Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
War of the Kindreds: Chapter 7-Part 1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: War of the Kindreds: Chapter 7-Part 1 Reply with quote

DragonHelm: The First Part of the DragonSword Triology OR

War of the Kindreds: Being the First part, as found recorded on three scrolls of Andoria.

In a world when all nations thought war was over, when all believed that the final pawn of darkness had been destroyed, there was a brief of time of deceptive peace. The Dark Mage Maril had been chained, limited by powers greater than they had, and all thought that it was enough.

They were wrong.

Evil had not been conquered, merely subdued, and now it was willing to wait it's time until the Dark Mage could find another pawn to deceive. All it would take was one disgruntled, power hungry, or confused individual and he would be back in business.

Until then, he knew he could wait and chuckle at the chains in which he was bound...it was just a matter of time, and this time he would be ready.

Meanwhile, on the greater globe of the earth, the Dark Mages worked quietly, making their subtly while the nations moved above them unaware of their presence.

Like the nations however, they made one crucial mistake, not everyone was deceived, and one of the nations would be ready for the plots the evil mage made.

This nation was the Eroki nation, and it's ruler at the time was Terain Eroki. Terain Eroki had everything ready, magic prepared, his sword polished and sharpened. Terain knew every plan the demons made and he was ready for them, but he died, leaving the legendary DragonSword without an heir...

Last edited by dinranwen on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:38 am; edited 15 times in total
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you, by any chance, read the Fonivar tapestry trilogy? It's quite good.

The basis is cool, but as an added plot twist, let's have the world rely more on tchnology then magic when the guy comes free, and throw in a giant chicken.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Morzan

Items

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good Din. I like it alot and I hope to see more soon.

Oh, and a question. This will tie into the battle that tied into SoE. Thats a bit of a stupid question but Im hopeing to know more about that battle.

Anyway I realy hope to see more.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yay, I'm going to love seeing how Ergos handles our SoE characters...

"Music makes you braver."
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great prologue, din. I'm sorry I've only just got round to reading it - but I'm really looking forward to the rest of it. It should give me a great insight inot the world around which sword of ergos was/is based. Wink

Solus.

chapter 6 of DESTINY - a super old SG which won't continue...but there are a full 6 chapters if you feel like reading something with no ending!
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Materweaver: A giant chicken, eh? *chuckles* We'll see...as for the rest...the world on which this is based as already been created so I can't change much...not that I want to anyway. Besides, Technology to Magic - - -Magic to Technology- - -Magic technology- - -techological Magic is so over rated and over used anyway.

For general knowledge: Cree isn't a world based on magic like most worlds, it's not super smart, it's not overly complicated...Cree is more like a normal world stuck somewhere in the middle ages that just happens to have people who can use magic and has magical creatures in it. The rule of Creeian magic is complicated but basically comes down to this: All magic (and magical creatures) must exist on something or cost something to be used, and all magic must be scientfically explainable or at least follow a minuim level of logic that a child can explain simply and easily without question. (For those of you who wish to know, a small child of Cree when asked to explain magic or how magic works just replies "Because it does, that's all.")

As for the rest of You: I'm glad to see your interested, and Yes I planned this story to explain and explore things I couldn't possibly explore or explain in SoE.

The First Chapter/Prelude will be released soon....until then *smiles* I'll be in the nearest corner.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I get the feeling I've just been insulted, but I'll take it as a complement.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/

Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterweaver wrote:
throw in a giant chicken.

What is it with you a giant chickens?
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prelude

Prelude

The thunderous war of dragons fighting filled the air as a dark drake and a blue dragoness fought across the sky.

On the back of the black drake, a dark figure covered completely with web as if shadows held a glittering sword that seemed to seep with an inky blackness that had a power all its own.

Riding high and proud on the blue-scaled air dragoness was Terain Eroki, a human man who had the metallic silver wings, silver scales, talons, and sharp canine teeth with a face that looked a mixture of a dragon and human. Glittering on this man's silver toned hair was the golden crown of the Eroki kings and in his hands held high was the legendary DragonSword.

Below them mage's clothed in shades of grey were desperately trying to hold the Dark Mage's spells in check only helped by the many dragon kin who stood behind them their scaled eyes closed as they purred the spells in accordance’s to the mage's in front of them.

Finally, the mage's work was finished, and the Dark Mage known only a Maril screamed as he felt his power being tied up in an elaborate knot. Crying victory, the eroki King kicked his dragon forward sweeping the sword forward as the sword itself began to cast its spell.

The Mage's drake began to fall as the spell took affect and the mage found himself falling towards the ground only to be stopped from having a fatal fall by the very enemies whom he fought.

Instead, Maril felt himself being gently lowered to the ground where he found himself surrounded with mage's holding swords and a few dragons holding chains.

Maril laughed, "Why didn't you kill me, you cowards!"

Terain aboard his blue dragoness swept down to the ground standing proud over his fallen foe, but it was not he who spoke but the DragonSword her ancient voice booming aloud for all to hear, "Because the destinies forbade us too. Instead we are to chain you much to our pity."

Maril found himself being bond and led to a high and strong tower that stood nearby, but as he was pushed in, he only laughed as the mage's began to cast spells to make this holding place secure screaming madly, "I cannot be bond, I cannot be killed. All you are doing is delaying me that is all. You'll see, You'll see. All I have to do is find a willing servant, and then I will rise again. I laugh at my chains...laugh do you hear me?"

His screams haunted the group forever, but only one person took them seriously, Terain Eroki and when he returned to his nation, he began to prepare for the greatest war mankind or eroki kind had ever seen...

Last edited by dinranwen on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:58 am; edited 4 times in total
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is seriously kewl!
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*curtesies* Thank you. I think.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*still eagerly awaiting the bulk of the story* I'm going to start calling Weaver that.

Back on topic though, can't wait to see what happens when Ergos begins dealing with us...

dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hold your breath...but the first chapter should be realised within a day or so...hopefully.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not Soily...I don't suffocate myself for entertainment. Still if it makes things go faster...*debates holding breath*

Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related subject, I visualized Rai as looking like the dragon at the top of this forum.

I also know where you got the dragon.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not TINY! I'm more along the lines of Araina...Rain knows who I'm talking about. And remember...Gold dragons cannot be assassins...sheesh!

Sorry din, I'm off topic again...forgive me.

solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your sig pic meant to represent Rath, Rai?

Ok, I won't hold my breath, but I will still be waiting eagerly for the first chappy Very Happy.

~Solus

chapter 6 of DESTINY - a super old SG which won't continue...but there are a full 6 chapters if you feel like reading something with no ending!
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could...but it actually reps Kyro Rath's Grandmother more. It's just me.

Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd look good in gold.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. I'm not good. I'm evil. Thus I am red and let's drop the subject alright? I has nothing to do with Din's story...which I'm still awaiting the first chappy of by the way.

Last edited by Kalanna Rai on Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[color=dark blue]Chapter One: The Hall of the Eroki Kings.[/color]

Chapter One: The Hall of the Eroki Kings.

Sunlight filtered in between great pillars of stone that lined a great hall. At its end on top a serious of steps sat a great throne carved in the form of a dragon with its wings outspread it wide neck and watchful eyes gazing upon the centuries of kings that had ruled in this ancient hall.

On the lower steps, his brow creased with worry sat an older eroki; his once silver hair turned a dull grey with age and anxiety. At his feet, tons of books were strung along the floor marking what years of research had brought him. In his belt, the blue stone of the DragonSword glittered with its own light but even so, it seemed to echo his mood.

Steps echoed throughout the hall causing the elder Terain Eroki to raise his head to greet who walked into his head with a weary smile.

Standing before his king without a bow, a man, actually an eroki, with a balding head and wings with more holes than actually wings dressed in a long robe and a pair of slacks just as mouth eaten as his wings. Sitting next to his king, the old man looked at the books with hope, “Did you find it sire?”

“No, Kyle, I didn’t.” Terain said standing to pace in front of the steps, “There’s not a single way to contradict what the destinies told us. Not a dag blasted thing.”

“Sire,” said Kyle, “I am only your ambassador, but after all these years I like to think I am your friend. So can I offer you my advice as a friend?”

Turning sadly to the man who had served him faithfully for a hundred years, a rare smile crossed his wrinkled face, “You are my friend, don’t kid yourself on that part. But don’t bother with the advice I know what you would say.”

“I know I’ve said it a thousand times sires, but perhaps you will listen to reason this time. What the destinies decree cannot be contradicted, that is what all the books say. Besides it’s not like we don’t have more pressing business on our hands!”

“I don’t care what the books say! I have to find a way.” Terain growled sending a loose floor stone flying across the floor. “Don’t you realize what’s at stack here? According to the books, this man, this Dark Mage, in just a few hundred years will gain all his powers back! Moreover, according to legend, it will be enough to send Cree into the next millennial when he comes knocking! No, No! There has to be a way. There just has too.”

Kyle sighed, after five hundred years of life not a bad life span for an Eroki, he had seen more than just a few things, and compared to him, Terain was still a young buck. “Listen sire. I am not saying that there is not a way. All I’m saying is what the Destinies Say is what the destinies decree, and there is no loop hole big enough to stop it from happening.”

“What are you saying?” Terain said his steel eyes narrowing at his advisor.

“I’m saying that there is a way. A slim way, but still there is a way.” Kyle said rising with a creak of the bones.

“How?” came the eager reply.

Kyle sighed his wrinkled head shaking at the eagerness of the young. “Your problem is in your solution, and that’s all I’m saying and bless me, I hope I’m not stricken by the Destinies for it.”

“You’re saying that I can find a way to defeat Mage Maril by listening to what the Destinies say?” Terain said raising a skeptical scaly eyebrow, “How does that help anything?”

Now it was Kyle’s turn to shake his head and raise an eyebrow, “Do I have to explain everything to you?” Sighing deeply, he spread his hands wide in gesture of helpless, “The Destinies said that those who gathered against Mage Maril before them could not do anything beyond bonding him until the day his power fully returns and then, and only then could he be destroyed, but not by the men who originally came to them for aid.”

“So…you’re saying we have to find someone who was not at the counsel to destroy this fell mage?”

Kyle nodded his sage head, “Exactly. We cannot do anything, we can only wait and hope that someone will find a way to defeat fate itself. And in the meantime, we wait.”

“No, in the meantime. We plan for war. That crooked mage plans on finding someone to carry his power from afar while he sits and laughs at our chains.”

“Sire, both you and I know that you have done everything you can to plan for a war that only we expect.” Kyle said sighing in frustration, “You have laid the best plans any King can and have left so many written instructions that the General’s are starting to complain. We can do no more.”

“Then what can we do? Wait.” Terain said raising both his eyebrows, “I am man of war, Kyle. It does me no good to sit here and wait. Isn’t there anything more I can do?”

“No. There is not. But perhaps instead of focusing on this war of yours we can do something else.”

“Such as?”

“Such as finding an heir for the throne.”

“I am an old man Kyle; do you seriously think I can produce an heir in my old age?”

Kyle laughed but from the way he laughed you could tell he did not really mean it. “No. Nevertheless, certainly we could make plans for who should come next. There are many deserving eroki princes from older lines that we could consider….”

“Yes, and every one of them I do not know, and every one of them would smile at my face while I consider them for the throne. How could I honestly choose wisely amidst them?”

Kyle shrugged giving up on the argument that he had lost countless times. “There are others things we can do then.” Walking over to a large map on the eastern wall of the great hall, Kyle gestured towards the map. “We don’t have the best relations with most of our immediate neighbors; however, Andoria somewhere south of us has always been friendly to our causes. Andoria also has the closest border to the Western Waste, a place that our research shows the most demonic activity. If anybody could help us by providing a watchful eye, it would be them. I would suggest that we take a trip to the Andorian capital and propose a temporary alliance do to the fears you have.”

“Yes, but the problem would be convincing them that my fears are real and not illusionary.”

“It is a problem sire, but it could be risk we should at least take for sake of hope. The only other option is sitting here and reviewing the potential heirs for the throne,” Kyle said smiling softly.

~ ~ ~

The world moves at a fast pace and at such times even the way a pebble falls can effect the determination of the times. Therefore, throughout the world, the northern wind joined that of the east and the various pictures depict actions, which could perhaps affect our future…

A small child with purple eyes breaths its first cry.

A young man with a pair of sheaths reaps wheat like a solider.

A red dragon sneaks into the house of a wealthy man.

A small elven child silences its cries at the horrible realization that its mother has died.

Pair of centaurs joins hands in marriage moving into a small city full of others of their kind.

A blue dragon egg is laid by a proud golden female who purrs with joy.

A young eroki man colored blue pulls a book of a library shelf.

A King and Queen smile at each other across a banquet table in the afar of country of Andoria.

A ship flying the symbol of a red wagon wheel in a field of white picks up new crewmembers from a port in the south.

A tree grows tall in a lonely field in between five older trees.

Last edited by dinranwen on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, Din. Can't wait for more.

*Holds breath* No, wait...*realises that that is a bad idea and resorts to..um...holding breath?*
Wink

~Solus.

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me being sneaky...eh? Sounds like a plan.

dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, just realized I forgot to post a DP, so here it is:

What should Terain do?

Countinue planning for war
Pay a visit to Andoria
Search for likely Heirs
Or perhaps something else enterally?

Opinions, corrections, comments, critizism are welcome.

I know this is kind of starting slow but the background is important to what is to come. I also hope my partners in crime don't mind me taking liberty of where they were 25-30 years ago.

I hope everyone enjoy what I have provided so far...Smile
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with you making up Ariana's past, and I'll try and find some edits now if you want. I'm in that kind of mood Very Happy.

~Solus.

*edit*Ok, back again. Now, corrections...
I'll just do spelling for now.

Quote:
Not a dag blasted thing

* Dang? Dam?

Quote:
Don’t you realize what’s at stack here

*realise
*stake

Quote:
Terian said raising a skeptical scaly eyebrow

*sceptical

Quote:
We don’t have the best relations with most of our immediate neighbors; however

*neighbours

Quote:
A small elven child silences its cries at the horrible realization that its mother has died.

*realisation

~ done for now

Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLAN FOR WAR!

BloodBloodBloodBlood!

Okay, masculenity out.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Morzan

Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say look for a likely heir so that he can have a companion follow him into battle. That would be cool, an apprentice.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed if war is coming and the king is old it stands to reason he would look for an heir in order to train that person. Otherwise you've got an untried king ruling during the single greatest conflict Cree has known...not a good plan.

dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in a request to Lordy for a poll. It should be up soon. *smiles*
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is up.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said other. Nobody's suggested running yet, so I will.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running Where MW? And more importantly Why? Terian has been the king for approxamitly the last 75 years, why would he run to, and more importantly where would he run to?

The suggestion is appreciated, however, it hardly seems approriate considering the situation.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just general Rincewind running.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Chapter will be up in a few days, and I hope you enjoy it tremendously.
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 2: Heir Non-Apparent

Terain Eroki sighed as surveyed the large crowd gathered at the great mask. All around him Eroki were dressed elegant in elaborate costumes hiding their true faces beneath mask of sequins, feathers, and cloth.

The Mask the eroki wore served to disguise whom they wore, but a simple pull of the string would reveal the persons real face.

Terain only wished the mask people wore in real life were only so easy to reveal.

This whole ball was farce, and the only purpose it had served so far was the exact opposite of that it was originally intended to do.

In a way, this ball marked the defeat of Terain and the end of a long debate with a much older, and a much wiser Kyle.

Some months ago, Kyle and he had argued whether to search for likely heirs or to take some other course of action. Kyle, in his usual stubbornness, had insisted that Terain search for heirs.

In the end, Terain had agreed to try to pick the heir of the throne amidst the many Eroki, but with a catch.

Terain agreed to consider the likely heir amidst the candidates but only if he did not have to declare the heir apparent immediately. Instead, Terain decided to review the candidates and then take on a few of them as an apprentice. Out of those apprentices, he would choose one to be the heir. The rest would be rewarded with a generalship or such non-sense. He chosen to train an candidate as an apprentice rather declare a heir right off that way he would be able to teach these young men how to be a true king and what to expect in the kingship.

At first the task had seemed impossible, between the flattery of princes, the boast of feats done, and a few who seemed to have something against talking, Terain had not known whom to choose. How could he choose between heirs who showed one face to him, but might another behind their masks?

The solution had been in the question. Terain had arranged this mast, so that the likely heirs would be disguised among the many eroki of the immediate court. The problem remained that as long as he remained seated in the throne in the traditional custom of Radnor Alizarin Terrain Eroki, Elizabeth’s famous mate, everyone would flatter the one they thought was King.

Standing to excuse himself, Terain waited for the respectful bows to end as he walked through the ballroom down the hall to enact part one of his genius plan for this annoying little problem.

The plan was that King Terain would change his custom to something a lower noble of the court would wear to a mask, while Kyle decked out in the King’s traditional custom, with only minimum changes so that only an expert at such things would be able to tell the difference between him and the king, would take his place on the Ballroom floor.

So dressed liked knight of the ancient days of Eroki, Terain stepped on to the ballroom floor no one the wiser to the false masked king who began to dance with a baroness nearby. Slipping along the floor, Terain began to casually talk to the participates of the ball, looking for the princes to the throne of Eroki hoping that in the presence of someone less their equal these heirs would show their true faces and all the faults that with them.

Laughing loudly at the joke a steel gray eroki dressed as a Mountain Drake, Terain smiled widely as his first victim turned to look at him.

“It is often with little wit and high flattery that a knight approached the mountain Drake hoping that he would not be the drake’s lunch,” The prince said sarcastically as his entourage tittered, “So perhaps you should not laugh so loudly my dear knight.”

“Ah, but perhaps you should not tell such a flat joke so your companions would not have laugh so loudly to disguise a pun so badly told.” Terain said to the raised eyebrow of the prince. Terain knew who this man was even if the man did not know him.

The masked mountain Drake before him was one Pharr Skyflame, whose father had been the second eldest nephew to King Raul who had ruled two kings before Terain. As such, Pharr was the closest heir to the throne, but he was also the oldest at a ripe 78 years. It was true that eroki often lived 150 years in their native county, sometimes 200 if they were lucky, but still 78 was an old age for a King to take the throne. Terain had been hesitant to invite Pharr at all, but Kyle insisted that Pharr’s right to the throne had to be at least acknowledged.

“Who are your ancestors, for you to say such a bold thing?” Pharr asked in the traditional manner of the masks. As it was impolite to ask who a person was, the eroki asked who the ancestors was and if the eroki who asked knew anything of history, they could with luck figure out who they were facing beneath all those feathers.

“Many eroki could I claim for ancestors, yet none would call me son, for I am descended from Wendell the great by three degrees.” Terain said picking his most distant and perhaps least known ancestor among his line. Wendell, who was not widely known for famous acts were famous in his family for been the craziest and wittiest of them all, having been Terrain’s great-great uncle on his mother’s side.

As he thought, Pharr was put off by his answer looking shortly puzzled. “Who are your ancestors, as it is only polite for me to ask what I have already answered?”

Instantly, Pharr swelled his chest puffing broadly, “I am descended from Yuri the Skyburner and Annul the Skyrake, the fires of which still burn in the mountains of my fathers land.”

“‘Just as I thought,” Terain murmured to himself, “He picked his most famous ancestors, the vain fool. Any idiot would know who Pharr was if they knew anything of history.”

“I am sorry, my prince,” Terain said aloud bowing low, “Excuse my sharp wit, I did not know that I was talking to a man of such degree.”

Pharr, if it was possibly bloated more largely, “It is well, that you didn’t know, or I would have been forced to cut of your tongue for subornation. Now be gone before I lose my patient.”

Bowing once more, Terain muttered, “Yes, my prince,” before skittering off as the laughter of the prince and his friends echoed in his ears. Loosing no time, it was not long before Terain stood in the midst of a group of young men and young women who surrounded his next victim.

In the middle of the group, which was composed mostly of ladies sighing and tittering at the handsomeness of the speaker, stood a dark green winged eroki with brown hair dressed as Marl Treesinger, the famous earth eroki-mage? The prince was easily recognizable as his mask was hanging by its string so that the eroki’s handsome features were not disguised in the least.

“Do you know what I did next…?” the eroki Terain knew as Malone Birchbark, said continuing his story in which he defeated a dark Dragon that had been spying around his kingdom.

Terain, who had already heard the story a thousand and one times, was ready with an answer he hoped would get him noticed by the prince.

“You took a large tree from the ground with your bare hands and shoved it through the dragon like a spit.”

Malone deflated a little bit before turning Terain's way his sharp green eyes sparkling with hidden wit, “Oh, you’ve heard it before have you?” Everyone laughed at the Prince whose face was the perfect picture of a man whose punch line to his favorite joke had been taken by another.

“No, it just what I heard a prince named Idyll had done,” Terain said naming Malone’s father who had done the trick before Malone had ever thought of it. This is probably why the prince had thought of it. Malone’s stories were true, for the most part, and all of them showed a bravery that almost counted for stupidity. Malone was brave, it was true, but he was also young.

Malone was the son of Idyll Birchbark great nephew to the daughter of Greg son of Princess Aphid youngest daughter to King Brail who had ruled five generations before Terain. Malone was perhaps the most distant heir of the throne. Terain considered him above most the candidates however, because despite being a little empty headed, vain in a different way that Pharr and have the courage that should be counted as foolishness, Malone was brave. Terain thought that with a little training and perhaps a scar across the face Malone loved so much, Malone could perhaps be shaped into a good king.

“He did, but I bet he didn’t light it aflame like a did!” Malone crowed to the pleasure of one of the ladies whom he winked at.

Terain knew a dismal when he heard one, so he walked away searching for the next prince. The next couple of princes all had different reactions than that of Pharr and Malone. A few plain ignored him looking past him like a fly on the wall, one insulted him, one threw a cup at his head with a drunk roar causing Terain to loose time in the clamor, but all of them had very little words to say even to answer a traditional question to a lesser noble and none of them asked the question in return.

The next conversation in fact he head was with the drunk who had thrown the cup at his head, who despite being dressed in the custom of a fire drake, was revealed as Larrikin Stonehedge whose temper was famous throughout Yond (as the Eroki nation was called amidst the natives).

Waddling up to him with his large bulk, Larrikin Stonehedge grunted in the way of hello as he stuck out his hand to Terain. “Look, I just wanted to apologize for throwing a cup at your head. I had too much to drink and I wasn’t’ thinking straight.”

Shaking Larkin’s hand reluctantly, Terain sighed, “It’s alright, Prince Larrikin. It was an honest mistake, and from the way you were aiming you weren’t really aiming to hit me at all, just trying to get rid of some noise that was giving you a headache.”

Larrikin had the gall to look surprised, “You know me.”

“I know any man whose has a temper of yours can only answer to two names either Prince Larrikin Stonehedge or Thor, the ancient drake whose fiery temper was his death.”

Larrikin laughed weakly, giving Terain a small smile, “I guess that is true. But no hard feelings right?”

“None.” Terain said Larrikin left him to contemplate Larkin’s personality.

Larrikin Stonehedge’s father had been second cousin to the last King’s youngest sister, and thus wasn’t quite a distant heir as Malone but nowhere close to being as close as Pharr. Larrikin was a decent chap but his temper worried Terain. A man with such a temper could make a dangerous king, especially if Larrikin kept drinking the way he did. Nevertheless, if Terain could knock the drink out of him, Terain knew he would have a humble man who knew he had a temper but made the best attempts to put in the right place.

It was a hopeless task, trying to choose the best heir out of men who all seemed so wrong to rule.

A blue eroki with black hair dressed as shield bearer to King Uren, who had ruled briefly three kings before Terain, was approaching however, and Terain forced his face into a smile.

“Greetings young man. How may I be of service of you?”

“I was just coming to warn you that it probably be best if you just accept Larkin’s apology and be done with it, but you seemed to deal with yonder fireball quite well.”

Terain smiled, and grunted, “I have handled worse than a prince with a temper in my many days.”

The eroki in turned smiled, “Yes, I guess a knight of the ancient order of the Dragon would more experience in who to avoid a fight than a simple shield bearer.”

The eroki’s answer gave Terain pause for thought, who was this man who so easily recognize the armor Terain wore?

“It seems to me that you are a new face, who are you are ancestors son?”

“My ancestors are none other than Elizabeth and Radnor, finer ancestors I can not claim.”

Terain smiled, “A worthy answer from a worthy knight. From what mountain did you spring?” Terain asked in the traditional manner of the masks. When a man could not figure out the ancestors of the person he questioned, the two would often go into an elaborate riddle game each trying to outwit the other.

“I have sprung from the mountain of Lori, who was bathed in Elizabeth’s blood. I was imagined in the valley of Nol, when Elizabeth found her lost hope. I was laid in the nest of feathers in the sparklingly caves, and was hatched in those same caverns who call Runic their name.”

“By what wind did meet your wings on first flight?”

“By the south, by the east, by the north, but never the west.”

“In fire, water, earth, or sky did first shedding take place?”

“On earth and water, near fire, under sky did my scales first fall?”

“By what deed done did ancestors claim their pride?”

“By bearing shield before their captain in face of foe.”

“In what garden did your father pick a rose?”

“In the glade, in the forest, borne by feet as fleets as a horse to the place where the rose sang a song beneath the three quarter moon did my father pick his first and only rose.”

Terain shook his head, “I can not name you, and memory fails me as to what to ask next.”

“Ah but I can name you.” The Eroki said in a whisper so low only Terain could hear it, “You better go back before you are missed my King.”

The Eroki bowed, and then he was gone leaving Terain staring confused after him. How did the he know? How did he know?

~ ~ ~

The Ball proceeded without a hitch as planned, and the next day Terain once again sat in his private study his head bowed as he studied the names on the list of the eroki who were legal heirs to the throne.

Kyle was nowhere in sight, as Terain with a swift assured pen crossed off several names on the list.

The only heirs left on the list when he was done were three. Pharr, Malone, and Larrikin.

Out of all the princes he had talked to, those three despite their faults had been the only ones to talk to him in return. Out of the heirs, it was only those three that Terain had any idea of their real character. Despite their faults, Terain knew that he would rather have an eroki who he knew well as his heir than an Eroki he knew not at all.

One thing bugged him though, whom had the Eroki been who had known his name? Who?

Part of Terain wanted to search high and low for this eroki, because if that Eroki were a likely candidate to the throne, there would be no doubt in his mind what he would do.

However, he was expect to make an declaration this evening at the Grand Dinner he was hosting, and Terain knew he had to make a decision and soon.

Last edited by dinranwen on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
Morzan

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delay I do say.

I say this because most likely Larrikan will lose his temper in his outrage and go into a frenzy. Things could get 'sticky' but depending on how everyone reacts could decide the better condidate.

Also, if they wind up killing eachother in a bizzare turn of events that is all the more reason to look for the mysterious shield bearing Eroki.
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the Eroki. Even if he isn't a likely heir to the throne, he should still chose him to be an apprentice. Should cause a stir anyhow Wink

~Solus

Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the Eroki, but don't announce him as anybody important.

test the waters first.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the eroki who is my heir was the only eroki to see past my mask. Let them chew on that.

dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in request for a poll, it should be up in a day or so. I am also going to go be incredibly stupid and try to put this through the review process. The third chapter may therefore be delayed based on the results of this review process.
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: