Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Hero and the Assassin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote! That said sorry for the delay so go ahead...choose the peril for our brave heros....

"Music makes you braver."
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted, and tied.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can never resist a good tower.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Topics: 17

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I think I will choose the Drakon. I have no desire to visit a tower or do any training. *laughs*

Samadhi Traveler 2005 Nano Wrimo winner (53,019 words)

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh goody, we're off to see some magicians about a second hand scroll....I sense close encounters of the Smee kind coming up!
----------------

Chapter Seven: The Quest Begins!

Despite his attempt at valor the thought of facing a drakon, any drakon, even a drake, nevermind one as powerful as Maegia made his innards twist into curley knots any sailor would have been proud to call his handywork. The Tower of High Magik, despite it's reputation, at least had people in it.

"Well Inthas? Or did a wight get your toung?"

"No Xsyle I was merely pondering the options for our outing." She smiled, reavealing a pair of fangs nestled at the corners of her mouth, funny he'd never noticed those before. "I've decided that our best option is the Tower of High Magik." Xsyle's brow grew darker and, for a moment he thought she'd strike him. Instead she walked over to a tree and wrenched herself off a stout limb. With a few skilled movements with her 'claws' she stripped it down to an effective weapon.

"Well at least the walk will give me time to whip you into shape. Let's get going Inthas, we've got a continent to cross." Inthas put on his helm, took off his helm, put on his helm, and took it off once more.

"I'm sorry Xsyle but I could have sworn you just said walk across a continent." She turned back at him and Inthas got the eerie impression that, even blind, she was staring at him. Then she smiled that sweet, venomous smile at him.

"Why yes Inthas, I did. You didn't think that the Gods were going to give you a mount right out of the blue did you? Did you honestly think you were going to start this quest mounted on some grand, winged horse weilding that blazing sword to the justic of all you come across?" The flush that colored Inthas's cheeks was an indication that he'd been envisioning just that.

She didn't need to see him to know his reaction and she laughed. "Poor innocent Inthas. There's a whole world of cruelty I must school you in and here's the first part." She walked over to him, caught hold of a chunk of hair, and pulled his face down until it was flush with her other hand. "What do you smell Inthas?"

He tried to jerk his head up and was rewarded as his hair was yanked painfully. "Try it again and you'll start a new fashion with your bald patchs. Now what do you smell?" Inthas closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, trying not to think how odd and humiliating this was. "Well...?"

"Steel...Cold steel...Magic...Blood." The smell almost overpowered the others. It was the first and foremost scent on Xsyle's hand, ingrained even over her own smell, which Inthas could neither detect nor discern.

"Even over a distance, even without my physical body, my hands still reek of blood Inthas." She released her hold on him and picked up her impromptu walking stick from where it had fallen in the dust. "Don't forget that lesson Inthas. It's the difference between you and me. I know the depths of evil, and those depths know me. You..." She shook her head. "A babe in the cradle is scarce more innocent than you."

Without so much as another word she turned and began to walk down the road, humming an old ballad to guide her way. Sparing a glance at the sun, which was already beginning to shimmer with heat, Inthas wiped his brow. Marching in plate armor...fastest way on Pharl to roast a man to death.
--------------------

It seemed like they'd been marching for days, even though he knew it could only have been a few hours, when Inthas collapsed from heat exhaustion. With a growl of anger Xsyle walked back to where he lay, unconcious and sweating. With another mild, and by mild I mean a grass blistering tirade, expression of her displeasure Xsyle fished around in the pouch on her belt.

Soon she pulled out a gem, white where hers was black, and held it between her hands, blowing on it to warm the magic within. Like the gem that clasped her cloak this gem was a soreal, a gem made to hold more things than any train of packmules could carry. Unlike most these particular gems were made only to carry a few specific items and to transfer them from storage to the correct part of the user in an instantanious flash.

Slowly Xsyle committed all of Inthas's armor and his massive sword to the gem's inventory leaving him in only the light undershirt and breeches that he'd had on under his armor. His belt she also left, and his cape. She tossed away the ornimental broach, a bit of tin trash, and set the gem there instead.

With another protest, this one about the stupidity of a certain northern race of people that happened to play a strong part in Inthas's ancestory, she laid cooling hands upon his brow, willing the fever away. Soon enough Inthas woke.

"What happened."

"You fainted o'noble warrior. Sun exhaustion from packing around the armor lunkhead. Next time let me know something's wrong."

"What you, the omnipotent Xsyle, couldn't tell?" Inthas was a gentle man with an even temper, but push him too far and you'd find all that righteous anger that motivated any knight. "You, with all your wisdom and power, couldn't notice I wasn't well?"

With stinging swiftness Xsyle slapped him hard...once. But once was enough to leave his eyes watering and his ears ringing. "Fool! I'm here to guide you, to help you, to train you, not to play nursemaid! You're supposed to learn to rely on yourself! How can you do that if I'm hovering over you attending to your everywhim! I already do too much for you, shading you from detection!"

"Detection! By who!" Xsyle shook with suppressed rage. I can't kill him, they'd be rather unhappy, I can't kill him. She took one look at him standing there, so defiantly innocent, and shook even harder. Oh Lord and Lady I'm gonna kill him.

A gentle touch, a pair of them actually, reached into Xsyle and cooled her anger the same as she had cooled Inthas. She understood the message and knew it was for the best. Tonight she'd have her fun with him, tonight when he settled in for peaceful slumber. Peaceful wasn't what he was going to get.

The sense of them left her, the Lady retreating back to Ascanda while the Lord spoke privately to Inthas. Xsyle had no idea, didn't want to know, what the God said to his Paladin, but whatever it was made Inthas's eyes go very wide and his face very pale under it's sunburn, not that she could see but she could tell Inthas was shocked.

When they were left alone on the road neither spoke for a time. Then Xsyle turned and began to walk. "Let's go."
----------------------------

They made several more miles before nightfall, Inthas limping painfully from his injured feet. "I thought it would be easier without boots. Boots chafe, they rub blisters, they wear out, or drive nails into your feet. But all that's worth it compared to this." They sat under a shady apple tree, nothing but the cloak to protect Inthas from the night air.

Xsyle seemed dim and faint in the twilight. "You should get some sleep Inthas. We've got a long way to go tomorrow." The big man nodded, settling into his cloak with the weary resignation of one too exhausted to care where he slept. His eyelids fluttered shut and for a moment he was in a blissfully dreamless sleep.

Then suddenly he was awake and standing in a medow. Xsyle stood across from him, a pair of gleaming swords in hand. She flipped them around expertly. "Not my usual pair but they'll serve for your training. Are you ready Inthas?" Before he could answer she lunged at him, forcing him to recall his training and defend.

"What are you doing?" He asked inbetween blows.

"I've taken the liberty of bringing your spirit to another world while you dream. Here time passes slowly, a hundred years to an hour, and we shall train you here. You shall know much of what I know by the time we reach the Tower of High Magik, enough to be a skilled warrior at least."

Suddenly, as he was cracked hard on the ribs, Inthas realized this wasn't going to be fun. For one thing, since his body was sleeping, he wouldn't need to sleep, nor eat, nor have any other excuse for taking a break. Looking at Xsyle's savage expression he realized what he was in for.

"Lord and Lady protect me from this female."
----------------------

He woke in the morning sore and stiff, and not just from sleeping wrong. Somehow he knew that, even though he'd never physically undertaken Xsyle's challenges, that his body was benifiting from the dream-training. He wasn't going to ask how, or why, having a feeling that they'd lead to reather complex answers.

Instead he got ready to follow Xsyle and surpressed a groan when they got moving again. "How long do you think the trip will take?"

"On foot...oh the better part of two years." Inthas groaned again. "If you somehow manage to procure a horse....then things will go much smoother. A few months at the most then."

"Horse? Don't you need one?" Xsyle laughed.

"I weigh nothing, eat nothing, take up no space...Inthas nobody else can even see me. I don't need any horse, I'm not bound by those kind of limitations while in this half state. I'm touched that you care, I expected you would but I'm touched all the same, but you are the primary concern on this trip...not me." For a few moments Inthas looked out over the lands.

"So where's the nearest place to get a horse?"

"With what money?" Inthas jingled his coin purse. Even after a few hundered years with the wraiths the old coins would still be worth money, from face value alone although in these days of debased metals he'd be lucky to be given half value.

Xsyle chewed a fingernail for a moment. "Allbridge is the nearest and the largest. It's also probably got at least one spy, maybe more. It'll also have the best horses at the fairest prices. Tillmon is a little farther on down the road and it's much smaller. Less chance of somebody realizing what you are there...an even smaller chance you'll find anything but a plowhorse."

It was Inthas's turn to chew on a nail. "No magic steeds to be found eh? None at all?"

Xsyle turned to him, a cheery little smile lighting up her face. "I was hoping you'd ask that. There's a local legend about a fierce winged stallion named Horefrost. They say he appears on summer nights, chilling the air around him unnaturally. If you want I could call him, but you'd have to break him, alone and without help. Your choice. Buy a good horse in the big town, a bad horse in the little town, or try for the magical flying horse all on your own?"

Inthas began chewing on a new nail. He needed a steed if he was going to accomplish anything but his choices seemed grim. Risk detection, by whom he was still clueless, humiliation, when that stupid plowhorse refused to do more than plod, or injury, when the magical stallion refused him.

A painful decision indeed...

Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go to Allbridge and procure a good horse from there. Xsyle's got this guy so unsure of himself I don't think he'll want to tackle anything that seems challenging at the moment.

And, given that he's supposed to be the hero, he ought to start sticking up for himself more. Xsyle is acting like a bully and what sort of hero allows himself to be a victim? She may be better than him through more experience, but there's nothing wrong with demanding respect while she teaches him - and if he's not going to get it, then maybe he's better off without her.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes she's bullying him now. She needs to push him to his limits to see what she has to teach him and what he knows. Thus the poking nagging, the hope he'll pull himself out of self doubt. She wants to see the backbone he has under all that armor.

Don't worry Stoaty. She won't be mean to him forever. She actually likes the guy underneith it all.

Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have time to give this chapter a through read, but I will get back to you when I do. Very Happy

-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F5 Shady. Xysle I think has Inthas best interests in mind, it's that she has an odd way of showing that.

And going for the winged horse seems too elaborate of an idea. If they don't want spies to follow, best not get too fancy of a mount. Though I don't know if Inthas is thinking of that.

-Confucius
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I missed 3 chapters, but I'm back on track.

I was a bit lost in the first half of chapter 5 but 6 and 7 were much better, and then 5 made more sense. Smile

I think go for the big town/good horse. If a spy spots him and gives him some trouble it'll be good practice for him.

Happy Writing Smile
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your absence was noted but I just assumed that you were too busy. Glad to have you back Guildmaster. Very Happy

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New poll...test your voting skill...

Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how hard it is to resist this place over a weekend? Very Happy Anyways, I think it best we go for a 'good' horse.

Not much of test, Rai when it's a simple click of a mouse. Cool

-Confucius
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the Pegasus, because flying is cool - and much more impressive for a hero.

And created a tie.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How typical of you, Lordy. Very Happy

-Confucius
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I broke the tie...with unexpected results...
--------------------

Chapter Eight: A Bit of Heroics

As the suns rose in the sky Inthas's temper had finally had all it could take. "Look I realize that you don't have to be here, that you're doing me a huge favor by hanging around and teaching me everything that you know but I can't take it any more. I'm sick of being treated like a half-weaned child, an incompetant boob. You might have the better of me in age, experiance, and rank but I've never let anyone push me around before and by the Gods I'm not now. Given time, training, and half a chance I could become someone you'd be proud to associate with." He walked over to a tree and savagely ripped a limb off creating his new walking stick.

"I've gotten little more out of you than 'You're on a quest, I'm your guid, now follow me down the mountain and do everything I say' and that's not going to cut it anymore. I realize that you're probably wondering why you're stuck with me, an experienced but still junior knight. Well I'm wondering what I did wrong to get stuck with an up tight assassin like you." The massive knight strode angrily down the path, casting about him with his massive cudgel, not even bothering to see if Xsyle was following him.

"I'm not asking for much. A little explanation, some respect, a pair of boots would be nice. Is it too much for you to handle, a little civality? I'm doing my best to learn, to not embarass you. I'll do my best to meet the upcoming challenges as best I can but, damn you, quit pushing me around and respect me!" Xsyle was suddenly infront of him, cutting him off, with her eartips quivering and her mouth was little more than a jagged slash in her face.

"You want respect! Earn it Inthas! I'm not just going to give it to you because you've been chosen! Since I became the Champion, and believe you me it might not seem like a long time but it is, I've seen Great Paladins and I've seen Paladins. I'm trying to make you into one of the former instead of the latter but it's not easy! You've chosen the wrong era for the slow and steady method! If you don't shape up fast the Dark Lord's going to be picking your carcass clean."

Inthas waved his arms in the air. "That's another thing! Who is this Dark Lord! Who are these Spies! What's going on." Xsyle stared at the vista that spread out before her, the small cliff where they'd stopped for this 'chat'. She turned her face toward the sky where the twin suns painted it in silver and gold light.

"I can't believe you'd give him six hundred years worth of shifting boarders, changing customs, evolving languages, arts, sciences, and economics and conveinently 'forget' to mention the Dark Lord. You're either getting old or deliberately trying my paitence." Just like that twin bolts of lightning came out of the clear sky to scortch the earth just inches away from Xsyle. "No, that won't work. I'm not backing down this time. Either you tell him or I will tell him my way."

For an instant there was nothing, then the sense of Presences decended and enveloped them. By the time they departed the night was oncoming and the suns had long been set. Inthas stared over the night drenched lands with tears on his face. "Your people..."

"Yes I am the last Kanshugon. The last Pureblood from the Dawning of Pharl. Now you understand don't you. Understand why I must be the firm Taskmistress not the 'gentle but firm guiding hand'." Fpr a moment they were both quiet, watching as the three moons rose. One with his eyes, the other humming a ballad older than the mountain benieth them.

Finally Inthas answered. "Yes I do...and that is why I'm going to ask you to summon Horefrost." Xsyle put a feather light touch on his arm.

"You don't need to do this now Inthas, there'll be plenty of oppertunities in the future to humiliate you." But the big knight only shook his head.

"No, this is something I need to do now. Please send out the call." For a moment all was still again, then he felt the call go out rippling, like a stone thrown into a still pond.

"There is something I should have told you before Inthas. Horefrost isn't the only magical steed on the mountain. There is also Balefire who brings the blackness of abyssal night to a summer's noon. He too might answer the call."

Oppertunites to humiliate him huh? This must be one of them. "You realize that this information might have been helpful a few moments ago."

"Yes that's why I'm telling you at all." They stood waiting then, until the night grew suddenly cold and the smell of charred ashes reached the spot where they stood. "They're here." She whispered suddenly. Inthas brought his hand up to his cloak gem, a habitual gesture that was supposed to tempt luck into aiding him.

This time, however, he found himself suddenly cloathed in armor with his sword in his hand. Courage flooded his veins like a heady wine and he turned boldly to face the creatures that now flanked the path behind him. He was truely amazed by what he saw there.

On the left, his pinions ice encrusted, his breath steaming in his self imposed chill, stood Horefrost. His forehoof tore the earth under him nervously, frost furrowing the ground and spreading each time he touched a massive silver hoof to the ground. His white coat sparkled like snow under the sun, like crushed diamond drops, and his silky mane and tail were straight from a blizzards heart.

On the rigth, wings made of ebony flames, smoke rising from his four iorn hooves, pranced Balefire. His mane and tail were comprised of ever rippling fire, sparks of darkness jumping clear of them to deaden the night around him to complete lightlessness. His coat gleamed and glistened, a patch of darker than black amid the inky cloud that spread from him, consuming the moonslight utterly.

They took one look at each other and began to rear and paw and trumpet their clariant calls at each other. Their ears were pinned back against their skulls, teeth bared in open snarls. Inthas noted that Balefire had fangs with Horefrost had razor sharp hooves. The pair acted exactly like stallions battling for control of the herd. From what seemed like far behind him Inthas heard Xsyle's voice. "Did I mention that they hate each other with a passion?"

Bravely, heart pounding in his ears like tribal drums from the deserts of Akahmad, he walked down the path until he was dead center between the two stallions. Then he put his fingers to his lips, gauntlets and all, and whisteled the comman for 'Stand Ready' that was taught to all knights during their traning. Amazingly the pair of maddened stallions dropped to all four hooves and stood looking toward him for more commands.

Gently he sheathed his sword, feeling naked without it's reassuring weight, and reached out his hands to the massive stallions. He waited, sure that if they were not burned off or frozen solid that the horses would simply bite them off. He then gave the command for 'Come to Me'.

Almost instantly he felt two warm, velvety noses bump his palms. He turned and looked, astonished to find that both the massive beasts had come onto the path, separated only by the space of his body. He was even more astonished to find that their magic, flames and ice, had vanished and that a pair of magnificent chargers remained.

A plan formed in Inthas's head. With one quick movement he stepped from inbetween the huge beasts leaving them with no separation. They eyed each other once and then turned back to him, centuries old hatred forgotten in an instant. "Amazing. They remind me of a pair of charger's I once had. My mother bought my brother and I each a good horse as presents one year. My brother ran away before he could be given his though so she sent the colts to me."

"I was returning for her funeral when they disappeared. I missed them so much, especially on the walk up the mountain. I brought them both because I thought that my brother might attend, that I might be able to give him his mount, well-trained and well raised. But he never showed and I..."

Xsyle laughed. "They should seem familier...but that is a tale for a later night. For now let it suffice you to learn that you've earned a small mesure of respect from me Inthas...not enough to change how I'll treat you but enough."

The stallions offered no argument when Inthas's armor and sword returned to the gem. No argument as he mounted Horefrost. And Xsyle stood easily against the massive charger's flank, a map in hand. "Look Inthas. We are here, Wraith Mountain in Mascarella. Our destination is there, the Tower of High Magik in Finerss. We've got several options of travel."

She spread the map out farther, allowing him to see all the routs. "We can go due south, along the caravan route, through Amfra and Curassis. Or we can swing east a bit and follow the Escarpment all the way. Or we can go west through Fullheilm Marsh and BlackGate."

"Well due south and we'll attract attention...but it's the shortest. The Escarpment's not a problem with flying horses but well be running chronically short with supplies and the Marsh is known to swollow men whole while BlackGate is a known paradise for 'unsavory' characters." He couldn't help but notice Xsyle's grin at that.

"All and all I think we should go..."

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say take the Escarpment, especially if it's no problem for the horses.

Although she will most likely want to take the Gate.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I caught up, but still missed the poll. Confused

Nevermind.

Interesting chapter, although a little 'easy' in places. I think you have plans to explain that though, so I'll not mention them now.

I agree with Lordy, take the escarpment.

Happy Writing Smile
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Seem to have missed this chapter when it was posted on Sunday.

Your description of Inthas calming of the two stallions, I thought really showed something of his character. I don't know how else to explain it really. But I certainly saw something of the character other than a bratty, whiney knight, and paladin in training.

I definitely see Xysle wanting to go through towards the Gate. But since its Inthas' choice, I think he would rather go through the escarpment.

-Confucius
Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, life's rough enough for the Paladin at the moment, without adding extra trouble. Go for the escarpment.

I liked the dialogue more this time. There was a sense of balance between the two of them that had been lacking before. I'm still not convinced by her malicious tricks, but I'll wait to see how the relationship develops now... Smile
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does this DP seems somewhat one-sided? Confused

-Confucius
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave you guys plenty of good options...each one will make a chapter with more twists and turns than a sidewinder snake on a hot summers day....

You all just seem to think that one way happens to be much better for him than the others...

Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know we had options. It's just that one seems better than the other. There's probably no need to put up a poll.

-Confucius
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been numerous examples of when poll votes haven't matched comments either in number or opinion.

It's always worth sticking up a poll, if only to catch those Players that don't comment for whatever reason.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Smee! I call for a vote...so vote!

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Votedfor the old escarpment, and winning.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted.

-Confucius
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I cut this vote short because...well...I already knew what was gonna be decided...so no sense in keeping you waiting...
-----------------------

Chapter Nine: Logistics and Plotting

He tapped the map gently. "The Escarpment. With the magic horses we should be able to make the trip in...six, seven weeks tops." Xsyle gave a knowing smile and wrapped up the map. The little voice in the back of his mind chirped a warning but Inthas, caught up in the heady rush of his success with the stallions and the sense of adventure, ignored it.

The map vanished from whence it came, wherever that was, and Xsyle squinted into the darkness. "Well perhaps we should devote some practice time to the planning of this undertaking...as you already mentioned supplies will be a problem." Inthas grinned and rubbed Balefire's nose. Anything that stopped Xsyle from kicking his seat across the realms of sleep was good in his book.
----------------------

The next morning he woke with a start, surprising since Xsyle had let him plan the trip, with minimal help other than the occasional 'eh' or 'hum' or derisive snort. However, after studying the map to it's death, he'd come to the conclusion that running out of supplies would be the least of their worries. There were several interesting markings on the map, in a very old unusual language, that could have ment anything.

But whenever he asked Xsyle about it she'd shrug her shoulders and say, "Don't ask me, the map came with the job." Apparently Champions got equipped by the Gods as well...that must explain those odd gauntlets of hers. Yet, strange markings aside, his sense of adventure was undimmed.

Thus the morning brought with it a grand sense, undimmed by the fact he now would have to buy supplies...with outdated coinage. "So the fate we escaped going to buy the horse in Allbridge now comes back to us." Inthas turned to Xsyle.

"So just what are we up against? I mean are they that important to the Dark Lord?" Xsyle looked at him then pulled out the map again. Inthas really had to learn where she kept things. She tapped the small region that was labled 'Wraith Mountain' in a larger zone marked Mascarella. The map magically zoomed in to show a detailed map of the region.

"At the top of this mountain are the Wight Caves...a place where all the dead on the mountain are buried." Inthas noted that...it didn't seem practical to him but then tradition wasn't known for being particularly practical. Xsyle pointed to another spot on the map.

"This is Allbridge, one of two major towns on the mountain and the only access across the Ghoul Gap." Inthas shuddered. It was said that a great monster had once broken the crust of the world to create the gap, and that ghosts of those who's loved ones had been to tired or lazy to carry up the full way sought revenge upon the unwary for the injustice done them.

"I have no doubt that the Dark Lord will have at least one major agent there, for the simple fact of harnessing the engeries in the Gap for his own uses. Most likely there'll be two with several rings of under thugs. It won't be pretty and it won't be easy to get anywhere unnoticed but with the training I've given you it should be enough."

Inthas tapped the map thoughtfully, a name near the base of the mountain catching his interest. "And what's this place."

"Watch, the second major town on the mountain, the last in this region. You'll note that the southern trade route runs straight through it and it exports thousands of phrls, the current currency, in Spiritwoods each year. Inthas, startled, looked at all the trees around him.

"So the whole economy of the mountain is built on the trees...on lumber?"

"Well that and would-be heroes adventuring up the mountain, spending coin in towns along the way, but never coming down again. These good folks have learned how to make the legends of their mountain work for them. For instance, those stallions you so recently aquired. Over one hundred questers met their doom trying to catch them last year alone. These people make a substantial profit off idiots."

Inthas's eyes widened just a bit at that. "Well, will the Dark Lord have any agents there?" Xsyle gave him one of her 'you've been ignoring me' looks.

"Naturally. It's a huge market for magical woods and magical goods, plus being on a major trade artery. There'll be more agents there than in Allbridge. A risk of danger so high that it reminds me of my youth..."

Inthas returned to the map. "Can you have it move to the region surrounding the mountain?" Xsyle snapped her fingers and the map zoomed out, showing Inthas the region around the mountian again. After studying the map for a few moments he put his finger on a small marking off to the southwest...the last marking before the Escarpment rose out of map.

"What about here?" Xsyle focused the map once more, staring intently at the smudge mark...which had resolved into a moderately sized township.

"Ridgegate. It's a decent little town that ships farmgoods to the city of Watch. It's known for it's good food and fertile feilds. A garrison of the Mascarellian army was built there some years back to prevent invasion from over the Escarpment, though who'd be stupid enough to try that I have no clue."

Using the span between his first two fingers as a guide, Inthas 'walked' his way from where they were now...to that little township. "Would there be an agent there?" Xsyle shrugged.

"If there is...he's not really high on the food chain. However I'd rule this village out as your supply station Inthas."

"Why?"

Xsyle tapped one of the mysterious 'marks' on the map. "Because whatever this means...it can't be good..."
-----------------
Where do you go?

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this could be a chance to prove himself to her - go in, disregarding any danger posed by the mysterious symbol, in a chance to impress her with his bravery - or possibly foolhardiness.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I think otherwise. I think Xysle is right to be suspicious of that area. Seems too quiet, and unknown of a place. I would say head to Allbridge.

-Confucius
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We be polling so now be there voting here...

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By Watch, do you mean Ridgegate, or did you not put that on the poll?

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Watch, for no strong reason.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...the poll malfunctioned. Ridgegate was supposed to be option three but it didn't appear...damn.

Right then tell me if you want Ridgegate and I'll keep track of those votes...

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe get Smee to delete the poll and start again, before too many people vote.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New option added - only Chinaren needs to let you know if he wants to change. Smile
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I'm cool with it.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Mayor Smee! And by the way, since I don't believe I've said it before...Congrats!

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I voted for Ridgegate, as a chance to be heroic.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted.

-Confucius

So what will they do?
Another round of questioning?
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Differences lead to battle royale?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Uneasy alliance?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3
Who Voted: dragon_fire372, DukeReg

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: