Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The fair haired princess

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

snow tiger
Resident

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: The fair haired princess Reply with quote

The rain was falling gently outside, the sky held a gray caste.

Inside the limited warmth of her mother's hut, little Thelma sat next to the warmth of the fire, her head between her Grandmother's thighs. The old woman's wrinkled hands plaiting thelma's long fair hair. "Tell us a story Grandmother" the little girl chimed, her voice light as her hair.

"Yes do tell us a story" Thelma's twin sister, Theresa said, the warm shadows of the fire flickering across her face and her light violet eyes. Her already braided her bobbed with enthusiasm.

Grandmother pursed her lips and a slight ruffle went through her ivory hair as she shifted around in her chair.

Grandmother's daughter, also the twins' mother, Azuka looked up from the quilt she was knitting, her dark blue eyes twinkling and a smile playing on her lips. "Do tell them a story, Mother" she said. The old woman considered her daughter for a minute.
Azuka looked just like her father. Long dark hair and midnight blue eyes with the same creamy satiny skin. It was a wonder the twins had managed to look like their Grandmother with the same strange but beautiful violet eyes and not like Azuka or their ruffigan father.

"Alright" Grandmother said, "Now listen very carefully." Even Azuka lent an ear. "Long long ago," the Grandmother began softly, her eyes glazing over and her voice falling into rythm with the soft treading of the rain, "there once was a king. His name was King Red. King Red the Third. He had everything a man could ever want but one thing.

At noght, he lay miserably in his bed wishing for this thing. This thing was a child. 'If only,' he said 'If only i could have a child. It doesn't matter if it is a boy or a girl, i will kiss it and provide it with all its needs as long as it may live'.
His wife, Queen Dearne was miserable. She loved her husband so and his misery cut her ever so deeply. So miserable did she become that she sought out seer after seer but none could help her. She rubbed balms on her stomach, drank foul potions, ate ungainly things, but try as she might, she could not bear a single child.

One fine summer day, as she was crying in her vineyard, a creature appeared to her. It was all the colors of the rainbow and had eyes like the morning sun.

The queen cried out, ffrightened. "Hush, hush now, you need not shout out so" the creature said, soothing her trembling. "What are you?" the queen asked, terror and wonder and awe mixed in her voice. "I am Azuka, daughter of King Djidis
King of the forest Dryads."

"Azuka" thelma squealed excitedly, "thats Mother's name!"
"yes, ver observant of you Thelma. It is your mother's name" Grandmother said patiently, her fingers weaving Thelma's hair. "Hey, I knowed that too" Theresa said sulkily, her eyelashes settling on her milky cheekbones. "Do stop that childish behavior, Theresa. Let Grandmother finish the story. " Thelma admonished. Theresa scowled but kept quiet.

"I am Azuka daughter of the Djidis, king of the forest Dryads.'" Grandmother continued," i have seen your misery and will take pity on you. You shall bear a child". The queen was overjoyed, tears flew down her cheeks and she, forgetting herself, hugged the Dryad. 'but' the Dryad said, 'there is a price'.

'anything. anything' the queen said, for she was drunk with happiness and joy. 'alas!' said the Dryad, 'for the childs life, yours, O! Queen Dearne'

'Very well. My life for the childs' '. The dryad gave her a beautiful wind chime inscribed with runes and set with sapphire as a sign of their agreement and then she vanished.

Later in the Spring, the Queen concieved. The king was overjoyed and arranged for a big ceremony. Large fat turkeys, Peacocks covered with a layer of gold, fried fishes, sweet juisy pieces of goat meat soaked in chicken water. Entertainers were hired and trumpets sounded. People from all four corners of the Earth came to witness the birth of the child and join in the feast.

Then as the celebration began, bad news struck. The baby was dead at birth. The king was plunged once more into misery and locking himself in his tower, refused to eat or drink.

The queen was maddened with grief. What sort of cruel trick was this that the Dryads were playing?
But deep down, the queen still believed. In the winter she concieved again and once moore, all the jesters were called, all the spiciest and sweetest dishes were cooked and messengers ran through out the country. He even had a gold and amber, and scarlet nusery made for the baby.
But alas! cruel, cruel fate would not have it so. the baby was once more, dead at birth.
the king wept and shook his head over the tiny body of the dead orange haired boy that was his son.
Every where rumors began to spread that the Queen was eating her own children while they were still in the womb. The king was enraged and passed a law forbidding anyone to call the Queen a witch. But secretly, he wondered.

late that winter, the king persuaded by his advisors, chose another wife. She was Culdiva, daughter of King Palfor of the land of Alvera. She was red-haired and a most ambitious and wicked person.
Whe Queen dearne was informed, she was full of sorrow and disappointment and anger and locked herself in her room and wept bitter tears.

she brought out the windchime from under her swan feather mattress where she hid it. 'what kind of thing is this, Azuka Dryad? have you not promised me a child?'
then a wind blew in from the window and a melodious tone played on the wind chimes. Sweet tinkling music filled the air and in the wind, a soft whisper. 'A child you were promised, a child i will give you'.

Outside the door, the sniveling Culdiva snorted 'hah! what a foolish woman! she sits in her room and speaks to herself while i take over her palace. what a fool indeed!' and shaking her head, Culdiva left.
come spring, both women concieved. Culdiva was annoyed that her rrival had concieved and performed her wicked arts , killing the baby in the womb.

But the baby was protected by the magic of the Dryads and came back to life. Culdiva was astonished. What kind of magic was this? what kind of magic was this that could resist the hand of Culdiva the Great?

One afternoon, Culdiva went to visit her rival with a kettle of poisoned sweet grass tea.
Queen Dearne, for all she loved her husband was not an especially good or kind soul and refused to see Culdiva.

---------------------------------
DP. What happens now? all ideas, no matter how twisted are welcome.

------------

Last edited by snow tiger on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Phang
Elder

Topics: 25

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. A few mistakes, though - I'm sure someone less lazy can help you with them.

More please. Razz
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the Phang said. I noticed a few mistakes when I was reading it, but none that spring to mind now.

Tea Cures All.
snow tiger
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks 4 critiquing the story guys. all ideas for titles are welcome as the present one is just temporary

i edited it and added a little more

Items

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the queen should take the necklace and put it on the born child. If that is what killed the child then she should carry the necklace and die.
snow tiger
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ofcourse Culdiva was angry but there really wasn't anything she could do. She knew that although the king had married her, his love and chief concern was his first wife. Unless Culdiva could find a way to get rid of her, ofcourse.

Culdiva and the Queen gave to birth at the same time. The Queen's birth giving was a very long and painful one and the King was with her all through, holding her hands. This did not escape Culdiva's notice and her jealousy and hatred towards the first Queen grew.

The queen gave birth to a little girl, tan skinned and pale of hair. The king laughed, tears of joy coursing down his face. in his one hand he held his new baby and in the other his wife's hand. "sweet little baby of mine" he said, "i will call you gwennethfar and you will be showered with attention and gifts.".
Culdiva, also gave birth to a baby girl, but the king did not hold her or coo at her and tell her how lovely and beautiful she was. Culdiva grew angry and threw her child on the floor. A motherly maid took pity on the wailing little baby and took her up and washed her with olive oil and swaddled her in rich soft cotton and brushed her curly brown locks.

Seven days after Gwennethfar's birth, the Queen died. The king grew sorrowful and had Gwennethfar taken away from his presence; he could not bear to look at her. Culdiva seeing her chance swooped in and gave the women of the castle gold to start rumors about the child being the killer of her, accusing the poor defenseless Gwennethfar of witchcraft.
The poor King was so out of his senses that he believed those rumors. But that wasn't enough for Culdiva. She needed the girl to be someplace where the KIng would never remember her or think about her so oneday, when the King was in a rare good mood, she went into his chamber and convinced him to send Princess Gwennethfar away to a certain place, deep deep in the woods.

And so, on a cold autumn day, the princess along with two of her mother's most faithful maids, Heka and Aezli and the two sons of Aezli, andrew and Doel, was sent to live in a cottage deep in the woods.

Gwennethfar didn't know about the outside world. The world, according to her were the familiar woods and the homely cottage. Andrew taught her archery and by the time she was 4 she could string and shoot a yew bow and hit a target 20 feet away. She was very adventourous and got into many scrapes, in one of which she acquired Hester, a sly but friendly Snow python.

Heka made sure she was well behaved. Oneday, as Gwennethfar was playing in the woods, she got lost. Soon the sky grew dark and night came and she became afraid and began to cry. "Gwennethfar" a voice like smoky mist whispered to her. Afraid, Gwennethfar huddled into a ball and sobbed. "Don't be afraid" the voice was next to her now. trembling, she looked up. beside her was a strange woman with smoky green skin mottled with blotches of pink. "who are you?" gwennethfar asked

----------------------'
what should she do? freak or calmly converse with Azuka?

Items

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good! SnowTiger. I'm really enjoying this. So the mother died and the daughter met someone new in the woods. *sigh* I only wish my sis was that interested in her story she wrote last year, it seems that the only option in this story is to get the help she needs from the dryad lady and get out of the woods safely. Maybe learn new theing about these beings.
snow tiger
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The woman smiled. " I am Azuka, daughter of Djidis, king of the forest dryad"

Gwennethfar's eyebrows furrowed. "You bear a strange name Azuka Dryad. And why is your skin this color? Heka and aezli's skin looks like mine. Yours is..well, different" Azuka rose to her full height, tall and willowy. "Does not the one who calls herself heka teach you any manners?"

Now this would be a very mean sentence, but that she said it casually, in a pleasant tone. Gwennethfar bowed her head, knowing how Indignant and ashamed of her Heka would be if she ever heard of Gwennethfar's rude words. "Sincere apologies" she said, lifting her head and looking not quite at Azuka dryad but not quite away from her, just like Heka had thought her.

"Never the less" Azuka Dryad said, "You do have a right to know about about me, as it would help you discover who you yourself are".
"Why what do you mean? I'm me, Gwennethfar" Gwennethfar replied in a puzzled tone. Azuka Dryad looked away from her and let out a long sigh. if Gwennethfar had been able to speak the language of the trees, she would hear them sighing too and murmuring, 'how little you know, how little you know' but of course, as she didn't, all she heard was a soft rustling among the trees as if a breeze had whistled through their leaves.

"But do you know what your father's name is? what your last name is? Do you know where you come from? And do you ever wonder what it is Doel and Andrew are talking about when they speak of a certain thing they call a town and which for some mysterious reason they call Lomberg?"
Gwennethfar pouted. That was one of her sore spots. Aezli, Doel and Andrew were known as Aezli Murleg, Andrew Murleg and Doel Murleg, and Heka was Heka Witherwood.
When she'd demanded to know what her father's name was, they'd all turned away and found something to do. Then there were, of course the times she'd walk in on Doel and Andrew talking about something named Lomberg and they'd get upset and call her words Heka had forbidden her to use. Then Heka would come running demanding to know what was going on, then scold the boys. Aezli would join them and tell Heka it wasn't there fault and that maybe Gwennethfar ought to stop listening in on people's conversation.
The truth was that Gwennethfar hadn't been listening to them, hadn't meant to walk in on them and just wanted to know what Lomberg was, but Aezli would just call her a lying good for nothing witch and storm away then when Gwennethfar asked Heka what a 'witch' was, the woman would just tell her to go to her room for a while.

True she spent most of her days exploring the vastness of the forest, practicing archery with Doel and Andrew and ofcourse teaching Hester new tricks but sometimes she did wonder if there was something they were keeping from her. A secret. But she would always sign that off as prepostorous. Doel and Andew keep something from her? Why those two could barely keep their mouths shut, much less keep a secret.
And Heka and Aezli keeping a secret from her? she couldn't even imagine that ever happening. Heka and Aezli never kept anything from her. never.

Suddenly her eyes grew hard and suspicious and she drew away from Azuka Dryad. "How would you know Doel and Andrew spoke about Lomberg?" she asked, her eyes suspicious and her voice accusing "You would have to be spying on us to know that!"
Then she gasped and began to back away from the strange green skinned demon. "Oh i know. you're one of those strange forest demons that lure children into traps and eat them, aeren't you? Oh! Heka and Aezli warned me about this! you ugly child eating monster! how dare you approach me!" Gwennethfar picked a rock and hurled it at azuka.
The woman watched the stone swim through the air calmly. it hit squarely between the eyes with a dull thunk then fell to the floor.
Where the stone had struck her a huge gash was visible. A trickle of blood, dark rich red etched with crimson rolled from the wound. then another. and another. and then the blood flowed from the wound like water, rolling down the Dryad's fair face.

Her green eyes flashed but she remained sitting. Gwennethfar's hand flew to her mouth, and she stared white faced at the woman who seemed not to notice the volume of blood rushing down her face.
it was then that Gwennethfar knew she'd made a mistake. this was no demon. Demon blood was foul and dark as night but the blood flowing from this woman was as red as the blood of any other creature.
"Don't you ever wonder if they're keeping something from you?" the woman asked calmly, blood rolling down her cheeks and interlacing on her thick long eyelashes.

Unbidden, an image came to Gwennethfar's mind. She'd just discovered a new path in the forest. Heka seemed upset and was telling her not to ever go down that road, no matter what. It was the forbidden road.
She wanted to run but she stayed fixed there, as if held by some power.
"You want to know what you are?" The Dryad whispered, her voice barely a whisper, dry and rusty "You are a princess, Gwennethfar. Princess Gwennethfar. Princess Gwennethfar, Princess Gwenne....."
The girl screamed, then turned around and ran from the strange woman, 'Princess Gwennethfar' pounding in her ears and temples. repeating over and over again.

Last edited by snow tiger on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
snow tiger
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off, the latest post of the fair haired princess has many mistakes and typos in it, and for this i am truly sorry.

second, all forth coming ideas are welcome. thank u
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i finally got around to reading this.

There are a lot of typos and errors in this; I'd suggest going over it a couple of times. In the very first sentence, caste should be cast. Bad sign when the very first sentence has a mistake in it.

Lot of capitalization errors as well as mistaken words.

That said you do very well with capturing the tone and idea of classic fairy tales. It really feels like someone is telling a story. The imagery is detailed. Every word is in pretty much the exact right place for that fairy tale feel.

Still, seeing the wrong words kinda dampens the effect.

Anyways, a good effort!

If you clean this up a bit better, it'll probably go into the Forest in no time.
Lady of the Shadows
Resident

Topics: 4
Location: In the Valley of Shadows...Not such a bad place to be.

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Snow!

Woohoo!

Good job!

As DMW said, there are some capitalisation ( is that the word?) errors. But other than that, Congrats to you on another excellent chapter!

That means: I love!

Also, is this a linear?

If you look long and hard into the deep of the abyss, you will find me. In the last rays of the lingering sun, you will find me. But I will not return to you yet.
snow tiger
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Lady

As to your second question, i'm not sure.
snow tiger
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Do be a darling and pass the bread basket Gwen, would you?"
They were all sitting around a small wooden table, talking and laughing cheerily. A lamp hung overheard, casting a yellowish glow to the small room. A gentle wind blew through the open window, accompanied by tiny buzzing mosquitos.
Gwennethfar tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ears and passed the basket.

"Mother, this soup is delicious" Doel complimented. Aezli gave her red haired son a dimpled smile "Thank you Doel, but nobody is touching that pie until tomorrow"
Today had been baking day and both the boys were dying for a slice of cake or some pie. The delicious smell of Aezli's apple pie still hovered in the air, making everyone itch for pie.
Doel sighed and Andrew smirked at him. "Well that worked out wonderfully" he said. Doel glared at him. "It's not like you could do better. Atleast i tried."

"Well you better tell that to that possum you're eating because i was the one who caught it, and what did you catch today, dear brother?"
"Oh i would catch something-- and not a possum-- if we didn't live in the middle of no where" Doel muttered under his breathe, his brown eyes darkening.

Aezli gave him a silent glared, casting a sideways glance at Gwennethfar to make sure she had heard nothing. The child, oblivious to what was going on around her was trying to catch a firefly hovering above her head.
Sighing, she glanced at her sons. Both were powerfully built and strong, handsome. Doel was red haired and fair of face. Whenever the summer came, his face and shoulders were covered in thousands of tiny little freckles
Andrew was the older by a year and by far the better looking of the two. he was slim and fast, with a handsome winning face. He was tan from the heat of the summer and he could sweet talk a tiger into staying still while he brought an ax down on its neck.

They were both a decade and eight years. Doel was right. If they were back at Lomberg, they would both be meeting charming girls, and hopefully, courting.
But no, they were here in the Forest, and they both swore they wouldn't go anywhere without their Mother. They wouldn't leave their mother here alone with no man to take care of her.

"Heka?" Gwennethfar spoke up so suddenly Aezli almost jumped. "Yes dear?" Heka spread apple marmalade across a slice of last week's bread.
"What is a princess?" Heka froze, her mouth open, the bread halfway in.

Doel's face flushed and Andrew looked away. Aezli looked about ready to die.
Heka bit a slice of bread, chewing slowly.
Her eyes went to Doel and Andrew flashing angrily. Did those boys have to discuss such matters when the child was about? What had they told the poor girl?!

She swallowed hard. Using a small handkerchief, she patted her lips.
She looked around and bit on her lower lip, all the while trying to remain calm. She cleared her throat. "Where did you hear that word, Gwennethfar?"

Gwennethfar bit her lips and looked like she was about to cry. Heka only called her by her full name when she was in trouble. "From Azuka" Gwennethfar whispered, her lips dry.
Heka's gaze darted to Aezli, her eyes troubled. "I see. And where is she from? Who is she?"
Gwennethfar's lower lips trembled and she began to sob. "Who is she?" Heka repeated firmly.
" S-She said she was 'of the Dryads'"
Aezli's eyes widened. Doel looked like he'd just seen a ghost. "Excuse me" he said, pushing his chair back. "I think I forgot eh, ehm, something" he fled from the room.
Andrew followed.

Heka stood, her chair scraping across the floor. she swayed weakly. She knew who that was. Her mistress had told her about the Dryad just before entrusting Gwennethfar's care into her hands.

"Stay here Gwen" she said, her voice hard. Gwennethfar bobbed her head, her hair a shiny halo in the light of the swinging lamp. A chilling breeze, strange for a summer night blew in the window.

A chill went down Heka's back, and she could feel the hairs on her arm rising. She hurried to the window and closed it, shutting the latch.

Aezli met her in the kitchen. " Azuka the Dryad" Aezli whispered, "Isn't that the Dryad the Mistress told us about?" Heka nodded yes.
"Why can't these creatures keep themselves out of people's lives?" Aezli scowled

"Well what do we do now?" Heka whispered, her voice troubled "The girl isn't safe. I don't trust those creatures. Do you remember Isreal?"

Aezli nodded. Isreal's story was famous. He was a poor old miser that worked hard to put a roof over his wife and little ones. He had worked hard and managed to grow some corn in his tiny plot of land. The day before Harvest, he refused to give his last penny to a strange woman who had promised him riches in exchange for his last coin, and that night, his whole farm was burned down-- with his wife and children in it. He had gone mad and died of grief.

What no body knew was that the woman had been a poor beggar and had asked for naught but a bucket of water to wash her feet in, and had granted Isreal's wife and children passage into their magical 'turning' They were now Dryads, thir human bodies given up for a better life.

Isreal had asked that his land, which was a dreadful reminder of his years of pain be destroyed, burnt down.
Isreal's passage into dryadhood was harder. he had been in his body longer and was much closer to it, so it took some time for his mind to readjust to his new Dryad body. During this time, the mind needed somewhere to stay while it moved across, so it half of it had stayed in his human body, while half entered his new body.

All this I learnt later on. but that is yet to come" The Grandmother smiled at her two Grandchildren.

Heka and Aezli did not agree on what course of action to take. Heka wanted Doel and Andrew to relay a message to the king, telling him to take Gwennethfar and to tell him about the Dryad's visit. Heka said there was absolutely no way she was allowing her 'darling boys' out into the Forest at such an ungodly hour.
Who knew what was lurking out there?
Meanwhile, neither knew where the boys were.

--------------------------------------------
So where are the boys?
and what's going to happen?
You decide!

Last edited by snow tiger on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say the boys have gone to a place far further into the forest where they met the Dryad before, and are trying to contact her.

Tea Cures All.
snow tiger
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the two women argued, Doel and Andrew had snuck out the house unnoticed.
"I still don't see why we should be doing this" Doel said gruffly. Andrew, the younger of the two turned to face him. "Because Doel," he explained patiently "We told her we would tell her if there was anything happened"
Doel and Andrew were making their way through the forest, armed with blunt old cutlasses, going to the clearing where they'd met her
"How do you know her intentions are good anyway?" Doel asked, avoiding low branches and trying not to make too much noise. It wasn't working. With every step he took, the undergrowth seemed to crunch louder. Doel wondered how his brother managed to slide through the forest with barely a sound, his lithe frame merely more than a shadow.

Andrew gave an impatient sigh but gave no answer. If that numskull Doel asked one more question pertaining her intentions, he would strangle him. Andrew couldn't believe Doel was related to him, much less older than him. The night they'd first met her, Doel had almost blown the whole thing by telling their mother. A sneer formed on Andrew's lips and the scorn he felt for his brother was discernable in his eyes.

Suddenly his mind was thrown back to the summer night ten years ago when they'd first met her.
He could almost feel the fog on his face and see the blinking fireflies his brother'd told him were nasty little sprites aching for a taste of his brother. he remebered how scared he'd been and how Doel had laughed at him, grabbing him by the arm, a sneer on his round eight year freckled round eight year old face. "Let's go look for snakes 'drew. You're not scared are you? C'mon don't be a baby 'drew, let's go look for snakes I promise i won't let you get hurt" And ofcourse when Andrew had gotten trapped in quicksand, Doel would've taken to his if she hadn't arrived and pulled him out.And then ofcourse Doel had stood by her, pretending to be the responsible and caring older brother.

From the very first time he'd seen her, Andrew had fallen in love. Her eyes were beautiful and slanted, her hair beautiful and long and her face as radiant and as beautiful as the moon. She'd been dressed in shimmering robes that seemed to have the moon and the stars woven into them. She was intoxicating to him. Oh how he long to pull her to him and kiss her full lips and breath in the scent of her hair. But no he'd had to share her with Doel.

She'd told them that they would be going on a trip soon and would they please watch baby Gwennethfar for her? She loved her so and would be heartbroken if anything should happen to her. "For what?" doel had asked "Why should we do it? You have to pay us"
Andrew had been indignant. How dare Doel ask for money from her, his beautiful stately Queen!
But she had smiled and drawn from her robes 3 huge gold coins. Doel's eyes had shone with greed and he'd said yes. She warned them not tell anyone of their encounter with her. Or they would pay.
Late that night, while Andrew lay sleepless in bed thinking of her, she had appeared in his room and drawn him to her and pressed his face in her bosom. She loved him and only him she'd said. She much like Doel, not at all. Her heart was for only him, Andrew. Then she'd told him of how Gwennethfar's mother, Queen dearne, had killed someone very dear to her, a friend, and how Gwennethfar must pay with her own life. He'd told her he would do anything for her and she'd smiled at him, that beautiful smile that clouded his mind. Then she'd kissed him goodnight, her lips soft on his face and left.

Ofcourse he'd never told Doel. Why should he? She belonged to him and him alone. Doel was just doing it for the money. He casually let his hand slip to the little leather pouch sewed to his shirt, feeling the edge of the knife hidden in it. He jerked his finger back immidiately. The knife was so sharp that it had actually cut a hair he placed on it. He was sure of his decision. Atfirst he had been reluctant but than she'd told him that if he didn't do it, then Doel would kill him and then she had recounted to him how Doel had tried to violate her, tears in her eyes.

That had done it. He trembled with rage just thinking about it. How dare the filthy pig try to touch her! She was his and his alone!
Whe he'd said yes, a beautiful smile had spread across her face and her eyes shone. She'd kissed him again with those soft, soft lips

He looked up at the sky. The moon was still rising. Anxiously, he hurried his pace. They were supposed to meet in the clearing when the moon was high. She did not like it when he was late. Irritatedly, he glanced behind him. It amazed him that a forest devil, or a bush baby or a demon hadn't found them yet from the amount of noise his brother was making. Oh well. Tonight, he wouldn't evr be bothered by his brother again. Tonight, Doel would bother him no more.
snow tiger
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moon was high in the sky by the time they got to meeting place she had chosen. It was an irregularly shaped clearing covered with short grass. It was also a good meeting place because it was surronded on all sides by thick dense undergrowth and snaring brambles covered with sharp wicked thorns.

Doel could smell her perfume long before he saw her. It was a thick scent, like spices. Cloves and something else. He wasn't sure what it was but it gave him a headache. His mind went back ten years to that night, that night when he'd first seen her.

Andrew had been annoying him all day, begging him to play 'Hunter' with him. Ofcourse that was easy for Andrew to say; HE wasn't the one that had had to work from sun-up till sun-down, breaking his back on the fields because Father was sick; no, Mother had insisted that Doel do it. Thoroughly annoyed with the little pest, Doel had baited him into going snake hunting at an abominable hour of the night.
Doel knew he shouldn't manipulate Andrew like that but Doel was too angry for words.
Earlier that day, when he was looking for firewood( yes Mother insisted that Doel do that too), Doel had found a small quicksand pool. And that was where he led Andrew now. He didn't really intend to let his brother drown; Mother would surely die of heartbreak. he just wanted to scare Andrew.
Andrew, stupid bigot that he was, had thrashed around so much when Doel had attempted to drag him out of the quicksand. Doel, thoroughly irritated had started to stalk off to get a branch when she had appeared out of nowhere.
He had listened, his eyes big as saucers, as she narrated to him and his starstruck brother the evils of Queen Dearne and the catastrophies her daughter Gwenneethfar would cause if she was not properly disposed of. She had put it into their heads that these 'catastrophies' would somehow affect Mother; and Doel couldn't have that happen could he?

She had cajoled him into accepting three gold coins from her, much to Andrew's dismay. But Doel was not about to turn away the much needed money.
Later that night, she had appeared to Doel and prophesied her love for him, which he had spurned. She then turned to offering him his family's protection from all sorts of evil. except his father. 'He's too far along', she had told him. Doel had cried himself to sleep that night, knowing that his father was going to die.

Over the years Doel had grown to love Gwennethfar as his own. But not as much as he loved Mother. No, not nearly as much.

Doel looked around the shadow covered clearing nervously. Where was she?

Suddenly a shadow detached itself from the undergrowth and stepped into the moonlight. It was her. Her long red hair seemed to have dark shadows clinging to it and her eyes, dark and deep were shady. Doel did not trust this woman, did not like the way her robust crimson red lips curved in a distantly sinister smile.
yes, she was beatiful but her beauty was like that of a fox that was waiting to pounce on you. And he especially did not like the way she looked at Andrew. Like a vessel. Doel knew Andew fancied himself in love with her. He also knew she pretended to return his feelings, but he could see the look of disdain hidden under the shallow loving looks she threw at Andrew.

"So how fares the child?" She purred in a voice Doel felt was too nauseating.
"She won't find out about who she really is, M'Lady' Andrew said, his eyes glittering with that look that is common to lovestruck idiots who blatantly refuse to open their eyes to the real world.
"She's doing fine. Really healthy too" Doel said. He noted the way her eyes flickered over him with displeasure. He smirked back at her. Make your worst face at me, witch, he thought, It's not going to make a difference. I'm not addle-brained Andrew.

For some reason she smiled at him in a strange manner. He shifted uncomfortably next to Andrew, he was yapping away about the 'progress' they'd made. He wished Andrew would shut up already and just get to the point.
He gazed at the sky, startled to see the light violet blue tint that announced the coming of dawn. The color reminded him of Gwennethfar's eyes.

Suddenly, he didn't want to be here. He wanted to be home telling her some far-fetched story, cradling her as she fell asleep. It was like a veil was lifted from his eyes. He looked at her again. He suddenly knew who she reminded him off. The Queen. King Red's seond wife. He understood finally, that it was not Queen Dearne or innocent sweet Gwennethfar that was the evil one here. It was her. Why would anyone avenge themselves on a poor sweet innocent heart? She was just a child.

Doel turned to bolt into the forest but found himself tackled to the floor by his brother. "Andrew what are you doing?!" he cried through clenched teeth, gasping for air. "What I have longed to do all this years, brother" Andrew screeched, laughing in a deranged manner.
Culdiva stood of to the side, laughing, watching. Doel hated her. With every fiber of his being he hated her.
Struggling to his feet, he managed to throw Andrew off. But the bungle brained idjit was relentless. He threw himself at Doel again, still laughing like a mad man. "For you! for you!" he called gleefully at Culdiva, who forced a smile at him.

Doel's eyes widened as he saw Andrew whip a knife through the air. His brain exploded in a thousand bursts of red, and he knew only pain. Again, his brother, his own flesh, stabbed him. Again and again and again. He tasted something bitter as liquid filled his mouth and lungs. "Get away from him!" A new voice siad.
This voice was not like the sly sweetness of Culdiva's voice. This voice was like being covered in cool running water, soothing his jagged mind.

He heard Culdiva scream, then a thump. "No!" that was Andrew's voice now. He heard another scream then a sound that was surely Andrew's body hitting the forest floor.
He felt cool slender fingers touch him and suddenly the worst of the pain was gone, chased away by the touch. And then there was nothingness.
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: