Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

To Survive Divinity: Chapter TWENTY-NINE Now Playing!
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Storygames Home -> Storygames: Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Novelest_Ninjagirl

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:  

Makes sense. ^^ Like I said, I'm the one who read it wrong. I'll pay closer attention next time.
Andolyn

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject:  

We've made it to page 3!!! :D
kkdestiny

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject:  

*does a dance* :3
Cyberworm

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:  

Splendid chapter, lass. I'd say she'd memorialise Amelia and give a speech that'll give even more hope to the girls. She is the leader, she's the Che Kaijavara! :P
Lilith

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject:  

In my humble opinion, Kaija should probably get some rest first, just because they've all had a terrifying and nerve-wracking day. Maybe she could do the memorial tomorrow and have the other girls help make it, except Rebecca, she's a bitch. So just have a little meeting when they're not all busy, it might make them have a closer bond during the other Disciplines. Plus maybe they could do it in the gardens where it'd be pretty.
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject:  

I caught up finally! And it was well worth it, very enjoyable, vivid read! In that final chapter alone, the diversity of emotions that you put so tangibly into words is fabulous. The heartbreak of losing Amelia, the rage taken out on beauty, the tension between herself and Death followed by unfathomable peacefulness. Very good and much enjoyed!

Though she should rest, I don't know that Kaija will be able to right away. Not after everything that has happened over the previous hours. I think she needs to unwind her mind a little, and personally, I feel there is no better way to calm oneself than to be near to other living, non-judgemental creatures. She's aware there's a stable somewhere nearby because one of the other offerings is placed there to work. Seek it out and spend some time in the company if the horses housed there. :)

Looking forward to more! Keep up the good work! x
themightyzan

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject:  

Caught up! Yay! Still loving it. But I tell you that often, so you already know. ^.^
Andolyn

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject:  

Poll is up, lovelies!
Andolyn

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject:  

This chapter is short, but it was very difficult to write. There is a lot of personal emotion in it, and I only hope I did it justice. It was written to the song "Love Never Fails" by Brandon Heath, if you'd like an extra punch of feels.

~#*TSD*#~
When I enter the main corridor, the hall is empty. Though I try for silence, even my usually quiet footfalls sound garishly loud. When I reach our room, every one of the girls is still awake. Vivienne and Jocelyn are sitting together on Amelia’s bed, crying quietly. Amberline is sitting alone on her bed, cradling her head in her hands. Only Rebecca seems unaffected by what’s going on. She’s smoothing her outfit for tomorrow, humming cheerfully.

My presence is noticed almost immediately, and all eyes are on me.

“Kaija,” Jocelyn says softly.

“Do you finally realize, now, how strong Lord W—” Rebecca begins, but I cut her off before she can even say that blasphemous name.

“Shut your mouth,” I hiss, my eyes flashing dangerously at her.

Without waiting for a reply from any of them, I stalk over to Amelia’s wardrobe. Roughly, I throw open the doors and begin rifling through the clothing. I find the dress that Amelia was wearing when we arrived. Like all of our Offering Day dresses, it is simple sackcloth with a few ruffles and flowers pinned in various, flattering places.

I rip it from the hanger and fold it neatly. Then, hugging the fabric to my chest, I head toward the veranda. I hear the girls following behind me, but I don’t look back. On my way down the stairs, I grab one of the many torches that line the balcony’s ledge.

“Kaija, what are you—” Rebecca begins.

“Sssh!” One of the other girls stops her for me this time. I’ll have to thank them for that later.

At the bottom of the stairs lies the river that we crossed in order to get to the Discipline. Looking to my left, I see the cavernous mouth of the tunnel that runs under the palace. A chill runs up my spine at the yawning darkness, but I shrug it off. I have work to do.

I head, instead, to my right. Laying the simplistic dress lovingly on a rock, I keep moving to the little, wooden bridge. I pause to shove the torch I took into the ground. After a couple of solid kicks, I’m able to dislodge a board from one of the bottom stairs of the bridge. I can replace it tomorrow after I finish with Lord Death’s flowers. I pick up the wood and the torch and head back over to Amelia’s dress. The other Offerings have gathered behind me to watch what I’m doing.

Amelia was a thin, little thing—only twenty-one years old—and the dress reflects that. We make the Offering dresses ourselves, so they are extra special. I hold up the fabric for a moment, memorizing it, before holding it to my chest in a hug.

“I’m sorry,” I whisper as tears sting my eyes.

I place a kiss on the cloth and fold it, placing it carefully on the wood. Reaching for the torch, I light the dress on fire and hold the wood over the rushing water.

“‘When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you,’” I whisper the words, allowing my pain to fall with my tears. “‘When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.’”

My heart is broken, but the words from my holy book are a comfort to me as I push the tiny funeral pyre out into the river. A sob escapes my lips as the wood slips from my fingers. I stand, following the makeshift raft on the bank. I move past the bridge and out to the very edge where the waterfall rushes down into the lush, green basin.

Somewhere down there, Amelia’s body is resting. I wasn’t able to do anything for her in life, and this is the best I can offer her in death, but it’s all I have.

The wind blasting up from below whips my hair and blows my tears backward as I watch the light of the little fire disappear into the mist below.

“‘God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,’” I continue to whisper when I feel hands on my shoulders. Amberline, Jocelyn, and Vivienne have joined me at the canyon’s edge, and each of them has placed a hand on me. I hear their sobs and sniffles vaguely, but I carry on. “‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.’”

We stand this way for a long while, staring out into vague shadows. The light from the moon casts an enchanting light on the landscape below us, and it glistens on the river that winds through the basin. Far away, in the distance, over the mountains, I can see it glistening on the sea. I wonder if my little memorial will make it that far. I know that our tears will.

I close my eyes, praying silently for a moment. I pray for the safety and comfort of the women around me. I pray for the soul of Amelia because I don’t know her eternal fate—that, perhaps most of all, plagues me. I pray for myself and my own strength. If I am to lead these women, I’m going to need it. I pray for wisdom and courage to do what I need to do.

When I’ve finished, I take a deep breath.

“Goodbye, Amelia,” I whisper, stepping back through the three women crowded around me.

Vivienne, Jocelyn, and Amberline remain by the waterfall when I return to the room. I pass Rebecca. She mutters something about destroying property, but I keep walking. For a time, I’m alone in our room.

I make my way over to Amelia’s bed. I look in her wardrobe, but I only see the clothing provided to us there. Kneeling down, I slide my hands beneath the mattress. My hands hit something cold, and I remove a locket on a chain. I don’t open the locket. Undoubtedly it was something she treasured, and I don’t want to intrude.

Looking around to be sure that no one has returned to our room, I pull out my holy book and place the thin locket in the pages. I close it gently and put it back in its place. This way, Amelia’s prize will be kept safe. Until I die, the thing that she loved enough to bring with her, here, will be guarded.

Climbing into my bed, I close all of the curtains and lay back on my pillows. I close my eyes, but sleep eludes me, as usual. Thoughts of Amelia trouble me, and I can’t shake them. Silent tears still flood my face as I hear Jocelyn and the other girls returning from outside. They are quiet as they crawl into bed, and eventually, sleep overtakes me.

~#*TSD*#~

DP: What does Kaija do the next day? A bath would probably be good. She's going to need to finish the flowers and replace that step...but what else does she do? Does she go talk with Digg? Spend time with the other Offerings? Something else? You decide.
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject:  

Great chapter, Andi. Very emotional and heartfelt. One can feel the emotion from all parties involved.

I think Kaija needs a little solitude to gain some personal perspective. If she feels she needs to she can gain some advice from Diggory another time, but right now I think she'd benefit greatly from some alone time. She seems to feel that everything is placed upon her shoulders, so she's entitled to it. Go about her business for the day, by herself, and have a quiet but intense think about things.

Keep up the good work. :)
Novelest_Ninjagirl

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:  

I loved the read, even if it was kind of painful on my heart. As for what she should do? Hmm... I vote she just works on what needs to be done. Bathe, replace the flowers and the step, focus on the monotony of necessity to get past this.
Andolyn

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject:  

Since the last one was short, and since there have only been two answers so far...and they were basically the same, I went ahead and wrote the next chapter! Enjoy!

~#*TSD*#~

Everything is darkness. I am overcome with pain, but I am unhurt. I can’t remember why my heart hurts so very badly. I’m frightened. I’m suddenly alone, though I don’t know who it was that accompanied me before. I can’t remember. Everything is darkness.

The morning’s light filtering in through a gap in my thick curtains irritates me into wakefulness. My eyes are still puffy, and my hair is a matted mess. Likely, some of Amelia’s blood is still lingering there.

Reluctantly, I slide out of my warm, cozy bed, only to find that I’m alone in the grand room. From the angle of the sun, it is late in the morning, so I gather that the other girls went on with their duties and left me to sleep. I’m very grateful for that at this moment. I’m also grateful for the solitude. It gives me time to think.

I pull a simple, cotton dress out of the wardrobe and move out and down the hallway to the baths. The extravagant room houses several large tubs, all of which have access to the unthinkable extravagance of hot water on tap. Never in my nearly twenty-five years have I had a bath that was drawn up by electric pumps—this one will be my second since coming here.

Hot baths were reserved for special occasions back home. I usually enjoyed one on my birthday each year. My mother would wake me up that morning with my favorite breakfast and a tub full of hot water that she had painstakingly heated over the hearth by hand in our small kettle. It probably took her a whole hour to fill the whole thing, and at that, what I considered a hot bath then was barely lukewarm when compared to this divine feeling.

A pang of longing hits my heart as I slide into the steaming liquid. I miss my mother. I miss my whole family, but right now, I really need my mother.

As I get out and get dressed, I wonder how my family is faring on the farms. As I make my way out and have a bit of food from the kitchen, I wonder if I’m eating something that one of them harvested by hand. Maybe this bread was made from the wheat that my father so tirelessly cuts with his scythe. I wonder if my older brother had a hand in butchering the pig that provided this ham. Maybe my baby brother held this apple when it was plucked from the tree in the orchards. Perhaps my mother churned the milk for this cheese.

These thoughts comfort me as I head out of the palace to where I was working the night before. I know that they are unlikely. There are almost fifty families that work the farms. We have a lot of people for which to provide, and places with fertile ground are few and far between. One would think that would make my home a wealthy state, but that isn’t the case. All resources are sent through the gods first for “blessing”. They see to the division of the portions after their own tables have been filled. Our people are impoverished while their hard work is poured into palaces like this one over the known world.

Despite that, the off chance that my family was directly involved in my provision is still just that—a chance. It’s a hope. It’s comfort. Today, I’ll take it.

Everything is just as I left it in the field of lilies. All of the flowers are in pots in the wagon, and my tools are laid out in a row. I pick up the spade and head for the row where I was working when I stopped. The last flower in line is a white Madonna lily. I pause, staring at it for a moment. My eyes fall to the spade in my hand. I can almost see Lord De—Elias’s long, elegant fingers curled around it.

The fact that Lord De—Elias—That’s going to take some getting used to.

The fact that Elias spoke with me for so long and helped me after I destroyed something so beautiful of his still baffles me. He wasn’t upset about it in the slightest. He didn’t react at all, outside of curiosity, to me singing to a god other than he. I rather wonder if he reacts to much of anything, or if he meant what he said about being numb after so many years. He certainly seems numb—tragically sad, but numb. It almost makes me pity him.

Shrugging the thoughts from my mind I turn back to the flower in my hands. The very idea of a lowly Offering feeling pity for one of those with power is laughable, at best. If War heard me say that, I’d probably be killed on the spot.

A shiver runs up my spine as I carry on with my work.

My mind tries to travel to Amelia, but I stop it. I can’t afford to dwell on things. I was essentially useless to her, but I did everything I could possibly have done to save her. It simply wasn’t enough. I will carry the weight of her death for the rest of my life—I know that. Letting it consume me would do nothing for the other girls, though. My only option now is to make a decision to keep my actions from bringing pain to any others. I will do everything possible to aid them, and no one else will be placed in harm’s way because of me if I have anything to say about it.

I’ve also got to focus on keeping myself out of harm’s way—out of War’s way, really. I’ve stood up for myself and the other girls twice now. There’s absolutely no doubt that he’ll be gunning for me from here out. I can’t worry about that either, though. I made a promise to help Amberline and the others. I’m not about to go back on that. I’ll just have to be more careful with how I help.

When I finish with all the flowers, I stand and wipe my brow. It’s well beyond lunchtime by the way the sun is beginning to dip in the afternoon sky. I quickly wash my face and arms in the fountain, resting with the remainder of the food I brought as a quick and easy meal. I don’t much feel like being near other people today, so the less I have to be in community areas, the better.

After my break, I head toward the stable in hopes of finding Diggory. He’s not difficult to locate. He and Amberline are working with a new colt. I call him over, and he jogs to me, breathless.

“How are you, Child?” Diggory asks me with a sad smile. “Amberline said you were taking Amelia’s death pretty hard.”

“Yeah,” I say, biting my lip. I’m not sure which question I’m answering. Both, I suppose.

“You know you can’t blame yourself for Lord War’s actions. That girl was doomed whether you would have tried to help her,” Diggory lays a big hand on my shoulder. “At least you didn’t let her die alone on that wire.”

I hadn’t really thought of it that way. The idea that I might have at least been a comfort to her in her final moments does lift my spirits ever so slightly.

“Thanks, Digg,” I try to smile at him.

“That was a good thing you did,” Diggory continues. “Those other girls needed the closure you gave them last night. They needed you to follow through and lead them. Well done.”

“I did it for myself,” I tell him honestly. “I couldn’t just let her death go unmarked.”

“Whatever your reasons, it was a good thing,” Diggory cups my face in his calloused hands, lifting it to look at him. “We don’t see leaders emerge in the Offerings. It just doesn’t happen. It’s every woman for herself in this game. You’re special, Kaija. You’re different. With you there for them, these girls are going to have a much easier time than most. Even those who don’t survive will be better off knowing that they will be remembered. You’re doing well, child.”

I nod, and Digg wipes away the tears that appear in my eyes with his thumbs. He kisses my forehead gently before releasing my face.

“Where can I find some wood, Digg?” I ask, sniffing back my tears.

“If you’re looking to replace the step on the walkway, Barnaby already took care of it for you when he found out what you did with it. Memorializing the girls is usually a job that he takes on himself, so he really appreciated your efforts.”

“Oh,” I mumble. I’ll have to thank Barnaby later.

“For future reference, though, the woodpile is around back there,” Diggory points vaguely off behind me.

“Thanks,” I nod. “Do you have any other jobs for me today? It’s still early yet. I hate to turn in so soon.”

“If you’d like, there’s another field that could use some attention. The fountain is getting a little dingy. Would you mind scrubbing it down for me?”

“Sure thing,” I salute lazily.

Diggory grabs the supplies I’ll need before offering me his arm. I take it, and Digg leads me to where I’ll be working for the evening. My heart almost flips when I notice that we’re heading for an expansive area filled with lilies. I’m not sure why. It’s not as though I’ll see Lord Elias here or anything with the hundreds of other fields. It was also a half and half probability that I’d be working in on of his gardens.

“Is everything alright, Child?” Diggory looks at me side eyed.

I realize that I’m gripping his arm much tighter than I was before. Releasing it, I fumble for an answer, unsure if I should tell Diggory about yesterday’s encounter with Lord Elias.

~#*TSD*#~

And there's your DP! Does Kaija tell Diggory about her talk with Elias?
misterbiz

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject:  

Loving this. Loving how much she cares for the girls.

I say she tells Digg.
Cyberworm

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject:  

A nice, lovely chapter.

I also say she tells him. She can trust him and Digg obviously knows pretty much the inside out of how things work.
Seraphi

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:  

Wonderful chapter, Andy.

Also agreeing with Biz and Cy here, she can and should talk to Diggory.
kkdestiny

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:  

Hmmm...I'm not AS keen to tell him... But he seemed confused last time we told hm about Elias...maybe he'd like to know as much as e'd like to tell him.

I'm also starting to wish we were a bride given to him instead of War XP
Novelest_Ninjagirl

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject:  

As usual, I'm the dissenting voice- he warned her not to trust anyone, and personally, I would include him. As nice as he's being, she has no idea why he's been offering her his help. On top of that, telling him what happened may alienate him and reduce the likelihood of any future help. She should practice holding her tongue.

Andolyn

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject:  

UBER long chapter...but the last couple have been on the short side. Lots of things going on here, and I couldn't reach a good DP. So. Here you go.

**DISCLAIMER** MATURE CONTENT AHEAD. READ AT YOUR OWN DISCERNMENT

~#*TSD*#~

“I—uh.”

“Kaija, you can tell me anything,” Diggory stops and looks at me with concern in his stormy eyes.

I take a steadying breath.

“I spoke with E—” This switching thing is going to kill me. “Lord Death…”

“You what?” Diggory’s eyes grow round.

“Last night, when I was working,” I look at my feet. “Lord Death showed up, and we talked for a while. He helped me plant a few—”

“OH, Child,” Diggory begins pacing. His anxiety is making me nervous. “This isn’t good. He can’t—he mustn’t do this.”

“Diggory, you’re scaring me,” I grip his arm as he makes a pass by me, and he stops pacing.

“I’m afraid,” Diggory looks at me very seriously. “Lord Death has already crossed War for you once. Now he’s meeting with you privately?”

“I wouldn’t call it ‘meeting with me’. He just came to see about the damage to the flowers,” I mutter.

“He came to see about you,” Diggory sighs. My head shoots up, and I stare at him in disbelief. “Yesterday afternoon, Lord Death came to me and asked if I knew where you were. He told me you disappeared right after the Discipline, and no one knew where you’d gone. I told him that there had been an accident in one of his gardens and that you were fixing things. I never thought he’d go looking for you.”

“Lord Death was looking for me?” I repeat his words. Maybe if I do that enough, my mind will be able to absorb them. “Why would he do that?”

“He’s interested in you, Child. I told you. You’re different. You’re special. Lord Death sees that too, and that is a bad, bad thing.”

“He seemed so wonderful, though…” I mutter. I truly do feel like a girl arguing with her daddy about a boy. “He made me feel safe.”

“Of course he did,” Diggory looks at me, obviously still distressed. “Lord Death is an incredible man. He certainly has my respect.”

A strange relief washes over me at his words despite how perceptibly anxious Diggory still is.

“My respect will do nothing, though, if Lord War catches him showing interest in you. You are an offering to War, and he is extremely jealous over what he sees as his property. I care very much for you, Child, and I don’t want to see harm come to Lord Death either. He’s suffered enough already in his years.”

“Digg,” I say, placing a hand on his warm, masculine face, “you know Lord Death and Lord War far better than I, but even with my limited knowledge I wouldn’t call coming to check on me after what happened at the Discipline ‘showing interest’. From what you say, Lord Death is just a good man. He probably would have done the same thing if it were any of the girls.”

Diggory sighs, and for the first time, he appears to relax.

“Perhaps you’re right,” he nods. “Just please, Kaija, be careful. You’re very dear to me. Seeing you go through those awful Disciplines is difficult enough. I don’t want to see you in any extra danger.”

“I’ll be careful, Digg. I promise,” I assure him.

We chat for a while longer about trivial matters before I set to work on the fountain. Night falls again before I’m finished, and by the time I get cleaned up and back to the room, all of the other girls are already asleep. I slide between the sheets and drift off myself, thinking hard about everything Diggory has told me.

No one can be put in danger because of me. If Lord Elias’s attention will cause him to be in danger, I’ll simply have to see about dodging his attention.

Three days pass in much the same manner as the first after the Discipline. I wake up, do my work, spend time with Amberline, Jocelyn, and Vivienne to keep our spirits up, and then we go to bed. Rebecca is War’s personal attendant, and she’s always gone until late at night. We’ve settled into blissful monotony, and I find myself thinking that if life could continue this way forever, it might not be so bad. We’ve only got a little over three weeks until the next Discipline, though, so I know that’s only wishful thinking.

Today, the morning dawns peacefully. The girls and I chat quietly as we get ready for our respective days. The sting of Amelia’s death is still with us, but it has dulled considerably. Her bed and wardrobe have been taken from the room. I say a silent prayer of thanks that I was allowed to retrieve Amelia’s locket before it was destroyed or thrown out.

“I really like the other cooks,” Jocelyn is telling us as we walk. “They’re all so nice. They’ve taken great care of me.”

“Same with the housekeepers!” Vivienne says excitedly. “They do so much! You’d never know, though, because they’re in and out before you notice!”

“Are you enjoying the stables, Amberline?” I ask, smiling.

Before she can answer, though, screaming resounds from down the long hallway. We look at one another for a brief second before I tear off down the corridor. I hear the others following behind me.

I reach the end first, and I immediately wheel around and sprint in the direction from which I came. The younger two of our group are only eighteen and nineteen years old. They mustn’t see this. I grab Vivienne and Jocelyn by the arms and drag them with me.

“Amberline!” I shout, calling her attention as she follows the three of us.

“What is it, Kaija? What’s going on?” she demands.

“Take these two, and don’t come out until I tell you,” I order, shoving the three of them back toward our room.

“What’s going on?” Amberline repeats.

“Do as I say!” I bark, shooting her a meaningful look. “I’ll explain later.”

All three of them look confused, but they follow my instruction. I take a deep breath, trying to settle my churning stomach, and head back to the source of the commotion.

A crowd has gathered now, all staring stupidly. High above the ground, a young woman is suspended from a rope attached to one of the exposed beams in the ceiling of this particular room. She is bruised and battered, scars covering her olive skin. Her skimpy, burgundy clothing suggests to me that she is one of War’s Brides, and it’s obvious from the placement of some of the bruises that she’s been sexually assaulted; the varying colors of them tells me it happened more than once. On the wall behind her, chilling words are spelled out in the girl’s blood.

I was worth more.

Anger and a flood of other emotion that I can’t quite name overwhelm me. Hot tears threaten my eyes, but I refuse them.

The ladder from which the Bride jumped to her death is still standing beside her. Without hesitation, I climb up and pull a blade from my boot. I cut through the rope, dreading the appalling thud that will come when she drops, the it never comes.

I look down to see Lord Elias cradling the young woman in his arms. I have no idea when he arrived, but I’m glad that he did. The thought of the woman falling to the floor had sickened me. Lord Elias looks into the Bride’s pale, bruised face with that familiar sorrow in his celadon eyes. Kneeling with her, he brushes a piece of her ebony hair from her eyes. The gesture is almost loving in its gentleness. With his thumb and one finger, he tenderly closes her eyes and bows his silver-white head.

“Has anyone called for Barnaby?” I hear Lord Elias say softly as I climb down from the ladder.

“I’m here, my lord,” Barnaby doesn’t even sound like himself.

I go over to the wall and stare at the haunting words.

I was worth more.

Nothing could possibly define our status here more concisely than that one statement. We are seen as nothing. We are treated as property—toys to be played with and then discarded. The reality of our worth, though, is so much greater that it’s painful. Evidently, that pain became too much for this one, beautiful woman.

I lay the knife that I used to cut her down on the skin of my arm, just below my elbow. With a quick motion and a pained grimace, I make a line, leaving a trail of my own blood. I take some on my finger, and below her writing, I place a few words of my own.

Yes, you were.

I force myself to turn around, but the body is gone. As if to answer my unspoken question, Lord Elias begins speaking to me. The crowd is still gathered behind him.

“Barnaby took her out to give her some final respects,” he informs me, staring at the floor vaguely.

As I move to exit the room, I almost run smack into Rebecca. Perfect.

“She was one of Lord War’s Brides, huh?” she shakes her head with a look of disdain. “Obviously she was too stupid to comprehend what a privilege it is to be offered to one as great as—”

Smack!

I don’t know what just came over me. My hand moved before I gave it permission to do so, and it landed, full force, across Rebecca’s cheek. Several gasps resound through the room, and Rebecca herself is lost for words as she stands before me, staring like I’ve grown another nose. Tears gather in her eyes as she grasps the reddened place on the side of her face.

“You don’t get it. Do you?” I spit, venom dripping from my every word. “As Offerings to your wonderful Lord War, we are to be raped and assaulted every day until we die of it.” Over Rebecca’s shoulder, I see Lord Elias flinch at my words as though he was the one I struck. “That brave, courageous woman simply took back what measure of control she could instead of waiting for Lord War to kill her. Show some respect for another human being for once.”

With that, I shove past the sniveling girl and run out of the room to find Barnaby. When I see him, he’s already outside, heading for the place beyond the stable where Diggory indicated the woodpile could be located.

“Barnaby!” I call.

“Go back inside, Miss Kaija,” he answers without turning.

“But I can help you!” I insist, almost having caught up with him.

“I don’t need help; go back inside,” Barnaby still doesn’t look at me.

“Barnaby, I—”

“Your place is inside!” Barnaby snarls as he turns on me. “Tend to the living!”

I am utterly stunned. I haven’t known Barnaby long, but this is completely out of character for the sweet, quirky man I know. By now, I’m used to being yelled at, but he is perhaps the last one I expected to speak to me so roughly.

Without waiting for a reply, Barnaby wheels around and continues marching toward the stables. I feel a cool hand on my shoulder, and I turn to see Lord Elias standing behind me.

“Let him go,” Lord Elias says softly. “This is something Barnaby always insists on doing alone.”

“Why?” I ask after a moment’s hesitation, staring after Barnaby.

“You should ask him sometime,” Elias replies. “Come, Miss Kaija. As Barnaby said, we should see to the living. Things are a bit chaotic in the wake of this.”

With those words, Lord Elias begins walking back inside. I bite my lip for a time, watching until Barnaby disappears from view. Then, I turn and follow Elias. He’s waiting for me about fifty yards away, black cloak dancing around his feet. When I begin walking, he does too, turning back once more at the door to be sure I’m still following.

When I slip silently into the palace, I see that Lord Elias was correct about the chaos. War has arrived, and he’s raging. Before I can step forward and see what’s happening, a large form cuts me off.

Diggory wordlessly takes a handkerchief and bandages my arm where I cut myself. When I meet his gaze, he gives me a silencing look and places one finger on his lips.

“I want to know who cut her down without my permission!” War roars.

“I told you before; I did,” I hear that gorgeous tenor of Lord Elias’s voice as he lies smoothly.

“How dare you. You know they are to be left up as a testament to their shame until I give the word to cut them down,” War’s voice drops into a low growl.

I begin trembling, and I look desperately to Diggory. He only shakes his head, still shielding me with his back to what’s going on.

“Forgive me, Lord War,” Elias doesn’t sound at all fazed by War’s ferocity. “Barnaby was available to take the girl, and procedure slipped my mind.”

“Cross me again, and that may not be the only thing that ‘slips’,” War says, danger rolling off the words in waves.

I hear gasps throughout the crowd, and I peek around Diggory’s arm to see why. War and Elias are nearly nose-to-nose. The former is rage personified, while the latter is the image of stoicism. The source of the crowd’s astonishment, though, isn’t in the challenge. It’s the small blade that’s being held against Lord Elias’s throat, just below his sharp jawline.

My heart stops, my eyes go wide, and I throw myself forward. Lord Elias is in very real danger. His life is in jeopardy because of me. I had no idea War was sick enough to leave bodies on display, and Elias just lied to cover for me. I have to stop this.

An arm that may as well have been a metal pole stops my momentum and throws me back against the wall, pinning me there. Before I can say anything, Diggory clamps a hand over my mouth. When I meet his gaze, it is full of silent warning.

“Please,” Elias says, his face still lacking all traces of emotion, “for the love of anything good left in this wretched hell, do it. End me. Do one kind thing in your hate filled existence, and put me out of my misery.”

The anticipation is going to kill me. I can no longer see around Diggory, and no one is speaking. My heart pounds in my ears, and I find myself gasping for breath. I’m trembling from head to toe. I wait, expecting to hear the sound of Elias’s tall body hitting the floor. When it doesn’t come, I move to peek through the space between Diggory’s arm and his chest.

War’s face softens, but it is no less terrifying as it falls into a wicked grin. He removes the blade from Elias’s throat, letting it slide across the pale skin as he does. Elias doesn’t even flinch as dark, crimson liquid spills onto the white scarf that’s tucked neatly into his black collar.

“Careful,” War purrs. “One of these days, I might just grant that wish.” He steps back and begins walking away. “For now, though, I think forcing you to continue living is a much better punishment.”

When War is gone, a low hum of awkward conversation covers the crowd. Lord Elias finally relaxes, putting a slender hand over the deep cut on his neck. He sighs heavily as a woman runs up to him. She’s dressed in a simple, modest, blue dress. I guess her to be one of his Brides.

“My lord! You’re bleeding!” she fusses, offering Elias a handkerchief.

Lord Elias takes the cloth from her, still staring off in the direction War just left, with a deep frown marring his expression.

“I’m alright, Charity,” he assures her softly. “He didn’t hit anything essential.”

The gentleness with which Lord Elias addresses the young woman strikes me, as does the relief that washes over her face at his words. She seems to genuinely care about him. It—in contrast to the events that lead up to this confrontation—speaks volumes to me about the vast difference between the two gods.

“I’m glad to hear it, my lord,” Charity follows Lord Elias’s gaze after War. “I was terribly frightened that he was really going to hurt you this time. Why did you lie?”

That’s what I’d like to know.

“I couldn’t let him hurt her again,” Elias states simply. My heart thumps against my chest with a pang of guilt. “Let’s go, Charity. This is going to need a bandage at the least. You’ll probably have to help me since I can’t see it.”

“Of course, my lord,” Charity falls into step behind Elias as he takes off at a blistering clip.

When the room is empty, I feel Diggory’s vice grip loosen. I’d love nothing more than to run after Lord Elias and see that he’s really okay, but as the tension leaves my body, so does the strength, and I fall into Diggory’s arms.

“Whoa, there,” Digg says as he steadies me. “I’m sorry if I was too rough. I just saw where your brave little mind was going, and I didn’t want you to get both of you killed.”

“He could have been killed either way,” I mumble into Diggory’s arm as I melt into his embrace. “And I don’t know if I could stand having anyone else die because of me.”

“Lord Death is the one who told me to catch you and hide you when he saw that Lord War was here. The way things played out was his decision. I think if he’d been executed, Lord Death would have been happy to die with purpose. If you’d have run out there, his sacrifice would have become meaningless.”

I know Diggory is right, but I don’t have to like it. I get an uncomfortable chill when I hear that Lord Elias planned to have Diggory stop me.

“Why did no one tell me not to cut her down?” I look up into Diggory’s grey eyes.

“Because it was the right thing to do,” the older gentleman smiles at me warmly. “It wasn’t what War likes, but you had the courage to do what no one else did. No one stopped you because they wanted her to rest, and Lord Death covered behind you because he agreed with your decision.”

“Then why does it feel like I did something wrong,” I sigh, heading toward the door. Diggory goes with me and signals for the guards to open it.

“Because sometimes the right thing to do isn’t always the most popular thing to do,” Diggory says, motioning for me to lead the way.

“I’ll be out in a bit, Digg,” I suddenly remember something. “I promised the other girls I’d go get them when things calmed down.”

“Did Amberline see?” Diggory asks solemnly.

“I stopped them before any of them saw,” I shake my head.

“You’re a good woman, Kaija,” Diggory nods at me. “I’ve got you working on harvesting sunflower seeds from fifty-eight today. Head on out there when you’re ready.”

“Yes, sir,” I say with a half smile.

“What’s going on??” The girls practically pounce on me when I enter our bedroom.

“Lord Death walked by a few minutes ago holding a bloody cloth to his neck!” Vivienne cries.

“There was…an incident,” I press my lips together, deciding whether or not to be truthful about everything that happened. I decide that Rebecca will tell them later if I don’t. “Someone committed suicide. I cut the body down, and Lord Death stood up to War for me. He told War it was he who got her down, and War cut him for it.”

“Lord Death lied to War?” Jocelyn’s eyes might pop out of her head if she widens them any further.

“Yeah,” I bite my lip. “He was protecting me. Turns out Death is a really great man.”

Jocelyn and the other girls exchange glances of amazement. Amberline asks the question I was hoping she wouldn’t.

“Who was it?” she questions with a knowing expression on her face.

Amberline, Rebecca, and I are the three who have been offered to War. We share the same fate. I hesitate for a moment, wishing I could protect her.

“I don’t know her name,” I sigh finally. “She was one of War’s Brides.”

Amberline gives me a look that says everything I feel. Jocelyn and Vivienne glance between us. At least they will be spared.

“Well,” I kick at the ground awkwardly, “we should really get to work now.”

“Yeah,” Amberline says softly, but before I can leave, she stops me. “Kaija?”

I turn back, and Amberline throws her arms around me. I return her embrace, feeling much like an older sister.

“You shoulder so much for us,” Amberline says tearfully. “Thank you for letting us keep at least this much of our innocence.”

I’m really close to bursting into tears when Amberline releases me, and Vivienne and Jocelyn take their turns hugging me. After that, we all go our separate ways. I head out to the field Diggory indicated earlier and work until late into the night.

When I’ve finished with my work for the night, I head back toward the palace. Off to my left, though, something catches my attention. A large fire is burning over near the woodpile.

~#*TSD*#~

DP: Investigate the fire? Go to sleep? Something else?
Sapphire_Rayne

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject:  

ALRIGHT. Since you've written so much, let me tackle it all one by one.

I'm rather glad we spoke to Digg about it, as the two of them seem to have a father-daughter relationship and hiding it from him might have left Kaija feeling rather guilty. We as the readers also now know some of the information that Digg has, such as Elias asking where Kaija had been before seeking her out! You know how I feel about Elias, I'd love to just know the man!

Now when it comes to . . . well the tragedy, I have to say that I felt more emotions that I wish I had. I know "they're only characters" to some people but the way you write and pour your own energy and emotion into it makes them feel real. As if I could meet them one day. I felt Kaija's determination to keep the younger ones from having to see what very well might be one of their realities, and the bruises! Don't get me started on how angry I got reading how battered the woman was, or how upsetting it was that she had felt degraded enough to seek a way out.

I just knew Kaija would cut her down, and to see Elias treat the poor woman with a kindness she was obviously not shown in life got me choked up - that and Kaija writing a response in her own blood. AND DAMN REBECCA. I didn't realize I could dislike a character so much - not counting War of course. I think everyone can agree that he's just unlikable - but I do. I jumped out of my chair when Kaija slapped her. It was about damn time! Not only that but I am glad Kaija finally keyed that girl into what her life may be about - if she lives far enough that is.

I was rather shocked by Barnaby's actions and tones. I mean, having a death is upsetting - I won't try to play off that it isn't - but to have him snarl at her like that. Like Kaija I was shocked, and confused at the change in character. I thought that maybe he knew her, or maybe he's like that with any of the girls who die.

DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON WAR. He makes me so mad! UGH! And to have Elias lied and cover for what Kaija did, just melted my heart because he's trying to protect her. And Digg holding her back, just oh man. I was at first like "Let her go Digg! Let her go!" and then that knife came out and I was like "Keep a hold on her! Don't let go!" And Elias telling War to end him. Oh man. Just the shock, oh man.

Loved Charity and her snippet. It shows the difference between Elias and War and how they treat their brides. Like, no where in there did Charity seem frightened, or demeaned. Her outfit was modest and she seemed concerned for Elias. I feel like that's something important to point out.

I also loved the exchange between Digg and Kaija as always. And her time with the girls, just aw. I just really adore Kaija.

For the DP, I am rooting for investigating the fire! Kaija is naturally curious and if the previous chapters have told me anything, she'd definitely investigate.
Cyberworm

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject:  

I'm with Rayne on this, on every account including the DP. Kaija is the nosy type, so it's a no-brainer. Off to check the fire. I believe it would be a funeral pyre for the poor woman, but I am no Kaija. :P
themightyzan

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject:  

How dare you give me such feels.

Lovely, and sad, and I didn't need that, but it was very very well done.

Diggory continues to give me life and I love him more every time we see him.

Go investigate the fire of course. We can't see a fire and not go see what it's about.
misterbiz

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject:  

Ah... The feels... Such a touching scene.

I say check out the fire. Be nosy. What's the worst that could happen?
Novelest_Ninjagirl

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:  

Alright, ouch, the feels. First thought, and the most prevalent: FINALLY, a character that doesn't slice their PALM with all those vital nerve and tendons and stuff, and instead goes for somewhere SLIGHTLY safer!

It's time for a shameful admission, due to most likely my own habits of speed reading, I had no idea which god she had been offered too, and I am quite distressed to learn not only was it to war, but also, that his brides receive such terrible treatment. I find myself wishing they had played tradesys with Kaija and Rebecca.

Speaking of Rebecca, am I the only one starting to get a little suspicious of her? I mean, not in a negative way, but... In my experience, the only time people are SO determined to stick to one mindset, never showing even the slightest ability to process new information is when they're in denial. Suddenly, it seems less to me like she's truly this revering towards the gods. I think this is just her way of handling it- if she breaks, if she admits Kaija's right, then everything going on is going to affect her, and she won't be able to handle it.
Or she's just a bit of a bleep. Either way, I can't wait to see where this character goes!

As for the dp, I wanna say she investigates it, but in the interest of always putting forth differing opinions, I say she goes somewhere quiet, perhaps deep into that sunflower field, and lets herself be effected by what happened. She strikes me as someone who's bottling it up, and she's gotta let some of that out before she shatters.
Andolyn

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject:  

Since Noni is DETERMINED to make this SG go as slowly as possible...Now polling ;D
Andolyn

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:  

When I’ve finished with my work for the night, I head back toward the palace. Off to my left, though, something catches my attention. A large fire is burning over near the woodpile. Curiosity gets the better of me, and I wander closer.

As I draw near, I begin hearing voices. Someone is singing. It’s Barnaby, and he’s singing a song about gods I’ve never heard of. It’s a beautiful song about valor and protection for the dead. It isn’t what I believe, but that doesn’t detract from the beauty in my mind.

"Oh, Valkyrie
I beg you hear my call
Another warrior
Was forced again to fall
Oh, Valkyrie
I beg that you come to me
Walk with them
And allow them some peace

Rest now, my courageous friend
You went well into that glorious end
The battles over now and all’s said and done
Though you are fallen please know you won
We’ll drink a toast as you leave the field
Rest well knowing you did not yield

Odin, all-father, please listen to my call
And accept the fallen into your halls
Tyr, sir of war, you should toast them too
After how they have carried on, spilled blood for you
Frigg, goddess mother, please open your arms
Welcome your fallen child and keep them from harm

Freya, please, open up your fields
And let in this fighter who would not yield
Bring her in, hold her close and welcome her home
Let her know that, despite the end, she was not alone
I raise my glass, so should you, and offer a toast
You might be gone but I shall keep you close

Oh, Valkyrie
I beg you hear my call
Another warrior
Was forced again to fall
Oh, Valkyrie
I beg that you come to me
Walk with them
And allow them some peace"

I wait until he’s finished, and silence falls. All I can hear now is the quiet roar of the fire. Suddenly, before I can stop it, a song of my own finds its way across my lips. It’s a song of peace and farewell, wishing for angels to accompany the dead to Paradise.

The silence remains around the corner of the shed where I know Barnaby is listening. I put my back to the rough wood and sing my heart out to the stars. I know that the girl who died cannot hear me, but I hope that my song is a comfort to Barnaby.

As I sing the final lines, I step around into the light of the fire, keeping my head down.

“Miss Kaija!” Barnaby jumps up and runs to me. “That was beautiful, Miss Kaija. P—please for give Barnaby for his rudeness this afternoon. I—it’s just that this is—”

I silence Barnaby by taking his scruffy face in my hands and kissing his cheek gently.

“It’s okay, Barnaby,” I say with a small smile. “If you’d rather be alone, I understand. I just saw the fire and wondered what it was.”

“No, Miss! Please, join us. Now that the pyre is lit, company is most welcome. I’m sure Miss Freyena would appreciate you offering your time,” Barnaby takes my hand and leads me further toward the fire.

It’s then that I see around him, and I gasp, stopping short. Over in a shadowy corner, Lord Elias is reclined on a pile of wood, watching me over a goblet of wine.

“My lord!” I quickly bow, but then I remember his request, and I look back up at him.

Lord Elias responds by raising the goblet to me. I notice that he’s wearing a new scarf. It’s tied considerably higher than normal—likely to hide the bandages from this morning’s scare.

“Forgive me,” Barnaby giggles. The familiar sound comforts me. He sounds much more himself than he did this morning. “Barnaby thought you were aware of Elias’s presence.”

“I fear we wouldn’t have been treated to that lovely song if she had been aware,” Elias hums quietly—and truthfully.

“Elias is a good friend,” Barnaby nods to me in encouragement, beckoning me closer. Timidly, I come and sit. “He always brings a bottle of his best wine as a tribute to the young ladies gone too soon.”

“That’s very kind of my lord,” I say, looking at Elias as I do. The smallest of smiles tugs at the corner of his full lips.

“Elias,” he corrects me gently. “Just Elias.”

“Okay…Elias,” I’m grateful for the heat of the fire because my cheeks have just flushed very red, I’m sure.

“Barnaby,” Elias calls, his gaze lingering on me for a few more seconds before he looks up at the quirky little man. “Why don’t you sing us another of your songs? Something lively. If I remember correctly, Miss Freyena was another spirited sort.”

“That, she was,” Barnaby grins. “Barnaby remembers her run through the Disciplines well. She made them look simple.”

Barnaby begins a lively tune about strength in battle.

Hours pass with Barnaby and I singing various songs from our two religions. We teach them to each other, and occasionally, we even get Lord Elias to sing along with us. His voice is even more beautiful singing than it is speaking.

Despite the fact that this is clearly a funeral, it brightens my spirits more and more with every passing moment. I think a woman like Freyena—what a gorgeous name—would have wanted it this way. She was worth more. Her life is worth celebrating.

When I open my eyes, it is morning, and I am still outside. I don’t remember falling asleep. I sit up, stretching, and feeling oddly refreshed for having just spent the night on the ground. It’s then that I notice I’m covered with a blanket of the finest quality I’ve ever felt. Upon further examination, I note the black color and the blue and silver accents that adorn the luxurious fabric. This isn’t a blanket at all. It’s a cloak; it’s Elias’s cloak.

“He asked me to return it to him later. He didn’t want you to get cold while you slept,” I hear Barnaby’s tired-sounding voice.

“Morning, Barnaby,” I say, rubbing my eyes and looking up. Barnaby is standing over me, staring at the ashes from last night’s fire. He looks exhausted. His eyes are sunken, and he looks altogether…worn. “You look tired. Did you stand there all night?”

“The vigil is for the comfort of the dead, not that of the living,” he answers me softly.

“I’m sorry that I fell asleep,” I suddenly feel guilty.

“There is no need for apology, Miss Kaija,” Barnaby turns to me with a sad smile. “You gave much last night in way of song and respect. I’m sure Miss Freyena is appreciative of your time.”

I look down. Barnaby begins carefully collecting the ashes from the center of the pyre where Freyena’s body would have been and placing them in the wine bottle that he and Lord Elias emptied last night. When it’s full, he sits next to me and pulls out a knife. Slowly, he etches Freyena’s name in the glass in elaborate script.

“Barnaby?” I begin quietly, questions eating at me.

“Yes, Miss Kaija?”

“Why do you do this?” I watch him as Barnaby pauses his etching. He doesn’t look up. “Why do you build the pyres alone and do all of this? I asked Lord Elias, but he said I should ask you.”

“He’s always so considerate,” Barnaby mutters.

“Forgive me,” I look down again. “You don’t have to tell me.”

“It’s alright; it isn’t a secret,” Barnaby looks up at me with a sad smile. “There was a woman who came here…many years ago. She was the most incredible creature to ever walk this earth. She was smart, witty, brave…and breathtakingly beautiful… You remind me of her.”

“What was her name?” I ask quietly.

“Jecka,” Barnaby’s smile widens, and he looks down at the ashes in his hands.

“That’s lovely,” I smile too.

“She was,” he nods. “She had the most compassionate heart—that part of you reminds me of her too.” Barnaby pauses, and I can see wetness gathering in his eyes. His voice breaks. “I loved her. During her time here, we had a powerful romance. Lord Elias knew about it, but he’s a good man. He hid us—even provided a place for us to be together whenever we wanted to be alone without having to worry about prying eyes. The Norns were against us, though. She was an Offering to War, and his hatred destroyed her. She couldn’t bare the thought of being forced to be with him. Instead of submitting to him, she chose to end her life the night of the Bridal banquet after the Disciplines.”

“Oh, Barnaby,” I whisper, my heart breaking for him.

Barnaby stands and begins walking. He heads to a small shack out beyond the horse fences. I follow him, and he continues with his tale.

“I found her. I tried everything I could to save her, but there was just so much blood. I couldn’t stop it; I was too late.”

Tears have begun streaming down my face as I follow Barnaby into the little one-bedroom house. He goes to a shelf and places the bottle of ashes lovingly alongside at least thirty others. I gasp, placing a hand over my mouth to keep from sobbing.

“I stayed with her all that night and gave her a proper send-off to Valhalla,” Barnaby places a hand on the beautiful bottle labeled “Jecka, My Love.” “I vowed from then on to be the guardian of the souls that became too lost to carry on. I light pyres for all of the Offerings who perish here, but those who take their own lives need protection. After I’ve built the pyre, Lord Elias joins me with wine as his quiet tribute. He knows what it means to lose someone he loves… In fact, he’s lost more than I could ever imagine. Elias has to be careful, but he’s always been faithful to stand by those who need him—always the silent protector of this palace. He can’t save everyone, and I know that he blames himself for that, but without him life here really would be hell.”

Barnaby comes over to me, reaching up to make an attempt at drying my tears. His efforts are futile as more flow down to replace the ones he just wiped away. I haven’t cried about Freyena yet. I haven’t cried since the day Amelia died aside from a few moments of weakness that I was able to blink back. I guess hearing that there’s someone else in the world that holds on to these deaths the way I have been is comforting. It’s allowing me to let go a little bit, so I stand here blubbering like a child.

“I know that you, too, carry so much, Miss Kaija,” Barnaby nods knowingly. “If I may, though, I need to ask one more thing of you.”

“Anything,” I hiccough through my tears, wiping my nose on my sleeve.

“Take care of those girls with you. They look to you for strength. Protect them,” Barnaby looks at me earnestly. “I’m so tired of building pyres and collecting ashes.”

I nod, sniffing again.

“I will; I promise.”

“For now, though,” Barnaby holds out his arm to me. “Let’s go find breakfast. Barnaby is hungry.”

Hearing him return to his quirky habit of referring to himself in third person forces a smile to my lips and a giggle. Life here is hard, but maybe we’ll be okay.

~#*TSD*#~

Open DP. What does Kaija do next?
Cyberworm

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:  

I quite like this somber-ish chapter. It's... given a sense of continuation after the finality of death.

And this time, I believe Barnaby's suggestion may be valid, but I get a feeling that there's nothing else to be gained at this hour.

She should accompany him to breakfast, maybe learn more about War and his misdeeds. That bastard needs to be avoided or she'll end up the same.
themightyzan

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject:  

Barnaby... Barnaby... My heart. Bless that lovely man.

I didn't think I could love anyone as much as I loved Diggory but Barnaby just came very close.

As for the DP, go get breakfast with him, OF COURSE!!!
Seraphi

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:  

Well I hope no one else plans to write a sad story because Andy is STEALING ALL OF MY TEARS.

Barnaby...I'm glad we learned more about him, but, at the same time, my heart is being crushed into tiny pieces. My love for him has grown exponentially, though. (Sweet, adorable, precious man. He deserves all the hugs.)

I also want to add that I really like the ongoing contradiction that is Elias caring so much for the living even though he is called Lord Death.

For the dp, I'm going to be boring and agree with everyone else - Kaija should go to breakfast with Barnaby.

Ooo, and I love the song Barnaby sung, btw. Is that something you created or is it something from Norse mythology?
Andolyn

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject:  

You can thank the incredible MisterBiz for that song. ;)
Andolyn

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:  

No Poll this time since everyone is in agreement. Here's the next chapter, and it's a FLASH CHAPTER!! I'll be either polling or posting a new chapter tomorrow. =D

~#*TSD*#~

Barnaby and I grab a quick bite of breakfast from the kitchens. Jocelyn is there, and she rushes me.

“Where were you last night? We were so worried!”

“It’s okay Joz, I was out taking care of some things with Barnaby. We had a lot of work to do yesterday,” I assure her.

“You’ll be back tonight, though, right?” Jocelyn looks a little anxious.

“Yeah, I’ll be there tonight,” I smile at her.

“Good. It’s just not the same without you,” Jocelyn hugs me quickly before returning to work.

“Barnaby is going to return Lord Elias’s cloak,” Barnaby offers me his arm again. “Would Miss Kaija like to join him?”

“How could I refuse?” I laugh, taking Barnaby’s arm.

We wind through the endless hallways of the palace. At one point, the passage opens up into an expansive gallery. This room is almost the size of the main throne room, but it’s lined with the most beautiful paintings I’ve ever seen. One of them, I recognize immediately. I saw it in a book once, and it’s been my favorite ever since. I actually painted a copy of it on my bedroom ceiling. The swirling blues, greens, and yellows have always calmed me.

“Starry Night,” I hear Lord Elias’s soft voice from behind me. “You have very good taste, Miss Kaija.”

“Ah, thank you, my lord,” I offer him a quick curtsey before turning my attention back to the beautiful work of art. “It’s even more beautiful in person.”

“You’ve seen it before?”

Lord Elias is polite, as always, but there’s something…strained in his voice. It should really come as no surprise to me. I’ve caused him more trouble than I’m sure anyone has in a very long time. It’s only natural that I’m not the first on the list of people he’d like to see right now.

“I have,” I respond quietly. “I saw it in a book when I was little. It’s always been one of my favorites. I never imagined it survived the Cataclysm—much less that I’d ever see it.”

“It’s one of very few of the old masterpieces that came through unscathed,” Elias says coolly.

“I’m very glad that it did,” I smile brightly as I look up at him.

Lord Elias has a strange expression on his face. He’s smiling, but it’s as though he’s fighting with it—like he’d rather be anywhere else than right here right now. I can tell he’d like to say something, but he can’t. The tension could probably be cut with a knife.

“Barnaby and Miss Kaija just wanted to return your cloak, Lord Elias,” Barnaby speaks up from behind us. I’m grateful for his timing because the pressure vanishes as soon as he does.

“Thank you very much, Barnaby,” Elias nods, taking the folded fabric. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some urgent matters to attend. Miss Kaija, it was lovely to see you again.”

There’s sincerity in his voice, but I still can’t get a read on this strange stiffness Lord Elias is exhibiting. It’s completely different from how he was acting last night at the pyre.

“You as well, my lord,” I say with a deep curtsey.

Elias inhales sharply. Something about my actions has bothered him. I wish I could see what he’s thinking. I don’t have time to ponder it long, though, before Barnaby is offering me his arm again.

“Well, Miss Kaija, I’m sure Master Diggory has work for you and Barnaby to do,” he grins at me.

That one small action puts my mind at ease. Perhaps I was reading too much into the situation. Maybe this is how Lord Elias typically is, and there’s nothing wrong at all.

“I’d say you’re right, Barnaby,” I shake my head with a smile, shoving my thoughts of Lord Elias to the back of my mind. I have more important things to worry with right now. 

The month between the first and second Disciplines is nearly up. Tensions have risen to near bowstring levels, and I find myself spending more and more time outside in the gardens. The girls fight amongst themselves…mostly with Rebecca, and when they’re not fighting, they’re loudly worrying about the next task we must face. I see no point since we have no way to know what that task might be. I’d rather just avoid thinking of it altogether.

For the first few days after the suicide, I was terrified that Rebecca would tell War the truth of whom it was who cut Freyena’s body down. It wasn’t my own life for which I feared. I don’t know what War would do to Elias if he found out—the revelation that he leaves bodies on display to shame the victim opened up a whole new realm of disturbing possibilities that I’d rather not consider. Rebecca never told, though. I suppose she still fears “Death” enough not to rat him out. Despite our fight, Rebecca is still disillusioned into loving War, but at least she’s afraid of me now, so she doesn’t cross me.

I have only seen Lord Elias one time since the Barnaby and I returned his cloak. I only saw him that time because we rounded a corner late at night going in opposite directions and very literally ran into one another—he was his usual picture of gentlemanly calm at the time, but I could tell that seeing me caused a strain in him. I suppose I finally became too much trouble, and now he’s avoiding me. Can’t say I blame him there, and it’s probably a wise move on his part.

As much as I hate to say it, and much to the chagrin of Diggory any time I ask about Lord Elias, I find myself missing him and wishing to see him more. I know I shouldn’t. Having a friendship with the man would be extremely dangerous to both of us. The selfishness inside of me says that I need as many allies as I can get in this place, though. Aside from that, I feel a strange magnetism that I can’t fully put my finger on when I’m near him. It’s probably that he’s one of the very few true gentlemen I’ve ever met. That sort of chivalry and selflessness is rare, at best, in these times, and it is attractive—especially to one facing a future as a Bride to a man like War.

On the last night before the Discipline, I’m out working in one of the lily fields. I’ve been out here since early this morning, and I’m exhausted. I should probably go rally the troops for tomorrow’s event, but I just don’t have it in me at this moment.

Taking a break from weeding the gardens, I lie back on the stone path and stare up at the stars. They’re absolutely stunning tonight, and there isn’t a single cloud in the sky. One of the stars falls in a brilliant streak, and I send a prayer with it for safety and wisdom tomorrow.

My place on the ground is shockingly comfortable, and my eyelids begin to grow heavy.

“There are beds in the palace, you know,” my eyes snap open; I didn’t even register falling asleep. “I’m certain you were provided one of them upon your arrival.”

The tenor voice sounds close…very close. I turn my head to the left to see that I am a mere foot away from Lord Elias. I jump, and he laughs.

“Relax,” he says, still chuckling as he looks up at the sky.

From my point of view, Lord Elias appears to be upside down, but that’s only because he’s also lying on the ground, his feet pointing opposite of mine, so that our heads are next to one another. I briefly wonder how long he’s been there.

I hurriedly try to sit up.

“Forgive me, Lord Elias—”

“Elias,” he cuts me off, reaching one long arm up to pull me back down by the shoulder. “Just Elias.”

“Elias,” I repeat, returning to my position on the ground.

It strikes me that he’s being extremely candid in contrast to our last few meetings. I’m not really sure how to respond.

“I don’t know that I’ll ever get used to the beauty of hearing that cross your lips,” he displays a small smile.

I’m certain my cheeks have flushed red, so I say the first thing that pops into my head in an effort to change the subject.

“What are you doing out here?” That was a very bold question of me to ask—par for the course.

“Well,” Elias presses his lips into a thin line, but his strange eyes still sparkle with amusement. “This is my garden.”

That’s very true. He’s got me there.

“I may or may not have selected this particular garden after offering sweets to Barnaby in exchange for information on your whereabouts. I may or may not have also been hoping to catch you singing again.”

Now I know my face is red.

“Instead, I found you napping. You’re a rather adorable sleeper,” he grins with the most genuinely happy smile I’ve ever seen on his face.

“How long were you there, exactly?” I question.

“Oh, not long,” Elias answers, still grinning as he looks back up to the stars.

He’s not going to tell me how long. Fantastic. I try to gage by the moon’s position how long I was out, but I can’t remember where it was when I fell asleep.

Elias’s expression suddenly becomes serious, though, as he locks eyes with me once more.

“You really should be careful, though, Miss Kaija. It isn’t safe to just fall asleep anywhere. If War were to have found you…” a crease appears between his brows as he frowns.

“That’s the beauty of it, though. I didn’t select one of War’s gardens for a napping place. I chose one of yours, and you’re certainly not the type of creeper who gets personal satisfaction from tormenting sleeping women—oh, wait,” I shoot him an accusatory look, and he laughs again; it’s a lovely sound. Mission accomplished.

Elias sighs contentedly, and we lay in silence for a few moments, staring at the night sky. Another star falls over us, and this time the prayer that comes to mind shocks me. I pray for Elias to find happiness. I pray that he always laughs like this.

“The next Discipline is tomorrow,” Elias mutters.

“I came out here with the purpose of avoiding that topic,” I say bluntly. “Let’s talk about something else.”

“Alright, what would you like to discuss?”

“I’ve been wondering,” I say after thinking for a few seconds, “what’s your power? I mean I realize you control death or something, but what is it, exactly?”

“Oh, no, Miss Kaija,” Elias dances around the question. “I spent a long time rambling about myself when we last spoke by the fountain. If we’re getting into back stories, I want yours.”

“How about we play a game?” I counter.

“Compromise,” Elias nods with a thoughtful frown. “Alright.”

“We take turns offering information about ourselves. One fact each,” I rattle off my rules. “If one of us can’t think of anything, the other person gets to ask a question, and it must be answered honestly.”

Another smile tugs at the corners of Elias’s mouth.

“Deal,” he says firmly.

“I’ll go first. I have two brothers,” I say simply.

“What are their names?” Elias asks as though I’ve just told him the most interesting detail in history.

“Ah-ah! That was one fact about me. It’s your turn,”

“Okay,” he says, frowning with mischief. He thinks for a time and then speaks. “I’m not really a god.”

“I knew that already. It doesn’t count,” I state, not looking at him.

“You did not,” Elias looks at me with feigned offense. “You may have suspected, but you didn’t know.”

“I did,” I nod with certainty. “Try again.”

“Ugh,” Elias huffs, but there’s a smile on his face. He thinks for a while longer. “Well…after you know that, I’m really not that interesting.” He presses his lips together with the defeating realization.

“Okay,” I grin, “then what’s your power?”

“I!” Elias acts as though he didn’t hear me, “am a big fan of cheese.”

“Cheese?” I raise an eyebrow at him.

“Cheese,” he glances at me with a flat expression, as though that wasn’t an incredibly bizarre fact. “And bacon.”

“Together?” I fight to keep from laughing.

“It’s your turn,” he plasters a smug grin on his face.

I roll my eyes with a sigh.

“I hate tomatoes,” I giggle, thinking of a time my mother tried to make me eat them.

She did it because that’s all we had at the time, but I’ve always been stubborn, and I chose to sit at the table without eating them for several hours until my older brother took pity on my and ate them for me. That was a hungry week for me until we were able to get our hands on some potatoes, but I still smile at the memory.

“Why tomatoes?” Elias looks at me like I’ve grown another eye.

“Nope. No explanation,” I laugh.

“Fine,” Elias chuckles. “I still can’t think of anything I’d call interesting about myself.”

I think for a moment. I know that he’s going to do anything to keep from having to answer the question concerning his power, so I think of something else. Maybe he doesn’t actually have power…wouldn’t that be interesting?

“If you aren’t a god, what do you believe?” I finally come up with a suitable substitute.

“What do you mean?” Elias looks at me with a soft smile. It seems this is a question he’s much more comfortable answering.

“Well, you have to believe in something, don’t you? Life would seem sort of empty without some sort of faith.”

“It is empty,” Elias frowns. “I know that there is a Being higher than myself…a Creator. Since War did away with all other religions, though, I have no way to know what that Being is. I wish I did…”

I make a mental note that I should share my faith with Elias. As much as I’d love to tell him right now, the time doesn’t feel right, but I know that I will tell him one day.

“You’ll have to tell me about your God sometime,” Elias smiles as though he’s just read my mind. “I know that’s a lot to ask in this time seeing as you don’t know me that well, but I really would love to know. Barnaby has told me about his gods, but that faith doesn’t feel right to me. I know that there’s only one God. I don’t know how, but I know it in my heart.”

“Maybe sometime we can talk about it,” I smile back at him.

“Indeed. For now, though,” Elias grins. “It’s your turn. I want to know something about you.”

I sigh, looking up at the stars.

“My older brother’s name is Noel. My younger brother is Zathaniel,” I state, smiling in reminiscence.

“I’m sure you miss them,” Elias says quietly, and something I can’t quite name flashes across his eyes as he studies me.

“I do,” I nod.

Elias remains quiet for a time before drawing in a quick breath.

“Yes,” he says firmly.

“Yes?”

“Yes. I eat my cheese and bacon together.”

I can’t help but laugh. We carry on this way for quite a while, and before long, it’s as though I have no troubles in the world. I’ve not been torn from my family. I’m not about to face my death when the sun rises, and for the first time since I arrived at this place, I’m not frightened. I’m just lying on the ground, in the middle of the night, enjoying the company of this incredibly strange, wonderful man.

~#*TSD*#~

DP is simple. Do we continue talking to Elias? Or do we decide to go elsewhere for some reason? If we decide not to continue talking, why not? You have 24 hours!
Novelest_Ninjagirl

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject:  

Let's let her have her moment, and continue talking. Loved the read! Definitely wondering why Elias shifted into being friendly again.
themightyzan

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject:  

TALK WITH HIM !!! You have too!

Lovely chapter. I just want to smoosh the two of them together and make them kiss. ^.^

As a side note. Barnaby is wonderful.
kkdestiny

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject:  

Hehe...Im concerned with how much time she has of the night, but Im willing to go along with the bandwagon on talking. :)

Maybe we could ask why he's tense in the castle...as I think it has something to do with it.
Andolyn

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject:  

This one's long...but it's packed full of good stuff...enjoy!

~#*TSD*#~

There’s another span of time spent in contented silence before an odd thought strikes me.

“Elias,” I frown, “why are there no children in the palace? You both have had so many Brides…”

As soon as the words are out of my mouth I wish that I could take them back. A pained expression flashes across Elias’s face, and my mind goes to a very dark place.

“I’m sorry,” I squeeze my eyes closed with a grimace. “I shouldn’t have asked that.”

“No, it’s alright,” Elias gives me that tragic smile that breaks my heart. “It’s not what you’re thinking.”

I give him an apologetic look as I wait for him to continue.

“From what we can tell, those with power and those without are not biologically compatible. Only one of the gods has ever fathered a child, and the mother is also one with power,” Elias’s voice is very soft, and I’m desperately fighting the urge to move around so that I can hug him.

“That’s another reason I covet a mortal life,” he sighs, chewing the inside of his cheek. “I so desperately desire to be a father. Bringing a child into this hell would be cruel and selfish of me, though, even if I had the means. Under War’s tyranny, the child would likely live a very short and tormented life. That knowledge does nothing to quell my longing, however. I suppose I truly am a selfish man.”

“I don’t think that’s selfish at all. I think you’d be a wonderful father,” I have been very bold once again. Elias’s eyes widen slightly as he looks over at me, and I have a strong wish that I would just dissolve into the ground. “Uhh, sorry.”

The shock fades from Elias’s face, and it melts into a warm smile.

“No,” his smile does funny things to my heart. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” I manage to mumble in reply.

“Miss Kaija, may I be forward for a moment?” Elias doesn’t meet my gaze when he asks.

“I think I more than owe you for the number of times I’ve shoved my foot in my mouth with you around.”

Elias chuckles, and then he grows serious.

“I truly admire you, Miss Kaija,” he says softly rolling over and propping his head on his hand. “You always put others before yourself. It’s a rare quality these days.”

“This coming from the man who got his throat sliced in order to cover for me,” I meet his gaze knowingly, mimicking his actions so that we’re looking eye to eye.

“You saw that,” Elias looks shocked, and then his face falls. “I asked Diggory to hide you.”

“He did hide me, but I still saw,” I inform him. “I tried to run to you, but Diggory stopped me. I was really afraid War was going to kill you.”

“He wouldn’t,” Elias shakes his head, looking down. “Not for something like that. He leaves me alive mostly out of spite and to prolong my torture.”

I lay back and stay silent for a moment, battling with my tongue. Finally, it defeats me, and I clamp my eyes closed, bracing for the impact of my next words.

“It hurt me to hear that,” I blurt out. “You asking him to kill you.”

When Elias doesn’t answer, I peek one eye open. He’s still got his head propped on his hand, and he’s looking down at me with a peculiar expression on his face. It’s somewhere between sorrow, gratitude, and something else I can’t quite put my finger on.

Looking into his pale eyes, I see centuries of suffering and pain, so profound that it overwhelms me, and I feel as though I can’t breathe. I also see the wisdom that came out of the life he has lived. To see him now, though—this pitiful creature of sadness and heartbreak, so numb to every human emotion that he literally begs for his life to be over—I wonder if, in his seven hundred years…he’s ever really lived?

And how? How, with everything he has seen—with all that he’s endured—can he still be so very kind? Elias is a marvel to me—an enigma.

“I didn’t mean for you to hear that,” he finally says quietly, lowering his eyes. “I told you before that long life is a curse, and I meant that. It robs you of any shred of dignity or humanity. It leaves you a hollow shell, so empty that you just want to end it all because, really, what’s the purpose anymore?”

I can’t help it. My hand moves of its own will, and before I know what I’ve done, it’s resting on the side of his face; it’s surprisingly warm. I suppose, given his pallor, I didn’t expect him to be warm. Elias doesn’t shy away from the gesture, so I allow the unruly hand to remain where it is. I look intently into the oblivion of his pale green eyes, fighting the breathless abyss of them.

“There is always a purpose,” I whisper. “Freyena had a purpose, and that is the true tragedy of her death. She lost sight of that purpose in her pain. No matter the agony you face, don’t you ever lose to it.”

Elias’s eyes widen as he stares back at my determined face in astonished silence. I need him to hear what I’m saying, though, so I continue without faltering.

“You have saved my life twice in the last month. You have brought comfort to me and countless others in the palace. You have offered safety and protection for so many while placing your own life at risk in order to do it,” I pause, trying to get a read on him before I continue. “If you were to die now, I don’t know what would become of this place, but I know that I personally would never be able to recover. If nothing else will change your mind, then please…allow me to be your purpose.”

Elias opens and closes his mouth several times as though he has one thousand things he’d like to say but can’t choose.

“You don’t have to respond,” I say, removing my hand from his face. “Just do it.”

Suddenly, Elias grabs my hand before I can fully lower it. He frowns, staring at it as he closes his other hand over the top of mine.

“Thank you,” he whispers intently as he looks up. He pats my hand gently, looking back down. “Thank you.”

We sit for a long time just staring at our clasped hands. Elias bites his lower lip, and I get the feeling that there is so much more he’d like to say. Instead, though, he finally squeezes my hand tightly while taking a deep breath and then clearing his throat.

“Well, Miss Kaija,” he says, standing to his feet and helping me up after him. “It is late, and you have a very trying day ahead of you.”

“Indeed,” I say, looking up to the moon. It’s well past midnight. “Thank you for a lovely chat.”

“It is I who should be thanking you, Miss Kaija,” Elias bows deeply to me, and my heart begins beating faster. “Thank you for reminding me of my purpose.”

“Of course, Lord Elias,” I curtsey to him.

“Elias,” he corrects me with a chuckle. “Just Elias.”

“Just Elias,” I repeat with a smirk.

The next morning dawns with the same nervous buzz that came with the last of the Disciplines. All of the girls are quiet as we get dressed. No one wants to say it, but we’re all wondering which of us won’t be returning to the room tonight. Barnaby’s words ring in my mind.

I’m so tired of building pyres…

He won’t be building any pyres for my girls today if I can help it.

I put on my leather outfit from the first Discipline, synching the belt tight. When I go to tuck in my pockets, though, I frown as my hand hits something hard and cold. Wrapping my fingers around the objects, I pull out two smooth stones.

A flint? How did that get there?

With a frown, I shove the flint back in my pocket. I’m sure that will come in handy at some point. Maybe all of us got one for this Discipline.

I look around to the other women in the room. Vivienne, Jocelyn, and Amberline are fastening the belts on their outfits like mine. Rebecca, of course, is dressed to the nines in a frilly, layered dress.

Her. Barnaby might be building a pyre for her today.

No. No pyres. Period. I silently scold myself for my thoughts.

“Alright, ladies,” I say, clearing my throat. “I have absolutely no idea what we’re walking into today, but I promise you I’ll see to it that all of you come out safely. There will be no repeats of Amelia this time. I need you to be strong, but I will protect you.”

“That’s what you said last time too,” Rebecca snorts—from a safe distance so I can’t cause her bodily harm again.

“Rebecca!” Amberline shoots her an icy glare.

“No, she’s actually right,” I stop Amberline because she looks like she actually might go cause bodily harm on my behalf. “I did say that, and I failed. I was reckless, and I didn’t think things through. I won’t make that mistake again.”

“We know you’re going to support us,” Vivienne lays a hand on my arm. “We’ll try to be strong enough to do the same for you.”

“Alright, Offerings! Is everyone ready for the big event?” Ophelia’s gratingly cheerful voice makes me twitch.

I have a feeling it doesn’t matter if we’re ready or not. We’re going anyway.

~#*TSD*#~

Ophelia leads us out in the opposite direction from the location of the high wire. After trudging for the better part of an hour, we arrive at a site with two large flags—one each in the colors of their respective god. Beneath them, War and Elias stand watching our approach. As we draw nearer, all of us lower our eyes.

“Good morning, Offerings, and welcome to Discernment. The task is simple, really,” War’s wicked grin tells me this will be anything but simple. “All you have to do is enter the chamber here,” he motions to stairs that lead to a door underground, “and make it across the room to that exit over there.”

War points to a flag, roughly two hundred yards away. I wonder what the catch is to this “simple” task, but I know War wouldn’t tell me if I asked, and I’m sure I’ll find out soon enough anyway.

“Good luck, Offerings!” Ophelia says brightly. I’d sort of like to choke her.

War turns away from us, heading for the exit to the Discipline. Ophelia is adjusting something on Rebecca’s dress. I take the opportunity to look up in Elias’s general direction. I find that he’s staring at me intently. When I lock gazes with his uniquely beautiful eyes, I find that they are full of worry. It feels as though he’s almost trying to communicate with me through that stare, alone.

I have only talked to Elias a handful of times, and I’m still not fully certain of his intentions where I’m concerned, but I know I can trust him. He’s my safety. I would proudly call him my friend, and seeing the concern in his eyes makes me want to cheer him up even as I walk into what may very well be my death.

I bring my lips up in a half smile. He doesn’t reciprocate it. Instead, his eyes drift down to my right hip. He looks back up at my eyes and back down at my hip. With a frown, I slide my hand in my pocket. My eyes widen.

The flint. Did he put it there? How? When? Why?

I look back up at Elias, my eyes still wide with surprise. Now he’s smiling at me. It’s a small thing—just a slight, upward curve at the corners of his mouth; it’s a smile of pride. The light in his eyes is ever so slightly brighter as he dips his chin in a subtle nod.

Thank you.

I can’t say the words aloud, so I hope my eyes are enough to convey the message.

Elias slips his hands behind him, beneath the black cloak that hangs from his broad shoulders. He begins walking past the other girls and me, looking at me until the very last second, before he stalks off after War.

“Alright, girls,” I say softly. “Here goes nothing.”

With that, I head off toward the stairs, waiting for the others to fall into place behind me.

When we enter the Discipline chamber, the dim lighting makes it hard to see much of anything, and it’s hot—stiflingly so. I go in front, and Vivienne is directly behind me. Behind her are Amberline and Jocelyn, and Rebecca brings up the rear.

“I can’t see a thing,” I curse under my breath.

Vivienne clings to my shirt.

“Kaija, I’m scared of the dark,” she whispers. It sounds strange coming from an eighteen year old girl, but I guess we all have our phobias.

“It’s alright; just hang on to me,” I answer quietly.

I cautiously step down off the platform on which we’re standing. It seems there are three stairs. That’s when I hear it. Soft hissing echoes off the walls and ceiling. I feel something smooth and muscular move quickly over my boot. Anger floods over me. War really is sadistic.

“Vivienne, stand perfectly still,” I order.

I have to think quickly if I’m going to follow through on my promise to keep them all alive. Elias gave me that flint with a purpose. He knew what I would face today. How does a flint help me with snakes?

I think back to my days on the farm. A memory of a time I stumbled on a rattler comes to mind. It was dark, and my brothers and I were out playing far too late. I stepped too close, and if it weren’t for my big brother, I wouldn’t be here. Noel grabbed my arm, jerking me back and shoving his torch at the snake. It hissed angrily, but it backed away.

That’s it! Snakes dislike fire. Elias gave me a catalyst; now I just need something to burn.

I side step and move my way back down the line, up onto the platform. Rebecca’s idiotic move of wearing a dress again might be just what I need right now. I crouch beside her, taking some of the girly fabric in my hands.

“What are you doing??” she shrieks.

“Shut up! I’m saving our skins,” I hiss.

All of the girls gasp when I begin ripping pieces of the fabric off Rebecca’s dress.

“What are you doing??” Rebecca repeats her question more forcefully.

“Listen,” I say darkly as I continue working. The hissing noise continues in the dark.

“What is that?” Jocelyn asks, fear creeping up in her voice.

I don’t answer. Instead, I pull out the flint I found in my pocket this morning—the one Elias somehow left there.

“Kaija?” Amberline prods as I lift a flaming strip of fabric I’ve tied to a rock.

Letting my arm swing smoothly, I toss the fabric. The flame glistens off thousands of scaly hides as it flies through the air, and when it lands, long, slender bodies slither away, hissing angrily as they go.

“Oooh, god of War,” Rebecca clasps her hands together in front of her face, “save us!”

“War’s the one who forced us into this mess,” I spit. “I doubt praying to him is going to do much good.”

While the other girls panic quietly, I continue tying fabric around rocks, lighting them, and throwing them, clearing as much of a pathway as possible.

“How can I help, Kaija?” Vivienne crouches next to me.

“Tie these,” I toss her a couple of rocks and strips of cloth.

“This is genius!” Amberline marvels as the snakes clear away from the row of dim fires.

“Hopefully, it will be enough to get us all out of here alive,” I grunt as I throw the last rock as hard as I can.

Even throwing it that far isn’t enough to make it all the way to the other side. I glance back at Rebecca, and with a huffing sigh, she begins ripping more of her dress off for me.

“We need to move. These aren’t going to stay lit for long,” I say, stepping forward. “Stay close, and stay calm. We’ll have to stop so I can light more when we get to the end, and some of these suckers are brave.”

Occasionally, one of the slithery pests gets gutsy enough to wander into the small rings of light, but for the most part, they keep to the shadows, hissing hatefully at us for disturbing them. I’m not afraid of snakes; I’ve dealt with my fair share of them living on the outskirts of town, but I know better than to get cocky in a pit of vipers.

We make it almost to the end of my lights with little incident outside of Rebecca nearly catching herself on fire by letting her ruffled skirt too close to one of the flames. As we go, we pass multiple skeletons of fallen Offerings from years past. I shudder, but I keep moving, praying as I go.

I quickly bend, lighting more cloth strips that I’ve tied to rocks while we walked. The other girls are coming up behind me when the worst possible thing happens. I turn just in time to see one of the sneaky menaces coiled to strike the next person to come close. At the same time, Rebecca stumbles, coming within a foot of the irate creature.

There’s no way Rebecca would be able to move in time, even if I could get her to see the snake. I am the closest to her, and I know that I have about two seconds, at most, to act. I promised to protect these girls, so I do the only thing I can at that moment.

“Rebecca!” I shout, throwing my leg out in front of hers from my position on the ground.

Sharp pain shoots through my leg, like I’ve been smacked with a barbed stick, and my whole body spasms with the shock. With a quick motion, Amberline grabs the distracted serpent just behind the head. She squeezes its jaws, causing it to let go of my leg, and flings it back several yards while Jocelyn pulls Rebecca further into the ring of light.

I fall backwards, biting my tongue to keep from screaming. The pain in my leg is not unbearable, but I know that isn’t necessarily a good thing. I have to remain calm for the sakes of the girls I’m leading.

“Kaija!” Amberline screams, running to my side.

“I’m okay,” I lie through gritted teeth. “Bring me more cloth. We’ve got to keep moving.”

It’s true. The lights behind us have already dwindled. Some have gone out. It’s only a matter of time before the ones keeping the snakes out of the immediate area are gone. I also know that I need to keep as still as possible for as long as possible, waiting for the venom to set up in the wound. We’re in a tough spot, but I can’t risk the lives of all of us just so I can keep sitting. Rebecca’s skirt isn’t long enough to keep making lights indefinitely. We have to get to the other side.

While Amberline, Jocelyn, and Vivienne gather more stones and tear more fabric, Rebecca comes to my side.

“I’m so sorry, Kaija,” she cries, tears streaming from her brown eyes. “I should have been more careful.”

“It’s okay, Rebecca,” I assure her, trying to stop the uncharacteristic compassion. “You didn’t stumble on purpose.”

“Still,” Rebecca sobs.

“Hey,” I look up at her. “We’re all going to make it out of here, okay? Don’t you worry.”

Now, what happens after that…? I can’t say.

I keep my dark thoughts to myself. We’ll deal with one crisis at a time.

Gingerly, I lower my boot to my ankle and pull the pants up off my steadily swelling calf. The wound isn’t terribly deep, but it’s ugly. Two puncture marks are surrounded by red, angry flesh. This isn’t good. I saw a lot of snakebites working the meager farms on the outskirts. Without serious and rapid medical attention, the prognosis was usually grim. I seriously doubt War is going to be open to rushing me out to the hospital…or doing much of anything, really.

One crisis at a time.

After I light more of our little makeshift lamps, Jocelyn and Amberline lift me to my feet. Holding my leg as still as possible, I hobble forward, leaning heavily on Amberline. We only have to stop one more time before we reach the large, metal door on the other side.

Hesitantly, I check out the handle, fearing there might be a trap waiting to be triggered by it. There isn’t, and the evening sunlight floods through the door, as it swings open. Vivienne goes up first, followed by Jocelyn, then Rebecca. Amberline loops my arm around her shoulders, and we go up together.

As we near the top, the faces of those waiting for us come into view. War’s expression is less than pleased when he sees that all five of us have survived. Ophelia rushes for Rebecca, her pet, and begins fussing over her ruined dress.

I watch as relief washes over Elias’s face when he catches a glimpse of me starting up the stairs. His expression falls, though, when I reach the top, and he sees my leg. His eyes widen before he looks back up at my face, and his mouth opens as though he wants to speak, but I shake my head subtly, silencing him. Elias clenches his jaw with an expression I can’t read.

“Oh, dear me!” War feigns concern. I bite my tongue and look at my feet. My leg is almost twice its normal size now. “It appears that not all of you were able to pass cleanly through this Discipline. I guess not all of you have perfect Discernment.”

“My Lord War?” Rebecca’s timid voice sounds off from my left.

I look at her in horror. What is she doing?

“You may speak, Offering,” I can hear the joy in War’s voice at seeing me fail.

“Forgive me, my lord, but Kaija had perfect Discernment. None of us would have survived without her.”

I will Rebecca to stop talking with everything in me. If she says what I think she’s about to, War might kill her, and then all of this will have been for nothing. Unfortunately, following with her usual idiocy, she doesn’t stop talking.

“It was I who failed, my lord,” Rebecca continues. “Kaija got hurt to save me.”

“How touching,” War says with a venomous smile.

The smile falls, however, and he steps forward. Instead of going to Rebecca, he walks up to me; I almost sigh in my relief. War takes my face in a firm grip between his thumb and fingers. I’m sure I’ll have bruising there, but I mask my discomfort, keeping my eyes down no matter how high War pulls my chin.

I breathe slowly and steadily, blocking out everything War says. I can’t let him anger me. I can’t show out right now. Getting my heart rate up will only cause the poison to spread faster, so I have to remain calm no matter what.

“All that tells me is that this Offering has very poor Discernment,” War continues, his voice dripping with disgust. “These Disciplines are meant to weed out those of you who are weak.” War spits the word, and Rebecca flinches. I remain still. “What good does it do if the strong ones of you keep doing stupid things to help the weak along?”

I have a feeling he wants an answer, but I don’t give him one. I simply remain standing still, my eyes closed.

Finally, with a hard shove, War releases my face and strides away. I stumble backward, but I’m able to stay standing.

“The Discipline isn’t over for you, Offering,” he calls back to me. I keep my eyes closed, facing forward. “You still have to survive. Now, all of you get to work!”

~#*TSD*#~

DP? Kaija is hurt badly. She's not aware of any way to get medical attention. She's been told by War to go work. What does Kaija do now? Go to work like she's told to do? Something else? You decide!
kkdestiny

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject:  

Oh wow...I'm...not sure what to do x.x

Though, I am worried about Elias starting to help...it wont mean anything if we go down because of a snake bite.
Novelest_Ninjagirl

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject:  

First of, I'd sort of like to smack her too. Also, Rebecca might not have totally redeemed herself, but it's nice to see she's a well rounded person with some measure of a conscience. It was a fascinating read, and I liked watching her figure it out. Go team secret flint! Also sweet, dress to the rescue.

Secondly, what she does should be the first thing she should have done. If she can do it herself, lean over and suck as much blood/venom out of that wound as she can. *

*I have been informed this is actually a bad idea, but I'm standing by my opinion.
themightyzan

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject:  

Tourniquet and pray for the best?

Lol.

Rebecca, sweetie, you need to be punched. On that note, appear to get to work but make the others help you come up with a plan to get help. Especially Rebecca since it was her fault.
Andolyn

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject:  

I worry about you all and your snake bite after care. XD

Considering holding a first aid class...HAHAHA!

Poll is up!!
Andolyn

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject:  

Ophelia takes Rebecca by the arm, fussing about getting her a new dress as they go back to the palace.

“Kaija, are you alright?” Jocelyn is the first to come up to me. Either Elias is gone, or they’ve forgotten his presence. He has a talent for fading into the background, so that’s entirely possible.

“I’m fine, Joz,” I respond quietly, still keeping my eyes closed. I focus on my breathing. “All of you do as War said. I need to be still for a little while longer. It wasn’t good that I had to move so quickly. I’ll be fine; I’ll meet you all in our room later.”

Reluctantly, the other girls leave me, and I am alone—I think. With a sigh, I unbuckle my belt and lean to tie it around the area of my leg just below the knee.

“Miss Kaija,” Elias’s voice causes me to jump. He really is good at fading into the scenery, "you shouldn't put a tourniquet on that. It will cause tissue damage."

I lift my eyes to see him standing before me.

“Lor—” I stop myself, knowing he doesn’t like for me to call him “Lord Elias”. “Elias, what are you doing here? If War sees you, he’ll—”

“I am supposed to remain until all Offerings have left the Discipline area,” he interrupts me with a cool answer. “It is my duty. War will not mind.”

I look Elias in the eye. He is a beautiful sight framed by the light of the low, evening sun. It forms a halo around his head, turning his white hair gold. His features are shadowed, however, darkened with an intensely anxious expression.

“What happened?” Elias questions me.

“I got bitten,” I reply simply.

“I can see that,” Elias steps forward, kneeling before me. “The girl—Rebecca—she said you got bitten because of her?”

“She stumbled,” I look down, watching as Elias gently examines the twin wounds on my leg. “The snake was going to bite her. I stuck my leg in the way. I made those girls a promise that I’d look out for them. I did what I had to do; I had no choice.”

I fall silent, awaiting the scolding I’m sure I’m about to get for being reckless. I’m surprised when it doesn’t come. Elias only looks up at me, then stands. He looks me in the eyes for a moment, but I can tell he’s still examining me. Gently, he takes my wrist and holds two fingers on it.

“You seem to be doing alright for the moment. How do you feel?” he asks, releasing my arm. He totally ignores my little speech. It’s rather disarming.

“The bite is sore, but I feel fine. It was hard to see with the lighting so dim, but I think it was a coral snake. It will take several hours for symptoms to set in,” I’m surprised by how calm I am. Snake venom does nasty things to a person’s body. I should be terrified, but somehow, I’m not.

“We should get you some help immediately, then,” Elias moves to put my arm over his shoulder, but I stop him.

“No,” I say firmly.

Elias looks at me, confused.

“If you help me, War will kill you,” the cold intensity in my voice shocks me. I know that Elias is trying to help me, but I also know what the consequences would be if he were caught, and I don’t think I could live with that.

Elias draws in a large breath and holds it, looking at me with appraisal in his eyes. He wants to argue with me, but he knows I’m right. I stare him down, unflinching.

“Alright,” he sighs, resigned. “If that is what you wish. At least allow me to assist you in getting back to the palace.”

I shake my head, turning to hobble back. It is a slow, painful process as I try not to flex my leg even a little.

“No,” I repeat. “I will not endanger you, Elias. You risked enough by giving me that flint. We probably all would have died without it. You’ve already been hurt for me once, though. I cannot ask you to risk any more for me.”

“I would risk everything for you,” Elias says softly. He follows closely behind me, and I stop, shocked by his words. “All you need to do is ask.”

I’m not sure what he means by that, but the idea of him being harmed on my behalf brings an uncomfortable feeling to my stomach.

“Thank you,” I finally manage after several minutes of us walking in silence.

“For? You’re doing all of this on your own. I’m simply walking behind you,” I hear a deep sadness in his voice.

“For being willing,” I respond, looking over my shoulder at him. His piercing eyes are unreadable. “I am grateful for your presence right now. I just don’t want to see anyone else get hurt because of me.”

“Amelia’s death was not your fault, Miss Kaija,” he always sees straight through me.

I don’t answer him. Instead, I keep walking. Eventually, we make it back to the stables, and I begin looking for Diggory. We moved so slowly that the sun has almost set. I’m sure Amberline has already finished her work and gone in for the evening. She’s one of the fastest and most efficient at taking care of the horses, so she’s always in early.

“Digg?” I yell as we approach. Elias still walks silently behind me. “Digg! What’s my job for today??”

“Miss Kaija!!” Diggory calls cheerfully as he comes around from the stalls. “I trust the Discipline went well? I didn’t get a chance to ask Amberline, but you were quite a bit more distraught-sounding after the last one. Everyone make it out alright?”

Diggory’s eyes widen when he sees Elias standing behind me. He bows low.

“Forgive me, Lord Death, I didn’t know you were accompanying Miss Kaija,” Diggory speaks to his feet.

“It’s quite alright, Master Diggory,” Elias answers smoothly. “I was simply fulfilling my role of making sure all the ladies make it back from the Discipline. If you would, please, see to it that Miss Kaija takes it easy this evening. The Discipline did go well; everyone survived, but Miss Kaija did not come out unharmed.”

“What?” Diggory drops his formality and looks at me for the first time. His eyes fall on my injured leg, and he gasps. “The vipers…”

“I think it was a coral snake,” I inform him. “It was hard to tell, but I’m almost certain I saw red, yellow, and black. It also didn’t let go when it struck. Amberline pulled it off me.”

“Gods, child,” Diggory runs forward, looping my arm around his big shoulders. “I have nothing to treat poison like that. You need to go and rest immediately.”

“I’ll work, Digg,” I argue, running a hand over my eyes to clear my blurring vision. That can’t be good. “If you take it easy on me, War will come down on you.”

“What Lord War doesn’t know won’t hurt me,” Diggory says, and then he immediately looks over his shoulder at Elias.

“You know you have nothing to fear from me, Master Diggory. Miss Kaija wouldn’t allow me to help her. Maybe you can make her see some sense…see to it that she does rest,” Elias turns to walk away.

“Of course, my lord,” Diggory answers, looking somewhat shocked.

“And Master Diggory,” Elias calls over his shoulder, “if anyone questions, the order came directly from me.”

“Yes, my lord,” Diggory bows slightly, and I do too since I’m draped over his shoulder. Once Elias is gone, Digg addresses me. “You, Child, are going to rest. I don’t care what you say. I have no jobs for you today.”

“That’s a lie. With a place like this, there’s always something to do,” I laugh despite suddenly feeling very breathless. My leg starts burning like hot coals have been laid on it. I keep quiet, though, to avoid worrying Digg further.

“Yes. There are things that need to be done,” Diggory looks hard at me. “But none of them are jobs for you. Not today.”

Diggory leaves me standing by the barn as he runs into his small home. He thinks he may have something to at least help me a little bit.

I hate this. I don’t like that Diggory and Elias are risking so much for me. I don’t want any more deaths on my hands—especially not the deaths of people for whom I care.

I think about going to get a drink from the well. My throat is parched. As I step, though, the world blurs even more, and I feel like I’m going to throw up.

“Diggory?” I call, but the sound is weak and forced. “Diggory, help—”

I vomit, and a mixture of bile and blood spills over the ground. This is bad. This is very bad. My vision is so blurred now that I can’t see my hand in front of my face. The world is just a mess of color. My chest constricts, and I fall to the ground, unable to get a deep breath. I begin sweating profusely, even though my body feels very, very cold.

“Diggory,” I gasp, desperate. I’m frightened. I don’t want to die alone. “Elias…”

It occurs to me that of all people, Elias is the one I want by my side at this moment. I sent him away to protect him, but in my fear, I am selfish, and I want him here. I barely know him; we have only spoken a few times, and yet I feel safe when I’m with him. Elias comforts me, and I want him near me now.

“Elias!” I cry, but it only comes out as a whisper. My consciousness is fading when I feel strong arms lifting me.

“Kaija??” Diggory is shouting, but it sounds so far away and distorted. “Kaija, hold on!!”

The world shakes. Diggory is running, carrying me.

“Move!” I hear Diggory scream as we approach the massive front door or the palace.

Eventually, I’m lying in a bed…this is my bed. I think I feel something being rubbed on my leg, but I can’t tell. My extremities are numb. The numbness is spreading, and now my chest feels deadened too. It makes getting a good breath extremely difficult. I’m so cold. I wish someone would give me a blanket.

I get the feeling that the room around me is frantic. I hear many voices. I focus on them in order to cling to some measure of consciousness.

“We have to help her!” I hear Vivienne crying. I wish I could comfort her, but I can’t move.

“Diggory, what can we do? She can’t die!” That’s Amberline.

“I don’t know, child,” Diggory. Diggory, help me! “I have no way to treat this. It’s beyond my skill.”

“What can we do, then?” Jocelyn. Her sweet voice meets my ears.

“I don’t know,” Diggory sounds defeated. “Make her as comfortable as possible, I guess.”

“No,” Amberline breathes, wiping sweat from my forehead with a cloth.

My lungs are alternating between numbness and fiery burning as I struggle to keep breathing. I want to cry, but I’m too weak.

“Her nose is bleeding!” Jocelyn shrieks.

“The venom will cause her to bleed everywhere. This isn’t a good sign at all,” Diggory sounds even more worried, if that’s possible.

“What’s going on in here?? Some of us are trying to sleep,” that voice belongs to Ophelia.

“We’re trying to save Kaija,” Vivienne sobs.

“Oh, the venom is taking effect, then,” Ophelia actually sounds somewhat sad.

“If you’re not here to help then leave, Hag,” Diggory snarls. “On the off chance you are here to help, grab her a blanket. She’s freezing.”

I’m so frightened. I thought I was prepared for death, but this is terrifying. I’m in the worst imaginable pain, and yet I’m numb, unable to even cry out in my suffering. Only one name keeps coming to the front of my mind.

“Elias!” I scream. I don’t even know if it came out my lips, though. “Please, Elias…!”

“What did she say?” Vivienne stops everyone.

“Who’s Elias?” Amberline looks around.

“I am,” a new voice comes from the door, followed by the sound of fast, steady boot falls.

“Lord Death!” Diggory exclaims.

“My lord! What are you doing here?” Ophelia gasps.

“Step back,” Elias orders, wasting no time on pleasantries. “I lost enough time preparing this. I only hope I’m not too late.”

I feel something running over my leg, and then it feels like the wound is on fire again. I scream, but it comes out as a pitiful whimper.

“I am sorry,” Elias breathes, running a hand over my face. He lifts my eyelids, but I can’t see him. I hear the girls gasp. “She’s fading fast. I should have made her let me help,” Elias sounds desperate. “Drop her leg over the side of the bed. We need to use gravity to our advantage.”

I try to catch a breath, but it won’t come. My lungs have stopped responding to my efforts. The world spins and grows darker. I hear yelling, but it’s so far away…

“No, you don’t!” Elias roars. “You are not allowed to die on me!”

I awaken to a searing pain in my chest, and I gasp hungrily at the air, my lungs finally working properly. I don’t know what Elias just injected into my chest, but for a time, the numbness is gone. I can breathe, but I also feel everything. It feels as though the flesh is being ripped from my bones, starting with my leg and working upward.

A scream of agony tears from my mouth, and for the first time, there’s some power behind it. I begin sobbing violently, writhing in pain.

“Elias, help me, please!” I beg through my tears.

“I am trying, Miss Kaija. I promise you, I’m trying,” Elias assures me softly, miserably. I can hear the truth and heartache in his gentle voice.

“What did you give her??” Amberline demands.

“I didn’t want to use that. She can feel everything now,” Elias seethes, sliding his arms under my knees and my back. He lifts me with very little effort; his thin body is deceptive. Elias is incredibly strong. He begins walking toward the door. “I didn’t have a choice, though. I’ve got to get her back to my wing. I have a full medical staff there.”

Elias pauses and almost turns.

“And you,” venom drips from the word. I assume he’s talking to Ophelia. “If you breathe so much as one word of this to War or any of his underlings, I will personally kill you, and it won’t be quick.”

“O—of course, m—my lord,” Ophelia stammers.

“We’ll cover for her. Rebecca isn’t here, and she’s the only one of us Offerings who’d tell,” Amberline assures him. “Just please, Lord Death, keep her alive.”

“If only I had that power,” I hear Elias say to no one as we quickly exit the room.

We’re running again, and I can feel my consciousness fading again. I lay my head against Elias’s shoulder, unable to combat it.

“Stay with me, Kaija!” Elias practically growls at me. “I know you’re tired, but keep fighting!”

I do fight…but it’s so hard…

I feel something warm and soft against my lips. Hot air fills my lungs. Something is pounding on my chest…

I’m so cold…

Elias…Please, help me…

Help me…

I’m frightened…

~#*TSD*#~

No DP this time. Just lemme know your thoughts. ;) Next chapter will be up soon!
Andolyn

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject:  

T.

Storygames Home -> Storygames: Fantasy Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5