Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Demise: NSS- The End
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rune
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DP's in this are referred to as Damage Points. Points in the story where damage is taken.

As per the first paragraph of the first post:

..."I shall write this story using a limited number of characters. At the end of most 'chapters' at least one character will receive 'damage' (determined by a vote from the readers).
Each character has limited health.
Once health reaches 0 the character dies and leaves the story for good. "...

You're all voting on who you want to have take damage at this Damage Point. This is not damage from each other, mind you, as you all possess various abilities which would modify it beyond or below a chapters given damage (Roger would hit you for more than the DP's damage would do, for example). This is Environmental Damage. Not story or accidental damage (where your characters might conflict with each other and deal damage beyond the power of a vote). I kept things simple as this is the first poll.

Remember, anyone an vote. Not just those with characters.

Since the goal is to be the last one alive, you probably don't want to vote on yourself. People you choose to have take damage now are possibly people you will want to try keeping alive later. As the story changes and health drops and character abilities start to shine, your decisions will change and the votes will sway. Someone who was a threat in the beginning may be so damaged that a single vote will get them killed. On the other hand, later on that very persons threatening abilities may be exactly what you need to handle the next threat.

DP's are going to generally list any character currently active in the story and not affected by a Wildcards voting immunity.

I've placed characters current HP at the end of the 'chapter' for convenience. I'll put up a poll after this.

I'll see you in my thoughts and dreams.
Try not worry for you- unseen. A child I knew you then- Now amongst the dead spirits of men.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.
I'll hang on if you linger.

Rest your spirit with me.
One friend down. Goodbye Christian.
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is the person running with Solennia? Confused

I got the impression that there were five heroes, and four of them are in the first section. Confused

Unless it is the misc?

~Solus

chapter 6 of DESTINY - a super old SG which won't continue...but there are a full 6 chapters if you feel like reading something with no ending!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I sort of get it, I think. Are our votes influencing who gets damaged most in the next chapter?

I went for Solly because I considered out of all of them she was in the most immediate danger.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha. It begins! I think I would have put it in a new thread mind you, to differentiate it from the creation thread.

Anyway, a little confusing intro, but we'll get more familiar with it as things go along.

I liked the last section in particular.
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I don't want to be repetitive...
...but is the thief with Solennia just a random character, or someone I can vote on?

Because it will seriously affect my voting. Wink

~Solus Smile

chapter 6 of DESTINY - a super old SG which won't continue...but there are a full 6 chapters if you feel like reading something with no ending!
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the very beginning, Matt, Roger and Kitty and Pants are introduced.
In the second part Solennia and 'a thief' are introduced.
In the third part an Assassin, Skrangold and Dicana are introduced.

That means all 5 heroes and 2 villains have been introduced with certainty leaving the two Misc. Characters to be determined.

If you're familiar with the characters (everyone posted their characters publicly) you would be able to figure out either who the assassin is or who the thief is. Not both.

My character has not been introduced yet, so I did not list or place my name up for vote as the rules state that my character would need to be immediately participating in the story to be subjected to a vote.

You may vote as you please but voting on someone who looks like they will be attacked isn't quite how it works. That sort of damage fairly random, though the players can influence it if they want. The voting has nothing to do with what the assassin might do or Dicana.

It's purely based on who you'd like to see lose some health. It is about strategy. If you believe Solennia will be hurt by the assassin and ALSO want to hasten her demise, then voting for her to take damage is a great idea. She MIGHT get hurt by the assassin and most certainly WILL take damage from the vote.

But if you aren't interested in her taking a lot of damage, you can always vote on someone else entirely. Someone you may think will be a problem later, someone who you just don't like, or someone you want to knock down a few pegs so someone won't be able to easily get a huge advantage. There are a lot of reasons to vote for any given person. Some characters will rarely receive damage due to combat situations, for instance.

The vote, therefor, is up to you.

Try not worry for you- unseen. A child I knew you then- Now amongst the dead spirits of men.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'K, thanks.

I voted Matt because, frankly, with 10 health - he needs to take some damage.
+ If someone dies too quickly it won't be so interesting.
Wink

~Solus

algu95
Citizen

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have joined in on this, but (frankly) i do not have a lot o fables to get the character i want. And now it's to late XD

Falcon Lord, a linear story by algu!
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee. A four way tie.

Algu, creating a character for NSS is inexpensive (as some of the fable costs have shown). You're right though, it is too late to join, although you can always save fables for next round and voting still plays an important part in the outcome. At the very least you'll get to be educated on how this works so that next round, you can play like a pro by hopefully developing a strategy.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Matt won in an otherwise close vote. Guess nobody likes the poor guy. Sad

Oh well, sucks for him.

Next page is on the way.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plots and Plans

Heavy red liquid dripped from the edge of the blade making a soft padding sound as it hit the thick dust of the road. The birds were silent as the two women faced each other.

“Why are you doing this to us?” the first cried emphatically.

“Us?” came a mocking inquiry. “There is only you and me and I am most certainly doing nothing to myself.” Kittalia raised her sword and lunged.

As expected, there was a cloud of dust and she was blinded but Kittalia had prepared for that. She tumbled over the dead thieves still warm body, grabbing one of his daggers as she did, only to release the blade at the end of her roll in a single, fluid, arterial-aimed throw. She waited only a moment before taking a step and even then hesitated midway.

There was a rush of air and a soft, roaring sound and the ground was illuminated with fire. Kittalia leapt back and crouched low. She was surrounded by a ring of flames and as the dust cleared she could see her target clearly, light glinting teasingly from its’ lustrous surface.

Solennia turned tail and ran, knowing that her magic was nowhere near strong enough to be effective against the killer and that fighting would mean her certain death. She knew that up ahead was the fork that might save her, at least for a while and so to that she ran, hoping her distraction would buy her the precious moments she needed. As she reached the bifurcation and made her turn Solennia skidded to a halt.

A person stood before her, covered in dirty rags whose original color could never be identified save by admission. About his waist hung a belt with various ill-shaped bottles and dripping, soggy pouches. From him emanated a funny odor, the kind one would usually have to decide if they liked or disliked after several samples of the fragrance. In this case, and indeed most, the decision was made quickly. Solennia wretched.

Skrangold grinned his rotten-toothed grin and said, “All over my good clothes, too!”

“Oh, I see you have found one of the trespassers. Good job Skrang.”

He turned his head about suddenly, an innocent expression of surprise on his face. He wasn’t used to hearing those words. But then, his mistress was full of surprises.

Dicana dismounted her black steed and approached the recoiling Solennia.

“Um, please, look. I know I don’t know you and anything but I need your help. There’s a crazy woman after me! She’s got this big knife and”, she sobbed a moment trying to continue, “she killed my friend..”

Dicana put an arm around her and brought her close. “Aww, there there.” she cooed. “It’s alright. You just let Mistress Dicara handle everything”, she drawled in placating tones while stroking Sollenias hair.

“She killed allofem”, mumbled Sollenia into the dark mistresses clothing as she sobbed, hoping this strong-willed, alluring woman would be her savior.

The plan had been to wait for the intruders to come to her, brutally slay them and place their heads on pikes outside the wood to refresh any waning memory of the fear the woods induced. But the number of the invaders prevented Dicara from simply killing them all together- at least by her own hand. Instead, she would have to lure them into a trap in which they could not survive. And now she had her bait.

“Mistress Dicara, how long will the others be do you think?” Inquired Skrangold as he placed his finger into the still-fresh vomit Solennia had left for him and tasted it.

“Oh, one is here already.” She said as the sound of vomiting was heard from the shadows in the nearby trees.

Skrangolds ears perked and he turned his head to see from whence the sound had come.

Kittalia Neveria had a simple mission and it was now growing more complicated than it needed to be. Worse, her ability to end this quickly had been compromised by the most disgusting of acts that she had just witnessed. Never before had she seen anyone so foul and the combined smell of the robed figure and the girls puke had already made her queasy. Seeing the man lick the substance was the last straw and her stomach could take no more.

She quickly stepped from the shadows and into the road. She was aware that behind her, in the distance, were several people seemingly armed. At least, that is what she hoped the flicker of silver in the distance meant.

“I am Kitalla Neveria and you have something that belongs to me.”

Solennia watched the woman emerge from the trees but stifled her protest. She knew this ‘Dicara’ woman would save her.

Dicara waved impatiently at the assassin. “Skrangold”.

The man did as commanded. “Well, well, well, Kitallia my dear. I’ve got just what you’re looking for, I bet.”

Kitallia took a step back but the disgusting man suddenly lunged, grabbing hold of her at the waist. Her killer instinct was firmly overwhelmed by his close proximity (and all that came with it). And just as she regained her resolve, he licked her. Sending the assassins stomach reeling and its’ contents to soak the man from head to chest.

There was a high pitched, tone that wheezed about for a moment before Kittalia realized it was Skrangold passing gas. She violently forced herself away, tumbling onto the ground.

“Now you know what you are dealing with.” Dicara said pointedly as she and Solennia headed to the ebony steed and mounted. “Skrangold, I want you to take care of this as planned. Take what you need now.” Very Happy

“As planned?” sniffled Solennia.

Skrangold approached the horse and rummaged through the sack of contents. “Don’t worry deary” he said to the sobbing woman. “You’re in excellent hands with Mistress Dicara. She won’t hurt you for a good while yet.” Skrangold smiled his smile and Solennias eyes widened.

Dicara placed her hand over Solennias mouth and whispered delicately into her ear, “You can’t escape, you won’t escape and unless you want me to snap your little neck, you won’t scream either.” With that, she spurred her steed, causing it to rear into the air. “Out of the frying pan and into the fire!” Dicara shouted, and galloped down the trail and out of site.

“Look, it’s a hot lady just oozing that female scent into the wind just for me!”

“Pants, shut up. No lady is oozing anything for you. Oh gosh, what is that smell?” asked Kitty.

The party got closer and the lady ahead of them ran to meet them. Upon her arrival, the entire group knew from whence the smell came.

“I think it’s Pants lady friend.” Said Roger. “I think she’s oozing her female scent just for him” he said in a lower whisper as the assassin drew closer.

“My name is Kittalia Neveria and I need your help.”

“Yes” said Matt.

Roger looked at the large man. Pants gave him a nudge. Kitty ignored him and smiled.

“Sure, what’s the problem? And what happened to you, are you alright?” asked Kitty.

“The women you saw riding the horse took one of my friends. She’s been hounding us for days, we fled here but she caught up to us and took her. I don’t know what to do”, Kittalia said feigned hopelessness and depression.

“Wrong!” yelled Matt as he began to move in the direction the assassin had indicated.

“Woah, hold on there big boy.” Roger said, holding onto Matts arm.

“I think what our friend is trying to say”, said Kitty, “is that we’d be more than glad to help you. It seems you are headed in the same direction we are and if we can stop evil along the way, then that’s just an added bonus.”

“Yeah, but we don’t have any horses so we can’t keep up. But I can at least help you clean yourself off.” Said Pants.

Kittalias eyes genuinely brightened as Pants reached into his sack and procured a handkerchief.

“See? They’re in here.” The boy replaced the handkerchief. “Anyway, who is that?”

“That is one of her minions. She left him here to slow us down. He’s helping her.”

“Bad!” screamed Matt and he charged down the road.

“Crap” said Roger as Matt slipped from his grip. “Somebody get him, quick!”

Kitty, dashed into action, with Pants and Roger following in tow behind. But they were too late. The distance wasn’t far between them and the robed figure and Matt had a pretty good lead.

Kittalia smiled to herself, her plan working perfectly. She bet that old horse riding hag didn’t see this coming. And when it was all through, she’d teach her to never steal from an assassin. But first, she’d deal with her servant.

Matt was five steps away. Four. Then he slipped. He fell onto his back and slammed his head onto the ground, the puddle of vomit beneath him accelerating the fall. (-1). "Owe! Head!" he exclaimed. Within moments, the rest of the party had caught up. Matt opened his eyes.

“Hi, I’m Skrangold. And I’ve got a message for you.”

Status
Skrangold (Minion) 6 Health remaining.
Dicana Requiem (Main Villain) 7 Health remaining

Roger Apple (Hero) 7 Health remaining.
Kitty Minx (Hero) 6 Health remaining.
Matt (Hero)9 Health remaining.
Pant A. Loons (Hero) 6 Health remaining.
Solennia (Hero) 6 Health remaining.

Kitallia Neveria (Misc) 6 Health remaining.
Rune (Misc) unknown health. Undamaged. Bet you wish you could pick me but you can't. Haha.

Ok. Poll is up (since this doesn't involve suggestions). Things are heating up a bit and your votes are going to matter more with each update. Something has happened here. I won't say what and it's a good idea if no one else says what they think it is either, since this is, after all, a strategy game/story. The rules were pretty clear and anyone who noticed and qualifies (that should be a hint) can send me a PM. If you don't qualify and blab it out publicly, you are probably causing yourself more harm than good.

Anyone who got confused by that comment- don't worry about it. I'll explain it next update. >=)

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha. Confused

Your writing is a bit confusing Rune.

I think you suffer from the same disease as me, notdesrcribingenoughitus. It's easy to do; you know what is going on in your head, and it's clear to you. However, it's not so clear to the reader.

Something that adds to this in the first section is the sudden switch of POV from the Kit to Solennia to Skrangold, I think, and then back to er, Solennia I believe. It all makes it a puzzling read.

The next section is a little better, but it's still confusing. The last part is less so, but it still needs some work to clarify what and where everyone is.

You need to write more descriptions of the actions and try keeping your POV to one at a time.

There are quiet a few little errors to tidy up too, mainly punctuation, though nothing that makes it unreadable.
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of view switches are intentional and generally everything is set into relevant blocks.

If I write that Roger, Kitty and Pants are eating apples in a tree, talking, and they all climb down because Roger sees something in the distance and I end their segment with some sort of barrier like

...and people are confused about Roger, Kitty and Pants, then I can't really help them (nor will I). I doubt that aspect of my writing is going to change.

I have at least 8 characters and not all of them in the same places or doing the same things. I have chosen to try transitioning character focus. In the first part, for example I switch from Kittalias to Solennias but try to do it in a way that fits with what is happening. It may or may not have been a successful tactic but if I don't practice it I'll never figure out if it can work.

As for the errors, I know I originally posted (and later edited out to save space) that this wasn't going to be MDF. I ran it through a spellcheck and grammar check to make sure it was modestly presentable. However, as someone who has plans such as mine, I can't honestly say that I don't welcome a bit of useful advice, regardless. (I do want to be a better writer even if I am not writing this as well as I could). One error I somehow didn't catch was the fact I just wanted to repeat the same words over and over and over again. That should teach me to write at 1 am.

As far as describing more things- I see it as people paid for their characters (not very much but they still paid). Having 8 characters to work with and a plot means that spending a lot of time describing things can quickly lead to a case of RobertJordanitis which none of us have time for.

I'm sure that over time I'll get better with regards to some of these issues. While I have not read superhuman I think one of the differences is that Zephyr is in a situation where he can write 15-30 chapters or more and maintain story continuity. I already know that this isn't likely to surpass 10. Getting to that many would involve a very crazy series of vote-twists, wildcards going wild and plot devices. Or just poor work on my part.

6 health. +1 damage per chapter. Votes at the end of each. From chapter 6+ a character is going to die more or less for certain. With 8 characters total, it's fairly safe to assume that a character will die each chapter until 10. That leaves 3. Granted, wildcards can change this but then there is the damage suffered inside the story (which I have diligently avoided doing so far) and really, people shouldn't be alive past chapter 10.

Yes, a real short story should be able to hold interest. But these aren't real chapters. I've got about 10 pages to work with, 8 characters (or more), a plot to incorporate, make believable, find a resolution to and have to make each of my pages capable of holding interest to the readers. All while making sure there are proper setups taking place for a good, fast game.

Considering that this is a game as much as it is a story and that the objective of the game for me, as an author, is to kill as many of you off as possible as you all struggle in resistance, putting a ton of work into detailing (more than I have) certain aspects seems wasteful. Moreso considering the constraints of the story. I chose the casual path in writing this to maintain interest.

So while I am taking the time to develop a plot and getting around to introducing and developing the characters, you'll all have to bear with me as some of the limitations do, in fact, make this slightly difficult to write. That is why I made many of the, otherwise poor, writing decisions I made.

In closing, each chapter should be progressively better as I become more familiar with what I am working with and it's easier to describe what is taking place. I don't make any promises, though. For all you know the next update could be some poo. But stay tuned to find out!

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Last edited by Rune on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to some descriptions:

If someone has posted their character publicly in a strategy game, including their abilities and strength of them, then as a good, responsible game master I would not want to be responsible for insulting the intelligence of the players by telling them what they should already know, or in this case, could easily know.

So if a battle scene, as an example, seems confusing because 'where did this dust come from? why is it dusty? who is making this dust? what's the fire for?' are questions you are asking- I doubt you'll get any answers in the story when you want them since they've been given before the story began.

Now, because it is also a story and not just a game, it is likely explanations for these things will naturally become presented So those of you asking such questions just need to be patient.

This may be most peoples first time at anything like this but going easy doesn't impress any strategy to win. Learning through experience is better.

Now, I'd be lying to say I didn't put a lot more forethought into a thousand nuances of this venture than I let on. Just read that long last post of mine above. So I do keep up with the voting trends and even the psychology behind why people may be choosing what they're choosing. And while I could, and probably should say something, I think letting the players learn some things on their own is by far a more...impressionable means of education. I'd even go so far as to say that if next chapter weren't a wildcard, I could predict who would win the subsequent damage vote.

But I am not exempt from learning either. There are a lot of things I am not doing right, or at all or could do better. Some I may get to, others I might not. As readers and players, you play a large role in the outcome of this storygame. Chinaren wanted to see some of the confusion die down. I reviewed parts of the second chapter and found it suitable and so offered my own explanation. When I was told the same thing on the first chapter, I re-read that and failed to see the issue and found that two out of the three people who made the comments to me were utterly exhausted at the time of reading and after a re-read were squarely on track.

As this is a game it's going to hurt some story elements. As it is a story it will hurt some game elements.

The best way to clear up confusion is to do two things:

1.) Use common sense.

2.) Use your imagination.

Between the two, anything I write should become pretty clear. But don't let that stop you from giving suggestions or pointing things out that need fixing. Just keep in mind some of the stuff above.

And yes, those who role play or have role played can probably get a better feel for things. A really good analogy is that this storygame is like watching the Sci-Fi Channels Dune.

If you haven't seen the original or read the book you're going to be lost unless you pay attention to the raw information provided (the rules and events in the story in this case).

If you saw the previous movie or read the book, it makes a lot more sense and is far easier to follow.

I've tried to make this a blend and suggestions on improving that are welcome. I'll be reviewing both chapters objectively and using a compare and contrast with some other works to see if I have truly written things in a confusing manner or if they are acceptable.

You see, while some people read my work on little sleep and grew confused, I wrote mine on little sleep.....Smile

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Topics: 68

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Kittalia - that chick is up to something! using the heroes like that is just plain mean!

and btw is it just me or is Roger Apple a bit to slow to act sometimes - does kitty minx always have to be cleaning up the mess?
Shocked

i think one point that might clear up some confusion would be to use the characters names sooner in a view point change. I personally write similarily and can follow quite easily but know that for some ppl this can be a mine field of uncertainty... just keep in mind that we all have different styles..

bring it on!
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and its DICANA not Dicara...

Lily will kill you if you arent careful....
Thaumaturgus

Items

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Matt picks himself up, he'll probably stand in front of the others defensively, resolutely ignoring Skrangold's stench while the message is delivered, and try to look imposing as he watches for any sneaky moves from the wretched old man Smile
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solennias player may purchase a new ability.

Ability
Fueled by Trauma:
Your proficiencies are fueled by trauma. You can't get past events and that's clear in all you do.
(every 2 ranks is a +1 bonus all around to actions performed).
Cost: 20 fables.

Solennia can purchase this right now (and only this). The 3 rank limit applies, as normal. This isn't on the normal skill-list and is not a available to non-qualifying players. (Only Solennia qualifies).

Have fun.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't voted yet, haveta read it again! but will do later tday Smile
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Solennias player may purchase a new ability.

Ability
Fueled by Trauma:
Your proficiencies are fueled by trauma. You can't get past events and that's clear in all you do.
(every 2 ranks is a +1 bonus all around to actions performed).
Cost: 20 fables.

Solennia can purchase this right now (and only this). The 3 rank limit applies, as normal. This isn't on the normal skill-list and is not a available to non-qualifying players. (Only Solennia qualifies).

Have fun.

So I can now by 'Feuled by Trauma', and I can buy three ranks of it?

Gee, well - I don't have anything else to spend my fables on really.

I'll buy:

Feuled by Trauma x 3 (=3 ranks)
Cost = 60 fables.
+ 40 fables for my character (which I haven't payed yet)
Total Cost = 100 fables.

...right?
When should I be paying this?

~Solus
Smile

Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First rank is 20. Second rank is 40. Third Rank is 60. total cost = 120 fables.

40 fables for the character = 160 fables total. You want to pay as soon as you can.

The same applies for the characters who have a certain opportunity available to them.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okaaay...so none of the villains seem interested in upgrading before the heroes...That's the sort of rule I'd have imagined would have been paramount on peoples minds since the objective is to win and upgrading -really- helps in doing that...at least that is my theory.

Anyway, I'll spell it out. The Villain upgrade symbol appeared and all the villains can upgrade as per the normal rules (3 ranks total distributed between any number of proficiencies).

I'm also using my damage tokens on those who don't pay for their characters by next update since it's not fair that everyone else has and it's been two chapters.

This, of course, should be good news for those who've paid since it increases their survival odds substantially.

I'll keep the poll running for another day-maybe two. Remember, even if you don't have a character, you can still play. DP's and Wildcards are up for vote so you can influence who you want to win (by voting for those you want to lose). It's also a great way to wet your tongue for the process next time.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I will upgrade! What do I have to do?
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um. Upgrading is just just buying ranks in what you want.

That's it. Again, as said above, it follows the same rules as in character creation. 3 ranks total in anything you qualify for. I don't want to write the next part before the upgrading because your choices in upgrades -dramatically- affects outcomes and I don't want to rewrite anything.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think CF better get to the upgrading as poor skangrold keeps taking the hits...

watch out!
solus.serpen
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid! I paid! Don't kill me*! Shocked

~Solus

* her, actually

Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Got plenty of votes and don't think any more are coming. 3rd update is already in the works and I'm closing this poll. It's winner looks pretty clear to me.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm not to late to purchase a rank, just a single health point is all I want, to replace the one that old Skrangold is going to lose.

Not sure of the cost, but please let me know. Sorry for the tardiness, but have not been able to get online much this week.

BTW, fellow players, vote with caution. Old Skrangold has Blaze of Glory - if he goes, he'll take out with him anyone who's near. Muahahaaa!!! Very Happy
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchy I have already started writing the next update and everyone already voted (I assumed ignoring Skrangolds blaze of glory or not realizing what it did and that you, being a villain, could upgrade).

Either way, you pretty much have until I post the story to purchase your upgrades otherwise the time will be over and the advantage of upgrading first is simply put, going to be lost. You'll be waiting until after the heroes upgrade to try and catch up, assuming you survive. Smile

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wonders if China realises Roger Apple is so ..whats the word... laconic maybe?as China didnt give a brief three word description of his character so therefore he doesn't have one!!!
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverNeverGirl wrote:
as China didnt give a brief three word description of his character so therefore he doesn't have one!!!

I'm fairly sure I did actually. Somewhere.
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, originally he didn't and so he's been stuck with the personality I gave him. But I do peruse the old posts and noticed he finally put that in so I've begun the slow process of character development in that direction. Not sure how long it will take for me to accurately portray what was described but at least it is in the works.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, one health point please! Very Happy
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinaren wrote:

keywords: Strong, stubborn, bullheaded

geez we know no one around here who is the least bit like that do we?
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single additional point of health you requested out of the possible 3 ranks of anything that you could have gotten won't be added until payment is received. Which is why those first few days it would have been a good idea to upgrade but I've already begun writing so you just have to hope you get things in before it's too late. Any payments for upgrades made after the fact will just be sent back to you to keep things fair.

I also don't understand what is wrong with the poll. I closed it...twice...yesterday. And it's open again today.

I'm closing it now for a third time....and hopefully, it will stay closed. *mutters*

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain, Pain and clever Games.

The disgusting bundle of moving, ichor-soaked rags reached within itself and Matt quickly stood, sensing danger. However, as the large man tensed, fists balled tight, Skrangold procured nothing more than a curiously filled vial. Something partially dried and crusted was on the verge of dripping from the container and Skrangold smiled as Matt took a hesitant step back.

“This is the message”, the old man said and began to twist the lid.

“Hey, move. I’ve got this.” Roger pushed Matt out the way.

“Hey! You no push!” Matt exclaimed, shoving Roger back with much more force than was necessary.

A breeze suddenly gusted and the trees rattled their leaves as if applauding the coming storm in the distance. A thin line of dark clouds loomed upon the horizon, promising that somewhere, there would be rain.

“Boys, we don’t have time for this. We should find the girl soon in case that storm is headed this way.” Said Kitty.

But Roger didn’t seem to be in the mood to listen. “Hey, dumby! I was just trying to save your stupid butt. Don’t go pushing me.” Roger shoved Matt in the chest and the big man stumbled to the ground.

“Hey..” Pants started hesitantly.

Before Pants could finish Matt had stood and tackled Roger around the waist. Roger attempted to pry Matt away but was out of luck, so instead, he grabbed on tight and twisted, flinging them both to the ground.

“Boys! Break it up! This is silly.” Kitty was shouting as much over the two men fighting as over the wind which had picked up in intensity. She looked over at Pants, catching his eye and waiting expectantly but he gave a somewhat sheepish look and turned away. “Well aren’t you going to do anything?”

“I’m not getting in the middle of those two!” He said.

Skrangold was growing annoyed. He had a message to give and didn’t really feel like waiting. Besides, if he did a good job and was quick about it, Dicana might spend some quality time with him tonight and it had been a while. He decided to speak up. “Excuse me, but the message?”

No one paid attention to Skrangold, his voice drowned out by the persistent sound of wind and the cries of Kitty and the two men fighting before him. A drop of rain landed on his cheek and Skrangold felt impatient. He didn’t want to get caught in the rain. It would undo so much of his work.

---

Meanwhile, Kittalia watched in surprise as the two brutes laid each other down and began man-humping one-another in an attempt to release their testosterone-induced aggression. “Boys” she thought, as she slipped into the shadows of the trees. Maybe she could sneak ahead and follow this Skrangold fellow to the location of the woman on the horse. She would have to ensure Skrangold got away alive but couldn’t afford to risk helping him openly. She checked her belongings and found one dagger remained. It would have to do.

Kittalia moved silently through the woods, although it wasn’t necessary with the noise the wrestling men were making and positioned herself in a well hidden location within dagger range. There she waited for the fireworks to begin even as the first drops of rain began to fall.

Thunder rumbled nearby as the scent in the air changed suddenly. Clouds moved in to hide the sun and for that, Kittalia was thankful but apparently no one else. The pretty girl was shouting something about her hair getting ruined and shaking the boy violently by his shirt collar. The wrestlers were having difficulty holding on to each other and they were growing tired. The filthy man, as she had now dubbed him, was looking about frantically, as though fearful lightning might strike him down. Eventually, he laid a bottle down on the ground and began speaking over it. Then he stepped back under the canopy of the trees.

----
“Alright, alright!” pants shouted at Kitty. “I’ll do something”. He stepped towards the two men and placed his hand on their shoulders. “Guys..”

“Get off!” growled Roger.

Pants shrank back. “Hey, you two should just stop is all.”

His last words were drowned out by a crack of thunder and another gust of wind. The trees bowed deeply and rain began to fall.

“Listen, it’s just that”, the boy started but then he stopped, noticing something on the ground. A bottle with a faint red glimmer was flickering on the ground nearby. Matt stumbled in the now muddy path and his foot kicked the bottle closer to the boy. “Hey, what is this?” Pants said, picking it up and inspecting it.

Kitty stared at the object, then at the boy. Roger and Matt both ceased their struggle to see what had caught the others attention.

“Pants! Drop it! It’s a-“

He never got to hear her final words. The bottle exploded in his hand, glass and flame finding targets on his face and torso. -2 He was vaguely aware of Roger nearby and could hear a scream from him -2 or at least he thought it was him. Although, it could have been his own.

He swayed for a moment, stumbled as he attempted to regain his balance but ultimately fell to the ground.

“Oh my Gosh, Pants! Pants! Roger! Matt, please, help them”, Kitty called, in horror.

Pants tried to brace himself, but his arms were weak and he was missing a hand. He heard a loud crack but it was a long sound, quite unlike thunder. He managed to look up in time to see, with his remaining eye, a large black branch descend upon him. -2 The blow left him more dazed than he had been and as the dull roar of the wind filled his ears and he heard another, long crack, he knew he wouldn’t be waking up anymore. He tried to think of Kitty and all the things he never got to do with her, of that hot girl who he wished he could have helped. But he never got the chance. Something very large and heavy fell on top of him ending his thought and life processes. -2 (courtesy of me)

Kittalia watched through the now falling rain and heavy wind as the filthy man made sure his job was done and then fled through the trees further down the path. He was slow, in large part because of the wind. Much slower than she was but he was clearly dangerous. She’d have to be careful in dealing with him.

She heard the orange-haired girl scream and turned to see. The girl was standing over a large tree, apparently having fallen over into the path. Under it was a dark puddle and what appeared to be an arm and a leg. Both of the big men were trying to lift it. Kitty didn’t think they’d be very successful and turned her attention back to Skrangold.

She followed him closely, carefully avoiding flying debris. Skrangold was doing much the same and they were making little progress. The excessive wind was making the rain pelt and sting and the environment was getting dangerous. Where were they headed? Kittalia assumed it was some hideout, which had to be nearby. But where? Any further down the trail and they’d be at the last place any sane person would want to go.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a sudden shout.

“You!” Roger bellowed through the storm.

Apparently the troupe had braved the dangers of the storm, risking life and limb for revenge. Roger didn’t hesitate, taking his staff and raising it high at a startled Skrangold.
Matt was trying to flank the filthy bastard. She knew she couldn’t get a clear shot but she had to keep the wretch alive. Her last stolen dagger was flung with careful precision.

The blade landed, striking a completely different target in a completely non-vital area. But Kittalia smiled all the same, hearing the once orange-haired girl scream as she pulled the dagger from her thigh. -1The shout had been enough to distract the aggressors from her target and Skrangold hobbled for all he was worth through the rain and wind over the horizon of the road. As he reached the crest a tree swayed dangerously and an entire branch snapped off, flying through the air towards him. Skrangold shuffled but too late -2 although he did manage to keep his feet. He swayed a moment, briefly stunned from the blow before moving over the crest and out of sight.

Kitty followed, stopping as she passed the horizon. Skrangold had entered the Prison.
“$#!7!”, she cursed and followed him within.

He sat alone in his study, pondering over the success of his charge. He’d sent the girl on a very dangerous mission although she hadn’t realized it. He’d have to hope that everything went simply. The last to possess the pieces had perished and according to his sources, they were in possession of two fairly average folk; a low ranked but promising sorceress of the Abjuration Academy of Defensive Manipulations and a young man, apparently her lover or some such who was a talented pianist and recent inductee into the School of Illusory and Evocative Arts. It was better to get what he needed from them now, before it was too late.

If there were complications in his plan he’d have to be prepared to handle things on his own before any information leaked out. The assassin girl was good, one of the best of her class but she was still a novice and that meant he could handle her if she decided to renege on their arrangement.

With that in mind, the short, dark-skinned man considered his options carefully. A simple belt with a sheath to hold a dagger would be a good start but alas, he was a talented fighter and far more formidable with two blades than one so he took another of each. His eyes roamed his belongings before resting on an object of the exotic, at least in these parts. A silver cuirass, ornately designed and lightweight, it would provide enough mobility for him to maneuver with ease while still affording him a feasible amount of protection from attacks. The metal from which it was made was of some special origin and it was custom designed for him and him alone.

Finally, he procured a cloak, navy blue and imbued with some minor magics to ward off harm of a mystical nature. He wasn’t sure what the assassin had at her disposal and if she was smart, she was probably packing heat.

He hoped it wouldn’t come to a confrontation but he hadn’t gotten to where he was by being stupid. Rune had been imprisoned in several countries across the world, multiple times for his various schemes. And he’d paid off every single debt and was legally in a state of satisfaction with every nation. Unfortunately, this had cost him many, many years and his newest and most risky scheme, would hopefully be the last one he would ever need.

Cuirass secured, cloak adorned and daggers at the ready, he glanced over at the assassins’ payment. A chest of useful goods she would kill to have and in all possibility, might have to. A weapon-blacked short sword with a keen edge, oily black boots padded on the bottom for stealth, an assortment of 3 vials containing useful concoctions and finally a pair of fingerless gloves designed to aid the wearer in the performance of dexterous tasks.

Rune glared. Those were his gloves and it had taken him a while to craft them. The benefits, he figured would outweigh their costs and indeed, they had aided him greatly. He was loathe to part with them but reminded himself that he must make the sacrifice for his greater well being. He closed the lid to the chest in which the items were contained and took a seat atop it.

“I wonder how much longer I will have to wait?” he said to himself. But his wait was over. He looked down upon his chest, and pulled forth a pendant. A jade colored stone sparkled fiercely in the light, tingling his fingers, his chest, his head and entire body.
“Crap!” he said as he hopped off the chest, grabbed it in his hands and closed his eyes.

Solennia sulked. She didn’t care anymore. The assassin had her by the throat and Dicana, her captor, was furiously fending her off. The two ladies were yelling at each other.

“I don’t know how the hell you got this far or this close without me knowing about it but you damn sure aren’t getting out of here alive. Nobody enters my domain without paying a price and in your case, it’s going to be with your teeth after I kick them out of your pretty little mouth.” Dicana said sadistically.

“Listen, you can threaten all you want but I came here for one thing and I’ll kill you, your mother and an unborn child to get it. I’ve been through just about enough of this crap and it was a simple mission and you had to go and screw it all up. I’m getting what I came for and that’s that!” Kittalia Neveria reached for Solennias neck, and grabbed it firmly, then pulled.

Solennia didn’t try to defend herself. Didn’t care if she lived or died. Then she heard the necklace snap and the flash of dull jade caught her eye. Dicana threw Solennia to the side, kicking at the assassin. Solennia was vaguely aware of the deadly girl deftly dodging out of the way and the disgusting man making his move to flank her.

“Why aren’t I dead yet?” she groaned, feeling numb inside. But as she watched Dicana and Kittalia and saw the jade fragment flash she thought of her dead lover; saw his falling body, remembered how they were given the trinkets by someone they both cared very much about, a friend who they confided in and sanctioned their plans for engagement. A life so far away now, lost forever to this evil.

She was angry and standing she shouted, “Stop”! The two women and Skrangold ceased their confrontation just as Solennias’ would be rescuers entered the gloomy cavern of the Prisons entrance. Their faces were haggard and worn, showing signs of the same pain she was now feeling. Their faces showed loss and their bodies were covered in blood.

“Listen, I don’t have time for this and this is the LAST place on earth I would want to be. Sorry for the trouble gals, just doing what I’m told.” Kittalia pulled out the fragment she’d stolen from her first victim and placed it in contact with her newest piece. There was a brilliant flash of light, which lingered, and illuminated the entire opening of the cavern.

Husks of giant scorpions littered the stone floor, a few human skeletons strewn about in their midst, equipment laying between empty ribs and fleshless fingers. Great or Treasured Dried blood was haphazardly strewn across the walls and a corridor to the right showed signs of a terrific explosion. Blackened husks and bone could be seen there.

In the midst of the still bright and lingering light, a lone figure stood out, ink black within the green glow. He was fairly well dressed and had a refined appearance about him. His goatee added a diabolical aspect that accented every other feature giving his darkened countenance an entirely unholy visage. In one arm he held a chest.

He stepped forth and looked about before approaching Kitallia. “I see you’ve done as I’ve instructed. Good job. You can give me the necklace now and receive your payment”

Kitallia stepped back and Dicana raised her eyebrows in shock.

“That’s impossible. I thought it existed only in legend”, Dicana said.

“Mistress, is that the Jade Amulet of Eternity?” inquired Skrangold, voice filled with awe, barely a whisper.

Solennia noted the expressions on everybody’s faces My 2 Cents as the filth with legs said the amulets name. It was enough to halt her own anger momentarily.

Then the cloaked man spoke. “Ah, so I take it you all know what it is then? Well, that is unfortunate. Kittalia, I do hope you’ll just hand it over. Please?” he said with a smile.

Status
Skrangold (Minion) 5/7 Health remaining.
Dicana Requiem (Main Villain) 7 Health remaining

Roger Apple (Hero) 5/7 Health remaining.
Kitty Minx (Hero) 5/6 Health remaining.
Matt (Hero)9/10 Health remaining.
Pant A. Loons (Hero) 0/6 Health remaining. DEAD
Solennia (Hero) 6 Health remaining.

Kitallia Neveria (Misc) 6 Health remaining.
Rune (Misc) 6 Health remaining.

Have to say this was written under extreme distraction. People just wouldn't leave me alone. I nearly forgot to do some things (like the damage vote). So, if there is anything just completely missing or inconsistent, blame my friends and associates and also let me know. I ran it over quickly and it seems like I put in everything I was supposed to. This is a big and very important part of the story. Wildcard vote, and much more. I'll post the list after this.

*edit* Kittalia, are you giving me the necklace? Smile I did say please and I need to know the answer to write the next part.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Last edited by Rune on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:39 pm; edited 5 times in total
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Items are first come first served.

Whoever sends in payment as well as letting me know what for, gets it.

No reservations.

ONE item per player.

I'll update everyone publicly on the status of the list to keep things clear.

Steel longsword: +2 damage. -1 Dex.
Somewhat heavy.
Cost: 80 Fables.

Black Rod of..?: Have to use it to see what it does. It is magical. 5 charges (uses).
Cost: 140 Fables.

Scorched Shield: -5 damage from weapon attacks.
Cost: 170 Fables.

Silver Ring of Resistance: -3 damage from magical sources.
Cost: 125 Fables.

Flameguard Cloak: -5 damage from any form of fire.
Cost: 95 Fables.

Have at thee. And yes, villains may purchase these, too.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take the Ring of Resistance - 125 fables coming your way. Smile

Also I have voted immunity for Dicana - Skrangy's boss. If Skrangy goes it will be spectacular, and probably fatal for some. Dicana needs to be immune from such things, to perpetuate the evil in the game.

Not sure how long the immunity lasts - I guess that is something we'll find out!
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Updated Items List

Steel longsword: +2 damage. -1 Dex.
Somewhat heavy.
Cost: 80 Fables.

Black Rod of..?: Have to use it to see what it does. It is magical. 5 charges (uses).
Cost: 140 Fables.

Scorched Shield: -5 damage from weapon attacks.
Cost: 170 Fables.

Flameguard Cloak: -5 damage from any form of fire.
Cost: 95 Fables.

Silver Ring of Resistance: -3 damage from magical sources.
Cost: 125 Fables. SOLD to Skrangold

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I don't know...it all depends. When do I get to buy proficiences? I saw the item symbol so does that mean misc Characters can upgrade?

As for the amulet...got a sneaking suspicion you'll be really mean to me if I don't give it to you...but...well I'll wait for you to answer my question first. Wink

"Music makes you braver."
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: