Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Time Before : Discussion and Voting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Time Before
View previous topic :: View next topic  

ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Topics: 58

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, a new chapter! I'll run off to read it and return soon for a proper comment. Very Happy
Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
17436 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great chapter. Very informative - and a few sneaky details tucked away beneath the sightlines Very Happy

First of all, we may well have heard of this before, but the Captain mentioned a dig-site from which these tomes were unearthed. If we can get a location on the dig-site, it might come in useful at some point (for example, if the wagon were to mysteriously come a cropper before it was put to its full use).

That aside, though, I think we should definitely let the captain know about the troublemaker. The Sempa are bound to have some spies and double agents watching and sabotaging the side of good. It would be in their interests to sow discord about any Mages who chose to join this side - which is exactly what the lieutenant was doing. I'm sure the Captain will take it seriously. He's a military man, he must know the stakes involved.

I'm sure that Trengin will want to go to the bridge. Whether Srune and Roah go or not, he's got to be curious about this other mage - and about the ancient magic of the bridge itself. It seems the obvious place to go to answer all his questions so far (at least, to his knowledge).

They should take with them the books about Alchien that they've collected so far. He sounds powerful and there's bound to be texts of forgotten knowledge in there. Also everything about the bridge that they can find.

And that's enough for now. Phew! Very Happy
OmegaTerra
Citizen

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
4582 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runs off with Fauna.

And the story goes The Orc and The Not so Fat Fat Fairy

The Orc says....
The Twisty Stoat says....
Suneila

Items

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Does this mean the General trusts the Circle?

I think they should definately go to the bridge, especially now that they know there must be a mage there (or must have been). Srune will want to go, because this mage may be willing to join his Circle, or their little circle might meld into a bigger, unknown one. Trengin should also want to go, if only for curiosity's sake.

I posted a few technicalities here. Just some typos.

~sunny
Suneila

Items

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. It took me so long to do those links, two people snuck in before me.

~sunny
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sunny - great work, appreciated. Very Happy
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trengin will want to go to the bridge, whether the other two go or not. In fact, it might be prudent for him to take what info he has on the bridge and head off that way, while the others stay with the caravan for a bit longer. More time to inventory and study, and protect the caravan until it is closer to its destination.

Doubtful the Sempa have spies already, since it seems that they haven't really regarded the soldiers as a true threat. However, dissention should be brought to the attention of the leaders, so that potential problems in that area can be addressed now.

What happened to the book that the sleepy Trengin didn't read? Where has it gone, as he sat it aside but hasn't mentioned it since? Cool

The War Room :biggrin:

Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about going to the bridge. Given how much valuable stuff there is in this caravan, and the fact that we know the Sempa know about it and want it, I think the highest priority is to get the caravan to Etonreh, and then hide its contents.

On the other hand, the General has asked us to go, and given that his people own the caravan, it's kind of hard for use to refuse. So I agree with Fauna that we should split up - let Trengin go to the bridge, while Roah and Srune keep the caravan safe.

I also agree that we should tell the Captain about the trouble-making lieutenant. The captain seems like a sharp guy - I think we can trust him to take whatever action is appropriate.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Topics: 17

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A well-written chapter, Smee. And like Shady said, very informative.

Key makes a good point that the caravan is a high-priority due to the wealth of information it contains. Any more information the Circle can find about the bridge would be most helpful. So I agree with Fauna's idea of having Trengin detouring to the bridge, while Scrune and Roah stay with the caravan as researchers and guards.

And along with everyone else, it would be best that the Captain be alert to any troublemakers among his troops. This is perilous time, so the group must be on their feet for any shady dealings going on behind their backs.

Any books or scrolls about the shield, and perhaps those about the rune magic of Alchien I think would be some good sources to start with.

Cool

Samadhi Traveler 2005 Nano Wrimo winner (53,019 words)

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
21370 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say to stay with the caravan, and I was wondering.

Is there some spell that would allow them to simply copy out information, so that they could take it with them anyways? I mean, really quickly, not having to write it out themselves.

Or just absorb the information directly from the books - something like that.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts Lordy.

For the second - no.

The books don't contain knowledge, just words. It's the readers interpretation of the words that imparts the knowledge. A spell can't take that from a book and put it in someone's head.

As for the copying idea. It's certainly nothing that anyone has tried before, but with a few months investigation and practice then it might be possible in some form. It'd certainly guarantee an income after the war if they could learn something like that, Libraries everywhere would want their services. Shocked

For now though I don't think it matters, if you go to the bridge you have permission to take with you whatever you want.

Thanks for the comments guys Very Happy
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say it, but Key beat me too it. The items are far too valuable to risk. Stay with them and then go to the bridge late. The fact that they can't contact the bridge probably* means it is already too late.

*Certainly, as we know.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chinaren. Smile

Just a quick thought to interject.

If the General suspected the worst, - i.e. the bridge has already been attacked - then his urgency is likely to be even greater that it is now.

He would immediately assume the Sempa will be soon reinforcing it, and the idea of entrenched Sempa behind the shield would be scary.

In that situation he'd assume Hunt and the mage that was with him are dead and therefore all their knowledge on how the bridge-shield works lost with them.

However, as has already been noted, the caravan could be of infinate use given enough time to study the contents.

A tough call - although splitting Trengin from the circle seems a reasonable plan, but it'd leave Trengin on his own.

I'm glad I'm not voting.

Happy discussion Smile
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we to have a poll up soon? I am beginning to think most people are leaning toward the idea of splitting the Circle. At least that is what I am interpretating from the posts above. Cool

-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only posted the chapter yesterday - patience Smile

Others may yet persuade people to another alternative.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes. Patience is a virtue, but not for everyone. Including me.. Cool Ah well, I have to wait.

If there is to be an alternative suggestion, do tell me. *wanders off to wallow in plot bunnies*

-Confucius
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
17436 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One further thought on this chapter.

If there are suspicions that the bridge has been taken by the Sempa - and it's bound to be considered as at least a possibility - is it safe to send any of the books over there with our Mages?

They've spent all this effort protecting the caravan - it would be a bit stupid to walk straight into enemy hands, carrying everything that they'd need to learn about controlling the bridge.

And I still don't think the team should split up. The books are extremely important, but so is the goodwill of the armies on whose side they are fighting. We've already seen how deep the suspicion of Mages runs. If the General has asked for a favour, then it's an extension of his trust in us. It should be nurtured, not thrown back at him because of the Circle's own interest in the magical tomes and scrolls...

...if you ask me... (which nobody did) Wink
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shady Stoat wrote:
O
If there are suspicions that the bridge has been taken by the Sempa - and it's bound to be considered as at least a possibility - is it safe to send any of the books over there with our Mages?

But wouldn't it be better to get a confirmation instead of just believing a rumor?

I think we have the choice to either take a dare, or play it safe.

-Confucius
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
17436 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering whether it would be possible to place some sort of stealth effect on the books, to make it impossible for them to fall into enemy hands?

Given what I know of the magic system here, I suspect not. Still, although I'd like the Circle (or at least Trengin) to go the bridge, I don't think they should go all the way there with the books.

Possibly hide or bury them within half a day's trek of the bridge? We need the knowledge, but at the same time we need the Sempa not to get hold of the same knowledge. THat's all I'm saying.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good though, Shady. How do you come up with these ideas? Wink

I am all for protecting books. Is there some way we can memorize what we can and then hide them like Shady here is suggesting?

I think earlier someone suggested making duplicates, but that wasn't possible I think. Nonetheless, I think someone should go to that bridge. The rumor needs to be confirmed.

-Confucius
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason not to split up at this point. The situation is the same as before- Sempa attacts and distrust of mages- but that's the way things were before the Circle and everyone got about without being in a little group then.

Trengin as yet hasn't 'joined' the circle officially. And I found it odd that the military leaders would want to send away their best protection for the caravan before it safely reached its destination anyway.

There are rumors and suspicions that the bridge would come under attack, but the caravan is a confirmed target. Prudence dictates that two stay with the caravan. Their services are voluntary, and the request to go to the bridge not compulsory. Splitting up honors both options- protecting the caravan and checking out the bridge.

Preventing the knowledge from falling into the hands of the Sempa is vital, and I agree that taking such information alone and all the way to the bridge is not wise, especially since there has been no word from Hunt. Stashing the info in a safe place before reaching the bridge sounds like a smart idea.

Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F5 Fauna. Remember that the only reason the bridge has any strategic value at all is because of something you found in the caravan. Keeping safe the caravan's trove of secrets is top priority.
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wonders what planets have aligned in order for her and Key to agree so much on TTB*

Razz

Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Poll is up.

Thanks for your comments. Very Happy
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
21370 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted, and winning.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fauna has persuaded me with her thought out post at the top of the page. Cool

-Confucius
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - Poll is closed. Thanks everyone for your votes. Very Happy

Trengin will suggest he heads to the bridge alone whilst the other two continue on to Etonreh.

------------------

I'm sorry for the delay in Norral's latest chapter. It seems an age ago that you began the walk into the Elders enclave to report back.

It's proving to be a tricky, and important, chapter to write and I'm only a few hundred words into it. Some discussions in Battle to the End at the moment could also have some impact on it, so I'm also awaiting the results of that.

It will be out as soon as I can. Very Happy

Happy Awaiting Smile
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're writing a difficult storyline, Smee. Just keep the good writing coming. Very Happy

-Confucius
Stubby

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that's what I call bad timing!

I finished reading this first thing this morning, but didn't have time to reply, and in the meantime, Smee's gone and declared the poll over.

Rats.... Darn...... Poot. *grin*

Well, I didn't have anything to say that hadn't been said already, and I agree that splitting is probably wisest, and NOT taking any books too close to the bridge is also a safe course.

Just make sure that someone reminds him that the mission was recon - not to try to take the bridge back again.

So the only thing left for me to say is...

Happy writing.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol - thanks Stubby.

And it's great to have you catch up Very Happy

The poll's still there, so you can vote if you want - I won't be writing that chapter until after the next Norral one Smile

Happy Reading Smile
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to that next chapter for Norral.

-Confucius
Sorrow_A

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we know? The bridge has been taken, the keep has been captured, the shield is still functional, and a mage has been taken captive.

What they know? Nobody's heard from the keep for days, there's supposedly a very powerful magical shield, and that Hunt had a mage that activated it.

I bet that they suspect that the keep is safe. There's a mage and a shield. If that mage is anything like Srune or Trengin, it's safe.

Of course, they probably can guess that the Sempa know about Hunt's mage, and have spies and stingers.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Everybody

Chapter 14a has just been posted here. Smile

Happy discussion Smile
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
17436 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Good, complex chapter there Shocked

So there is a reason for this war after all. I wonder why the Sempa have refused to negotiate thus far then? It seems that all they want is an end to the oppression - or at least that's how it began.

I suppose they feel that they can now take by force what was denied them for so long. Maybe they'll feel more like negotiating if the tides of the war start to turn against them, or if it becomes a prolonged stalemate.

I'm interested in this library too - wondering if it's the archaeological dig that the good side have got hold of relics and scrolls from? After all, it was the only known record of Alchien's works, and now Trengin and co. have a copy of a book by Alchien.

Perhaps it's all beginning to come together. *officially intrigued now*

Last edited by Shady Stoat on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Stubby

Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great (half) chapter. Can't wait for the rest, but don't worry, I won't be holding my breath (we have Soloman for that!)

Some fascinating history, and another spirit traveller( s ). Hmmm interesting.

I wonder if the good guys know about that library (or is that the ruins that they're excavating?)

I'd be careful with the spying magic if I were Norral - getting caught at that would mean a very quick trip for re-education, and a probably a temporary suspension of breathing rights.

Then again, the more he knows about his leaders, the more informed and 'useful' he can appear to them!

Fine line.... walk it carefully Smile

Happy Writing Razz
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, a very interesting insight into the Leader's past. It certainly tells a lot about him, and the Sempa themselves.

But like Stubby here said, Norral best be careful about eavesdropping. He is still a subordinate, and a new Eraser squadleader also.

-Confucius
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
21370 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur, avoid eavesdropping to the most part. It is likely they wouldn't appreaciate anyone knowning just what they were up to. And as much more powerful mages, they'd probably be able to work out what he is doing if he tries.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting developments. Norral has won even more favor, and likely his spying was obvious but allowed. I look forward to the conclusion of this chapter.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, a nice bit of history there, very informative, even if it was reluctant. Wink

I also await part 2.

*Bides*
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
13532 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*grabs the ever-familiar stool out of its usual hiding place* I too await part 2. Cool

-Confucius

How does Norral answer the guard?
Humbly deny all knowledge of any Sempa?
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Explain that your fire was throwing up a lot of sparks last night? Easily mistaken for fireballs at a distance.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Sempa killed your family. You're heading straight to the Capital to complain and demand recompense?
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Author option (DO NOT USE)
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7
Who Voted: algu95, Chinaren, D-Lotus, DeadManWalking, Key, Reiso, Smee

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Time Before All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 11 of 16
Jump to: