Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Dying Twice.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, C'ren - that actually looks pretty cool.

I may just have to steal that name - hope you don't mind.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay it was a three way tie...I seem to be running into ties too much lately...so I had to pick one option and run with it.
-------------------

Aria Three: Checkmate

Alyson continued to rub Victor's back even after his sobs and stopped and his breathing became regular. "Are you okay now?" He sniffed and looked up at her.

"Some tough hero I turned out to be eh? Bawling like a baby the moment the alcohol kicked in." Alyson smiled.

"I'm the hero remember? You called me in to save you so chill. I'll handle things from here." She stood up and looked out over the sleeping city. "Damn but I wish so much time hadn't passed. I have no way of getting information quickly, no doubt my network's long gone." Vet shrugged and Victor staggered off in the general direction of the bathroom.

"Dunno what's happened. Your day was before my time...way before..." Vet hiccuped and swayed where she was sitting. She squinted at Alyson over the top of her shotglass. "So what are you going to do now?"

Alyson ran a hand through her thick hair, frowning as she pulled a bit of wire out of it. "First things first I want you, Victor, and Suzanna out of here before dawn."

"No can do Missus Roboto." Vet giggled. "I'm totally smashed at the moment and that means it's time to hide the keys in the couch cushions." Alyson walked over to where Vet sat, tension raidiating through ever muscle in her body.

Without thinking much she twitched her fingers over Vet's glass, letting something small and silvery fall into the brandy. A moment later Vet's eyes refoucused and she shook her head a bit. "What happened? One moment I'm comfortably drunk and now...you did it didn't you." Alyson nodded.

"And I'm going to do a whole lot more if you don't get Victor and Suzanna outta here. With all the booze in him Victor should sleep like a mule and Suzanna's exhausted. It shouldn't be beyond you to hide two people." Vet thought a moment, looking around desperately.

"I've got no clue Alyson. I'm not in your buisness, I don't have those contacts." Alyson hissed through teeth that were rapidly elongating. Then she snapped her fingers.

"Vet is the transit station still standing?" Vet looked at her with furrowed brows for an instant before understanding dawned.

"Yeah but nobody goes anywhere near it...oh I get it."

"How long to move the lab...without anybody knowing you're doing it." Vet chuckled and walked to the lab. She put two fingers to her lips and whisteled. Almost instantly everything in the lab folded in on it's self until all that was left was a steel breif-case. "Alright I take it that's all we need."

"Yup. Home in a nutshell. You just want me to go set it up down there?" Alyson nodded. "And while I'm doing all this what are you going to be doing? Or would I rather not know?"

"I'm going to go have a look at where Aren lived." She tapped her head. "I've got a schematic of sorts up here, a city grid layout. Finding a building that recently blew itself off the map shoulding be a problem now lets get going! We're burning starlight!" With that Alyson fell out the window and vanished somewhere over the city sky.

Vet wandered into the bathroom where Victor was snoring away next to the john. Throwing an arm over his shoulder she led him down to the van. The floor still reeked of vomit but who cared. He might puke again on the way to the station who knew? Then, with total stealth, she snuck back in and grabbed Suzanna. Making sure everyone was buckled in she drove all the way across town at a sedate pace.
-----------------------

Alyson couldn't understand it. She'd scanned the rubble every which way a million times over and couldn't find any traces of Aren. She'd found his wife, some of his loyal people, and some of the attackers, but not Aren. Even if he'd been vaporized there'd be some trace of him someplace...yet he was gone as surely as if he'd never been.

Her sensors told her that a squad of three Soldiers were headed her way. She crouched low amoung the rubble, the node on her chest glowing and the green overlay informing her that she'd enabled stealth mode. When the Soldiers came they did their own sweeps, finding nothing of course.

"All clear." One mumbled into his microphone. He cocked his head, listenening to the return transmission, before nodding to one of his companions who sat a brown paper sack down on a flat bit of rubble. Alyson did a quick scan and nearly pull a Cherynoble. There was a holo chip, vaccume sealed to prevent any harm from coming to it, and a chunk of flesh...Aren's flesh.

It seemed like ages before the Soldiers returned from whence they came allowing Alyson to sneak over and retrive the package. She ripped it open with a fury, discarding the wrapper and the indicator that told Baxter somebody had opened the package. She fed the holo chip into her inner computer and watched as a small screen appeared in her vison overlay.

"No doubt if you're watching this Alyson then you've already figured out the awful truth. I didn't kill Aren in the assault on his house, the Soldiers all had strict orders not to. I wanted to make him watch as I destroyed everything he had...and you've only made it that much better for me.

Coming back as a Revenant! I'd have never thought you had it in you...what that makes you the oldest Revenant ever right? Well I'll enjoy killing you again...this time in front of you so precious son even."

"I've no doubt that, even as you watch this, you've spirited his children to some safe locale...though what stronghold of yours remains after all this time I know not. I remember earlier this evening you told me to pick my time, ground, and bring an army. Well I'll do that but I'll also pick my trophy. You'd better bring Aren's brats with you."

"You see if you win then I'm dead and Aren and his family go free. He's able to rebuild the corporation with your undying ass next to him for all eternity and I rot in hell. But if I win then I get to all four of your heads above my mantle. Seems fair enough to me.

So remember, bring the kids to...oh lets say the old transit building for old time's sake around two a.m. Be there or else."
The last image on the tape was that of Aren. Older than she remembered him, burned, cut, and badly beaten...but it was still Aren.

Alyson gasped and rocketed through the air with a speed that bordered on breaking the sound barrier. He was already on his way to the transit building! And she'd sent Vet and the kids there already! It had just become a deadly race against the clock to see who got there first.

Hell he might already be there, with all the time she'd been poking around the remains of Aren's house and watching his stupid video. Yet she passed his convoy en rout and manage to get into the dim building first. She swept it with scanners, finally locating Vet just as she was about to set up the lab.

"Vet no! Baxter's on his way...he'll be here in a few minutes!"

"You've got to do something! Delay him or something so the kids and I can have running room...what's wrong?" Alyson was shaking her head. She felt some of her old composure returning and with it her head for tactics.

"No I can't do that. Baxter has Aren, alive, and is using him as a barganing chip. I have to use the kids as mine." She was rapidly reviewing her options as the overlay displayed them until one made her go "That's it!"

As gently as she could, she nicked the finger's of Victor and Suzanna, letting a few drops of their blood fall in either of her palms. "What are you doing...Alyson?"

"Hang on Vet. I don't know if this is going to work or not." Small nanobots from her own bloodstream mixed with the small quantities of blood. Suddenly there wasn't just blood. The nanobots rapidly mutlitiplied, creating exact replicas of the kids. Vet gasped and reached out. "I wouldn't. You have other things to do."

"Like?"

"You have scanner sheilds? Something that won't be an obvious cloak but will make all sweeps of this room show up negative?" Vet snorted and tapped the breifcase... a small metal cyclender popped out a moment later.

"Do I look like a bumpkin? Of course I have it, been working on it myself." She set the cylender in the middle of the room and activated it. "Now do a sweep." At first Alyson could find nothing, she had to go almost out of her range to know they were there.

"It'll do. If I have a hard time finding you then those Soldiers won't have a chance...unless they start doing a room by room search." Vet patted the case.

"There's enough nasties in here that you just need to worry about kicking Baxter's ass. I'll hold the fort." Alyson nodded then snapped her fingers. She handed Vet a bit of silver powder.

"If things get hairy use that and wake up Victor." The woman nodded.

"Good luck Alyson."

"You too Vet." With those few words Alyson slipped out with the clones to wait for Baxter, who had literally brought an army, and was taking his sweet time deploying them...in all the wrong places. Looks like he was plotting an ambush...that filthy rotten bastard...Well...he's gonna get his...

Baxter and his entourage entered via the stairway. "Boss, where do you want the...'display' set up?" Baxer flipped a hand.

"String Aren up wherever, just make sure he's visible." The Soldier moved to hang Aren's lifeless body, the only reason Alyson knew he was alive was because her scanners said so, on one of the I-beams.

A plan suddenly occured to her. Everyone was distracted at the moment. When the guard left Aren to hang she could move in and rescue him...Or she could simply still go with her pitch and switch idea using the clones to fool Baxter....

Both had merit but which one would work better?

"Music makes you braver."
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Topics: 18

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have waited a little longer. Late Friday is not exactly the best time to start and finish. Especially on St. Patrick's day.

Thesopholis - A Noir Sci-Fi Story - Chapter 8 is up! Read it here
The End of the Voyage - Chapter 9
Shady the Furry Goblin! [Demon's, Satan and Slobadan Milosevic!] - Chapter 3
The Quest for the Legendary Rubber-Duckie! - Chapter 3
One Last Bullet.... Chapter 3
Green Eyes - Chapter 5
mr_moochie

Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say use the clones and be rid of the bastard... Or close to rid of. YAY me?
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB, you forgot - Rai's not British* and won't be celebrating St. Patricks day

*or maybe you are - I can't remember

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*stares at Lordy over a glass of green beer* Not British no...American mutt through and through...but there's enough Irish* in me to start a barfight...and win Wink

kiss me and you won't live to regret it

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See - I thought so. And I'm pretty sure most Americans don't celebrate St. Patricks day.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that you may not get out of hell much Lordy but Americans will celebrate just about any damn holiday you can think of...we just like to party...

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your new av makes you look younger Rai.

-Random comment dept.
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone notice a blossoming relationship growing between our favourite dragon/pink demon couple. Very Happy
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, meat for the Storymill there!! Laughing
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wonders how roast Smee tastes* Excuse me but I keep this kind of banter up with all my gaming buddies...I could talk to you like I talk to most people...

And China...*wanders off to see how much she could get for a furry, red, monster pelt*

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww - don't you like me anymore Rai?

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*looks from her sword to Lordy and contimplates samuri style suicide* Never liked you that way...nobody who wears pink spandex can command my respect, never mind actually getting a date with me...

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me just whose idea the spandex was? I think you'll find in all the other tales I go about shrouded only in darkness.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, Lordy is much worse than just a demon who wears spandex. Stay WELL away! Shocked

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the vote of confidence Soily.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem man, just looking our for poor old Kal... Wink Razz

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's touching to have a defender, no matter how misplaced his ideas about my needing defending, I realized that having someone shrouded in NOTHING but darkness was rather offensive and since the pink spandex was handy...well you get my point.

Also if it ever came down to a fair match between Lordy and I, I bet you fifty dollars that he wouldn't walk away Wink ...limp maybe but not walk...

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn straight I wouldn't. I'd either fly or disappear, but not walk. That's for lesser beings.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh so you'd run...just as I thought... Wink

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when has flying or disappearing been taking for running away - after the fight?

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it makes certain assumptions...such as that you'd be able to. I didn't spend all that time...never mind it's not important but the bet still stands...

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty dollars? That's not much.

How about ten quarts of dragon's blood - seeing how I'll be getting that anyways.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only ten? You value your freedom* at ten quarts of blood? Damn you come cheap...

*You do realize if you lose I'd enslave you for eternity?

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we were having a bet about whether or not I could walk away after a fight? If you want to up the stakes and become a Drashnai*, then just give the word.

*Drashani - Dragon Guardians of Hell, incase you didn't know

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know I'm on a first name basis with them. However hell can freeze over as far as I'm concerned*...and the bet was wether I'd beat you in a fight not whether you could walk away or not...

*Nothing important down there anyway.

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bet you fifty dollars that he wouldn't walk away ...limp maybe but not walk...

You were saying?

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*realizes that's what she said* Oh well not like any of this is going to happen anyway because I don't live in Hell and you, obviously, don't live in the real world.

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't stop me from materialising there. I mean, don't you think that managing the River Styx would get a bit boring after eternity - I need my fun as much as any of the Arch-Fiends.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but I stopped demon hunting years ago...it got boring and pridictable...moved on to hunting other dragons...

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like dragons. Funny story actually, I've always prefered them to unicorns. Lots of people find me strange because of that - but I find dragon blood has an extra kick in it.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And well it should. I'd like some sissy unicorn to just try and take me out. I know that they're an endagered species and all but hey, they started it and I finished it...well done preferrably...

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I always say that - have you been reading my notes?

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're as old as I am Lordy there's not much new under the sun...

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't much care for the sun myself - bad for my completion.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I see...

Now do you have any comments on the story or am I just an amusing dragon who's tail your tugging on?

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story...story - there was a story behind all of this?

Well, it was a good chapter, I can remember that much.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Votes needed, yours will count..

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted, and winning.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion

Alyson's choice.
Use Clones?
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Try stealth?
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Be a badass?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3
Who Voted: LordoftheNight, Shady Stoat

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: