Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Nothing's Ever Easy Chapter 4 Continued: Beating
Goto page Previous  1, 2

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like the idea of an old friend being the contact, but instead of Serek being sent to kill this man...what if he is Wilfredd's spy in high places, say the court of another kingdom? Only now the spy is in hot water and needs someone to get him out double-quick, and that's where Serek comes in...

"Music makes you braver."
Smudger
Citizen

Topics: 4

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Ok...So we have:

Target is a friend or someone Serek knows yet he doesn't realise
Kill another assasin that has bothered Wilfredd in the past.
Recieve a mission to kil a friend that leads to a long drawn out chase.
Friend is a spy for Wilfredd who is in danger of being found out a needs help in escaping.
Smudger
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Poll is up IFians, vote away! The poll will be over in a week or as soon as a clear winner is chosen. Thanks everyone Very Happy
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Smudger, I like the story. The characters seem...what you would expect of them. High intrigue and assasination, that always works. If you add more detail and description about the setting and characters, it would be even better. Apparently I picked a losing option, but I await the next chapter.
Smudger
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Thank you D, your advice is duly noted. Very Happy , one more day of polling then writing chapter 4 mega quick.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Smudge, I don't how you do it, but you put your story together very nicely. I think I'm with D to a point about description, but don't get too involved. The briskness of the action is part of the allure.

Looks like the best option won! Smile

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Smudger
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

"No killing? Just help an agent in trouble?" Serek asked slightly perturbed.

"This is in a general sense, once you have successfully met up with the agent in question you will follow her orders," Wilfredd revealed.

"Her?" Serek blurted out.

"Yes, her. Alanra Borik, a spy of great beuty and ability. Do not be fulled by her innocent appearance, she is one of the deadliest women I have ever met, and I've met a lot of dangerous people."

Serek nodded. Well this is a first. Taking orders off of a woman. He wasn't sexist, just he was unused to thinking of them as a master over him. He nodded to Wilfredd then began to leave, when suddenly he remembered something Wilfredd had said to him.

"Aren't I meant to get training? In a longer weapon and against multiple foes?" Serek enquired.

"This is a test, a test of your raw ability. If you survive then you shall get the training I promised. Now go to Evelin and save Alanra."

On this note Serek left...

Well, you had to leave Lause sometime in your life. No I didn't, Lause was good enough for me. I'm a city kid at heart, all these open spaces make me feel...Vulnerable really. Look at all these places someone could lay an ambush here. Why couldn't it have been accessible by boat? I could of lived staying on a boat.

Serek shifted nervously in his saddle. And there's the bloody horse too. Stupid beast. Could be I can't ride either is the problem as well. Why did I get myself involved in all this crap! Because the pay is good and you can retire at the age of thirty five easily. Still, why do I need to travel!

Serek continued, swaying in the saddle like a drunk trying to walk, cursing Wilfredd and himself for getting him in this mess. He didn't take in his beautiful surroundings, the woods that signalled the border between Evelin and Lause, two competetive nations striving to come out on top of the West's mercantile empire. In some areas Lause dominated in others Evelin. Both fought over every available market like their cities lives depended on it. Lately however a couple of other city states had begun making moves on rising to compete with the rivals. This had forced the two to sign a precarious trade agreement to see off these young powers. Now, trade flowed smoothly from city to city. The neighbouring villages had grown significantly into towns and were beginning to verge on cities but they would always be in the shadow of their patron rulers. However Serek was always wary, he didn't realise he was in one of the most ideaylic places around.

Woods, magnificent meandering streams, river beds with a rainbow of rocks, all different colours. Any man would be mesmarised and at peace in these surroundings. But not Serek. He was worried. He was close to the meeting point with Alanra, and he didn't know what to expect. She was meant to be beautiful and deadly. Damn, why couldn't it have been something simple like kill a merchant?

Serek rounded a bend to see a scene of carnage. Seven dead men lay spawled around a women who stood, cleaning her blade on one of the fallen. She looked up and saw Serek. Oh, this must be her.

"The merchant owes me for my services," the silken smooth voice stated.

"And the merchant always pays his debts, especially to beauties," with that Serek bowed, as Wilfredd had tiold him to say.

"So your the assasin which is meant to help me. You look...weak."

Serek blinked at this. Weak. Serek had memories of his harsh childhood in thr Thugs Causeway, of the older stronger children picking on the smaller easily scared children like Serek. After that period of his hellish life he had vowed to never be bullied again. This is where he started to learn to kill. He had been getting pushed around by a butcher's apprentice, he had grabbed the boy's butcher knife from his pocket and stabbed him with it. From then on Serek was left alone...

"Are you slow as well as weak, I said follow me," the woman, Alanra strode over to her horse and mounted up.

Serek scowled. I'm not slow. Or weak...

"So what am I meant to be doing to help you? And I thought we were trying to leave Evelin, not go back in," Serek asked after two hours of silence.

"You? Help, well, I thought I would be getting a big brutish killer that could protect me while I infiltrate the higher circles of Evelin. In stead Wilfredd sends me a dandy that doesn't look to have a cruel bone in his body," Alanra answered.

She has a tongue like a viper! " thanks for those kind words mistress, your confidence in me fills me with hope of a good relationship between us," Serek hit back with, his tone oozing sarcasm.

"Don't get smart with me...what is your name?" Alanra finally asked.

"Serek."

"Serek...do you have a last name Serek?"

"No, I do not have the privilege of having a last name," Serek spat these words out. In Lause to possess a last name you must buy the right from the officials. It was a sign of honour, class and social standing. It was the beginning of a life of balls, society groups and the privileges of upper class life.

"I'm a killer from Thugs Causeway, we fought for food, we scavenged clothing, we grouped together to defend what we had managed to take against more opportunistic groups. Life was hard, you mock me and say I'm weak woman, well, I may appear weak and not able to do much but I have one quality that has managed to make me what I am, a survivor. Without patience I would never have made it out of that life," Serek ended his tirade with a deep breath and rode ahead...

"I am Alanra Borik, of the Borik family in Lause. We own many of the cafes in the Eastern district. As a woman I was just meant to get married, not take part in the business. My mother thought differently and taught me to be a spy of great ability, so great that I left the family to join the services of one of the most enigmatic and ruthless masters in Lause. Wilfredd," Alanra hitout with suddenly while they were sitting round the campfire.

"An aristocrat turned spy. How nice," Serek replied.

"My job here was to infiltrate the Evelin upper class and find out the trading deals of the four richest family, transfer them to Wilfredd so he could suck the wealth out of the four prominant families and cause havoc within Evelin," Alanra revealed.

"Did you?" Serek asked, interested now.

"Yes, but there has been problems with two in particular. I have managed to infiltrate the Quince family, spice traders mainly, and the Arsin family, lumberers who have went into ship building for the crown of Evelin. Each I done by going for their sons, however, the other two are far more difficult. The Egrics have no sons, I cannot get in without going for a job for them, taking me away from the others. Also with the Wrens, they know me from my time within the Quince, as their spy system is just as good as Wilfredd's, they sent the killers back there to eliminate my influence on the Quince sons."

Serek understood why he was here now. He had to inflitrate the other two. And protect Alanra too.

What one do you want me to deal with first?"

Options:

Infiltrate the Egric family by turning the shabby Serek into a handsome dandy?

Strike the Wren family spy network and eliminate the threat to Alanra?
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he should strike at the spy network, try to get the heat off his charge while making sure that none of her work is undone. Plus once the Wren are off balance it's the perfect chance to infaltrate them.

"Music makes you braver."
Polokin
Citizen

Topics: 0
Location: It seems that I'm not physically capable of visiting a forum... damnit!

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rai, if you leave the Wrens for too long, they might have an influence on the Quinces.
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice chapter, Smudger. I think I wouldn't plunge right into a battle with a spy network right away. The Edrics, I think, are a more viable option, where Serek can practice his skills before taking a larger challenge. So far your co-spy has been able to take care of things alone, I think she'll be alright with your help until you decide to take on the spy network. Go to the Edrics then.
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the others here, go for the spy network.
Smudger
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Well, the poll is now up...Be a tie, be a tie!!! Very Happy , thank you everyone for reading and commenting!

Smudger
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deal with the spies, whether you're ready or not. It's no good getting into an undercover situation with people out to kill you. Alanra Borik's identity and mission have been discovered. She's useless as a spy until the ones who know are killed.

As a spy, she's certainly not very subtle. Killing in the middle of the road in broad daylight, and being seen doing it. She should feel ashamed that Serek saw her. I don't trust her spying skills, so it's better to go on a spy vs. spy mission. Sounds more interesting too.

If she knows any of the counter-spies, a simple assassination of a few members should help. Setting a trap for them would seem more efficient though.

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say strike the spy network with hate and malice...or just craziness. Your call.
Smudger
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

"The Wrens are the greater threat to our mission in Evelin. I shall eliminate key members of their spy network to free you up to do what needs to be done. The Egrics are second to the Wrens. I'll need names..."

Serek sat in the dingy room he had rented out. I may be working for a rich merchant but he really doesn't treat us too well. Serek started tapping his foot in irritation. Alanra was taking so long finding this information out. Serek was beginning to get worried. You should've went with her, the Wrens tried to kill her you damned fool, why wouldn't they try again?

Serek sat up at this thought and began to pace around the room. I'm an idiot. He started for the door but it swung open to reveal Alanra. She was in a skimpy dress, all the rage among the noble girls. Serek tried to turn his eyes away from her heaving bosom and volumptous legs. God I need a pass time apart from killing. Or a good woman.

"Finished looking?" a disapproving Alanra asked.

"Eh, yeah. Wren contacts?" Serek turned the awkward topic around as quick as he could.

"Only got one name. Willub. A drunkard down at the Hangman's Harbour. He is meant to have a lot of information on the high families. Get him, get the Wren names."

"And why can't you get him?" Serek wondered aloud.

"Because I'm being followed you simpleton!" Alanra snapped.

"Touchy today aren't you..." Serek hit back as he left for the Harbour.

He made his way down the harbour, becoming a part of the crowd and shifting and dodging the frequent swell and fast hands trying to get his knives and purse. Seems Evelin isn't any different from Lause. Same thieves, pickpockets and thugs as us. But ours are better. Serek took a fierce pride in Lause and the criminal world it had. Being born in it was what held him in its gory thraul. Never would a place hold his interest like Thugs Causeway, the constant danger, fast action and unique characters within it never ceased to amaze him. Evelin was beginning to lose its shine on Serek.

I wish I was home. Serek made his way to one of the Harbour inns. He was bound to be in one of them, he was a drunk. Serek entered the first and it went quiet as soon as he put one foot in the domain. Crap. He went to the bar and pointed at what he wanted. Not a good idea coming out and revealing he's a foreigner straight away. He drank, and drank, and drank, until he was dizzy from it all. He hustled the bartender over to him, wanting to try and do the task that had been given to him.

"Bartender, do you know a Willub? He's meant to be a drunk," Serek slurred out.

The bartender stiffened at this and nodded to a corner. Serek turned around dumbly to see what he was indicating. Three brawny saiors were getting to their feet and advancing menacingly on him. Serek staggered to his feet and fumbled for his knives. He flicked them into his hands as the sailors went for cudgels at their belts. Just as Serek was going to lunge a burst of light and a sinking darkness overwhelmed him...The last thing he heard was..."Throw him out back, beat him, then tell Willub he has hunters after him...."

Serek awoke, retching. He felt as if he was on fire. Everything hurt. He glanced at his body. Bloody, beaten mess, sticking out at odd angles. Now he was covered in his own vomit too. Nothing's ever easy he thought, as he struggled to his knees. A fresh wave of nausea swept through him and darkness beckoned like an old friend....

"Wake up padre, wake up," said a heavily accented voice and a shaking hand on his shoulder.

Serek groaned. Leave me be.

"Wake up, lying here just leaves you open for the dogs to take, and amigo, dogs in Evelin are vicious," harried the panicking voice.

I will not be eaten by dogs again! Serek struggled to his knees battling against a fresh wave of sickness. A darkened hand lifted him to his feet. Strong. He glanced dizzily up at the man helping him. A Crosi. He smiled nervously at the beaten assasin.

"Padre we need to leave, boss expects me any time now," said the Crosi as he turned and dragged the slow moving Serek away from the cesspool he had been left in.

Crosi were a little race from the Soither cities beyond the desert. They flooded into Western ports all over and soon they were an integral part of the harbour life of every mercantile city. They were hard little durable men who could toil with the best workers. The thing that separated the Crosi from the Cretcha were that the Crosi worked on docks only, they hated being compared to servants or underlings. They were a proud race that bowed to no one.

Serek struggled along with the Crosi until he finally blacked out again...

Serek sat in the dingy apartment awaiting the Crosi. Dammit I don't even know the guys name. Serek winced as another wave of pain washed over him. Well they are gonna know me now for sure when I finally find Willub. I need some sort of plan. To say the least, this one ain't gonna be easy...

Options:

The Crosi convienently walks in and Serek is struck by a stroke of genius

Serek decides "oh screw it" and takes off after the illusive Willub

Serek gets all dolled up as a beggar, drunk, down on luck sailor, something barlike and tries to find further info on Willub.

Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going for the third option. You need more info on this guy unless he wants to end up like the last attempt.
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going into a disguise seems to be the best option. Walking in bluntly isn't a good idea, as has already been proven.
Polokin
Citizen

Location: It seems that I'm not physically capable of visiting a forum... damnit!

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Fenris (strange, I'm usually disagreeing with him...) and D. Blending in and getting information would be the easiest way to get information.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Serek tried to turn his eyes away from her heaving bosom and volumptous legs

Nice line!

Good episode Smudgy. I like your hero, he flounders about really well. Wink

I agree with the others. Diguise, as a harlot. hehe. Laughing
Polokin
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone already knew you would like that line china Wink
Smudger
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Harlot you say Mr Mayor? Harlot it is if that poll wins Wink . Thanks all for reading, now for the voting!

Items

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polokin wrote:
I agree with Fenris (strange, I'm usually disagreeing with him...) and D. Blending in and getting information would be the easiest way to get information.

Its the end of the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *sobs uncontrollably* I need weeeeeeed to comfort me!!!!!

....yes....anyways, I voted!

What should the hurt Serek do?
The Crosi convienently walks in and Serek is struck by a stroke of genius
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Serek decides "oh screw it" and takes off after the illusive Willub
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Serek gets all dolled up as a beggar, drunk, down on luck sailor, something barlike and tries to find further info on Willub.
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 7
Who Voted: Chinaren, Kalanna Rai, Key, Lilith, LordoftheNight, Polokin

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: