Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Looking for Professors!

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Info Street - FAQs and Guides to the City -> Writer's Academy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

HalfEmptyHero
Headmaster of the Academy

Topics: 33

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Looking for Professors! Reply with quote

Are you a talented writer or teacher? Do you think you have what it takes to help mentor and teach other writers? The City of IF Writer's Academy is looking skilled individuals to help teach classes and/or write manuals discussing writing. Anything from grammar lessons to discussions on symbolism, critiquing, or writing as a form of art is accepted.

But in spite of the Academy's lax view on class subjects, its standards on quality are quite strict. All applicants will be screened for knowledge and ability. In the case of manual writing grammar, spelling, and correctness are of utmost importance. A new professor will submit his work via pm to the Headmaster for acceptance prior to its posting.

If this peeks your interest, I implore you to apply. Reply here or send a pm to the headmaster.
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind running a class on generating plotwork (in particular for a storygame)- lets see how that goes Wink

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could put up titles and then ask us what we want to do? Like what TBird did at the Call to Council? That'd be easier for us to decide Very Happy

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but I think here we need to teach only what we're confident we know intimately - our strengths only. Not a bad idea to get some subject matter suggestions out there but lets not make ourselves squares trying to fit into circles in the process.

Zephyrrr! And...
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't the idea!!

It would be more useful for me to decide If I'm really needed there. Which is probably what you meant by "lets not make ourselves squares trying to fit into circles in the process".

Just trying to help myself Wink

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think you did mean that Vishal. I was saying that if he posts a bunch of predetermined roles, we might incidentally stretch ourselves to fill one we perhaps shouldn't be. That said, I was also saying it was a good idea to propose some topics to teach.

What do YOU feel you can bring to the table to teach in this arena is the best question to answer for those of us interested in teaching I think. But I can also see how getting some ideas on subject matter could be helpful for us.

Zephyrrr! And...
HalfEmptyHero

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Thunderbird on this one, as it is important for someone to know the subject matter he wants to teach. A person who comes forward with confidence and offers his services will hopefully be more qualified than a person who picks an item off a list. That being said, I posted a thread here asking for input on subjects desired as well as a few other things.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Professors! Reply with quote

HalfEmptyHero wrote:
Are you a talented writer or teacher? Do you think you have what it takes to help mentor and teach other writers? The City of IF Writer's Academy is looking for skilled individuals to help teach classes and/or write manuals discussing writing. Anything from grammar lessons to discussions on symbolism, critiquing, or writing as a form of art is accepted.

But in spite of the Academy's lax view on class subjects, its standards on quality are quite strict. All applicants will be screened for knowledge and ability. In the case of manual writing grammar, spelling, and correctness are of utmost importance. A new professor will submit his work via pm to the headmaster for acceptance prior to its posting.

If this piques your interest, I implore you to apply. Reply here or send a pm to the headmaster.
Smile

I would like to do a class about making effective decision points using storychat as the classroom. If this is acceptable, I would need about a week's notice so I can have the lecture prepared, but I could do the class on any day except Sunday and any time between 8am and 8pm PST (my time) or 4am and 4pm GMT.

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for those who can't make it - can we have a transcript posted afterwards?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog wrote:
And for those who can't make it - can we have a transcript posted afterwards?
Surely. It's just a copy-paste job. Maybe I'll even have someone record it for me while it's happening so we can get the timing right. That's assuming the headmaster is interested in having me do the class, of course. Anyone interested in helping me with that?

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you want in the way of help but I may be able to work around Mayoral duties to find some time to assist - I like the topic.

Friday or Saturday 5-8 PST would be good for me among those times, provided there is forward notice. Probably Saturday would be the better of the two.

Zephyrrr! And...
HalfEmptyHero

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Professors! Reply with quote

Lebrenth wrote:
HalfEmptyHero wrote:
Are you a talented writer or teacher? Do you think you have what it takes to help mentor and teach other writers? The City of IF Writer's Academy is looking for skilled individuals to help teach classes and/or write manuals discussing writing. Anything from grammar lessons to discussions on symbolism, critiquing, or writing as a form of art is accepted.

But in spite of the Academy's lax view on class subjects, its standards on quality are quite strict. All applicants will be screened for knowledge and ability. In the case of manual writing grammar, spelling, and correctness are of utmost importance. A new professor will submit his work via pm to the headmaster for acceptance prior to its posting.

If this piques your interest, I implore you to apply. Reply here or send a pm to the headmaster.
Smile

I would like to do a class about making effective decision points using storychat as the classroom. If this is acceptable, I would need about a week's notice so I can have the lecture prepared, but I could do the class on any day except Sunday and any time between 8am and 8pm PST (my time) or 4am and 4pm GMT.

Hah! That was a dumb mistake. I can see it getting mixed up with peaks, but not peeks. In my defense, I was tired when I wrote that.
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Writer's Academy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: