Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
SG Idea Competition Winner Announced

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: SG Idea Competition Winner Announced Reply with quote

SG Idea Competition
Simple rules, simple concept, 200 Fable prize. Write your interesting, daring, comical, experimental or otherwise noteworthy idea for a new storygame as a post in this thread. After two weeks of collecting entries, we'll start a poll and whoever gets the most votes wins the 200 Fables from my treasury.

I'll hold my vote till the end in case I need to break a tie, everyone else is free to vote however they like. What do I get out of this? Think of it as marketing research to see what kind of ideas appeal to people. Aside from that, I like to see competitive creativity. If you're very worried about people stealing your idea, I suppose it won't hurt to keep it a secret. Honestly, I think it's a good way to gain readership to advertise an idea before it arrives so people have something to look forward to. Besides, we don't steal from each other in IF.

Here's a bullet list for you organized types:
    * Post a concept for a storygame

* Vote for a concept

* Winner gets 200 Fables

* Deadline September 8th

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.

Last edited by Lebrenth on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
PilgrimSoul
Resident

Topics: 4

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concept: Ghost story inversion.

Description: A dead man who's being haunted by the living. Audience choices would be what the final moments of his life entailed, and would effect his status/situation in the underworld.
Ingrothechundyer
Royal Arch-Mage

Topics: 63

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* now you've done and done it Lebby. You've got me thinking about an SG idea and I can't seem to stop thinking until I get something figured out Sad

I think it would make a good story but I'm still trying to think of how this could even be pulled off well as an SG... Especially if the evil readers that kept messing with Eango's Tale are still around Wink

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Concept: The story revolves around a group of people working in the shipping department for a small custom shop back in the “good” old days before the major package carriers started to use the Internet for their pickups and some of them insisted that you use their computer for your work.

The SG tends to lead towards humor as many bizarre situations come up on a regular basis. The DPs are also varied. In some the readers set up the situations the employees have to deal with. Other times the reader gets to decide how best to deal with the situation presented.

While not actual DPs reader input into how the department should change over time will tend to lead to changes. However the end result might not always be what the reader expects Wink

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The current cast:

We have a full time worker with an unusual approach to trouble solving and a serious dislike for phone tech support. For example, after he spent 20 minutes on the phone with a FedEx tech support rep trying to fix a stuck key on the keyboard, several other employees came over to help him find where the keys had landed.

There is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this. After being told to “turn the keyboard upside down and burp it like a baby” for the 5th time he was told he wasn't burping it hard enough. So of course he “turned it over and burped it” quite vigorously with a rubber mallet to make sure that he “burped” it hard enough. Every should realize that it should have worked out fine since he used a rubber mallet instead of a hammer.

We have another full time worker that is very good at following instructions to the letter but sometimes doesn't think through all the consequences of his actions.

“You want me to take these 4' x 8' sheets of cardboard and build a doghouse around the product? You've got it!”

20 minutes later... “Um... how do I get out again?”

We need to lift these 4' x 8' bundles of foam upstairs? “Let me get in the man basket on the forklift and just load them on top of me.” “Are you sure you can pick them up?” “Yes” 15 minutes later... “Uh can you lower the basket (and myself) to the floor and take the stacks of foam off? I can't pick that much weight up when crouched like this...”

And of course the part time gopher that gets to talk to tech support when available. “How about I tell you what I've done so far and you can follow along on your script and tell me what I forgot... Then would you please escalate me to level 3 so they can send us another new printer.”

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The story takes place in the area that was sacrificed for the shipping department. Since it is a small custom shop space is at a premium and things aren't always where one would like them to be.

For example the boxes, 4' x 8' sheets of foam, 4' x 8' sheets of cardboard, and other packing materials are stored right about 10' away from where the items are being boxed and shipped. The only problem is that they are on top of the offices next door so you have to walk 10' to get to the stairs in order to climb up, find your boxes, yell real loud to make sure everyone is out of the boxing are, and then toss your boxes down.

There is a small 20' x 26' “warehouse” with racks that are 14' high. The product is almost always carefully stacked when it is stored. However sometimes people get in a hurry and aren't as careful as one would like when removing product.

The actual “shipping” area is a dusty 20' x 10' area with two inspection tables, 3 computer systems, 2 desks, and of course more product all stuffed in randomly as much as it can fit. Naturally the desks are where the “shipping” folks do finish sanding on the products (without dust collection). It is carefully set up so if they turn around they can use the computers to generate the shipping paperwork for the product before they start boxing it if the computer is free.

When preparing skids tables are movable to free up the space to prepare the skids for shipment. Of course this does lead to some debate about what to do with the skids while waiting for the truck to pick them up...

And of course while the “sanding” desks aren't usable they can move the keyboards on the “shipping” desk and resume sanding...

For some strange reason it seems that something breaks on the computer systems every other day. This leads to various interesting reactions depending on who is there at the time and what just broke.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

OT but please feel free to bring any issues with the above post (PM or new topic please Smile I don't want to sidetrack Lebby's competition any more then I already have...) to my attention. Reading this over I noticed that I have slipped quite a bit since Raven was working on getting me to understand what I was doing wrong Sad
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one i've had on back burner for a while.

A fantasy world where golems exist. These golems are relics of an ancient builder civilization. The art of making them is lost, and these golems are now incredibly valued.

You can bond a golem simply with a drop of blood in a special spot. It then serves the source of the blood in perpetuity until that source dies.

The golems tend to be large and bodyguardish, armored with giant weapons, though a few serve as mounts. They aren't very intelligent, for the most part, and follow their owner's commands to the letter unless the owner is in danger. When their owner dies, they immediately freeze in place.

Our story begins with a teenager who has his own golem, except it's shaped like a small monkey. So not altogether a very imposing golem, but still valuable. It turns out that this particular golem is actually intelligent.

(Stuff happens here that I don't want to spoil, so I'll just give a general idea for some hooks.)

Probably some part with people attacking him to get the golem. Then, he hears about a place where people who own golems can gather in peace, without fear of being murdered in their sleep for their valuable possessions.

And some more stuff happens.

This is probably fantasy adventure, with a little bit of those old folk tales of smart but weak hero outwitting stupid but strong villains.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the posts so far! I'm sure there are a lot more ideas out there, and just in case anyone was wondering, I really don't mind multiple entries from the same author. It would be inappropriate if I competed for the prize, but just for the sake of sharing I'll add some of my own ideas that I've considered recently. Just for fun, you know?

The Spirit of Adventure: The crew of an enchanted golden ship explores parallel worlds to collect the best folklore of humanity.

Murder in the Intergalactic Garden: A murder mystery set on a spaceship made from the last remaining piece of Earth. In the Garden, where no technology is allowed, the cartographer is murdered by an electron accelerator.

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, I've got ten cents here I'm going to throw in.

This one I was actually going to start work on.

Concept: Steampunk style Detective noir.

Description: In an alternate 1930's America, where Zeppelin travel is the dominant means of air traffic, and art deco automatons are an everyday part of our lives, a young private-eye and his quirky assistant have stumbled onto a mystifying case of murder, mayhem, and mind stretching leaps of logic.

And then this one.

Concept: Modern society meets Fairy Tale

Description: When five potent magical artifacts are accidentally released in our dimension from the fairy tale word next door, they force unsuspecting people to live out the tales trapped inside them...for good or for ill.

"Music makes you braver."
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 5 days left! I take my deadlines very seriously, so if anyone is still thinking about throwing in an idea or two, get to it! So far we have 5 ideas for the poll:

Ghost Story Inversion
    Bizarre Shipping Department
    Blood Golems
    Steampunk style Detective noir
    Modern Society meets Fairy Tale

Shillelagh
Citizen

Topics: 20

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Future Person Romance Thing?

So, once again, this fragment is mostly a setting with scarce bits of characterization and plot.

The general idea is that at year x, time travel is invented. It's a sketchy start, but eventually it becomes fully regulated, boundaries are set, criminals are mostly apprehended, ect... but it soon becomes very evident that there is a huge catastrophe event in the year x + 50. All attempts to investigate the cause of this event fail, and all investigation teams fail to return. Ideas and theories run rampant, but nothing seems to work. So, in a last ditch effort, humanity packs up in year x + 48 and moves- not to another planet, but to another time. Time travellers are/have been living among us, continuing their time line in tandem with the 'true' timeline. Humanity still progresses, has technological breakthroughs, the occasional war and such... but it does so in the past, in secret.

There is some sort of official government office in charge of keeping the future secret. Their main job is to regulate the letter system- every person writes a letter at the end of the day, describing how it went, so that it can be sent to their past selves, to preserve continuity. There are also official command letters, and sometimes a 'year in review' sort of thing- but the point is, they lives their lives according to what their future selves told them. They still have really good healthcare, so sometimes families need to theatrically fake illness and then relocate to a different time. Did you really lose touch with your childhood friend when he moved away to Canada? Or did he actually move into a different time? The official government office thing determines who has access to what time- the further in the past, the more training and clearance you need to live there, though vacations are okay. Dunno what future people would do for jobs / why they'd need to move.

Sometimes key historical figures turn out to be future people, though usually they're obscure ones. Some kid gets named 'Eli Whitney' after his grandfather, his family gets relocated, and suddenly he gets a letter one day telling himself he's that Eli Whitney, and he must now invent the cotton gin. Most of the founding fathers turn out to be future people- it wasn't luck in their favor, it was future knowledge. Except George Washington. He's a past person- despite all of the future parents giving their children that name in hopes that his destiny is to be that person.

The story involves 'entrenched in the system future girl', who one day gets a letter saying she is supposed to reveal the whole thing to her 'angsty challenge the system past boy' boyfriend. This is a huge deal, because it's never happened before. But you have to do what you tell yourself, so he's let in on the secret, and becomes an honorary future guy. He challenges the system, getting into a huge free will vs fate battle, and also challenging time travel continuity concepts. At one point, he writes incorrect/fake letters to himself. It turns out she realizes this, and tells herself to edit his letters. Angst fight. He'd probably also try and travel to a random time and mess with it, or take future knowledge and mess with his present. Also, at the climax he'll try and travel to year x + 50, maybe? I haven't figured out what motivates the two to stay together- he'd probably try and break up out of shock, and she'd probably want to break up after he starts acting like a huge jerk. And also the government would probably step in and stop the situation before/as it happens, since all of the things he would do in reaction are illegal. So, a lot of the story is kinda hard to smooth over without just giving up and throwing on a lampshade. A lot of things happen 'because they just gotta, for narrative interest's sake.'

Ihniwid Chapter 5 is up- find it here!
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for joining in Shillelagh! I like the concept; time travel can be very fun. It reminds me of a funny idea I had the other day of a door to door time travel salesman.

Everyone who has been waiting for a dramatic last second entry should know that this is the last day for entries! Any entry posted after 11:59pm(PST) will not qualify for the competition. After the polling begins, I would like to encourage everyone to comment on other people's ideas, if they want to. Developing the SG concept before beginning to write a chapter can be very helpful, after all, and it can be something we can all learn from.

Voting will last another 2 weeks, making this a swift little competition with 1 lucky person walking away with distinction and a prize. Thanks to all participants for making this happen!

Last edited by Lebrenth on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm finally ready to throw in my 2 bits.

You created a whole Decision Point style with your last SG. It was brilliant, really, because a truly great SG often incorporates a unique style of DP tha is repeatable throughout each chapter, as was done in Stoat's No Good Deed, where the DP was always the same question: How do we fulfil a wish in such a horrible way that it might successfully get us fired as a fairy godmother?

So I'll suggest something with this sort of thing in mind, something you might be able to incorporate into your most recently invented DP style, a question and answer session to explore the aspects of the story.

A man gets lost in the timestream of Earth, always brought somewhere near a key event in history. The quest is for him to continue to figure out what the event is before it happens so he can be there to witness it, or perhaps to discover a way to survive it. If he can get through them all successfully, he will have learned some key thing from each of these experiences that he must then take with him back to the present to deal with his current problems, a host of emotional, financial, physical, and mental difficulties he faces before being sucked into the time vortex.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wait... then there's this one I always had in the back of my mind but probably won't ever use...

In the near future, the leaders of the world's nations realize that peace cannot be had without a war to determine the one government which will emerge to rule the world as a whole. They plan this war, obviously a nuclear one, where all of the most terrible weapons invented will be unleashed, and rather than allowing themselves to be destroyed, they agree to create a satellite that will carry them in stasis for years in orbit while the planet recovers.

Some of the best of the best in all nations are given passage aboard this ship, including our protagonist (or perhaps protagonists). However, not all goes according to plan. When we awaken from our stasis, only half the time expected has elapsed and most aboard the ship are dead. The question is... why? And what's become of the planet below?

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Sugar Plum F
Tourist

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few ideas, most of them fit only for children's stories but a few might work in this setting.

One idea I found particularly humorous was about a vegetable garden. All of the different types of plants are minding their own business trying to grow to their full potential until one day the cat informs them that the minute they reach their goal they will all be killed and eaten. All the vegetables panic at this announcement until one humble bean sprout suggests they not grow any bigger. That's when the game starts as everyone tries to figure out a way for them to stop growing. This may prove slightly more difficult than expected considering they are vegetables and can't actually move.

My other good idea is set in the uncertain times of America's rugged frontier days when life was as hard or as forgiving as the land you cleared for yourself. This tale starts with a young widower. As he's digging a grave for his wife and unborn child, he finds an old medallion. It looks Incan or something and he keeps it, hoping to get some money out of it so he can sell his farm and move farther into the frontier. The first night he has the trinket, he has vivid dreams. The next few days odd little things happen on the farm but only odd enough to make him think he's just being paranoid. That night he dreams of his wife and the child they would have had. The next morning she is suddenly back cooking his breakfast. His joy soon turns to concern as other beings start to appear. The rugged frontiersman finds himself somewhere between utter bliss and homicidal horror. He's just not sure if he's a little closer to heaven or falling into hell.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: No good ideas go unpunished Reply with quote

That's it! No more SG ideas (at least for the competition). This place is now a free for all for discussion, and I'll put the poll up in just a moment. The contenders:

Ingrothechundyer
Royal Arch-Mage

Topics: 63

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many ideas!

I will have to think on this one :/
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groovy, that's a lot of great ideas! I know which one I would vote for if I wasn't waiting to break a tie (if there is one). I love mysteries, supernatural events, and the 19th century, so I would love to see a western story with strange and bizarre events. And I'm not just saying that because I married the person who made the suggestion.

I'm also very interested in the stasis ship. Sometimes setting boundaries forces a story to focus on characters and the situation, and being trapped on a doomed satellite would force the protagonist to focus on the mystery or die. Dig it. Plus who knows what sort of things happened while the protagonist was sleeping.

I would also like to tip my hat to the steampunk detective story. It sounds like a very intriguing scenario. It would be interesting to learn more about what kind of mysteries the detectives look into.

I also think Shillelagh has a well developed idea, not as he said "scarce bits of plot and characterization". Not only does he have a concept and plot, he has two characters with wonderfully dramatic contrast who are also bound to each other. It's best developed idea of the list, if you ask me, and shows the author has a lot of foresight for his stories.

I'm hoping to get a dialogue going here, I think it could really help us develop our stories. I think secrecy is actually our enemy, because we're often too busy hiding our ideas instead of getting feedback for them. If anyone wants to hear input on one of their ideas, either in the competition or not, just say so here, and we'll talk about it.

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it! Poll's closed and we have a winner! Congratulations to Kalanna Rai for her idea for an SG:

Concept: Modern society meets Fairy Tale

Description: When five potent magical artifacts are accidentally released in our dimension from the fairy tale word next door, they force unsuspecting people to live out the tales trapped inside them...for good or for ill.

A crossover can be very fun, and I think it can help readers (or participants) to immerse in the story better because they can relate better to more familiar characters. It could also be very interesting to use the classic fairy tales that have lasted the test of time. Many fairy tales are iconic of certain aspects of life, and can really speak to a reader's understanding. This storygame idea has a lot of potential that may find a wide audience.

This concludes the competition, but of course it's always good to share ideas and get feedback, so I encourage everyone to keep searching for those brilliant concepts. I hope everyone had some fun, and maybe we can have another competition soon.

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I've been busy lately but I start work on this soon. Still not sure which items I'm going to go with, five of my own imagining or five from classic tales and myths we've all heard.

Either way I hope you all come along for the ride.

"Music makes you braver."
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll see me there. As far as whether or not to use classic tales, that's tricky. Using the classics is probably a safer bet, but will it be as enjoyable as something new? Maybe a mixture? Maybe you could try one of each to see how the readers respond. You might also try making the classics more realistic by adding grittier details or at least more involved story and description.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Rai! Thumbs Up

Which idea do you want to win the competition?
Ghost Story Inversion
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bizarre Shipping Department
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Blood Golems
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Steampunk style Detective noir
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Modern Society meets Fairy Tale
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Future Person Romance Thing
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Lost in the Timestream
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nuclear War and the Stasis Satellite
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Preventing the Vegetable Garden Holocaust
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Frontiersman Finds Ancient Medallion
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5
Who Voted: Adalia, Crunchyfrog, Cyberworm, Smudger, Vishal Muralidharan

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: