Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Chapter 4: The Eichos Grove
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Wheel - The Machine's Daughter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Muaddib
Comrade

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah what he said. Smile
Mother Goose
Respected Citizen

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone believe that if Pilla had known what Peran had in mind (as a sophisticated adult in our culture would have guessed) she would have gone to the grove? Suppose he had said, "Come to the grove tonight and I'll show you how it feels when animals mate"? That might have been informed consent. What happened was certainly not.

When she did realize what had happened ("she had been Peran's she-goat") she felt used, as indeed she was.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Topics: 17

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother Goose wrote:
Does anyone believe that if Pilla had known what Peran had in mind (as a sophisticated adult in our culture would have guessed) she would have gone to the grove? Suppose he had said, "Come to the grove tonight and I'll show you how it feels when animals mate"? That might have been informed consent. What happened was certainly not.

When she did realize what had happened ("she had been Peran's she-goat") she felt used, as indeed she was.

I agree with what you're saying, and think that is the point some people were trying to make. Pilla had no hint of what was to happen in the grove last chapter. I am sure if Peran had invited her to experience the joy of being an animal, she would have thought better of it. But like you pointed out, what she expected was totally different from what she experienced.

Samadhi Traveler 2005 Nano Wrimo winner (53,019 words)

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pilla doesent understand that sex HAS a deeper meaning.

And what deeper meaning is that then? Sex is sex. There is no deep meaning to it. Look at any animal, they all do it! Fundamental basic drive and all that.

I can't bring myself to believe that Pilla was totally ignorant of reproduction. She may have been brought up by machines, but surely her earlier non-specialized courses would have covered animal reproduction at some point. [/quote]
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Topics: 58

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peran did serve his own self-interests, but Pilla is hardly ignorant. Inexperienced, but not foolish. She was curious, and even knowing the exact specifics of what would happen in the grove, she would have had a desire to go and learn and experience. Now if she would have known the others' reactions, I think she would have chosen to hide it better. These are the things that she didn't fully consider. Not just the implications but also the repercussions.

She was content enough with what she had done and the choices she made, until she felt the weight of others' shame. Her thoughts were positive until she had their reactions pushed upon her, and then she took on their shame.

Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll's up!
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted i did, but I guess I don't have to say this anymore with the new 'Who voted thingy!'
Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And what deeper meaning is that then? Sex is sex.

Some of us believe in heiros gamos.
Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for finding Gorgos. She knows that he is the only person like her, so it would be reasonable to expect some insight from him.
dovesland

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to interject here. I find it hard to understand why we are debating my morals are better than yours. what we have here is a WOMAN, not a child. not only that, but a highly educated WOMAN. yes we can clearly see that she didnt know anything about sex, but animal nature and animal urges are basic and come from with us. yes she was happy and cosey with the thoughts of what happened, until she saw the discust from her peers. My question and interjection is, if a human or animal is capable of having sex and having emotions, what kind of emtions are attributed to robots? have we any background to prove that her "robot" parental set have any inkling of what she is going through? that the robot society has any type of intimate contact? It's not a question of what WE think about sex and it's implications It is what she has been taught, and what her emotions and insticts are telling her. I still think that she needs to talk with the animal professor. She needs to find the other like herself, and to do that a LOGICAL person would need to be prepared for that journey. I just dont feel that she is ready for the journey yet. there are a lot of issues that need to be resolved before heading off into the wild. anyhoo my opinion and a dollar will buy you a cheap cup of coffee, so take with cream and sugar if you want.
saxon215

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinaren wrote:
Quote:
Pilla doesent understand that sex HAS a deeper meaning.

And what deeper meaning is that then? Sex is sex. There is no deep meaning to it. Look at any animal, they all do it! Fundamental basic drive and all that.

I can't bring myself to believe that Pilla was totally ignorant of reproduction. She may have been brought up by machines, but surely her earlier non-specialized courses would have covered animal reproduction at some point.
[/quote]
well we huymans are the only ones who find pleasure in sex so that makes us different from animals and humans ascosiate sex with love becsause in christianity and most other religions it is frowned apon to engage in sexual intercoarse with someone you are not married to because marrige is ment to represent a bond of love and if you are only supposed to have sex and that bond has been created then it must also carry the same signifigance and it must also represent love, that is LOGICAL also
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You almost convinced me to speak to the Animal professor, doveland.

But I think the hostility and disappointment she has experienced from those she trusted is going to be enough to drive her from her home sooner rather than later - even if she isn't quite ready.

She's fully grown, and intelligent - but with a lot of questions and confusion. She'll seek out Gorgos, although I'm sure much will happen before she finally finds him.

Quote:
well we huymans are the only ones who find pleasure in sex so that makes us different from animals

Actually Sax, research has shown that Dolphins have sex for pleasure and so do some species of primate. It's not a purely human trait at all. Smile

Happy Writing. Smile
saxon215

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn smee called my bluff, i know that smee but it was a lot better for my argument if you didnt.
well obviously that shows that the smarter and more evolved you are the more you enjoy yourself, after all no other aniumals have alcohol right?
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol - wrong again Sax. Smile

A fair number of species consume substances that given similar effects to being drunk.

Again some primates - chewing on sugar cane that has fermented in the sun.

Some large cats like leapards have also been recorded rolling around in strange ways. Analysis of the plant showed it to have a narcotic-like chemical that made the cats 'drunk'.
saxon215

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..... i hate you smee
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Smart

Well if Smee hadn't of said it, I would have!
saxon215

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but its the way smee does it, sitting there smugly in his red velvet chair with a glass full of brandy in his left hand
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta admire his style! Very Happy
saxon215

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and also his guile
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voted

and if they hadn't i would have

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Mother Goose
Respected Citizen

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the experience in the grove was pretty overwhelming for Pilla, and she would want to get away to sort it out in peace for a while. She would not head to a country where everyone is a satyr, even though that's where she might find Gorgos (Peran was not too positive about Gorgos anyway). It's very far, too.

If she goes for the teaching position in Nunoz, she would feel protected by the Zigot army, among familiar ways but away from the people who have knowledge of her - a fresh start. Also she may have a chance to observe other "animal" creatures.

This is not to say things will really be calm. She discounts it, but she is stepping into the middle of a war!
dovesland

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother Goose wrote:
.........If she goes for the teaching position in Nunoz, she would feel protected by the Zigot army, among familiar ways but away from the people who have knowledge of her - a fresh start. ........

yes, but do robots not have communications and ways unlike human or animal thought processes to send news? would the dissapointment of her peers not be instantly transmitted ahead of her on her journey? I think she will have to go after gorgos, but it will have to be away from her "people". to me it makes sence, I dont know.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:

A fair number of species consume substances that given similar effects to being drunk.

Some large cats like leapards have also been recorded rolling around in strange ways. Analysis of the plant showed it to have a narcotic-like chemical that made the cats 'drunk'.

Well, catnip is one of the few things that would make a cat go crazy.

Smee, do we have to add walking encyclopedia to your list of honors? If I am remember correctly, you're also known as the walking dictionary. But I think we deduced that you keep an Oxford English Dictionary right by your monitor. Cool

I personally don't think Pilla will go look for Gorgos. She already has a bad impression of one, how will she feel seeing another. Another, might I add, who is not very well-respected by his own people. My vote goes for the teaching position at Nugoz.

-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
saxon215

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenwing wrote:
Smee wrote:

Smee, do we have to add walking encyclopedia to your list of honors? If I am remember correctly, you're also known as the walking dictionary. But I think we deduced that you keep an Oxford English Dictionary right by your monitor. Cool

im betting 50F he has a set of dictionaries and encyclopedias on his desk and where did that idea i had go for a fable money symbol emtion thing
dovesland

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxon215 wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Smee wrote:

im betting 50F he has a set of dictionaries and encyclopedias on his desk and where did that idea i had go for a fable money symbol emtion thing

Huh?
saxon215

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dovesland wrote:
saxon215 wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Smee wrote:

Huh?

what are you huh-ong about what dont you understand?
Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh crap one of those quote whirlpools. Sheesh.
dovesland

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxon215 wrote:
dovesland wrote:
saxon215 wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Smee wrote:

Huh?

ooooohhhh loook a pretty picture...tee hee....I was talking about the fable money symbol emotion thing...what was that?
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muaddib wrote:

I don't think a lot of people bother cutting the quotes when posting.

As for the fable money emoticon, that would be cool. But what would it look like? Maybe a capital F with two vertical slashes through it like a dollar sign? Cool

-Confucius
Non-Logged in Shogun

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satyrs are awesome a bit strange but awesome. Kinda weird that she did it with a satyr but hey, it's a new experience. I think she should go look for the Prof.(of animals)
AreonK

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, fixed up the site a lot key! You have now guilds(clans), a marketplace, money(fables) and now you know who voted! Cool!

I voted to go to Gorgus Forest.
saxon215

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dovesland wrote:
saxon215 wrote:
dovesland wrote:
saxon215 wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Smee wrote:

Huh?

ooooohhhh loook a pretty picture...tee hee....I was talking about the fable money symbol emotion thing...what was that?

yeah what Rave said, you know how you have the little emotions on the side like Smile and Smile there should be a cooley designed one with an F in oit for the fable symbol you know how tgeres like $ for dollars and all

Ravenwing wrote:
Muaddib wrote:

what do you mean bu that rave like cut/pasting so you can use two quotes in one post or cutting so that you only quote the important part?
Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polling has closed. The vote was to go the Goatfoot Forest.

Thanks, everybody Smile
saxon215

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow im still amazed by how popular this story is, its been around for a short time but has more posts in it then most of the longer running storygames
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenwing wrote:
Muaddib wrote:

what do you mean bu that rave like cut/pasting so you can use two quotes in one post or cutting so that you only quote the important part?[/quote]

What I mean is that I could be like you and just make a giant post with all the quotes instead of just quoting the one I meant to respond to. Like now, I could just delete Muaddib's quote and just quote what you asked, but I am not going to because I already deleted the big chunk of quotes.

-Confucius
saxon215

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenwing wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Muaddib wrote:

Quote:
what do you mean bu that rave like cut/pasting so you can use two quotes in one post or cutting so that you only quote the important part?

What I mean is that I could be like you and just make a giant post with all the quotes instead of just quoting the one I meant to respond to. Like now, I could just delete Muaddib's quote and just quote what you asked, but I am not going to because I already deleted the big chunk of quotes.

ohhh so thats what you meant, because i didnt get what you meant. yeach i can understand where you're comming from with that, hey remember the quote pyramid from the old IF that was in the open forum that i started and then hte moderator of the open fourm deleteed it, and then she made it a habit and did it withna foew other threads, remeber that rave?
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be talking about my alter ego, sax. 'Cause moi would never do such a thing. Cool

-Confucius
dovesland

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah yeah yeah my technical skills beat yours and yours and yours....la la la Im wondering when we will get a new chapter...Im getting addicted...........
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next chapter should come out sometime tonight West Coast time, which is about 3 hours behind Eastern time.

*grabs a chair, and plops in front of the door that would lead to the next chapter* First in line!

-Confucius
dovesland

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Raven, I was out job hunting and havnt been on the board so much now I have something to look forward to...yeah!!!!

What do you do?
Take the position at Nugoz
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Go to the Goatfoot Forest and look for Gorgos
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
Try to find Peran
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Talk to the Animal Research Educator
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14
Who Voted: Chinaren, ethereal_fauna, Idea master, jnmrcs, LordoftheNight, Mother Goose, Muaddib, Ravenwing, Shady Stoat, Smee

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Wheel - The Machine's Daughter All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: