Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Worms of the Wasteland, Ch. 12: Final Execution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

(currently a favorite of 2 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... First time I've seen a five-way tie! :O

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
Shillelagh
Citizen

Topics: 20

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Lebby... you always seem to get the most unusual ties...

Could it be that the real danger of a meta DP is that everyone likes their own option too much to vote for someone else's?

Ihniwid Chapter 5 is up- find it here!
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I think that might be the first time I've seen 20% on all options myself... huh. All are interesting options as well... but then Shille may have a point.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Topics: 75
Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! I missed a couple of fab chappies while I was away. Continuing to enjoy this, Lebby, and looking forward to participating in the next chapter. Smile

And voted, of course. Wink

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Worm Polling Reply with quote

Chinaren, I hate to be the one to tell you, but it appears your name is on fire.

Chinaren wrote:
I meant these two tower people. But of course, they could lay eggs in anything, though the worm skin may be a bit thick to get through.

I would agree, the worm hide certainly should be pretty thick. We'll just say the poll refers to the people.

Looks like I missed the 5 way tie phenomenon! That's ok, it's not like it's a solar eclipse or something.

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Lebs...

You have one day to post another chapter or it shall be moved to the snailstory area.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now, last chapter was last Tuesday and it's still Tuesday where I'm at now Mr. Chinaren. Cool Anyway, I'll post the next chapter now.

Here's how the DP turned out:
Where does the story go?
Worms can transfigure into people, Samar is already dead [ 1 ]
The hlathlu erratically attacks a worm [ 2 ]
Spider starts laying eggs in "them" [ 1 ]
Samar blames the protagonist for the worms, and wants him exiled [ 1 ]
Reconnoiter the worms, find their numbers, positions, and the directions they're going [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6
Who Voted: Chinaren, Muaddib, Shillelagh, Thunderbird, Tikanni Corazon, Vishal Muralidharan

Author Chapter
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Chapter 5: Spiders Have No Sense Reply with quote

Chapter 5: Spiders Have No Sense

“We won’t get anywhere just sitting here,” I said to Samar. “Let’s go to Founder’s Fortress, where we can – Whoa!”

The hlathlu jumped from the top of the tower back the way we came. The wind carried our jump farther than before. It took so long to hit the ground if felt like we had jumped off the edge of the world. We only briefly landed before the spider jumped again, and once more after that, completely ignoring every command I gave it. Then it made a sharper turn before jumping once more and landing on what I thought was a ridge, but when I recognized that it was moving, I knew what it was immediately. This insane spider deliberately jumped onto a bringer of destruction, a great worm.

The hide of the worm was like the hardest leather, but it moved with great speed. It did not seem to notice or care that a large spider with a bewildered rider had landed on it. I could not see the creature’s head, but that was apparently not the spider’s destination. Now that it was on top of the behemoth, the spider turned around and ran to the tail, which tapered off slowly. The tail was significantly suppler. Its movement reminded me of a tongue, and it was slimy. As soon as the spider stepped onto the slick tail, the worm stopped moving forward. The tail whipped around frantically, but not frantically enough. The spider lunged with such force that I was flung away. It sank its teeth in the tender hide of the tail and hung on. It was a good five seconds of thrashing with the spider still holding on and delivering its venom before the wind shifted. Whirlwinds tore away the ground, and whisked me into the air, and as I tumbled midair, the terrible maw of the great worm appeared through the dust.

The creature was enraged. As it opened its enormous mouth, I could see oblivion within, but in a moment it transformed into a hellish furnace. Fire exploded outward and engulfed its own tail. The heat burned me, though I was not even close to the target of this rage. The spider was nothing more than a disintegrating cinder, and the once supple tail was burned black. I was still being carried by wind, completely out of control, and the roar of the worm followed after me, until the worm, and the world itself, were out of sight. I was certain that I was about to die, and it is still hard to believe how I managed to survive.

DP: How does he manage to survive?

Last edited by Lebrenth on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Muaddib
Comrade

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He cuts open the underbelly of the spider and slips inside. It might not smell good but it'll keep out the cold...or in this case the heat.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems you have the wrong idea. The protagonist's problem is that he's been swept up in the wind and he's so high he can't see the ground. The heat is not an immediate threat, though if he survives the fall and lands in front of the worm it could become a problem. But that's for later, and it depends on where the DP takes us.

Any other suggestions?

Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you're right.

In that case I say that the wastelanders find him once more and tend to his wounds.
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He falls into a river, and the wastelanders find him. No damage done. Wink

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Poll Reply with quote

Pretty much we're just determining whether the protagonist is injured or not, but in any case, here's the poll!

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAD a far more creative response for this but I HAVE been really slow to getting my response posts done. Sorry for that. I read this earlier this week (been doing most of my reading off a disk at work - no online connection there so I can't post as soon as I've read... urgh.)

Anyhow, been really enjoying this tale Lebby. And the creative DPs are quite intriguing... you should consider joining the Experimental guild.

Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Polling completed Reply with quote

The poll is closed and the chapter is coming soon. Here are the results:

How does the protagonist survive?
The wastelanders find him and heal him [ 3 ]
He lands in a river, no harm done (wastelanders still find him) [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5
Who Voted: Chinaren, Lebrenth, Shillelagh, Thunderbird, Vishal Muralidharan

Author Chapter
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Chapter 6: Wastelander Medicine Reply with quote

Chapter 6: Wastelander Medicine
I woke up surrounded by people and I was terrified. Not only did I not know where I was or who these people were, my head hurt terribly and I couldn’t remember things. The strange moving worm tent was unfamiliar and more unsettling than the first time. The bed I laid in was being carried by several wastelanders, all of them very grim. The woman, Mina, who helped me raise the alarm, she was there to talk to me, to tell me everything was all right. I did not know her and I was not all right. I demanded answers, and I got sorrowful looks and a slow explanation, but as I never told them of my shameful negligence, it wasn’t mentioned. Eventually she told me how I was brought to the tent.

“You were nearly dead,” Mina said. “Our shaman had to persuade your spirit to stay.”

“What?!” I said. “You put some witch’s curse on me?”

“No, you are not cursed. You are alive and soon you’ll be better.”

“What happened to me?”

“We found you on the ground, you hit your head on a rock. It’s a good thing you were wearing a turban or you may not have survived.”

“A turban?!” I replied incredulously. I only wore bandages on my throbbing head.

“Well, we had to take it off. We had to tend the wound. We will need to redress it every day.”

“I don’t think so. If the worms have come, it is my duty to raise the alarm.”

“How will you do that?” she replied. “We do not know where the watchtowers are and now you don’t either.”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s obvious you’ve lost your memory.”

“Doesn’t matter, I’ll figure it out. Put me down. I’m leaving,” I said. “And I want my horses back.”

“I know you are injured, but that is no way to repay our kindness. We traded those horses for a hlathlu, and we brought you here to save your life.”

“… Thank you, but my entire kingdom is in danger. Surely if you valued my life enough to bring me here, you value their lives as well.”

“It is not safe for you! You probably can’t even walk!”

“I can try! Put me down!” I said, but the wastelanders, of course, could not understand me except Mina and she would not translate.

“At least let us take you to the nearest village. The hlathlu will find it soon.”

“What’s a lathloo?”

“It’s what we ride instead of horses. They will find people.”

I didn’t know what they really wanted, but Mina was right. I didn’t know where I was and I was in no condition to leave. I had to trust them. I laid back and let them carry me. The slight swinging and bobbing of their steps was like a gentle nap in a hammock. It reminded me of something just out of reach of my memory; something pleasant and horrible at the same time. I decided I would put it out of my mind. I had more important things to worry about. All of my loved ones were in danger, even our very lands were in danger, as the worms have torn away the enchantments that kept it lush and beautiful. Surely someone had already raised the alarm… but what if they hadn’t? And what happened to my partner at the watchtower?

I couldn’t say how much time had passed really, as I fell in and out of sleep. I was preoccupied always with foreboding visions of what may be happening elsewhere. Mina changed my bandages, which had some strange medicinal concoction on it. I slept again and more time passed.

Then, unexpectedly, the others put me on the ground… I hadn't notice we had stopped. Mina asked me to try to stand. I did stand, but only with great difficulty. It was as though my legs didn’t recognize me and they weren’t sure they should do as I told them to. The heaviness fortunately diminished over time.

“We have found a city,” Mina said. “Please come with me and tell me if you recognize it.”

We walked to the mouth of the worm tent, where there were two hlathlus reined in by over a dozen people. I did not want to walk past the giant spiders, no matter how tightly the people held onto them. Mina helped me through and I saw the city. I remembered it very well, even with my memory compromised. Even if I hadn’t been there before, I would know it by its description because it was so famous and remarkably distinct. If we were here already then a lot more time had passed than I thought. I had no reliable gauge how far the worms had come, but I at least knew they have been this far.

DP: What is so remarkably distinct about this city?
Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the city's buildings have a light blue facade. The Blue City.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing to love your new efforts Lebs!

I say the city has a massive ornately carven entrance gate, much like Babylon once had. (though I do like Muad's suggest too!)

Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping for something more extravagant. This is an enchanted kingdom, which is in itself remarkable, but a city within an enchanted kingdom that stands out amongst the others... who knows what it could be that made it so different. Think big, if you want to. Imagine a painting of a strange city by some fantasy artist. What do you see?

Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Challenge accepted!

Okay, my new idea is that there are two tall mountains and the city is a bridge from one mountain to the other. But there are no supports under the city-bridge. And the city is made of blue stone.

I had the Florentine bridge, Ponte Vecchio in mind when I thought of this.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Poll open Reply with quote

Time for voting!

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Poll closed Reply with quote

What's distinct about the city?
Light blue facade [ 0 ]
Ornately carved gate [ 0 ]
The entire city is on an enormous bridge between mountains [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 4
Who Voted: Muaddib, Shillelagh, Thunderbird, Vishal Muralidharan

Author Chapter
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Chapter 7: City on a Bridge Reply with quote

Chapter 7: City on a Bridge
For a moment I just stood there dumbfounded. There was no mistaking that I looked upon the city of Grysell, but what it had become was a shattered nightmare. The city was once built entirely on a giant bridge that spanned the peaks of two mountains. The bridge stretched four miles long and nearly half a mile wide, and the buildings were often several stories tall. There were numerous elevators that raised and lowered in pairs throughout the day. In the valley below grew acres of wheat and blue apple orchards and cattle grazed lazily under the watchful eyes of the farmers high above with telescopes. There were gardens with iridescent butterflies, and lakes and rivers full of crowned herons and red-bellied fish. The city itself was held up by powerful enchantments that had never weakened or faltered before. It was considered one of the safest cities to live in, before the worms came.

What I gazed upon made me lose all sense of reality. I could not truly fathom what I saw, I couldn’t really accept it. The valley burned, the rivers bled black and grey ash, and the city bridge had broken into a dozen pieces. The sand swarmed in, tearing and scraping and burying the beauty that was once there. Three worms, only three, had destroyed everything and they were now waiting to feast upon the survivors clinging to the floating remnants of Grysell. The enchantments were at last faltering. Some parts of the city were overturned and pouring people into the mouths of the worms below. The largest section hovered in the center of the valley and wobbled and drifted down as slow as the minute hand of a clock. The worms were patient and those who remained had nowhere to run to.

“We must help them,” I said logically. I was bereft of emotion. It was only some scrap of humanity inside that told me I should do something.

“We can’t do anything until the worms leave, this disguise only works at a distance,” Mina said. She placed her hand on my shoulder and held me. “We can only help those who survive.”

“No, there must be something we can do.”

Meta DP: How do the protagonist and the wastelanders save survivors while the worms remain? Be creative, but try to keep your options appropriate to the style and narrative of the story.
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Chapter 7: City on a Bridge Reply with quote

Lebrenth wrote:
Be creative, but try to keep your options appropriate to the style and narrative of the story.

Aww...

Well, I would say that they're going to use some of their merchandise to equip some rescue teams to go in with surgical strikes to save people. Enchanted ropes or speed boots or something? If nothing else, they could have people go in on hlathlus, since the spiders have already proven their all-terrain capabilities and lack of fear of the worms.

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Chapter 7: City on a Bridge Reply with quote

Shillelagh wrote:
Aww...

That's right, Shillelagh. In fact, I worded it more carefully just for you. Smile

Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great description of the city! Exactly what I pictured. Also the carnage and destruction was described really well.

I can't seem to think of anything too creative. But here's what I have: the Wastelanders kill a horse or two and deposit in the middle of the worms. The worms begin to fight over the meal. In the meantime, a couple of the Wastelanders ride the fastest Hlathlu up the sides of the mountains to the remnants of the city and rescue the survivors.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Ch7 WotW Poll Reply with quote

Poll is up until Tuesday morning. Do we want to see the worms fight each other or do we want to see the wastelander rescue team use their enchanted equipment? One way or the other, there will be giant spiders, which I'm looking forward to. Smile

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I would've had much more in the way of good ideas to add but I voted for the second option because I felt it was the more fitting of the tone of the tale.

The concept of the worms waiting beneath and catching all the falling people in their mouths gave them a concept of scale that is truly massive. Very nicely expressed chapter entirely! Your writing is truly honed to a nicely skilled edge here Lebs. And how you manage to jump us into the next DP so quickly... is the trick the extremely 'active' plot?

Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice guy. Thanks Thunderbird, as usual, I really appreciate your comments. I don't think I deserve too much credit though, the narrative is nearly stripped to the bone. That's why I get to the DP's so quick. I guess it helps that I plan for the DP before I start writing, but with a story like this, I just have to stop at the nearest interesting spot.

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: DP closed, chapter in progress Reply with quote

Here, I'm calling it on myself before Chinaren has a chance too:

I'm working on the next chapter right now. Here are the results of the last DP.

How to save survivors?
Wastelanders rescue teams use special enchanted equipment and hlathlus [ 1 ]
Worms fight over sacrificed horses while hlathlus save survivors [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3
Who Voted: Muaddib, Shillelagh, Thunderbird

Author Chapter
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Chapter 8: Infighting Behemoths Reply with quote

Chapter 8: Infighting Behemoths
As the wobbling floating islands of the destroyed bridge city lowered the survivors closer and closer to the worms’ mouths, I felt an increasing urgency. As a plan began to form, I felt that urgency slam into a wall of terror at what I was about to do. I couldn’t remember how I got my head injury, but I was pretty sure it happened because of those horrible giant spiders. I never wanted to even see one again, but I needed their help.

“You said these lathloo things jump, right?” I asked Mina. She seemed to think it was an odd question.

“Yes…”

“Can they jump far enough to reach those people?”

“It’s too dangerous. No way.”

“Those people are dying, just like your people died, right? You were a refugee, weren’t you? You used to live like we do.”

“I don’t even remember,” she said in a distant tone. She began to look very upset, perhaps conflicted. She talked with the others in their language. The discussion became an argument, and was escalating to a fight. I could tell there were people on both sides of this debate and I was pretty certain Mina was on mine. I didn’t understand why, at that time, but I felt a heaviness in my heart, something more than just the pity for the people dying. It was guilt. I had to do something to relieve myself of it, and I was prepared to steal a spider if I had to.

A man of distinction arrived, who wore golden bracelets, a wide gold necklace, and black clothes and turban. People quieted and bowed their heads respectfully. Mina and another man pled their case before him. I could not tell who was winning. Then Mina asked,

“Are you willing to go with us if we try to rescue the people?”

“Me? Yes, absolutely. I’ll do anything I can to help.”

The distinguished man nodded his head. Mina’s adversary frowned threateningly at Mina, but he stood down.

“Let’s go,” Mina said to me grimly. “You will ride with Jareb.” Then she climbed on a hlathlu.

“You’re not going too, are you?”

“Of course I’m going. We need to talk to the people, to explain that we are going to help them. My husband will ride out with some horses to distract the worms. We will help people escape.”

“That’s your husband?” I asked, verifying that the man she was arguing with, Lemmuel was his name, was the one she promised to honor and obey. She didn’t respond. I felt a bit more shame and disappointment, as I forgot she was married and Mina had been… so supportive while I was recuperating.

Warily, I joined Jareb on a hlathlu. Jareb patted my knee reassuringly, and before I knew it the spider lunged forward. I clung to Jareb tighter than a child to its mother. More than once, he elbowed me to loosen my grip as we jumped up the mountain. The enormous worms began taking notice of us and one moved toward us. We had to circle around the mountain for a while to avoid its fiery breath, but the journey to the top was remarkably short.

The broken end of the bridge was crowded with people calling desperately across the gap. I recall a dog barking and pacing on the edge, hopelessly trying to find a way back its master. The people had ropes that they were trying to throw to waiting hands on the nearest island, but they could make the distance. But everyone stopped when they saw us. Jareb nudged me.

“We’re here to help!” I yelled. “I’m from the … Ammon … Watchtower,” I said… but for some reason, I wasn’t sure if I had the name right. My memory was still fuzzy and I sounded a little unconfident, but I pressed on. “I’m a scout for the King. Please make room for us, and we’ll bring back as many as we can.”

While I spoke, the spider stalked the dog. Before the dog could do much more than growl, the spider had seized it and was draining its blood while the refugees watched. At least I still had my uniform, and they didn’t attack us on the spot. After an awkward few minutes, we were distracted by the earth shaking roars of the worms. Mina’s husband had arrived with the horses and through a wonderful stroke of luck, the worms were fighting over the treat. I thought I better add something to help our cause more.

“These wastelanders are our friends. They’re sacrificing their horses to give us a chance to save lives. Be ready!”

Jareb took the end of three ropes from the refugees. They offered no resistance. Then the hlathlu jumped on command, easily clearing the large gap and scattering the terrified people nearby. We began making a bridge, while below the worms whipped their heads and tails at each other, causing whirlwinds to whip us around. I heard a terrible crash as one of the smaller islands fell to the ground. I had no way of knowing how many had died with it. Our own island rocked and I saw a man get lifted right off of his feet from the wind and vanish in the storm.

Our rope bridge was nothing more than three ropes, one for each hand and one for the feet, and nothing to connect the three but one’s own will to survive. Someone threw a big bundle of rope on my lap before making the treacherous traversal. I couldn’t watch. Besides, we had to make it to another island while we still had time. I knew Mina was doing the same on the opposite side of the bridge, but I admit I was more worried about her than about the others. I wanted her to survive and I wished she hadn’t gone with us. It occurred to me that perhaps she was on the piece of bridge that fell… she could already be dead.

The next island had a shorter gap, but it had turned upside down. I could see the large enchanted glyphs glowing on the underside, now shining upward, and an elevator laying on top instead of dangling down. Below I heard people calling for help, clinging onto lampposts that were buried in the bridge while they watched their homes coming apart like a scarf with a loose thread. With my heart feeling like lead, I turned away. We didn’t have time to save them. We took more ropes from the elevators, finished two more anchors, and prepared for a particularly wide jump.

By this time, the worms had stopped fighting. The largest of the three worms consumed all of the horses. I could only assume Mina’s husband managed to get away. Now the worms turned their attention back to us. One worm turned up its head and breathed fired as high as it could, maybe high enough to reach the islands… I could not see to be sure.

As Jareb and I waited for a calm moment in the wind to make this large jump, I saw a bright point of light like a shooting star. I pointed it out to Jareb and we watched it strike the largest island.

“You know what that is?” I asked Jareb ironically. Not only was a certain he didn’t know what it was, he didn’t even understand my words when I asked. “It’s a wizard! It’s our wizard! Maybe Hestian or Galdernum, but I’d even be happy to see Zinfury. Or even Grelda! Quickly, make the jump! Go for it!”

Jareb was confused, but the wind had calmed as much as it was going to. As terrifying as the jump should have been, I was just so happy that the King had sent a wizard to help us that I felt invincible. We landed off course, nearly so far that we would have missed, but we made it. I didn't care! I couldn't wait to see who had arrived and what incredible magic was about to happen.

Meta DP: Who has arrived and what incredible magic is about to happen? You do not need to choose any of the above names, nor are you required to choose a wizard of the king, but it is a person with impressive magical qualities intending to do some serious magic involving the worms or the survivors in Grysell.
Shillelagh
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spell is a barrier, which will expand from the large island to cover the whole city. Nothing can get in or out. The people are trapped, but when the worms cannot reach their prey, they will eventually leave.

The spell is a weapon. The kingdom has a zero-tolerance worm policy, and must immediately destroy Grysell in a massive, magical explosion so that the worms will be destroyed too. It is better to amputate a limb than to let the whole body become sick.

Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Bardo. Somehow he's been reborn more powerful than ever...Gandalf style. I know it's ridiculous, but I like Shillelagh's idea a lot. Just thought I'd throw something out.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome read buddy! The visual imagery I get from these awesome creatures is quite impressive and I must attribute that to some of the excellent snippets in your writing such as:
Quote:
while below the worms whipped their heads and tails at each other, causing whirlwinds to whip us around.
Such small details, such great impact.

Anyhow, I'm going to say that the magic creates a massive golem out of the rubbled remains of the city itself, a titanic construct of wood and stone that goes forth to destroy at least one worm before being torn apart by the other two.

The Wizard is a refugee actually, an EX-court mage that was here in hiding.

Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all sound so interesting! Even Bardo, though that was suggested as a sort of gag, could be turned into quite a twist.

Now seeing you quote it, Thunderbird, I wish I didn't reuse "whip". Surely there are other words with the same impact. I think the fight actually deserved more detail, but it was already a longer than usual chapter. I'm glad you felt it had a lot of impact. Great suggestion by the way! I like the idea for the character, and if the golem is voted in, I look forward to learning more about him!

Oh yeah, I'm supposed to announce "The poll is now open!" It will stay until Wednesday this time, since I posted a day late last time. Thanks everyone for your help in creating this story!

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught up!

And voted.

And losing. Sad
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see room for a combination between the two tied options... once the golem is destroyed by the other two worms it explodes, taking out the whole region.

So I walked into a bar the other day... I'm still getting over the headache.

Proud member of the Humor Guild Wink

Zephyrrr! And...
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap :/

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry people. As much as I want to write the chapter right now, I'm stealing time just telling you that I'm going to delay the chapter. I'll have to catch up next week, by then it will probably be in Fantasy Forest.

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been moved to Fantasy at the request of Lebs.
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: