Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Uncertain Quests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to ask you about that Nanowrimo sometime. Is it only in October? I really like the idea. And congratulations by the way.

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Topics: 17

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lebrenth wrote:
I'll have to ask you about that Nanowrimo sometime. Is it only in October? I really like the idea. And congratulations by the way.

Do you mean November? No, they don't. There are other competitions, there is a list on the site. Just go to the home page, and it will probably tell you more.

If you do Nano Wrimo, you have to tell me. We can be writing buddies. Cool

Samadhi Traveler 2005 Nano Wrimo winner (53,019 words)

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fourth option is now on - those who have already voted please let Dragon Fire know if you wish to alter your vote.

Happy Writing. Smile
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

decided to split up

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you mean November?

... Yes. That must have been what I meant.

Ok, I got confused. I actually checked the site out a week ago, and thought that it was only one month a year. But I'm very interested. I'll have to check into it further and get back to you. I'd love to be writing buddies!

And I would definitely like to change my vote to the fourth option instead of the third, but under the circumstances I mentioned above.

dragon_fire372
Citizen

Topics: 4

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for fixing the poll Smee! Very Happy For the record, when the poll is ended, the third option will have one less vote than it appears, and the fourth will have one more. Alright, you're covered now Lebrenth.

I'll have to check out the thing for the Nano Wrimo, it sounds very interesting. I dunno if I could pull it off, but it would be fun! <Runs off to check the home page>

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke

Sans Dieu Rien Without God, Nothing

Visions of Shadow - 2nd part of Uncertain Quests! Chapter Two

Dreamwalker - Relocated to Linear Lane Sixth Chapter

Linear Story Nightrobber Now Complete!
AreonK

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted track down Verrad, more fun and probably going to be more productive. I haven't posted in your story but I have been reading it the whole way through, so far I like! Andways, Search for Verrad.

I always thought you were a boy... :biggrin:
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I voted... Confused I still go for my suggestion to explore the address. A curious address I might add.

-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dragon_fire372
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more day and the poll is closed!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke

dragon_fire372
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As he thought about it, Persivian realized that while Lehrar and the address weren’t likely to go anywhere, there was no knowing what might happen to Verrad. “I need to find our late-night visitor,” he said. “However, I wonder if you could find out more about the mystery address?” This last he directed towards Jud’ami, who hummed thoughtfully.

At last he replied, “It makes sense. I doubt Verrad will want to talk about anything while I am with you. Do you want me to talk to the sender of the envelope, or simply scout him out?”

Persivian shrugged. “Find out who he is, what he does, how he lives. Use your judgment; if you think it would be worth a conversation, go ahead. If not, I’ll meet you back here and we’ll go to him together.”

His friend nodded, then said, “Let’s make it even simpler then.” He stood and crossed over to a cabinet. Jud’ami rummaged around inside if for a moment, before crossing back across the room and pressing something into Persivian’s hand. It was a small raindrop shaped amulet. The thin chain snaked between his fingers as he transferred it to his other hand, rubbing his thumb over its smooth surface. “It’s a tracker stone,” the sailor explained. “Cost me a pretty coin to have the pair enchanted, but it was worth it. Once you call upon the spell, you can feel the location of the other stone, wherever it goes. After I investigate the address I’ll simply come to you, or you to me.”

“This will be excellent,” said Persivian, examining the spell that had been set within the stone. It was a good, long lasting spell, and would remain in the amulets for a long time. Perfectly suited for their needs.

Jud’ami nodded. “I think we’re all set for the morrow then. After we meet again we can speak to Lehrar together. I’ve been meaning to visit him, actually,” he said wistfully, “but I never go around to it. He’s always so busy whenever I return to town.”

“Well, he’ll just have to make time for us,” Persivian grinned. “After all, how could he resist a visit from his favorite pupils?”

“Indeed,” his friend agreed. His smile faded as he said slowly, “Of course, we will have to find a way for you to track down Verrad in the morning, and I don’t fancy you walking around the city alone – ” The cat hissed. “With Guia,” he amended, “with naught but a name to help you find him. Should we use the kyanite?” the sea-wizard asked.

Frowning, Persivian said, “I had not wanted to use any of the gems until I had examined them more, when I was more rested. But if we have to – ”

“There’s no need,” Guia interjected. She stood up and stretched, her tail a black exclamation point in the air as her claws snagged in Persivian’s robes. Then she leapt down to the ground and sauntered casually to the stairs. Shaking her head, she muttered, “I don’t know what you’d do without me.”

“Where are you going?” her wizard asked.

Sighing, she replied, “I’ll follow this Verrad and find out more about him. For instance, where he’s staying the night. I’ll be back before morning,” she called over her shoulder, disappearing out of sight.

Jud’ami glanced at his friend and asked, “Doesn’t she need the door opened?” Persivian shrugged. Echoing the cat’s sigh, the sailor heaved himself out of his chair and looked up the stairwell. “She’s gone!” he exclaimed. Looking over to the blind wizard, he asked, “How did she get out the door?”

“Don’t look at me,” Persivian objected. “I haven’t any idea how she does half the things she does.”

With tomorrow’s plan settled, they made themselves ready for bed. Jud’ami led his friend to a guest room. The sea-wizard didn’t have any beds in his apartment, preferring a hammock, but there was a comfortably deep pile of cushions, quilts, and luxurious furs the Persivian nestled into with delight. At first he couldn’t quite relax; he did not like being without his closest companion. After a while, though, the weariness of the day caught up to him, and he fell deeply asleep.

He awoke early the next morning to the smell of sizzling sausages and Jud’ami humming in the kitchen. His stomach felt warm, and when he reached down it was to feel the silky fur of Guia, nestled against him. As he rolled over and stretched, she awoke as well. She shook her head, her ears flapping, and then yawned widely, her pink tongue curling up. Purring, she laid her head back down and closed her eyes.

Persivian smiled at her, glad she was back, but knew better than to disturb her in the morning. Instead he stood and got dressed, then walked to the kitchen. Jud’ami was bending over a pan of sizzling hash browns, rolling sausages around, his back to his friend. When he heard Persivian enter, he remarked sardonically, “Impeccable timing. Just in time to eat, but too late to help cook.” But a booming laugh belied his words, as he plunked a plate in front of his friend.

Soon the two had breakfasted and were ready to begin the day. After collecting Guia, who draped herself over Persivian’s shoulder after devouring some sausage, they climbed the stairs to the street. It was still fairly early, but already a warm breeze blew in from the harbor to the north. Jud’ami led them to the inn to collect the horses, which would make traveling somewhat faster in the vast city. The sailor grumbled a little over the lack of saddles, but Persivian didn’t mind. After that they parted ways, Jud’ami tracking down the address, Persivian to find Verrad.

“Guia, what did you discover last night?” he asked the cat, who had moved to a seat at the base of the horse’s neck and was grooming herself meticulously.

“I followed him to an inn where he stayed the night,” she mumbled through a mouthful of fur. “I figured that was enough to be getting on with, so I came home.”

Sitting motionless on the horse, he waited. “And?” he asked finally.

“It’s on the high street, near the gates,” she replied finally, after a suitable pause. “I trust you can find your way there without my help?”

The wizard rolled his eyes and didn’t answer. After giving the horse a gentle nudge, they were moving. As they went Persivian kept his senses alert for anyone who might get in his way. He needn’t have worried, however; once people recognized him they cleared the way immediately. They pointed and whispered as he passed, thinking he couldn’t see, but he sensed their stares all the same. He had to admit it to himself – despite how he loved the people, they were part of the reason he had left. Although it made navigating the streets easier, their awed scrutiny was disconcerting.

As the heat of the sun increased and the day wore on, it became apparent that Persivian’s predictions about the city in the day were quite on the mark. The sweaty scent of the crowd was everywhere, the clatter of hooves and footsteps echoing on the cobbles, and loud conversations as people hurried on their ways ever-present. Behind it all, the wizard could hear the cry of gulls and pungent smell of brine that always brought his thoughts to Maylin whereever he went. If he hadn’t been the renowned Persivian the Sightless, powerful wizard and defender of the meek, it would have taken a very long time indeed to push his way through the crowds. As it was, he was able to keep up a moderately swift pace, occasionally pausing to get his bearings, but always heading unerringly to the High Street. Unfortunately the city was still very large, and it took him the better part of an hour to traverse his way to the southern end, where the gates could be found.

Eventually though he did find it, and the bustle was even more pronounced, and no amount of reputation would make traveling on it easy. Here there was the greatest concentration of vendors and tradesman, and travelers and residents alike flocked to the street like bees to honey. Or flies to blood, the wizard thought for no particular reason. The image made him shudder.

Pulling himself out of his reverie, Persivian laid a hand on Guia’s back. “We’re here,” he remarked.

“I can see that. Took you long enough too,” she replied. “The name of the inn is the Hawk’s Flight, it’s up the street to the right. I’ll tell you when you get to it.”

The wizard nodded his agreement and turned up the street. Slowly they wound their way through the throng of people, the horse naturally shying away from contact with others. Guia perched on the front of the horse, balancing perfectly as she watched the street, lending her guidance to the wizard as they rode through the crowd. Finally the cat called him to halt at the entrance to a tall building to their left, set a little back from the street. Persivian could hear the sign creaking as it swung over the door, and the smell of manure let him know that there was a stable next to the inn. He handed the boy at the door a small coin to hold his mount while he went inside. The Hawk’s Flight was a good inn, simple but good quality. Together with Guia at his side he stepped into a foyer, with the desk to the left, a flight of stairs hugging the right wall, and straight ahead a corridor leading to the common room, kitchen and dining hall. He could smell the syrup and coffee from breakfast.

The innkeeper sat behind the desk, his feet propped up on a stool as he looked over a leather-bound ledger. When he heard the little bell over the door ring, he said, “Be with you in a minute, please.” Then he glanced up to see who it was. Seeing the tall wizard with his milky eyes, he gave a startled gasp that he quickly stifled. “Master Persivian!” he exclaimed, sitting up in a hurry. “You’ve returned to the city! It’s an honor to have you in my inn.” Setting the ledger on the counter with a thump, he hurriedly stood and smoothed his hands down his apron. “What can I do for you, sir?”

“Not much today, I’m afraid,” the wizard remarked. “I only require the name and whereabouts of a guest who stayed here last night.”

“What does he look like?” the innkeeper asked. Then he stuttered hurriedly, “That is, I mean to say, um…”

With a warm laugh Persivian help up a hand, forestalling an apology. “It’s fine, I assure you. His first name is Verrad.”

“Verrad, you say?” the innkeeper asked. “Let me see if I can find him.” Guia pressed against his ankle, and he tapped his foot twice. Although the man had strived to keep his voice level, Persivian could detect the subtle change in tone, and he noticed the way the man shifted his bulk nervously when Verrad’s name had been mentioned. “Ah, yes,” the man finally said. “He did have a room here last night, and is booked for the rest of the week. I remember now though, he…uh…went out, early this morning. He should return later, though.”

“I see,” said Persivian inscrutably. “Well, thank you for your time.” With a nod, he turned to leave, pausing only to let Guia leap to his shoulder. When he stepped outside, he heard the innkeeper crossing the floor to stump quickly up the stairs. Persivian knew he was going to alert Verrad that he had been there. So he retrieved his horse, rode about twenty yards down the street before reining over into an alley, and waited.

Soon enough he heard hurried footsteps, and then a shadow fell across his face as a man walked by, momentarily blocking out the sunlight falling into the alley. “That’s him,” Guia remarked unnecessarily, for Persivian had recognized both his form and his scent. Not moving from his position leaning against the wall, the wizard called out, “Hold, Verrad.”

The man started, then looked into the alley, to see the wizard leaning against the wall, his sightless eyes fixed on him. With a glance up both ends of the street, he entered the alley as well. “Persivian,” he said, holding out his hand. The wizard pretended he couldn’t see it (which of course he couldn’t) and after a moment Verrad coughed slightly in embarrassment and put it down.

“I was told you were looking for me,” stated the wizard.

“Indeed I was,” he replied. “I did not expect you would find me first. How did you find me?” Persivian deigned not to answer, and when the stranger realized this, he said somewhat coldly, “I was hoping you could help me with a certain…delicate matter.”

The wizard nodded. “Perhaps I could. Tell me your name and what it is you ask, and I’ll see if I can help.”

“You know my name.”

Even before he was finished saying it, Persivian cut him off. “Your surname,” he said pointedly.

“Ah.” After a barely discernable pause, the man replied, “Menteira. I am Verrad Menteira.” Guia dug in her claws, briefly. Why would Verrad lie about his name? Persivian wondered, but nothing showed on his face, his expression unfathomable. Not privy to the silent exchange, Verrad continued, “As to my business, it pertains to a girl.”

“There are many girls.”

“I’m looking for one – Minaar. I know you saw her yesterday coming into Maylin.”

“Really?” smirked Persivian. “I hadn’t been aware of that.”

Verrad’s face flushed angrily when he heard the mocking tone in the wizard’s voice. “What I mean is,” he said tightly, “I know you met her on the road before the fight, and I need to know what happened to her.”

“Well, before I answer your question, I’d like to know how you know all that.”

The man shrugged. “My ways are my own.”

Persivian frowned. “I see. Well, unless you decide to share them, my information will remain my own as well.” When Verrad clenched his fists and did not reply, the wizard remarked mildly, “Forgive me for my suspicion, but I have reasons for caution. If you desire my help, you’ll have to accommodate me.”

After a moment Verrad inclined his head. “I was at the city gates at the same time you entered them. I overheard you talking to the guards about the bodies down the road, and I recognized Minaar’s wagon. I had intended to find you then, but was…delayed at the gates. Does that answer your question?”

“It does,” remarked Persivian. He declined to ask why Verrad had been delayed, and instead replied, “Now I will answer yours.” He detailed a swift and brief description of his first meeting with Minaar and the attack by the soldiers. One thing he did not describe, however, was the manner of the captain’s death, or even that Persivian had spoken to him before he died. It did not seem prudent, seeing how little he knew of this man, especially since he knew Guia was wary of him.

After he finished telling of the attack, Verrad asked, “And Minaar? What happened to her?”

“I don’t know. She ran off after the fight began, dispatching two men as she fled.” Verrad nodded but did not answer. Finally the wizard asked, “You said that Minaar was your friend, so you must know something about her. How did she manage to take on two armed and trained warriors with such ease, in darkness?”

Rather than answering, Verrad asked, “Was she hurt? Did they injure her before she fled?” Was he only imagining it, or did Persivian detect more than concern for the girl’s health in Verrad’s voice?

“Again, I don’t know if she was injured, I didn’t meet her again after she fled. I presume she was unharmed, for I could find no traces of blood.”

Verrad nodded. “That is good. If she had been injured…” Persivian sensed the man’s shudder.

“You have failed to answer my question,” he reminded Verrad. “How did she kill two those two men?”

“It would seem she broke their necks, from your description.”

The wizard did not move. “I am in no mood to play games, Verrad.” His tone held a hint of danger in it, and it was painfully obvious how short Persivian’s patience for this man was becoming.

With a sigh, he reluctantly answered, “I don’t know exactly. She has been trained, I believe, to take care of herself. She’s gotten out of such situations before.”

“I have heard she got out of them with the aid of magic.”

Instantly Verrad’s temper flared. “What business is that of yours?” he demanded.

“I am a wizard. Magic is my business.”

“I see,” he said slowly. “…She may have used some enchanted objects, she does have a fair collection of them. Speaking of which, did you find any magical objects in her wagon? I know she had at least three gems with magical powers. If you did, I would like to take them, so I can keep them for her.”

“Yes, I did find some curious things in her wagon. I will not be giving them to you, however.” When Verrad shifted in anger, he said smoothly, “I intend to find her and speak to her myself. She is their owner, and I will only return them to her, no one else.”

As he spoke those words, Persivian detected a sudden tenseness in Verrad, as if something he’d said caused him to worry. After that the man bowed slightly. “Thank you for your information. It eases my heart to know she is unharmed, and I appreciate you helping me like this. Unfortunately, I have other business in this city, so I must leave you now.” Not waiting for a reply, he turned and strode from the alley.

The wizard, still leaning, bowed his head and sighed. “An illuminating talk,” he remarked to Guia.

“Yes,” she hissed. “I still don’t trust him, but I can’t really say why.” She snorted to herself, then said, “Maybe I can. He was thoroughly rude, very sensitive to ridicule, and entirely too shifty.”

“He didn’t like to be made fun of, did he?” Persivian remarked. For a few more moments he stayed still and pondered. Then he mounted up again and fingered the tracker stone that hung from his belt. “I think it’s time to find how our friend is doing.”

Activating the spell, he found that Jud’ami was riding towards him, from the northwest section of the city. Orienting himself to his friend’s position, Persivian entered the streets and rode towards him. After less than fifteen minutes he heard Jud’ami hailing him from up the street, so Persivian directed his horse out of traffic and waited. Soon the sailor had pulled up beside him. “Greetings,” he said in his deep voice. “Did you find Verrad?”

“I did,” Persivian confirmed. “And you?”

Jud’ami nodded. “There’s a place a few blocks from here where we can buy an early lunch. Why don’t we head over there and compare notes?” Persivian agreed and together they guided their mounts to a small café, where they hitched their horses and went inside. The smell of beef stew and freshly baked bread assaulted them, and it was somewhat cooler than outside. Jud’ami led them to a table and they sat down. In a few minutes a woman came to them with two steaming bowls of stew and set them down.

Looking at Guia, she said, “We normally don’t allow animals inside…”

Eyeing the soup hungrily, the cat replied, “Do you want to try to make me leave?”

The woman eyed Guia with considerable surprise, then shook her head. “Shall I bring…another bowl, then?” she asked hesitantly.

“Yes,” she answered. “That would be excellent.”

After the waitress had brought the last bowl, which Guia dug into with relish, Jud’ami and Persivian discussed what each had found. The sea-wizard had tracked down the address, belonging to a man named Borgen Oculdo according to the envelope. This took him longer than expected because the street name was a very old one, not commonly used anymore. When Persivian asked why he thought this was so, Jud’ami replied that he thought it was for the man to keep himself hard to find. In any case, he had eventually found the home, but had found it dark, with locked doors and shuttered windows. To all appearances it was empty. After questioning some neighbors, Jud’ami found that Borgen kept to himself, seldom coming out in the day, and rarely letting people in at any time. Indeed, they didn’t even know if he was still living there, because he had become even more reclusive and no one had seen any activity there for some time. When Jud’ami asked for how long, they said a little less than a year.

“So you think it’s empty, a dead lead?” Persivian asked.

Jud’ami shook his head. “I didn’t say that,” he replied.

In any case, the sailor had eventually decided that there was nothing more he could do there. After all, he could hardly force himself inside, and no one was answering the door. So he had come back, to report to Persivian so that they may return later, together.

After Jud’ami had finished, Persivian gave him a chance to eat and detailed how he had found, and spoken to, Verrad. His friend listened intently, and soon they were both sitting back in their chairs, pondering this new information.

Some time later Jud’ami finally asked, “So, where do we go next? I could take you back to the addresser’s home.”

“I think…” Persivian began slowly.

Guia interrupted him. She looked up from where she had been crouching on the table over her bowl of stew, and the fur on her back and tail bushed out. “We need to speak to Lehrar, I think,” she said uneasily.

Looking at his friend with concern, Persivian asked, “Why?” And a moment later, “Is it urgent?”

The cat shook her head. “I don’t know,” she whispered.

dragon_fire372
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! And you thought the fourth chapter was long...

Anyway, there it is, enjoy. There was something else I was planning to say, but I can't remember anymore, so oh well.

Oh, and thank you for your votes and comments! They are very much appreciated. Smile

Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have been a long chapter, but it was an excellent one. Good work, DF! Cool

I think we should listen to Guia. Her instincts are usually spot-on. Possibly, if there's time after we've spoken to Lehrar, we could go back to the house and try to find out more about Oculdo's address.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice chapter DF. Maybe they should quiz the cat a little more, see if they can tease more info out of her, and if it is urgent.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She doesn't seem to be willfully holding back information...just sensitive to things we don't spot.

Trust her and go see Lehrar - now the leads are tied down knowledge is what we need and that is the best place for it.

Fantastic chapter with wonderful interactions.

Keep it up. Smile
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F5*

*i seem to be doing a lot of that recently

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice chapter Smile

A very enjoyable read. I agree with the above. Lets go find Lehrar
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long certainly. Reminds me of Chapter 2 of Truthseeker. It came out to be quite a long chapter, one of the longer ones if you haven't read it yet.

Guia seems to be a trustworthy source. I agree with Smee, listen to the cat. She seems to know things better than most human beings. Cool I just love familiars.

-Confucius
saxon215

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite a big read, i had to scroll down a whole page at ;least 7 times to read iot all, your lucky i did too because normally any more then three and i cant be stuffed reading the restof it, good chapter though
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange... it didn't occur to me that it was a long chapter as I was reading it. I think it went really well, Dragon Fire!

And of course we're taking Guia's advice. I always trust cat intuition.

Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice either Confused - although even if I had I'd have been happy - I like long chapters. Very Happy
dragon_fire372
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there seems to be universal agreement over what shall happen next, a new poster will hopefully be chapped in the next few days. If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it. Smile

Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
I didn't notice either Confused - although even if I had I'd have been happy - I like long chapters. Very Happy

Well you see, Smee. You yourself writes long chapters for your storygame, so of course you wouldn't mind. I, on the other, am an enigma that likes/dislikes long chapters. *grins*

And we all know, Sax, here has an attention span as short as a fish.

-Confucius
dragon_fire372
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulgh. Ok, more than a few days, but it's been busy. Anyway, the wait is now over.

dragon_fire372
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jud’ami leaned forward over the table, fixing Guia with his dark eyes. “Is something wrong? Is Lehrar in danger?”

When the cat failed to answer, Persivian laid a hand on her back and said, “What is troubling you, my friend? Please tell us, we need to know all that you know.”

“That’s just it,” replied Guia, looking at him with wide eyes. “I don’t know. Usually I know at least some part of the reason, but all I feel now is a sense of urgency. I can’t tell if Lehrar is in danger, or if we are, or anything!”

Persivian immediately stood up. It was clear to him that Guia was sincere, and also extremely unsettled, by what she was feeling. He knew better than to ignore her instincts, vague as this one was. “Come,” he said to Jud’ami. “We must go to Lehrar.”

The sailor nodded without hesitation, and strode to the counter to pay for their meal. Persivian exited the café, Guia walking close to his heels, brushing against his ankles and weaving across his path in a typical cat-like fashion. Normally she did not do this, except in jest. It only made her agitation more obvious.

Within minutes both wizards were riding down the street, swiftly but not daring to run because of the crowds. Guia stood before him, peering over the horse’s head, directing Persivian as her tail lashed back and forth. They rode east along the streets, to where the wizard’s academy sat in a broad square just north of the city center. Persivian was brutally aware of the sun above them, beating down cruelly from a cloudless sky. This, compounded with worry over what had upset Guia so, was giving him a headache.

They were only a few blocks away from their destination when Guia suddenly crouched down and wailed loudly. Several people looked her way in surprise, including her companions. Looking at them with fear in her eyes, she cried, “RUN! Lehrar is in danger!”

This time they asked no questions. Jud’ami, his voice magically amplified, yelled, “Make way! The King’s wizards require passage. To the sides!” The crowd looked their way and, seeing the two powerful wizards astride their white steeds, immediately complied. Kicking their horses into a run, Persivian and Jud’ami bolted towards the academy.

The masses of people opened an aisle for them in the street, like a vast wave pulling back from the shore. Persivian did not hear their gibbering, did not feel their stares. He heard only three things – the pounding of his steed’s hooves, the throbbing of his own heart, and an echo of Guia’s yowl enduring in his mind. They arrived at the gates of the academy in mere moments it seemed, where two spell-sword guards stood, one on either side.

As one, the two wizards pulled their mounts to a halt. “Open the gate!” cried Persivian.

They looked once into his white eyes and did not hesitate. Within seconds the gates were swinging inward. The companions did not wait for them to open fully, instead thundering inside, straight to the residence hall where upper-level wizards and instructors lived. As they passed, Jud’ami called out to the guards, “Follow us to Lehrar’s quarters!” Then they were racing again. Those walking on the path before them had to leap out of the way, but did not hesitate to do so. All three friends were well known and no one wanted to cross them when they were in such obvious haste.

At last they reached the residence hall, a white marble edifice rising stately from the flowerbeds that surrounded it. Hardly waiting for his horse to halt, Persivian dismounted and ran up the steps, Guia before him, Jud’ami behind. Of course the old man has to live on the high floors, the wizard thought, but that only made him push himself harder. Together the three ran to a lift and stepped in. Warm air buffeted their clothes and gently they rose through the air. “Faster!” Persivian muttered through gritted teeth, thinking only of his friend. Finally they reached the correct floor and stepped onto the landing. They ran with renewed speed, praying with every breath that they were not too late, shoving people out of the way. Guia was ahead of him, she would have reached Lehrar’s apartments by now. Persivian turned the corner –

And skidded to a halt before Guia, who stood beside the door. Her fur was bushed out, but when she spoke it was with infinite sadness. “We’re too late,” she whispered.

“What happened?” he demanded, but she gave no reply. Persivian held out his hand to the door, intending to push it open. Before he could touch it, though, he felt a hand close over his wrist.

“Let me go first,” Jud’ami said.

After a moment’s thought, Persivian nodded. If an attack came, Jud’ami would be able to see it. Persivian stood aside, lending his friend magical protection as Jud’ami pushed the door open. All the while he extended his senses, trying to detect any threat. He could feel none.

Cautiously Jud’ami entered the room, Guia slipping in after him. There was about a minute of silence, then Persivian heard Jud’ami’s call. There was no more threat. The wizard stepped inside.

Immediately a coppery scent entered his nostrils. It was the smell of blood, freshly spilled. He could also hear the dull drone of flies. Persivian held his hand ahead, and Jud’ami grasped it. He allowed himself to be led to a small bedroom in the back of the apartments, and it was here the scent was coming from. Reaching out with his senses, Persivian felt the presence of a body on the floor. It was not breathing.

Slowly the wizard fell to his knees, shuffling forward till he could grasp the hand of his old mentor. It was still warm. Persivian bowed his head. On a dresser to his left sat Guia, staring at Lehrar’s remains and mewling mournfully. Jud’ami looked upon the kind, wizened face of his teacher, now contorted with pain, the blue eyes staring glassily ahead. There was blood everywhere. Stooping down, he closed the eyes, and traced a cross over the old man’s body.

At that moment the spell-swords emerged into the room, panting. They took one look into the room and blanched. One, a woman, screamed softly in shock, the other turned and exited swiftly. Persivian’s keen hearing picked up the sound of retching from the other room.

Finally he wiped his eyes and stood. His mind was dull with sadness, and he did not notice that his hand left a streak of blood across his face. Cloudy eyes stared hollowly out of a mask of red as he asked Jud’ami, “How was he killed?”

“He – ” when his voice came out hoarse, Jud’ami cleared his throat and tried again. “He had his tongue ripped out. Through his chest. It’s completely open, you can see his heart…what’s left of it…” Here he had to stop. The sea-wizard looked away and wiped his eyes.

Persivian closed his own eyes, hot tears running in salty tracks down his cheeks. He felt bile rise in his throat. A thought rose unbidden in his mind – this must have been how Dolan had been killed. Suddenly the wizard became aware of everything. He could feel the hot stickiness of the blood on his face, his hands. His boots crunched on fragments of bone, and the reek of blood and fear, vomit and pain was everywhere. Slowly his hands clenched. Anger was beating against his brain, clouding his mind. It was intoxicating. When his sightless eyes snapped open, they blazed. The spell-sword remaining in the room saw it, and backed away.

The sound of buzzing vibrated in Persivian’s ears. The flies were drinking, already fat from Lehrar’s blood. For one perfect moment, the wizard hated them. He focused on them; they burst into flame and trickled down through the air in little clouds of ash. The silence was restored. But not for Persivian. In his mind he could hear his old friend’s dying scream…

Jud’ami placed his hands on Persivian’s shoulders and looked up at him. “My friend,” he said, but no more than that. Persivian realized he was shaking.

“I will find him,” he said through clenched teeth. “I will bring the bastard who did this to justice.”

His friend nodded. “We will,” he vowed.

Finally Persivian nodded. He began to concentrate on his breathing, slowing it down, stilling his quaking muscles. Closing his eyes, he concentrated on his anger, keeping it intact, but putting it away, for the time being. It was still there, beating dully in his heart, but no longer all consuming. It could be controlled now. At last the wizard opened his eyes. His attention was then drawn by Guia, who still sat on the dresser. “Here,” she said. When he cocked his ear toward her, she pressed her paw down lightly. There was the sound of crackling glass. “The mirror has been broken. Nothing else is out of order though, except over here.” There was a light thump as the cat jumped off the dresser and crossed over to the desk under the window. Persivian followed her, carefully stepping around Lehrar’s body. He heard Jud’ami drape a cloth over it.

“Lay your hand down on the desk,” Guia instructed. The wizard did, but felt nothing. There were no books, papers, or quills, only a fine powder.

“Ash,” he remarked. Rubbing his fingers together, he repeated, “There is only ash.”

Jud’ami stood beside him. “I expect that someone was watching our friend,” he said. “He must have been about to find something, so they m – murdered him, and destroyed his work.”

The other wizard had to agree. He wanted only one thing – to find out who it was that had ended the life of his mentor, and destroy him. But they had so little to go on…where could they go next?

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice chapter!! Cool

Next next. Ah. No. Got nothing, but I will ponder it oh yes.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sniffs* Surprised

Awesome chapter. Shocked

It's 5:40am so I'll think about it as I wake up a bit more.

Happy Writing even if the product isn't so happy. Smile
Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great chapter Dragon Very Happy

So... we've left it too late to see our mentor. It's possible we could still find something in the empty house that Jud'ami visited earlier.

I think it's worth the time to really explore this place though. Difficult through blind eyes, but maybe they could split up again. Jud'ami could stay here and see if he can pick up any scraps of information. Paper fragments that remain unburned, maybe? Letters that were being written? More gemstones like the ones we found? Who knows, but we'd kick ourselves later if we didn't give the place our full attention.

Meanwhile, Persivian could return to the house and see if anyone is around now. Even if they're not, it might be possible to get inside and have a prowl. He's angry enough not to care about a bit of law-breaking.

I'll think on it further and come back if I have better ideas Smile
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be able to use their magical abilities to assist them. Whether it be a vision of the near past, or summoning a demon or something to aid them in some way.

Let your magic do the walking.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body is still warm and Guia didn't know it had actually happened until a few seconds before they got in the room.

Get the palace/compound locked down. Get the place crawling with spell-swords and split up and try to get the assasin. Surely Guia could be some help there?

Jud'ami's loud voice spell out the nearest window should get the gates sealed quickly, and raise the alarm effectively. Speed is the essence.

I think the immediacy of this action will also help Persivian cope with the anger (although he's done pretty well so far).

Happy Writing. Smile
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice chapter even if we did arrive too late.

I agree we should raise an imediate alarm so that no-one leaves and begin a thourgh search for both the assisn and anything that might give us a clue why our menter was killed.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cheers* A new chapter, which I just read. Wonderfully written, dragon.

I go with everybody else. Immediate attention must be done to keep anyone in the area within the area.

I like the idea that Judami stay and search through the remaining stuff. Maybe Persivian could look into the past. I keep thinking that he being blind gave him a gift for something.

-Confucius
dragon_fire372
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so it seems that so far our plan is this: lock down the compound, and have Jud'ami stay and investigate the room. You could also have Guia aid in the search for an assassin. Meanwhile, Persivian can go investigate other sources. He could look into the address of Borgen Oculdo, or he could try to look into the past.

If this is your choice, here is how it may be done - he could study Minaar's gems a little more and try to use the scrying stone, or he could have someone else help him. Persivian doesn't have any scrying ability, though he does have some pretty intense magical gifts. (In a later chapter I'll explain the rules of magic here a little more, so hopefully then you'll be able to see what Persivian's gifts are.) Don't lose hope though. Persivian isn't able to look into the past, but he knows someone who can...

Anyway, this is how the basic plan for the next chapter is looking. I won't post a poll unless someone comes up with a completely different plan. If anyone has more comments, let me know!

saxon215

Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenwing wrote:
Smee wrote:

Well you see, Smee. You yourself writes long chapters for your storygame, so of course you wouldn't mind. I, on the other, am an enigma that likes/dislikes long chapters. *grins*

And we all know, Sax, here has an attention span as short as a fish.

*measures a fish* woah, thats pretty small, hang on, you never specifies what type *spends the entire day measuring different fish until he fins the longest, a bass strait swordfish from tip to tail measuring a whopping 56 cm long* well personally i dont think thats that small an attention span
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I meant that just like a fish's memory is only about 3 minutes long, maybe shorter than that, you have the attention span at the same length. *grins* Okay, you're right that 56cm is quite long, I will grant you that.

-Confucius
saxon215

Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure we're still talking about attention span here Wink
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure, we're on the same wavelength. A fish's memory is three minutes, and your attention span is also three minutes long. Now we could go on and question your memory if you want to. LOL.

-Confucius
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure, we're on the same wavelength. A fish's memory is three minutes, and your attention span is also three minutes long. Now we could go on and question your memory if you want to. LOL.

-Confucius
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't a goldfish have an attention span of about 3 seconds?

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Twins - now we truly know Rave is properly back. Very Happy

It's true fish have a very limited short-term memory, but they do have a long-term memory and with enough repetition they can learn simple things - like when it's feeding time and where in the tank to wait for it.

*stamps on pnume*
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should definitely search for the assassin! But just to cover our tracks, perhaps we should feel for magical auras in the room the murder happened. Dolan had an enchantment on him that caused the same damage. It isn't possible Lehrar had the same latent spell effect is it? Was the mentor perhaps part of this conspiracy?

Additionally, whoever used magic on a wizard is no mere backstabber. We shouldn't be expecting a sword-weilding ninja running around the compound. In all likelihood, our attempts to catch the murderer are already futile because the magic-user who killed Lehrar could probably disappear very quickly. Thus we must rely on magic to help us discern most of the clues.

And here's a thought, the book (or books) that were destroyed. Either they were in his library already or he borrowed them from someone. We should check his bookshelf for a gap which might give us an idea (if the books are alphabetized) what he was reading, or else contact fellow wizards or sages who may have given him the book in the first place. Servants might also give us clues to what he was reading. If the wizard was killed for it, we should find out what it is, perhaps find out about it through another book or knowledgeable source.

What should be the title of Part Two?
Hunt for the Shadow King
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Darkest Quest
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Visions of Shadow
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Shadow Quest
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7
Who Voted: Chinaren, Lebrenth, LordoftheNight, Mother Goose, NeverNeverGirl, Smee

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: