Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Tales from BSA Troop 88 -- Final chapter posted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good story - although I did have the advantage of having read it beforehand. Still, I'd have to say it's fiction, simply because of the combination of topics. Chinaren and bomb? Nah!

My suggested word for the week is going to be...

Tongue

(let's see what you make of that one!)
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes, i vote fiction as well

because i dont think that all of the boys would have to put money in for the cost of repairs - i think it would just be the culprit - ie lordy - ie me

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
jnmrcs
Builder

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure... I said fact.
For a word, what about "squirrel"
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then of curse do to a last minute vacation plan change I'm back early Surprised

Ok updating the results from the last poll to the first draw ever on this thread Laughing

Thanks again Shady Very Happy
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick vote "Tongue" or "Squirrel" for the next story to contain
You have ~24 hours
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go for squiggel Very Happy
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squirrel

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squirrel
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed the vote. Oh well, squirrel.
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well SM Bob I see that the vote went for fiction this time and I must admit that you told a good tale.

Wall thank you very much. That factual story just goes to prove what I’ve been saying. “Truth is stranger then fiction”.

Only one little problem SM Bob, the voters still lead you by a poll.

Wall it really should ave been a tie but someone tied up dat poll dat would have tied us up.

Be that as it may the voters have decided your going to tell us a story about a squirrel to day.

Wall that doesn’t sound very interesting. Hmm Suneila! Come tell these kind folks bout your squirrel.

They wouldn’t be interested in that story. Nothing happened.

Wall we need to give them a story and I think yours would be perfect.

Ok here is my Environmental Science 8 hours of observation report.

Please not all 10 pages.
Ok the short version that I’ve though about making a story out of called The friendly squirrel.

Day three 4o’clock in the afternoon:

Well it’s been a hard week here at summer camp with my taking 7 classes and having this 8 hour observation assignment. I decided to set up under the bridge crossing the creek by our camp so I could soak the reeds for my basket and work on it while I observe. I have my notebook here by my side to write down anything I see.

Not much to observe besides the salamanders and wind. Hey look across the creek there’s a funny little squirrel. He is running around the root of the tree and looks like he might climb it. I wonder if he sees me.

Look at his head jump up. He must have heard something that scarred him. It sure wasn’t me but I hope he doesn’t run away. It’s hard to fill up my notebook when all most of the animals have been scarred away by the previous six weeks of camp.

I think he sees me because he’s starting to slowly move my way. Oops I picked up a reed just a little too fast and he raced back to the tree and round the back side. Oh well maybe he’ll stick his nose around again sometime.

Day five 4o’clock in the afternoon:

Well I’ve set up under the bridge and got my basket out again. Once again I’m seeing nothing but wind. Looking over too the tree I see no sign of the friendly squirrel. Oh wait I wrote too soon. He just stuck his head around the tree.

I wonder why he’s so jumpy. There can’t be any predators around here after so many weeks of camp. I wonder what would happen if I left some crackers on the other side of the creek? Well I finished weaving that reed in so let’s find out.

Look he raced up that tree as soon as I stood up. Here we go I’m headed up the bank, across the bridge, and now I’m throwing a cracker by the base of the tree. Well back down to my observation post. My basket is coming nicely even if there isn’t much to see.

Day five 4:30 in the afternoon:

Look he stuck his head out and is headed down the tree. He’s sniffing the cracker but doesn’t seem to know what to make of it. I wonder if he’ll eat it sometime. Oh there he goes. Well now let me give him another one. Oops there he goes.

I really wish I had time to see him again but after finishing my hour of observation I had also finished my basket so I had to move to the lake to observe wildlife while I caught my fish for the fishing merit badge.

Thank you Suneila for sharing that story with us. Now SM Bob, what would you like to talk about next week?

Wall I’ve noticed that the participation in this story game is dropping and I’m wonderin if I should keep goin. I seem to be a leetle rough for dem der city slickers listening to me talk.

Well SM Bob we can discuss this later when the score clarifies but don’t you think that it would be better if you waited for the score to drift one way or the other?

Wall I’ll wait and see for now. Hmm let’s see what I can offer to talk bout next week.
AT
Fire
Pranks
Snake

Thank you SM Bob I hope to hear from you again next week. Till then thanks for reading everyone Smile.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voted for fact, as im sure that could easily happen

and i think the next one has to be snake

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough chapter! Hmmm... fact. As Lordy says, it sounds plausible.

I'm going to agree with him on snake too. Smile
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Forgot to log in again Smile
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about this one. Something strange I see...
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for fiction, but it was just a guess.
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SM Bob that was a good story but the voters figured out that it was indeed fiction.

Wall darn Them city slickers ar smarter than dey look.

Hmm I'd better not comment on that one or I might get in trouble here. So moving on..

SM Bob the readers have decided that they would like to hear about a snake.

Wall I'm not at all sure dat dey would find this story interesting an I'm convinced dat dey are smarter den dey look.

SM Bob they have been waiting for this story for over two months. In fact I joined the fantasy guild today and discovered that the Moderators have struck your stories of the list of ongoing ones for this forum.

What!?!

Wall in that case I'll just head on home.

Come on SM Bob I'm sure there are still some folks who would enjoy hearing your story about a snake. I know I would.

Wall I'll tell you on the way back home.

Why not tell anyone who is interested then you can bring me up to date on the plans for summer camp for this year on the way home?

If you can do a good job wrapping it up I'm sure we can get this story moved to the archives SM Bob.

What does dat mean?

It means that it will be put in a special place where new visitors to the site can read the complete records of your talk and enjoy them before moving on to the current ongoing stories. I will also receive my monetary reward for hosting this event.

You mean they won't pay ya till I finish? An if I don't you don't get paid at all?

That's the short explanation. In addition they'll delete all records of this discussion.

So dat dey can pick on some other poor fellow from the country!?! I don't think so!

So that's settled. Can you tell us a true story about a snake SM Bob?

Wall der are snakes and der are snakes. Why I doubt I will ever forget that copperhead the boys found under their tent platform. Why when Jimbo

Wait just a sec please SM Bob I just remembered that I need to let the editors know that I'm translating your speech to text as best I can and the written record of yours speech is riddled with apparent typos.

Think dey'll read what you just said?

Of course they will.

Den I think you've said nough.

Now as I was saying...
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then - if that story ever appears...

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting it very anxiuos.... Cool
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*grins* Nice to see the scouts back in action again Ingro. Very Happy
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks. Give me a little more time. I'm having a little trouble deciphering this part of the meeting. All those crazy ramblings and trying to keep him on track and all.

Hope you enjoyed part one Very Happy
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As best as I can make out you get three stories about snakes for the final story. I hope you folks have as much fun reading it as I did transcribing it. As always opinions reflected in the story are done mostly for humorous purposes and do not necessarily reflect my own or the real “SM Bob”'s opinions.

Ok now you can rip it apart Wink

It was the third day of summer camp an some of de scouts came running by yellin dat dey found a snake. Wall I know dat since it was de week of camp der was no way they would have found any snake cept for the Environmental Science instructor's pet.

Hoo boy did dem boys love dat snake. He had to replace it a least three times a summer cause the boys would borrow it and den loose it. He must ave appreciate the way dey feed it rats many times a day. I bet he never had to feed dat sucker himself once durin the summer.

You wouldn't have thought he was gettin such a good deal the way he complained. Why one year he ad the nerve to demand dat I sit with the boys in his class. He claimed dat dey were dangerous to all his pets. He keeps three padlocks on the door to his building an claims dat my boys are trouble.

Wall of course I couldn't attend every one of his classes for de week. I have a real job, something most of dem camp staff don't have a clue what is. I had to take it up to the camp director an he told dat guy that he would have to settle for an Assistant Scout Master sittin in on his class. Can you believe it! I ad to arrange for an adult to sit in every class he taught my boys for the entire week. An him bein the Nature Lodge Director too!

Wall my boys enjoyed catching snakes an all but I told dem...

Err SM Bob you were going to tell us about the snake in the campsite.

Wall so I was.

Why the last time I saw dem scouts so excited dey came an told me dat some shotgun wielding maniac was shootin rattlers in the pioneering area. Wall I figured I'd see what dey were so excited about an headed down der.

On my way I passed bout half the troop racin back to camp to tell der friends bout the rattler dat the Scout Skills director was skinnin durin class. Why dey complain bout my scouts tryin to learn but den call it an interestin activity when the Director decides to let class out to watch im skin an snake. They're not der to watch someone skin a snake. Dats none of der business. They're der to get de merit badge. Why dey didn't even get a good close view as e even made dem stay back cause it could be dangerous.

Wall dat wasn't totally fair but I was more concerned bout the shotgun totin maniac runnin round camp. Specially since you can't even smoke outside of designated areas, let alone carry a gun or ammo in camp. Wall I ad just bout reached de area when I met the shootin sports director carrying one of his shotguns. He told me dat dey ad spotted a 4 foot rattler in one of the campsites and called him on the radio to kill it.

With it bein that close to the boys dey aint takin any chances. Wall I told him that I agreed and asked bout the complaints bout the boys skinnin it. He told me dat dere wasn't no danger an de pioneering director just wanted a nice snake skin for his wall. De boys were skippin class without permission be he didn't want to make a big deal out it as he didn't think Scout Masters should ave to attend all dem classes with the boys.

I agreed with him and went to see de snake. It sure was fun an the pioneering director sure was a good sport bout all dem boys skippin class. Said he believes it was a once in a lifetime experience for dem to see it but he didn't want dem gettin hurt. Da head had been buried away from de scouts so dat dey wouldn't hurt demselves with it.

So I told him...

Thank you SM Bob for that story but weren't you going to tell us about the snake in camp? Or was that just a false alarm?

Wall that weren't no false alarm. No sir!

Jimbo found a snake under one of dem tent platforms that I told y'all bout. He an some of de other boys decided to take care of it for it could hurt someone. Wall I aint never seen such self sacrifice as dem boys displayed.

Heedless of any possible danger to demselves dey started throwing rocks at it to try to kill it. Some of de other boys found some bamboo pools we brought for lasing an started beating it's head in. By the time I got over der they had killed it and mangled the dead body beyond recognition. Such good boys dey were. Never understood why the camp looked down on dem so.

Wall de boys thought it was a copperhead and since dey are poisonous dey thought dey had to act right away. Why I very rarely see such self sacrifice from boys that age an I think I know why now. Would you believe that the Camp Commissioner lectured dem for a half hour on not messin with snakes! The nerve! He should ave been congratulating dem not tearing dem down.

I told him so privately an he sure tore into me. Tried to lecture me about responsibility an keepin dem safe. He must think that I can be attending class per his requirements an be in camp at da same time!
He said it was a good thing that it probably was a non-piousness snake but I should call for someone to come out with a shotgun next time.

We have a threat to the boys in camp an he wants us to send one of dem boys runnin all de way to de admin buildin den wait for dem to find the Shooting Sports director to get a shotgun up to camp. How does he expect us to keep de boys safe all dis time? What if it had a mate that got scared off by all the poundin?

I may never understand those power trippin admins an their unreasonable demands. An dey wonder why kids today don't think of anythin but demselves.

Why if I had my way...

Thank you for another interesting story SM Bob. Well I guess it's time to wrap this puppy up and see if I can't get it moved to the archives.

Thank you SM Bob and crew for sharing your stories with us. I would also like to extend a huge thank you to all the audience who stayed with this story and voted.

It sure was a close race and I hope you all enjoyed it.

Until I get some other stories finished.

Ingro out.

Wall I suppose it wasn't that bad. Suppose we head home an I might even come back someday when there is more interest.

If you can schedule it when I have more time to interpret this stuff so they can read it sure Very Happy
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was interesting to be sure. Unforetunately that means it's finished, and I have to cross it off my reading list.

Write another one as soon sa you can Ingro.

Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clapping Well finished Ingro. We finally made it - and with THREE stories about a snake, no less. Finish in style, why don't you?

So - onto Eango part 2 then? Wink
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Good finish Ingro - earnt a worthy place in the archives Smile

ooh Eango 2 - well prodded Stoat Smile
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. So sorry that it finish but it was really nice...
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Ingro! Clapping
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks Very Happy

Don't worry finishing Eango's Tale is next on my agenda as he just won't leave me alone.

No promises on how soon though Wink
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: