SparkleSteps - Chapter Ten poll is up!
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Storygames Home -> SparkleSteps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mastermind

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject:  

Egh. I don't have any idea. Soo... :yeah:

Since they found half of the key in the forest, it's possible that the pieces have been lost or forgotten over time - or that the half Jem still has is guarded even more securely. Either way, Jem's study is a good place to start looking.

Didn't they find a locket or something along with their half of the key? What happened to it?

Also, I think it's "reminiscing", with a "c".
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject:  

Looking back at the conversation with Chanah, she used her magic pendant to locate the key stone, and said that it was in the house.

Since Winnie's half (the earring) was definitely in the house, then the other half will have to be there, too.

I don't think this is something that is going to be found in the study. If it has been hidden for generations, then it will be hidden in a place nobody is likely to think of looking. I''m talking cellars, secret rooms and passages.

I think the direction the children should take should be down to the basement. :)
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject:  

Poll is up guys! ;)

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, and I'll try and get a new chapter up some time next week! :)
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject:  

Poll is now closed...

As I have said on 'Fathom', painting has just taken over at the moment, so I have been a little neglectful of my SGs. But that will change now, I am determined, and hopefully I will have a new chapter up by the beginning of next week, sooner, with any luck. ;)

Thanks for reading and voting! :)
Smee

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject:  

Gah missed it. Bleugh
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject:  

Here it is, finally! Sorry about the delay. I've had terrible block for a few weeks, and have been unable to write anything. But I was hit by sudden inspiration today, and thought I'd better not waste it. ;) So I may have rushed it a little in case it disappeared again. I hope it's okay.

SparkleSteps - Chapter 7

Both children went to bed that night, trying to figure out what their next move should be. But, long after Winnie had fallen asleep, Milo continued to lie awake, going over what both Chanah and Rosie had told them that day. He held the green stone, tightly in his fist, over his heart, as if to keep it near would give him some inspiration.

Depending on whether Jem was at home the next day, there was a chance they might be able to sneak into his study at some point, but it would be awfully risky, even if he wasn't there. Violet and Old Bob were constantly around, the latter making a point of keeping an eye on them, watching out for any wrong moves.

Milo decided that, despite Rosie's suggestion, they should probably explore elsewhere first. But he didn't know where to begin. The house was truly enormous, with dozens of rooms on each floor. They hadn't even seen half of their vast abode, and now they needed to search it thoroughly, possibly from top to bottom, to try and find a tiny green stone, which may or may not be what they were looking for. And they had no idea which room was where. If they wanted to explore the attic, or the basement, or the east and west wings, they didn't have a clue how to reach any of of them.

Milo sighed. Everything sounded so vague, and was based entirely on possibilities. He held the green stone, 'possibly' the key-stone, up to the lamp light, and marvelled silently at the swirling, shifting colours, revealled in the warm glow. Whether it was the key-stone or not, there was definitely something unusual about the green crystal. He had never seen such a breathtaking array of shades of green.

When he removed it from the light, the swirling colours disappeared, and it returned to the grass- green it had been before. He closed it again in his fist, and then closed his eyes, and tried to sleep, though he still pondered over what they should do the next day. Then suddenly it came to him. He opened his eyes as the memory popped into his head.

When he and Winnie had been in the kitchen that morning, with Rosie, Violet had walked in. And she had said...

"If you wanted to look around the house, you should have asked me to show you." He repeated the housekeeper's words, in a whisper. Would Violet give them a tour of the house? "Surely she would rather that, than for us to go off exploring alone, " he said to himself with a mischievious grin.

He mental made a list of the rooms they would most likely find the stone. Basement, attic, study, though there was little chance of the tour extending into that room, and to be on the look out for any rooms containing alot, or some, old antiques and heirlooms. Maybe they might be able to get that kind of information out of Violet too. He wondered briefly, if there might be any secret rooms, or passages, as many old houses did have them. And that would be a perfect place to hide something as precious as half of the key-stone.

Plans now made, Milo fell asleep soon afterwards, the green stone held to his chest, and a smile upon his face, images of spiralling, twirling colours, and secret doors, swimming through his head, and into his dreams.

~~~

He was woken the next morning, by the sudden blast of sunlight on his face, when Violet undrew his bedroom curtains. He groaned, and covered his eyes, to block out the searing light.

"Wakey, wakey, rise and shine, little man. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and all you want to do is lounge around in bed all day." Violet seemed in a very good mood, but then she usually was. She beamed down at him, pulling his duvet off the bed, and shaking it out. "Come on, out you get. I have to make the bed. I haven't got all day, you know."

Milo sat up, and slid out of bed.

"What time is it?" he asked, yawning and stretching at the same time.

"A quarter to eleven, lazy bones," replied Violet, grinning impishly. "I sorted out your clothes for you. They're in the bathroom. Now go and have a shower and get dressed. Your sister has been up for hours, though don't ask me where she is, because I have no idea. I keep bumping into her every now and again, but she never seems to be doing much."

While Violet chattered away, Milo realised that Winnie must already be searching for the other half of the key stone. He rushed over to the bathroom, closed the door and jumped in the shower. He was out within five minutes and hurridly changed into his clean clothes.

Looking a little flustered, he shot back out of the bathroom, nearly bumping into Violet.

"Milo, what have I told you about running in the house. What's the rush?"

"Nothing," replied Milo, trying to not sound suspicious. "I just wanted to go and find Winnie, that's all. Where did you see her last?"

"She was just pottering around in the hall," answered Violet, as she folded some clean laundery into the large chest of drawers. "Seemed a little bored. Yes, go and find her, and get outside and play. Can't waste weather like this."

Milo nodded his ascent, and was just about to scoot off, when he remembered his plans from the night before.

"Violet, would you be able to give us a tour of the house a little later on?" Violet stopped what she was doing, and looked at him questioningly. "It's just that, you said, if we wanted to look around, that we should ask you to show us. So could you... please?"

Violet paused for a moment, then her face relaxed as she accepted the explaination. "Well, I'll be be busy for much of the day. I might be able to give you an hour or two this evening, okay?" It was a long time to wait, perhaps too long, but it was all that they had. Milo nodded, and then disappeared out into the hall, and went to search for Winnie.

~~~

Milo found her still wandering around in the hall. He ducked down, behind an antique ottoman, on the landing, and watched her for a moment, through the bars of the bannister rail.

To anyone walking through the hall, she would seem to be just innocently admiring the various aspects of the room, the deep-blue silk curtains, the swirling black and white of the marble floor, the elaborately carved doors to Jems study. But as Milo watched, he could tell that she was actually searching, and mentally marking what room was where. Every now and then, she would look around, to make sure that no one was watching, and would then quickly nip through one of the many doors, and into the room beyond. A moment later, she would reappear, and act like nothing had happened.

Milo smiled, amused at his sisters intelligence and stealth. Violet had bumped into her more than once that morning, and seemed none the wiser for it. He got up from his crouched position, and made his way down the stairs. Winnie turned, and beamed up at him as he descended. He laughed.

"You're such a little sneak," he said, ruffling her golden locks. "You fooled Violet. She hasn't got a clue what you're up to. So, have you found anything?"

"I didn't really look for the key-stone," she replied. "I just thought it would be useful to know where all these doors lead. So I've just been having a quick look around, and then coming back out here, just in case Violet caught me."

She turned and, going around in a clockwise direction, from the stairs, pointed to each door and named the room to which it lead.

"Blue lounge, dining room, kitchen, pantry, Uncle Jem's study, that one leads into a corridor, which goes to the greenhouse, pink lounge, bathroom, laundrey room, that one leads into another corridor, which goes outside into a little courtyard, sewing room, and the last one is a little storage room." She stepped to the side and pointed down between the staircase, and the other doors on their right. There was another doorway at the far end. "That leads into the east wing, and there is another one on the other side, which leads to the west wing. But I didn't go very far into there. It's all dark and dusty, like no one has been there for a very long time."

Then Winnie walked down towards the door to the east wing, and stopped about half way, turning towards the staircase. Here there was another door, set into the wall beneath the stairs. Winnie opened the door, and Milo saw that there was a narrow staircase leading down into total darkness.

"This one goes into the basement. And I think that this is where we should begin our search."

"Why?" said Milo, squinting, to see if he could make out anything in the black. Winnie shrugged.

"I don't know, I just have a feeling that there is something down there. I don't know if it's the key-stone, but there is something. Something important. Can't you feel it?"

Milo concentrated, and almost instantly, he felt a small prickle of awareness, as he gazed into the depths of the basement.

"You're right," he replied, "There is something down there." He looked around, on the walls inside the doorway. "Is there a light switch?" Winnie shook her head.

"I couldn't find one," she said, "Maybe there's one at the bottom."

"Well, just in case there isn't, we're going to need a torch or something." Even as he said it, Milo cursed himself for losing Old Bob's lantern in the forest. It would have been ideal.

~~~

Ten minutes later, they were all set, having found a small torch in the large oak dresser, in the hall. They took a quick look around the hall, watching and listening to see if anyone was around. The house was silent, save for the ticking of the grandfather clock, so they opened the basement door, and slipped inside. Milo closed the door behind them, and they found themselves swamped in the pitch black.

He felt along the torch for the switch, found it and flicked it on, and the torch spluttered into life. The light was dim, and inconsistant, the bulb continually going dark, and then lighting up again. Both children hoped that there was a light switch at the bottom, as they knew that the torch wouldn't hold out forever, and neither of them wanted to be stuck down in the gloom when it finally gave out.

Despite their reservations about the excursion, knowing that, at some point, they might be unable to see what was around them, they continued on anyway. Milo went first, slowly making his way down the stairs, Winnie following close behind.

The dim light of the torch touched upon various objects scattered around the base of the stairs, and on the walls. There were weapons, swords, axes and spears, along with shields, mounted on the walls, glinting wickedly in the muted gleam. The children stared at them nervously as they passed. At intervals down the staircase, paintings were stacked against the wall, though they were unable to get a good look at the subjects, due to the weak lighting.

Winnie squealed as the glare caught a heavily-painted face, grinning eerily at them. But it turned out to belong to a clown puppet, hung up on the wall alongside the weaponry. Bright orange hair surrounded the white face, and the red painted nose and blue encircled smile, stood out against the stark background. It was a beautifully made, but utterly grotesque thing, and both Milo and Winnie were happy to move on from it.

On reaching the bottom of the stairs, they had another shock, as a tall figure loomed over them. They gasped, and backed up a few steps. But the figure turned out to be an old suit of armour, stood in all it's glory, posed with a sword lifted above it's head, ready to strike. Milo gazed at it in awe, a wistful look in his eyes, as he imagined himself dressed in the armour, ready to ride out to battle.

He suddenly noticed, behind the armour, in the dim glow of the torch, a light switch on the wall. He approached, crossed his fingers, held his breath, and hoped, as he flicked the switch. For a moment, nothing happened. Then a faint buzzing noise preceded a nearbly light bulb bursting into life. It flickered for a moment, and they feared it would go out. But soon it was glowing steadily, and both children breathed a sigh of relief.

The bulb only lit up one part of the room. They could see faint outlines of more objects beyond it, in the shadows, and they concluded that, either the other bulbs had died, or that there was another light switch. They didn't let it bother them, as they began to explore the already lit area.

Milo had expected to find the room full of cluttered junk, but found that everything was tidy and in order. Tables, desks and chairs were scattered about the room, covered in neat piles of books and papers, alongside various knick-knacks. Weaponry continued to emblazon most of the walls. There were boxes in an orderly stack against one wall, each marked with the contents, and tightly sealed. A large ornate trunk was against the opposite wall.

It was this trunk that grabbed Milo's attention. He crossed the room and knelt down beside it. He ran a finger over the sumptuously elaborate golden swirls, which decorated the entire trunk, on top of a deep-blue background. He followed the pattern, down to a lock, of equally intricate detail as the rest of the box. The metal had been moulded into a pair of wolves, howling towards a cresent moon, positioned either side of the key-hole.

There was something inside the trunk, Milo could feel it. But even before he tried to lift the lid, he knew that it would be locked. Sure enough, the lid stuck, and wouldn't budge.

"It's locked!" hissed Milo, in frustration. "We need the key, and God knows where we're going to find that." He looked up at Winnie. "There is something in here, in this trunk. We have to get it open." Winnie nodded her agreement. Then her eyes widened, as she remembered something.

"We found a key, in the field. Maybe that would fit."

"It's worth a try," replied Milo, "You wait here, while I go and fetch it. I'll be two minutes."

Winnie shook her head, eyes wide with fear.

"No Milo, I don't want to stay down here alone!"

"Don't be silly, there's nothing down here. It's just an old junk room. I will be quick, I promise. Just wait right here." Before she could protest further, he shot back up the stairs, and slipped out into the hall.

Luckily the hall was still empty. He flew up the staircase to Winnie's room, and rifled desperately through the contents of her treasure drawer. He found the key quickly, and held it up a moment to look at it. It was rusty, and worn looking. So much so, that Milo could hardly believe that it could possibly be what they were looking for. Except for one thing. One thing that made him realise that one shouldn't always trust first appearences. An emblem was crafted, at the end of the twisted design of the handle. It portrayed two wolves, baying to the cresent moon.

~~~

Milo ran, two steps at a time, back down the main staircase, and around to the basement door. In his excitement, he nearly forgot to check, to see if anyone was watching. Luckily. they weren't, and he was able to enter the basement, once again unseen. He closed the door behind him, and turned, nearly bumping into Winnie, who stood trembling at the top of the stairs.

"I heard something down there!" she whispered, looking fearfully down into the room below.

"Like what?"

"I don't know, sort of like a scratching, scraping noise."

"It was probably just a mouse or something," said Milo reasurringly. "Don't worry. I'm back now. Come one. I've got the key, and I'm certain it's the right one for the trunk. Let's go and find out what;s inside." He started back down the steps. Winnie looked after him nervously, and paused at the top for a moment. But then she followed him down, constantly looking around the room, for any movement.

Milo was down beside the chest in a heartbeat, and fitting the key into the lock. He took a deep breath, and turned it. The key turned, as smooth as butter, and they heard a soft click. The trunk was unlocked.

Milo was just about to open the lid, when a noise stopped him. A scraping noise. He looked up at Winnie, who was clearly scared out of her wits.

"That's the noise I heard before," she whispered.

Milo looked into the shadowy part of the room, where the noise was coming from. It wasn't a mouse, it was far too loud. It almost sounded like something heavy, being dragged along the floor, and to his horror, Milo realised that it was coming towards them.

"Winnie!" he cried, "Get back up the stairs! Back up the stairs now!" He got to his feet, and was just about to run for it, when a rough, male voice erupted from the shadows.

"Halt! Stay where you are... don't move a muscle!"

Okay, dp is what do they do now? Do as the voice says (even though they have no idea who it is) and stay, continue running, or something else? If they choose to run, should they tell a member of the household that there is someone in the basement, and risk getting in deep trouble? You decide. I hope that chapter and the dp are both okay, and I hope you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading! ;)
Thunderbird

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject:  

ooh... nice to see this is still going... I'll be catching up on this one right quick like!
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject:  

You certainly were inspired, I think this is one of your better chapters. You have a gift for description which enriches your stories and is a pleasure to read. In this chapter you did well to avail yourself of that skill, especially because every exploration requires detail (in fact, your entire story consists mostly of explorations; you seem to follow a certain formula in which your characters penetrate some dark/mysterious place/item only to find that it is already occupied/possessed by someone/something/owner).

I only wish you had spent more time on the DP. Rather than plan ahead and build the story around the DP, it seems you simply found a good break for the story and threw in the DP out of obligation. Out of habit, you present us with a DP similar to the one when the kids were stuck in the forest and were talking to the elf lady. Only that in this case, they don't know who this person is. Personally I'm still curious about what's in the trunk. Milo should open it and see what is inside before attempting to flee. It's a bit of a wildcard, but I'm willing to risk it.

By the way, I know that I often complain about DPs, not only in this story, but in many others, and I think it's because a number of authors on this site (especially newcomers, naturally) are not fully committed to the interactivity. They are writing primarily a linear story and they try to appease the readers on this site by following the storygame rules, but they go about the DP with a certain reluctance. As a reader, I want something that will challenge me and make me consider the options carefully. My advice to you is: if you want to write a good storygame, you must commit yourself fully to the interactivity.

Overall, I'd say this chapter is a strong effort. Now perhaps you need a bit more patience to weave it all in to a well-crafted DP.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject:  

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get around to this one. But I agree, this is a rich chapter, very colourful and great images.

It's the small prickle of awareness I'm intrigued about. Both Milo and Winnie felt it. Was it just an adrenalin rush, or some kind of inner knowledge that made them know that the basement was the place they should be looking? And if so, was it actually the stone that caused this prickle of awareness, or something else? It didn't seem to get any stronger as they went downstairs so perhaps it is more of a knowledge than a physical proximity.

That something alive is lurking in the basement that up to now has been kept locked is very mysterious. How would it have got here?

Running away is not going to achieve anything, and they may not get such a great opportunity to explore the basement again. Yes, they might get caught by Violet or their uncle if they run now, but they might also get caught by them if they stay. At least then some uncomfortable questions might have to be answered if this new character cannot be explained away easily.

So, the stranger wants them to stay - fine. But with all these excellent artifacts hung around the walls it would be a shame not to make use of them!

I say grab a weapon or a shield from the wall. They may only be children, but at least they could show this person/creature that they're not to be messed with. Let's see what it has to say then.
Thunderbird

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject:  

I was going to suggest doing as told... not moving a muscle. But I do like Crunchy's idea too... maybe to embellish, run and hide in the suit of armor? I don't like the adults much in this tale (not due to the writer) and don't feel they can be trusted. I was also wondering about the quality of the voice that warned them, and did it seem to come from the sraping noise or perhaps elsewhere?

I'm enjoying this story, though the previous chapter before this one threw me off in a few places, and I'd only know you were speaking of a flashlight when you say 'torch' because my wife's australian. (We yanks don't call 'em torches so it might help to interchange the term flashlight once in a while... for our benefits (sheesh... another arrogant American demand, no?))

I can't say as I'm really enamoured with our elven maiden either. Something doesn't seem quite right about her. These kids are really good at diving head first into a whole world of affairs they don't understand anything about.
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks D, Crunchy, and TB, for your comments, and suggestions. Always much apprieciated, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Due to the fact that I felt I had to rush it, in case my block returned, I was worried that it wouldn't be good enough. But you've all put my mind at rest. ;)

Sorry about the dp D. As I said, I kinda rushed the whole thing, so I didn't take much time over it. Not that that's any excuse for it, and I'll try and do better on the next one. :)

I'm glad that I've been able to get across that the kids don't know who around them can be trusted, whether they seem nice or not, and also that they both possess an 'inner knowledge', as Crunchy put it. ;) It is something I wanted to gradually introduce into the story.

I will try to remember to vary the dialogue, and have UK and US versions of words, to make it easier to understand. It doesn't usually occur to me, when I'm writing, that I might be using words that other people don't. But I will try to keep it in mind from now on. :)

My block hasn't completely cleared, though I have rough ideas for the next chapter, depending on the outcome of the dp. So I will leave it open for a few more days, before putting up the poll.

Thanks again guys! :)
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject:  

Poll is up guys! :)

If possible, I will try and get another chapter up by next weekend.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject:  

Ah haven't missed the vote yet! *votes*
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject:  

Poll is closed... now I just have to get past the remaining block, and write the damn chapter. ;)

Thanks for voting guys, and I'll have the new one up as soon as possible! :)
D-Lotus

Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject:  

Tikanni Corazon wrote: Poll is closed... now I just have to get past the remaining block, and write the damn chapter. ;)

Thanks for voting guys, and I'll have the new one up as soon as possible! :)

This is the point where you realize how difficult it really is to finish anything.
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject:  

Tell me about it! ;)

I am trying to write, and hope to have the next chapter up soon. But yes, the further into the story you get, the harder it seems to become. Is driving me crazy! :)
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject:  

Ah, but it's a good crazy! Keep at it! Hope to see a new instalment soon. :)
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject:  

After many months of being unable to write, having no idea what to write, and being generally frustrated everytime I tried to write, I have a new chapter. Though considering the lack of IFians around these days, I shouldn't think it was too much of a problem. ;) Hope you enjoy!

SparkleSteps - Chapter 8

At the sound of the voice, Milo paused, not knowing whether he should do as the voice told them. But the dragging noise continued to approach, and he decided that if he was sticking around, he was not going to do so unarmed. He turned and bolted towards the stairs.

"No! Stop!" the voice rasped, and the dragging quickened in pace slightly. Milo grabbed the nearest weapon, a long, silver spear from the wall, and turned to face whatever came for them, while Winnie looked on, her eyes wide with fear. A powerful sense of invincibility filled Milo as he held the spear in his hands. He chanced a look down at the strange markings engraved down the shaft, running his thumb over them. He wondered, for a moment, what they meant. But then a movement in the shadows, in front of him, caught his eye, and his attention returned to the task at hand.

"Stay where you are!" he commanded, "Don't come any closer!" The dragging stopped abruptly, along with the shape that was emerging from the darkness. "Who are you, and what do you want from us?"

"The stone," answered the rough voice. "Just give me the stone, and you may leave... unharmed." The shape swayed slightly, as if it's balance was a little off. Then an arm extended from the shadows, and into the light, and Milo was surprised to see that it looked human. "Please, I need it... I need it to..."

"Come into the light," Milo interrupted. The shape didn't move, except to withdraw the hand.

"Please!" the voice moaned, his voice breaking. The followed sniffling, and sharp intakes of breath, made Milo realise that the figure was crying. His resolve to harm it began to crack, and he found himself feeling pity. But he couldn't risk being lured into a trap.

"Come into the light," he repeated, "Once I've seen your face, then we'll talk."

The figure paused a moment longer, then let out a defeated sigh, before doing as Milo asked. With a limping gait, it moved into the glow of the overhead bulb and the children gasped.

The man that stood before them was still fairly young in years, though his raggedly-garbed, emaciated body made him look older. His cheeks were hollow, and his face gaunt, surrounded and covered in matted, saffron-coloured hair. As he stood there, he swayed and trembled with weakness, from lack of food and water. The dragging noise, the children realised, had been made by the man's right leg, which hung at an angle, from just below the knee, and was drenched in thick, foul smelling blood. Tears in his clothing revealed further injury, in the form of long gashes all over his body. The blue and gold eyes that looked up at them were hauntingly fearful, and pleading, leaking tears in a constant stream.

"You're an... an elf... like Chanah," said Milo, as he met the eyes. "What happened to you?"

"You know Chanah?" The elven man's voice rasped through his dry, cracked lips. Milo turned to Winnie.

"Sneak into the kitchen, and fetch him some water." Winnie nodded, and disappeared, silently, back through the basement door. Milo returned his gaze to the man. "Yes, we know Chanah. We met her yesterday in the forest. She came here looking for..."

"Sorren!" the man cried, before Milo could finish. "She can't help Sorren now, the creature has him. She cannot be allowed to go to him. It's a trap!"

"What do you mean 'it's a trap'? And how do you know all of this?" Milo suddenly feared for the elven woman. Despite her strength and skill, she was out there alone, searching for her lover. Whatever it was that had caused the elf-man's injuries, was not a creature to be trifled with.

"I was in the forest with Sorren when the creature attacked" The man slumped to the floor as he spoke, his strength spent. "My name is Mot, Sorren is my best friend. The creature caught us both, but I managed to escape... barely." He looked scornfully at the injured leg. "It holds Sorren prisoner, to lure Chanah to it, but it has no use for him. His blood is no good."

"His blood?" said Milo, "Why does it need blood? And how does it know that Chanah is here? She didn't come here with you."

"It doesn't know that she's here," Mot replied, "But it knew she would come. The Veeka has the ability to read minds and..."

"The Veeka," Milo interrupted, "So he is not dead?"

"No, the monster still lives," answered Mot, grimacing as he rearranged his injured leg in front of him. Milo could see that the leg was nearly completely severed just below the knee. Winnie returned at that moment, with the water.

"Sorry I took so long," she said handing the glass to Mot, "Violet nearly caught me. I brought you this too." She handed him a piece of fresh bread and butter. "I'll get you some more later." She smiled at him, and he smiled back.

"Thankyou," he replied, and set about consuming the food and water.

"How did you get in here?" Milo asked suddenly, wondering how Mot had managed to get past Old Bob and Violet. Mot pointed towards the far end of the room, which was still blanketed in shadow.

"There is a tunnel, a secret passage leading to the waterfall in the grounds. It branches off into two directions. I chose one, and luckily ended up in here. I have no idea where the other path leads."

"If we went to find Chanah, we could bring her back here to keep her safe from the Veeka." Milo paused for a moment. "Why does the Veeka want her anyway? You said that Sorrens blood was no good. What is so special about Chanah's?"

"Elves have special blood, which determines the type of powers that they will possess when they come of age. There are four, Skylans of the air, Earthies of the earth, Embers of the fire, and Aquania of the water. When the Veeka was in his elven form, he was the most powerful of all the elven sorcerers. He stole the powers of others so that he could control magic of all kinds, and would, as such, become unbeatable. But the process took a long time and many lives to achieve, and before he could finish, his plans were discovered. The four high magicians combined their powers to hold the Veeka, while the Grand High magician transformed him into a monster, and stripped him of his powers. He was placed in the dungeons beneath Rho-ad, and remained there for many years. Over time he began to regain some of his powers, though these were very weak. He knew that the only way he would be able to return to the powerful being that he once was, he would need to steal the powers of others once again, specifically from a being of each of the power races. So he escaped, and managed to kill those who were sent after him, and, in turn, gained the blood of three of the races."

"Tianna was a Skylan," said Winnie, rememebering the story from the book. Mot nodded.

"She was indeed. Religan, another of the warriors, was an Ember, and the last, Frith, was an Aquania. The Veeka needs only one more to return."

"An Earthie," said Milo, "Chanah is an Earthie." Mot nodded.

"And she is out in that forest, looking for Sorren, who is in the power of that beast. She's practically walking into certain death, and possibly the death of her entire race, and here I am helpless to do anything about it. I fear it's down to the two of you. You have to warn her, get her out of there. There is nothing she can do for Sorren now, as much as it pains me to say it." Tears entered the elven man's eyes. "He's been my friend since we were children. The thought that I will never see him again is..." His words drifted off, as he became overcome with emotion for a moment. Then he seemed to pull himself together, and turned back to the children. "Go, warn Chanah now, before it is too late. Go!"

The children hurried to their feet, at the obvious urgency in his voice, and headed up the stairs towards the door. They looked back once, at the slumped figure of Mot, who watched them ascend. Then they left the basement. They checked that the coast was clear, before hurrying out, closing the door firmly behind them, and began to climb the staircase to their rooms.

"We'll call her with the whistle that she gave us," said Milo, as they hurried across the landing, and entered their lounge area. "As long as she's not hurt, she'll be out of there in no time." He went through to his bedroom, and slipped a hand beneath his pillow, where he'd hidden the whistle the night before. He frowned in puzzlement when his fingers found nothing, and he lifted the pillow away. The whistle wasn't there. Horrified, he removed all of the bedding, to see if it had somehow slipped further down the bed without him noticing. But he found nothing, the whistle was gone. Winnie stood anxiously next to him.

"Where is it Milo?" she asked urgently. He shrugged hopelessly.

"I don't know, I was sure I left it there."

"Maybe you took it in to breakfast this morning without realising," said Winnie, heading back towards the lounge, "I'll go se..." She stopped dead in her tracks, and never finished her sentence. Milo followed to see what was wrong, and his eyes widened with horror, as he saw the cause of Winnie's distress. Sat opposite them, in one of the armchairs, was Jem, and from his hand dangled the silver whistle.

"Looking for this?"

His blue eyes were hard as cold steel, and pure fury was etched into his face.

"Violet found this, this morning when she turned down your beds. Where did you get it?" His voice was calm, but danger lurked behind the words, threatening bad things would happen shoud they lie. But they had no choice.

"We... we found it... i... in the grounds," Milo stuttered, knowing that his uncle wouldn't believe the feeble half-truth.

"Where did you get it?" repeated Jem, his voice aquiring an impatient edge.

"I just told... "

"LIES!" Jems roared. "I know exactly what this is Milo, and I know that someone must have given it to you. Now tell me who!"

Milo didn't know what to do or say, so he just stood there, Winnie alongside him. Jem's mouth twisted with anger.

"Fine, you don't want to tell me, that's up to you. But I am taking this... " he held up the whistle by it's long silver chain " ...with me. And the two of you will be confined to your rooms, until you decide to be more co-oprative." He stormed out of the room, and slammed the door, and the children heard the key turning in the lock. Violet's voice reached them, as she said something to Jem out on the landing. They heard him answer angrily, and then footsteps walking away.

"What are we going to do now, Milo?" asked Winnie, her eyes filling with tears. "Chanah needs our help. We have to get out of here."

"Yes, we do," Milo replied, "But what happens even if we manage to do that. Without the whistle, the only way we can warn her, is to go back into the forest ourselves."

DP is how do they get out, and what do they do once they are? Hope it's okay. Thanks for reading! :)
Masterweaver

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject:  

Well written, Tiki. Well written indeed...

My choice would be this: Mot goes to free the kids via some secret passage in the bathroom. But it's only big enough for Winnie to go through, because Milo's been leading the charge so far. Mot explains that he's found a way into the rafters of Jem's study, so they go there.....

And I know you'll do something with that.
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject:  

Thanks Master Weaver! I really glad you liked it! :)

I myself have been thinking that Milo seems to have the leading roll in the story, and that Winnie is being pushed into the background a little, which was not the intention when I started. Him being the older sibling, of course he would be the one making the decisions, so the logical way for Winnie to shine, would be for her to separate from Milo, to do an important task, as you have suggested.

Thankyou for the comment, and hopefully I will be able to do something with it. :)
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject:  

I think that sneaking through passages would be too obvious at this stage. The only other magical things they have are the half of the stone, and the book. I think that perhaps if they look at the book again, it may contain something that will save them.

Look at the book!

Good chapter. :)
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject:  

Tie sheets together to make a rope and get out from the window... make their way to the basement again and retrieve some weaponry, notably the spear. Then forge ahead into the darkness to find their new friend!

Oh, and... sorry I missed this at first... didn't realize there was a new chappy out til now!
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject:  

No worries TB! :)

Thanks all, for the suggestions! I'll leave it open for a few more days before putting up the poll, and then we'll see if I can get back into the routine of at least one chapter a month. *crosses fingers* ;)
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject:  

Poll is up! Thanks for reading, and for the suggestions. I hope you enjoyed it! :)
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject:  

Looks like our two brave little soldiers are going for an escape, only to return to the perilous realm of the forest, armed to the teeth, to find their friend! ;)

Thanks for voting folks, and I'll see if I can get another chapter up soon! :)
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject:  

Just under two months... not too bad considering my recent track record... ;)

SparkleSteps - Chapter Nine

Milo kicked the doorframe, of his bedroom, in annoyance.

"I can't believe Violet did that," he said, angrily, "Why did she have to take it to Uncle Jem!" He slid down the wall, and sat leaning against it on the floor. He closed his eyes, desperately trying to figure out a way around this latest problem. "Think, think, think, think, think..." He opened his eyes again, and looked around the room, his eyes pausing scornfully upon the locked door. "It looks like the only possible way out... is through the window." He stood up again, and walked over and opened it, looking down, to see if they could climb down. The drop was practically sheer, with no footholds, save a window sill or two, each too far apart to be of any use in their endeavour. "We'll need a rope or something. There's no way we can get to the ground otherwise. How Chanah managed to get up here that first night is beyond me."

"What about sheets?" said Winnie. Milo turned to face her, enquiringly. "We could tie the bedsheets together to make a rope. Violet found the whistle when she was making the beds this morning, that's what made me think of it."

"Win, you're a genius!" Milo exclaimed, planting a kiss upon the top of his sisters golden head. "Right, you strip your bed, and I'll do the same with mine. Sheet's, duvet covers, pillowcases, everything. It has to be long enough to reach down to the ground." Winnie nodded that she understood, and headed towards her room to do as her brother had instructed. Five minutes later, they were well into knotting the fabric firmly together. Even though he knew it was wrong, Milo couldn't help feeling a little glad that Violet would have to unknot and clean these sheets, and remake the beds at some point. He was still irked that she had tattled on them to Jem.

It took longer than expected to tie the sheets tightly enough, so that the knots wouldn't loosen, when they climbed down. They decided to use the window in Milo's room, as the end of the sheet rope could be tied to his four-poster bed, which was situated next to the window. It also wasn't quite as visible from the rose gardens, where Old Bob was working in the flower beds.

Milo knotted the end sheet securely to the bedpost, and with a quick scan of the grounds below, he threw the makeshift rope out of the window, watching it fall, gracefully uncoiling, until it nearly reached the ground. He stepped out onto the window ledge, and, using the knots in the fabric as footholds at intervals down the length, he decended, reaching the solid ground within minutes. Then he motioned for Winnie to follow. She ventured out onto the ledge, looking nervous as she did so.

"Milo, I don't think I can do this!" she half whispered, half squeaked, glancing down at the ground below.

"You have to Win," he repiled, glancing around to make sure that no one had heard them. "We must find Chanah, and warn her. Come on, you saw me do it, now you just have to do the same."

"What if I fall?" she said, sitting down on the window ledge, and taking hold of the first sheet.

"You won't fall. Now come on, quickly, before someone catches us. If that happens, Uncle Jem will prevent us from trying again. This is our only chance Win. Just take a deep breath, and do it." Milo saw her give a small nod, and a look of determination appeared on her face. She did as he'd said, took a long, deep breath, closed her eyes, and slipped off the edge.

Her progress to the ground was alot slower than Milo's had been, but she remained focused on the task at hand, and before long she stood, looking proud and exhilarated, next to her brother. Milo gave her a quick, silent congratulatory hug, for her bravery, then they prepared for the more difficult job of getting across the grounds, to the forest, without being seen.

Milo peered around the wall, towards the rose gardens. Old Bob was still there, with his garden fork, stabbing it brutally into the ground and churning up the soil. Then he turned back to Winnie.

"Now comes the hard part, how are we going to get past him?" He thought about it for a moment. "Unless he leaves, we can't. If we move away from here, he's bound to see us. It would be a game of chance to risk it."

"Milo, what are we going to do, if we do manage to get to the forest?" asked Winnie, looking up at him. "We have no light, and we have no protection. It was different when we had the whistle, we could just call Chanah to us. Now we're going to have to go to her. What about the Harlimane? There might be more of them, and other monsters besides. And the Veeka, what if we run into that before we find Chanah?"

Milo frowned, as he puzzled through his sister's words. She was right, and the same questions had been bothering him, though he'd tried to push them aside and concentrate on their escape first.

"The basement..." Winnie said suddenly. "Milo, there are weapons in the basement. Mot said that there was a way to get in, through the cave behind the waterfall. If we had some of those with us, we might stand a chance."

Milo smiled.

"You're on fire today Win! Good idea, and at least it gives us somewhere to aim for, so that we can figure out a way to get past Old Bob." He scanned the grounds between them and the old man. There were no large trees or bushes to hide behind. It was an impossible route. "I think we're going to have to try going around the house, this way," he said, pointing in the opposite direction. "I don't know the way to the waterfall from that direction, but it's the only chance we've got. I only hope that Violet's not around too, as she's been found to be no more trustworthy than Old Bob. Come on, lets go."

~~~

Skirting the walls, they made their way cautiously around to the opposite side of the house, always on the look out for one of the adults, who might be lurking around the next corner. The house was vast, and, though they tried to be as quick as they could, the need for vigilance meant that their progress was slow.

When they finally made it to the other side, they slumped down against the wall, and breathed a sigh of relief. Then they began to plan their next move. To their right, they could see the forest, and they knew it was the direction they needed to go in. The waterfall was near the 'sea' of grass, which was situated along the path bordering the forest itself. As for the exact location, without a path to follow, neither of them knew exactly where it was.

"If we can just get to the path, we will be able to find it easily," Milo thought out-loud. "But that means we'll be out in the open, at least for a short time."

He led the way, in the direction of their destination, continuing to hug the walls of the house as he did so, Winnie copying. They reached the corner, and looked around. Some fifty feet away, they could see where the path began, and to their delight, they also noticed there were half a dozen fat bushes, which they would be able to use as cover.

"Right, are you ready?" Milo asked his little sister, who nodded vigorously in response. "Good. When I say so, we'll make for the nearest bush, and then to the next one, and so on, and so on. But remember, always be on the look-out. Old Bob isn't too far away from there anyway, and Violet and Jem are both around somewhere too. If it comes to the worse, and we're spotted, run as fast as you can to the sea of grass, okay." Winnie nodded again that she understood. "Right, let's go."

In unison, they ran towards the nearest bush, stopped to look around, and then made for the next. When they reached the third bush, they found they had another problem. The bushes ahead of them were more widely spaced, and they were now in full view of both the house and the rose gardens. They could see Old Bob in the distance, luckily with his back to them, still digging. So long as he continued to work facing away from them, Milo was certain that they could reach the path unseen. The house was another matter entirely. Both Jem and Violet could be looking out of the windows, and easily spot them as they made their escape to freedom. Milo decided that caution was useless in this matter. He turned to Winnie.

"Keep behind the bushes when you can, but when I give the word, we're just going to run for it." He checked one last time on Bob, finding him still intent on his task. "Right, go!" They took off, like a pair of rockets, pelting full speed across the grass. Neither stopped to see if they'd been spotted, reaching the path and continuing to run, until they reached the sea of grass, at which point they fell onto their hands and knees, and crawled inside the great mass of green.

They made their way deep into the throng of stalks and stems, and then stopped to catch their breath, and to listen for a short while to see if they were followed. After a few minutes, they both looked at each other and grinned.

"I think we did it!" Winnie squeaked excitedly, still panting slightly. Milo nodded.

"I think you're right. We would have heard them by now if anyone was following us. Come on, we'll crawl to the other side, and then get to the waterfall."

They made their way, at a steady pace through the sea of grass, finding odd little treasures along the way, an empty silver trinket box, a dagger-shaped letter opener, and an assortment of jewellery, though they were both disappointed to not find the other earring, containing the other half of the keystone. They decided to look through the horde properly a little later, when they'd completed their quest.

~~~

They reached the other side, and Milo peeped over the top of the grass tips, to see if one or more of the others were looking for them. There was no one to be seen, so they got to their feet, and started in the direction of the waterfall. They heard it before they saw it, the quiet roar of the falling waters, as it crashed into the lake below. Winnie scampered ahead, keen to see it again, along with the beautiful amethyst cave beyond.

As the waterfall came into view, both children stopped in their tracks. There was a creature of some kind, slipping on the rocks, trying to get to the shore. Something long and of a highly polished gold glinted on the grass nearest the lake's edge, and as they neared, they found it was a sword, and that the creature struggling on the rocks, was none other than Mot. They ran forward to help him, and when he saw them, his face sagged visibly with relief.

"Thank the gods!" he panted, as he dragged himself onto the grass, and lay there, exhausted.

"What are you doing out here Mot?" Winnie asked, concerned. "You need to rest your leg."

"I... heard..." Mot spoke between breaths, his strength completely sapped by the struggle getting to shore. "... I heard them... your uncle... and the woman. They were arguing about... about you. I heard that you'd been locked away... in your rooms, and I decided that... I had... to try and warn Chanah... myself." He smiled up at them. "But you escaped. I should have known that you wouldn't let such a little thing stop you."

"Uncle Jem took the whistle that Chanah gave us," said Winnie, sitting down on the grass beside him, and taking his hand. "We have to go back inside the forest, but we have no light, and no weapons."

"Take that." He gestured with a hand towards the sword, that still lay in the grass. "Milo should be able to lift it. I chose the lightest one, so it didn't add to much weight for my leg to carry."

Milo knelt down, and picked up the sword by the sapphire encrusted hilt, and ran a finger along the gleaming, gold blade. Mot was right, it was light, alot more so than it looked, and so perfect, one would swear that it was newly wrought. Milo could feel in his bones, in his entire being, that there was something special about this sword. Merely holding made him feel... invincible. His attention, fully focused on the weapon in his hand, was brought back to the reality of the situation, by Mot's voice.

"You have to go," the elven man said urgently. "Every second that you delay, means there's more chance that the Veeka will capture his prize. You can't let than happen, for the sake of both your world and mine. Go!"

With one final glance at their exhausted friend, Milo and Winnie took off, towards the nearest line of trees. They paused, before they went in.

"Do you think we should try and go in by the same way as before?" Winnie asked, looking nervously into the blackness, beyond the first row of trees. Milo shook his head.

"I wouldn't be able to find my way along the same route as before, even if I tried my hardest. It makes no difference which way we go in, we stand no better chance of finding her, considering we have no idea where she is. Come on, lets just get it over with."

Memories of the Harlimane filled both of their minds, as they entered the forest for the second time. They froze, both looking around nervously, as a sound came from within the mass of trees.

"What was that?" Winnie whispered, fearfully, grasping Milo's arm. Milo, his eyes wide, shook his head that he didn't know. The sound came again, nearer this time, and then again, a few moments later, and closer still. It sounded like metal clashing against metal, and whatever it was, was heading right for them, the snapping of twigs and undergrowth underfoot along with it.

"Get back!" Milo yelled at Winnie, and both jumped out of the way just in time, as large shape, in a blur of motion, whipped past them. It was two figures, in frantic battle, their movements so quick, that, had they not recognised her voice, neither Winnie or Milo would have realised that one of the figures was Chanah. Amid gasps, and groans, they heard her pleading with her attacker.

"Sorren! It's me, Chanah! Why are you doing this? Please stop, I don't want to hurt you!" But the other figure, Sorren, continued to attack her, with an untiring chain of blow after blow, with a long scimitar-style sword. Chanah was defending herself, as best she could, with her twin set of long daggers, but it was plain that her strength was depleting, and the only thing keeping her alive was her enviable skill as a fighter. Slashes adorned her arms and legs, weakening her with the loss of blood. They saw that Sorren was in a covered in similar wounds, though they didn't seem to be having any effect on him.

Suddenly, Sorren sent a powerful kick into her solar plexus, and she was sent hurtling against a nearby tree, where she crumpled, and lay still. As he approached her, to deliver one final blow, the children saw that his eyes were glazed over, like he was sleep walking. He was not in control of his own body, just as Mot had said, and through no fault of his own, he was about to kill the woman he loved.

Milo looked down at the sword in his hand. It almost hummed with potential, and scared as he was, Milo got to his feet, prepared to use it, to at least try and save Chanah, save the world. Even as he said it, in his head, he knew it was an impossible feat, but he still had to try. He began to approach the enchanted elven man.

Just then, both he and Sorren stopped in their tracks, as a familiar voice reached them, and though they couldn't see the owner, they could hear that he wasn't too far away.

"Milo! Winnie! Where the devil are you?" Jem cried.

So, what do the kids do now? They're faced with a man who has no control over his own body or mind, who could potentially make it possible for the world as they know it to be destroyed. And now Uncle Jem is on their tails. What to do, what to do!

Hope you enjoyed it guys! :) Sorry about the wait!
crazybookgal

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject:  

yay a new chapter!!!! i was beginning to lose hope there would b another one :D
i think Jem should burst in. the golden sword is actually a family heirloom with special properties. Jem should grab the sword and theres an epic battle, and it ends with Jem pressing the sapphire on the hilt to the elf dudes throat- and it awakens him from his trance! :shock:
Just an idea <3 ur story!!!!!
Thunderbird

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject:  

Ok, so, tell me again what Jem's opinion on this scene would likely be, or at least what the children would THINK Jem's opinion would be based on the previous chapters' bits of information on the matter.

Enthralling read, btw! And tickled pink to see a new chappy posted on this :D
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject:  

Thankyou both very much for your comments, I'm glad you enjoyed it, especially since I'm finding it so much more difficult to write as the chapters have gone on. It means alot to know that the hard work is paying off. :)

~~~

@Crazybookgal - Sending Jem in there to fight Sorren off is certainly an option. The rest, as good an idea as it is, will likely bring the story to a close much quicker, and I think I can draw this one out for a good while longer. But definitely some good ideas, and something to think about for future chapters. Thankyou! :)

~~~

@TB - Truth be told, they don't know what to expect from Jem. On one hand, he has proven himself to be very against the elven people, going so far as to lock the children away to prevent any interaction with them. Whether this is because he wishes to protect them, or because he, for reasons as yet unknown, seeks to prevent the portal opening to the elven world, like the three generations of his family before him.

On the other hand, despite his stern demenour, he has shown in some small ways that he might actually care for the children. His intense stare, when he first met them, and his comments about how much Winnie looked like her mother, his sister. His willingness to take them on in the first place may also show that, even if he doesn't yet feel any love for them, that he does for his dead sibling. And, considering that no one is permitted inside the estate, he could very easily be cruel to them if he wished, and, aside from locking them away when he found out about the whistle, he hasn't been at all.

Basically, the children are wary of him, and know that he seeks to prevent them from helping Chanah and the others, though they do not know why this is. But he is their guardian, and hasn't tried to harm them in any way, even though they have constantly gone against his wishes, and broken rules.

Something else to be taken into consideration is the reaction of Sorren, or the Veeka, as it is the one controlling him. When Jem called out, the Veeka halted Sorren in his tracks. Does that mean that the Veeka fears him? If so, it would certainly be a way of getting rid of him for now, but what might Jem do when he discovers Chanah and Mot, the former currently unable to defend herself, and the latter badly injured and exhausted?

As it is, Milo has the option of using the sword to try and defend himself and the others, he and Winnie could use the fact that the Veeka has been distracted by Jem to try and get Chanah away from there, or he could take the chance, and let Jem know where they are and that they need help. Or something else that anyone might think of, that's just what I have come up with on the spur of the moment. ;)

Hope that helps, and if there are any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again for reading, and commenting guys! Always much appreciated! :)
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject:  

Surely, he only wishes them to have nothing to do with the elves because he wants to keep them safe, but I think for the children, their fear of his reproach may outweigh the more rational fear of the direct danger they're in now. That said, what can we do? The sword is not a weapon made to disable an opponent and we don't want to kill him any more than we wish to be killed BY him.

Furthermore, even if we called out to Jem, we don't have time to wait for his arrival. Channah is almost slain as is and I don't think just calling for help will delay 'Sorren' any longer.

But then, these are children, the most wretchedly dastardly deceitful combatants ever known! And this must be used to their advantage.

I say they play games with the ensorceled elf. Attack briefly, however feebly the attack may be... just make sure you irritate and get his attention! Then run! And as he follows, run him into every trap they can think of... Winnie could pull back a tree branch while Milo runs Sorren right into it as it releases... Milo could run to the edge of the waterfall while Winnie goes and prepares to throw herself into a ball in front of a Sorren in a dead run, tripping him out into the water below.

At this point, its a matter of getting Sorren away from them or unconscious, and they don't want to have to allow Jem to get involved, as that would surely mean the end of their adventures here, perhaps permanently. Though it might be comforting to know he's nearby and if none of the traps work, we could run Sorren towards Jem, who surely knows how to deal with these sorts of matters better than we do.
crazybookgal

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject:  

i think thunder has a good idea. It is more believable than Milo taking on Sorren himself because come on-how many people no matter how old they are, suddenly know swordsmanship?

It all depends on who Sorren, or the Veeka rather, wishes to kill more. I would guess that would be Chanah, but perhaps it holds a grudge against the children's blood line.
Crunchyfrog

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject:  

I was intrigued by the fact that Sorren had stopped too, at the sound of Jem's voice. Jem has a lot of answers, and I think now is the time for him to spill them. Jem is tied up in all of this much more deeply than he will admit, and Milo has the advantage for now, holding the elven sword. Its power is likely to make up for his own lack of size and physical strength.

I would say threaten Jem with the sword and see what sort of a reaction he gets. Although Jem has not harmed the children, his distance and coldness towards them is enough excuse for Milo to wave the blade at him without fear of getting into too much trouble afterwards.

By threatening Jem we might find out whether or not the Veeka really is afraid of Jem (through Sorren's reaction), and whether Jem is afraid of the elven world (through his own reactions).

I think Milo is in a very strong position here.
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject:  

Okie doke, poll is up!

Already have some ideas to possibly put into the new chapter, depending on the outcome, and to have ideas means there's more chance of said new chapter arriving sooner. Looks like I may have finally pushed past the writer's block completely *crosses fingers*. ;)

Thanks for all comments and suggestions! :)
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject:  

Finally caught up with this story but it appears I missed the discussion :(

I decided to vote for trying to lure Sorran away.

If I'm reading this correctly something needs to be done about Sorran *now* or he will kill Chanah.

At this point I don't think that the children have any reason to trust Jem to save Chanah. It is obvious that he doesn't want them interacting with the elves and the elves don't trust him due to some prior action of his.

Tikanni Corazon wrote: “We gave up on him a long time ago,” Tianna interrupted, “He failed us once before. He will not get the chance to do so again.”

Since the children know that Jem was entrusted with a mission by the elves and failed why should they believe that he would change his mind now? Especially after he took the silver whistle *knowing* what it was and what could happen due to his taking it. If he *wanted* to help the elves he could have told us his side of the story and offered his aid when the whistle was discovered.

It seems to me that an urgent confrontation with Chanah's live on the line is not the best time to try to call a time out and demand answers from Jem and the Veeka.

Jem had a chance to provide answers when the whistle was found and didn't feel the need to do so. There may very well be another time for answers but the thing we need to take care of right now is saving Chanah.
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject:  

My apologies Ingro. What with there being so many returnies and newbies in the city at the moment, I should probably leave off putting up the polls so quickly in case there are those, like you, who are trying to catch up with the story. But thankyou very much for taking the time to do so, and I look forward to your further participation in future chapters. :)
Ingrothechundyer

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject:  

No problems here :). IMHO Getting the poll up at a decent speed is a good thing.

I'm generally slow catching up with current stories to begin with. I was just commenting that it was disappointing to miss the discussion :P

I'm looking forward to the next chapter once the poll closes :D
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Augh  

My real life disstractions are almost as bad as your writers block. It took 3 days to read this whole thing, and fer me, that's really bad.....
I like this, reminds me of me as a kid. I do kinda feel for Jem. I'm sure he has a legit reason for his reactions to the kids' -adventureing-
But, then again, I'm bias. I have a soft spot for bishis (Men who look like girls)
even if it's only a little, I've kinda fallen for him. That uber kawaii(Cute) moment where Win said he looks like their mother made it for me =^.^=

I can see a dashing return to glory, getting over whatever has been holding him back, and throwing his whole being into helping the kids complete their mission. But that's a long way of, I know, *Sniffle* So I gotta go with the munchkins being munchkins!
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks for taking the time to read through this Pope, much appreciated. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it's cool that you've taken such a liking to one of the characters. Let's just hope that he turns out to be one of the good guys, eh. ;)

Thanks for voting everyone! I'll leave this up for a couple more days, and then get to writing the next chapter, and hopefully my 'block' won't return. ;)
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject:  

Okie dokey, poll is closed, and looks like this kids are going to do what kids do best, run rings around the grown-ups! ;)

Thanks all for voting, and I'll see if I can get a new chapter out within the next couple of weeks. :)
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject:  

SparkleSteps - Chapter Ten

At the sound of Jem's voice, a whole host of emotions ran through Milo's head. Relief that someone more capable was close by, slight annoyance at being found out, but most of all fear. The lengths that Jem had gone to, to stop them from having anything to do with the elves, proved that he wouldn't be pleased at their current situation. And, though he might have the ability to save their lives, but what would he do to Chanah and Mot, when he discovered them.

All of these thoughts and emotions passed in the blink of an eye, and Milo had made his decision. Chanah still lay unconsious at the base of the tree, while Sorren, having forgotten or dismissed Jem, approached her steadily, blade in hand. Milo knew what he had to do, and he had to do it fast. He looked to Winnie, who now knelt next to Chanah, trying to wake the elven woman. Their eyes met, and something passed between them, an understanding of some kind. Winnie nodded, and Milo hoped upon hope that she truly knew what he was planning. There was nothing left to do, but act.

With a yell, Milo, holding the sword by it's blade, threw it, full force, at the mindless warrior. The hilt of the sword hit Sorren in the back of the head, and Milo saw blood pour forth at the impact. Sorren fell to his knees, with a gasp, dropping his sword. In a blur of motion, Winnie got to her feet, and ran at him, slamming into him, and sending him sprawling on his back. She grabbed both blades from the ground, and ran to Milo, handing one to him.

"No," he said, rejecting the sword, "They won't help us here, we don't have the skill to use them. We must continue to use our wits, Win."

"So what are we going to do?" Winnie asked, letting go of the rejected weapons, allowing them to fall to the ground.

"Just try and get him away from her," he replied, "What else can we do?"

At that moment, they saw Sorren sit up, holding the back of his head, and groaning. There was something different about him, almost like he had broken away from the spell that held him. Then he suddenly stopped, and, like he was being controlled by an invisible force, he got to his feet in one quick motion, and began to scan the ground. The children realised that he was looking for his sword. They could do nothing but watch him, until his eyes found the weapon at their feet. He began to stride towards them, gaze fixed upon the blade.

With one swift movement, Milo reached down, grabbed both swords, and began to run, Winnie alongside him. As he thought he would, the mindless warrior followed, the long strides slowly becoming a jog, then a run. They made for the lake, with Sorren quickly gaining on them, Milo clutching the swords to him, and hoping upon hope that he didn't drop them. If he did, it was likely that they would all be done for. Suddenly, he had an idea.

"Run that way!" he shouted to Winnie. "Go hide amongst those trees, until you see the opportune moment."

"What do you mean, the oppor..."

"Just go, Win! You'll know what I mean when the time comes!" Without further delay, Winnie raced off in the direction Milo had indicated, and Milo saw her, out of the corner of his eye, disappear behind the trees. Looking behind him, he saw the warrior still pursued him, nearly at his heels.

They reached the lake, and Milo prepared to put his plan into action. He stopped at the bank, and Sorren, mere feet behind, halted in his tracks also, the glazed eyes seeming to look straight through the boy before him. Then he began to slowly advance, step by step towards Milo. Milo had never been so scared in his life, but he held his ground, waiting for that perfect moment, when all would come into play.

Out of the corner of his eye, Milo noticed a movement, amongst the rushes, that grew thickly at the edge of the lake. Mot, using the last of his strength, was crawling towards Sorren, using the rushes to mask his approach. When he was close enough, he reached out, and grasped the warrior's ankle. Sorren stumbled, and his attention was momentarily focused on the obstruction, creating the perfect opportunity, and both children knew it.

As Sorren became distracted by Mot, Winnie hurtled out of the trees, her small form running at full pelt towards the warrior. At the same moment, Milo fell to the ground, and rolled, placing himself directly in front of Sorren, who turned just in time to see the small girl, before she slammed into him. As they knew he would, Sorren stepped back at the force of the hit, and fell over Milo, and was sent flying towards the lake. But as he fell, he caught Winnie by the wrist. Winnie let out a cry, as she was dragged along with the warrior, towards the lake, and before Milo knew what was happening, both had disappeared beneath the water.

"Win! Winnie!" Milo called out frantically, throwing the swords aside, before diving into the water after her. Taking a deep breath, he plunged beneath the surface, searching for his sibling. The lake water, though it looked crystal clear from above, was, in truth, cloudy, and full of tangled weeds and algae, and Milo could barely see anything. Despite this, he stayed under for as long as he could, fulitely searching for his sister in the murky depths, before returning to the surface for air, then diving beneath again.

Then he felt strong hands grasping him by the ankle, and dragging him out. He kicked and fought against them, determined to find Winnie. Nothing else mattered to him. But the owner of the hands was equally determined to make him get out of the water, and ultimately they succeeded. On being hauled out of the lake, Milo found himself looking into the eyes of his Uncle. Despite his fears for Winnie's safety, Milo gulped, fearing Jem's wrath at being disobeyed. But though there was anger in the blue eyes, there was also much concern.

"Why couldn't you just listen to me?" was all that Jem said, before wrapping his arms around his nephew, and holding him in a gentle hug. Milo, surprised by his Uncle's reaction, just allowed himself to be held. "You're the only family I have left," he heard Jem murmer, "I can't lose you too." He heard a sniff, and felt Jem's body give a shudder, and he realised that his Uncle was crying. He pulled back, and looked up into Jem's face. All of the hardness was gone from the strong features, replaced by a look of heartfelt sincerity and love. In that moment, Milo knew that, despite his Uncle's harsh ways, he genuinely cared about the both of them, that, even though he had some vendetta with the elven people, his main concern had been for their safety.

The moment was broken by a voice, calling out to them from the other side of the lake. Sorren stood there, at the forest border, a lifeless Winnie in his arms.

"Allington scum! I have a deal to make with you!"

"Winnie!" cried Milo, much distraught at the sight of his sister's limp body. "She's..."

A wicked laugh came from the warrior's lips. "No boy, she isn't dead. But she soon will be if you and your Uncle do not do as I say. I want the elven maiden, Chanah, alive, and I will exchange the girl's life for her. If you choose to ignore this request, your sister will endure more suffering than you can ever imagine, before meeting an extremely painful end." He looked down at Winnie with his still glazed eyes, and Milo knew that it was the Veeka that gazed down at her, and spoke the threatening words. "Such a pretty little thing, would be such a pity." He turned back to face them. "I will give you a little time to decide, it is after all a big decision to make. In saving the life of your sister, you'll condemn the elves to their doom." He flashed them a vicious smile. "A double-edged sword indeed, but I'm sure you'll make the right choice. Tomorrow, sunset. No Chanah, the girl dies. And if there are any attempts at a rescue mission, it'll be over all the sooner." And with that he turned and disappeared into the shadows.

~~~

The time between then, and getting back to the house, passed by Milo in a blur. He recalled his Uncle, scooping up the still unconsious Chanah, in his arms, while Old Bob appeared, and helped Mot to limp back to the mansion. Milo had just dazedly followed them, all happenings and conversations passing him by. Once there, the two elves had been taken upstairs, where Violet had tended their wounds and made them both comfortable, while Jem had taken Milo through to the kitchen, and seated him on one of the benches.

He was vaguely aware of the voices around him, that of Jem and Old Bob, and also of Rosie, who was trying to comfort him, while attempting to get him to eat the bowl of stew, she had placed before him. But Milo couldn't eat, even the thought of it making him nauseous. All he could think about was the possible fates, that could be befalling his sister at that moment.

Time passed, though Milo had no idea how long he was sat there, in the kitchen. He felt himself being pulled to his feet, and steered towards, and then up, the staircase. He could hear Violets voice talking to him, though he couldn't discern what she was saying.

He suddenly found himself alone in a room, sat beside a bed, in which Chanah rested. He looked into the beautiful, battered face of the sleeping Earthie warrior, and suddenly his emotions came to a head, and he broke down sobbing. He held her hand, as he wept quietly, his tears trickling down his cheeks, and falling into his lap, all the while feeling blank, and useless. Thoughts of blame swam through his head, as he pictured his sweet, innocent little sister, at the mercy of Veeka.

"Who knows what he might do to her?" he whispered. "He could be torturing her right now, the... the... monster! How can I just sit here, and do nothing, while she might be drowning in fear and pain." He looked into the face of the sleeping, unhearing Chanah. " And how can they hand you over? With your death comes the death of millions, with both Winnie, Jem and I likely included amongst them anyway. One life seems trivial compared to millions more, but she's my sister, and it's my fault that she's out there, alone, with that beast. How can I abandon her? What should I do? He got no answer, but he hadn't expected to. In truth, he was asking himself what would be the right thing to do, what must be done.

Okies, dp is just that, what should Milo do? Should he wait, as the Veeka ordered, and put his sister's fate into the hands of the others. Or should he take matters into his own hands. You decide. ;)
Thanks for reading all, I hope it was okay, and that you enjoyed it. I had real trouble with this one, so let me know if it needs some work. Thanks again, and I await your comments and suggestions. :)

Storygames Home -> SparkleSteps Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4