Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Endless Forest: A Thief's Way

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Hak
Citizen

Topics: 12

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Endless Forest: A Thief's Way Reply with quote

I wrote the thief's story, because..... I hate Haruki... I dunno why. She won't get a story, but thief-girl will

One foot leaves the ground as the other sloshes in the wet earth as he walks slowly toward the cave. He had been defeated in Gator Village, and none of the children wished to come home conquered, for fear of the eldest in the group. Creeping past the bushes that held sleeping guards, the teen tried to sneak to his cot unnoticed. Silently he passed the hammock holding the lead boy, cringing as the lump snorted in its sleep.

After reaching his cot, the boy slipped off his sandals, and pulled his shirt over his head. As the cloth hit the ground, the light crystals flickered brightly.

“Haku! Why are you so late?” The head boy sat up in his hammock, legs swinging below him.

“sorry sir, I only just returned from Gator Village. The gators, they had help from the residents. I couldn’t beat them.”

Looking thoughtfully around, the eldest spoke, “You know what we do to those who fail and return.” Gasps were heard all around.

“Garret, please! He’s only a child.”

“SILENCE! We’re all children here, and we know how hard it is to live alone. We all get sent to villages and towns after we reach the age of eighteen. If we can’t survive that long, how will we survive the rest of our lives? Haku’s already fourteen, he needs to learn!” Garret’s face flushed with anger.

The others were awake now, and one of the older girls pointed out, “You’re almost eighteen. Only two years left. Who’ll lead us then, after you’ve killed the young ones off?”

Garret turned his dark eyes back on him, ignoring the girl, “You will go to the Hidden Islands in High Coast, and you will return with a Dragon egg, or a whelp, or not return at all.”

Terror was soon in the eyes of all the children. Never before had Garret sent for a dragon hatchling. They knew that something was going to happen, and if Haku didn’t return, they’d be sent if they slipped up once.

Slowly, the shock left the boy’s eyes, and he turned to gather his items. I cannot cry. I will not die. The Code of Chua was the only thing he could think of. The last of his clothing was pushed into the bottom of his sack, and he was reaching for his torch and candles as a hand grasped his shoulder.

“Haku, I’ve spoken to Garret, and I’m coming too.” The boy’s dark haired friend grinned at him, waiting for a reply.

“Thank you, Chide.” was all he could muster.

Within the hour, the two set out, crossing the small spit of land that connected Young Stone to the Endless forest. They never looked back at what had been their home.

Last edited by Hak on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:45 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 2

After two weeks of moving Northeast, they came to the Pit of Confusion. Slowly, they tried to creep around the large sandbox below. Half there, a third away, almost to the end.

Chide’s footing went loose, and his body went tumbling down toward the center of the pit. His screams would not be heard by any ears but Haku’s. Terror flickered through Chide’s eyes as creatures clambered out of large holes around the sides of the pit.

“Haku! Help!” The cries only seemed to pump more adrenaline into the bodies of the monsters surrounding him.

Haku’s feet forced him toward the center of the growing swarm, to his friend. Dirt sprayed the air as he stopped to pull Chide off the ground. The two pushed and pulled at the nearly vertical wall that seem their only escape.

Clacking and screaming of oversized beasts sang death toward the pair. Fear gripped their limbs, threatening to take away all control of their movement. The wave was nearly thirty feet away when a figure appeared.

The attention of the beasts seemed to turn towards the sillouette. Confusion drove the boys to stop moving, who could call the attention of all of those things? Who would want it?

They saw a glimpse of her face through ruby hair as she turned back and grinned at them. Her attention now wholly on the swarm, she lifted her arms, as though accepting a hug, then slowly brought them together. Sparks flew from the center of the area between her hands. As they finally met, and explosion shook the earth.

A bright, pale blue light erupted from her, washing over all the creatures, blowing away their flesh and bones. As the darkness of the sun returned to the boys’ vision, they saw the massacre that had happened.

Blood spattered the ground all around them, mixing with the bright dirt under their feet. The girl was just standing there, staring at them.

Chide seemed to be the first to recover, “Who are you?”

The girl took three steps closer, then paused. Slowly, she moved to them. “Rock children, eh?” Her voice chimed with a malicious sweetness.

“used to be.” Haku hung his head.

He jumped back a little, unsure of what to do with the hand now thrust into his face. He cautiously took her hand. Chide, after looking at Haku’s reaction, followed suite.

Bright white feathers burst from the back of her cerulean blue summer dress. Flexing her wings, pushing on the air, she steadily lifted them into the air.

Haku could feel the excitement rush through his veins. Wind sped past as the girl took off toward the north of the Pit. As he looked over, Haku could tell his friend’s acrophobia had caused him to faint, tears streaming from his eyes. Yes, that was why he trusted Chide; he was the only one of the Rock children who hadn’t feared showing his feelings.

The girl set them on the ground at the edge of the forest, bowing toward Haku, then moving toward Chide. She touched his forehead, and his eyes opened.

“How high were we?” His voice was quiet.

She smiled that evil-yet-sweet smile of hers, “Only a hundred yards.”

Haku couldn’t help but snicker at Chide’s face, a distorted mixture of joy and fear. “So, you never told us your name.”

Her face was sullen, and she stood. Her heels clicked together, her hand held in salute at her forehead, and her dress flowed into a form-fitting navy blue suite. “I am Merrille Hruki Skyweave Dechmeich heintu.” Her hand dropped, and her outfit changed back, “though people just call me Haruki.”

“Hey, we’re headin to the hidden islands, east of the north outpost. Would you care to come?” Chide’s enthusiasm clearly showed that she’d won his heart.

She looked toward Haku. He nodded. “Sure, I’d enjoy that.” Something about her seemed to bother Haku. He could almost sense something evil about her.

“We’d better get out of here.” Haku pulled the others back into the forest, confusion clouding his mind.

Sorry, I need to finish this by monday, and I find that this seems to be the only site not blocked by the school. Enjoy.

Last edited by Hak on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rune
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the decision point I'd say- oh wait. This is a linear. Yay!
Thanks Hak-Cough-Wheeze.

You mention darkness from the sun and later, bright dirt. Unless they are true statements you will want to change them.

Hurry and write more so you get it all done by Monday.

I'll see you in my thoughts and dreams.
Try not worry for you- unseen. A child I knew you then- Now amongst the dead spirits of men.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.
I'll hang on if you linger.

Rest your spirit with me.
One friend down. Goodbye Christian.
Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:

You mention darkness from the sun and later, bright dirt. Unless they are true statements you will want to change them.

Well, I was implying that after seeing a bright light, the things that seemed bright before always look darker after you can see at all again...
Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a two part section, but feel free to comment while I finish the other half.
Three days had passed in the forest when the group reached the next landmark. The Desert of Tears. One day was then spent gathering food, for though there was water in the sand, there was no life. Haku picked a choice stick to use as a cane, for fear of being left behind. After filling the two spare sacks Chide had packed, they set out toward the seemingly endless desert.

Time seemed to have no meaning here, the sun only reached the center of the sea of sand. A pillar of light acting as a beacon for the halfway point. They only knew how much time had passed because the pillar disappeared sixteen hours each day. After five days of walking, they’d run out of food, and soon they’d have to find something to eat.

Three birds circled above, waiting for a corpse to fall. Chide pulled out his slingshot and loaded it with a stone, taking aim. He felled on of the birds, and as the other two noticed the now dead body, they rushed toward the ground to fight off the humans for the food.

Haku lifted the end of his stick off the ground, flinging sand into the face of the lower bird, and flinging back to strike the other on the head. He quickly changed the direction of action and struck the head of the bird clawing at it’s eyes.

They had food for two more days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After two more days they reached the light. The warmth brought joy to them. Chide threw down his sack and lay down to sleep. Haku calmly settled down, but kept his eyes open partially as to watch Haruki. She hadn’t said anything scince that first day, but she seemed happy enough. He watched as her form slowly dropped into a sitting position.

They stayed like this for a half an hour, until Haruki thougt the others had fallen under sleep’s sweet spell. That was when Haku discovered what he’d found odd about her.
Silently, she dug through the bag that had been assigned to her by Chide. Pulling out a small stick, she stuck it into the ground. As her hands left it, the tip began to glow green. After a few seconds a small screen had formed, and on it was a compass.

Out of the bag, she pulled a thick, four by seven, book. The leather cover had been worn, and the pages seemed ancient. She studied the book, whispered a few words, then looked at the compass. The dial spun and aimed straight at Haku.

Fear began to creep into his heart. Why was that thing pointing at him? And why did she seem to be forcing some other outcome?

Slowly, he pushed up into a sitting position. The sun reflected off her bright red hair, giving her a fiery halo, as she turned her head toward him.

“Haku. I’m sorry, did I wake you?” Her smile had returned, but it seemed more solemn.

“No, I haven’t been able to rest.” He crawled over to her and stared at the book and compass, “What are these for?”

There, in her face, was something that shocked him. Pity and guilt. “These are what I use to track… things…”

“What… kinds of ‘things?” He instantly regretted asking.

She bowed her head… “People…” Her eyes found his through her wall of hair, “who will die… if I don’t help.”

After a moments pause, he asked, “Why does it keep pointing towards me? I thought you just saved us.”

She looked at the glowing rod, “I did, but it seems death has passed over your friend, who was the only one meant to die, and decided to haunt you.”

“So, I guess that means I’ll need you around for a while.” He couldn’t believe he was trusting her, but something seemed true in her words.

She just stared at the ground, and then something hit the sand. She was crying. He instinctively placed his hand on her shoulder.

“What’s wrong?”

Her hair suddenly turned black, and her eyes glowed yellow with hatred, “I hate humans.” He could feel the air around her seem to heat up.

“Why?”

She jumped slightly, it seemed than no one had asked her before, “You, Your people are ignorant fools, believing in unreal things and forcing the truth to become fantasy. MY FAMILY HAS BEEN MURDERED BY HUMAN HANDS!!!” She threw his arm off of her and stood.

A startled Chide woke up behind Haku. His eyes trying to focus on the scene before him.

He could see it now, the blue fire that surrounded her flared with intensity. Her rage combined with her magic had taken form. He knew what he had to do.

Haku stood and took a couple steps forward. She held her hand out to her side, a ball of condensed fire forming there. As he came closer, she raised her hand. His hands found her shoulders, and pulled her close.

Slowly, she let go of the fire in her hand and started to cry into his shirt. The flames dimmed and all that was left was two embracing youths, and one extremely confused, tired, friend.

Last edited by Hak on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 2 of part 3
Six days passed, and they soon saw the cover of the forest again. Haku had to explain to Chide what had happened, and as he heard the story, Chide couldn’t help but fear for his friend’s life.

“If she doesn’t kill you, then the dragons surly will.”

“Yes, but if she’s been sent to find someone who’ll die if she doesn’t help, that implies that she can help them live.”

Haruki hadn’t spoken since that night, but Haku could tell that the tension between them had broken. She walked a little closer to him, and seemed interested in what he and Chide said to each other and her.

They had less than a day until they could rest, but something seemed wrong. The sand dipped in a little more than the usual waves. Haku and Haruki steered clear, but Chide, unknowing, stepped right into the trap.

Out of the sand, a seven foot scorpion claw snatched Chide from the ground. The creature rose, showing its grey body. The creatures here knew how to camouflage in the shaded sand. The beast flung him to the ground and raised it’s fourteen foot tail to strike.

Haruki pulled him out of the way just in time, and then jumped of to the side. A purple pentagram shown in the sand around her, then spread to Haku and Chide. Chide’s bag glowed for a moment, and he pulled what used to be his slingshot from it. Haku’s cane had turned into a majestic, black sword.

Soon, Haku sliced the beast’s limbs, Chide shot its shell with his magical bow, and light exploded the sand around it.

The beast reared in anguish, and taking his chance, Haku shoved his sword into the soft underbelly of it. A million shrieks emanated from deep in the beast’s throat. As it died, a small army of translucent, average sized, scorpions came from its back.

“It was a mother!” Chide’s surprise showing in his voice.

The arachnid had been much too tall to see the smaller ones on its back. Almost instantaneously, they had all been blown to pieces. Small bits flew everywhere, and all they could do was stare ate Haruki’s twisted face.

Suddenly, her charismatic smile reappeared, “What, can’t a girl have a little fun?”

As they walked once more towards the forest, they laughed and talked, enjoying the time they had.

Last edited by Hak on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, that's all for the night...
Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang... I didn't write anymore today....
Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part four

After three more days in the forest, they reached the gate to the Northern Outpost. As the looming archway passed over them, they were greeted with the bustle of a busy city. Merchants were selling their wares to dozens of people, whilst thieves took what scraps they could. The guards standing nearby purposefully took no notice of this.

The group made their way to the nearest inn and set up a room. Haku quickly made his way to a small vendor, and then bartered whatever he could for some metal bars; he then traded those off for a collection of small knives, and continued this until he held three swords and his cane. He met back with the other two, who had gained food fit for kings for three weeks, and plenty of money to last a while.
They moved to the inn and soon were sitting on the beds, sharing the extra bits they’d obtained.

“I found a Knaimun, three of them!” Chide held out his palm, and there lay three little beads. Each had swirls of silver and gold gust flying through them.

Haruki stared intently at them, “aren’t they supposed to act as portable seeing orbs, or crystal balls?”

Chide’s head bobbed in agreement. He handed one to each of them and proceeded to tell them how to use the small, dark balls. Haku was the first to use his. The little orbs glowed as their thoughts were transferred.

Haruki was next, “well, I only found these.” In her hands were three sticks that seemed like they had been plucked from silver trees. The detail was amazing, wires twisted around the base of each, forming an intricately designed handle.

“These are elemental wands; they grant whoever holds one the power over one element.”

Haku received his graciously, but Chide was feeling a little angsty. “So, how many elements are there? Four? Twelve?”

“Four main ones, but there are minor elements as well,” She beamed with pride as she rambled off all she knew about the powers. She jumped a little when Chide decided to try his wand. The end of his wand sparked with electricity.

Haku quietly set his findings on the ground as Haruki reprimanded the giggling boy. Their attention was soon back on the center of the triangle. The one item Haku had found could be used by one, but would help them all.

“Is that... did you seriously find…-“

Chide’s bright voice squeaked, “The Dragon Slayer!”

The silver hilt twisted and writhed with the forms of eastern dragons, long bodied serpents, breathing fire that merged into the bright red, serrated blade. The body of the sword was five feet long, and curved a little at the end.

They spent the next two nights in the Outpost, but they never found anything quite as amazing as the first. They soon gathered their supplies and moved on, walking toward the coast.

Last edited by Hak on Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now working on the next part... it might be the last... T_T=
Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 5 (1)

Haruki threatens someone....

Four days passed and they reached the shore of High Coast, tiny beads of sand squished under them as they walked over to the dock. Their only means of getting to the islands was to buy a boat and maybe a crew.

Haruki stepped up to the nearest sailor, “Where can I go to buy one of these boats?”

The sailor pointed towards a tall man dressed in a navy blue suite, and sporting a bright white beard. He turned to the group as they approached.

“Sir, we’d like to purchase a boat.” Chide’s voice sounded professional, and it made Haruki look at him weirdly.

The man smiled and gestured toward three ships, “These are the ones we have for sale.”

The one on the left was a rusty metal tug-boat, barely big enough for two people. Next in line was fair sized, fit for five, it seemed to be made from oak, but the deck needed to be polished, and the radio didn’t work. Lastly there was a raft with walls; it had room for one and looked like it wouldn’t hold for long.

The choice was obvious, “We’ll take that one.” Chide pointed to the middle boat, then held out the money he expected to pay for it.

“Oh, that’s our prize ship! That one will cost a bit more than that. Thirty gold pieces.” He held his hand out, as if to receive the payment.

Haruki pushed Chide aside, then stared into the captain’s eyes, “We need that ship to travel to the Hidden Isles. Either you take this amount, or we’ll kill all your workeds, then pull out your tongue. Your hair would be pulled out strand by strand, and when we’ve finished with that, we’ll dump you into the salty sea and keel-haul you until you’ve been eaten by the beasts of the sea, or die from being torn to bits by the barnacles.”

The man’s eyes grew wide with terror, but other than that he belied no reaction. He accepted Chide’s payment, then walked stiffly to the other end of the dock.

“Man, that was harsh.” His aloofness had returned.

Haruki just shrugged and threw her bag onto the deck and climbed on. They soon took off and let the motor buzz them through the liquid sea. As they traveled they set up their items, making the boat their temporary home.

It would take weeks, months even, to find the islands, then another few days searching them for the Dragons. They might as well settle in.

Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 5 (2)

The story is finished.

After two weeks of searching and five days of looking, they found the Dragon’s Cave Island. The group hid in the overlarge bushes near the entrance to the cave closest to the water. Two days of studying the cave, they planned how to get an egg.

“Okay, there’s always the mother around, but the others leave periodically, there are only three dragons that leave, so we’ll keep track of how many are gone, and as soon as they’re all gone, we’ll kill the mother and take the eggs.” Haruki had her simple plans.

Haku nodded to every plan thrown out after that, but no matter what, he knew he’d be the one to use the Dragon Slayer. The other two wanted nothing to do with the death of any of those beasts.

After the three dragons had left, Haruki cast a protective spell over the cave and sent the other two in. Chide went to locate the eggs, and Haku was left with finding the mother.

Haku had just rounded a corner when he had to jump back as flames flew past. He looked around the corner, and the beast was staring at him, snout wrinkled in a glare. He understood the emotion in those emerald eyes, fear. That was the mother, and underneath her was a nest.

He held out the Dragon Slayer and dropped it on the ground. His feet started moving him toward her. Her head reared back as he reached his hand out. Her anger lessened as his soft touch told her that she was in no danger.

“Miss, I’m sorry, but I came with the intention of killing you and stealing your eggs. Please forgive me.” He made sure his voice was soothing.

The lizard’s reply was a deep rumble, shaking the ground with a growling sound that slightly resembled a purr. She’d just shut her eyes as a blast of light hit the side of her head. Haku could see the confusion in her eyes as Haruki prepared another shot.

“Haruki! No! She doesn’t want to hurt us!” Haku’s pleadings had no effect when Chide threw the Dragon Slayer to him.

He felt tears start to sting his eyes as the dragon looked toward him. She understood his pain in that instant, and dropped her head low enough to let him end her. She let loose a quieter purr as he silently raised the sword. One tear hit her head whilst the sword dropped into her skull, ending her life instantly, painlessly.

The mother had rolled herself off the eggs before her death. Haku knelt down and held the beast’s head in his arms. He didn’t understand it, but something about that beast had been familiar. It had trusted him, and he had trusted her. There was love between them, even if it had only lasted a moment.

They gathered the eggs and fled to the ships. As they left the island the sounds of the returning dragons’ cries filled the air. The boat sped away, back to the mainland.

Haku’s plans to return to Youth Stone had fled his mind; all he could think of was raising those dragons. The three of them bought a small plot of land near the Northern Outpost. After clearing the trees out, they used the left over wood to build a small house, and the spent the rest of their days caring for the young lizards, and each other.

Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facts about this story:

This story is the first of many concerning this area. The characters they've met along the way all have a story, even the thieves of the Northern Outpost. Mother Dragon will be the final story, and the story of Haruki will be next. Please, enjoy my linears, and comment as well. ^_^=

Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, a bit rushed maybe, but really a nice little story.

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson
Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was kinda due today, so that's why it's rushed...
Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting the story on Haruki now
Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haruki isn't one of my favorite characters, so here's a story about a thief in the Northern Outpost. See if you can spot the reference to the previous story. You'll learn the girl's name later.
Slowly, silently, she crept around the edge of the building, eyeing her target. The girl stood, coming out of her crouching position, and walked towards the man she’d been staring at. As she passed him, she stepped to the right just enough to bump into him.
He turned on his heel, “Watch where you’re going, girl!” His face flushed and he huddled closer to the crowd surrounding a simple market booth.
She apologized and stepped back, walking on. Soon a commotion erupted behind her as the man found his wallet missing. He hollered the words, “Thief, thief! She took my money!” and she began running.
The crowd tried to keep up with her, but she new the alleys better than anyone, and she used the narrow ones to her advantage. After the group had been out of sight for a few seconds, she pushed the side of one of the walls, and flew diagonally to the opposite wall. She kept this technique and landed safely on the roof.
The mob passed below her, grunting and yelling, pushing through the small gap between the two houses. She couldn’t help but smile as she sat down and opened her prize.
This guy was loaded! He had three hundred dollar bills, and about twenty fifties. Her grin grew as she thought of what to do with the loot. She found a faint picture of the man and his family and promptly tore it up and threw it to the wind.
The wallet was soon in the inside pocket of her jacket, and she leapt back down to the street. She removed the scarf around her face, and pulled it inside out, turning it from white to red.
She strutted down the street, eying possible victims, noting a group of three youths trading for higher items. Her focus suddenly was fully on one person. A guard had stopped in front of her, and he seemed to be ready to kill.
“Sorry.” Her tiny voice seemed whispered. She huddled her face further into the scarf.
The guard’s expression suddenly changed, and he smiled. “Oh, my fault.”
She could feel her face flushing; he was around her age, but be a new recruit.
“So, lovely weather we’re having, eh?” He held his hand out, gesturing to the light sprinkle of rain.
“Yes, I love it here. The weather is perfect when it’s not storm season.” She smiled as he laughed.
His face quickly snapped back to serious, “I need to get back to work.” As soon as the other passing guard went by, he winked at her and was off.
The rest of her day was spent spying on the guard, fingering the ivory pocket knife she’d lifted off of him. This day had been great, a ton of loot and a new crush. She slept well that night.

More commin soon

Last edited by Hak on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm at school with nothing to do, I find I can write! Here's the first part of the second part.
She awoke just as the first pink rays of light hit the horizon. Propping herself up on her hands, she looked around at the other two people in the room. The female, Aria, wasn’t the best thief, but she was their strategist, planning all their heists. Next to her, with his arm around Aria’s waist, was Rue. He was their brute force. The two had decided that their ongoing flirtations had to be taken care of, with marriage…
Aria stirred, “Al? ‘That you?” She pushed the boys arm off her, waking him.
“Yeah, it’s me.” The girl stood and walked over to the window, a dreamy look on her face.
The boy’s rough voice had been found again, “You might not want to lean on that, Alleria.”
She didn’t hear the boy’s last words as she fell through the wall. She fell the two stories, and landed feet first, bending her legs to absorb the shock. Bits of rubble hit her as she looked up at the laughing girl and Rue’s exasperated face. Trying to stand made her legs hurt, so she just sat down, one leg bent with the ankle under the other.
Sounds of metal boots reverberated around the alley as a guard ran to see the commotion. He spied Al, and was with her in an instant.
He examined the area quickly, then bent down to help her up. “I’m sorry…” Again she used her tiny voice.
Recognition shone in the guard’s eyes, “Why hello again.” He held her up as her legs tried to buckle underneath her. “What happened, if I may ask?”
Al blushed and looked up at the broken wall, seeing that the other two had fled to the depths of the room, “I guess this building hasn’t been taken care of recently. I decided to see the sunrise, and then found myself down here.”
They both shared a smile, and then they stared toward the house. She soon learned the boy’s name was Devin, and he learned hers. When they reached the door to her room, she thanked him, and assured that she’d avoid that wall from now on.
She found herself trying to avoid the curious eyes and questions of her friends as she walked over to the broken wall. She lay down and peeked over the edge. She watched as the guard walked to the middle of the alley, turned back, and walked on.
The day had only begun.

Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is no one commenting? Just cuz it's linear doesn't mean it's not good. here's another part.
She was running away with another man’s wallet, and spied her guard. His eyes were following her as he ran towards her. Her disguise made her unrecognizable to him, but she still felt naked under his stare.
It scared Al to see that hatred in Dev’s eyes. She wished the pain they caused her would end. Her maneuver from the day before kept her from being caught yet again, but her heart ached as the boy waited below, searching for any trace of her.
She couldn’t stand it anymore, so she pulled out the money, left the personal items, and dropped the expensive, Gator-Leather wallet down to him. He looked up in time to see the end of her scarf, and picked up the wallet.
Dev checked inside it, to see what she took. The thief had left everything but one of the hundreds. He pulled out a loose slip of paper and felt he had to read it.
“Dear Guard,
I steal to live, but your diligence has shown me that not every one of your kind is an imbecile. Please, return this to its owner, and I look forward to running from you in the near future.
With Love,
Thief-Girl”
His face turned a bit pinker as he realized the compliment, and he stuffed the note into his pocket. Quickly, he ran back to the now tearing man.
“Sir, I’m sorry there’s money missing, but the thief was courteous enough to give it back.”
The man whipped the spots away from his eyes and glared at the guard, “You let her get away? She stole from me! Why didn’t you catch that little bi-“
“Sir! I did not see the thief, she merely threw the wallet to me.”
Devin’s face flushed with anger as the man stomped off. Even in his anger, he felt like the note had given him relief. The thief had complemented him, and even if it was from a criminal, it made him feel good.
Alleria watched as the guard read and reread the letter, smiling to himself. She was glad that she’d actually made him happy, and knowing that she’d meant something to him made her wish she knew more.
After a week of following the boy, Al had learned his habits and hobbies. She knew where he ate, and what secret deals he made. Apparently, he wasn’t the white sheep in the guard family. His dealings consisted of black-market trades, under-the-table bribes, and inside work for thieving crews. She was really starting to like this guy.
One day, she decided to steal in his vicinity. After picking a few pockets and snatching some jewelry, she bobbed around the man Guard-Boy was in charge of. A crew was supposed to rob this guy’s house, but the only way in was a key the guy had with him at all times. They would make it look as though the guard had been overpowered.
She could see the lesser members of the crew hanging around the square, watching the man. As they watched, she bustled past the guy. No one had noticed her, and she slipped off with the key.
~~~
Later, after her loot had been tossed in the apartment, she wandered toward the large estate, the key shifting in her pocket. The marble felt low to her, so she soon found herself upon a roof, leaping to the next.
She jumped houses until she made it to the mansion. All around the boundary, thieves were quietly yelling and cursing. The old man who owned the house was in the middle, pressed to the gate by the crew’s leader. The threats reached her ears, and she couldn’t help but feel sorry for the man.
Slowly her feet moved her toward the back of the building, and she opened the door. It was dark inside, but the moonlight glinted off of metals all around her. She ran down a few halls and found the treasury. Filling her bags with silver, and leaving the gold, she ran to the master bedroom.
The family was out at the opera, so she had time to write an apologetic letter to the man, and explained that if she hadn’t taken the key, he’d have to live in the streets. Setting the key on the note, she exited the estate and jumped back to the front.
They were beating the man; she could see blood on the ground around him. Tears came to her eyes. She forced herself to jump to the fire-escape and climb to the ground. Soon, her cloak was flipped inside out, and her scarf was now a deep red. The chill air froze her heart as she pulled out her daggers.
Slowly, silently, she killed all the minor members, and then prepared for a fight. She leapt into the fray and beat back the large men. They had shock in their eyes, and soon found themselves pleading for life. Purposely, she ignored the guard. She was saving him as well as the victim.
She had the leader on his knees, begging for mercy. The hatred was evedent in her eyes, and her grim smile drove all sanity away from him. He was soon slaughtered, and what was left of his crew scrambled for cover.
She turned and strode toward the man. “Sir,” She bowed respectfully, her bloody blonde hair falling over her shoulders, “I apologize for not coming sooner. Please, return to your home, the back door is unlocked.”
Quickly he thanked her and ran to safety. She was now left with Devin. He started toward her, and was stopped. He had been tied down.
“Please, miss, I… I just…” He looked down, “Thank you.”
She had no reply for him in that instant. Should she tell him? How could she, he didn’t know her.
“What do you know of Alleria Raft?”Her voice was as demanding as possible.
She could see shock in his face, “Well, I don’t know much. She’s never at home when I try finding her, and no one knows where she goes. She lives with two others, and seems to me to be the third wheel there. She deserves to live in a better place than that.” He dropped his eyes again, “She should be with me…”
Silence. He looked into the stranger’s eyes. She nodded and cut him free, giving him no time to catch her as she dashed off. Confusion set into his mind.

Hak
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.... I forgot about Alleria for a while... I'll have to start writing again...
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: