Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Heroes Never Panic, Part Three
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

(currently a favorite of )
   Storygames Home -> -> Heroes Never Panic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Heroes Never Panic, Part Three Reply with quote

PART THREE BEGINS

WARNING! It's another violent and gory part of a violent and gory story!

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.

Last edited by Lebrenth on Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:29 am; edited 6 times in total
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Heroes Never Panic, Chapter 15 Reply with quote

Chapter Fifteen of "Heroes Never Panic"

Manning walks past Bradshaw, who stands there with his head bowed. The sun is high, fighting to tear through the hazy clouds and winning just enough to give the city a warm glow into every street. But the warmth and light does nothing for any of the warders. Stanimir got Haymen arrested and killed Captain Taggert, and he lives. Some of the warders had been following Haymen since they were boys, including Bradshaw, and the only commander they had that they could trust in his absence is dead. Manning doesn't want this responsibility, he wants vengeance, and the only thing that stops him from following Stanimir is Taggert himself. In Acaria, about 8 months ago, Captain Taggert had a bullet in his belly from a flanker, but he refused to leave his men behind. Then when the artillery started firing on the wrong part of the city and Pullman was crushed under a collapsing building, he was sent back immediately with Taggert's horse, while Taggert proceeded on foot. Taggert would do anything for his men, and he certainly wouldn't condone Manning abandoning the Warders. Manning knows he can't go alone to find Stanimir. The warders are more than just tired, they're leaderless and demoralized. They need direction, not a man with a vendetta.

But this is only temporary. He will find Stanimir, it's just a matter or time.

"Let's go," Manning says with a crack in his voice midway. He stifles himself, holding in the flooding emotion and starts walking back. The warders follow glumly, the adrenaline wears off and they drag themselves along. The tavern, when they reach it, looks forlorn and unwelcoming. They follow the drying blood trail back inside.

"You," Manning addresses a warder while avoiding looking in Taggert's direction, "I need you to take the captain."

"Where, sir?"

"Just somewhere safe," is all Manning can say. Fortunately, that seems to be all the warder needs and he gets help carrying him. Manning still can not bring himself to look at Taggert's body as it passes a few feet from him and laid on the floor in a backroom. Meanwhile, the warders wait for no one to start eating. Each bite or sip is enjoyed as if it was the first time, but as much as they enjoy it, they do not talk or have even a hint of a grin. Manning eats slowly... very slowly. Almost unconsciously he says under his breath:

"You haven't eaten, captain." And he looks at the empty spot across the table. After a few more savorless bites, he pushes the plate to the other side, sliding the spoon next, turning it around as though setting a place for someone.

"Sir?" Bradshaw says, approaching Manning from the side without taking particular notice of the emptiness. Manning doesn't respond. "Sir, a few of us are thinking we should go find out where they're taking Haymen.... We aren't too tired either... we shouldn't have any trouble.... Sir?"

Manning looks at the table. The captain would know what to do. Bradshaw backs away awkwardly. He and two others speak amongst themselves before leaving. The ale begins lightening the mood and the talking begins, soon followed by laughter and the occasional song. One warder even begins arranging a few lyrics for a song of their latest disaster, which is received with laughing disapproval. Manning remains quiet, as the young grey-haired Rob Davison sits beside him.

"Expecting someone?" he says referring to the empty spot.

"What do you want?" Manning says tiredly.

"I just wanted to say I really respected your captain. I could tell he was a man of character," he says, and waits for response, but there is none. "He would have made a good leader. I'm sorry we weren't able to catch Stanimir, but he won't make it far. That was a good shot, by the way. He tried to dodge, but you got him.... Where'd you learn to shoot like that?"

"Cassian Army... and I did a lot of hunting."

"Really?" he says, surprised and impressed, "Vampires or werewolves?"

"Rabbits... deer.... Dumb things like that."

"Oh... sorry I misunderstood."

"No matter."

"He died well, you shouldn't grieve too much," Rob says, trying very hard to be sympathetic. Again the conversation dies. "... May I ask... what were his last words?"

"Is that what you want to know?"

"He wasn't afraid... I just wanted to know what he said... I'm sorry."

"... He told me to take his name."

"Why?" Rob says perplexed.

"I'm a deserter... his name is clean."

"I see... are you going to?"

"... I don't know...."

"No hurry. Listen, I know you want to be left alone, but you aren't alone, Gregory. We've all suffered loss.... when you need someone to talk to about it, I'm a good listener."

Again no response and Rob leaves Manning to himself, which is how he remains, even as he falls asleep hunched over the table.

Leaving hours behind in his slumber, filled with memories of his military campaigns, the warders all get their sleep with watches arranged by themselves, till Bradshaw returns and a gathering of warders wakes him as an argument heats up.

"No, the Admiral comes first! We can't risk separating the group!"

"We only need a few hands to scalp! It will be a picnic! I'll do it myself if I have to!" Bradshaw defends.

"You'll need an extra for the passage."

"Then give me one man," Bradshaw says.

"You're the only one who knows the prison!" his opponent insists.

"I don't 'know' it, I've just been there before. And Seager has been there too."

"I think the whole plan stinks! The Admiral wouldn't do it!"

"The Admiral isn't here, that's the point!"

Manning looks for the captain quickly... the cold food sits where he left it, untouched, and he remembers the captain isn't there, and that's as far as he takes it. Anyway, the captain could kill this argument. Manning listens to them and surmises that they have a plan for "getting Haymen out" of jail... it will just take a little gunpowder... or rather, a lot of gunpowder. They know where he is, though they haven't spoken to him. On top of that, Bradshaw wants to send a few men to go collect scalps from the zombies that were shot by the soldiers earlier that day, to help build up funds. But in each direction there is opposition and the argument is getting worse.

Manning stands up, hoping his mind will work fast enough to make a decision before he reaches the group.

Last edited by Lebrenth on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter's up. The "recuperate" option voted in, though you'll see the "find Haymen" option sneaked in on its own (can't help that the Warders want their old leader back). I would like to mention that while deciding what to do next, I would like a decision to be considered on whether or not to take Taggert's name, as the Captain suggested (or perhaps you could interpret it as a dying request).

And, as always, I'm happy to answer any questions if more details are needed to make a decision.

Thank you for participating! Welcome to Part Three!

Author
mr_moochie

Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I get first review. I'm really enjoying this story. You're a brilliant writer. Ok, I really like how this is turning out, though the loos of the captain was devastating. Now, I'd say Manning would take the captains name, not only to protect himself as a deserter, but also to honour Taggert. I'd say he decides to help the Warders by offering to go out and collect the scalps with Bradshaw, while the others save the Admiral.

Once again, I'm really enjoying this.
Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, take the name why not? It was his last wish if nothing else.

As for the other, well, see what the plan is in more detail first, though I think scalps must be a priority unless they are going to execute Hayman soon.
Author
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good chapter. I do think that Manning should take Taggert's name. It will itch at him until he does as his former commander requested. And he's going to feel guilty about it whether he does or not, so he might as well go with what makes him safer in the long run.

As for the main decision point, I agree that the scalps should be a priority now. We need to raise the morale of these men and quickly. They've lost almost everything in a very short space of time. Their strongest man, their captain, the captain's replacement, even the proceeds of their last hunt.

Getting Haymen back will cause problems of its own. When disturbed, people want to return to the past, where things were always better. But they weren't better, the Warders were slowly being ground out by the stronger and better SLayer teams. Haymen was leading them to a slow and comfortable death. They need new leadership and new direction.

They need to get back on the horse again, go out and collect a few scalps, and a bit of money.
Author
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. He should take the captians name and they should go get the scalps if at all posssible.

Money sounds like a very good thing at this point.
Author
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoorah! Part three! Nice one Lebby! :biggrin:

One point that confused me:

Quote:
Some of the warders had been following Taggert since they were boys

Did you mean Haymen here? Or am I just being stupid? Confused

I think that though they may want to get Haymen out as soon as possible, but I don't think it would be a great idea to break him out. They should go collect scalps, and send someone to go find out about Haymen's situation; if they are going to execute him (though I don't think they would. It wasn't that large a transgression. Or was it?) or just keep him for a while. There may be a chance to bail him out, or bribe the guards but they'd need funds for that, and to get that they need to go zombie hunting. Very Happy

*holds breath* Shocked

Thesopholis - A Noir Sci-Fi Story - Chapter 8 is up! Read it here
The End of the Voyage - Chapter 9
Shady the Furry Goblin! [Demon's, Satan and Slobadan Milosevic!] - Chapter 3
The Quest for the Legendary Rubber-Duckie! - Chapter 3
One Last Bullet.... Chapter 3
Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reward Reply with quote

Good snag, Solomon. Yes, it's supposed to say "Haymen". It's confusing enough without mixing up the names! Thanks!

Which reminds me that I'd like to mention that there is a 20F reward for anyone who finds a continuity problem in the story. This includes switched names and contradictions. Anachronisms aren't included since Ara (the name of the world) has developed its technology differently than us. So a reward doesn't go to pointing out that by the time railroads were established the percussion cap for firearms should be commonplace, and things like that.

Anyway, Solomon claims the first reward! (Let's hope I don't need to lower the bounty to prevent going broke!)

Last edited by Lebrenth on Mon May 01, 2006 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Author
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take the captain's name but be sure to honor it.

Anyway, for the desision I will you have to check what is the plan that they have. You need to know the details to know if that plan needs something to change or not. But something is for sure, they need to get up their mood so the scalps are the better idea for that.

Maybe you can go to find the scalps and talk to them on the way about their plan.

Nice chapter !
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plan is still forming for rescuing Haymen, but some quick details that will help:

Only two warders know anything about the layout of the jail, but they're certain of Haymen's location. This is because Bradshaw knows one of the guards and had a talk with him. He should be considered a friend, but Bradshaw doubts he would do anything risky or unlawful, and considers the comment on Haymen's location to be sort of offhanded and unintended, rather than a strong hint.

The plan to release the Admiral is basically to sneak over the outer wall and blow a hole in the jail. And there's some debate on whether a barrel of gunpowder would be enough to do the job, coming from men with experience with cannons.

But like I said, the plan is still forming. It needs leadership to reach fruition.

Author
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I agree, that he should take the name and honor it.

Also important to earn money, by the means necessary to do that. I know, not much new to contribute decision-wise. Cool

Author
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome chapter Lebby, Very Happy

The stoat said everything I would. I agree entirely Smile

Keep it coming and ,

Happy Writing Smile
Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so now there's a reward for doing it - must search carefully Wink

I also agree with pretty much everything that's been said before, so I'll just leave it there.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Heroes Never Panic, Poll Reply with quote

Time for another decision to be made

Author
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm convinced by the go collect scalps arguements.

Happy Writing Smile
Author
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for scalping.

"Take that you cretinous zombie! I bet you've never even read Tolstoy! Muwaha!"

*holds breath* Shocked

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the moral boosting tactics, only to ifnd everyone else did as well, which means I'm winning.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moral booters only if they don't run into more zombies Wink
Author
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the synopsis... it helped to get on board (would've been impossible for me without the help)

I'm still trying to sort out the characters but... it just seems to me that taking another's name is foolish... best to build a name anew. It seems this fella has been handed something he may not be ready for(leadership) BUT, if ya think about it, he's been tackling some pretty frightening stuff for some time now and should be capable of facing his fears, even fears of leadership.

Not sure if that statement really made any sort of a valid point as I'm still trying to catch on to the story, but hey... its an attempt to toss my uneducated My 2 Cents Smile I've heard a lot of good things about this story, and so far, the plot seems pretty dark and foreboding(a good thing) and intricate as well. I'll keep reading and form a more in depth opinion as I go... Rock On
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to have you aboard! I'm glad the synopsis helped (I did hope it would encourage new readers), but I should warn you that there are many little things that get left out from the chapters. The story is rather complicated, and we're technically only on day two (First night, travel to Tiersley. First day, investigating Tiersley and joining Warders. Second night, zombies! Second day, Stanimir and Taggert's duel) and we're approaching chapter 16.

I'm happy to hear that I'm being talked about. HNP's participants have been very generous Smile. I'll start another forum to vote on whether or not Manning takes Taggert's name so we won't have to take time away from the story. And the next chapter will be up in a few minutes!

Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Heroes Never Panic, Chap. 16 Reply with quote

Chapter Sixteen of “Heroes Never Panic”

They used to call Manning “the Tiebreaker” in 3rd Company. It was a nickname that started when he settled an argument over the ownership of a bottle of wine and solidified in the Battle of Desbon when he tipped the balance of what was considered an even match by sniffing out a few sharpshooters and using their positions for a little sharpshooting of his own. From then on, whenever there was a dispute too large to settle themselves, but too small to concern the captain, they went to Manning and he made the decision. But they were a close crew and no one questioned his decisions even once.

The Warders are from all over continent, not just Cassia, and in at least one case that Manning knows of, they even fought on opposite sides of a conflict (Tillman and Billings in a battle for Corisse). They are a crew and they depend on each other, but they sit in separated groups to talk and conspire: Central Cassians, West Cassians, New Empire men, and scattered foreigners. Bradshaw is one of the few who wanders amongst all of them, but he’s finding it impossible to satisfy everyone as the group continues to argue.

Manning settled disputes, but he never had to try hard. They came to him and asked him to settle it. Bradshaw tried to ask Manning, but he wasn’t ready for anything yet. He still feels unready, but it’s like they say, staring at the rain won’t make it stop.

“We have time!” Manning says loudly, catching everyone by surprise. For the last hour he hasn’t moved, now he’s interrupting an argument. “Haymen will still be there tomorrow. He’s safe so let’s leave it be, for now. Bradshaw and I will see if they’ll let us talk to him tomorrow and see what he wants.”

“He’ll never ask us to risk ourselves by saving him,” Salvin says.

“Then maybe we should do what he wants. There’s still a chance they won’t find him guilty. There’s a lot worse crimes to worry about at a time like this.”

A few warders look as though they want to argue the point but indecision overcomes them and they hold back.

“What we can do,” Manning continues, “is secure the scalps. We need money and all we have to do is a little cutting. We don’t need Haymen to tell us we need to do that. The best way to honor Haymen is to show we’ve learned from him, to do what we know needs to be done without being told every little step. When the time is right, we will help the Admiral. For now we do more for him by biding our time.”

Manning’s words settle in the warders, and it seems they’re ready to give him the benefit of the doubt. Their concerns are not banished, but they’re quieted, and Manning is more than happy to settle for that. Right now, keeping them moving is the best thing he can do.

“All right. We need a few hours rest, but we should talk about a plan now, so how are we going to get the scalps?”

“If we’re going in the day, we need to watch out for the guards,” Seager (the runner) begins, “but there’s a good blind spot by Tower 17. We could use ropes there and unless there were guards standing right over us they wouldn’t see.”

“What if the zombies come back?” a warder says.

“We can outrun them during the day,” Seager says confidently, and everyone did see how fast they moved earlier. It seems reasonable to assume you can outrun them, if they don’t speed up.

“And if not, we cut the rope,” Manning says gravely.

The details are arranged of who will do what, and determined that only eight men are really needed for the operation. They insist that Manning stays back, on account of the fact that he hasn’t much experience with the art of scalping, but Manning insists on being one of the men on the wall at least.

The rest, including Bradshaw by Manning’s request, stay to take account of the provisions, supplies, and ammunition, and just to get more rest. And all said and done, they leave the standard watch at the tavern with instructions to wake everyone up after a few hours.

Manning lays in bed, looking at Taggert’s empty bed. He left it unmade earlier, so Manning quickly fixed it for him. It seems the Captain hadn’t slept in it at all. With everything weighing on Manning’s mind, he worries the same will happen to him, but very suddenly he falls asleep. So suddenly that he is startled awake again for a moment, feeling as though he was literally falling. Then he is asleep again for a few precious hours.

The men watch the perimeter of the tavern carefully, but nothing approaches… not man or beast or even so much as a fly. Any living thing with the ability to move knows better than to be in Tackers District with the undead so near. It affects the dreams of the men in the tavern. If they weren’t used to it sleep would be impossible, but they let the darkness wash over them like stones in a river, accepting it, but not letting it move them. Manning, you might say, does a little rolling, but he pulls through. When the watch comes to wake him, it is a gentle shaking that brings him out slowly. And for a moment, he sees someone sitting on Taggert’s bed. Slim with young grey hair and a pale face; looks like Manning might if he were older. And the person looks down at him patiently, watchfully, before Manning fully wakes up and realizes there is no one there at all. A chill runs through him before he looks up at Davison behind him.

“Was there someone sitting on the bed a moment ago?” Manning asks Davison, who looks perplexed for a moment.

“No…. It’s time to leave sir.”

Manning looks at the bed again, and though he knows he straightened it with military efficiency, there is a depression and a few small wrinkles in the bed.

A quick tug and the wrinkles are gone and Manning makes his own bed too before descending the stairs. The men are ready soon. They have a little more to eat and together they leave in the stretching shadows of afternoon.

The patrols are heavier today than usual where the ‘incident’ occurred. Perhaps they’re concerned about how close the zombies came, or maybe they’re even anticipating the Warder’s next move. Luckily, Tower 17 is a good distance north of the place they were pulled over the wall.

The Warders spread out and to check the wall, all of them coming back with an affirmation that the way is clear. But it isn’t entirely clear at all. Perched on top of Tower 17, a city guard standing by a tall man in black with a long pony tail and carrying a telescope.

“It’s all right,” Seager says when they’re pointed out. “They can’t see our spot without leaning over. As long as we’re quiet they won’t see a thing.”

“You’re sure?”

“I spent a lot of time looking at this wall, my friend,” Seager says with a smile and clapping Manning’s back. “Come on.”

There are no stairs near this part of the wall, except inside the tower, which is locked with a standard guard’s key. Fortunately, such keys are easily purchased from Savage Hal and the Warders have had one for a long time. Nonetheless, Manning is a little alarmed when they unlock the door at the base of the tower, below the guard and the black-clad man, and no less alarmed as they climb the echoing stairway. A whisper would be too loud, and as they slowly step up they are careful not to breathe too loud either.

The doorway onto the wall takes an eternity to reach, but they make it without disturbing those above them. They tie down the ropes with the deftness of sailors and they soon zipping down them faster than Manning can say “Remember to stay quiet.”

The sound is enough to keep Manning’s eyes stuck on the tower to see if someone is leaning over now, but he sees no one.

“You better go too,” Manning says to the last Warder. “The sooner they’re scalped, the better. Give me the key. I’ll be watching for you.”

And so Manning stands alone. He soon draws up one of the ropes, just in case he needs it and leaves the other in place, hoping its inconspicuous enough to be overlooked… but not likely. He finishes bundling it up when:

“Are you a Warder or a Crossbone?” The black clad man says, now sitting on the edge with arms crossed and leaning against the tower with the rope in arm’s length. His smug grin reveals the pleasure he derived from sneaking so close to Manning without his notice. He has a sword and pistol on his belt, but he’s made no effort to draw them and he’s placed himself in a vulnerable position. It seems mostly out of confidence rather than a desire to appear friendly though.

“What do you want?” Manning says.

“You’re a Warder, aren’t you? You look too smart to be a Crossbone.”

“Are you going to arrest me?”

“Now why would I do that? Are we doing something we shouldn’t?”

The guard on the tower leans over and looks down on Manning and the black-clad man. The man looks up.

“It’s all right. Keep looking!” the man says dismissively to the guard, who withdraws. “So, how about it? What are we doing? … Haven’t I done enough to earn a little courtesy? Here, how about this?” Manning bristles as the man draws his pistol, but he lays it on the ground. “And go ahead and pick up your rifle. There… now you’re in charge.”

“I can’t let you stop me,” Manning says. “Men’s lives are at stake.”

“I can respect that. Listen, my name is Breyen. I’m a hunter, but I’ve been commissioned to assess the danger in Tiersley. Any information you have to offer would be appreciated.”

“What do you want to know?”

“The name of your affiliation would make a report more meaningful.”

Last edited by Lebrenth on Wed May 10, 2006 12:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decision point is whether to share information with Breyen, but it might be a good time to ask questions of your own if you have any.

Author
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good chapter - again Smile

I don't really think we can lose much by telling him what he's already figured out for himself.

If he wants any more than that, though, I think it might be a good idea to bargain. Ask him what he has in return for the extra information. Try to make a fair bargain, try to gain an ally if we can. We need a friend, and we need all the help we can get.

Let's hope it's not a bad choice... Shocked
Author
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice chapter.

Shady idea is good, for now. But be carful, espcially if he doesn't want to join us...
Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you do have a weapon, unlike him.

I think you may as well share the information, as he seems to have worked it all out by himself anyways.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree sharing the information doesn't seem like it would be very harmful at this point since he seems to know anyway.

Nice chapter Smile
Author
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreeing with the Stoat...bargain for information. Trade tit for tat and see if you can gain from this encounter as well as just sharing the information you have.
Author
Araex

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just caught up with the story, and I can see why its getting nominations!

The man obviously doesn't mean us any harm, and why not curry some favour with the authorities? I say we spill.
Author
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great chapter again Lebby, and sorry it took a while to get round to reading it. A mental weekend does not lend itself well to IFing. Very Happy

Just one thing:

Quote:
Manning bristles as the man draws his pistol, but he lays it on the ground. “And go ahead and grab that rifle

Calling it a pistol and then a rifle is a tad confusing, even if the black clad man just happens to call blackpowder weapons rifles, which is perfectly fine, but it needs to be explained or ommited.

I think that we can't lose anything by telling him that we are a Warder and are just collecting a few loose scalps from a bunch of zombies they had killed earlier, but had not had time to scalp yet. Maybe then get him to offer something else, and then tell him about the zombies increasing intelligence when they encountered them on thier last hunt, and then, if he is willing to offer more, you could tell him about the clearly non-human Stanimar.

*holds breath* Shocked

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was talking about Mannings rifle.

But I might be wrong.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lordy's right. Manning put his rifle down to bale the rope and didn't have enough time to pick it up before he was interrupted. He'll feel stupid about it soon, but anyway the hunter let him pick it up. Sorry that was confusing. Perhaps I can find a way to word it better.

Also Manning's blackpowder weapon has riflings and is in fact a rifle. Though you can still find the occasional smoothbore musket, most of the new long barrelled firearms have the spiralled grooves. (For those unacquainted with the concept, the grooves inside the barrel force the bullet into a spin that makes it more accurate.)

Author
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should respond by asking questions more than answering them. If the man is willing to give over the "power" in the situation, then he should be willing to explain himself in more detail.

I'd say, attempt to hire him. He seems to have the right background. Manpower can always help. And if he is an enemy in disguise, then its good to keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

The rifle thing made sense to me the same way Lordy read it, but upon reflection on that line, it does seem to be a little confusing. Leaves too much to inferance, and it seems that the cause for the confusion is related to the vagueness of which rifle the man is referring to, and the assumption that the reader understands that Manning's rifle wasn't at the ready. Still, I didn't have trouble grasping the scene and the line's meaning.

Were you insinuating Taggert's ghost was visiting him in the bed scene? Hmm... there's Zombies... why not ghosts. What do we know about ghost phenomenon in this setting?
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravagerrr wrote:
What do we know about ghost phenomenon in this setting?

I'm so glad you asked!

Ghosts are probably the most frightening of all the undead for your average Cassian because they're unpredictable and extremely mysterious. There isn't a simple formula for dealing with a ghost as there is for a werewolf or vampire or other such incarnations and all of the "facts" about ghosts are riddled with holes and vary country to country, city to city, and person to person. At best, you can assume they are spirits that are not subject to the same physical rules as the living. That said, there are classifications which help deal with them.

"Ghosts" are the simple appearance of figures, whether familiar or otherwise. They might appear to be as real as any person, or they might appear as strange lights, shadows or other benign visual manifestations. Cold spots, wailing, or even strange smells are also associated with the category of ghosts. Bottom line, they call spirits "ghosts" if they do nothing more than affect your five senses (well, your sixth one too if you're attuned to it).

"Haunts" are spirits that regularly appear in a specific area, especially if they repeat themselves a lot. A haunt might re-enact their death every night or once a year. They might affect the physical in specific and limited ways such as slamming doors corporealizing real blood or changing a room to the way it was a decade ago. Though more predictable, their actions can be varied and incomprehensibly powerful.

"Poltergeist" is another borrowed term that has been extended to mean any spirit with the controlled ability to affect the physical. They throw things or cut people they don't like, they move things around, or they might help those they like with warning or even unexplained healing and such. Though greater in control and influence, they are not nearly as dangerous as they could be.

"Wraith". A free-willed spirit with indeterminate power. Wraiths bend the laws of physics with no apparent difficulty and they will make your worst nightmares a literal reality. And the worst part is that a simple ghost or haunt could become a wraith without warning.

But these are basic classifications. There are still those they call Angels and Demons and there are numerous misfits. And the best advice anyone can give you for dealing with these spirits? DON'T. Leave them be and get away. Let them do whatever they want because there's nothing you can do, unless you believe in divinity or in mediums.

Mediums allegedly have the ability to see between the worlds and have some influence over those in the other worlds. But I'm afraid Manning and the Warders know very little about mediums or the other worlds beyond their direct influence on the physical (otherwise I'd love to get into deeper details).

Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Poll for Heroes Never Panic Reply with quote

It's ready. I suspect this will be a short voting period. And don't forget there is still another poll in the forums over whether or not to take Taggert's name.

Author
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stuck between the first and second responses... the questioning method of #2 seems appropriate, but the goal of hiring indicated in #1 seems good as well... can we get another option to represent this?

BTW... thanks for the explenations. So there is no assurance that a ghost is good or bad, no reliability on its nature, i.e. if the ghost retains its personality, nor any way to easily determine its purpose. We don't know why ghosts occur, nor why the dearly departed don't always become them. Hmm... What we have though, is a rough dictionarial description of what kinds of ghosts are known. Interesting. (This should affect the outcome of the 'taking the name' vote shouldn't it?)
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly! I'm happy to revise the poll and I'm glad you asked. I was thinking as I was posting it that I should add variations, but I skipped it. Anyway, I changed it, I just hope Ingro wouldn't have wanted to vote #4 (you'll let me know, right?)

Ravagerrr wrote:

BTW... thanks for the explenations. So there is no assurance that a ghost is good or bad, no reliability on its nature, i.e. if the ghost retains its personality, nor any way to easily determine its purpose. We don't know why ghosts occur, nor why the dearly departed don't always become them. Hmm... What we have though, is a rough dictionarial description of what kinds of ghosts are known. Interesting. (This should affect the outcome of the 'taking the name' vote shouldn't it?)

Yep, that's about right. Sometimes they do retain their old personalities, according to stories, but mostly nothing is known by most. There are some who know more, but the information available to Manning amounts to that. And we'll see what it does to the name vote soon.

Oh, and one other thing, since you mentioned "why ghosts occur". There is a strong common belief that cremation increases the likelihood of a ghost. There are other theories, but that one's a little unexpected or uncommon and does something to explain why there are so many zombies (they don't burn their dead, so there's plenty of bodies to animate).

Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for the full sharing of information.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great chapter Lebby - I enjoyed it alot.

I'm pretty suspicious of this hunter, especially the way he got rid of the guard so easily.

Yet he has made himself defenceless for whatever reason.

I went for turning the questions on to him, see what we can find out.

Happy Writing Smile
Author
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. Though he seems to be sincere, anyone can do that with a hint of theatrical skill. If he continues as he is, then we can slowly reveal more, and maybe try and enlist his help.

If he can get rid of a guard so easily like that, then he may have considerable influence within the military, which might help the warders free the old captain when the time comes. We shall see... Very Happy

*holds breath* Shocked

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Author
Araex

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we can get him to join, as he already works with the city which is a better deal than we can give him. However, he might be willing to give up information if we question him.
Author
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't you heard about bribe? (not sure about the translation)

He could work for both...
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Heroes Never Panic, Chap. 17 Reply with quote

Chapter Seventeen of "Heroes Never Panic"

Manning takes in the details of the hunter. He can almost smell the thick smug confidence exuding his skin. The pistol lays like a dead fish on the ground, but though Breyen's right hand is clearly empty, Manning can see the left hiding in the dark folds of his cloak, already gripping another instrument of death. A simple question, 'Are you a Warder?' should be safe to answer, at least to keep the conversation friendly.

"I am a Warder," Manning says, feeling a strange discomfort in his gut.

"And the men down there, Warders?" he asks in a friendly tone stripped of all fear.

"Of course. Are we the reason you're here?" Manning says, unconsciously trying to sound like the captain and hoping to begin a string of questions of his own.

"Partly. I did hear about this morning's little misadventure. Were you part of it?"

"What does it matter to you?"

"If you were, you were outside the wall at night. It's hard to observe zombies at night."

"Makes sense. ... You... just want to know what they were like last night?"

"Yes, that's why I'm here. I need to know how strong they are and how fast."

"Who do you report to?" Manning says, pleased with himself for finding another good question. The hunter considers a palpable moment before answering.

"National Defense Undersecretary Knowles. He wants an impartial review before sending reinforcements to Tiersley. It's in your best interest to help me if you don't want the city to be swarmed."

"So you have authority over the guards?"

"Not exactly," he says with a wink. "They're ordered to accommodate my needs for the investigation, not take orders from me. It's always a hassle, but they want to help me. Anyway, I'll help you get your friends back over the wall if that's what you mean."

Manning sighs. He doesn't let down his guard, but an immense stress is relieved for now.

"How long have you been here?" Breyen asks.

"A little more than a week," Manning lies effortlessly, choosing to obscure the day he deserted from the army and arrived in Tiersley. "How long have you?"

"I came in last night. It was crowded even though it was past midnight. A little rush on the East Gate scared more little people away," he says smiling and nearly laughing. "So what's your name, Warder?"

"Albert Marlow," Manning says quickly, wondering if perhaps he mixed the names up.

"Marlow," he says to himself, trying to memorize it perhaps, but almost like he's trying to recall. "So tell me about the zombies."

"... They're tough... some of them ignore head shots. They're not too smart... maybe just barely pathfinders, but they're reanimating quickly."

"Not too uncommon at night. Anything else? Perhaps something unusual happening or things you haven't heard of before?"

"There was something. We were just about to leave last night when there was this... I don't know. It rushed at us like shards of broken night... it was overwhelming... confusing.... After it passed, I felt weak... and guns starting firing on their own. It was just before the next swarm."

"A weirding. We call them weirdings, I think slayers do as well. Were you soldier?"

"No."

"Well, unusual things happen sometimes. It's important to watch for them. Anything else?"

"... What else should there be?"

"Nevermind that, I've seen things that aren't possible in places like this, but you just tell me what you saw. I can't corrupt your memory with stories."

"Nothing else that I can think of. It was a long night. ... What happens?"

"Boy, when a city is doomed, Hell itself opens for those who won't live to tell about it. The weirding you had is a welcome dream in comparison."

There is silence as both of them sort through terrible nightmares. For the Hunter, ones that he'd heard of and had once seen, and for Manning the ones mostly of feeling and shadowy impossibilities, more frightening for their indistinction than for their ordered sum. Eventually they return from their thoughts and look at each other with such unfamiliarity that they wonder how they happened to meet upon a wall between death and fear at that exact moment. The leprous city calls for help with its own fallen arm wrapping around it, screaming for blood.

"Since we're just waiting around," Breyen says to break the silence, "I was wondering if you could help me with something unofficial."

"Like what?" Manning asks apprehensively.

"I heard a friend of mine arrived in Tiersley recently... perhaps you've met him. His name is John Taggert, he was a captain in the Cassian Army."

Manning is shaken and uncertain what to say, wanting to ask a hundred questions but not daring to out of fear and uncertainty. He swallows and chooses a safe answer, but is it the right answer?

"... No... I don't think I've heard of him."

"It's all right, I'm sure he'll turn up. He always does."

The light is failing and Manning feels the world speeding up again.

"Why don't you take your hand off your other pistol and help me bring up that rope," Manning says abandoning the awkwardness of the conversation to take care of pressing matters. Breyen smiles.

"Certainly! But aren't you waiting for your friends?"

"If you can keep the guards away, we can meet them closer to the scalps. I don't think they want to spend another night out there," he says, pointing to the sun as it approaches the horizon. Breyen begins pulling up the rope, but Manning is stuck in place. Below the horizon, moving fast to the south towards his fellow Warders, a mass of figures. Breyen doesn't seem to notice, but Manning's keen eyes see them well, and more than that, he can see guns in their hands and purpose in their advance.

"Breyen what do you see over there?"

It takes a moment, but he spots them.

"They must be slayers. They're in a hurry."

"Oh god. Leave the damn rope, we got to go!"

"You'll need another rope, go ahead, I can catch up!"

Manning makes to leave and stops, then starts again, but looks back.

"I'll come! Go, warn your friends!"

Last edited by Lebrenth on Mon May 15, 2006 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Author
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, tense chapter Lebrenth. I thought the revelation that this man knew Taggert was a particularly interesting morsel. Very Happy

I think that he should obviously warn the warders, but it seems as though they are stuck. I doubt they could all climb back up the ropes in time to get away. So could they stand and fight, if neccesary? Did they bring thier weapons with them? And are they heavily outnumbered? A dilemma to be sure...

I think that he should at least warn them, yelling down the wall seems like the fastest way of telling them. I'll be back more when and if my queries are answered. Very Happy

*holds breath* Shocked

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Author
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting conversation, but be aware. Maybe he isn't friend of Taggert. We need to be sure...

If you yell from the wall, don't the slayers heard you too? We need to know that.
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, modification of the story! I wrote earlier that the hunter had a monocle! That was just my brain changing a binocular into a telescope (bi to mono), monocle came out. I meant a telescope and I'll change it.

Now for some elaboration:

First of all, Tower 17 was not that close to where the zombies were shot. It was a fair distance north, and the Warders are NOT going to be able to get back to the blindspot. As it is, if Manning runs he can stay ahead of the other group of slayers, but there doesn't seem to be enough time to get them up over the wall before they're caught, especially considering the other slayers have guns.

And certainly, any yelling or loud sounds will be heard by the other slayers and one way or the other the guards already know.

And by the numbers, there are 7 armed Warders with about 15 armed approaching slayers.

Last edited by Lebrenth on Wed May 10, 2006 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Author
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. But makes me have to think more...
Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good chapter Lebby.

I have been wondering something though.

If the zombies have the run of the place outside the city walls, where does the food come from?
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinaren wrote:
I have been wondering something though.

If the zombies have the run of the place outside the city walls, where does the food come from?

The threat of the undead is in "swarms". You can find the undead in many places throughout the countries, where ever there is death, but unless you get a serious concentration there isn't enough of a threat to be completely walled. Most cities are nowhere near as bad as Tiersley, but people just don't feel safe if there isn't a walled city at least nearby. That's why there's so much of Tiersley that is in ruins without the whole city being overwhelmed. They had a nice big wall built around the heart of the city so that if a swarm came the rest of it could retreat into it, and that's what they did. For a while the city was swamped but the seige has been going on for a month and people have been taking the train out, at times as quickly as they can. There are desolate farmlands and pastures, especially on the west side of the city, that had to be abandon when the zombies came and ever since they've been relying on food storage and food shipped in by train. The food is rationed out by the military, but you can still buy it if you've got a lot of money.

And just to mention it, there are also train restrictions in place, limiting the number of people allowed to leave. They don't want it to be completely abandon or it might as well be lost already. And naturally, once a city is lost, it is considered lost forever. With such consequences, it doesn't seem to be a great exaggeration to consider humanity in considerable peril, especially when each undead victory swells their ranks and threatens all surrounding cities.

Please feel free to ask any questions that occur to you. I have a lot of information available that doesn't make it into the story. Smile

Author
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a shot at the advancing slayers(this could be a really dumb idea I admit) from the wall... that will distract them and alert his men! What kind of range does he have with his weapon? Is this legal for him to try?
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravagerrr wrote:
Take a shot at the advancing slayers(this could be a really dumb idea I admit) from the wall... that will distract them and alert his men! What kind of range does he have with his weapon? Is this legal for him to try?

The legality is very questionable if Manning fires from the wall. Shooting from the wall is allowed if it's against the undead, but slayers? Manning certainly doesn't know. The slayers are just within range and in a fairly close grouping, but it would take a marksman to have any real hope of hitting.

Outside of the wall, the soldiers will not stop slayers from killing each other for any reason.

Author
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as it appears that if the Warders attack, they will be butchered, or at least decimated. They have to attempt to either reason with the approaching slayers, and hope that they dont ignore them and start shooting anyway. Or, this is just a thought, Breyen could help. Maybe he can try and pursuade the guards to at least prevent a massacre. Say something like it wouldn't be proper to let two groups of Slayers butcher each other so close to the walls, that it'd attract zombies and make more, and no one wants that. If they can avoid casualties, they can avoid swelling the undead's ranks. Its worth a try. Very Happy

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Author
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's good idea to waste time trying to find some help from the guards. Remember they don't work or have to obey Breyen. It's better to run to the warders and alert them. At least you will have the surprise... (even for just a few seconds)

But you could also just be prepared. We don't know if they will attack or see the warders. (A little hope, I have to say)
Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening fire could be your best chance. Maybe getting outside the wall first, just to legalise it, and then trying to pick them off.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other Slayers are presumably running from the ranks of undead behind them.

Does Manning have time to organise a wall-defence against the undead?

Perhaps, if he can hold the zombies off for long enough, the two teams of Slayers can work together to make good their escape and do some damage in the process. I doubt whether either side particularly wants a messy shoot-out when they're in danger already out there. Perhaps we can generate some goodwill between the rival bands.

After all, until the groups start working together, I think Tiersley is doomed to fall to the zombies and ghosts. We're not doing much good separately, for all the scalps we're collecting (or not, in the Warders' case).

Great chapter Lebby Very Happy
Author
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Stoat. Seems useless to engage the slayers when you're outnumbered, esp if they are fleeing zombies rather than targeting you.
Author
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's possible that they are running for ze undead, but then again they are just as likely to be Skulls who are pissed off that the Warders (or any other Slayer group) are 'hunting' in thier grounds, and as Lebby said, its all to easy (and common) for slayers to massacre one another outside the city walls. I agree that shooting isnt a good idea, but assuming that they would work together is probably going to be just as deadly. Guns hurt just as much as filthy zombie fingernails... Shocked

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Author
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we just have to alert the other Warders and wait. We don't want to star an attack if they are just fleeing from zombies.

We have to be prepared to whatever happen but I think that stoat have something right there. What if they are fleeing? We could help them, even when they only us our help this time and attack us later.
Author
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Chapter Lebby - and finally I have a moment to comment on it Smile

I admit that I didn't get the impression they approaching Slayers were fleeing, but that could be a possibility. The Bunny inside me hopes this is true because 15 on 7 won't turn out good. At the very least I see us losing whatever scalps they've managed to collect.

Breyen suggests going to warn them, and I think we're going to have to trust him.

Not a nice option though.

Happy Writing Very Happy
Author
Araex

Items

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Lebby said only a marksman could hit... isn't Mannings a marksman? I seem to remember Taggert infering that at some point. While on the Cpt, it's very interesting that the bounty hunter knows him - and more so that he is known to have fled to this city. I thought they were being secretive? Could they have been followed by rivals, or provosts looking to hang Mannings for deserting? I think that once the situation is over, we'll have to take that into consideration.

For now, however, we have to save our friends. There are two current possible situations:

1] The slayers have seen/heard the Warders and are pissed because they're encroaching on their turf, so are coming to kill them

or

2] They are fleeing zombies. However, the group is 15 men strong - how often would they be forced to flee? So either there is a massive swarm [which would probably have been seen] or this option is rubbish. I'm inclined to think the second.

However, we have no way of determining it either way, and in both cases we must warn the other Warders - we can't be sure that shouting would be heard by our team, whereas the slayers will hear it and know what's going on. To my mind, the best option is first to fire a shot into the air. It's legal, does no damage and will warn the Warders that something's up - at least, I don't recall anything about there being a lot of gunshots going off all around, so the crack would be pretty distinct.
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, the poll is up! It's huge, but we have a lot of suggestions and I don't want to miss anything. Here's a few things to consider in response to the questions:

Yes, there is time to organize a defense. The patrols in that area have been thickened, according to proceedure, in response to the action earlier that day, so you have a strong military presence already. All you would really need to do to get organized with these well trained soldiers is point and yell "ZOMBIES!" really loud. But a gentle suggestion would work too.

If the slayers are being chased, neither Manning or Breyen can see by what, but there are a lot of places and shadows to hide and not all threats are visible.

Yes, Araex, you read correctly. Manning is an excellent shot and feels confident that he could hit at least one slayer before they took cover. Due to the fact that it takes 20 seconds to reload (and that's with a lot of practice) they would have to be very disoriented to get a second shot.

ALSO, there is a second poll in the forum: Chapter 17 Secondary Poll. This one regards Breyen and how much you want to tell him about Taggert. It will stay open for a while since the next chapter doesn't require an answer, but it will become an issue soon.

Author
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is a damn tricky decision Confused
Author
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting votes... Shocked
Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you give us a warning before you end this poll Lebby, I'm still making my mind up, but I don't want to miss it.

Cheers.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
Now this is a d-word tricky decision Confused

Oooo... I got the d-word out of Smee!

All right, I'll guarantee votes through the 19th. After that it's a matter of how much time I have to work on the next chapter. Thank you for your careful consideration!

Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Lordy, if you're gonna vote, better do it soon. I'll be working on the next chapter soon.

Author
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the d-word ') and I tied it. Confused

Leave our new acquaintance to organise the guards if required, get down there and warn our warders.

Happy Writing Smile
Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found you had a tie, so I voted to break it for you Lebby. Went for the joining the Warders option, and now winning.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lordy. I was worried about a tie, especially with so many options!

Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Heroes Never Panic, Chap. 18 Reply with quote

Chapter 18 of “Heroes Never Panic”

The Warders are hard at work in the distance and Manning sees clearly that they have no idea the other slayers are coming. Even if he did move to a closer spot on the wall, they won’t have time to climb. There’s no time left.

“Drop the rope,” Manning says determinedly. “I’m going down.”

“You’re joking,” Breyen says. Manning shakes his head and steps over the edge with the rope in his hand.

“Thank you for your help,” Manning says as though saying goodbye, and wastes no more time. He doesn’t slide down as fast as the others, but he feels the friction heating up as he goes. And he drops the last few yards into the dry moat, its banks deep enough to hide him as he runs north to meet with his comrades. Then he leaps out and runs across the field. The Warders see him and draw their weapons, looking around for danger, but the other slayers have taken to the buildings and hide from sight.

“Sir, what’s wrong?” Bradshaw calls out.

“Slayers,” he says out of breath and pointing in their direction.

“How close are they?” another Warder asks.

“I’m surprised they’re not here… They were moving fast…. Fifteen of them,” Manning says in staggered breaths.

In the darkness of a nearby house, peering through a small crack, a Crossbones scout counts the eight Warders’. He smiles and sneaks away to tell the others.

“We’ll hide,” Bradshaw says. “Maybe they don’t know we’re here.”

“No. You run, I’ll hide,” Manning says. “I can’t keep up.”

“We don’t do things that way, sir.”

Manning is too out of breath to argue.

“Let’s just give them the scalps. It’s all they want,” Seager says.

“Take cover!” A warder yells, looking at the slayers moving in quickly. In another moment he’s dead on the ground with three bullets in him. Seager grabs his gun, followed by more shots. The Warders dive into the nearest house, the very same one they were in that morning. Manning blasts a slayer before following the rest in. They take positions in the windows and return fire, but by then, most of them have taken cover. Manning scans the scene quickly. He sees three of them moving in the house just across the street. It would only be a quick hop and a short sprint for them to be inside. Behind them, two more are keeping their distance, ready to fire from the corners of the two houses to the south. And three more have just made it upstairs in one of those houses. They fire at the Warders peeking out, but fortunately miss.

“No volleys!” Manning yells out to the others. “Stagger your shots so they can’t charge us!”

But the numbers are wrong. There should be twice this many, if not more. Manning keeps low and crosses the room, a bullet whizzes overhead as he goes. Occasional reprisals report, but as Manning suggested, they’re careful not to fire all at once. On the flank, Manning sees the rest of the slayers furtively circling around, cutting off retreat, and attempting to flank. Manning reloads and has a chance to catch his breath. When they attack, the Warders won’t stand a chance.

“Seven,” Manning says to himself, then loudly yells out, “Bradshaw!” Bradshaw hurries over. “They’re out there. They’re circling around to the back. I’m going to do something about it. I want you to watch those men on the second floor. As soon as they’re all reloading let me know.”

“You’re crazy, sir.”

“Funny, that’s what the hunter said. Just give me a signal. I can at least buy us some time.”

Bradshaw gets back into position and watches. Manning waits by the door, till Bradshaw’s hand chops the air in his direction. Then he throws open the door and makes a run for it. Another shot follows, but goes wide and Manning makes it into a side street.

He follows the slayers, moving slowly now to avoid attention. They’re spread out, moving in a line. Manning guesses their path and moves to intercept, keeping buildings between the line of sight as much as he can. They’ll be in position soon.

The shots have stopped, Manning notices. The slayers ahead of him nod to each other, and change course abruptly, heading straight for Manning. He quickly hides in a building. Hopefully they’ll put their backs to him soon and he’ll take one or two out before they know it. Then he’ll run. If they follow, the Warders have more time. If they don’t, he’ll be able to reload and try again.

“Parlay!” a Crossbone yells out to the Warders inside the house. “Parlay!” he yells again. The shots stop, leaving an eerie silence.

“What do you want?” Bradshaw yells out.

“Send someone out to talk, no weapons.”

“Not a chance! Say what you have to say right there!”

“We’re here for the scalps.”

“What scalps?”

“We heard what happened. We want the scalps.”

The Warders look at each other. They would gladly trade the scalps they collected to get out, though it would be another defeat, but the Crossbones have never been known for honor. It’s probably a trick to get someone outside so they can shoot him.

“Don’t do it!” Davison says urgently to Bradshaw. “They want us off their turf. They’ll kill us anyway!”

“What about the others?” Bradshaw yells out to the Crossbones. “We know they’re circling around us. How will they know about the deal?”

“We’ll tell them,” he says quickly. Bradshaw looks back, wondering what is happening with Manning.

In the shadow of the city as the sun dips down, the insides of these buildings are dark. Manning hides in a corner, rifle ready, when the back door creaks opens and he sees a long bayonet enter, followed by the rifle and the slayer carrying it. Manning breathes as slow as a dead man as he leans his rifle against the wall gently, and slides his sword from its sheath. The slayer pauses at the window a moment, Manning steps carefully as a cat behind him. The slayer reaches for the doorknob. Manning cups his hand over the slayer’s mouth, and slices his neck wide open. He chokes and drops to the ground as the blood drains from him. One of the slayers hears the drop. Manning ducks down, grabbing the slayer’s rifle and pulling back into the dark.

The next slayer kicks open the door and sees the slayer on the ground. Before he can yell, Manning thrusts the bayonet into his chest. The slayer fires, but misses. Manning pulls the bayonet out and quickly thrusts again, and for good measure, stabs once more. The shot alerts everyone, but they’re still in the open. Manning shoots another slayer before running back for his other rifle. Carrying the two he rushes out the opposite door, the other slayers in hot pursuit.

Manning dodges between the buildings and in a long alley, Manning aims and shoots the first slayer to enter. The slayer drops heavily to the ground and grinds to a halt, writhing in pain. Manning keeps running.

“Stop!” he hears one of the last slayers yell. Manning stops in a doorway, reloading with deliberate regularity to avoid dropping or screwing up and wasting more time. The yell wasn’t directed at him, but he’ll take all the time he can to rearm his weapon of choice. He gets both rifles pounded down solidly without seeing the pursuers. He waits patiently… till he decides they’re either going a different way, or they gave up. The latter seems most likely. Now he has the opportunity to snipe again, if it isn’t a trick.

Manning is emboldened by his success. Four of seven slayers are dead, and assuming none of the Warders have died, the numbers are now ten Crossbones to seven Warders. He backtracks, through the long alley. The slayer he shot has passed out from blood loss, his rifle lying undisturbed. He moves up suspiciously, but he sees no one. They didn’t even bother taking his gun. They must have been in a hurry. Maybe there was a signal he missed or something.

However, laying on the roof above him, the Crossbones scout waits for Manning to walk into the open before claiming his vengeance.

The shots cry out again. Manning’s fight was heard, and the slayers on both sides battle again. A Crossbone decides it’s time, and lights a grenade. He lets the fuse burn a moment, then throws it deftly inside. Seager runs over and kicks it away, but a moment too late. He absorbs most of the blast and the shrapnel, but chunks of metal cut into the backs of several Warders. The Crossbones rush the building, the last shots claiming a few lives before the swords clash against each. The Warders are trained soldiers, but the Crossbones are fierce warriors, veterans of many undead sieges and gang wars. There is no clear advantage.

Manning, confident that the slayers have joined the fight against the Warders, runs across the street toward the battle. The scout takes aim, pulls the trigger, and Manning has only the time between the pan igniting and the charge speeding the bullet toward him, to dodge. But it’s mostly luck that he ran a bit to the left instead of the right, and the shot strikes the wall in front of him. Manning looks back only a moment to see the wrath of the Crossbones scout. The venomous look on his face burns Manning’s memory, and somehow he believes he will see the scout again.

The other two slayers are ahead of him, too far to catch before they make it to the fight. Manning drops one of the rifles to help him speed up. The sky darkens quickly, and a noticeable change overcomes the land. Time is running out. The undead will be attracted to the fighting.

The two Crossbones reach the building, entering the door now. Manning takes aim, but they’re already in. He runs in behind them. Many bodies lie on the ground. He sees Bradshaw fending two Crossbones off, standing over a wounded man. Manning fires into the back of one, and throws the bayoneted rifle like a spear into the other. He draws his sword, but the fight is over.

“How many?” Manning says. The wounded man below him passes away as they speak. Bradshaw looks around. The Crossbones are all dead, but there is only Bradshaw and one other Warder alive. Davison is amongst the dead.

“We need to leave,” is all Bradshaw can say. They leave the scalps, though it is what they came for, the weapons are far more valuable, and there are many.

Breyen waits on the wall. He moved to the nearest point, though the patrols were thick. When the slayers come and the soldiers start asking if they’re allowed in, he interrupts.

“These men are with me. They’re investigating the threat to Tiersley and I have General Realta’s assurances that I will be treated with full cooperation. So if you have a problem with this, you can take it up with him.”

They back down. The haul up a load of weapons first, then head back to the building quickly to grab more. When they enter, a Crossbones slayer is waiting for them. CLICK! The gun doesn’t go off. He tries again, CLICK! Nothing. There is no powder in the gun, or bullet. The slayer stands before them stupidly, and tries to fire again. The blood from his abdomen is everywhere, more blood than a human can lose and stay alive. Soon the other bodies start moving… animating. CLICK! The zombie tries again, not understanding why it’s not working. The Warders run back, before they have a proper chance to awaken. They’re pulled up the ropes quickly and they look back. The zombie still carries the gun in his hand, but he does not approach. The soldiers all wait for them to come a little closer before firing, and the cannons on the nearby towers, turn to face them.

Before any shots are fired, the zombies turn and leave.

“Welcome back,” Breyen says to Manning.

“I have something to tell you,” Manning says sadly. “Taggert is dead.”

“… May I see his body?” he says emotionlessly. Manning nods. Breyen earned at least enough trust to show him the truth about Taggert. Whether or not to tell him anything more is yet to be seen. The Warders return to their abode with a guest. No announcement is made, because it is very clear by the faces of those who returned that no one else survived. Breyen and Manning look upon Captain John Taggert’s body. Breyen seems to hold all of his emotion in. Manning lets the death become real, for he must face the reality of death. The reality that more will die and eventually, perhaps soon, he will die too.

“How did he die?” Breyen asks. Manning tells him about the duel, and the escape of Stanimir.

And deep in the city, a creature has lost its humanity. Surrounded by death, it has grown even larger than in life, with the muscle beneath bulging till it splits the skin. And the dark forces that surround the city, ignoring walls and bullets, flows through him. It is not yet done imbuing him with its strength. The remnants of Stanimir courses with the pain of thousands of deaths, and a tormented scream is heard across all of Tiersley, a portent of a doomed fate.

Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice chapter - found out more about the relative tensions between the hunters.

Is there a decision point though?

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic chapter again Lebby Shocked

Well, if there is a decision point, I guess it would be a similar one to before. How much do we trust this hunter?

Given his reactions to us so far, I think we have to try him with the truth. We have precious few allies and he seems a powerful one. Perhaps he can give us more of an overview of what goes in the City and how we can best combat it?

I'd say tell him what he needs to know - but ask him lots as well Smile
Author
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice chapter.

I think like shady...
Author
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I greatly enjoyed the chapter, but in a way, I wish you had stopped just a bit earlier to give a decision point during the action... at this point... I just don't really see what to decide.... but I can say that it seems that Manning is pretty much done being a captain already... not much of a crew left. Seems the Crossbones were pretty decimated as well and now their lives works have been in vain as their bodies now become the enemy... why couldn't they have come to some agreement... these people are insane! When the earth is being overrun by undead is not a time to be greedy!

I think Manning should trust in fate and try to find out what this stranger can do for the city, assuming it is soon to be overrun. He should offer his services to that end.
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every moment is an opportunity for change, but I did not set up the last chapter with a decision point. That is because I'm leaving for the summer, living in a tent for 2 months or more and I will have no access to the internet. My thanks to everyone who has been following the story, but it will have to rest until I get back to civilization next fall. Sorry we didn't get farther, but I ran out of time. When I start up again, I'll write another chapter to get us warmed up again and I'll have a better situation ready for discussion and voting.

I will miss you guys Smile See you in August!

Author
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will miss you... and your story too.
Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. A tent for two months with no internet access! I think I would shrivel up and fall over!

Anyway, have fun Lebs, we will be waiting for you!

*Settles in for the long haul*
Author
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your friendly 'nemesis' bids you adieu. I think thats how you spell it... anyhow... enjoy yer tent... it actually sounds fun! I'd love to go camping all summer! I'd miss IF tho... Will be happy to have ya back afterwards!
Author
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not good enough for you are we then? Fine - be that way.

*Sulks*

Try not to fall off a cliff or something - it would be a shame if the story didn't finish.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Author
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordofthenight wrote:
Try not to fall off a cliff or something - it would be a shame if the story didn't finish.

Yeah, be carefull... Wink
Author
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvelous chapter Lebby, though its a shame there won't be another for such a long time. I might actually have to take a breath before you get back, but no one will see, so no one can say that I did! Muwahahahaah! Wink

*holds breath - warily* Shocked

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Author
Araex

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sneaky lump of soil... how does it breath actually? He's been fooling us all this time with feats of breath holding!

Nehu... fun chapter, and see you Lebs!
Author
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Lebby, can't wait for a new Chapter Very Happy

Happy Writing Smile
Author
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo! Lebby-ness!! Looking forward to your return mate! Hope you had a good time doing whatever you were doing. I'm sure you told us. But you know... duh... Razz

*holds breath* Shocked

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, responses and I haven't even posted yet! It's great to be back. The travails I went through to get back into the swing of things were rather time consuming but I triumphed and I'm ready to post the next chapter. ... as soon as I find that cable thingy that goes into the thingamawhatchit so I can transfer it over.... Just a second....

Author
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There! Part Four has begun.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       Storygames Home -> Heroes Never Panic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: