Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Assassin - Chapter 3!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

(currently a favorite of )
   Storygames Home -> -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Assassin - Chapter 3! Reply with quote

Assassin: Prologue

Gerrard paused for a moment. He looked down at the farmhouse where he was heading, and then at the brown bag in his hand. He opened it up to check that the contents were still there; they were. A bag full of gold coins; enough to feed a large family for a year.

Gerrard continued walking down the hill with increased vigour, the money rattling alongside him. The sound became annoying, so he stored within the folds of his cloak. For a moment he wondered why he was giving away so much money, but then it occurred to him: to leave a good impression on the boy. How old would he be now? One perhaps, or maybe two.

Leave him for about fifteen years, then lets see what kind of man he’ll turn into. Gerrard smiled. He needed a backup if his other sons failed. And what a perfect backup this boy would be! No one would expect a farm boy with a name like Jesse to be my true heir!

He stopped smiling as he scratched his arm. He glanced down at his clothes with displeasure; rough, course, farmers clothes. He usually wore garments of the purest silk or finest velvet, not sackcloth, but today harsh measures were needed to hide his true identity. Even his horse had been replaced by a slow, grey nag who was now tethered in the middle of the forest.

Gerrard slowed his pace as he came to the gate, and stopped altogether as he arrived at the door of the farmhouse.

Ok, lets keep this short and simple. You give them the money and you leave. Nothing could be more straightforward. Gerrard raised his fist to knock on the door. A few minutes passed before the door was opened by a middle-aged man who looked careworn, yet not unkind; a man who Gerrard recognized straight away as Isaac. He raised his eyebrows at Gerrard, as if to question why a poor peasant would be standing on his doorstep.

“Greetings,” Gerrard began, aware of the suspicious looks he was receiving. “You may remember me. My name is Gerrard. I was Lilia’s husband, and therefore am Jesse’s father.”

A flash of recognition crossed Isaac’s face, before he exclaimed. “Gerrard… can it really be you? The last I heard, you were dead! Oh well, never mind… be quick man, what is it you want with me?”

“I come to ask, is my son alive and well?”

Gerrard looked momentarily confused, then angered. “Of course he is! You don’t think I would let Lilia’s child starve… but where are my manners? Would you like to see young Jesse? He has grown a lot since you last saw him!”

“I’m sure he has.”

“Almost 18 months now, and as healthy as can be! Caught the flu last winter; thought it would be the end of him, but no! He’s a real fighter, y’know.”

Gerrard glanced up at the sky; the clouds were rolling in.
I had better give him the money and leave - the sooner the better. Don’t want to get stuck in the rain, or to get stuck here with him.

Isaac’s voice disturbed him from his thoughts.
“So Gerrard, how have you been these past months?”

Gerrard didn’t feel in the mood for socializing, so he replied: “Fine.” Isaac seemed taken aback by his lack of conversation, so posed another question: “And how has the farm been going?”

Farm? Gerrard paused for a moment. Of course! My farm. He smiled as he remembered how he had fooled half the village into thinking he was a wealthy farmer, and not the scheming aristocrat he really was. I had better play along.

“Ah yes, ‘twas quite dry in the summer, but nothing too serious” lied Gerrard, watching Isaac’s face as he took it all in. The fool! “Decent amount of crops… pretty normal year to be honest.”

Isaac nodded. “And will you be staying here tonight? We have space in the attic.”

Gerrard laughed. “Wish I could,” he lied again, “but I have to get back quickly.”

Now for the big moment. From within his cloak Gerrard produced the bag of money. He weighed it in his hands, then passed it to Isaac, who looked at its contents and gasped.

“Gerrard… but what it this for?”

Gerrard smiled; he may have been a liar and a crook, but there was still goodwill in his heart. “It is for you, Isaac. You agreed to look after my son, and this is the least I can do to repay you. This money should help you look after my Jesse for a while - any money left is for you to use as you want.”

Isaac looked stunned. “But there is enough money in this bag to feed a whole family for at least a year! You can’t expect me to take it…”

His voice broke off as Gerrard raised his hand in a gesture of farewell. “Goodbye, Isaac. I shall return at this time next year; more money shall be your prize”

Before Isaac could even mutter a word of thanks, Gerrard was gone.

Gerrard stopped by the road and dismounted his horse to get his bearings. It had been well over two hours since he had given the money to Isaac, and almost an hour since the rain had begun to fall, bringing the fog with it. After he had left the farm, he had gone straight to the village graveyard, partly because it was duty to visit his dead wife, and partly because Lilia had been one of the only people that he had ever loved. Not that love was an emotion he regularly used. Not even his son Jesse got any fatherly love from Gerrard. But then again, why should he? He isn’t very special.

After a few more glances at his surroundings, Gerrard realized he was lost, and left the horse to do the hard work of navigating their route home. A few travelling farmers greeted him with mock salutes, but Gerrard barely noticed. He was thinking of his sons, all six of them. Amongst them, Jesse was not important; he was the youngest of them all, yet… he was different. His wife had seen it, and he presumed that was why she had run away, but what was it? He struggled over the question for a moment, but when no answer came, he left it for another day. He began to think of his other sons, and how they would grow up to be strong and brave. A flash of guilt stabbed at his heart as he remembered the baby girl - his baby girl - who he had tried to drown, and who at the age of twelve had run away to join the Havenlands. He regretted that, for he knew that anyone with his blood would make a powerful enemy. He smiled. He would enjoy watching her die.

He smiled again as he recognized his surroundings; closer to home than he had previously thought. He kicked the horse to make it travel faster, and together they disappeared into the fog.

ok, thanks for reading. Smile
I'll try to get chapter 1 out asap
feel free to post!
Cool

Last edited by joyfull22 on Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Author
BStheGreat
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Assassin: Prologue Reply with quote

joyfull22 wrote:
Assassin: Prologue
He opened it up to check that the contents were still there; they were. A bag full of gold coins; enough to feed a large family for a year.

Gerrard continued walking down the hill with increased vigor, the money rattling alongside him. The sound became annoying, so he stored within the folds of his cloak. For a moment he wondered why he was giving away so much money, but then it occurred to him; to leave a good impression on the boy.
Leave him for about fifteen years, then lets see what kind of man he’ll turn into. Gerrard smiled. He needed a backup in case his other sons failed.

rough, course, farmer's clothes.

Isaac looked momentarily confused, then angered.

[/color]

These are a few of the mistakes I found. Also, I would suggest putting in _______ thought or something along those lines instead of using italics, it can get confusing if you don't say who is thinking what.
Author
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a storygame? cause there's no dp.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Author
BStheGreat
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterweaver wrote:
Is this a storygame? cause there's no dp.

There doesn't necessarily have to be a decision point on every post/chapter. That was just a prologue anyways.
Author
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joy! Wink

Great Prologue - it really sets this Sg up. Very Happy
Gerard seems to have a very interesting past - I would like to hear more of this. And Jesse also - what did Gerards wife see in him?
I'm not sure I would like to be an offspring of Gerard though.
He tried to drown his daughter !! Shocked

lol, looking forward to the next chapter,

~Solus Wink

chapter 6 of DESTINY - a super old SG which won't continue...but there are a full 6 chapters if you feel like reading something with no ending!
Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure I would like to be an offspring of Gerard though.
He tried to drown his daughter !!

ya well, ages ago if rich guys firstborn was a girl they would drown them because they thought boys were better.

Quote:
Gerard seems to have a very interesting past - I would like to hear more of this. And Jesse also - what did Gerards wife see in him?

haha, u'll have 2 wait for da nxt chapter!
Author
JezSharp
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really enjoyed this prologue Joy, there's a lot of interesting points/room for development and its well written. Looking forward to the next Chapter.
Author
Darra

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good prologue. You have a nice way of affecting the descriptions so that they match the character. The story itself feels jerky, quick, and a little twisted - much like Gerrard seems to be in his thoughts.

I look forward to a little more background information in the future to help tie everything together.
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed I am enamored of assassin stories and this one has caught my attention. Keep up the good work.

"Music makes you braver."
Author
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like any living thread.

Keep up the good work, Joyfull!
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Author

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny havn't i replied. odd. O wel good story. *waiting casaully for next chappy* Very Happy As they say the stories get better and better in time. Very Happy
Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Assassin - Chapter 1! Reply with quote

thanx to everyone who put comments on da prologue, hope u enjoy da chapter

Chapter 1 - Hunting for memories

Jesse stood at the brow of the hill and surveyed the forest beneath him with a practised eye. Behind him lay the sleepy village of Heathdale, and beyond that, the treacherous mountain range, untamed ad unexplored. Not even the bravest men would hunt there, for the tales and myths about dangerous beasts were enough to scare away anyone foolish enough to even consider taking the risk.

Jesse took one last look at the ocean of emerald trees before descending down the hill. He winced as he slipped on some pebbles and fell backwards, scraping his arm on a rock. Normally he didn’t come this way at all. He would take the familiar and well trodden path further down the hill, and in doing so, avoiding the rough and dangerous animal tracks, but this year many crops had failed and more drastic actions were needed; he had his family to feed.

But he thought they’re not really my family are they?

An expression of sorrow flicked across his face.
No. They’re not.

Everyone in Heathdale knew Jesse’s story, the story of how his mother had gone against tradition and married a man, Gerrard, without her parents blessing. The story of how she had returned ten years later, with baby Jesse in her arms, begging forgiveness, but it was too late; she died the next morning. Jesse was given to some distant relative, a man named Isaac, his wife and three children, who looked after him and brought him up on a farm. He had led an uneventful life until…

Jesse paused for a moment overcome by emotions. This was always the hardest part of the memory for him. It had been almost a year since that day, but the emotional scars still stood strong. At first he hadn’t allowed himself to dwell in the past, or to live in his imagination, but gradually he had begun to realize that it was the only way to escape the present; a present filled with accusing stares and harsh realties. He had become a bit of a recluse, an outcast; some would even go so far as to say he was a hermit, even the son of the devil himself. Or a son of the devil, as he would remind himself.

Who knows how many brothers and maybe even sisters I’ve got. I wonder if they have seen the true horror of who my… our father really is?

What worried Jesse was why it troubled him so much. He had always been slightly emotional, and perhaps even a bit moody and over keen, but that was no reason. Other people would have moved on in their lives, and left the past behind them. Left the past where it belongs.

Jesse sighed and let himself be dragged back into his memories.

Gerrard, being Jesse’s father, had arrived in Heathdale with his annual donations at the time of Wintertide, in the height of the celebrations. Most of the men had gathered in the tavern for a drink, and many of the boys had turned up as well. A couple of traveling nomads who spent the summer months hiding up in the mountains were also in the village, and were invited to join in the celebrations. They turned what was an evening of merriment into a disaster - it all started with a fight.

Within moments, many of the villagers had begun to fight back. One of those involved was Anthony, who at the age of 23 was the eldest son of one of the wealthiest farmers in the area. As it happened, he was pushed backwards into Gerrard, who, until this point had taken no part in the chaos. Gerrard stood up and shoved Anthony in return, pushing him into the wall, adding to the confusion. Anthony had regained his balance, and his hand had hovered over his sword hilt, as if to consider taking the risk; he did. Within moments both men were fighting, the sound of ringing metal echoing through the house. Gradually, peoples attention was drawn away from their own brawls and to this event.

From the beginning it was obvious that Anthony had been outclassed; Gerrard was just too good for him. After a while, tiredness was beginning to show, and Anthony’s wounds were just too deep. However, at the last moment, fate intervened, and Gerrard slipped back on some spilt beer, his sword falling from his grip and landing at the feet of Jesse, who, amongst half the village, had been watching the fight from the side. Anthony had taken this opportunity to lunge at Gerrard, but he also slipped, landing on a large wooden table, winded and defenceless. At this point Gerrard had looked up at his son and said “Kill him. Kill him boy.”

Jesse had looked down at his father, then at the sword, and finally at Anthony.

“Kill him boy. Kill him for your old man.” Gerrard’s words were slurred as he spoke, yet here was something about his voice made it clear that it was not the drink that was making him say such things.

Revulsion filled Jesse as he stepped backwards, removing any possibility that he would obey his father’s orders. There was a murmer of approval amongst some villagers, and even a smile from to the town healer as she stepped out of the crowd to remove Anthony’s bloodied body from the scene, but she was too slow, for by this time Gerrard had regained stature and picked his sword up from the floor. He had laughed as Anthony weakly kicked out with his foot, and then laughed even louder as he cried “If no-one else wants to remove this man, I shall have to do it myself.”

At this point Anthony had reached over to collect his sword and begun wildly waving it at Gerrard as one final attempt of self-defence; within moments it had been knocked back to the ground. Gerrard raised his sword high for the final blow, his face face almost unrecognisable by the snarl that disfigured it. Jesse started walking backwards through the crowd, eager to get away from the tavern and the atrocity about to take place, but it was too late; Gerrard’s sword had already come down, piercing Anthony through the heart. A few women screamed and some children started crying; most noticeable was Anthony’s youngest brother, Mitch, who had tears streaming down his face. Appalled, Jesse had turned round to leave.

Outside, Jesse had leant his head against the walls of the tavern, gratefull for the refreshing wind that brushed against his face. He tried to take in what he had just seen; his father kill… no murder an innocent man. It didn’t seem real, yet it was. Jesse shivered, although he wasn’t cold, and a short blast of warm air escaped the tavern as a few locals begun to leave and go home. Many of them stared at Jesse accusingly as if it were him and not his father that had committed the crime; one even called out “Killer boy.” as he passed.

A while later, Gerrard staggered out.

“Boy,” he growled menacingly as his gaze fell upon Jesse, “you disobeyed me.”

“Sorry father, but I couldn’t kill him.”

Gerrard had ignored him and caried on. “Why didn’t you fight, boy? Not even for your old man, eh? You should’ve fought back, boy. You should’ve killed him.” his words were slurred, and as he leant forwards, there was a hint of beer in his breath. “You’re a disgrace boy, a disgrace - you don’t deserve to be my son, to take my name.” he leant even further forwards, a glint of madness in his eyes, “none of your other brothers would have done that, boy.”

With that he was gone, leaving Jesse standing on his own, in the dark.

What does he mean? I have brothers?

From that day forth, Jesse had changed.

Jesse paused for a moment to get his bearings. Not that he needed them; he knew the woods well. He soon resumed walking, only this time faster; he would need to bag a deer if he was to get fed the next few days.

He soon let his mind wander. I wonder… was my father telling the truth that night? Do I really have any brothers? If so, why hasn’t Isaac told me, or doesn’t he know? he paused as the big question suddenly hit him. Who is my father anyway?

Voices up ahead woke Jesse from his daydreams. He realized that he had strayed from the main path and was now following an animal track which led to a small glade surrounded by bushes and the sort. The voices seemed close, so he slowly crept forward, surprised that anyone apart from himself would be hunting in this part of the forest; obviously other families had to turn to drastic actions as well. He crouched down low to avoid a branch, then crouched even lower to duck behind a bush on the outskirts of a glade. I don’t know who they are, so I suppose it’s best to take precautions… Within moments two people came into view; he recognised them as Shaun and Mitch, the brothers of Anthony, the man killed by Gerrard.

Whatever you do don’t do anything stupid - they probably still hold a grudge against you after what your father did to their brother.

Jesse paused for a moment, and so did they, standing in the middle of the glade, as if waiting for someone. As if to confirm Jesse’s predictions, Mitch’s voice rang out: “Shaun, when is father going to get here?”

Shaun glared at his brother. “Stop asking me!” he growled, “I told you, I don’t know.”

Both Jesse and Mitch were taken aback by the harsh note in Shaun’s voice. Leave him alone Shaun, he’s just a kid. Jesse paused; how old was Mitch anyway? Nine? Ten? Eleven at the most. Certainly not old enough to come hunting this far into the woods. Jesse’s thoughts were once again disrupted by Shaun; this time he had removed a sword from it’s sheath and was methodically running a whetstone over it’s edge. The noise was both infuriating and irritating, and Jesse had to wonder why he even had a sword in the first place. But then again, why do I have a sword?

After a while, Jesse became increasingly uncomfortable crouching in the undergrowth, so he slowly moved to the left and rose on one knee. As he did so he became increasingly aware of a figure hidden in the shadows on the other side of the glade. For a moment he had every intention of leaping up to discover the identity of this stranger, but then it occurred to him that neither Shaun nor Mitch were aware of his presence there; revealing himself to them could be a costly mistake.

Instead, he chose to lean forward to try to make out any details. It was a man… a man in a dark cloak… a man holding a bow, with an arrow notched into place…

A man aiming an arrow at Mitch.

Jesse watched with horror as this stranger pulled the arrow back and let it loose. The arrow sprung into the air and as if in slow motion, curved in a perfect arc and landed on Mitch, piercing his clothes in the chest and injuring him.

I may not be friends with Mitch’s family, but I will not stand for one of them being killed.

Jesse skirted the edges glade to the place where the assassin had been standing. He arrived in time to see the edge of the strangers cloak whip round the edge of a tree, and disappear into the darkness. Jesse pulled his bow from his quiver and leapt after him, but was caught in midair by a hand grasping his shoulder. Jesse struggled to be let loose, then resigned himself to his fate and turned round. Leering at him was Shaun.

“Murderer”

Jesse’s heart sank. He’ll never believe me, even if I tell him about the assassin. He hates me because of what my father did to his brother.

“Murderer!” he shrieked again, this time his voice echoing through the valley. “Murderer!”

Jesse grimaced and waited for the yelling to cease. For a moment there was silence, then Shaun’s voice, this time shaken and upset.

“You killed my brother…”

“No, Shaun, let me explain, it wasn’t me, it was… there was an assassin… standing here… not me… it was him…”

Shaun laughed brutally. “And you expect me to believe that, you liar! You were holding the bow. You are the assassin!” Shaun leaned closer. “You killed my brother, so I’ll kill you!”

His laugh of power turned to that of a madman and he threw himself on Jesse, punching and kicking, swearing and cursing. Shaun clouted Jesse on the head with his fist, then slapped his cheek and punched his jaw. Jesse could taste blood, and raised his arm to retaliate, only to have his hand brushed away and find another punch aimed at him. At the last moment, Jesse rolled away and stood up, watching Shaun’s hand plummet to the ground where Jesse had been lying a moment ago. Jesse lashed out with his fist, catching Shaun unaware, then kicked him powerfully in the stomach.

Jesse stood up, panting. Well Dad, are you proud of me now? I fought back…

Pity grew inside him as he watched Shaun lie on the ground, winded. Jesse leant over and extended his hand to pull Shaun to his feet, feeling truly sorry for him. Shaun stared at the hand before yelling “Don’t touch me, you murderer.“

Shaun rose to his feet, unaided, and drew his sword. The sunlight glinted off the metal as he swirled it in a circle. “Come and fight me, you two faced coward! Come and get what you deserve, Jesse son of no-one. Killing must run in the family!”

Jesse glanced down at his own sword, sheathed, and buckled onto his belt.

Do I dare? I could kill him with my bow and arrow, but a sword? He’s one of the fastest swordsmen in the village! But my father killed his brother, so maybe killing does run in our blood…

Jesse glanced at Shaun, who’s mouth was open in a soundless snarl, then at Mitch, who was lying on the ground behind him.

If I kill Shaun, would I have to kill Mitch as well? The idea sickened him. Jesse remembered the mysterious assassin, and felt curious about his identity. He fingered the hilt of his sword, running his finger around the curious engravings he didn’t even realize were there, all the while thinking.

What now?

ok, now its up to you - what happens next
thanx 4 reading, feel free to post

Very Happy
Author

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. can't wait for the next chap. So jesse has to disarm the guy i think, not snap his arms off but take the sword away then convinse.

Or convince and then both can figure out about the assasin, since the guy is the greatst sword handler.Smile
Author
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The assassin, if half as good as he/she seems, is long gone by now. I say take to your heels in the woods since the arrows from his bow shouldn't match the arrow found in the body...and did Jesse leave tracks showing where he'd crouched then moved?

"Music makes you braver."
Author

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Rai. That's one thing to convince someoen fully. But the assasin as he/she is good, then there might just be no tracks. But i still second youre answer. Smile
Author
JezSharp
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unlikely that he'd be able to convince Shaun anyway, he's too over emotional. He could do one of serveral things:

1) Kill Shaun
2) Injure Shaun so he can no longer fight
3) Walk away

I'd do 3 at this point given how good Shaun is with the sword, perhaps try and investigate why Mitch was wanted dead etc.

Being ruthless though perhaps he should kill Shaun & Mitch to hide the fact that he was there at all...however this might not work and he'd be as bad as the assasin anyhow.

Really good Chapter Joy and a good DP Wink .
Author
SerriaFox

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Assassin - Chapter 1! Reply with quote

joyfull22 wrote:
thanx to everyone who put comments on da prologue, hope u enjoy da chapter

Chapter 1 - Hunting for memories

Jesse stood at the brow of the hill and surveyed the forest beneath him with a practised eye.

J some would even go so far as to say he was a hermit, even the son of the devil himself. Or a son of the devil, as he would remind himself.

Who knows how many brothers and maybe even sisters I’ve got. I wonder if they have seen the true horror of who my… our father really is?

Gerrard, being Jesse’s father, had arrived in Heathdale with his annual donations at the time of Wintertide, in the height of the celebrations. Most of the men had gathered in the tavern for a drink, and many of the boys had turned up as well. A couple of traveling nomads who spent the summer months hiding up in the mountains were also in the village, and were invited to join in the celebrations. They turned what was an evening of merriment into a disaster - it all started with a fight.

Gradually, peoples attention was drawn away from their own brawls and to this event.

Anthony had taken this opportunity to lunge at Gerrard, but he also slipped, landing on a large wooden table, winded and defenceless.

At this point Anthony had reached over to collect his sword and begun wildly waving it at Gerrard as one final attempt of self-defence; within moments it had been knocked back to the ground. Gerrard raised his sword high for the final blow, his face face almost unrecognisable by the snarl that disfigured it.

Outside, Jesse had leant his head against the walls of the tavern, gratefull for the refreshing wind that brushed against his face.

Gerrard had ignored him and caried on. "

Do I really have any brothers? If so, why hasn’t Isaac told me, or doesn’t he know? he paused as the big question suddenly hit him. Who is my father anyway?

Jesse’s thoughts were once again disrupted by Shaun; this time he had removed a sword from it’s sheath and was methodically running a whetstone over it’s edge.

Very Happy

Overall a good plot. I highlighted some of the grammer and spelling mistakes. However when I read this some of it did not seem to flow to me.

Where to go from here? Well I think I hear a lynch mob forming. He needs to dump the father and kid and get to his place fast. Maybe send a runner, from his family, to get medical attention, then he need to get out of town quick. I don't think there is a chance in he## of him convincing anyone of his innocence
Author
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote allow to be bound do he can explain to shaun from a safe distance (for shaun)
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with Jez - Shaun is a bit wild & out-of-contol, and trying to negotiate might be a bit pointless, but then again, there might not be any harm in trying

about Jesse leaving tracks, i doubt it. i didn't imagine that it would be particularly wet

thanx 4 da suggestions - keep up da good work!
Author

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's moslty what we can think of. or could knock out the overemotional guy, his a good swords man but not a good devender maybe. That is all taht can be thunken up. Very Happy
Author
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, right now I think he should just walk away. I'm not sure how practiced with the sword he is, and whether he would have the courage to fight to kill/hurt. Even if Shaun has that intention - at least he has an excuse.

Great chapter, well written, just look out for spelling mistakes Wink

Looking forward to the next one,

Solus

chapter 6 of DESTINY - a super old SG which won't continue...but there are a full 6 chapters if you feel like reading something with no ending!
Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok people the poll is now on
well actually its been here for a while but since there hasn't been much of a response, i'll probably leave it for a week or so, or until i get a few more votes
Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnx for all the posts and votes on chapter 1
here is chapter 2 - enjoy!

Chapter 2

Jesse’s mind raced. He really means to kill me.

Shaun took one step forward, then another, until he was within fighting range.

“No! I’m innocent!”

Despite Jesse’s protests, Shaun still lumbered forwards, fire blazing in his eyes, his sword raised high…

Oh no.

Shaun swung the sword round in an arc, his face disfigured by a madman’s snarl. Jesse watched, almost in slow motion, as the sword slicing through the air towards him, shining in the fading light. Almost instinctively, Jesse raised his sword in an act of defence. The swords met with a dull clang and a shower of sparks. Jesse gasped and felt his arms tremble as he held on. Both swords remained in the air as neither of them refused to give. He’s too strong … He’ll kill me.

As one last act, Jesse raised his head and looked into his eyes. “It wasn’t me.”

It worked. Shaun had hesitated, and Jesse found some hidden strength and used it to batter Shaun’s sword out of the way. Shaun looked up, uncertain.

“What do you mean, it wasn’t you? You’re the only who could have killed him.”

Jesse walked over to where Mitch lay dying on the ground, and removed the arrow. He brought it back to Shaun, along with an arrow from his own quiver. “See that? That arrow isn’t mine.”

Shaun looked shaken. “Who was it then?” even though he was whispering, Jesse could detect the anger in his voice.

Jesse shrugged. “Some mystery assassin.”

For a moment Shaun was quiet, but then he raised himself up to his full height. “Lets find that assassin.” He crossed the glade to where his sword lay and sheathed it before picking up his bag and walking away into the forest. Talk about unsocial! Jesse glanced at Mitch, who was still lying on the ground, blood seeping from his chest. Alarmed, Jesse called after Shaun.

“Wait, what about Mitch? I think he’s still alive”

Shaun paused, then walking back to where Mitch lay, he drew his sword and stabbed twice through the heart Mitch before slicing his head off. Disgusted, Jesse turned on Shaun.

“What did you do that for? He was your own brother! We could have taken him back to the village, or saved him, or at lest helped him!”

Shaun turned to face Jesse and shrugged, before simply saying “I never liked him much anyway”

Many miles away, an elf strode into a courtyard. She was old, even by the elves standards, with long grey hair and wrinkles skin. Wherever she went she brought with her an aura of power. Some said it was magic, for it was common knowledge that she had the sight, an elvish art that enabled users to see into the future. Or that she had had the sight, for it was also common knowledge that as she grew older, her powers were dwindling. Rumour had it that she was dying.

The elf continued her journey, walking through not the great hall, as most people would have done, but taking the route through the private corridors. The guards acknowledged her presence amongst them with nods, and even the odd bow from the more polite ones, but the elf barely noticed; she was on a mission.
She took another short cut through the servants alley before arriving in front of some doors. Some more guards opened them and entered the throne room.

“My Lady Isabel”

Lady Isabel looked up, surprised.

“Eldreda! How… nice of you to pay us a visit… most unexpected.”

This time it was Eldreda’s turn to look surprised. “You mean your private Seer did not foretell of my coming?” She frowned. “I can see no reason for her not to see me… but these are dangerous times…”

Lady Isobel laughed. “Dangerous times indeed. Only yesterday the empire launched another attack on our spy network. Killed three of our generals and infiltrated another. We are expecting them to attack Southaven, since it is the least well protected. But speak, why do you come here?”

Eldreda looked up and spoke, her voice barely audible. “I bring grave news.”

Lady Isobel laughed again. “That’s what you said last time, and what was it you wanted to tell me? That the barbarians from the north had stolen one sheep! Hardly grave news at all.”

Eldreda looked embarrassed. “Last time I was mistaken…”
“And the time before that, and the time before that… really Eldreda, maybe you should retire, since your prophecies seem to be getting less and less accurate.”

Fire blazed in Eldreda’s eyes as she pointed a finger at Lady Isobel and spoke, her voice quivering. “Do not mock me. You are still young, still foolish. Yes, perhaps I am loosing it. Perhaps I have been ignorant in my old age. But I still have one more prophecy to make, one that might change it all. Someone in coming. He is still a boy, yet he is dangerous… so powerful, yet so young. Old blood runs thick in his veins… strong blood. He has power, but of what type I cannot confirm. He cannot be allowed to stray over to the Empire. But he will not come alone… with him will come another, one of no importance whatsoever.”

She ended her speech with a dramatic flourish of her hand, breathing heavily. Lady Isobel leant forward, mystified. “Eldreda, do you know his name? His age? Anything that might help us identify him?”

Eldreda nodded her head. “His age… 14? Perhaps 15? No older than 16 - he is still a boy. I know his father… but I can’t identify him for you. His mother is dead - I saw the gravestone in my prophecy. Her name was Lilia, came from Heathdale. The boy is not to tall, nor too short… brown hair. As for his name… I can’t help you on that.”

Lady Isobel broke the silence that had followed. “Do you know where he will come from?”

“He will take a path through the mountains. Since there are many, I cannot specify which one.”

Lady Isobel smiled, pleased. “Then I will post elfish archers in the mountains to the east and south… Is that all Eldreda?”

“Yes.”

“Then you may be excused from my presence. I hope to hear from you soon. As one last thing, is there anything you would like me to do for you? Are you comfortable in your cave, or would you like to reside here in the palace?”

Eldreda paused for a moment. “I am happy in my cave, but I tell you something you do need - a new seer. Your old one has grown fat and lazy.”

With that, the elf strode out of the throne room, out of the palace, and back to the mountain where she felt most at home.

They found the body just before the night fell. They had left the glade early in the afternoon, and had followed an overgrown animal track for a few hours, with only a few footprints in the soft mud to suggest they were on the right track. Finally the track had ended on an outcrop of rock before plummeting thirty feet down to a rocky plain beneath. Together, Jesse and Shaun and backtracked until they found a safe route to the plain.

The body was lying in clear view, groaning and twitching with pain. On a closer inspection, it became clearer that he had fallen off the outcrop and impaled himself on a sharp pointed rock.

Although the majority of the anger Jesse had felt at Mitch’s death had gone, he still felt annoyed so pulling Shaun over to one side he whispered “Let me go first. I don’t want you to do anything stupid.”

Shaun glared at him. “Ok, but afterwards I get to kill him.”
Jesse was taken aback by Shaun’s brutality. It’s almost as if he enjoys killing people. He sighed, aware that an argument with Shaun would not be the most favourable thing to choose. “Ok, you get to kill him.”

Jesse turned away, but not before he saw a wild look in Shaun’s eyes that sent a shiver down his spine. He really means it.

A few minutes later, Jesse was crouching by the assassin’s side. He had fallen face down, so it took Jesse a few minutes to turn him around without getting blood on his hands. Once it was done, Jesse leant forward to take a look at the assassin’s face. The first thing that struck him was how young he was. 17? 18 at the most, with a round and innocent-looking boyish face. Sickened, Jesse stepped back. How could anyone make someone this age kill? Slowly, and with trembling hands, Jesse took him by the shoulders and shook him. When nothing happened, he removed his own water skin and splashed water onto the assassin’s face. “Wake up.” he whispered, although deep down he knew that he probably never would. “Wake up!”

It seemed that his words had some effect, for the assassin’s eyes had begun to open. Slowly at first, and then suddenly his eyes were staring into the distance. He begun to shake and gasp for air, until he focused his gaze on Jesse. “T-T-Troy…” his voice came out in ragged bursts, his eyes fixed on Jesse. “Troy…”

Jesse gasped and let go of the water skin, letting water flow freely down the rocks. He tried to step backward, to run away, but his legs wouldn’t move. The assassin’s gaze was too piercing; too disconcerting. His face looked more weathered, more worn and tired, and his stare was one of someone who had grown up too fast. “Troy…”

Jesse took a deep breath and braved himself to speak. “Who’s Troy?”

For a moment the assassin looked confused. “Troy? Is that you?”

“No, I’m not Troy.”

The assassin began to panic. “But you look like Troy…”
Jesse gulped, uncertain. “No, I’m not Troy. You’re probably confused… I can help you. What’s your name?”

At this the assassin panicked even more, his arms flailing and beads of sweat mixed with blood visible trickling down his forehead. “R25J78... R25J78... I’m R25J78... No name, I’m R25J78...” Suddenly the assassin jolted, his eyes going dim. His hands fell to his sides and he whispered “R25J…” his eyelids began to droop and his head lolled to one side. Blood trickled down his cheek.

“My name is… Franc… Franc R25J78 son of Gregor K79K1...” his mouth closed for the last time.

Jesse stood up and let the tears flow down his face. He turned his back on the assassin and walked back to where Shaun stood leaning against a tree. Refusing to dwell on what he had just seen, he sat down heavily on a rock, and watched as Shaun took in his tear-stricken face. “So” Shaun begun, “I take it he’s dead.”

At sunrise, Jesse’s head was still reeling with what had happened the previous night. They had left the scene, both eager to put as many miles between them and the dead body and possible, but it was not long before exhaustion had forced them to make an early camp. Now, in midmorning, they were still trudging through endless greenery. Jesse sighed. Neither of them had spoken to each other, partly because Jesse didn’t feel like speaking, and Shaun hadn’t been able to kill the mystery assassin. Not so much of a mystery anymore, now that I know his name. Franc son of Gregor. But what did he mean by R25J78? Maybe it’s some sort of code or identification number? I suppose i'll just have to find out. Before they had left the camp, Shaun had taken Franc’s cloak, sword and bow, claiming them to be of a better quality than his own. As one last gift from the living to the dead, he had also stabbed Franc through the heart.

It was cloudy and cold, and it would not be long before the rain hit them. Running the next few metres to catch up with Shaun, he glanced at his surrounding, admitting to himself that they had strayed into unfamiliar territory.

Jesse spoke first, breaking the silence hat had followed them since breakfast that morning. “We’re lost.”

Shaun looked down at him. “You mean, you’re lost. Fortunately for you, I know exactly where we are and more importantly, know how to get us out of here. Or to get me out of here, since I could just leave you here.”

Appalled, Jesse looked up at him. “But you wouldn’t, would you?”

A cruel smile came onto Shaun’s lips. “I could, you know. Just leave you here and go back into the village and tell everyone you murdered Mitch. That would be the perfect revenge for what your father did to my brother.” he shifted round to look directly a Jesse. “But you’re right, Jesse son of no-one. I wouldn’t do that to you. Somehow I consider you to be a friend, even though you are still my enemy.”

Jesse sighed. It had been a long speech from Shaun, but it had clarified on thing: they were allies. He paused for a moment, letting the silence enter his thought, only to have it broken by Shaun.

“So where to now?”

Jesse glanced up at him. “What do you mean?”

Shaun shrugged. “I just assumed that you would want to go somewhere else, y’know, to get away from this. Well that’s what I would do.”

“I’m not sure…”

“If you want to leave, I might consider coming with you.”

This surprised Jesse. “Why?”

“Well since the… untimely exit, shall we say, of my older brother, everyone expects too much of me. Everyone wants me to replace my brother, and now that Mitch had gone the pressure will be even worse. I still have two live brothers for them to mould into model sons. No one will miss me.”

Jesse paused for a minute, unsure of what to do. Leaving seemed the only sensible option at the moment, but would that just make him a coward? Then the thought struck him: what was escaping from anyway? He liked adventure, but was that a good enough reason to leave everything behind? And did he trust Shaun?

His thought were interrupted once again by Shaun. “Y’know, if you want to leave… I know some good paths into the mountains that must lead somewhere. Not the travelling nomad’s paths, but proper tracks going deep into the mountains, tracks hidden in the forest. We could follow them if you like, for adventure. I‘ve always wanted to explore down there…”

Jesse let Shaun’s voice roll over his head as he glanced at the rain clouds, approaching quickly and heavily burdened with rain. What do I do now?

ok, so that is the question - what does jesse do now?
should he leave, and if so, should he take shauns route, or mebbe a totally different route
should he even trust shaun?
feel free to post!

Last edited by joyfull22 on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Author

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust no one, take a different route.
Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanx fenris!

could you guys suggest perhaps where he could go?

just a quick outline: he lives in this village, montains to the north and to the west, keep on going west you get to the sea, empire to the south, more mountains to the east, basically thats what i've thought up, but if u have any suggestions about where new places should be

*cough* (subtle hint for more posts, lol)
Author
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, he should trust no-one, but I think he should go with Shaun anyhow.
He seems like a strong guy (Shaun, that is...) and it would be useful to have him with you. Plus, he seems to have been in these mountains before. Maybe suggest taking another route to Shaun if he doesn't want to investigate the path which Shaun wants to take...?

Good chapter, thats all my suggesting so far. Might post more later.

~Solus

Author
Shogun
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say trust Shaun. Allies will be useful in the future.
I've got no right to way, I'm just caught up all the battles

Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thnx shogun!
i'd better get the poll up soon, but since there haven't been many posts, here are some ideas i've thought up:

1 - trust Shaun, and agree to go up the mysterious path
2 - trust shaun, but go a different way
3 - don't trust shaun, but go up the path anyway
4 - don't trust shaun, go a different way
5 - go back home, regardless of whether he trusts shaun or not
6 - kill shaun (sry, random)

any other suggestions?
Author
Shogun
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be good enough poll vote. Put it up.
I've got no right to way, I'm just caught up all the battles

Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok people, the poll is now on!
Author

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO joyful sorry just caught up with chapter 2. Seems to me he should trust the guy, but take a new route on his own.
Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanx tara

ill probably leave the poll on for another week or so, depends how many people vote
Author
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joy. Decided I'd go with trust Shaun, and go down the path.
But that basically means:
Don't trust Shaun, but pretend that you do.
Wink

~Solus

Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanx solus!

i might close the poll soon since there hasnt been much of a response, unless anyone else wants to vote
Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, thanx everyone who posted and voted last chappy
Sry this is so late
Anyway, im sorry this is so very long (3000 words… aaargh!)
I sort of got carried away

Chapter 3

“You got it?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Then let’s go.”

Jesse sighed. Although they were speaking in whispers, their voices still rang out clearly. He shifted his weight to his other foot, wincing as his muscles screamed in pain. He had been sitting here for three hours, waiting for Shaun to return with provisions for their trip. There was still tension between them, but it had lessened since the morning.

“Okay, here’s your stuff.” Shaun passed him a bag filled with food. Even though it was quite big, it was still disappointing to see how little Shaun had taken.

“And it took you three hours to get this?”

Shaun shrugged. “Take it or leave it. It’s all you’re getting.”

Jesse sighed. “I’m just saying, couldn’t you have got more?”

Shaun narrowed his eyes. “Look, I risked being seen to steal that stuff… either you accept or you’re not coming with me, got it?”

Jesse raised his hands in mock defeat. “Okay, just keep your voice down.” He glanced round. Although both of them were hidden a few yards behind some trees, it was possible that someone might come this way and see them.

“Sorry.”

Jesse smiled. “Good, well, we’d better leave, quickly…”

It took them almost an hour to find the path, and when they did, another hour to clear the brambles that blocked it’s entrance. Shaun had looked at them in dismay. “I swear these weren’t here when I discovered this path.”

The path itself twisted and turned through the mountains, often doubling back on itself to avoid the gorges that littered the mountainside. A few times the path itself seemed to disappear, only to return paved with stone and free of weeds.

For almost two weeks they traversed the mountains, travelling in a vague north-westerly direction, each mountain getting higher until they were walking through snow and avoiding glaciers.

Jesse glanced at the crevasse on his left and made a mental note not to fall down it. Sighing, he glanced at Shaun a few yards ahead of him. Neither of them had said anything constructive for a good few hours, and Jesse was starting to feel the cold. Hurrying forward, he caught up with Shaun.

“Nice day.” he lied.

“If you think so.”

“Quite cold.”

“I suppose it is.”

Annoyed, Jesse turned to Shaun. “Do you ever have anything to say?”

“I’m thinking.”

“You seem to have a lot to think about.”

Shaun smiled. “Yeah, I do.”

They lapsed into silence as the approached the top of the glacier. Jesse paused for a moment to take a drink, letting Shaun go on ahead. Jesse stopped for a moment to think. Why am I doing this anyway?

The answer came quickly. To escape of course.

But why am escaping?

His thoughts were interrupted by Shaun’s yell. “Jesse, come quick!”

Jesse ran up the last few metres to the summit and looked down to see Shaun standing next to a wooden hut. Slowly, Jesse navigated down some sharp rocks to stand beside him.

“What the…?”

Shaun grinned at Jesse‘s bemused face. “It’s just standing here. All alone, in the middle of nowhere.”

Before Jesse had any time to protest, Shaun had opened the door. A moment after his head popped out. “Come on!”

Jesse followed Shaun into the hut and closed the door. It was quite small and bare; only a bed, a desk and a fireplace. Jesse walked over to the desk and moved some of the papers around. Most seemed to be letters, written in an unknown language, though a few were written in the human tongue. He glanced at the top one.

Dear scout, thank you for your letter. Your family will be informed as soon as possible. Meanwhile, we remind you that at this stage in the mission, if I may call it that, your duties are much more important that your personal views. May I also point out that as an elf…

“Elf?” Jesse shook his head and almost laughed. Elves weren’t real; they were just made-up mythical beings, like pixies and dwarves. But it was written here…

Once again, Shaun interrupted his thoughts. “Someone’s been here.”

Jesse turned to see Shaun kneeling by the fireplace, holding some ashes.

“These ashes are warm. Someone’s been here recently.” he looked worried. “We’d better go… take what food you can find, quick.”

A closer inspection found enough rations to last a good few weeks. Grateful, they packed them into their bags and left.

Galdór looked up as an elfin archer entered the tent. “What news?”

The archer inclined his head then began to speak. “Sir, the humans have been located.”

Galdór turned to his assistants behind him and smiled; this was good news indeed. “Continue.”

“Sir, they were seen by one of our secluded scouts… you may remember him, sir, a tall fellow, good with the bow, bit of a hermit.”

Galdór nodded, and the archer carried on. “Sir, he is now following the humans. They took the path up the glacier to his hut, and are heading for the abandoned settlement of Earle.”

Galdór smiled again. “Is that all?”

The archer took a deep breath. “No sir… I bring bad news also.”

Galdór leaned forward. “Tell me, what is this bad news you burden?”

“Sir… do you remember, years ago, the banishment of the disloyal seventeen? Seventeen elves were exiled from the forest… different reasons, but mostly they were betrayers… informers to the King of the Empire. For over five hundred years, we have struggled to learn of their whereabouts, but a few hours ago, we found them.”

There was murmuring from the assistants and Galdór put his head in his hands. The archer carried on.

“Another of our scouts discovered their secret hiding place. The abandoned settlement of Earle. Right where the humans are heading. And even worse” he leant closer “They have mutated, if that is the right word. Mutated in body and mutated in mind… a new breed of semi-elves; have elf, have only-demons-knows what.”

With that the archer dismissed himself. Galdór turned to his assistants. “Tell me, what do you know of this Earle?”

One of them spoke. “It was a fortified village, many hundreds of years ago, but a disease wiped out most of the crops, forcing the farmers and most of the village to leave. From then the village fell into disarray.” he paused for a moment before asking “what will we do?”

Galdór sighed. “Tell me, how many men do we have with us?”

“Ten armed scouts, ten elfin swordsmen and at least fifteen archers.”

“And if we call for help, how many will come?”

“We have fifty archers at the nearest barracks, but it will take at least five days for them to arrive… there are also twenty swordsmen on patrol nearby, but that again will take time… twenty armed scouts with permanent positions in these mountains, but many of them will be reluctant to abandon their positions.”

Galdór closed his eyes for a moment before reopening them. Standing up, he barked his orders. “Okay, I want as many men as we can get by nightfall… gather all scouts and call for reinforcements… we don’t have any humans with us do we?” When his assistants shook their head he smiled; humans were weak. They would be easy targets for the enemy. He turned to his deputy. “Good. We will take five archers and go on ahead… an advance guard to check the humans are safe.”

Jesse paused and looked over his shoulder. It was almost nightfall, and ever since they had left the hut he had been distracted. He had a feeling that he was being watched.

He glanced up at the rocky ridge on his left, and for a moment, thought he saw the outline of a human form disappear into the shadows. He spun his head round to look into the shrubbery on his right, once again glimpsing what might have been a human. Shivering, he ran up to Shaun.

“We’re being watched.” he whispered.

Galdór glanced at the humans below him and smiled a wry smile. He found it hard to believe that they hadn’t seen him or his companions, none of whom were being particularly quiet. But then again he reminded himself humans aren’t known for being intelligent. He smiled again and called over his assistant.

“Withdraw your men from the right side and tell them to move further down.”

“Okay.”

“Oh, and tell your men to keep their voices down. I can hear them from up here.”

His assistant laughed. “Galdór, don’t worry - the humans won’t hear us. They haven’t seen us yet, and I doubt they- ah!”

He didn’t have time to finish as Galdór pushed him to the ground.

“Quiet, you fool! He saw us!”

His assistant laughed. “Really, now, I don’t think-”

“Quiet!” Galdór hissed down at him before standing up. A moment later, he was back on the ledge, peering down at the humans. He drew back again and swore slightly.

“Yes, they definitely saw us.”

His assistant glanced down at them. “Which one sir?”

“The smaller one.”

His assistant looked impressed. “He’s quick. Most humans wouldn’t know we were here unless we were yelling in their ears.”

Galdór smiled. “I suppose that’s why they want him. Something about Eldreda’s prophecy… the old nag finally saw something.” he paused. “Anyway, move your men back into the bushes. We don’t want any more of them to be seen.”

His assistant nodded, then frowned. “Sir, couldn’t we just arrest them? They must be inside the boarders by now, surely?”

Galdór shook his head. “Once. But the boarders are shrinking, the Havenlands in decline. There was a time when Icehaven’s boarders were broad and well defended… now they have to turn to us elves for support.”

There was silence for a minute before Galdór spoke again. “Well, back to work, I want the…” he paused and turned to his assistant. “Do you feel that?”

His assistant frowned. “A change of the wind perhaps? A new scent…”

“Yes, a new scent… danger is in the air tonight… yet I think…”

His voice trailed off into more silence until Galdór turned and said, his voice full of fear, “They have come.”

Panic gripped his assistant. “W-w-what now, s-sir?”

Galdór paused, deep in thought. “We follow the humans. We stay out of sight. We stay in the shadows. If the humans are attacked, we will rescue them and get our men out quickly… I fear blood will be shed tonight.”

Jesse swore as another bramble scratched his skin, drawing blood. Pressing his hand to the wound, he ran up to Shaun, who as usual was a few yards ahead of him.

“We should stop here. It’s getting quite dark.” he paused as he felt the familiar sensation of being watched. “Or maybe not.” he muttered as an afterthought.

Shaun glanced down at him. “No, not yet. It’s not safe here.”

Jesse looked up, startled. “You feel it too?”

Curious, Shaun looked down. “Feel what? No, it’s just too open round these parts… wait till we get further down in the valley.”

Jesse nodded slightly. “It’s just… keep your voice down. We’re being watched.”

Shaun laughed. “Jesse, that’s what you said last time and the time before that. I’m sure if anyone was watching us, we’d have seen them by now, okay? It’s perfectly-”

His words were cut off by the whistle of an arrow cutting through the air and a grunt as someone fell to the ground. Spinning round, they saw the cloaked figure of a dying person spread on the ground, blood leaking from his chest.

“No-one following us, huh?”

Shaun ignored his comment and walked over to where the man lay and pulled his hood back to reveal slightly pointed ears. “An… an elf? Jesse, he’s an elf!”

Jesse laughed. “Don’t be absurd! Elves aren’t real, they’re just made up people…” his voice dwindled as he saw the man’s ears and remembered the note on the hut. “So an elf… it’s true…” Never had he believed in elves, yet here in front of him was one. A dead elf, yes, but an elf nonetheless. “Wow…”

Then a thought struck him. “Shaun…”

“Yes?”

Fear gripped him as he grabbed hold of Shaun’s coat, pulling him up. “The man who shot him,” he hissed, “why would he shoot him and leave us alive? What if he come back for us…?”

As if to answer, an arrow whistled through the air and embedded itself in the tree behind them. They both leapt up.

“Run!” Shaun screamed as they sprinted through the undergrowth, ducking as arrows were loosened in their direction. They didn’t stop until they were a good distance from the clearing.

“Y’know, I’m starting to think you’re right.” gasped Shaun as he leant against a tree. “About people following us, that is.”

“Yeah.” Jesse closed his eyes and leaned his head back, grateful for the cool winds that brushed his face. It wasn’t until a few moments later when he opened his eyes that the realisation dawned on him; they were lost. Mentioning it to Shaun, all he got was a grunt in reply.

“We’ll be fine.”

Dissatisfied, Jesse walked round some rocks to take a look at his surroundings. He hadn’t got far before he was called back by Shaun.

“Come and look at this.”

Jesse squinted in the dark at where Shaun was pointing. For a moment his eyes almost passed over it, but then he saw it; a village.

“What the…?”

A small village lay not a hundred yards away from them, lit up by the shaft of moonlight that penetrated the clouds. Ruined and desolate, a few solitary candles burned in the windows, tiny pinpricks of light against the dark background. Cloaked figures were seen darting between the shadows, many carrying bows or other weapons of some sort, most heading to the left side of the village. In the distance, a baby’s wail was carried on the wind; the sound seemed almost unnatural in a place so bare.

Beside him, Shaun whispered “Do you think they’ve seen us?”

“I don’t know.” Jesse replied, “Or at least, I hope not.”

“We’d better go.”

“Right.”

They turned around and headed back to the bushes. Out of nowhere, a yell pierced the air, and within moments they were surrounded. Arrows and javelins were poked in their direction. Jesse could feel Shaun trembling beside him. From the midst of the group, a lone figure stepped forward.

“Well well well,” it mused, “of what have we here?”

Any shock at hearing it’s rough, rasping voice was easily displaced by the horror of it’s appearance. It, or he, since the creature was definitely male, was broad shouldered and roughly six feet tall, dressed in simple garments. His delicate facial features and pointed ears looked out of place on his course yellow-tinted skin. No beard grew on his face, but long brown hair like that of a price streamed down his back.

“Not an elf… these ones ain’t” his voice was mocking, taunting. There was laughter from his companions.

“Not an elf, but two young… humans.”

Murmuring from the crowd.

“Tasty flesh, if we were ones of the more carnivorous nature.”

More laughter. Finally, Shaun seemed to have found his voice.

“Let us go.” he stammered, “We are innocent.”

“Hark, hear the human speak, his voice does tremble so!” the stranger laughed, his voice booming throughout the clearing. “Forgive us, human, let me introduce me. I be Barg, leader of this banished tribe. We expect elves, big fight tonight, you be early. Not often do we have two young humans wander amongst us.”

He motioned for one of his friend to remove Jesse’s and Shaun’s bags and to set them down on the ground. Murmurs of approval came from his companions. Shaun cleared his throat to speak. “Please, do tell me, ummm… Barg… what are you?”

Sadness came into his eyes. “I was an elf once. Now I am a Bargman. They banished me, along with seventeen others. They called us disloyal - hah! Though tell us, what news? How fares the Empire?”

“Pardon.”

Barg frowned down at them. “You be who I think you be… or do you be not the messengers promised we were?”

Shaun spoke again. “We are weary travellers who have been following the path-”

“Path?” queried Barg, “You follow path? You come via path? You be not the ones we want!”

Mutterings of disapproval came from the crowd and once again arrows and javelins were pointed in their direction.

“You lie!” cried Barg, “You spy, you elf-fiend, you ice-friend, you die! You evil, you beastie, you-”

His words were cut off as an arrow sprouted from his chest. Silence filled the air, only to be cut as a hail of arrows were loosened on Barg’s crowd. For a moment confusion and panic, then javelins and crudely made arrows were fired up at the unseen attackers.

“Run!”

Jesse’s words were lost in the noise as he and Shaun raced off, away from the battle. They had not got far before they found their path blocked by someone else; an elf. Standing tall and wielding a bow, he looked almost magical as a shaft of moonlight slipped through the clouds and lit up his face.

“Come.” he urged them, “Come.”

He held a hand out for them to take, and for a moment, Jesse was tempted to grab hold of it, but Shaun pulled him back.

“Come!” the elf’s voice was more urgent now. “Come on.”

Shaun pulled Jesse back, away from the elf, and deeper into the forest.

“What did you do that for?”

Shaun looked at him. “You know the old saying: Never trust an elf. They might befriend you, they might trust you, then they kill you. Jesse, he could be a murderer. An assassin, you don’t know.”

“Okay,” Jesse started, then reached for a drink. “Oh…” he swore. “Shaun, we left our bags with the village.”

Shaun also swore, and both of them stared dismally into the forest.

What now?

Congrats if u got this far without falling asleep

Ah yes… Barg… sry, I was running low on ideas

Ok, folks: what happens now?
Should they go back to join the elves?
Or should they join Barg’s men?
Should they fight?
Should they leg it?
Or should something totally unexpected happen? (I dunno, a mutant dragon flies through the sky and rescues them, lol? Im sure u can do better than that!)
Author
JezSharp
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Chapter and DP, wasn't in danger of falling asleep.

Errrr...well going anywhere near the fight right now would be a bad plan, so head away from the battlefield and climb a tree for the night.

If we're alowed to expand into the depths of fantasy I'd suggest that within the woods there exist a peaceful tribe of small fairies who guide the travellers away to a place of sanctuary (or a place that appears to be a place of sanctuary if they are slightly less innocent and peaceful).
Author
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmhmm. Good chapter. I think they should stay back, maybe try and watch the fight to see who wins. If it's the elf that wanted them to come with him, I think that
1) they go with him because that way they could get food and supplies, although there is a potential risk. Those elves seemed to be helping them somewhat, though, so it wouldn't be too bad of an idea, hmm.
2) Jez's option. (btw, where did the fairies come from?! lol Smile )

Joining the bards would be a madmans idea - they just tried to kill them! Hmm.

Anyway, really like how this story is progressing.
Wink
~Solus

Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanx guys!

i like solus's idea of getting the food

the fairies r a bit random, though not a bad idea!

does anyone else have any suggestions?
Author
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty good tale Joy! Caught up. What should they do now? Mmmm.

I think go back and see how the battle turns out, hiding of course. Then steal any euquipment and food left behind. I know, it's not a great idea, but it's all I have for now! Confused
Author

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“Shaun, we left our bags with the village.”

either it is "Shaun, we left our bags with the villagers"
Or it's "Shaun, we left our bags at the village"

Great chapter Joyfull. Very Happy Become allies I say it would be cool to see what unfolds in that part of option. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Lets see they fight and then one wins-- a draw would be cool. still they could watch what is happening, but it would make them more funreable if they do not search for food and more weaponry..
Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well so far the main suggestions seem to be to stay and watch the fight and then to get their bags or more weapons or join the elf

or get rescued by some fairies

any more ideas? i'll try to get the poll up by wednesday or friday
Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll leave the poll up for about a week or so, depending on how many votes there are
Author
joyfull22

Items

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a tie.

Could someone please break it?

Thanks.
Author
algu95
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE TIE HAS BEEN BROKEN BY LILLITH! (or whatever) She said she would check in this SG, and she did. Well done! This SG is a too wonderful SG to be distrupted.

Falcon Lord, a linear story by algu!

So what happens now?
Jesse and Shaun stay and watch the fight, then join the elves?
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Jesse and Shaun head away from the battlefield and climb a tree for the night?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jesse and Shaun get rescued by innocent fairies?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jesse and Shaun get rescued by some not-so-innocent fairies?
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Jesse and Shaun watch the battle then steal food and weapons?
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
The fight is a draw, so the just leave?
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7
:

Reply to topic       Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: