Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Beyond the Darkness - Chapter 7 now here (14th May)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Beyond the Darkness - Chapter 7 now here (14th May) Reply with quote

Ok sat at work I decided I wanted to start a new Storygame. It's as optimistic as it is cruel to expect a rush of readers to return to my last one after over a year with no chapters and 19 or so to catchup/re-read.

I let my fingers start typing, and this is what appeared... lets find out where it goes together. Surprised

Introduction

It was maddenly frustrating. Sej threw down the quill in disgust, ink splattering across several sheets of thin parchment spread haphazardly across the table. Youthful hands, equally ink stained, thrust through his thick brown hair as he tried to contain his irritation.

Why! Why couldn't he manage to finish one page, just one single page, without being dissatisfied and tearing it up? How many ten-a-penny authors out there could churn out book after book when someone as educated as himself couldn't finish one page!

He stood up quickly, dark eyes intent on the half-filled bottle of whiskey which sat waiting on the nearby shelf. His chair, forced back so suddenly, teetered teasingly on two legs for a second and then crashed to the floor. The shock of sound jolted Sej and he jumped unconsciously, his arms flinging outwards in fright. His flailing hand hit the small bottle of ink on his desk and he watched as it flew across the room and smashed spectacularly against the opposite wall in a spray of blue and glass.

"Oh, that's just perfect!" He exclaimed out loud to himself angrily. He waved one hand towards the wall meaninglessly as if to deny the situation ever occurred, and completed his journey to the shelf to pour himself a generous double.

The fiery spirit slid effortlessly down his throat, heating his chest with a soft warmth as he knocked back half the measure. A couple of deep breaths and he finished off the second half with a brief shudder. Dumping the glass back on the tray next to the bottle, he squinted menacingly toward his desk, and moved back towards it purposely.

He bent down to right his chair when a strange glint of light caught his eye. It came from the direction of the growing patch of dark ink spreading across the stained wooden floor. He stared at it. Like an inky pool of darkness, not a trace of a reflection from the candle-lit room could be seen with in it.

Dismissing the matter, he turned back to the chair, still feeling the burn of the whiskey in his throat and enjoying the growing numbness in his head. There it was again. Some strange flash of colour, yellow, almost gold. His eyes flicked back to the ink stain. Aside from being half again as big as before from the added ink sliding down the wall, it was just as dark and dull. What was he missing?

Shaking his head in a bid to clear his thoughts he picked up the chair and sat down in it again. Once more he faced the ranks of blank parchment in front of him. Internally he begged inspiration to come whilst a separate nagging voice instead demanded another whiskey. He blocked out the voice, determined not to finish another evening unconscious on his bed, and reached into a drawer for another bottle of ink.

Glint.

The flash was definitely gold, and maybe a hint of red? He turned again to where it came from, his eyes desperately seeking confirmation. Nothing! But then Sej saw that once again the ink stain had grown, and now it was beyond the realistic. It had only been a small bottle of ink, there shouldn't have been that much pooling on his floor! It was so still and featureless, it almost seemed to be a hole. A pitch black hole, right in his floor.

Of course that was nonsense. He was on the first floor. Such a hole would open on the dining room below, and the candles down there would still be lit. Surely he'd see the soft glow eminating from them, instead of such a thick blackness.

Glint

This time he was already staring directly at it. He'd seen the flash blink invitingly from the direct centre of the pool. Without knowing how, he found himself on hands and knees crawling toward the ink.

Glint

So pretty. Must touch it. Sej was on the edge. He reached out toward the middle, trying to get closer ready for the next flash. Further and further he leaned, his arm stretching as much as he could, his knees as close to the edge as he could get them without the risk of staining.

Glint

He stretched... and fell into blackness.

~

Chapter 1 - Falling

He was halfway to uttering a curse, wholly expecting to imminently soak his arm in ink, when his outstretched hand passed through where the floor should have been. His arm followed, the rest of his body swiftly after.

The darkness shrouded him instantly. It covered him as thickly as a blanket, allowing no glimmer of direction or location. There was no sensation of wetness, such an odd thought passing through his mind unbidden. Neither was there the feeling that he was falling either. No wind rushing past his ears, no coldness. He simply hung there, suspended by darkness.

There was no sound. He was fairly sure he was trying to scream, he thought his mouth was open. But the darkness was so thick it smothered sensations as easily as it smothered sound. The thought continued. He couldn't feel any part of his body. He was just a thought, a thought floating in the black. Would it go on forever? Had he died? Was this what the afterlife was like?

He tried to think back to what had happened. Had something killed him? He remembered his room, his office for writing. He remembered the smashed bottle of ink. He remembered the glints, the flashes of colour. Had something entered his room and killed him as he crouched on the floor?

For some reason it was difficult to think, like he had to push on the darkness to let any thought flow. The door! The door to his office was thick oak and he always locked it. No one would have been able to enter without disturbing him. It was so hard to think now. The blackness pushing harder. What had he been thinking about? His name? What was his name?

~

Sej felt his eyes opening. The light hurt, and he closed them again, wincing in pain. How could anything be so bright? Tears streamed down his face as he fought to block his vision from the agony. His hands appeared from somewhere and he managed to put them over his face, plunging himself once again into blissful darkness.

He lay there for a few minutes, breathing heavily as he recovered. Finally his mind began to work. He was lying on something hard, but not cold. Wooden he thought. What had happened? The memories came back. The ink stain, the glint. The darkness! He must be lying on his floor he decided. Lying on the hard wood floor of his office, past out from too much whiskey.

He cracked his fingers slightly apart and felt the light assault his eyes again through the thin membrane of his eyelids. Slowly he moved his hands away, allowing his eyes to adjust to the brightness. His mind screamed for the comfort of the darkness again, but he pressed on. His hands had moved away and now he parted his eyelids, ever so slightly. The pain reignited and he shut them again, waiting some few seconds. He tried again.

For over twenty minutes he carefully tried to coax his eyes into accepting the light so he could look around. Eventually he peered through tear-blurred vision at the single lone candle producing such devastating quantities of light. With a grunt he sat up and looked about. It most definitely wasn't his office. The sphere of light from the candle only pushed the darkness back a few feet in each direction. Sej felt the ground with his hand. Not wood, some kind of stone, rough like sandpaper, but warm!

Looking down to get more detail from the stone, he noticed his clothing. Gone was his elegant white shirt, and fine tunic. He was wearing some kind of leather pants, with a rough cotton shirt, so dirty it might have been any colour. His silk slippers had vanished leaving his feet bare, but strangely filthy, as if he'd spent half a day walking through heavy mud. A clunky looking dagger was attached to the left side of a thick leather belt.

A kind of panic started to grip him, and he stumbled to his feet, casting around for any kind of explanation. The candle was resting on a small barrel set on the stone floor. The light didn't give any indication how large the cave was, ending abruptly in the kind of solid darkness he could vaguely remember from the fall.

Something jostled gentle against his chest, and he looked down to see a quill fastened crudely around his neck by a piece of string. A sudden sound, a crash in the darkness behind him made him look up sharply before he could examine the quill further. A shout followed in a language Sej didn't recognise, but the tone universally announced the speaker was cursing rather vehemently.

"Oi, quick, blow out the candle or he'll see us!" A second voice lept from the darkness only a few feet away. It was strangely high pitched and squeaky, and sounded anxious.

"Quickly boy! Blow it out!" The same voice hissed in a low whisper.

Last edited by Smee on Wed May 14, 2008 5:52 am; edited 21 times in total
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Not only does he comes back, but he starts a SGame too!

Well written start there Smee! Very nice. And intreiging* too!

Well, mmm. I'd say he was confuddled enough to do as they say. The urgency in their voice may well get through to him where the surroundings don't. Yet.

~Looks forward to the next chapter~

*However you spell that.
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this almost makes me think that i should have read your other sg a while ago. nicely done. I guess that he can blow out the light and risk the other person within the cave being not friendly,and not visible in the dark, either, or he could draw his knife and prepare for battle while retaining the light, thereby able to see all possible opponents.

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he's likely to blow out his only source of light that quickly, especially not after his ordeal in the dark.

Instead, I think he'd try calling out, to start a conversation with anyone else in the room.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Argonaut
Mercenary Artist

Topics: 10

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with calling out, everyone knows it's standard procedure when you've fallen into a fantasy world to blunder around in disbelief, asking everyone how to get back to your street and wondering why they all have pointy ears Smile and I'm a sucker for the classics.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm........

Friend or foe, that's the question.

I say he takes the candle (which I hope is in a holder of some sort so he doesn't burn himself.. or maybe he does.. hrm.. ) to prevent the others from blowing it out, however much it may hurt his eyes, and chase them down. He has questions, they have answers.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Various errors, but altogether not a sloppy start.

Quote:
He stood up quickly, dark eyes intent on the half-filled bottle of whiskey sat waiting on the nearby shelf.

Missing a 'which'.

Quote:
The chair teetered teasingly on two legs for a second and then crashed to the floor. The shock of sound jolted Sej and he jumped unconsciously, his arms flinging outwards in fright. He felt the contact, instinctively knew what it was, but could no more do anything about it than he could stop the sun.

The small bottle of ink flew across the room and smashed spectacularly against the opposite wall in a spray of blue and glass.

Are we obeying the laws of gravity here? A chair totters and falls, and a bottle of ink is propulsed across the room? Also, there's no previous description of the ink bottle's location. Was it on the chair or on the table? I'm guessing it was on the chair, but you need to make the whole situation more understandable.

Quote:
Definitely gold, and maybe some red. He turned to it, eyes desperately seeking confirmation. Nothing. But the colours were forgotten when Sej saw that once again the stain had grown, and now it had grown beyond the realistic.

Over here, the subject of the first two sentences is somewhat confusing. It could be either the ink stain, or the glint which is compelling the character to turn and observe it. In any case, the glint comes out of nowhere, without much explanation or transition. Although it's acceptable, personally, I would probably smooth out the transition.

Quote:
A hole would lead to the dining room, and the candles down there wouldn't have burnt out yet.

This also threw me off for a couple of seconds. The candles wouldn't have burnt out, therefore there would still be light shining from the first floor. Make the connection.

Quote:
He was halfway to uttering a curse, wholly expecting to be imminently soaked in ink, when his outstretched hand passed through where the floor should have been.

Halfway through uttering a curse. Also, avoid use of passive verbs, if you can. e.g- ...wholly expecting to imminently soak his arm in ink...

Quote:
Silk slippers were replaced by his bare feet, looking as dirty as his shirt in the flickering light.

Were his feet visible in the flickering light, or was it his shirt? Try this: His silk slippers were replaced by his bare feet, which under the flickering light appeared as dirty as his shirt.

Or something like that, anyway. Just make sure you make the subject clear. Maybe you should just omit any unnecessary descriptions and construct a simple sentence: His silk slippers were replaced by his dirty feet. The DP was good, though. I would not blow out the candle.

Anyway, you may feel free to dismiss my corrections if you want. They may seem somewhat tough, and the story was good, anyway. Smile Glad to see you back, Smee.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, is there something special about the candle that it brings so much light, or is it just that his eyes had become accustomed to sheer darkness for so long?

The sphere of light does not extend far, and tapers off at the limb dramatically. The air is clean of dust, and the cave must be extremely big for the walls not to reflect back any light.

And a question - really the only fault I could pick out... How did he come to assume he was in a cave, when he can see nothing but the barrel and the ground?

Echoes from the voices and sounds around him might have given him a clue, but this was mentioned after his assumption that he was in a cave.

The intruder can probably already see him. He is within the sphere of light. (We know this because he can see his own clothing)

The squeaky voice is not, so move towards the squeaky voice, out of the light. The intruder will need light to see, and will have to reveal itself if it is to use the candle to search with.

So that's what I say, move towards the squeaky voice. Smile

Apart from your entry to A Telling Tale earlier this year, this is the first chance I've had to read any of your stuff, and I found this to be an enjoyable read. It flowed beautifully and the imagery was great.

Looking forward to seeing some more!

Thumbs Up
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments... it's nice to be back, even if it's in a fairly limited fashion compared with before.

@ Dani : Thanks for those corrections. Of course I'm not going to ignore them. I hold no illusions against my need to improve, just like anyone here. I'm just glad I seem to have finally nailed that tense issue that plagued me when I first started The Time Before.

So on to the next. It seems 'passive verbs' is going to be my next challenge. I recognise the alteration when you point it out, but just like tenses I need to spot myself making the error, and how to fix it. Something to work on. Cheers.

~

@Crunchie : It's just his eyes getting used to the light again. Although the candle is indeed not lighting as far as one might expect. The darkness is still strangely 'thick'.

The assumption of cave... it was more an assumption of the narrator than Sej, but I'd say from the warm stone floor, to the stillness of the air, cave is an easier concept to grasp than something more alien. I'll see if I can add something to it, to make it a more fair assumption. Small echo's are indeed the simplest way of doing that. Although if it's supposed to be still and calm with no wind, then I need to get rid of the 'flickering light'.

Glad you enjoyed it.

~

I will be putting up a poll towards the end of the weekend. I'm deliberately waiting a little longer than I will normally. The first chapter is important for pulling in a regular auidence when there's no catchup overhead.

Plus I need to think about this idea a bit. Unlike Time Before that had a lot of back story, not to mention an entire world and magic system already created, this I know little more than has already been said in Chapter 1. I'm not sure what sort of concept I'm aiming for at the moment.

Once we're into Chapter 2 and beyond I'm less likely to pick up new readers, so we'll move a little faster.

Very nice to have 8 comments so soon.

Happy Playing Smile
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just reread the story, with the edits you made. I don't know - I thought beforehand that the almost unexplained bits actually added to the story - made it kinda surreal, while still letting you know what was going on. Now it seems clearer, but I wouldn't necessarily say that was a good thing.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Whisperer
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to take the opportunity of getting into this story from the first chapter.

I agree with Crunchy, go towards the voice, when you don't know where you are it is always good to find yourself an ally that may know what you are up against.

I did have the same question about the cave, but you have cleared that up. I thought I had missed something in the story.
Rune
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote...
Quote:

The chair teetered teasingly on two legs for a second and then crashed to the floor. The shock of sound jolted Sej and he jumped unconsciously, his arms flinging outwards in fright. He felt the contact, instinctively knew what it was, but could no more do anything about it than he could stop the sun.

The small bottle of ink flew across the room and smashed spectacularly against the opposite wall in a spray of blue and glass.

And D-Lotus said...
Quote:

Are we obeying the laws of gravity here? A chair totters and falls, and a bottle of ink is propulsed across the room? Also, there's no previous description of the ink bottle's location. Was it on the chair or on the table? I'm guessing it was on the chair, but you need to make the whole situation more understandable.

I say- Gravity obeyed.
If the reader found a need to have the ink bottles location described then why not the chair as well? Unless it was necessary to point out the ink bottles location, then I doubt anyone was assuming the bottle was located on a bed, ceiling, birdcage or windowsill as these things would have been mentioned in the general description and therefor had some effect on the events in the story or our understanding of the character (ie, he'd be sitting at the windowsill trying to write-making him appear odd or curious and as that is not commonplace noting the ink bottle being placed there is a feasible point then).

It looks to me as though unnecessary description of commonsense things is being requested and here is what it would look like (though I exaggerate):

His chair was on the floor and he sat, with his butt, in the chair and placed the ink bottle at the desk on it's top near the left side. Finally, he got bored and stood with his feet on the floor and headed to the door which was located on a wall in the room which happened to have four walls and not the unexpected five or six. Later, he returned to the room by walking on his feet on a floor and reached into his pocket on his pants on the left side (since his pants had a right side pocket and two backside pockets) and got out his keys (to his apartment and not his car, or motorcycle or girlfriend/boyfriends house). He then unlocked the door using the keys he had just pulled from the previously described pants which he happened to be wearing as these were not pants he was carrying with him. Using the keys, he placed them into the keyhole located on his apartment door and opened it (it being the door and not the keyhole). He then walked into the room of his apartment using his legs and feet and closed the door that he had just opened using his left hand. Then turning around 180 degrees from the position of facing the door he went to lay on his bed located in the corner of the room opposite the door which he had just unlocked, opened, closed and now was walking away from. He pulled the covers (covers which had been placed on the previously mentioned bed at an earlier date by him) over his own body and closed his very own eyes of which he had two so he closed just two.

My point?
He's sitting at his desk. He's sitting in his chair. His ink bottle is logically at his desk. There are your abc's.
I doubt Smee is just trying to increase his word count so there is little need for him to explain what we should already know or be able to figure out.

Smee wrote...
Quote:

Silk slippers were replaced by his bare feet, looking as dirty as his shirt in the flickering light.

And D Lotus said...
Quote:

Were his feet visible in the flickering light, or was it his shirt? Try this: His silk slippers were replaced by his bare feet, which under the flickering light appeared as dirty as his shirt.

Or something like that, anyway. Just make sure you make the subject clear.

And here is what I have to say...
Smee tells us that the silk slippers had been replaced by bare feet which were (the feet) looking as dirty as his shirt (we can assume was being worn) in the flickering light. So we know that there is light and that through the use of the word 'look' that the audience or character are therefor able to see these things. It is not an exclusively omniscient observation.

So in answer to your question (unless I am wrong) both his feet and shirt are clearly stated as being visible. Changing the sentence just to make it so that the reader thinks less may or may not do the story any justice and may not help the authors style. There is a time to be overtly clear and a time where a writer is free to just write. I think this is one of those times where being overtly clear would be both insulting to the readers intelligence and wasteful of the authors time and effort.

And the subject was clear. Slippers were replaced by bare feet and the shirt was a reference for the subject. He compared the feet to the shirt. The use of the comma followed by a definite subject is generally a good indicator. Not always the case (English can be tricky) but this was a pretty cut and dry one. There are a lot of superior and more easily typed sentences that could be used if trying to make the shirt the main subject of the sentence.

Smee- Don't change those things. Please. If we are applying the energy to read the words you write, then we can apply the energy to think about what is being read through use of common sense or use of a few additional brain cells.

I found the story modestly interesting and figure that I'll see what happens next. I think I might possibly like your style. I could say more bu will reserve that potential comment for a later date if prudent.

As to everyone assuming the character is afraid of the darkness, I thought it was pretty obvious at this point that that could not be further from the truth.

He's more than happy to snuff out that candle and his eyes are adjusted to the light so that he can see. If he could, I am fairly sure he'd shut them again. Several lines in the story even point to it pretty clearly. My guess is that the character can probably see in the dark even but due to our author having kept the protagonists eyes shut during the recent darkness, we 'technically' don't know that.

Also- sorry if I am spoiling anything Smee. Lotus' comments riled up my brain (I can't stand the whole 'please explain everything in excessive detail' stuff-no offense D) so I'm using it a little bit.

DP? Candle snuffed out. See what happens next. Wink

I'll see you in my thoughts and dreams.
Try not worry for you- unseen. A child I knew you then- Now amongst the dead spirits of men.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.
I'll hang on if you linger.

Rest your spirit with me.
One friend down. Goodbye Christian.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say throw the candle at the voice to set the speaker on fire. You're pretty confused as it is, why not kill a man? Great chappy!
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune, this is why I reminded everyone that Smee was free to ignore whatever I wrote. I knew someone was going to react in the way you did; somebody always does when I offer tough critiques.

Just take it or leave it.

But all the books about writing I've read, such as Sin and Sintax, or Words Fail Me, plead for clarity within writing. The fact that I, the reader, was puzzled by a certain order of events, or by subject use, or by anything else means that there exists a possibility that perhaps there was a confusing passage after all (hypothetically, of course, because I could be a brainless monkey who can't understand the most simple sentences).

Quote:
I think this is one of those times where being overtly clear would be both insulting to the readers intelligence and wasteful of the authors time and effort.

I don't mean for Smee to sacrifice everything for the sake of clarity either.

Rune, although it is true that we don't want to clutter up our writing with unnecessary words, that's not what I'm asking for here. All I've said is that there were certain parts where the story jumped a little bit awkwardly. Sure, I can figure out the meaning, but that doesn't mean Smee shouldn't make his writing better. As he has done, actually. I like the corrections, Smee, and I think it makes things much clearer.

As Smee has now demonstrated, you can be clear and fabricate a good sentence nonetheless.
Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you authoring again, Smee. Very Happy

I say blow out the candle. The intruder sounds more threatening than the squeaky voice.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polls up folks Smile
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be looking to write the next chapter tomorrow (Tuesday is my non-raid evening in WarCrack) so get those last few votes in.

There's at least 2 people that've commented but not voted, so the result can still change, and 10 voters is such a nice round number. Wink

Happy Playing Very Happy
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh... Twelve delicious voters. Thanks very much guys 'n' gals, a lovely welcome back. Very Happy

His royal highness, the King, was too busy painting the town.. erm green last night, so sadly with such a sore head this morning he didn't get round to voting. However, his highlighted choice wouldn't have changed the outcome of the vote, so the chosen option is...

"Leave the candle, but move into the dark (toward the squeaky voice)?" With 6 votes.

For completeness...

"Blow out the candle." Received 4 votes.
"Leave the candle and try to speak to the intruder." Received 2 votes

~

Next chapter on its way.

*ponders*
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww...missed the vote.

Oh well I await the second installment.

"Music makes you braver."
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 2 : A light escape.

Blow out the candle? No, that wasn't something Sej was going to do. His confused mind was still sure of one thing. There was light once again after the darkness, and he didn't intend losing it any time soon.

But the cursing voice in the distance and the agitation from the nearby voice worried him too. He needed time to think, needed some quiet. Needed a drink! Without any of those luxuries he finally realised he had to do something. The squeaky voice was right about one thing. He didn't want to be seen by the cursing man.

"Where are you?" He whispered toward the darkness. His few seconds of thinking had caused him to lose the direction the voice had come from.

"What! Never mind where I am. Blow that candle out, he's almost here. You want us both killed!"

That was all Sej needed. Crouching slightly, carefully aware as soon as he entered the darkness there could be rocks to trip over, he moved swiftly across the pool of light and plunged into the darkness where he'd heard the voice.

"What are you doing!" Despite still being a whisper, the pitch had risen to such a degree it seemed to be a shout. "Get back out there."

Sej cast about blindly in the darkness, trying to home in on the voice with his ears. It seemed to be coming from surprisingly low to the ground. "I need the light. I'm not blowing it out." He said stubbornly into the darkness. His outstretched hand touched something soft, furry for the briefest second before it pulled away.

The next sound could have been a deep sigh. It was followed swiftly by a hissed, "you fool." Sej distinctly heard the patter of retreating feet and knew he'd be left alone. "Wait!" He called out in an urgent whisper, but only silence replied.

Alone in the dark, panic reached out to him again, desperate to offer him its comfort. Sej shook his head, denying it, denying his fear.

He looked around, found the pool of light with the small flame and focused on it. He was about twenty feet away, but he let the tiny light fill his eyes, absorbing all he could like a dying man in a desert slaking his thirst from some isolated oasis.

"Ka BROKLZ DUZ!"

The venomous shout broke through the trance-like concentration Sej had fallen in to. It was considerably closer than before. Sure enough, just seconds later he saw a figure emerge into the puddle of light ahead. First glance made him gasp in horror, some instinct causing him to clamp a hand over his mouth before the sound could escape.

The figure was definitely man-like, but larger and also distinctly reptilian. A pale, white face with large orb-like eyes and a flat nose, gave way to a green-scaled neck. The jaw was slightly extended, but not enough to be considered out of place on a normal human. From the neck, the scales continued uninterrupted down a broad muscular chest, completely covering shoulders, and arms. Strangely beautiful in the light, they flashed through a thousand shades of opalescent blues and greens as they moved.

Plainly human hands and fingers, as pale as the face, seemed oddly attached to the shimmering body. But the rest of the body was considerably removed from humanity. The scales continued down from the chest, covering strangely jointed legs and protruding in a long tail that shifted from left to right with a fluidity of movement that spoke of muscular control. Arched and clawed feet completed the violent looking horror standing so close.

In those disturbingly human hands it carried a large metallic item awkwardly by opposite corners. One edge looked decidedly dented. That would explain the crashing sound, Sej thought to himself. Dropping that thing would definitely make a lot of noise, and considering how protective the creature was of it, clutching it so tightly, likely justified the cursing.

The creature moved directly into the middle of the light, and placed its cargo down carefully, graceful with its movement. It then bent down to the ground and sniffed.

Sej's eyes widened as he realised what it was doing. A horrific chill went rushing down his spine. Could it smell him? It suddenly opened its mouth, smacking its lips as if tasting the air. Sej's nightmare continued as he saw twin rows of teeth that wouldn't look out of place on a shark.

The lizard-man continued sniffing and tasting the air, moving right up to the candle to sniff at its base. Panic slightly lessened its grip on Sej. He'd only been lying there moments ago. Surely if it could actually smell him, it'd have had some trace by now. He began silently willing the creature to go away, wanting only to have the freedom to go back and savour being in the light.

Seemingly satisfied, the creature picked up its cargo once again and turned to go back out the way it'd come. A gently sigh of relief escaped Sej's lips.

The lizard-man stopped instantly, and its head swung around to stare at the darkness, directly toward Sej. He held his breath whilst staring into those large inky eyes, holding his body statue-like. After a few seconds that felt like hours the creature seemed to dismiss the sound and continued on, out of the light and vanished.

For several more minutes, Sej stayed still. Breathing as lightly as he could and straining to here anything that might announce a sudden ambush. He desperately wanted to move directly to the candle, snatch it up and explore his surrounding with light. But some inner voice warned him off.

As carefully as he could, he started edging sideways through the dark. Feeling carefully ahead of him with his bare feet, he slowly moved in a wide circle around the candle. Not a single rock, or even a pebble. The warm floor was as swept smooth as any kitchen floor. His arms stretched out to either side groped for any sensation of a wall, but found only more darkness. There was simply nothing.

Eventually he arrived back to where he'd started. No sound had betrayed anything waiting for him in the dark. Just as he'd decided it was finally safe to go back to the candle, and had taken a first crouching step towards the light, the familiar squeaky voice filled his ears from right beside him.

"Don't. Move. An. Inch!" It whispered harshly.

He stopped, his heart racing. How had it snuck up on him like that?

"Everything down here can move silently if they want to," it answered, as if reading his mind. "Including the green beast you just saw."

Sej gulped anxiously.

"Yes, scared is good. It's still out there you know. It's far more intelligent than you realise. It picked up your scent and is waiting for you to go to the light. It knows you will."

Sej tried to shake his head, but couldn't find his voice to go with it. The squeaky voice continued.

"You think your clumsy patrol proved anything, except just how much noise you can make? If the beast hadn't been waiting for you to go into the light, I'm sure it would have been laughing at you."

Sej found his voice, a harsh whisper.

"So what's it doing now, and why have you come back?"

"Despite appearances it doesn't hear too well in the dark, it can't hear us now. It relies more on sight and smell."

A brief pause, a silence. Sej got the strange impression he was being scrutinised by the strange thing next to him.

"You have doubts. You think Morhem is lying to you. I will prove it then. Wait here. Crouch down. Don't move. Watch the light"

Before he could say anything, the feeling of the presence near him faded and Sej knew that ...Morhem had moved away. He lowered himself slowly, carefully to the ground. He settled down, hugging his legs to himself, and making himself as small as possible. His head rested on the top of his knees and he stared silently toward the candle.

Without warning a rock sailed out of nowhere and landed in the middle of the lit area with a crash. Before it had even come to a rest, a flash of green flew out of the darkness after it, pouncing on it viciously. Sej had barely taken a breath before the Lizard-man's voice was cursing again, the air rent by its frustrations.

"Time to get out of here." Morhem's voice appeared behind him again, the softest of whispers.

Sej didn't move, eyes fixed on the angry beast in front of him. The creature swung round in its rage, and the tail caught the barrel the candle rested on. In Sej's eyes it seemed to topple over for an hour, slowly, slowly. As it fell, the candle slid to the edge and also fell. As it touched the floor time sped up again, the light winked out and the darkness consumed everything.

Sej felt a furry hand grasp his own and start to pull at him. "Come, quickly. We'll be safe in the tunnel." He let himself be dragged, feeling some trust in the strange companion, but also too numb to think for himself right then. Being told what to do suited him just fine for now. He winced as he recalled how close to going back into the light he'd been. How close to death.

"Faster," came the voice, no longer a whisper, but a plea. "It's coming."

With those words, Sej felt the adrenaline pour into his veins and his mind cleared. He started running, terrified that it was blindly into nothing, but irreversibly relying on the guidance of the creature that called itself Morhem.

Any reluctance he had to running in the dark evaporated a few seconds later when a guttural growl echoed behind him.

"How... much... further?" He managed to gasp. No answer, but he felt the hand holding his own suddenly stop, and he stumbled to a halt himself, visions of running into a wall of rock filling his mind. He held out his other arm, and with some shock felt the rough edge of a wall just half a foot in front of him.

The growl echoed just behind again. "Get down on your hands and knees." Morhem yelled. "The opening is just in front of you."

Sej did as he was told, dropping down and reaching forward. Indeed, where higher up he'd felt wall, there was an opening at this level. He wasted no time and crawled forward. It was a tight squeeze. Almost immediately he felt his shoulders scrape along the edges. He dropped down, more on to his stomach, and pulled himself in as fast as he could.

He heard Morhem follow behind, making strange little noises that somehow made Sej realise how scared it was. Why had it helped him if it was so scared? It was immediately apparent the large lizard-man would have no chance of fitting down so small a tunnel. Why leave its safety for a stranger like him?

"Keep moving!" There was undisguised terror in Morhem's voice. Sej realised with a jerk he'd stopped, and quickly continued the awkward belly-crawl. After a few more minutes Morhem called out for them to halt.

"We're safe now. You can take a moment to get your breathe back."

Sej did just that, lying on the smooth rock floor, breathing deeply. He heard a strange scratching sound behind, from Morhem, but ignored it.

The scratching stopped and then Sej heard Morhem whisper again. "Sleeeep."

~

He woke up to a strange tugging about his neck. He was lying on something soft and warm. His own bed! It was all a dream! His mind rejoiced.

The tugging continued, and he opened his eyes. A small creature, a bizarre cross between a cat and a hedgehog but about 3ft in length, was sat on his chest, tugging intently on something tied around his neck.

"Gimmie it, gimmie shiny pen." The voice was high pitched, and girly. Memories of his flight through the dark tunnel, of Morhem flooded back. It wasn't a dream he realised with a dejected slump, but the yanking at his neck distracted him. Before he could do anything, another figure appeared beside him. It was taller, but otherwise the same. It cuffed the thing on his chest.

"Let go Pollir, that's not yours. Go see your Mother."

Pollir appeared to sulk, but said nothing and reluctantly let go and clambered off Sej's chest.

"Sorry about that," Morhem said. "Always such an inquisitive child." He said fondly.

"Mor..Morhem?" Sej managed to say.

"Yes, it's me, my friend. Glad to see you awake. I was afraid I'd knocked you out too hard back in the tunnel, but you'd gone through enough."

"What did, did you do to me?" Sej stammered, still groggy from waking.

Morhem waved a hand in dismissal. "Nothing much, just a small sleep spell. I'm no mage."

Sej looked at Morhem. He was very similar to what seemed to be his daughter. Cat-like features, but with a fan of sharp quills on his head, where hair would normally be. He was about 4 ft tall, and covered with dark fur.

"What are you?"

Morhem looked put out for a second. "Well I could ask the same of you. Whatever your species, clearly you're no use in the dark, that's for sure. I'm a Katoraz... "

Sej interrupted him.

"A what? That's just fairytale. Where am I? What is going on?" Without the immediate fear of the dark, or the Lizard creature, a lot of oddities were beginning to demand attention in his mind. "How'd I get here? Where's my home?"

"Su..su..sush, calm yourself. You're quiet safe here." Morhem said softly. "But I have no answers for you. I simply discovered you back in the Longblack, by your candle, whilst I was hunting."

"But, I fell, through the hole. I was writing, but the hole, it appeared." Sej's voice was loud and anxious as he rambled.

Again came the brief scratching sound, and again Morhem whispered "Sleep".

~

It was a pleasant dream. Everything was white. Bright and light and warm. Sej floated through it, relaxed and peaceful. He heard voices, distant and distorted. He thought he recognised one. A strange friend who'd saved him from death. What were they saying? So difficult to make out.

He drifted closer. Moving but not moving in the vast empty white. A pinprick of black appeared in the distance. It grew bigger as he moved closer. He could hear the voices louder now. He wanted to hear them, but the black was getting bigger. It was the darkness again. He didn't want to go there. Why couldn't he stop moving?

"We can't keep him here!"

"It's only for a little while. Something strange has happened to him, he needs the rest."

"Look at the size of him, Morhem! We can't feed something that big, we have our children to think of, and food is only getting scarcer in the Longblack."

"But aren't you curious where he came from? Look at his strange pale skin. The strange, small patches of hair."

The black continued to grow in his vision, all but filling his view as he rushed closer. He tried to pull back.

"The only thing I'm curious about is where our next meal is coming from. I leave other such pointless wonderings to The Watcher."

"The Watcher... honey, you're a genius. The Watcher. He'll have answers."

"Oh no, no, no. Morhem, you're not leaving me here with the children to go trekking across half the world just to satisfy your curiosity."

"Two less mouths to feed, sweetness."

"And one less to collect the food. No, I forbid it."

The blackness filled his vision, and unavoidably he plunged through it.

"Ooh, he's awake. We'll let him decide."

As Sej blundered into consciousness, he just heard the distinctly unimpressed huff as the second figure turned and walked away. Slowly Morhem’s face came back into focus.

"I hope you are feeling calmer now. Exciting news. I think I know where we can get you some answers!"

~

Ok – a rather longer chapter than I wanted, but can’t be helped.

So, some slight waking up to do aside, will you set off with Morhem to see The Watcher?

Or will you strike out on your own, try and find your own answers?

Or something else?

Happy Playing Smile

Last edited by Smee on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huzzah, another chapter already!

Quote:
A pale, white face with large orb-like eyes and a flat nose, gave way to a green-scaled neck.

LOL! I was thinking Crunchy had even invaded your chapter for a moment there!

Quote:
"Despite appearances it doesn't hear too well in the dark,

But it hears okay in the light? Wink

DP: Mmm. I'd feel unfair taking someone who hunts for food away from his family. Maybe he could offer to help get a stockpile of food and then ask his new chum to come along?

Nice chapter Smee! Very Happy
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinaren wrote:
Quote:
"Despite appearances it doesn't hear too well in the dark,

But it hears okay in the light? Wink

Haha ... Wink
Head Eater
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am impresssed. Thisss hasss been promoted.

- Your gracioussss Head Eater.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First interogate Morhem as to the nature of the world you have stumbled into. Then figure out what you want to do. Great chappy!
Whisperer
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:

"Su..su..sush, calm yourself. You're quiet safe here." Morhem said softly.

Just a typo. Well the way I read it, it is a typo.

I think before setting off anywhere with Morhem he would want to find out more about where he is.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morhem has magic that he can perform over him. I get the feeling that Morhem may cast the sleep spell if he gets too stroppy.

The quill in the first chapter - the one around his neck - I get the impression it was not there in his homeworld, and is part of his new attire. Also his feet are really dirty as if he'd been walking through mud, which suggests he's come through some adventure without knowing it. Perhaps the quill is something to do with that?

Ask Morhem about the quill.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the first chapter ...

Quote:
...The sphere of light from the candle only pushed the darkness back a few feet in each direction....

...The candle was resting on a small barrel set on the stone floor....

Thought it was fairly clear it was sat in a small puddle of light, surrounded by the darkness?

~

Thanks for your comments guys.
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeph, you've been getting confused over several things lately. Are you sure it's not just you? ^_^ I had no trouble following any of it at all. But then, I could just be insane, reading an insane piece of work. Who knows. Seemed fine to me.

Try not worry for you- unseen. A child I knew you then- Now amongst the dead spirits of men.

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well written, though lengthy too. but you already apologized for that, so you are forgiven. anyways, everyone has come up with some great thoughts already. So, why doesn't he set off on his own, and then, guilt can force Morhem's wife to send Morhem after, to assist and guide Sej, possibly saving his life again from some unknown fiend?

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson
Rune
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck? Who the heck are you and what have you done with Mephy?

Live on little boy.
My hopeless joy.

Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last call for Poll ideas... a poll will go up likely tomorrow morning, and then close Tuesday Morning (UK time) for me to write the next chapter.

So far we have thoughts along the lines of:

- Offer to help stockpile some food, before going with Morhem.

- Find out more about where he is.

- Ask about the quill

Although none of them are mutually exclusive - the decision point would be Sej's main priority. The other ideas may come up, but won't be persued too energetically.
DELETED

Items

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I knoow we're all thinking it...

MURDER THAT MONSTEROUS MORHEM!

Ooo, alliteration. Anyways, the world's changed so much that our hero might just jump off the deep end. Just saying that to get post-halloween bloodlust out.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought the story was great and I’ve always enjoyed Smee’s works. I guess I figured that went without saying

You won't hear me complaining if you do say it Wink
Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go to the Watcher. Better to get answers straightaway than hang out longer than necessary.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is up for 3 days.

Happy Playing. Smile
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not deliberate Zeph... I like to add nearly all options for exactly the reasons you state. Even more so in this story because I don't know where it's going anyway.

I must have missed the option you're referring to, unless you mean masterweaver's murder one, which I had thought he was joking. Wink

However, that can be an option if people want Smile
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is closed.

Thanks for everyone who voted.

Head straight for The Watcher as soon as possible? [ 3 ]
Offer to help hunt first? [ 2 ]
Ask/demand some answers about where he is? [ 2 ]

With 3 votes, it has been decided that we will be heading straight to The Watcher.

I'll get busy writing.

Happy Playing Smile
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 3 : Journey beginnings

"Wh, who?" Sej croaked. Morhem gentle lifted Sej's head and tilted a jug of water to his lips.

"Who? Oh, oh, that's my wife. Full of life is my Margeet." He bent down close to Sej's ear to whisper. "But loves a good argument more than anything else in the land. The light bless her."

Sej took a moment to gather his thoughts, using the excuse of drinking the cool sweet water to justify the silence. Vague drifting memories of the conversation a few minutes a go came back to him.

"She doesn't like that you're helping me?" His voice was stronger, the water had done its job. His mind was clearing, almost as if he could feel the refreshing chill flowing through his veins. Endless questions were beginning to deluge his thoughts.

Morhem again waved a hand in dismissal, and this time Sej noticed how human-like they were. The bristly fur that covered him, stopped at the wrist the same as the scales had on the lizard-man.

"She's a worrier," Morhem said, "and she doesn't like strangers. She's a fierce little thing though, she protects my babies well." He added proudly.

A more important question suddenly dawned on him. "Why did you help me?"

"Simple enough - I had to help after you helped me."

"How did I help you?"

"Your light, the candle. It attracted a lot of ghinkos."

"Ghinkos?"

Morhem disappeared for a moment, and came back holding a fairly large brown sack of some rough-spun cloth, stuffed full of something. He reached inside and pulled out what appeared to be a black rat, although bigger than any Sej had ever seen. The eyes were larger, the tail shorter and mustard yellow in colour.

"I was out hunting them. They are difficult to hunt, and getting harder. But good to eat. Your light brought them out, and dulled their senses. I filled my bag in just a few minutes, when normally a whole day might only get me half. I haven't shown my wife yet, it will calm her temper to see so much food.”

Sej tried to get his head around what he was hearing. His light? His candle? Yet it wasn't. How had he got here? Where was here? Where were his clothes? How would he get back? Then he remembered what Morhem had said just as he woke up.

"You mentioned somewhere we can go to find some answers?"

Morhem looked curiously at him for a second.

"You kept muttering in your sleep." He said finally. "Strange things about darkness and falling. About something called a 'desk' and 'ink'." He paused for a moment. And then looked at Sej with a bizarre quizzical expression that didn't quite belong on such an animalistic face.

"I've seen you move in the dark. You are louder than a thousand Ghinkos. I don't understand how I could find you so deep in the Longblack still alive. Others should have found you before me."

Sej couldn't help himself. "Others?"

"Evil others, violent others. Strong and fast like the green beast."

"I don't know how I got there either. I was in my house, in my study trying to write. When suddenly I fell. I'm not sure how. But I definitely fell...somewhere. Next thing I know, I woke up where you found me."

"So strange." Morhem was shaking his head. Sej wasn't sure if he even understood everything he'd said. Certain words seemed to have no meaning to the strange little creature.

"So, there is somewhere we can go to find out?"

"Perhaps, perhaps. But it is a long way. Much further than Morhem have ever travelled before. We need to find The Watcher!"

~

It took what Sej understood to be two days for Morhem to prepare for leaving. Throughout the time Sej had tried to ask him for details about The Watcher, but whenever he did, Morhem simply tried to look mysterious and shrugged his shoulders.

He was right about one thing though. His wife was instantly mollified by the rich hunting her husband had delivered. When she saw the sack, thin fabric bulging, she'd let out a strange squeal of delight and literally jumped into Morhem's arms. It seemed to involve more licking than anything else, but Sej managed to convince himself it was merely their form of kissing. At Morhem's insistence that it was only down to Sej's help, she became considerably more friendly towards him than first appearances. He managed to avoid the dubious pleasure of some lick-kisses, and was happy to receive a more normal hug instead; although it took some careful placement of his hands to avoid injury.

Whilst Margeet has instantly set about the sack's content in what appeared to be a crude kitchen-like area , Sej had his second meeting with Morhem's daughter. She had shuffled up behind him, and now looked up at him with strangely intelligent eyes in so small a creature. Looking about, Sej realised Morhem had vanished on some errand. He was alone with her.

"You're very big." She said critically. "And no spikes. How do you protect yourself?" She prodded the soft flesh of his thigh as if to make her point.

"Ouch," was all he could say before her inane chatter continued, showing no interest in any answers to her questions.

"I can nearly ball up now. Look, see." She'd sat down and lowered her head toward her feet. The numerous thin looking spikes on her body stood to attention, stretched tight as they were. "Go on, touch them, test them out." The high pitched voice called out the challenge, and finished with a giggle.

They appeared little thicker than hairs, and Sej smiled to himself as he lowered a hand to 'test' the young Katoraz's defences. His finger touched the top of one. It wasn't hard at all, almost soft. It bent with the light pressure from his finger. She still had some maturing of her defences to do it seemed.

"Oh very impressive," he started to say, humouring her as he retracted his hand. With some surprise he found the spike stuck to his finger, having pulled it away as he brought his hand back. He hadn't even felt it pierce his skin, yet when he took hold of the soft spike and pulled it off his finger, a tiny pinprick of blood glistened.

He smiled, giggled, and then laughed. A few seconds later he was rolling around on the ground, tears streaming from his eyes as he laughed as hard as he ever had.

"POLLIR, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!" Margeet had abandoned her preparation of the Ghinkos to come investigate the commotion. "Oh, young lady are you in trouble. What have you been told about fooling about with your spikes! They aren't toys!"

Bustling over to the chortling, but entirely incapacitated Sej, she reached behind her own head and deftly plucked out a spike of her own. With casual ease she took up one of his arms and gently poked it into his skin, administering a counter to the laughing venom her daughter had tricked him into. Within a few seconds he had calmed down enough to sit up, although involuntary giggles kept erupting without warning for several hours.

The very nature of the venom, meant he quite naturally couldn't stay upset at the young girl, and indeed giggled several times during her toe-addressed apology. After accepting the apology it appeared some social barrier had been broken and he and Pollir spent several hours happily chatting. She carefully explained the nature of their spikes. How they could control their hollow spikes in numerous ways, and use them to administer many different types of venom/anti-venom, although for obvious reasons the more harmful ones weren't taught to young Katoraz until their coming of age. It was fascinating to Sej - surely he was still dreaming?

~

It turned out, as distasteful as they appeared, Ghinkos when properly prepared were actually very tasty. The meat wasn't cooked, the Katoraz either having no use for, or knowledge of how to make fire. Margeet served chunks of the strangely sweet meat with a kind of salad. Few of the ingredients were recognisable to Sej, but all of them tasted familiar. The long green bean tasted bizarrely likely tomatoes. The yellow leaves were distinctly radish-like. All in all it was a pleasant and satisfying meal.

Morhem was told about his daughter's misdeed during the meal, by a firmly disapproving mother. However, the sober moment was shattered by one of Sej's giggling outburst. It was contagious, and Morhem also laughed until even Margeet smiled.

"Haha, you, hehe, really must, haha, be telling the truth my friend. Haha. Everyone in the land knows not to trust a young Katoraz like that. Hehehe."

Despite it all, Pollir managed to continue looking contrite until her father picked her up, hugged her, and rubbed his nose against hers affectionately. To Sej's continued surprise, when they both sat down again, both father and daughter were letting out a deep rumbling sound. They were purring.

~

He slept in the same place he'd woken, and the next day was spent in much the same way.

Whilst Morhem started filling various large packs he's procured from somewhere, Sej was once again with Pollir. She started telling him stories about the Longblack where her father hunted. As she'd never actually been there she didn't really tell him anything he didn't know, but it was clear the Katoraz lived in relative isolation here, and as to the rest of the world the young girl had no knowledge or interest. Her father though, she idolised. He was her hero, so bravely venturing into the danger ridden darkness to bring back food. Sej started having doubts, and feeling guilty about the journey.

Later that night, when just about everything was prepared he'd spoken to Morhem.

"Are you sure your family will be ok without you. How will they get food?"

"Without me here, there's only Margeet, and Pollir. The baby is still on milk from his mother. The sack I brought in will last for many weeks, more if Margeet supplements it with some fresh kills of her own. She's not as good at hunting as me, but she's good enough to catch a few."

"So you're absolutely sure? You could just give me directions, and I'll go myself."

Morhem had laughed at that. "You wouldn't last a dayglow on your own. And that's even if you somehow managed to make your way out of the Longblack alone."

Grudgingly Sej had agreed, inwardly happy that he wouldn't have to face meeting more lizard-men alone.

~

"Keep up," Morhem hissed in a near whisper, as they plunged out the tunnel and into the true dark of the 'Longblack'.

Sej crawled out quickly, and gratefully rose to his feet, briefly rubbing sore knees. He felt Morhem's hand brushing his body, until it found his own hand. It grasped it tightly and then pulled. He followed as quickly, and quietly as he could, remembering the tearful departure just a few minutes ago.

~

Margeet had clutched her husbands hand, the baby held between them in her other hand as they had employed more of the lick-kisses for a few minutes. Pollir had joined them then, in a sort of group hug, involving lots of nose rubbing. When they had broken apart, tears glistened in the corners of Margeet's eyes

~

"Pay attention," Morhem hissed again. "You just kicked a rock so hard, I'm sure Margeet will have heard it!"

Sej blinked pointlessly in the darkness, and concentrated, no longer letting his mind wander.

For hours and hours they continued in the black silence. Not once, to Sej's senses anyway, did they come across anything else alive. After sometime it suddenly dawned on Sej that the ground was sloping ever so slightly upwards. Did he feel a draft too? Where they finally getting close? As if he'd read his mind, Morhem suddenly stopped and whispered in his ear.

"Nearly there. But it's also the most dangerous. Most of the predators in here know that the best source of food is from creatures stumbling into the dark from the entrance. So most of them lie in wait. We'll have to sneak past most of them to get out."

Sej shivered. What had he got himself into? How was he being led by a creature his head told him was from fairytale, through a cave of utter blackness, filled with more creatures out to eat him?

With mental strength he didn't know he had, he shook off the questions. Now wasn't the time. He would find answers, but first he needed light again. He had to get out.

"The path is difficult. I'm going to need your help looking out for them. I might miss some."

"How can I help, I can't see anything?" Sej said helplessly.

"Hmmm, we'll see if we can't do something about that."

He felt Morhem's hand dragging him again and he followed, but only for a few steps. Reaching out with his spare hand, he found the wall they were now next to. From next to him, he heard the very faint scratching. Something tickled his memory. He'd heard similar scratching before.

It didn't have chance to remember. A strange tingling feeling filled him. It flowed through his body, rising up from his feet until it eventually settled behind his eyes, making him feel very uncomfortable.

"Well?" Came Morhem's voice.

"Well what?" Sej answered.

"I've just cast a very difficult spell, far more than I usually do. You should have some vision in the dark now."

"No, I still can't see anything."

"Open your eyes."

"Oh." In his fright at the strange sensation, he realised he had closed his eyes. Not quite knowing what he was expecting, carefully he opened his eyes. It was... odd. Rather than black, there was now black, suffused with shades of grey. Shapes, forms. He raised his hand in front of his eyes. He could see it! Not the same as in light, but as a cross between an outline and a silhouette. Very strange, but it was definitely a form of vision.

He looked down at Morhem, seeing the strange outline holding on to his hand. Twin pools of black, Morhem's eyes, stared back up at him.

"Well?"

"It's incredible!" Sej whispered.

"I wouldn't go that far," the small creature said modestly. As Sej watched his face, his brain started interpreting the flicking swirls of grey more accurately. He saw an expression appearing, a sort of happy surprised look.

"We should move quickly. Keep hold of my hand for now, whilst you get used to the sight."

Again they moved. Sej was glad for the hand, because as soon as they started moving, the swirls of grey around him instantly became very confusing. He shut his eyes briefly, lest he become dizzy and fall over. Slowly he opened them, trying to make sense of the mass of shapes. Still moving rapidly, he tried to focus on the image of his feet. The image began to solidify properly, becoming less confusing.

They turned sharply, entering a side tunnel out of what had been a large open cave. Strange patterns of grey marked the texture of the rough stone walls. By feeling the shape with his hand as he moved, he found the grey began to make sense faster. His brain was learning.

They stopped suddenly. Sej beginning to breath heavily.

"Hold your breathe a moment. I need to listen." Morhem's whisper was short, urgent. Sej did as he was told. Casting about in the darkness trying to see what had Morhem worried.

"RUN," Morhem suddenly yelled, letting go of Sej's hand and shoving him forward in the back. "Straight forward, keep going. The entrance is straight ahead, about a thousand paces."

"Why," Sej managed.

"No time... GO!" Morhem almost screamed.

It was then Sej heard it. A skittering sound, like many small stones falling over each other. It was coming up the tunnel, from where they'd come from. And it was coming fast.

"What are you waiting for, GO! I will try to see it off." Again Morhem shoved him. Sej ran forward a few steps, but then stopped, looking back to see Morhem, and then beyond Morhem. A horror. A face of pure horror.

This distance meant the grey swirls wouldn't converge into any good details, but it seemed to be some sort of giant centipede-like creature. Easily twelve feet long. It's many legs running straight toward Morhem, making the clattering stone sound he'd heard before.

Images of Margeet, and Pollir flashed through Sej's mind. Then an image of a bright sun, warm blue sky. The exit was just ahead. Pollir had reduced him to a laughing wreck with just one small spike. If anything could handle that monster, it was Morhem. But what if he couldn't? Could Sej afford to lose his only guide so soon into his journey?

On impulse, Sej looked down in the darkness. The grey swirls quickly identified the dagger still attached to his belt.

What was he to do?

Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nominations for SGoTM, very welcomingly received. Very Happy
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: