Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Death of an Age, CHAPTER 27- ALL THINGS MUST END
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Topics: 9

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is up, so VOTE!

Please, I'd really like more than the last one... two! Which was one until I started writing the next chapter.

But anyways, more votes please!

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck my thing in! Very Happy
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had to go for dark alliance.

Voted, and winning.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. You know any ways to really get the word out about this story?

Cause in the begining it was drawing like 7 votes per chapter easy but it gradually siphoned off into, well, 2. Know any ways to get some attention?

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_D.Mented wrote:
Thanks guys. You know any ways to really get the word out about this story?

Cause in the begining it was drawing like 7 votes per chapter easy but it gradually siphoned off into, well, 2. Know any ways to get some attention?

It's a tough one. I recommend ChinAd agency. It worked for me! Wink

But seriously, posting comments in other peoples stories is the most basic way. That way you get your name known and your sig of course displays your games. There is the Shameless Advertising thread in er, the IFTI I think.

Otherwise there isn't much you can really do. Persevere though. Narg started with maybe 1 vote for about 5 chapters, went up to about 12 around chapter 15 and is now down to about 4 regularly. Hey ho, so it goes. Confused I press on.

Oh, put yourself forward for SGotM in the top thread that Smee does every month. Too late for this month, but next time...
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, C-Man. I've been browsing and posting a bit more, used the advertising thread, and I'll try for the SGOTM thingy next time around.

Hopefully, we'll get some more readers in on this thing.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for a dark alliance.

I think Forenius is going to regain his mind over the course of a few days. Then, perhaps, he has to stand trial to a hostile crowd. He tells the truth and doesn't get believed...

...until...

...is there an 'until'? Up to the author, really Very Happy

Good writing Jack Smile
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Shady. Good to have another reader.

Whew, glad to know some of that effort's paying off.

And I'm glad that you like the story.

Just to give a hint on the next chapter... I've had a really great character in my mind for a long time and I've just been itching to incorporate him into some story or another ever since I first made him on Icewind Dale...

He's one of my personal favorite creations and I have the full intention of if he goes over right, I may just give him his own tales chronicling his own adventures.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, next chapter then. Why not? Let's see...

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 8- Discussion

The cell was dark and putrid. It was better than his home in the troll encampment, Forenius had to admit, but none the less, it was hive of flith and waste. Food remains such as rotting fish heads and splintered fragments of chicken bone littered the floor as did the excrement that their digestion produced. Needless to say, the ten by ten box stank.

In the corner was a hunched figure, his face obscured by a red hood, which seemed completely unnecessary in such a subterranian enviroment, as once the thick door was covered, the darkness could only be rivaled by the inside of a coffin. Several times, the crusader attempted to approach the cloaked man, but was only met with stoic silence.

Still, he was still some form of company. Within an hour and a half, the hero had divulged his adventures up to the current point. It truly felt great to at least have some form of companionship whose entire existence was not hinged upon the destruction of all things great and good. His logic impelled him to think that his newfound friend was deaf and perhaps mute.

It had been almost a day and a half when Forenius began to ask things. His mind was still rather fragile from his sudden leap across space and it was inevitable that eventually the conditions would begin to wear upon his psyche.

Sitting on a bench, his knees cradled in his arms, the knight finally pondered the question that thus far his faith had repeatedly countered and blocked from proceeding from his lips. Before he knew it was being asked, the words burst forth and he winced at the implication of them.

"Has my god abandoned me?"

"No. Just gods do not abandon without provocation and you are a good man if what you have told me is truth," Intoned the cellmate with a voice that was all rusty nails and hardened steel.

Looking at him, umcomprehending, the noble was speechless.

"I have waited and listened, biding my time and determining if you were worthy," The shade expounded, finally standing to his full height, the scarlet robes stirring the stale air as he moved.

"Worthy of what, exactly?" Frozen lips finally forced out in question.

Reaching into his sleeve, the dark man withdrew a crudely fashioned blade that grimly reflected what little light there was.

"Of this," He proclaimed with a cold smile as he moved slowly away from the corner that he'd been guarding for this past while. His movements revealed a tunnel that shined with sun at the far end.

Gesturing toward the crude opening, he continued, "Or this."

"Escape and conquest is your destiny, Forenius, third son of the great house of Petrus. Let us take our leave of this wretched place."

Together, they scrambled toward the surface and away from the prison.

The Lady drew a chair up at the end of the long green table and looked intently into the twilight eyes of the man that was perhaps the only being that she knew of that could truly rival her power.

"How, do you know of me, vampire?"

"When you hover long enough in the state of undeath, somewhere between this mortal shell and eternal sleep, some say you can hear the gods whisper," The fiend replied with a sharp smile.

"What do you want?" She pressed on, determined to find out why this mysterious nosferatu was before her.

"Blood. The blood of thousands. The same as you. Just it so happens that I consider spilling it to be... wasteful, an activity that you seem to take up with relish."

"What can you offer me?" The flame haired countess countered, her own intentions never far from the forfront of any parley.

"Dark magics undreamed of, a supplement of ghouls to your ranks, and all I want is all your prisoners."

"We are not in the habit of taking prisoners currently."

"Times change," Damek replied, firing off with his own wit.

Knowing that she, in all truth, had no real option in the matter, and resigning herself to the alliance, the Lady had to ask one more thing.

"Why do you seek such an alliance?"

Nonchalantly, the undead responded, "Convenience. I am not as strong as I once was after these eons of rest."

Noticing the telltale movement of a beautiful hand to sword hilt, the damned one was behind the demi-goddess in an instant, breathing down the back of her lovely neck, his ice cold breath stirring the small hairs that commonly stand rigid at the prescence of such abominations.

"Still strong enough for you, woman," He whispered. "I need massive amounts of life's blood to restore me to my prior glory and you are the most expedient way of gaining such a thing. Simple, isn't it?"

She nodded.

"I am retiring to my chamber for now, as the sun is rising. I shall see you at another time, mistress," Damek stated as he exited with a mocking bow.

Just as d'Grorathia prepared to draw breath once again, the pale head protruded around the corner once again.

"And don't get any ideas, warmonger. I'm not like the fiery paladin. I do not like you, I do not lust for you, and I find your kind to be not much more than cattle. Remember this, stay useful, and you'll stay alive."

And with that, the malignant spirit was gone, for the daylight hours at least.

The Lady was left alone to ponder the deal she had just brokered. She believed it certainly for the best of her plan but prayed to her divine father that it would not somehow backfire. This hellion was not raw and elemental like Forenius and nowhere as easy to manipulate. Controls had to be implemented to insure that there would be no betrayal.

The road to divinity was long and filled with a great number of obstacles, it seemed.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, then. The decision point for this chapter is, what is awaiting Forenius and his cell-mate on the outside?

Abattoir Chapter 2!
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An angry mob. A stories not a story* unless it has at least one angry mob.

*Well, not an angry mob story at least.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe riots or the city is ablaze, or the war has come to these parts as well. Something that creates chaos and allows them to go towards their goals unnoticed, but still in peril.

Another good chapter Jack. I keep seeing these chapters late at night and forgetting to read them the next morning. Caught up now though Smile
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The reason you see them late at night, well. that's cause the night time is my writing time for the most part.

I crank up some Rob Zombie (well, that's what it's been lately) or something similiar and then I write away. I just let the music take me and I write whatever I feel.

I'll only have a couple ideas about what I want, but everything else is pretty much improv. Off Topic

But, ok, now back to the story...

Riot or battle? hmmm... Good options Shady one. And Lordy, just for you, I think I'll include an angry mob in there too.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angry mob plus invading army - nice one.

Voted, and winning.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Where's China?

I'm getting tempted to write some more soon.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed this somehow.

Very nice chapter JD!! My favorite so far I think, even if it did have a vampire in.

Very well written.

I voted for riot/rebellion, but all the options are good ones.

Proceed!
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked it, C-Man. I'll hop on that next chapter right away...

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 9- Daylight

The day rushed toward them from the end of the tunnel, the light flashing and dancing about before their eyes like a mistress of the seven vales. The two convicts moved ever closer to their goal, both of them eager to escape the hangman's noose and the damp hell lurked behind them with a gaping maw that threatened to devour their souls without hesitation. Like two moles, they clawed their way from within the beast of a fortress, damp soil clinging beneath their nails and clay painting their faces.

Upon reaching their destination, Forenius gave pause as he heard something that greatly disturbed him. His companion was no stranger to conflict and war either, and he too waited with great hesitation before the threshold. In wordless agreement, they both glanced out from the eathern sanctaury as one and surveyed the area before them.

Their senses were keen and sharp, as befitted fighting men of that era, but, for once, they would have preferred to have been lied to. But, alas, they were correct in their assumption.

There was a battle on. The enemy was within the city, people were dying and fires raged. The cries of the dead and dying echoed down the narrow alleyways and the smell of burning flesh and hair wafted across the wind. Blood flowed more liberally than wine at the richest of weddings, turning the river that cleanly cut the metropolis in half a great frothing red.

In a state of great shock and horror, the two warriors ducked back within their hidden refuge that so shortly before, they'd been willing to escape at almost any cost.

Trying his best to rationalize, Forenius could come upon only one conclusion for how the enemy host had arrived within the capital with such speed...

They had followed him through the portal within the abandoned city.

They had followed him. He should have destroyed the damned thing when he had the chance.

Now his family, his friends, and all that he had ever cherised were perishing within a hellish inferno that raced across the urban areas with unprecedented speed. The rage began to creep forward from within the darkest corners of his mind and his vision began to slowly fade to a shade of crimson.

He was awakened by his comrade, who placed a consoling hand upon the paladin's shoulder, snapping him from the berserker fury that threatened to swallow him whole.

"It's not your fault, young lord," The cloaked man intoned.

"They would have come here in time, anyways. And given as your own people would rather see you hang than listen to your words, this was their destined fate, no matter your course."

Looking at his friend for the first time, Forenius noticed something that had slipped past his attention within the confines of the dark cell. This man was a long haired hunter of the northern tribes, that was true enough, he could tell by the exotic weaves and braids in his hair that was ornamented with feathers and beads.

But it was something else that almost eluded his gaze. The man had the subtle high cheekbones, slightly pointed ears, and slight features of an elf, yet with the accent of a normal man.

"Yes, I can see it in your eyes. I am a half breed of impure blood. Half elven and half human barbarian. Both of which are commonly considered enemies by your state," The man responded with uncanny instinct.

"But I would rather have you know me for who I am and less for my lineage," He stated, extending an open hand in friendship.

"I am Larson of the Twelve Pines, bounty hunter."

The knight took the hand offered and shook vigorously. "I am Forenius Petrus, paladin and crusader and I have never been one to hold a man's parentage against him."

A slight grin crossed the bounty hunter's face, "Not to say that you are unpleasant conversation, my lord... but we have killing to do!"

And having said thus, he leapt from the pit, his red cloak swirling about behind him as it were in itself a living entity.

Close on his heels was the bloodthirsty crusader, who, by this time, had amounted for himself a mighty hunger for the hearts of his foes.

Larson fell upon the first troll that he beheld with great ferocity, stabbing it several times with his small blade that he'd hidden upon his person in the prison. Forenius, not far behind, seized a large chunk of rock and bludgeoned the foul creature until brains lay scattered about the street like roadkill.

Bending down, the knight grabbed up for himself one of the great obsidian axes from the ground that the mighty abominations were prone to use.

Raising an eyebrow, Larson asked, "Are you sure you can use that thing, hero?"

"Trust me, we know each other... intimately," The warrior responded, throwing the weapon across his shoulder.

"Well, I for one, would much rather have my own gear," The huntsman responded.

"And I so happen to know where it is. Back inside the prison."

Forenius looked at the cloaked figure as he began the long walk toward the prison gates.

"You're really going back inside, aren't you?"

"Absolutely," The half elf responded without a moment's thought.

"But the people out here need our help..."

"See how much help you are without armor or even a real weapon."

As much as Forenius hated to admit it, his confederate had a point. But he was still torn. Did he waste time, and perhaps, lives, by going back inside the tower to fetch his possessions or did he continue along the current route, hoping that he'd find something good along the way?

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the prison and gear up!

That was quick JdM
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree. Go back to the prison, you'll save more in the long run.

Good new character, btw Very Happy
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, go get your weapons.

The bounty hunter (or killer as you called him) is going there anyways, and you might well need his help.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much of a D-point this time around, but next chapter should be better, trust me. Very Happy

Abattoir Chapter 2!
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for the old prison break, weapon grap trick, and winning.

And when are we going to see more of the evil side of things?

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 10- Devout One

"Let's go in there silent," Forenius suggested to his counterpart, who was crouched a short distance in front of the prison with him.

Smiling, the half elf responded, "Why the hell would I do that? There's no fun in it."

He got up and left the knight stammering, unable to complete a sentence in his current state of frustration.

"Who's the paladin and who's the swashbuckler, o valiant hero?" The red cloaked bounty hunter taunted, prodding some movement from his companion, who hastily rose to his feet and gave chase.

"It's almost like you want to live forever, nobleman!" The rogue continued as they neared the heavy wrought iron gates.

Stopping upon the doorstep, he began to assess the situation. Forenius drew up behind, obviously working on the same problem.

"So, my flamboyant friend, how do you suggest we gain access to yon fortress?" The crusader asked, with more than a little irritation present in his cultured voice.

"Well, I reckon that I take this device," The bounty hunter replied as he removed a small crystalline orb from one of his many pockets and displayed it for his friend to see, "And throw it on ground."

Forenius would have asked how this particular course of action would assist them, but he was far too distracted by the billowing smoke that the sphere produced when shattered.

He fully intended upon asking something along those lines when he was finished coughing if he had not been so awestruck by the sight of a red cloaked man bounding over the great wall in a single leap.

Within seconds, the palisade was open and his friend was standing there on the other side, waiting.

"H-how?" The puzzled warrior began to ask but he was interrupted before the sentence could be completed.

"Some things only elves are meant to know, my high born ally," Larson expounded, placing an arm around Forenius's broad shoulders as he ushered him into the prison courtyard.

Larson was shocked when in response to this, Forenius cast him roughly aside, sending his sprawling into the mud.

“What the hell?” The red cloaked man asked as he began to rise, only to see where a foul ghoul had been felled next to him, its rotten head cleaved in half with an obsidian axe.

Leaning down, the knight offered a hand to his friend, which was promptly accepted and used to hoist the bounty killer up to his feet.

“So, who’s he? Friend of yours?”

“No,” The paladin responded gravely shaking his head.

“Are you sure? I mean, he resembles most the nobility I’ve seen in my time,” Larson replied in jest.

“Not funny,” The warrior responded, shouldering his heavy weapon and marching off toward the central building.

“But true. After centuries of constant inbreeding, really? What can you expect, right? Right?”

Shouting over his shoulder, the soldier asked, “You coming or not?”

“Now, honestly, do I have anything better to do?” The fortune hunter responded as he gave chase, pursing his cohort.

Swinging open the oaken doors, they saw before them a mighty host of undead. Forenius followed his natural reaction and leapt amongst the pestilent zombies, hacking about with his great axe, cutting a red swath through their rotten ranks.

Looking down at his scalpel sized instrument, Larson, after a moment of consideration, asked himself, “Awww, hell. Who wants to live forever?”

He then joined the fray, ducking and diving as he shanked his way to Forenius. Drenched in both sweat and blood in equal measure, they met in the center of the chamber, panting in near exhaustion.

Flicking half a severed eyeball off his left shoulder during a lull in the battle, the mercenary whispered to his knightly accomplice, “Over there, about twenty feet away is the room with our stuff.”

Nodding, Forenius replied, “Ok, in three, we go, alright?”

“Stellar. Ok, three!” The rogue dashed forward, igniting another melee in his wake as he slit another corpse’s throat.

The crusader responded in kind, swinging about his trollish weapon, severing several heads, sending them rolling about like balls on the floor.

Upon reaching the armory and slamming the door behind him, Forenius asked between his desperate gasps for air, “What was that?”

Shrugging, the rogue simply responded with a slight grin, “Sorry, patience never was one of my strong points.”

Suddenly, another, new voice echoed from across the earthen room promptly breaking up the banter. His thick accent hinted at his great number of northern ancestors, dripping with malice and primal rage.

“Who are you to come so brazenly into my shelter from yon abominations? Speak now, or face the wrath of Cynyr the Devout,” The great blonde figure stated, pounding upon his massive chest as he stepped from the shadows.

“I do not fear you, barbarian, but if I must, I shall cut you down,” The paladin hissed through gritted teeth.

“And although I hardly know him, I count this man amongst my friends and shall fight beside him even if it grants me no more than a painful death,” Larson followed, dripping with hate for the ancestral enemy of his people.

The blonde behemoth laughed and spoke, “Ha! An elven half breed and what? An Imperial high blood? Normally, but for no reason than to sate my bloodlust, I’d slay ye both.

But my the Thunderer, my sacred warhammer, imbued with the spirits of my people’s greatest warriors of times long past, speaks and doth tell that you are warriors as well in measure.”

“And that means what, besides you’re a maniac?” The red cloaked rogue snidely asked.

“Tis means that I’d much rather cast my own lot with your own than do battle. If ye’d have me that is?” The berserker asked, taking a knee.

Despite Larson's emphatic pleas to the contrary, something of the nature of this man spoke to Forenius, which demanded that he allow this seemingly virtuous warrior to join their little triumvirate.

But, none the less, it was a wise arguement upon the half elf's behalf that it could result in folly to so willingly accept an ally from the belly of the beast...

Abattoir Chapter 2!

Last edited by Jack_D.Mented on Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, cranked out the newest chapter...

Do we accept this seemingly noble warrior into our ranks? You must ask...

But anyways, to answer something asked earlier...
Quote:

And when are we going to see more of the evil side of things?

Don't worry, Lordy... next chapter for that one. If all goes to plan, we shall have much more evil. Trust me Very Happy .

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say not. You need allies, but not ones that change points of view so easily. I'd be worried about getting a weapon to the back of the head at the wrong moment if I were either Larson or Forenius.

Go find the forces that are fighting on your side and tip the balance a little Very Happy
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good opinion, Shady.

But good news, guys. I'm gonna see about getting this one STICKY and hopefully, it'll net a whole bunch of new people.

But anyways, continue discussion on whether or not to accept the friendship of Cynyr the Devout.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, isn't Larson himself half-barbarian? Perhaps he's just trying to suppress his other half. I'd say accept his help, because if nothing else it's unlikely for a barbarian to come up with coming plans like that.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Larson is half barbarian as well, but his human ancestors are from a different tribe than Cynyr's. Their people are sworn enemies.

Hence, how Larson's view on the matter could be slightly tainted.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But anyhow...

Here's a poll. Have fun and think through this decision, as it will affect the story in ways unforseen, possibly even resulting in the death of a character.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was saying - how Larson couldn't really give a clear opinion.

Voted to accept his help, and currently winning.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
DarkeFlyte

Items

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah Ah. The guy just accepted, after he talked to his littlewar hammer. I have a feeling that the warhammer would leave a serious indention in Larson's and Forenius's skulls. A very BIG AND BLOODY indention, which I wouldn't mind but I want see how long they'll last before some people start voting for them to be cut down...Cheerful ain't I? Wink
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's definitely one way to look at it. I'm betting most people would be reluctant to accept a man who chats with his weapon on a regular basis.

Of course, then again, berserkers aren't exactly reknowned for being stellar examples of good mental health in the first place...

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Zeitgeist

Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_D.Mented wrote:
Here's a poll. Have fun and think through this decision, as it will affect the story in ways unforseen, possibly even resulting in the death of a character.

For a story with death in the title, your characters have been unfortunatly brimming with longevity. or in laymans terms kill them all Laughing
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 11- Doom

As much as part of Forenius trusted this earnest barbarian, something buried deep in the pit of his gut told him not to accept the services of this man. Larson, although his perspective was more than likely tainted by the great animosity between their tribes, had a point.

Forenius, thinking upon how to put the declining phrase in the most inoffensive manner, was spared the trouble when the gigantic warrior rose to his feet with a somewhat mournful look upon his scarred face.

“I see that, truly, a debate doth rage within this fighting man hotter than any great battle and I shall spare him the great trouble by retracting the offer of servitude,” Cynyr the Devout spoke.

Mounting a staircase, he took his leave of the duo as they watched without a word spoken.

Larson, being by far the more wordy of the pair, was naturally the first to shatter the silence.

“Well, that was awkward as hell. Let’s grab our gear and roll out, shall we?” He asked, with a slap across Forenius’s broad shoulders as he ran toward the evidence vault.

Shrugging the notion that the area had suddenly grown colder, Forenius followed sullenly.

The two hastily suited up within their respective armor and gathered their weapons and provisions without noticing the fog that slithered in beneath the door and curled around their feet in icy tendrils.

Try as he may, the knight could not rid himself of the feeling that he was being watched, a premonition that he soon found to be true as they prepared to exit the area.

A lone figure, bright eyed and evil blocked the door, his face covered with a menacing shade and his skin pale as ivory from having walked his entire life beneath the halo of eternal night. His silken black hair draped down across his back, barely discernable from his brown overcoat. A glint shimmered from the barrel of the crude flintlock pistol that was haphazardly tucked within his belt.

“Who are you?” Larson boldly asked to the menacing figure, only to be flung across the room by a flick of the thing’s wrist.

With a clatter of steel and the rustle of chain mail, he landed, sprawling on the floor.

“You undead bastard!” Forenius screamed, drawing the claymore from across his back and charging at the vampire.

He slashed, hacking at an opponent that easily outmatched him in blood, instinct, and skill. Every blow was blocked and countered with a small irritating scratch, as if the foe were a kitten toying with a grasshopper.

Glowing with hatred and rage, the crusader finally seized a cold hand within his own golden gauntlet and head butted the terrible beast with all his might. The force sent the opponent back a step, stunning him for a second.

Taking advantage of the opportunity, Forenius swung with a sure killing blow, but at the last instant, his enemy disintegrated into the fog from which he came, the great blade only cleaving air.

Appearing right before the warrior before he could react, the nosferatu grasped him and lifted him high from the cobbled floor with one hand, the extra one hundred pounds added by the armor having no effect on his supernatural strength.

“I am Damek, slayer of cities, boy. Know my name, for I shall be the last you know in this life,” The shade taunted.

He brought the hero closer to him, his yellowed fangs beckoning for the virtuous royal blood in those sacred veins.

At the last possible second, his face spasmed with pain and he threw the soldier across the room, hurling him through a pillar, shattering the stone with the impact.

Reaching around, the disgruntled undead lord noticed buried within his back one of Larson’s prize throwing tomahawks. Noticing the grinning triumphant look upon the swashbuckler’s face, he flashed across to him, seeming almost to teleport instantly.

He grappled with the reluctant man for a moment, but eventually prevailed, lurching his head back and sinking his elongated fangs into the half elf’s exposed jugular. Drinking deep of the exotic blood, he was unprepared for what happened next.

Before he could recoil from the blow, the unholy thing was smote aside the head with a large warhammer, tearing him from his victim.

“And nay, I do say, foul fiend. This one’s pure soul, ye’ll not be having upon this day,” Cynyr declared, hefting Thunderer back into reign.

“The last thing, you’ll say,” Damek replied, his mouth gushing with blood and his head slightly caved in.

Leaping high into the air, almost twenty feet from the ground, the vampire struck atop the barbarian’s head with a thunderous blow, burying his hand deep in the human’s brain and shattering his skull. Twitching for a second, the berserker dropped as the abomination licked the fresh fluid from his fingertips much like a child would do with a favorite dish.

Rising, Forenius thought at first that he may have been brain addled when he heard the voice speak from nowhere. But looking about, his eyes were drawn to the hammer, which lay beside the fallen fighter.

Reach to me.

Having no other plan, he stretched out a hand to the warhammer, and it seemed to fly to him.

Damek, still distracted with the delicacy upon his fingertips did not notice this.

Strike the dead one. Strike him with all the might of your fathers,It whispered across the endless breadth of the ages.

Charging the thing, he screamed, drawing all the strength of his proud ancestry for the coming blow.

Just looking up in time to barely see the attacker, the vampire was nowhere near ready when the mighty weapon struck him.

The heavy mallet carried true, sinking deep into the beast’s abdomen, cracking his ribs and forcing him to vomit the still warm blood as he was slung backwards. Striking the thick stone wall, he shattered through it, even the ancient might of the fortress unable to contain the battle.

Tumbling out into the street, water slinging up about him, the apparition finally came to a stop against the wheel of a stopped cart.

Rising to his feet, the impure demon shouted in his rage, “Strike me as you may, holy one, but your friend’s soul shall still be mine in the time of three days!”

Having screamed his threat, he promptly transformed into a thick cloud of bats and flittered away into the night.

Rushing to Larson’s side, the paladin noticed that although he pained him to admit so, his confederate bore upon his neck two fresh bleeding wounds, indicating the vampiric infection.

Racking his brain for a solution, he could only think of two men who could help him. One was a mage and the other a priest. Shortly before he’d taken his leave of his homeland for the Great Crusade, he’d heard of these two working in tandem to produce a cure for vampirism.

The mage had fled long ago, protesting the war to a small hamlet not far away, but he believed that the priest lurked somewhere still within the city, more than likely in hiding. Which would be the better to search for?

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, new chapter and D-point...

Who do we look for? The mage in a small hamlet some miles away or the priest that hides somewhere in the city?

And how'd you guys like that for a chapter? Plenty of action and evil, I hope. Smile

Abattoir Chapter 2!
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither - let him change and hope he remembers just who he is.

And I bet you did that just so you could include a death, didn't you?

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of. I wanted to have a really big fight and I wanted somebody to die, but the main thing is that I wanted to start off STICKY with a bang.

The thought of having Larson get infected had been bouncing around in my head for a bit when one of my friends started talking about some stuff he'd really like to see in what he described as the perfect fight. BINGO!

So, I started writing away. Of course, Zeit up there, my roomie, is a big spoiler and just wanted to give a little *wink wink nudge nudge* to all you who it was supposed to surprise.

But don't worry, true believers, I'll do my best to not let him eavesdrop on any more of my epiphanies and just make him read the chapter with everyone else.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Zeitgeist

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked this chapter... the only one I never got to proofread. But alas I am a spoiler.. HA!.. I was just asking for all of their deaths and for lady whatshername to be victorious. And you call me a spoiler.. hmm.. maybe I will be lucky and all will become Damek food shortly. "or Larson food if all goes well"
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: