To me the choice seems to symbolise playing along with this magic tea induced experience so far.
The Meaning Of Fear

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject:  

I guess this choice really depends on the kind of person you are. Do you want to take a path others have walked, and follow in their footsteps (or, in this case, wagon trails)? Or perhaps you want to take a less familiar one, with no end in sight?

If it were only Leah or George, but not both, I'd have personally chosen the well-worn path for safety. But since they're both together, why not go and do some exploring? Take the other path, and see where they end up together.
Phantomfan

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject:  

Nice chapter!
I'm all for the ominous trail made of broken branches. If George is in the "showoffy" kind of mood, he may just want to push Leah that way to impress her.
Either way though, I say head for the road less travelled!!!
scissorkitty

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Chapter Twelve  

Reiso wrote:

Might want to change that to a 'g'.

:D

HAAA! consider that edited! Whoops! I guess carrying anything between your winds would be an impressive talent- if not necessarily suited to good company. :lol:
scissorkitty

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject:  

The Meaning Of Fear wrote: I guess this choice really depends on the kind of person you are. Do you want to take a path others have walked, and follow in their footsteps (or, in this case, wagon trails)? Or perhaps you want to take a less familiar one, with no end in sight?

oo! Very insightful, Meany! I like this a lot! :D And.. uh... I'm going to pretend that I was plotting this very thing whilst writing. :oops: hee hee.

Wow.. it seems like a pretty steady tilt towards going on the unbeaten path.. I wasn't sure if you guys would have more suggestions, or whatever.. But I guess we'll poll it and keep the good times rolling along!
Gallant

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject:  

First time I've bothered reading this, and how I regret my past decisions. :D

I actually like the shortness of each chapter, it's like little nibbles, easy to digest. Now to wait patiently for the next chapter.

Storygames Home -> Indelible
Page 1 of 1