Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Question Time : Storygame of the Month

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> Election Apr 08
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Question Time : Storygame of the Month Reply with quote

It's something that has been in fairly deep discussion recently by the current council.

As I understand it, nominations for SGoTM have struggled for the last couple of months, to the point that (as far as I know) April is the first month since it's conception that hasn't seen a SGoTM vote.

The last two weeks has seen a surge in new storygames though, and in my opinion, May should see SGoTM return in it's former glory.

But what do our Mayoral candidates think about it?

Do they have potential replacement ideas? Do they also want SGoTM back? What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by Smee on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Traveller
Citizen

Topics: 4

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to hear the answer to this...or, alternatively, any other ideas you have for promoting the stories and encuraging more.

Items

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have potential replacement ideas? Do they also want SGoTM back? What are your thoughts on this?

No, I have no potential replacement ideas, but I have an idea of you can post twice a month (Or more, but at least two, becuase many readers have to catch up) on the SGoTM. I think It should return. It is one of the best things If has to offer; a place for a writer to have their own forum. My thought of this is many voters get tired of voting for the old stories which already have a forum of their own. I think they only need encouragement with more writing done to the SGoTMs. ^^
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have potential replacement ideas?

Indeed, I do. And so do many other members of IF that I have discussed this issue with over and OVER again. This issue is something that has been stretched paper thin in the City Council Chambers and I have seen some really nice ideas for it in there. In fact, this discussion is what sparked our change of the Front Page for advertising the "newb-friendly" stories.

I saw a few ideas for rotating the competition between NSGs, Linear stories, normal SGs and experimental SGs. This would definitely be a good idea, in my humble opinion.

Do they also want SGoTM back?

I think this option would best be left to the voters of IF. If they want it, then we could try bringing it back for May (or June as it looks a bit late for that now) and see what we come up with.

What are your thoughts on this?

See above. Wink Smile
sir wax
Citizen

Topics: 9

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of SGotM. I think that it should be a goal every month to do.

I do understand why it would be put on hold, because there is a certain amount of quality every SGotM should possess. And being a monthly deal, sometimes quality gets overlooked for the regularity of this process.

I do also think that SG's that are already SGotM should be able to be nominated again, even if they won a previous month. From what i have seen in the archives, unless i missed one or two, this has not been a utilized system. But i'm sure it's not the first time its been suggested... maybe.

It should also, by winning twice hold a higher place in the forums of If, as well as being a part of the new noob-friendly front page. It only makes sense that good storygames get a higher place in the City. Yet they are fairly hidden to new faces until they 'get' how to navigate around If.

Since i am new here i will ask was the SGotM ever on the front page because of it being the SGotM? EDIT: Yes. Great minds think alike i guess. Smile

We should also have an incentive for people who contribute to Linear, even though it's not as interactive, when people who give suggestions are responded to, it does become a form of interactivity. This is an interactive site first and foremost, however, it is also a reading and writing site.

When mayor i will view what has been suggested in the past and under current discussion in the higher council to rectify this matter and make a more positive assertion on what we can do on this matter.

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When mayor i will view

Confident then eh Wax?
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do also think that SG's that are already SGotM should be able to be nominated again, even if they won a previous month. From what i have seen in the archives, unless i missed one or two, this has not been a utilized system. But i'm sure it's not the first time its been suggested... maybe.

But the point of SgotM is to promote new stories. If we allow previous winners to participate, the probability is that new stories will not be given the opportunity to burgeon.
sir wax
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though that may be a probability D, i believe it wouldn't hurt for a previous winner to be the SG of more than one month. I believe that this will make new SG flourish more, because it will make SG writers, not only read winners that are awarded twice, but give them more of an purpose to shoot higher and raise their standards.

I'm not saying that we should have the same SG nominated and win 12 times in a row, but, i just propose that a previous winner be able to be awarded more than once for the SGotM, be it twice or thrice.

Hope that clears up all that is hazy D.

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of 2 sides on that issue...

First I believe that the best Story should win...if one story wins 12 times in a row it is up to the other authors to step up...

On the other hand...perhaps there is room for 2 awards...one to the NEW SG of the month...in which only SG's started in the previous 30 days could be eligible...and then a SGOTM award that is open to all SG's...including new ones...

...this way we are encouraging the new writers by offering their own reward but also continuing to make the usual suspects strive for greatness...

...and if some month an award gets no nominations or there is no obvious winner...then the title stands vacant and perhaps any Fable rewards could carry over...just a thought on the last part...

...anyway...that's how I feel...you candidates dive into the mud pit I've dug for you and duke it out...

*Pulls up a lawnchair, cracks a beer and waits for the mud-wrestling to begin*

*Edit* after talking to some people in the Inn, we thought that maybe CHAPTER of the month would fit better than SGOTM...so there would be the one for NeW SG's and one, open to everyone called CHapter of the month...just a thought.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the point of SgotM is to promote new stories.

It's to promote good stories, not new ones necessarily.

What do the candidates think of limiting the SGotM to stories that have been going for at least four chapters?

(The reason being is that it's easy to start a SGame, and the early chapters is often more 'exciting' ('cos it's new and fresh), but it's harder to keep a SGame going and going well.)

For the chapter a month thing, it's not a bad idea in one way, but guys, we need to be careful not to have too many things to vote on. They require administrative overhead and it's easy to have too many going at once.

I strongly recommend we only have one SGOTsomething per month, even if it different ones are alternated.
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe that this will make new SG flourish more, because it will make SG writers, not only read winners that are awarded twice, but give them more of an purpose to shoot higher and raise their standards.

Or, they become fatalists and give up. Trial makes or breaks the spirit, but do we really want to make IF a testing ground, or rather a place where any newb can succeed? I know that one of my greatest motivations was that key (keavney in those days) immediately made a forum accesible to me; had I encountered such magnificent opponents in something like SGotM, my young spirit may have waned.

Besides, if old winners can run again, IF will become an even greater oglicarchy, and the more experienced citizens will wield even more recognition. Personally, I feel that IF is a website for growing authors rather than professional writers, so I don't support anything that makes things tougher for newbs.

I'd rather we keep SgotM for stories which haven't won, but instead, make it a two month contest.

Quote:
What do the candidates think of limiting the SGotM to stories that have been going for at least four chapters?

(The reason being is that it's easy to start a SGame, and the early chapters is often more 'exciting' ('cos it's new and fresh), but it's harder to keep a SGame going and going well.)

I'm not a candidate, but I do see the advantage of this. We should try it for a while and see if it works. New writers should learn perseverance; if it doesn't work, we could reduce the number of chapters to three (unless this is the limit already; I should probably check.)
sir wax
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see your concerns D, even veteran writers are sometimes fragile, let me take that into consideration and answer you when i have thought about it some more.

For now? Bed time!

Nigh nigh, If.

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot
Crossfire
Citizen

Topics: 5
Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Time 2- Mr. Smee!

Do you have ideas for things to replace the SGoTM?

(These Question Times seem to overlap quite dramatically! I think I've answered this question at least once before.)

Maybe... but I believe that it would be nice to have it in place side-by-side with my ideas, simply because it's an excellent concept.

Do you want SGoTM back?

I like the idea, but I don't think that winning it should net you too large an amount of increased coverage. Instead, there would be certain... rewards... for people who were given the coveted trophy.

What are your thoughts?

I am wholly thoughtless- apart from the answers I've already given here and elsewhere. Like I said, the Featured StoryGames thing works well...

A Random StoryGame link might be nice as well!

To D-Lotus's musings, I see your point in increasing the amount of time between awards, but I don't feel that it should just be awarded to people who haven't won yet- instead, it should be more difficult to win another if you've already gotten the SGoTM award, and even more so with each successive award.

However, there would be bonuses for winning the SGoTM once or multiple times- perhaps not increased coverage, but other things...

*hints mysteriously at these, and then attends to other topics*

Silent eyes decide the wise and unwise - for one that lies. Let it arise.
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I don't feel that it should just be awarded to people who haven't won yet- instead, it should be more difficult to win another if you've already gotten the SGoTM award, and even more so with each successive award

As in, every time someone wins SgotM, in order to be nominated next time, they must gather in an extra nomination, or win by a greater vote margin?

So, say we use this idea- if you win SGotM once, instead of receiving a nomination and a second, you must receive a nomination, second, and third in order to attend the polls. Or, if this is the second time you run, you must win by a two vote margin?

Is this what you mean by making it harder, crossfire?
Traveller
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the theory behind this...but I think it sounds a little convoluted to be honest...As I said earlier, if a story deserves to win 12 times in a row...then everyone else better step up...I think that SG's that have won before will be judged harder anyways without having to have a second...and a third...and a forth...and a fifth...and a twenty-seventh...if you catch my drift.
Crossfire
Citizen

Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put! I did in fact intend to keep the variety of gradation open to debate, but the idea you've put forward is excellent, and I'm willing to implement it if no one else has a better one.

Traveller, if a StoryGame consistently wins the SGoTM, then no other StoryGame will benefit from it...

If a SG constantly improves or already supremely outclassed other nominees, then it is worthy of consistently winning.

However, if it remains at a similar level of quality that is just out of reach of the nearest competitor, handicaps might give authors the incentive to improve their performance with every chapter if they already hold the trophy, particularly if there are greater and greater rewards with each consecutive win.

Poor quality StoryGames are to be discouraged, but there should still be a means for other StoryGames to gain exposure from the StoryGame of the Month competition, not to mention the rewards...

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before, and no doubt I'll say it again.

Anything that adds complexity or anything other than simple administration won't work.

One vote per month is more than enough to manage. Any 'double nomination' or similar stuff will just confuse people, add to overheads and will fail. I can practically guarantee it.

I'm speaking from experience here, RL and IF.
Crossfire
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I'm open to simpler suggestions. It's a good concept, and I'd like to keep it, but Chinaren has a point.

Please, the floor is open...

I could be wrong, but I think that elections should involve more than high-level politicians, people of great repute and the odd candidate arguing! *smiles*

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Election Apr 08 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: