Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Nosy

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

kc9cra
Resident

Topics: 5

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Nosy Reply with quote

Okay, I like the fast paced storygames, so I'm going to try this again. I promise I'll post more often. Maybe the fact that I'm starting Nosy on a weekday instead of the weekend will help.

Prologue

Cody Wills was bored out of his friggin skull. Then, he ran out of gas and got even more bored. He usually found temporary work with people who liked to flip houses, or he hustled used stuff on EBay and Craigslist, but when houses sold just about as well as steaming piles of crap, noone was flipping which meant Cody wasn't working. If Cody wasn't working, he had no money for stuff to sell, trips to Taco Belle, weed, the bar, anything, but he did have a whole bunch of time on his hands.

He had driven around most of that day talking to a few of his friends and trying to find some good carparts at the you-pull junkyard to resell, but had no luck. He had finally given up when the '98 Ford Fiesta's guage was hovering near e.

He went home and parked outside his small, sort of trashy-looking but really cheap rental house.

He still had a couple of broken waterheaters in the yard as well as a central unit he had boosted from an abandoned house. He had meant to take them to the scrap yard, but Brad, one of Cody's friends, was using his truck and didn't want to lend it right now. As Cody entered, he found a note onn the door from the landlord. It read simply, "Get the trash out of the yard!"

Cody ripped it off in annoyance and tossed it in to a pile of loose odds and ends next to the stoop. He at least hoped he had beer money. There were only a few ones in his wallet, but he had the big bowl of change inside.

After a few minutes of counting, Cody finally figured out that he had enough for a couple of forties. He wanted to just walk to the liquor store and pick them up, but Mike was getting off in a couple hours. He worked at Radio Shack. Cody would have to take the bus, but he could meet him there.

Radio Shack was one of a scant few businesses that had stayed in the stripmall after Walmart had moved to the new supercenter out on Redbank Road. Most of the storefronts were empty. The bus dropped Cody off at the entrance to the parking lot. As he walked, Cody passed the empty Walmart building and began thinking.

he was an opportunist, an entreprenour. He was good at finding quick and easy ways to make a buck. This building had been empty for years. From what Cody had heard around town, it had never gone up for sale. People thought that it must still be owned by Walmart, but they weren't using it for anything.

Cody wondered what had been left behind. There was at least some scrap metal and maybe some leftover murchandise. Maybe there would be some old office equipment. That stuff still fetched some cash online. Cody wondered if the building still had an alarm system. He had to see before he went bulldozing his way in.

Walking behind the building, Cody immediately saw the electric meter. He pulled off the cover and observed that the meter was indeed spinning slowly.

The power was on. Cody wondered why. Was it just for an alarm, or did they keep the heat and air on? Maybe it was being used for storeage. Hell, maybe someone was growing hydro, that woouuld be nice. Cody picture filling a hefty bag with an armload of marijuana and decided he needed to see if there was an alarm for real.
He had to break a window, but of course, there was nothing around to through. Cody wasn't about to use his hands, so he continued back further from the building. The rear of the lot was pretty neglected. The pavement was broken in to large pieces and weeds grew up between them. Trash was strewn all over this area. After searching for a few minutes, Cody found a few loose bricks. One of these would do fine.

Hospitals were great places to get free gloves, and gloves were great for entreprenours like Cody. It was always good to have some on your person just in case they were needed.

Cody pulled a pair from his pocket and picked upa brick. He wond up like a big league pitcher and hurled it at one of the windows in the old building. Direct hit, the glass shattered, and Cody ran to a safe place near the stripmall to watch for the police to show up.

When fifteen minutes passed without any sign of the police or even someone who might work for Walmart showing up to turn off the alarm, Cody decided that there was no alarm. Excited, he went around back and found another brick. This time, he held it in his hand and pounded on one of the paines on the front doors. After breaking open a hole in the glass, he reached in and pressed the pushbar. The door opened easily. The next door however, proved to be more challenging. There must've been a new lock on it. After the pushbar didn't work, Cody pulled out his pocketknife and went to work on the lock it'sself, but he couldn't open it. Finally, he climbed through the jagged hole where the glass had once been. Until now, he hadn't seen the inside of the store. The second lock had occupied him for a few minutes, and the glass appeared to be streaked with dirt. It provided a clouded blurry view of the store which revealed a whole lot of nothing.

Once inside however, Cody could see that the big room where shelves and checkout counters had once stood, steel-barred cages now occupied the space. There were islets along the brick walls, and apparently, someone had been putting bars over the windows as well. What the hell was this place? Did some weird pervert take his sex slaves here and torture them, so he could get his rocks of?
There was a desk near the back, but Cody didn't find it until he neared that part of the store. He wondered if he could remove the cages and whether to haul them in for scrap or to sell them. As he pondered, he heard the outer door opening and a voice saying, "We're definitly going to need a team here. the window in both layers of doors are busted out. Cody heard a voice responding over a 2way radio, but he couldn't understand the words. He searched franticly for a back door as footsteps traversed the expansive store and aproached the back where Codybecame more and more desperate.

Chapter 1 is coming either late today or tomorrow morning. I'll just leave you guys hanging until then.
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some delay in getting to reading these days but I'm surprised you've had no response at the moment... huh.

Anyhow, expect one from me soon.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you trying again 9, hope it keeps going this time, though I'd generally recommend you try finishing tales before starting others!
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poke
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 24 hours to post another chapter 9, or I'll be moving this to the slow areas. Thanks.

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been moved to the slow area due to lack of action.
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This did not get a lack of opportunity for any lacking in quality, that's for sure. I mean, yes, KC, you could use a little rephrasing training but over time as a growing author, you'll start developing that.

Otherwise the premise is a lot of fun and I enjoyed reading it. Premise... the concept behind the story... that is your definitive strength that makes anything you write worthy of giving a read. I mean, I'm left at the end of this really wanting to see how it moves forward from here!

No DP but you've got my interest if you'd like to continue... and hopefully others catch on as well. We've been in a bit of an unusual slump around the city.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: