Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Hangover - Discussion thread - maybe even a cure!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summary is up - please let me know of any inaccuracies, or if anything important or any character has been missed out, and I will edit it in.

Thanks!

Smile
Polokin
Citizen

Topics: 0
Location: It seems that I'm not physically capable of visiting a forum... damnit!

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only characters I could see that were missing were me and BS, but apart from that, nice summary Wink

Edit: What I meant was, that in the second part of the summary, when you talked about who's where, we wern't mentioned.

Last edited by Polokin on Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*checks back*

You are both there, Polokin, in para 7, the one that starts 'D is suffering from amnesia' - it also talks about your hidden item in your pocket. Wink

I've actually edited some more bits into it, that I missed - the fact that Kalanna has IM's book of spells, Din has been dealing with some interesting stuff in Jester Park for the last 10 hours, and that IM's initial reaction to D's revelations was to go and find Key.

There's tons of detail laid down in the story, and I dont necessarily know what is significant and what is not, so if there's anything else that anyone thinks should be made more prominent in the summary, please let me know!

Smile
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Smudger!!!

I dont know how close behind Kalanna and Dinranwen your character might have been, but I am hoping that your character might have witnessed something.

About killing co-authors characters - I dont know whether Kalanna and Din collaborated Din's demise, but it brings up a good point:

If you think another co-author's character's death will be pivotal to the plot, please ask that co-author's permission before killing their character off. Wink

OK since there have been two rather significant plot twists, involving the map and the Realm of Dead IFians, another summary has gone up.

It's completely rewritten so please check through it and make sure it is accurate, and nothing important to the plot, or any characters have been left out.

There is a lot to track, here! Very Happy
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has everybody forgotten about me?

Somebody, please, take the role of the armored figure!
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my 'death' was quite unexpected for me, but I figured I could use it to my advantage.

Thus I am now in the company of well known figures, albiet dead, and I am in a stargetic position beneath the Soul Well, if I choose to use it.

Which begs the question: Just how will I get back to life? And what will happen when and If I do? In the meantime, what will I learn about the souls who inhabit the wells?

That is for me to know and you to find out, but I up for suggestions in case anybody has any.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think yours is an excellent position, and an excellent plot twist, Din! I had drawn a blank for ideas for a few days until I saw that, and now my head is spinning with them again. Very Happy Including an idea for Masterweaver's armour clad friend.... dont worry MW, he is not forgotton.... Very Happy
Smudger
Citizen

Topics: 4

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome Crunchy, glad to be in such an innovative idea Very Happy .

I'll see what comes to me in writing my next installment whether to say I saw Rai or not, or go help Din, either way.
JezSharp
Respected Citizen

Topics: 31

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Rai...a number of problems:

1) I'd already left the Technical Institute, and was in Tourist Info - I was not typing or viewing anything but releasing Lebby at the time.

2) I would love to know how scanned software can have 'magical enchantments' and how such enchantments can systematically affect all individual door passwords which are not connected to the main computer. This seems mildly ridiculous...also considering the map was actually in the TI when you last burst into the Tourist Info booth it's surprising the crystal didn't go off then! (And I could quite easily have accepted such a tracking device being on your person - that could locate the origional map, or even some enchnatment that perhaps that the map itself went blank if its unauthorised use was happening). I also find it hard to accept that scanned copies of a map can be 'enchanted' and then used to affect the running of a computer system!! This is moving to the point of madness...unless you're claiming that you now suddenly have the power to rule over and close down other moderators sectors Rai?

3) Following on from 2) the doors should not then be open and are impenetrable in this case that does mean dragon/thief assassin proof, as I had you in mind. You cannot have entered the Technical Institute, I can accept that the origional map when used may have left an enchanted trail that your device could pick up (althougth why did it not notice it when you last visited?). I can also accept you 'rescuing' Lebby althougth he was being released anyway by me at the time you arrived.

As you can tell I'm perhaps a little annoyed, it seems as though you are God - modding a lot of the story as an invinicble dragon who no - one can stop in any way possible and who must win in nearly any scenario. I admit to God - modding to a degree, most RP players do - but yours is more than a little excessive at times.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JezSharp wrote:

1) I'd already left the Technical Institute, and was in Tourist Info - I was not typing or viewing anything but releasing Lebby at the time.

Yes, that could be a problem. It could probably be fixed with some simple editting on Rai's part though.

Quote:
2) I would love to know how scanned software can have 'magical enchantments' and how such enchantments can systematically affect all individual door passwords which are not connected to the main computer. This seems mildly ridiculous...also considering the map was actually in the TI when you last burst into the Tourist Info booth it's surprising the crystal didn't go off then! (And I could quite easily have accepted such a tracking device being on your person - that could locate the origional map, or even some enchnatment that perhaps that the map itself went blank if its unauthorised use was happening). I also find it hard to accept that scanned copies of a map can be 'enchanted' and then used to affect the running of a computer system!! This is moving to the point of madness...unless you're claiming that you now suddenly have the power to rule over and close down other moderators sectors Rai?

I must admit, it is unlikely that Jez scanning his version of the map would alert you Rai, or that you'd be able to go through TI/IT. Of course, some people may have moderator power over other moderator's sectors, but I don't believe you are one of them.

The trouble is Jez, was there anyone else who knew of your plan? The way we've been doing it - Rai and I - is to let Crunchy (as the original author) know what we've been planning throughout, and how it's working. If you had spoken to her, some of the confusion could have been avoided.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This will hopefully please him, as BStheGreat has a long time grudge against him he wishes to settle, and, assisted by Polokin, is hunting for him. D-Lotus cannot for the life of him remember why.

This, and some subsequent parts of the summary are somewhat disconnected or unclear. They concern D and his memories, mostly. Some of the 'he doesn't remember' are placed after the "D then remembered after his second concussion..." You should also clear that now I have remembered the secret, presumably Lordy's plot, but that I'm struggling to regain consciousness. I trust that you'll figure out what's wrong. Smile
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Topics: 46

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the grammar not agreeing with itself, I know perfectly what's wrong.
D has a rum deficiency.

...No plans yet.
JezSharp
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I ever had a specific plan...I took the map to see what locations were on it and spotted the location of the underground archives so tunnelled for them. I then had the idea of handing out the edited copies of the maps to some people...but I may change that to sending the full copy by PM to Council members. Besides that I don't really have any plans besides those.

Anyway I have an idea of how to fix things.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lotus wrote:
Quote:
This will hopefully please him, as BStheGreat has a long time grudge against him he wishes to settle, and, assisted by Polokin, is hunting for him. D-Lotus cannot for the life of him remember why.

This, and some subsequent parts of the summary are somewhat disconnected or unclear. They concern D and his memories, mostly. Some of the 'he doesn't remember' are placed after the "D then remembered after his second concussion..." You should also clear that now I have remembered the secret, presumably Lordy's plot, but that I'm struggling to regain consciousness. I trust that you'll figure out what's wrong. Smile

Thanks for pointing that out, D, I'll fix it later today. Wink

A few points that I'd like to make:

1. About Uber characters, Uber behaviour and God Modding....

One of the few rules I put up about Hangover was that there were to be no uber characters. That includes uber behaviour and god modding.

The Kalanna character is bordering on Uber, and I agree with Jez with his comments about god modding.

Kalanna, I am well aware of your plans, ideas, and how you want to execute them, but having your character using uber behaviour to restrict others in their attempts to develop their own ideas is not fair on anybody, and is the quickest way I know of losing contributors.
Please allow others to write freely, and let them strengthen their characters positions in the story.

2. Sharing plot ideas

This discussion thread was started so that plot ideas could be pushed around.We should be working together as co-authors. Use PM if you have to, and use this thread. It's what it is here for.

If somebody's plans are less developed, sharing plot ideas could help them crystalize theirs, especially in these later stages, when so much has been laid down in the story already.

Making me aware of your plans does not validate them - all it does is help me understand the bigger picture when I am doing the summary, and help me sort things out if lack of continuity and confusion break out. I do not use that knowledge when I write, I only write for the good of the story.

If someone posts a plot twist that is unexpected to your plans, it is better to modify your plot, rather than thwart the plot twist. That is how the story moves in unexpected ways.

3. Please use this thread for hints on your intentions.

For example, I announced that I had realised my plot intention by having the fog as a manifestation of the souls. I made it clear that I didn't want someone opening a portal and just blowing it away.

IM could state here that he doesn't want his book to be reconstituted, and that Kalanna's reconstitution efforts should fail.

Use this thread wisely!!!

4. Generally

The story has moved beyond the introductory stage, and has now almost got to the climax of complete anarchy and chaos in IF. I would put it at nearly half way through its life now. I think there is another climax to come - despair, when the evil parties almost attain their goal, whatever that might be. And then a finale. Anyone is welcome to comment on how the rest of the story would be structured.

And finally...

THIS IS NOT AN RPG!!!! I know it is very easy to play it like one, but I dont want it to degenerate into something like that. This is why I am working on the summaries, so we can look back at the plots that are woven, and continue to write the rest of this story as co-authors.

So let's try and turn this into something unique!
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is the book not going to reconstitute in the sense that many of the spell will be garbled and spell doom to the person that tries to read them, but so is my replacing of the book going to fail in a very interesting way.

...No plans yet.
JezSharp
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, currently my plot is going to centre around the digging into the underground archives, whereby I may well come across some (almost certainly incomplete and possibly cryptic) information on the place that Lordy has marked on the map.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lotus wrote:
Quote:

Susbstantially edited now, moved a lot of stuff about, and cleaned up the tenses too. Probably a bit overdue, its a bit out of date, as so many more ideas and twists have gone down since... but I hope it reads a little more coherently now!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...

My latest plot is - how the fog escaped in the first place. Very Happy

Weeeelllll, what a stupid idea to build a Soul Well near a Gorge, which obviously has to be a geological fault line!

With so many burrows and warrens having been dug underneath the city, this fog must have found a few outlets somewhere, which is why the fog containing the souls is hanging mostly over the city and nowhere else, and my theory is, the structure of the well, with all that Soul Power in it, just can't take it.

Of course this can be exploited like anything by those who wish to take over the city Wink

It would be really cool if whatever info Jez finds in the archives is info on the fault line, where the weaknesses are, etc.

I thought the conversation between Lebby and D-Lotus was very good, and am intrigued as to who D might think he has murdered.

Chinaren has disappeared... Hmmmm....

Perhaps by controlled releasing of the fog into the city via the faults is releasing pressure on the Soul Well to prevent it from blowing big time. So this could have been done by D for the good of the City...

Perhaps the flash of lightning just after Smee's firework display was an explosion of fog from the fault after too much build up of pressure. Or maybe it was the murder... Or maybe the two were linked...

Maybe to fix the problem we have to empty the Soul Well and build a new one on a safer site....

...er maybe I should shush up now... Very Happy
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't like the fault line idea. Though an explanation of our circumstances, it is an event that is indifferent to its result. If the Soul Well was tapped into recklessly, or if the fault line shifted as a result of some other event, we have more to work with. There is a conspiracy going on, secrets and plots, an investigator, amnesia, an assassin... there must be more than shifting tectonic plates or else we invalidate a lot of story.

Perhaps the Soul Well's location was intentional. Maybe someone wanted it to crack open. I could work with that. The fact that it happened on New Year's Day, a strong moment for Brink Magic, seems too much of a coincidence. I would suspect a ritual of some sort for causing chaos. Or we could even make it the Earth protesting the incarceration of the souls within its soil.

All right, nevermind. I like the fault line idea.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lebrenth wrote:
Personally, I don't like the fault line idea. Though an explanation of our circumstances, it is an event that is indifferent to its result. If the Soul Well was tapped into recklessly, or if the fault line shifted as a result of some other event, we have more to work with. There is a conspiracy going on, secrets and plots, an investigator, amnesia, an assassin... there must be more than shifting tectonic plates or else we invalidate a lot of story.

Very good point... I'll go with that... Smile
Quote:

Perhaps the Soul Well's location was intentional. Maybe someone wanted it to crack open. I could work with that.

cool!
Quote:

The fact that it happened on New Year's Day, a strong moment for Brink Magic, seems too much of a coincidence. I would suspect a ritual of some sort for causing chaos. Or we could even make it the Earth protesting the incarceration of the souls within its soil.

It could also be that the New Year party might have been the perfect cover up (Smee's fireworks) for cracking it open. The fact that the 'flash of lightning' happened a little after the climax of the firework display could have been the synchronisation of the cover up going a little wrong. Kalanna makes reference to it in one of her posts very early on in the story. Very Happy

Quote:

All right, nevermind. I like the fault line idea.

....So do I...but now in your idea, as a result of the conspiritor event! Razz

Shall we go with yours? Very Happy
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say that someone either A: Planned the soul well's location intentionally so as to take advantage of it latter, or B.) Someone in ritual dance made the fault lines crack open....and in the same moment took control of the souls for their own uses....

Or Both A and B....either way would work.

Some other problem's I noticed that need to be worked out....

One who did D murder?

And why?

Who is controlling the Spirits of the Soul Well?

Who created/planned/used the fault lines to their advantage?

And why are the souls rebelling against Chinaren if they are not doing so out of their own will? Is someone in the city planning Chinaren's overthrow or planning to take over the city themselves? If so who?

Is the murder of someone conneted to the opening of the soul well or are they unconnected?

Obviously, so far Lebby, Lordy, Rai, Jez are all bad guys...sort of. But what are they planning and why? And who exactly is working for who?

Whatever the answers, I think one of Idea Master's post says it all. Someone has playing everyone the fool, but who, and for what purpose?
Smudger
Citizen

Topics: 4

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Since I wasn't here from the start I have no clue what my role is... Just sorta in it. Maybe I control the Soul Well, a low profile, non-descript character that no one would have ever thought of having that power. There's a solution. Very Happy if you disagree then just say so, just a suggestion.
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the fault idea either, mainly because 'x' and me have worked out the conspiracy. According to 'x', he/she released the souls himself/herself to wreak havoc so that he/she could make Chinaren dissapear. More on this later, but for now, if there is a fault, someone set it off. I'm going to read now about D's murder and find out what that's all about...
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obviously, so far Lebby, Lordy, Rai, Jez are all bad guys...sort of. But what are they planning and why? And who exactly is working for who?

Me? A bad guy? Nonesense - I'm merely working for the good of the City, trying to bring order to the current Chaos. That's all.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Solus.Serpens!!

I'm trying to pull together another summary, and it's hard work with everything that's been going on.

I may need to PM some people for clarification on a few things, so I can get the story straight for the next summary.

I've loved reading it over the last couple of days, great to see some of the questions being resolved, and the way it is all moving on... Smile
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chinaren has disappeared... Hmmmm....

Hello all. Please don't try and explain my absense from IF in HO. An explanation will be forthecoming soon, in Tale of IF, part II.

So far I am not convinced this isn't a RP as it stands. However, if Crunchy takes a little more control I think it could pass muster.

I will keep an eye on this one!
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you back, china. Wink

I'm afraid I'm probably one of the ones who is writing this as an RPG, but I don't really get how else to write it.
Can anyone help me there?

~Solus

chapter 6 of DESTINY - a super old SG which won't continue...but there are a full 6 chapters if you feel like reading something with no ending!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solus,

Here are a few pointers:

And perhaps this is probably a good reminder for everyone who's participating...

Even though we've all introduced our own characters, we are co-authoring a story. Every so often, I am posting a summary of the story so far. What you do is read the summary, and then post from there.

We should be thinking ahead, and discussing plots. That is what this thread was created for, although it hasn't really been used to its fullest potential. From now on I think we should really try and make it work.

Write in terms of the story, not in terms of your character. Try and make the story flow from post to post, where possible. Up to now, it has been very disjointed, with everyone following their own storyline.

If you want to write something that is going to affect someone elses character, discuss it here, or discuss it by PM with that co-author.

We need to dis-associate ourselves as authors from our characters more. What we know as authors, our characters may not know.

For example, if someone writes that a single house falls down on one side of the city, and your character is on the other side of the city, he/she has not heard it happen, and cannot react to it. You cannot have him say 'Oh, I cannot go to that house, because it has fallen down.' He would have to go there and discover it.

The Hangover has gone past its mid point now.
The pieces of the puzzle in this story are starting to be put together now. We dont need any more riddles. We need solutions now.

For example, the big puzzle is what happened during the New Year Party. Gradually things are coming into place. The next summary I put up will have some of those pieces in place.

Edit to add

The summary is now up!!!

Please read it carefully, to make sure it is correct. Now that some revelations have been made, it is drastically rewritten!!!

Since so many stories happened simultaneously, I have had to write chronologically by character. I hope it makes sense and reads well. I am open to suggestions on how to make it read better.

Please let me know if anything important or anyone has been left out.

Thanks!!

Another Edit

In order to get Hangover ship shape for the Review board, it needs some heavy editing, particularly the earlier posts. I'll need some help in doing that... I have already divided it up into chapters, and edited in the chapter headings at the summary points. They are...

1. The Labyrinth and the Well
2. Mayhem in Jester Park
3. Fog, Conspiracy and a Search for Key
4. Assassination, Domination, and Sado-Masochism Shocked
5. Revelations and Alliances

We are embarking on Chapter 6 now. Very Happy
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you want to write something that is going to affect someone elses character, discuss it here, or discuss it by PM with that co-author.

There's the problem right there. We can't co-write a story if we're not allowed to use other characters except in a very conservative manner. Even you, Crunch, are treading very carefully when writing other characters; too carefully to get anything done with any but your own character.

I don't think anyone has written a segment that didn't have more to do with their own character than with others. However, the individual character involvement has generally improved and advanced the story. The challenge is making your own character a key part of the story. That element is quite fun and though I very much want to help you accomplish your goal of making this a storygame, I'm loath to abandon the enjoyment of squeezing my character into the action.

It's up to you Crunch. If you really want this to be a storygame, it's like Chinaren says. You have to take control. I don't think you need to or should, but here's how you could do it:

Set up a poll. Take a few implied suggestions from the story and vote on it. Whatever is voted upon is the guideline which all future authors must follow or their story segment is invalid and will be removed or edited. Then we have a storygame with co-authoring. Even people who aren't writing chapters could be involved by voting, making it mass-media capable, which is the main requirement of a storygame.

Here's a sample poll:

What is discovered at the city council meeting?

A. A conspiracy of high ranking IFians have been attempting to activate the Soul Well to stop a great evil from being summoned.

B. The Soul Well's location was foolishly placed over a dangerous fault line or unstable region. The conspirators are trying to cover up the blunder.

C. Chinaren's tyranny has gone too far, especially his recklessness with the Soul Well, and a reckoning has begun.

D. A simple series of disasters, unrelated to the direct actions of anyone, have put the city into chaos. Only by resolving their differences will the IFians be able to undo the considerable harm to the city and bring it back to its former glory.

Then Crunch mediates the results and makes sure the future writers conform to the parameters.

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and I thought I should point out a continuity error:

Rave and Wing were specifically seen in the Dream Chamber. The Dream Chamber was created, it would seem, for IFians that were inactive but were not exorcised, hence not really dead because they may yet return. Later, Rave and Wing are seen in the Realm of Dead IFians which is decidedly a different place than the Dream Chamber, even if they're both explanations of what happens to inactive members.

Are they both in two different places at the same time? Perhaps that can be arranged. It should at least be addressed, perhaps simply omitted from being mentioned in the Dream Chamber. Another possible explanation, the bodies are in the Dream Chamber, the spirits in the realm of Dead IFians.

Hmmmm.....

solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't have said it better myself, Leb. Smile

Anyway, as regards to editing, is it going to be volunteers, one on each chapter?
If so, I'll do chapter five, but I think it would be better if we had more than one person to a chapter. Two would be a good number so that they could compare their edits and maybe work on different levels. Anyway, I'd appreciate a bit of help considering the length but I'll work on my own if no-one else really wants to help.*

~Solus

*Damn selfish of them though, considering this is as much their story as mine, *grumble**grumble*...

chapter 6 of DESTINY - a super old SG which won't continue...but there are a full 6 chapters if you feel like reading something with no ending!
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had offered (earlier, via PM) to work the story together into chapters. If someone else wants to do it instead that's fine with me, though I'm prepared to do it if no-one else is.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lebrenth, yours is a great idea, and I think it is really the way to move forward, to bring so many story threads together.

The reason I suggested discussion was because there are already some developed and complex ideas out there, and they weren't coming out in the open. Also there were kneejerk reactions occuring with suspensful situations not being allowed to develop, which a little open discussion between authors could have helped: for example:

'I want to put your character in this situation, which might not go along with your plans, but this is the reason why I want to do it, so wait it out, play along, there could be a really cool duel at the end, after which your character continues on his way...'

But this just hasn't really been happening.

Voting would really cut through the crap and move things along - Because I am not used to it I didn't think voting would work for Hangover, but the way you have explained it I can see how it can work, so lets go for it! Very Happy

Apart from the 4 suggestions Lebrenth has for what is discovered at the city council meeting, which are:

Quote:
A. A conspiracy of high ranking IFians have been attempting to activate the Soul Well to stop a great evil from being summoned.

B. The Soul Well's location was foolishly placed over a dangerous fault line or unstable region. The conspirators are trying to cover up the blunder.

C. Chinaren's tyranny has gone too far, especially his recklessness with the Soul Well, and a reckoning has begun.

D. A simple series of disasters, unrelated to the direct actions of anyone, have put the city into chaos. Only by resolving their differences will the IFians be able to undo the considerable harm to the city and bring it back to its former glory.

are there any others that anybody might want to add to the poll?

Cleaning up the chapters:

Lordy offered to chapterise and clean up by PM about a week ago, and I took him up on his offer.

But it is a big job, and may well need more than one person, so thanks Solus for offering also!

I will also happily pitch in - I can easily copy and paste into a text editor, edit and PM to a moderator to place the edited text back into the thread.

I dont honestly know to what level we should be editing - obviously we're after spelling, grammar, continuity, (Thanks, Lebrenth for pointing out that continuity blooper, I missed that!) but we'll also be editing out the Lecro stuff... I hope!

I guess we just need to work out who's going to do it and how best to go about it. Smile

Thanks guys for all your suggestions and help on this.

Very Happy
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want us to do anything on the quality of the writing? To bring that all up so the same standard, or should we leave it how it is now, with varying levels?

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another set of options to consider is the D-Lotus factor. Crunchy seemed to suggest to me that D-Lotus should attend the meeting, so I took the hint and decided to make him attend stealthily. He plans, I think, to reveal the foul scheme that's going on. I had hypothesized from what I've gathered in PM's, that Lordy is trying to gain control of the city. He tried getting rid of Chinaren (which accounts for his absence), but Chinaren still survives on some level, trying to help the adventurers- e.g. stealing one of Jez's maps and placing it on Crunchy in order to help them get through the tunnel (he didn't know the map was fake, speculatively).

Quote:
Please don't try and explain my absense from IF in HO. An explanation will be forthecoming soon, in Tale of IF, part II.

Chinaren, we've already incorporated you to the story a long time ago, how can we not explain your absence? I don't think any story should have a hierarchy on what goes on in the city.

Anyway, continuing. D-Lotus had been investigating Chinaren's initial disappearance when he stumbled upon Lordy's plot to release the soul well in order to take over the city. This happens after Smee is dragged into the future, and a few minutes later D walks in. D-Lotus sacrificed someone (his son, BS' brother- someone who was coming along with him), to stop Lordy from taking full control of the well. However, this only caused for some 'greater evil' to take control away from Lordy. Lordy then wiped D's memory. Now, Lordy is searching for a way to take control again, allying himself with Rai in order to achieve the ingredients of a powerful spell that will aid him. Rai's true plans I'm unsure of; she seems to have doubtable fidelity, and she also seems to be searching for her own gain. Anyway, the fissure that Lordy created, through which the soul well is being released, must be closed now by Crunchy. D, meanwhile, will reveal the truth to the council (or try to).

That's the story up to now. Crunchy will perhaps achieve closing the fissure, but it won't make a difference, because this 'greater evil' has become too powerful. To overcome it, good guys and bad guys must unite powers. How's it sound? That's my hypothesis.

So I think that: What will the council think of D's revelation, if he makes it? should also be an important issue at hand.

And I'll credit Leb for the idea of a 'greater evil'. Wink Leb also suggested that instead of Lordy having released the well, it was the 'greater evil' who was attempting to do it. D murdered him/her in the middle of his/her spell, and that caused for the soul well to go berzerk. So now everybody has to unite to stop the berzerk soul well. That's another way to look at it.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the last part personally, about the 'other' evil having opened the well. Mainly because I wasn't planning on opening it until I had gained control, and the various souls are beginning to get really annoying.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the idea of this plot, although there is only one evil that could possibly be greater than Lordy.
Phang, mistress of evil, wierdness, and evil wierdness.

...No plans yet.
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with D for the larger part.

I agree that there is a 'greater evil' but perhaps it is not (as another suggested) Phang, but a representive of Of or worse a citzen of IS, or even gasp....a citzen of If who seclumed to RL and now resides in IS/Of?

I also agree that when this 'greater evil' failed, Lordy who perhaps was either copperating with this 'greater evil' or simply took advantage of the 'greater evil's failure, and perhaps also as a result from D's/Smee's Interference lost control of the Souls of the Well...but I do think that he was able to maintain some control...the spirits simply got carried away or something like that.

So...I guess I'm saying I agree with D's Logic as far as the plot is concerned.

I also agree that Rai seems to be working for herself...after all she usually does. I am also largely working for myself....or rather for my curiosity...(blast it, how many times will I kill myself before I learn?).

However, now Jez is claiming that he rather than Chinaren or Lordy (as everyone seems to think) stole the City Map....and that he, Jez that is, planted the fake on Crunchy...which Kalanna then marked up, copied, and gave a copy to Lordy. Jez also seems to have p.m.ed the map to all council members....he also seems to be hinting that he is doing this so the council memembers try to go treasure hunting just before his 'trolls' break through the surface of the Soul Well.

Now this is either a serious contrast in plotting, or it can be used to our advantage.... Was JezSharp then planning to let the Soul's loose on the City only to fail and have that power snatched away by Lordy? If so, what is he planning now? And why is he trying to get everyone to be around the Soul Well?

Also if Jez did plant the Fake City Map on Crunchy, for what purpose, and why a harmless newbie like CrunchFrog?

Another thing I would like to point out...Crunch is dealing with the rest of the Dezins that I let out from the Realm of Dead Ifians in disguise. Crunchy suggested (granted in P.M. form to me...) that from the Souls point of view...the process of the Soul Well sucking dead Souls into the Realm of Dead Ifians has reversed....and that Muabib while watching the news broadcast quickly deduced what has happening (i..e. Someone from the City was controlling the Spirits). Now the Citzens of the Realm of Dead Ifians (that I realised) are out about in the city searching for the one responsible for controlling the other spirits in the form of a Fog. But who is this person? Is it Lordy (maybe)? Or is a servant of the Greater Evil? Or is it Jez?

Regardless who it is....will the Souls drag/reveal this person to the City Council and thus interupt the Council Meeting?

Din, and perhaps Lebby and D, seem to think they know who is responsible for controlling the Souls around the City in order to take over. Should they reveal this information to the Council? Should D, Din, and Leb since they all seem to know a little something (i.e. by different sources) about what's going on work together to reveal who it is?

Or will Din, Leb, and maybe with the exception of D, go blaming the wrong person (Lordy), and have the council go about to prevent Lordy from doing whatever he's doing until they realize a moment to late they have been blaming the wrong person...and that this is actually the plot of the Greater Evil? That the greater Evil planned this whole thing to set the Citzens of If against each other so it could do whatever it wants to do with If (perhaps destroy it or take over it)?

I think so. But what do you all think?

In regards to the standard/style/quality of writing, we will all write on different levels and it would be nearly impossible to correct that....but I think that's what makes this storygame interesting. However I think some attempt should be made on all post in regards to grammer, spelling, so and so forth. I would volunteer but I'm horrible at that sort of thing.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt Phang qualifies as the greater evil, and it's unlikely to be anyone from OF. Lordy's connections in OF are well known, while his network of associates within OF's ranks are...well...there. That didn't come out right.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your foot in your mouth that time demon. I also agree with the greater evil...maybe an evil twin from an alternate dimension called FI? Or perhaps the soul of the original BS the Great, so evil he was the first banned, now gathering strength from the mass exorcisim and wanting to level IF for his banisment/execution.

And of course I'm working for myself. Independant, freelance assassin. Makes more money that way.

"Music makes you braver."
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10
Jump to: