Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Murder by Magic. 7. THE MURDERER REVEALED!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Murder by Magic. 7. THE MURDERER REVEALED!! Reply with quote

Various notes!

Synopsis.

'You' and your employer, Etrax Rigel - Magic Dick*, have had a mysterious invitation to Cronos Hall, home of the recently deceased Count Cronos.

Upon your arrival you met a young man, Josh, and his twin sister Sam. Along with other guests no one seemed to know why they were there.

The mystery was soon revealed by the Ghost of the Dead Count Cronos himself, who announced that he was stuck in Limbo until a situation was resolved. His magic, when alive, had predicted that certain people brought together would resolve his problem, though he couldn't say what it was.

The Count triggered a pre-prepared spell which activated a shield around the grounds, that prevented any exit or entry as well as severely limiting the magic power inside the hall.

That night you saw some girl slip inside Josh's room. You also heard two people speaking about doing something, but you don't know who they were.

Next morning Sam was found dead in Simon's room. Simon said he had come in late the previous night and slept on the couch to avoid disturbing her and found her dead in the morning. Etrax says the story holds up, though of course he can't say for sure. The time of death was between 1 and 3 am. Simon went to bed about 2.

Further rooting around has revealed that the Count's son, Rudolphus died some while ago in a lab accident at university. A diary indicates that someone called Malcolm doesn't believe it was an accident, though the authorities said otherwise.

Josh has said that Simon was not good enough to date Sam, though we are not sure why he thinks this. He was comforted by Harrow.

The third chapter ends with Simon, Harrow and Josh arguing and Simon saying he knows Josh was having an affair.

The fourth chapter: Facts start to emerge, and there is another murder...

Etrax breaks up the argument, and Yu questions Harrow about what he said, but he refuses to say anything more.

Etrax finds out that Samantha was two months pregnant, but we later discover that Simon was away on business with his father about that time.

In the corridor you pass Josh, who seems flustered, and then walk passed Harrow's room, to see him dropping some paper into the fireplace.

In the dining room Yu has a conversation with Malcolm and Alice. Malcolm insists there was foul play involved with Rudolphuses (Cronos' son) death. He says one of the potions was the wrong color. Alice disagrees, but Malcolm says he saw it with his own eyes.

Before dinner there is a scream, and everyone runs upstairs, where a maid has found Harrow dead, a knife through his heart.

Chapter 5. Where some interesting information comes to light.

Yu, Etrax and Veerch examine the murder scene, and Veerch says the murder was done without the aid of magic. Yu finds what appears to be a blackmail note from Harrow to Josh in the fireplace, though key parts are burnt.

Etrax points out there is no evidence of a struggle, whoever killed Harrow probably knew him, and took him by suprise.

Yu questions Josh, but Josh says nothing. Next he goes to Bridgette, but meets her father, the Major, who discloses that Josh (and presumably Sam) is an orphan.

Yu speaks to Bridgette who says Harrow was always hanging around them.

Veerch says the woman in the picture is Matilda, who used to work as a maid for the Count, and hints and scandal. She won't say more, but tells Yu to speak to Streeve, Alice's father.

Streeve gets upset when Yu shows him the picture, and divulges that he was married to Matilda before she worked for the Count. He also accuses the Count of being responsible for Matilda's death, though he says no more.

Yu returns to Etrax, and they ponder their next move...

Yu’s Notes:
Count Cronos is trapped in Limbo, though no one knows why.
His son, Rudolpohus was killed not too long ago in a lab accident, though Malcolm seems to think it there was more to it than that, he is the only one who thinks this.
Samantha was killed by some powerful death magic, despite the fact the Shield around the hall makes it very hard for the use of spells. Who could have managed such a feat? No one seems to have magic that powerful, unless the witch perhaps?
Sam was pregnant, two months, yet Simon was away on business about that time.
Simon seemed to dislike Harrow, not sure why.
The Butler has provided an old picture from about 20 years ago of the Count with a woman and two babies.

Harrow seems to have been blackmailing Josh for some reason.
Josh (and presumably Sam) were orphans, though they don’t/didn’t know this.
Was Bridgette the one Yu saw slip into Josh’s room that night? Is she lying because she is embarrassed? Or was it someone else Yu saw? If so, who?
Despite the blackmail, Harrow seems to have been quite close to Josh.
The woman in the picture was called Matilda. She seems to have worked here for the Count some years ago, but there was a scandal. She was married to Streeve before that, and he blames the Count for her death in some way.

The Cast.

I will attempt to find some pictures at some point! However, for now here are the people in the Manor. Please note, the information below is what has been discovered in the course of the story. As things progress I will add more.

Joshua: (Josh) Student at the Harkright Academy of magic. Twin brother to Samantha (Sam). Approx 20 years old. Slim, tall and good looking.
He in engaged to be married to Bridgette, daughter of Major Esper.
Joshua considers Simon to be 'not good enough' for Sam for some reason.
Father is Avanor, though you haven't seen them talking together.

Samantha: (Sam) Tall and very pretty, twin sister to Josh. Her boyfriend is Simon.
Sam is killed at the end of the second chapter by some form of death magic.

Simon Grately: Boyfriend to Sam. Son of a wealthy merchant. Sandy haired, about 21 years old. Seems to dislike Joshua.

Bridgette: Pretty blond haired girl of about 19. Daughter of the Major and engaged to Joshua. The Major has forbidden them to have 'intimate relations' before their marriage.

Major Esper: Father of Bridgette. A fierce looking man.

Veerch: Witch. Has a manservant Rupert. Sour disposition.

Rupert: Veerch's manservant. Large man.

Avanor: Introduced himself to you at dinner as the father of Josh and Sam. Seems to be a bit of a womanizer, or used to be when younger anyway. Doesn't seem too close to Josh and Sam.

Alice: Girl of about 25 in a green dress at dinner. Was with her father. An old slim man in a dark jacket. No further details.

Streeve. Alice's father. Was married to 'Matilda' (woman in a photo) some twenty something years ago.

Harrow: Friend of Josh. Seems to be close to Josh. Comforting him after the death of Sam and taken his side against Simon. Wore a blue suit at dinner and spoke to Sam and the others.
Killed at the end of the th chapter.

Malcolm: Stern young man in a dark suit. A friend of Rudolphus and the Cronos family he has said.

Raith: Young woman, newly married to Heath.

Heath: Newly married to Raith.

The Butler: An old man. Seems to move about quietly.

Lord Cronos: Dead for about three months. A powerful Wizard who seemed to be able to predict something of his problems after death, and arranged for the gathering. Lost his son not so long ago. Wife died about 20 years ago.

Rudolphus: Died recently in a school lab accident. The authorities seem to think it was an accident, though someone called Malcolm seems to think otherwise.

*Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Last edited by Chinaren on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:12 pm; edited 23 times in total
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prologue. Mysterious invitation.

The rain came down. Hard. Hitting the window like a million tiny bullets. I sucked deeply on my cigarette, watching the smoke rise in the dull light. It was my last one, and unless I got a break real quick, I would be paying Fat Tony an unpleasant fee.

My prayers were answered in an unexpected way. There was a sudden rap on the door.

“That you Marty?” I shouted, “I told ya already! I ‘aint got no rent for yer!”

The door swung open. It sure as hell was not Marty. A dame, and a looker, legs stretched up, way up. A figure that would make number eight jealous above those stems, and long flowing red hair to top it off.

“Mr. Dick? Private Dick?” she said. Her voice was low, sultry, like a hot summer night in the deep south, redolent of…

The quill paused over the parchment, hovering in the air as Etrax Rigel scratched his chin. “Redolent of what?” he said to himself. “Musky…something. What is musky? YU!”

His assistant walked through the door, an envelope in his hand. “Are you still working on that novel Mr. Rigel?” Yu asked. “How many times have you started it now? Ten, eleven?”

“It needs to be just right. These fantasy stories are not easy to write you know. What smells musky? And what do you have there?”

“Just arrived by private messenger.” Said Yu, putting the envelope down onto the desk.

Etrax picked it up and examined it. “Mmm, Mr. Etrax Rigel.” He flipped it over. “No return address. How interesting.” He examined the wax seal on the back. It was smudged and he couldn’t make anything out. Shrugging he broke the seal and pulled out a single piece of paper.

“What is it?” asked Yu, sitting down on a chair and leaning forward.

“You, and one guest, are invited to Cronos Manor this weekend” read Etrax. “Your services will be required. Your regular fee will be paid, plus a bonus of 1,000 Crowns if you can bring about a successful resolution.” Etrax turned the sheet over. “That’s it.”

“A successful resolution to what?” Yu asked.

“It doesn’t say. It does say will be required though, which implies…”

“Something that hasn’t happened yet?”

“Exactly Yu. And as most of my cases involve involuntary death…”

“Someone is going to be killed?”

“I am pleased to see you paying attention.” Etrax looked up and waved a hand. A large book sailed over from the bookshelf and landed in his hand. He opened it with a grunt.

“Cronos… Cronos…” his finger slid down the page. “Here we are. Cronos Manor, owned, not surprisingly, by the Cronos family. Old money, made filthy rich by importing various rare artifacts plundered from the Far East.”

He slammed the tome shut with a bang and a cloud of dust. “Pack your bags Yu. We are going to Cronos Manor. It’s going to be murder.”

Last edited by Chinaren on Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good chinaren.

Not enough stories to fill your time, then? Wink
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not enough stories to fill your time, then?

ROFL!!

I am on a roll today! Shocked

I had this idea last night and spent most of the day working it out. It's gonna be a murder mystery. Better get your magnifying glass out! Shocked
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh nice Chinny Very Happy

Murder mystery with magic - consider me hooked, although you'll have to work hard as I don't tend to do well with mysteries. Very Happy

Quick little typo:

Quote:
Cronos Manor, owned, not surprisingly, but the Cronos family

I'm looking forward to Chapter 1

Happy Writing Very Happy
Lordy
Citizen

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sighs heavily*

as if you didn't have neough stories already on your plate.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 1. Cronos Manor.

Cronos Manor was old. Very old. It had been in the Cronos family for generations, and as time had gone by their wealth had simply grown. Still, they had maintained a relatively low profile in recent times, and their name was not well known to the common masses. This information your employer, the esteemed Etrax Rigel, had informed you as you had waited outside the transportation depot. He had been as excited as you had ever seen him. This could be a big case.

Etrax had paid the fare and the both of you had stepped into the ring. An incantation by the duty wizards and now you find yourself outside the gates of the hall.

It is bigger than you expected, you admit to yourself as you walk up to the large iron portals. An elderly man, dressed in a smart suit stands behind them.

“Mr Rigel and assistant” says your employer, and the man nods. The gates creak open slowly, stopping when there is just enough room for you to pass through. You do so and enter the large and opulent grounds. Gravel scrunches underfoot as you follow the two down the long path towards the main building.

The gates clang shut behind, and you have an ominous feeling. Your intuition tells you that before you leave this place, heinous deeds will have been done, and dark secrets revealed. You shiver.

The main door is large, made of oak with an enormous brass doorknocker shaped like a face. It winks at you as you approach and you sigh. Even in these large mansions you can’t get away from stupid novelty items.

The elderly man ignores the face and pushes the door open. Inside is a large hall, lit by lamps at regular intervals. A huge, decorative chandelier hangs high up above you, and a large curved staircase runs up to the next floor.

“Nice little place” says Etrax, dropping his bag and flexing his shoulder.

“Your rooms are this way, if you would sir.” The butler gestures and walks on, towards the staircase.
Etrax picks up the bag and follows, as do you, climbing the stairs slowly, eyes looking around all the time.

The walls are lined with portraits, classic style, with many a happy family scene no doubt. Here is one from the Persian wars, a knight hacking apart heathens with a large sword. Another shows a similar man, this time putting paid to a red dragon.

“All family portraits” says the butler, noticing you gaze at one particularly impressive figure, dressed in purple robes. “That one is Great Great Grandfather Cronos, he was a mage of the 8th Dimension. It is said he conjured up the Lord of the Seventh Hell one night, and ordered him to bring him the head of the person who was plotting to kill him. The demon brought him the head of his son.” The butler shakes his head and tuts. “It made a terrible mess on the carpet I was told. This way now.”

You wander off down a corridor to the right, and up another set of stairs.

“Are we the only guests?” asks Etrax.

“There are others of course” the butler replies, opening a door to a chamber. “This shall be your room,” gesturing at you. “Dinner will be served at 6.45 promptly. Formal dress is expected, and suitable attire has been provided in the room.”

He turns to Etrax. “Your room is across the hall sir, just here” and he opens a door directly opposite yours.

“Just one other thing.” Etrax says. “Who exactly are we guests of?”

“That will be the master sir, Count Cronos.”

“When will we see the Count?” you ask.

“Oh, I don’t really know sir. He is dead you see. Have a pleasant rest, remember, dinner is at 6.45 in the main hall.” He turns and walks away, and you and Etrax exchange glances.

“See you at 6.45 then” he says, and enters his room. You do likewise.

The room is huge, with a giant four poster bed to sleep in. A bathing chamber is off to one side, with an enormous bathtub. Another room turns out to be a closet, filled with a variety of amazing garments.

You decide to have a bath and prepare your things.

It is 6.30 when Etrax knocks on the door. “Are you ready?” he asks.

You nod, just having finished putting on what you hope is a suitable outfit. You both head down the corridor, just as a handsome young man is exiting from his room several door along. He is tall and of slim build with shoulder length hair. He wears a dark cloak which you admit suits him well.

“Hello” he says to you. “Are you guests here too?”

“That we are. My name is Etrax Rigel, and this is my assistant, Yu.”

“Well, nice to meet you both. My name is Joshua, just call me Josh.”

“What do you do Josh?” asks your employer, straight on the job.

“Oh, I am a student at Harkright academy of magical sciences. I am studying Artifact Creation.”

“Impressive” says Etrax, and the three of you walk down the hallway again.

“Do you know what all this is about?” asks Josh as you walk down towards dinner.

“You don’t know?” you ask.

“I wouldn’t ask if I did now, would I? My sister, my fiancé and my sister’s boyfriend all received invitations.”

“Do you know Count Cronos then?” Etrax asks, as you go down the stairs, towards the sound of voices.

“er, never met him” says Josh.

Your conversation is cut short as you enter the dining hall. It is filled with people already, most standing around in small groups talking.

Nearby is a girl, as tall as Josh and extremely pretty. She is talking to a sandy haired lad of about the same age. When she sees Josh she smiles and walks over to him. You can’t help notice the frown on the face of the other boy, wiped off when he notices you watching.

“Josh! You made it!” the girl says and takes his hands in hers.

Josh turns to you. “Gentlemen, this is my delightful sister, Samantha. We are twins. Sam, this is Etrax Rigel and, er? Yu?”

You nod.

“So nice to meet you sirs” says the girl.

“Aren’t you going to introduce me then?” says the sandy haired boy, walking up behind Sam and putting an arm around her protectively.

“Of course my dear!” she says. “Everyone, this is my boyfriend, Simon Grately.

“From Grately supplies?” says Etrax.

“He is my father sir” the boy replies, giving a slight bow.

“Where is your fiancé Joshua?” Simon asks, rather pointedly you think.

Josh looks around. “I had hoped she would be here. They put us in separate rooms.” He frowns for a second.

Etrax and you look around. You see a girl in a green dress, possible a few years older than Josh and Sam, talking to a slim older man in a dark jacket. “Is that her?” you ask.

“What? Oh no, wait! There she is!” He points to a pretty girl, dressed in white, with her blond hair bundled up in intricate patterns. She is talking to a young man in a rather colorful blue suit.

“Oh! Look! There is Harrow!” says Sam.

“So he is! What is he doing here? Excuse me gentlemen,” Josh hurries over to the two.

You are suddenly bumped into by someone, and you turn around to see an old lady, dressed in black and leaning heavily on a cane.

“Be careful you!” she says, caustically, pushing past.

“My apologies Ms. Er..?”

“Name’s Veerch, now get out of my way or I will turn you into a toad!” She pushes past you. “Rupert! Get me a drink! Red wine, sweet! You know how I like it!”

A large bald man in a totally unsuitable tweed jacket follows her. “At once milady” he says, in a low baritone voice. He winks at you as he walks past.

You turn back to your little party, but just as you do a gong rings. “Please be seated for dinner!” says the old butler, appearing from nowhere.

You look at Etrax who motions you to one side. “Let’s find out more about our guests. Split up. Go and sit with someone. I will sit elsewhere.”

You look around. The game has begun. You have already met Josh and his sister, as well as Sam’s boyfriend, perhaps you should continue talking to one of them? Over by the fire is Josh, now linking arms with his fiancé Bridgette, both speaking to the other lad in the garish blue suit, what was his name? Oh yes, Harrow. On the other hand there is the girl in the green dress with the older man, or the fearsome witch, Veerch and her manservant, even now helping her into a chair at the giant table.

You notice another couple walk in, hand in hand and gazing at each other lovingly. As you wander to the table a large man, in his fifties at least, with a huge moustache and a fierce gleam in his eye strolls in. You overhear Bridgette exclaim “Daddy's here too!”

There seems to be more chairs left unfilled, but for now these are the only other guests present. You look around and make a choice…

>>>>>>
The party has started. You are Yu! If you hadn’t guessed already.

Pay attention now, there will be clues scattered about, along with many other facts that may or may not be relevant to the case. “What case?” you ask.

Ah, well, be patient and wait!

In the meantime, you have your instructions. Who shall you sit next to? And is there anything you wish to say?

Hit that REPLY button and let me know…

NB. I have never done anything like this before, so I hope it works out okay!
<<<<<<

Last edited by Chinaren on Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Lordy
Citizen

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say to try one of the other guests you haven't spoken to yet, maybe they know why they're here?
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice start China. I'd say lets try sitting by the witch and seeing if she'll tell us anything useful. If not lets try whoever stits on the other side of us.
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to talk to Simon Grately. There's a definite vibe going on between him and Josh, and I want to know why.

Let the boss handle the father - he's bound to be at the centre of the web somehow, but the kids are where the tension is. We have to try to identify the victim, see if we can spot the murder before it happens.

Nice chapter Chinny. Enjoyable murder-mystery, although the many characters will probably have my head spinning in no time Very Happy
jnmrcs
Builder

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Lordy said before, sit with someone who you haven't talk already.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Topics: 17

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I have a feeling that this is like Christie's Ten Little Indians? Wink

Oh, and F5 Lordy, and jnmrcs. It's best we meet all our suspects.

Samadhi Traveler 2005 Nano Wrimo winner (53,019 words)

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenwing wrote:
Why do I have a feeling that this is like Christie's Ten Little Indians? Wink

I have never read a Murder mystery in my life, the closest I have come is a TV episode of Ms Marple. Hence this really is new territory for me.

Thanks for the comments so far all. This one needs to be very interactive. I already know* the plot, so it is down to you guys to solve it! Wink

*Subject to change as time goes on of course.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten Little Indians is a Ms. Marple mystery I believe. I love Agatha Christie's Ms. Marple, her wit has always amused me.

-Confucius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenwing wrote:
Ten Little Indians is a Ms. Marple mystery I believe. I love Agatha Christie's Ms. Marple, her wit has always amused me.

I'm pretty sure Ten Little Indians didn't actually have Ms. Marple in it.

I do greatly enjoy Ms. Marple mystries though Very Happy

You might find Mrs. Pollifax interesting too (if you haven't already read them).
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight into Chapter 1 - excellent Very Happy

I agree that we should leave "Daddy" to the boss, but otherwise we should be looking to meet new people.

Head toward the girl in the green dress.

Happy Writing Smile
Mother Goose
Respected Citizen

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, somebody new, either the girl in green or Harrow. Since he knows Josh and Sam, maybe Harrow could give us some feel about the "tensions".
K-Roq

Items

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice prologue and first chapter- immediately drew me in :biggrin:

I agree with Shady, I wanna know what's up with Simon
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Ten Little Indians didn't actually have Ms. Marple in it.

You might find Mrs. Pollifax interesting too (if you haven't already read them).

You're right, she isn't in it. I tend to mix-up Christie's novels.

I will certainly look into the books.

-Confucius
Araex

Items

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... Cronos - time, services will be required - future, the Cronos' can see into the future... great stuff so far! I agree with the general consensus - what's bugging boyfriend Simon?
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Topics: 18

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh daddy! What an absolutely spiffing suit you have on! It really makes you seem big and manly!"

"Why of course my dear; all the better to get under your..."
We must stop this now! Surprised Yu can go talk to 'Daddy' and our employer can go talk to the lovely (er) Ms. Bridgitte.

*holds breath* Shocked

Thesopholis - A Noir Sci-Fi Story - Chapter 8 is up! Read it here
The End of the Voyage - Chapter 9
Shady the Furry Goblin! [Demon's, Satan and Slobadan Milosevic!] - Chapter 3
The Quest for the Legendary Rubber-Duckie! - Chapter 3
One Last Bullet.... Chapter 3
Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to the witch...the old battleaxe must have something good to share with you...

Barring that, go talk to the two you havn't yet met...

"Music makes you braver."
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then. Stuck a poll up with the suggested options.

Happy sleuthing! Smile
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very inetresting votes...
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for the new people we haven't met yet.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted.

-Confucius
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Chapter 2. Dinner and Death. Reply with quote

Chapter 2. Dinner and Death.

You think you should go and speak to someone you have not met yet, and so you eye the young couple who have just entered. You have just decided to sit next to them when another two figures enter the room.

One is a young man, perhaps a year or two older than Josh and Sam. He is dressed in somber black garments, more suitable for a funeral than a party you think. His black hair is plastered down around his head, as though he has just come in from the rain. He scans the room and his gaze rests a moment on Alice before passing on. He looks your way and sees you looking, whereupon he quickly sits down at a nearby seat, next to the witch, who ignores him.

The other figure is an older man, perhaps in his fifties. He is nevertheless dressed in a fashionable suit and looks quite the playboy. He affects a monocle over his left eye which gives his face a slightly lopsided squint. The man looks around the room, noting the people present. He waves at both Josh and Sam briefly. They wave back casually, though they are both engaged in conversation with others, so do no more.

Finding himself alone the man looks around and sees you. He smiles and walks over.

“Good day sir. I don’t believe I have made your acquaintance. I find myself without a ladyfriend, and barring the pleasure of the female sex I wonder if I may sit by yourself for company? I enjoy meeting new people.”

You decide this man may be a good source of information and pull up a seat next to him. On your other side the young couple sit down, though they seem to be involved in each other, and ignore you.

“Mmm, an interesting crowd here” says the man, who holds out a hand. “Name’s Avanor, I am the ah, father of those two handsome youths over there,” and he gestures to Josh and Sam.

You introduce yourself. “My name is Yu, I am in the employ of Etrax Rigel, whom you can see seated next to that young lady in the Green dress.”

“Ah, yes, Alice. And is that her father next to her? Remarkable, he keeps very much to himself these days I hear. I haven’t seen either for some time, though I believe she used to attend the same school as my two.”

You look around again and notice the large seat at the head of the table is empty. Even as you wonder about that the butler appears, and stands next to the seat.

“Lord and Ladies” he says. “It does my old eyes good to see the Manor hall once again filled with life. It has stood lonely and dreary too long, steeped in the sorrow that has befallen the Cronos household these past years. If you note, the chair of the Count is empty.” He gestures to the seat next to him, and then above and behind, at a painting of a fearsome looking man in Deep Blue robes.

“The portrait you are looking at is the Late Count Cronos. He was a master wizard, the latest in a long line of such. Alas, old age claims us all, and the Count was laid to rest barely three months past. However, his spirit is a strong one, and he talks to us yet from beyond the grave. He was the one who gathered you all together here.”

The butler looks around at the rapt audience. “I have no answers as to why you have been invited, but I have faith in my master’s Sight. I am sure that his great mind has a purpose, though I am not privy to his plan.”

The butler snaps his fingers. “Here and now though, I am happy to announce that dinner is served.” He bows and withdraws as servants pass through the hall bearing platters of food.

“Well, what about that eh?” Avanor says, as a maid puts some soup infront of you. “I heard the old Count had died recently.”

“Does he not have an heir?” you ask, sampling the soup. It is excellent.

“Ah, he did, he did. And therein lies the latest in the tale of woe for this household.” He sips at his soup and smacks his lips in appreciation.

“Please, I am unacquainted with the story, if you would mind?”

“Of course, though in truth there is nothing that enthralling to relate. The Count’s wife died some, let me see, 19 years ago? About that. I lose track. Some say suicide brought on by depression. There was all sorts of talk at the time, many said the Count was to blame.”

“How so?” you say, finishing off your soup, and watching the servants bring in the main course.

“He was a womanizer, so they say anyway. Scandal and gossip followed him about, though no one ever caught him out. Why thank you my dear!” He says to a young maid who lays out a plate infront of him. He looks at her wistfully as she moves away and then turns back to you. “Of course, some of us share that vice, just the old dog was better at it than most, eh?” He winks at you.

You look around the room as you receive your dinner. An excellent spread, with roast swan, potatoes served in a variety of fashions, vegetables and a medley of sauces and side dishes. You feel full just looking at it.

“So, what about the heir then?” You say after some minutes digging into your meal.

“Well, Lord Cronos was left with one son when his wife passed on. All was going well until recently. The boy, a Rudolphus by name, was in his final year at Harkright, studying potions I believe, when there was a terrible accident in the casting chamber, and he was killed.” He shakes his head as he shovels a roast potato into his mouth.

You are about to respond when a sudden cold wind blows through the dining hall. The lights dim, the windows that were open slam shut, and a whispering sound can be heard.

“What’s going on?” you hear Bridgette ask, huddling close to Josh, who puts an arm around her as he looks about.

“Ha! I sense a spirit!” old Veerch says, waving a fork about. “There!” She points to the head of the table, towards the empty chair.

You, and all the other guests look at the chair. Indeed, a misty figure can be seen. As you watch it becomes more solid, and you can soon see it bears an uncanny resemblance to the portrait on the wall behind it.

“Count Cronos!” gasps the girl in green, Alice as Avanor has named her.

The figure moves and an ethereal voice echoes around the chamber. “Indeed, it is I! Count Cronos, or at least the ghost of he.”

The girl next to you lets out a small scream, and grabs her man friend’s arm.

“You have nothing to fear from me” says the ghost, drifting up above the table.

“Why have you come spirit?” asks the witch.

“I arranged this gathering” it replies.

You hear Etrax mutter under his breath. “Aha. Now we cut to the chase.”

“I am trapped,” continues the ghost, “in limbo, unable to proceed further.”

“Why? What is it you want?” Etrax asks.

“A pertinent question my good man” says the ghost. “I have a problem as yet unresolved. Until the situation is rectified I am stuck in this gray place, barred from ascending to my heavenly reward.”

Etrax lifted a finger and started to ask the obvious question, but the Late Count interrupted him.

“Before you ask, I cannot tell you. I am constrained by limitations I am not allowed to explain. Needless to say, in my mortal body I foresaw something of this situation. My divinations indicated that you,” he indicated the seated guests, “brought to this place and time, would resolve the situation.”

The ghost drifts over the table, then turns towards the portrait that bears his likeness. He is starting to fade you notice.

“Until I am able to ascend, none of you will be able to leave the grounds. A pre-prepared set of spells has been cast. You are now sealed in with a 15th level Onogramatic Seal. It has the unfortunate side-effect of limiting spell-casting abilities, so I am afraid you will have to rely on your wits more than your magic…”

The figure has nearly completely disappeared now, and his voice becomes faint.

“I wish to leave this dreary place…” his voice fades away.

As he disappears the lights once more illuminate. At once Bridgette’s father stands up and strides purposely towards the window. “Blast the man!” he says, “ he was a menace in life, now he is a menace in death!” He flings the window open and peers out. Several other guests join him, yourself included.

Outside, around the garden, you can just make out a hazy blue glow surrounding the grounds and stretching overhead, disappearing into the night.

“Curses!” says the Major. “It’s a shield alright! We won’t be able to pass that easily.” He looked around. “I don’t suppose any of you are master wizards?”

You shake your head. Whilst you have some magical ability, major spells are out of your league, as they are most people. Only the more powerful wizards can cast the more serious magics.

Everyone drifts back to the table, and discussion remains muted as people ponder what they have just seen.

“So, the story is beginning to unfold” says Avanor, once everyone is seated and have resumed their dinner, muttering amongst themselves.

“That was really the Count?” you say.

“I see no reason for the shade to lie.” Avanor ruminates as he looks about the table. “Mmm, interesting.”

“What is it you ask?”

“Oh, what? No nothing, just an old mans’ fancy I think. Ah! Look, her is desert.”

You frown, but note the comment as you look up.

“Oh! It’s treacle sponge and ice-cream” says the young lady next to you. She notices you and smiles. “Hello, sorry for ignoring you. It’s just that Heath and I are recently married. My name is Raith.”

“A pleasure to meet you” you say. Indeed, she is very pretty. You turn your attention back to the desert, which has just been delivered by a slightly older servant. A stern looking woman with gray hair. She serves Avanor, who whispers something to her. You can’t hear her response, but Avanor looks a wistful as she walks away.

“I take it there is no lady wife?” You ask, as tactfully as you dare.

“Ah, no. An unfortunate misunderstanding left us parted some years ago” he answers.

You nod, but don’t press him further on this, and the talk turns away to the recent events in the colonies for the rest of the meal, and you can think of no way of getting it back on track.

Eventually the talk winds down. “Well,” you say stretching. “I think it is time to retire for the night.” You push your chair back and bid the Avanor goodnight. Heath and Raith have already departed for their room. Etrax stands up and walks over to you before you leave.

“I will stay up a little more, and maybe wander around later” he says.

You nod. “Maybe I will also take a stroll, though I am not sure certain I wish to with ghosts wandering around the place.” You eye the portrait of the Count, which seems to watch you.

Etrax nods and wishes you goodnight before heading back to the table. You start up the stairs and into your room where you change out of your dinner robes and into a purple evening gown.

You rest on the huge bed for a short while, laying there thinking about what you have seen today. Sleep doesn’t come though, and after a while you glance at the clock. It is near midnight.

Making a sudden decision you stand up and walk to the door. Slowly you open it and peer out into the dimly lit corridor beyond. On a whim you slip out, closing the door behind you.

The corridor is a typical stately home one, wide and well carpeted. Paintings line the walls, and various objects d’art are located in strategic niches. Here a vase taken from the Mongol Empire, here a suit of armor from the holy crusades.

A movement catches your eye from further down the hallway. You slip behind the suit of armor, into the deep shadow, peering out carefully. A figure, it seems to be female, though you can only make out a vague silhouette in the dark, slips towards a door. After a moment you decided it is Josh’s room.

The figure taps gently on the door twice and then opens it carefully, slipping into the room quickly.

‘Ho ho’ you think. It seems that Bridgette is after a little night entertainment then! You move forward silently and pause outside the door for a moment. A girlish giggle can dimly be heard, and you smile to yourself. ‘Ah, youth.”

Not wishing to eavesdrop further you move further along, until you are once again near the stairs to the dining room. Moving around the upper balcony you can just make out several figures still at the dinner table. Etrax is one, drinking ale at that steady pace you know he can maintain all day if needed, seeming to drink a lot, but really imbibing only enough to look that way. He is currently listening to Simon Grately, though you can’t hear what is being said.

Another figure moves through the room, but you can’t see who it is clearly, it looks like the Major. Your eyes are drawn back to the portrait of the Count, and you shudder suddenly. ‘Enough lurking for one night’ you think, and slip quietly back up the hallway.

As you pass the armor you hear low voices coming the other way. For reasons you are not sure about, you duck into a dark niche in the wall, behind a statue of a sphinx.

“…don’t like it!” you can hear one voice muttering softly. You are fairly sure it is a male voice, but you can’t be sure, or make out who it is.

“You don’t have to! You don’t want your little secret to slip out now do you? Make sure you…” Another voice, barely more than a whisper as two shadowy figures pass your hiding place. You draw back so they don’t see you, but this has the unfortunate side effect of reducing your view of the mysterious couple and they pass quickly into the gloom.

You peer out after them, but they have disappeared into the dark. You are about to follow them, but think better of it. The hall suddenly seems very dark and cold, and the face of the dead Count is still fresh in your mind. You return to your room, lock the door and retire to bed.

>>

Morning, and you are about to head out of your room for breakfast when the shouting starts. Quickly tying your shoelace you head out of the door to see what the fuss is.

Further up the hall Josh and Simon are screaming and trying to attack each other. Heath and the boy you saw dressed in black at dinner are holding them back with some difficulty. You rush over to help, just as Etrax and the Witch also arrive on the scene.

“What is going on here?” says your employer, as you grab Josh and he steps between the two.

Josh stutters and points at Simon, seemingly unable to speak. Both are white as sheets.

Simon doesn’t say anything either, but merely points back into his room. You peer in, as do the others.

There, lying on the double bed is Samantha. The bed covers are thrown back to reveal the still figure, dressed in a night gown. Her eyes stare at the ceiling.

She is plainly dead.

“He killed my sister” screams Josh, tears running down his face! “Let me at him! I will kill him!”

Simon staggers back. “I didn’t do it! I came back late drunk, and slept on the couch! I found her like that in the morning! I didn’t do it!!”

You look at both of them and then turn to Etrax.

“What now?” you say.

>>>>>>

*screams*

It’s murder most foul! (That’s a surprise eh?)

Young Sam, Josh’s brother and Simon’s sweetheart lies slain in some fashion on their chamber bed!

What to do next?

<<<<<<

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NB. Sorry about the fast turnover of this chapter, but I am going away for a few days, perhaps from tomorrow, so wanted to get this ep up.

I will also do a run down of the characters, so you can see who is who a little easier.
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was unexpected... *cough cough* Wink

Good chapter China, and I think I can see where you are heading with this.

I think you should pull Josh aside and get his exact testimony of events, then do the same with Simon. Then have the obligatory meeting in the dining hall to ascertain where everyone was 'at the time of the murder' (though it will all obviously be a pack of filthy lies, but lies can often help discern motive and, eventually, the truth).

This should turn out to be quite a fun romp Mr. China. Are you planning on doing it quickly, like Doggie and Arms? Very Happy

*holds breath* Shocked

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see this getting horribly complicated Shocked

OK, do we have magic that could ascertain the time of death? Or forensics, for that matter. We need to search the room for clues before we take statements. Evidence is transitory, the people are here until all of this is resolved.

In the meantime, though, one of the team (Etrax or Yu), should keep the people together and stop them from talking with each other. Given time, they could back each others' stories up with well-rehearsed lies. Until we're ready to question them, that should be avoided.

Good stuff China Very Happy
Solomon Birch
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! No! If this is to be a proper murder mystery, then it must be plauged by incompetence, lying, and preferably, furthur murders! Then we have a stroke of genius, find some all-important clue, and hey-presto! Solved! Very Happy

Green Eyes - Chapter 5
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm keep them appart and search for evidance.
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can start searching for evidence but later you will need to do as Solomon said.

But I'm with Solomon on the more murder. So maybe it's better wait to see more death and if possible wait until just you and your employer are alive Razz then all is solved Shocked
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear not guys. I have only just begun!!

Lots of juice left in this one yet. Mwahahahaha!

I just realised there may not be a lot of suggestions for a poll here. However, if you have any pertinent questions to ask anyone, please suggest.
Ravenwing
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely have the style for writing a mystery, China. Now this is reminding me the old black and white movie House on Haunted Hill. Quite liked that movie, actually.

Anyways, I think we need to know more about the heir, and what happened after his death. That tale was a bit cut off when the Count appeared. And also we need to know more about Sam's murder. Question Josh and Simon seperately, and it is more likely we're Yu is going to get a more reasonable explanation.

-Confucius
jnmrcs
Builder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also check what Etrax Rigel have. Or wait until he make some investigations too and then compare information.
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much else to suggest then, other than doing all of the above.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Ravagerrr

Items

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yu should team up with her employer, and perhaps others she feels the best about to uncover evidence. Not openly of course, just question the least likely first to see what their experiences of that night were, what they know about the relation between victim and the "Host" as it were(the dead mage who invited us all). She should be trying to determine how the mage must have believed they could release him from his undeath. This seems to me to be more valuable than the murder but understanding the motive behind the murder would be a probable key. Its possible NOBODY did it, noone alive anyhow. Anyways, start with least likely, as we all know that the most likely is probably the least likely in truth. Start with the witch, someone who probably had nothing to do with it.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good chapter Chinny Smile

Quick note to Rav - I'm fairly sure Yu is male :

Quote:
“Your room sir,” gesturing at you

I like Stoat's thoughts of gathering what clues we can - the people aren't going anywhere, but clues could easily 'vanish'.

I'd like to see some experimentation from us and our master to see what powers we still have so we can consider possibilities.

Quote:
You shake your head. Whilst you have some magical ability, major spells are out of your league, as they are most people. Only the more powerful wizards can cast the more serious magics.

What about our master - how powerful is he? He didn't seem to answer the Major's questions, so I guess not a Master Wizard, but maybe he was just keeping that information to himself?

I think Rav makes a good point about trying to discover what causes a ghost to be held back - by the shocked gasps from around the table, even in this world of commonplace magic it's hardly normal to have a ghost around.

Maybe ask to see the deceased Count's old bedroom/study/private library?

Keep it coming Chinaren.

Happy Writing Very Happy
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quick note to Rav - I'm fairly sure Yu is male :

Quote:
“Your room sir,” gesturing at you

Damn, that slipped by. I was hoping to keep 'yu' gender neutral, as far as the story is concerned. Then it can be the gender of the reader. I will go and fix it now.

As for magic, well, note that the shield conveniently reduces any magical abilities present. Just so we don't get any ideas about a quick spell to solve everything!

Etrax has a few specialist spells up his sleeve, again, reduced in power due to the shield. However, such spells as finding out what time the deed (approx) should be possible, assuming counter-magics weren't cast to prevent such. Wink Spells to check if someone is lying may be okay, but they can depend upon the person being questioned, and any defensive magics they may have. I can't make it too easy for you!

Quote:
Maybe ask to see the deceased Count's old bedroom/study/private library?

Good idea. This is the sort of thing I am after here. Ideas on how to proceed!
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: