Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Hangover - Discussion thread - maybe even a cure!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it, Din! *is laughing happily* It's perfect! Your plan is running parallel to CF's plan and it has the details to make it happen! Let's get Hangover finished guys! Razz

© 2007-2019 Lilith
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I preferred Argo's idea personally. Having the IFians accidently ruin my needlessly complicated plan would give a classic Scooby-Doo line, while still giving me a reason to stop the GE.

I can still try and take control of the city after defeating the GE afterall. Most likely, the GE is after destruction of IF, and possibly the entire country (hence using the Soul Well).

With the ingredients though, Lordy would be able to harness the power of the Soul Well, betraying the GE, and leading to gaining control. Plus, it explains why I wasn't going around getting them myself - the GE could have been keeping tabs on me, so I enlisted Rai's help.

Btw, if anyone wants to hear my original elaborate, needlessly complicated (and now slightly editted) plan in full, just say so. I'll write it up.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it Lordy, I'm intrigued to hear it!

(and btw, I like Argo's idea too!)
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Hangover is up and running again, from IM's point of view. I've posted - IM has completed his forensic study, and has:

1) Figured out that Kalanna was killed by a spell that was protecting something but he doesn't know what it was

2) Discovered the time spell, and has correctly theorised that a version of Kalanna may have been ripped away into the future.

However, Lilith is suggesting that this is too far fetched, and not to get his hopes up, so they will ignore IM's theory, thus still making Kalanna's re-entry into the story a complete surprise.

JezSharp has learned about the Ley Lines and the 3 elements of the spell in his book The Treasures of IF.

Jez and D have correctly assumed that Lordy is at the place marked Important, but have INCORRECTLY assumed that Lordy has the 3 ingredients to the spell.

This means they can all converge on Lordy later, ready to foil his plan, but... ooops! The ingredients aren't there. It also provides a good entrance point for Kalanna, and her gem with the ingredients later on.

This should also tie in with them 'accidentally ruining Lordy's needlessly complicated plan'.

Okay, please could the next couple of post deal with IM trying to get out of the city to the north....

After that we can talk about how we are going to write about the Realm of the Dead IFians, and what's going on with Sasuke, Crunch, Din and Smudger... Very Happy

Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i come back to find my post deleted. Ah well. I'll go check out hangover. and try and fall back into this place. well, i do think there has to be something like a staff that can kill the minions quite easily. Smile let say there is skalready one having it- one in the council, probably forgot where he/she put it down-maybe on mage mountain. mmm. anyway I'll go post I'll stick in this plot for now, not going to change anything.

EDIT: Cruncy i have noticed there are two more lylines converging. and it is at the outside boarders of IF... Can I o Please Say that Lordly is there. It be so cool. See then he is trying to hide from the ifains while he is planning his little assimilation of the explosion.. Very Happy*laughes evilly*
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has already been written into the story that Lordy is hiding in his inner sanctum underground, where the leylines converge on the spot marked 'Important' on the map.

The next couple of posts need to be dealing with getting IM's group moving in that direction somehow, perhaps even getting as far as meeting up with D's group.

And then perhaps we can move the focus on to the Realm of Dead IFians, since the Lordy character has just let loose some mayhem down there.

Smile
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me this story needs to wrap up and finish. We keep saying: "We need to tie in the loose ends." but whenever we begin to do so, something new springs up and makes everything more complex and longlasting. Therefore, I think this story needs immediate action towards the end, because the climax is slowly decaying into a perpetual state of ongoing meaningless adventures.
Argonaut
Mercenary Artist

Topics: 10

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright well I've put IM's team well on their way to heading north. I know I said I wasn't gonna put myself in this story but it was just a cameo, I wrote myself right back out again Smile
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post as well Argo! Cool
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I f5 Chinaren! Great post Argo! Although I was about to take bets to see how long it would take for you to put yourself in the story.. lol! I am just kidding!

Okay, I left IM's phrase hanging and therein leaving a perfect window of opportunity for the next author to jump in with an explanation of which curse Lordy activated and when it had been originally cast and by who! Enjoy!

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post, Argo, and great follow on, Lilith!

Okay, so, playing the curse out... I thought of re-using the Fox curse, or the memory loss curse, but decided to go for something different, and something not too debilitating, because we really need to be moving on now.

IM, Crady and Lilith have been hit with the Mirror curse. They are all speaking backwards, so nobody can understand them. They can understand each other, but to them, everyone else appears to be speaking backwards.
The same goes with written text - they cannot read it as it appears backwards to them, so IM cannot use his spell book.

I would suggest that this curse is best used only as a device for a little humour, but not for impeding the plot any further. They should still be able to stumble upon Lordy's Inner Sanctum and accidentally foil his plans, curse or no curse. Even though they cannot understand one anothers utterances, sign language should suffice!

D's group have caught sight of IM's group in the distance, so the next author can reunite them, and truly reveal the horror of the groups not being able to understand one another...

~ ~ ~

I think once the two groups have been reunited, we need to focus on the Realm of Dead IFians, examine what is going on there, and get Din, Smudge, Sasuke and Crunch safely out of there before the real fireworks begin. We should discuss it here before writing it, though.

I would urge everyone to read chapter 7 (link in my sig) to remind themselves of what the Realm of Dead IFians looks like. There are a lot of things in there we can use.

Note: When writing the final version, I made a slight amendment to the plot - On her first visit to the Realm, Dinranwen had tortured Muaddib into telling her how to get back into IF. He had told her that she could take on the body of a RP character to get back to IF. Since then we came up with the idea of reunification of body and soul in the Dream Chamber. So we needed an explanation as to why Muaddib did not tell her about this process. I have therefore added piece showing Muaddib deliberately NOT telling Din about the Dream Chamber first time around, as punishment for the torture. Wink
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Note: When writing the final version, I made a slight amendment to the plot - On her first visit to the Realm, Dinranwen had tortured Muaddib into telling her how to get back into IF. He had told her that she could take on the body of a RP character to get back to IF. Since then we came up with the idea of reunification of body and soul in the Dream Chamber. So we needed an explanation as to why Muaddib did not tell her about this process. I have therefore added piece showing Muaddib deliberately NOT telling Din about the Dream Chamber first time around, as punishment for the torture.

Drat. I knew buying that Truth Potion from Fenris for 5 fables was too good to be true.[/quote]
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Dinranwen! Well done all! Clapping The IM POV chapter was definately one of the better sequences of writing we've had in the Hangover. Very Happy

Okay, our next job is to deal with the Realm of Dead IFians. We've already got a setting... I've pulled together everything I could find that has been described about the Realm so far, for the sake of continuity.

This is kind of what it looks like...

The Realm of the Dead IFians so far contains a Tavern, called Ye Old IFian Tavern Club. It sells free unending drinks for the rest of eternity.

In the bar, if you stand on one of the tables, you can pull down some attic steps, and climb up them. When you get to the top you step into a colourless void, as you climb onto the roof of the Tavern.

From there you can see the bottom of the Soul Well. You can also somehow get underneath the Dream Chamber to a computer room where you can change your identity.

We can assume that there is also a route to the Dream Chamber, from the roof of the Tavern.

From the roof is also a room called Channel IF Broadcasting, where views of IF can be seen from various POV.

I vote that this room is where you can communicate via mediums like Solus from Wink

Outside the Tavern although it is an idyllic landscape the sky is a mess. There are 3 great vortices in the sky, all there as a result of the cracking open of the Soul Well. Crunchyfrog has stuck a shard of crystal in the ground, and a permanent spark from the ground extends to the largest vortex in the sky, which has closed it a little. This is the 'patching up' job that Crunch was sent to do.

There are about to be some ghasts and shades let loose into the Realm courtesy of Lordy (IM's latest post) so mayhem is about to ensue.

Now we have to remember that Muaddib and co are not that interested in going back to IF and really want to be left on their own to enjoy their neverending drinks in the Tavern when this is all over.

Perhaps the main structure of the chapter is a communication via Solus, followed by an escape by Crunch, Din, Smudge and Sasuke into the Dream Chamber, whilst Muaddib and co hold the fort against the ghasts and shades, and also keep Crunch's patch-up maintained?

Any other ideas welcome!

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok lordly underground then. GOOD JOB everyone.

I have an idea and i hate to spoil surprises.

I think after lordly is over powered.

Must Tara my other side come out and convess. Razz
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightshade - at this late stage in the game, we need all ideas out in the open, so that we can all help write it in. Otherwise the story will never finish!

The Hangover is almost wrapped up, and we are at the point of tying up loose ends.

I would warn against using dual personalities and alter egos though, if that is what you are looking to write in, especially where they involve multiple user accounts - (which is bad nettiquette, not a good thing to do).

Let's hear your idea, but keep it simple, please! Smile

Edit: After Din/Smudge/Crunch/Sasuke's escape to the Dream Chamber, we'll turn our attention to Kalanna Rai. I have saved 3 of her posts and will paste them in after we've written the chapter of the Realm of Dead IFians.
Everyone is gradually coming closer together...

Right, any ideas on the Realm of Dead IFians chapter, other than the suggestion I posted so far?

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would warn against using dual personalities and alter egos though, if that is what you are looking to write in, especially where they involve multiple user accounts - (which is bad nettiquette, not a good thing to do).

Don't worry cruncer that account is gone. as you can see it says guest...

Well. I think that it should be me that has been planting the gasses around the place, it won't be that hard to type and it won't change anything to the plot. It would be easy to add, because I was the first to have gotten into that stage and well still IM thinks me Nuts. Very Happy

So It would be obvious that it would be me that has been doing the planting of it....

Be real back to send more ideas.
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Crunchy's ideas. Their short, simple, and best of all, shouldn't take to long to do.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Dinranwen and Smudger have brought the dead IFians back, and they say the lost souls are draining out of the fog. But Muaddib says the realm of the dead can't take much more of the soul well's energy. If this isn't fixed soon, even the dead will have no place to live."

This is the last mention from the Realm of Dead IFians.

Are there any more ideas for this chapter before we all get started?

Smile

Items

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
"Dinranwen and Smudger have brought the dead IFians back, and they say the lost souls are draining out of the fog. But Muaddib says the realm of the dead can't take much more of the soul well's energy. If this isn't fixed soon, even the dead will have no place to live."

This is the last mention from the Realm of Dead IFians.

Are there any more ideas for this chapter before we all get started?

I say the well would not be fixed in time, but the clues revealed of what happened to rai's amulet and then to see what is going on at the place marked important.
... I say that the dead has already lost their home, some souls have already corrupted Ifains right... Ah well. Onto the story of hangover then. Very Happy
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record:

I was absolutely not serious when condemning the Hangover while in one of my prophetic moods.

Although it is true I would not like this type of storygame/rpg to take over the city of IF and strangle everything to death in it's clutches, I do think there is a place for the Hangover & company here.

I do believe that these stories could fit in rather well, as long as they don't get out of hand. And there shouldn't be any reason for them getting out of hand, unless the population of IF is more of an rpg population rather than a storygaming population.

If people continue to be RPGers after being exposed to storygames, it simply means that for some reason the RPG is stronger and more entertaining than storygames. Which would make storygames a minor failing, as the 'pick your own story' books were.

But this is completely not the fault of Hangover. Hangover is simply destiny, waiting to arrive. Hangover is only the test: what is more durable, RPG, or storygames? Is the experiment working or not?

For me, I rather prefer storygames. There is no question there. If everyone thinks like me, then there should be no problem; RPG can be fitted into IF in minimal quantities. If everyone prefers RPG, then the storygaming experiment was a failure and nobody is to blame.

I have faith in storygames. I don't condemn the Hangover for it's inevitable nature. I think the Hangover has a place inside IF, as long as it isn't overwhelming.

That's it, just for the record. I hope I haven't offended anyone with my childish play on prophetization.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear Hangover is still grossly misunderstood, even now.
All the way through this thread, I have stressed that this is NOT to be written as a RPG, and I have even got to the point of having RPG style posts deleted on sight.

Hangover is an experiment in multi-authoring.

This is an excerpt from a multi-author story I participated in, in 2001. It was actually done without any need for any director, or any discussion thread, or any PM's between the writers. The writing is not that great, but the point I am making is that they are narrating a story containing characters they introduced, rather than RP'ing them. Take the authors names away in italics, and it could almost be passed for having been written by one person.
Quote:

Pman
Al looked at Manic, a worried look crossed his face. "No idea, honestly. But even at that risk, this Age needs fixing. For the memories of the millions who have played before, and to the townsfolk here."
"Yeah, you're right. Let's just try to get it right!"
They headed out into the square...

J.Ages
...to find Funky and Leary painting the resonance rings yellow, Honey attending to PMan's wounds, and everyone else getting whammed on the Elderberry wine left in the wagon....

Corsec
"Will somebody tell them to stop drinking the wine? Besides, we'll need it to celebrate if this thing works. And also, Manic is complaining that that's all the fuel he has." said Al, warningly.
"All right, when I'm done getting this wound wrapped" replied PMan.
Al continued.
"And I need some one to stand by the control for the fire marble table to activate it. Tonya, you go do that. Everyone, grab a Pepsi can as usual and line up. as soon as it activates, everyone needs to move quickly through the field before the remodulator overloads. Ready?...Tonya, NOW!" Tonya hit the switch, jumping back to avoid the impending current, which to everyone's surprise, did nothing. Tonya hit it again, but to no avail...

Pman
"Leary, Funky!! What on earth are you doing?!" Al screamed.
Funky and Leary paused and looked at Al. "Uhhm, I thought you said you did not like Cyan?" said Funky.
"The point was not the colour you cretins. Do you honestly think it is going to work any better REGARDLESS of what colour you paint it?!!!
"Well, what colour would you like it Al?" asked Leary.
Al started pulling out clumps of Manic's hair. "STOP IT!!! PUT THE BRUSHES DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE RESONANCE RINGS!!!"
Funky and Leary did as they were told.
"Right Tonya, try again" called Al.

Compare the above with Final Fantasy, Realm, and Vengeance in the Games forum, and even the first part of the Hangover, where the writers really do role play, each telling the story from the POV of their own character. There is a significant difference.

I started Hangover with something like the above in mind, but it did not go as I expected. There ended up being anywhere up to 6 separate POV going on at any one time, with tenuous links between them, because people have written it RP style.
In hindsight, I should have given a clearer explanation of what I wanted to achieve, it may have cleared up a lot of confusion. I should have limited the number of POV in the story. (This was a rule we used in the above excerpt) Perhaps also I should not have used an IFian tale as the subject - that also makes it difficult not to RP.

I will admit that there is probably a very fine line between a bad multi-author adventure, and a good RP tale, and Hangover fell into the RP trap very early on, because of the way it was being written.
Taking ideas and advice from people here, I have evolved the way Hangover is being written, and I think we have pulled ourselves out of the realm of RP now. We could even be approaching a point where posts could be placed directly in the Tales of IF forum, subject to pre-vetting and cleaning up, of course.

I have always intended Hangover to be a Multi Author style experiment, and as long as everyone who is contributing to it remembers that, and concentrates on the story, rather than on the role of their character, then it will be just that.
The acid test is to string a few posts of Hangover together, regardless of who wrote them. Aside from the writing style, if the story flows as if it was written by one person, then it has succeeded as a Multi Author storygame. I think we are only just starting to achieve that now.

So if anyone now dares suggest that Hangover is a RP style game, they shall be struck down by the wrath of the Frog!!! Very Happy

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CF
i totally understand what you mean by that, and it is fun when everyone is playing in narrative, then the other's charrecter's deos something he wouldn't have tought of. Very Happy
Off to hangover then...*looks about at SG*

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cf I have an idea!

Ok Ok, listen. Jez still has the map right. Now IM can take a stick draw two lines crossing each other. The two lylines. The jezz would notice the simalaraty and then IM Can point where each group would go. since speaking would not work. Lillith and I should help by pointing toward the body of Rai, "on emit rof it!"
.... be back with more idearium. hehe

Still even after they noticeing our jabbering talk. Jezz would have no prob to help out, or maybe a translator with him. Ah well. Then they're off to the laylines after long journey. Very Happy
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, wether it is RPG or multi-authoring, it still isn't a storygame. All I need to do is change RP to multi-authoring on my post above, and the meaning will be exactly the same.

But anyway, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, Crunchy.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I demonstrated, there is a big difference between multi-authoring and RP. Multi authoring is where more than one person writes a story. RP is where everyone roleplays a character and writes, based on things that are happening in the scene.

In the last 10 or so posts of Hangover, I believe we have finally made that cross over to Multi Authoring. In particular, check out the last 5 posts, (Argo's flying machine) that constitute the most recent chapter.

In Hangover, all the authors are discussing what happens in the next chapter of the story. Is this not what happens in a storygame? The only difference is that they all get to write, instead of just one person.

The reason I have not done polls is because there are at the moment too many things to poll. It is easier to discuss on a thread, and draw from that information later. But if it was a simpler plot, yes, we would have had actual polls.

Yes, you have hurt my feelings, Lotus, not because you dont understand (which I think I can live with) but because it seems you dont want to understand.

Trying to evolve the way Hangover is written so that it makes that crossover into storygaming has been very hard work for me, and time consuming. I have needed to have belief in it to maintain my drive, and this is not helping.

If you want to criticize, be constructive. If it wasn't for Lordy's constructive criticism early on, we wouldn't have had a Final Version thread. It it had not been for Lebrenth's comments later on, we wouldn't have the decision making that's taking place in this thread, and Hangover would be in Games by now.

Let's draw a line under this now. I want to move on.

-----------------------

Now I hope that we can all continue writing the closing chapters of the Hangover in the way that the most recent chapter has been written.

At the moment I am catching up with the Final Version thread, and in a few days we'll start work on the next chapter, the Realm of Dead IFians. Watch this space!

Smile
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true, sometimes I don't want to listen. But I hear the wisdom of your words, and I understand now what you are trying to do. After all, isn't storygaming essentially multi-authoring? I see it all now.

And I admire you for your dedication to the process. And sorry for not being constructive- I'm just awfully destructive.

I would still like to contribute, except I always run out of time. But I have been reading and following along. Smile
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Final Version of Hangover in the Tales of IF forum is completely up to date.
Click on the pic in my sig to see it. Very Happy

Since there were a multitude of stories going on independently of one another for most of the time, I had to take the whole thing apart and string the posts together in a different order so that it could be pulled into coherent chapters. Any text in itallic is text that I have added to improve the flow of the story.

Where the story was so fragmented for even this to be possible, the contents of some posts had to be rewritten elsewhere in the story, usually in the form of a conversation between characters. This appears in itallic, but the original authors are still recognised for it. In one chapter (chapter 19) it was so RP like that I had to rewrite the first half of the chapter from one perspective. However, nothing has been lost anywhere in the story, and all authors still get the recognition (by their icon) for what they have written.

The only change made to the plot itself is in Chapter 9. Due to earlier disputes about the feasibility of Rai taking over and shutting down the TI, I have edited out all references to 'copying enchantments' on the map. Rai still manages to temporarily lock Jez in and shut down the TI, but it is written more of an opportunistic attempt under the influence of the fog. I hope both Rai and Jez are okay with this.

There are still 4 posts outstanding that need to go into the story, 3 of Rai's (to form a chapter later on in the story) and 1 of Solus' which I really had trouble fitting in and keeping the flow. But they will go in - Solus' may need to be fragmented a bit and drip-fed in, though.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Posting Guidelines for Hangover

The last 8 posts of the Hangover was the best sequence of multi-authoring that we have had, and as a result, I was able to copy each post directly from the Hangover thread into the Final Version thread in the Tales of IF forum, with only minor spelling and grammatical edits to do. This is EXACTLY the result I wanted to achieve. Very Happy Since each contribution was so easily transferrable, I am able to calculate the fables for each separately, and the authors of those posts will be getting credited. Very Happy

Here are some guidelines, to help everyone to multi-author. (We have a good example to follow in Chapter 24, so there should be no excuses!) These guidelines may need to be modified, depending on how well we do with it.

1. DO...
Check the Discussion thread and make yourself aware of what we all agreed in the structure of the chapter before you post. How does it begin? How does it end? Are there any comments from the author of the most recent post?

2. DO...
Follow on directly from the last post, as if you are continuing their narration. Take care to maintain continuity. If you are not sure about a detail you want to write about, ask in the Discussion thread.

3. DO...
Check back to the Discussion thread once you have posted. Add your comments if there are certain things you want to explain about what you wrote, and any suggestions on what you want the next author to pick up.

3. DO...
Watch the length of your post. Try and keep it less than 500 words if you can. There are no penalties if it is longer, but try to avoid massive lengths.

3. DO...
Check the quality of your post. Spell check and grammar check. Write as if you want the Review Board to approve it. It is, after all, going to be tranfserred into the forum in the Fantasy Forest section.

1. DONT...
Write a soliloquy. Also, writing the entire story as seen through your character's eyes is a little too 'RP', and does not flow well.

2. DONT...
Write reams and reams about your character's traits or abilities, or introduce any new abilities so late on in the story, especially if it is for the sake of convenience in the plot.

3. DONT...
Suddenly switch the POV, or write a separate, parallel plotline, that is not directly connected with the chapter in progress. If you feel a temporary POV switch is needed in a chapter, raise it in the Discussion thread first, so we all know what is happening.

Provided that EVERYONE posts multi-author style, I will be able to keep a tally of fables earned for each contribution I transfer over, and credit them to the original authors.

IF, however, these guidelines are not followed, it means I will have to do serious editing, and splice the contributions together with additional text edits to make the whole thing flow, (as I had to do with most of the rest of the Final Version thread) and I wont be able to credit any fables.

Blatant RP style posts will be deleted on sight.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog wrote:

Okay, our next job is to deal with the Realm of Dead IFians. We've already got a setting... I've pulled together everything I could find that has been described about the Realm so far, for the sake of continuity.

This is kind of what it looks like...

The Realm of the Dead IFians so far contains a Tavern, called Ye Old IFian Tavern Club. It sells free unending drinks for the rest of eternity.

In the bar, if you stand on one of the tables, you can pull down some attic steps, and climb up them. When you get to the top you step into a colourless void, as you climb onto the roof of the Tavern.

From there you can see the bottom of the Soul Well. You can also somehow get underneath the Dream Chamber to a computer room where you can change your identity.

We can assume that there is also a route to the Dream Chamber, from the roof of the Tavern.

From the roof is also a room called Channel IF Broadcasting, where views of IF can be seen from various POV.

I vote that this room is where you can communicate via mediums like Solus from Wink

Outside the Tavern although it is an idyllic landscape the sky is a mess. There are 3 great vortices in the sky, all there as a result of the cracking open of the Soul Well. Crunchyfrog has stuck a shard of crystal in the ground, and a permanent spark from the ground extends to the largest vortex in the sky, which has closed it a little. This is the 'patching up' job that Crunch was sent to do.

There are about to be some ghasts and shades let loose into the Realm courtesy of Lordy (IM's latest post) so mayhem is about to ensue.

Now we have to remember that Muaddib and co are not that interested in going back to IF and really want to be left on their own to enjoy their neverending drinks in the Tavern when this is all over.

Perhaps the main structure of the chapter is a communication via Solus, followed by an escape by Crunch, Din, Smudge and Sasuke into the Dream Chamber, whilst Muaddib and co hold the fort against the ghasts and shades, and also keep Crunch's patch-up maintained?

Any other ideas welcome!

There were no other suggestions, so have posted a scene setter now.

The last mention of the Realm of Dead IFians in the story was in one of Argonaut's posts, and runs as follows:

Quote:

Anyway, next author, please carry on from where I left off - remembering how this chapter should end!

Any other ideas about what this chapter should contain, put 'em here!
Argonaut
Mercenary Artist

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some tense related trouble in the last 2 posts.

IM's starts out in future tense from a new pov seemingly an interlude to forshaow the attack. Then he moves to past tense as the shades attack, but the last line is back to future.

Din has taken this as just foreshadowing, and written from the pov before the attack. Also I'm not sure why Shogun is there.

This is a bit confusing, seems like it should be cleaned up somehow.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys I posted according to what CF asked and I hope it helps some. Maybe after mine would be and okay place to begin the scene from the shades and wraiths POV and the attack.

Also, maybe as the attack begins, Din, Smudger, Crunchyfrog and Sasuke use this opportunity to do 3 things.

1.) They relocate the shard.

2.) They manage to enter the Dream Chamber and get in their own bodies.

3.) They go back as living IFians to inform everyone heading to the 'Important' spot of the situation in the Realm of the Dead IFians which would press the importance of getting the Soul Well fixed quickly and raise the suspense of the story as it approaches the climax.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, Lilith! IM's slots in nicely after yours, and with a little editing on the tense, when it goes over, it will be fine.

I agree with your 3 points - but perhaps they can also forewarn D-Lotus via Solus, before they get to the Dream Chamber.

I've continued it on now... Let's keep with the POV of Din, Crunch and Smudge, (They need to rescue Smudge before the wraiths get him, this should be fairly easy, and not get too much in the way of things)

They'll will be able to see how Muaddib is doing from the Tavern roof, once they eventually get there. Unless of course they get herded back to where Muaddib is.

Let's have a little mayhem for a short while, before they finally escape! Very Happy
Argonaut
Mercenary Artist

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhem it is!

Hopefully my fight scene is easy to understand. Once whoever's next figures out how they survive the fall (Sasuke can fly right? he might catch them) they better get on there way without too much more fighting. We really want everyone on there way to the important place for the grand finale Smile

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great!! agro.. now one question just how high is the place they are falling so I can post the next chapter, if it is high there might just be someway of getting a good secene in there.

If it is a bit low and high, they'll live and I'd senmd the next thingy. Very Happy

EDIT: I hope you guys understand why I picked a tree branch first. It si not like Sasuke can go like superman and just grab them out the air.

Hope you guys liked my post.

The wraiths hated the highpitched sound. Ok Smile
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*looks shocked at Argo's post* Wow, it looks like Cooler than I thought. Wink *giggles*

One miraclous survival coming up.....I'll save myself and Smudge first, then I'll turn my post attention to Cruncy and Sasuke, who are trying to contact D via the TV room if that's okay with everyone else.

I'm going to wait for permission to switch views before I do so though, I don't want to create any more chaos than there already is.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Din, you got to this thread before I did... I was posting in Hangover at the same time you were posting here so you probably read the latest story before I submitted my post... You'd written somewhere earlier about shadow beings being able to completely flatten themselves so I used that idea as your survival route...

All the heroes are in the Tavern now, and another IFian is holding the wraiths back outside with the sword...

Very Happy
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good posts all! And great action from Din, Argo and Nightshade!

May have to do a bit of editing re the sudden appearance of a mountain... it would have been too difficult to miss beforehand. But a large tree I can work with. Very Happy

I was also guilty of a continuity blooper regarding Sasuke's whereabouts before he rescued the others, but I've fixed that now.

Nice twist, IM, this could add some extra suspense right at the end.... Sasuke as a kind of hostage... - although again, because of the sudden POV change, it will probably slot in nicely at the end of this chapter. Smile

Okay, for the next author, Crunchy is already in the Channel IF room, so when the others join him, they need to contact D via Solus.

Then they can leave, and the chapter is done! Very Happy

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Next chapter (Chapter 26) is a bit open. Shall we go back to D and co? Or shall we switch to Lordy?

I also have 3 posts of Rai's still to insert as a chapter - that deals with her meeting up with Key and Smee, as the Time curse comes to an end, and they all reconstitute ready for the finale. Just trying to time it right, as to when it should be fitted in.

Lets have some ideas! Very Happy
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All posts in Chapter 25 have been copied over to the final version thread in the Tales of IF forum now, and fables have been transferred!

Just need one more post now from somebody, to finish off this chapter, (Din, Crunchy, Smudger and Sasuke warning D-Lotus and co via Solus, that not much time is left) and then we're on to the final chapter!

Very Happy
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, CF, I gave it a whirl... let me know if anything is inaccurate or needs to be changed! Wink

© 2007-2019 Lilith
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now what.......Now that is over, where to next?

Personally, I vote for the view from Lordy....since I don't think we've had any chapters from his view, other than sort post here and there that is, and it might be interesting to see the expression (so to speak) on his face as all his precious plans go up in smoke.

Unless of course, anyone else has any ideas?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10
Jump to: