Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Dictate!

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Dictate! Reply with quote

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an idea for a type of SGame the other day, with elements of my Challenge method (from Avarice) a dollop of CF's Hangover, a spoonful of normal SGame method, stirred in with a bit of new stuff and even a sprinkling of Key's StoryChain idea.

Basically the idea is this:

I will post a 'dictate' line. This line will have an instruction. eg: Find a way out of the room.

One of the signed up authors must then post a fairly short, 'chapter' where the protagonist (or whomever is in the Dictate line) must do just that. The 'chapter' length may vary from a single paragraph (or even less) to a more substancial post, maybe even up to 1000 words. It depends upon the Dictate and the situation.

There will be a discussion thread for Dictate as well, and authors must sign on there to post here. Authors can sign on at any time.

Because this is not going to be RP, there needs to be plot ideas, though these will develop over time, and over in the discussion thread.

There may well be decision points too, for other people to play. Maybe these will be at the end of every new post, maybe they will be spaced a little way apart.

The discussion thread will debate the plot and the next move, and then I will post the next Dictate based upon that, the last post and any voting.

Rules and stuff:

Anyone can join, but they must sign up in the Dictate discussion thread.

I anticipate doing the same as CF did with Hangover here. At various intervals I will tidy up the posts and lump them into a 'chapter' over in one of the main forums.

Any posts must be of a reasonable quality (I don't want to be spending ages tidying up grammar and spelling). If they aren't I will delete them and the Dictate will be open to someone else to do.

Posts must follow the general plot in the discussion thread. Any posts that are obviously 'stupid' I will delete, and I reserve the right to ban an author if they mess around too much.

Initially I think the Dictate will be open to 'first come, first served', but this may change, depending upon people who sign up.

I intend to make this SGame easy to join, with posts that don't have to be too long.

The same author cannot post two 'chapters' in a row.

Keep discussion to a bare minimum in this thread please, this one is for the actual story and Dictates. I think I'm going to also say that the story posts should be in a certain color too, to make them stand out from comments. Maybe Indigo, non bold.

These rules may change or be added to at any time.

Last edited by Chinaren on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note! You must have signed up to Dictate, and read the rules to post a 'chapter' here!

Here is the first Dictate!

Dictate 1:

Our protagonist wakes up and doesn't remember how he/she fell asleep.

Notes: No description of the surroundings should be made at this point.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackness.

Sheer walls of lackluster.

There was nothing.

And then, a small crack.

Unclear, unconsious...

The crack widened, and a bilwidering array of images struck.

Veslorca groaned, sitting up and rubbing her neck with her paw. She looked down. Her rippling yellow fur was untarnished. Good. That meant she had survived. She stood wearily, trembling slightly.She sniffed the air, wondering where she was.

Last edited by Masterweaver on Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note! You must have signed up to Dictate, and read the rules to post a 'chapter' here!

Dictate 2:

A brief 'what happened? Where am I?' description.

Notes & Challenges: Still no description of the surroundings should be made at this point. More description of the protagonist is okay though.

NB: The characters' name is: Veslorca. Female, yellow furred being.
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Topics: 68

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veslorca ran her hands through her long purple hair, she had laughed at the custom her people had of sporting long hair but it had been her saviour and now she was grateful.

She rose to her feet, her humanoid body with its athletic build ached with the pain of the fall. Turning in a circle she looked around and wondered where she was.

A stabbing pain in her leg caused her to crumple to the ground again and as she rubbed her calf she ruminated on her position.

How in the name of the Holy Belch Father did i get here?

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dictate:

Okay, now a description of the immediate surroundings.

Notes & Challenges: Should include at least two things/places of possible interest.

NB: The characters' name is: Veslorca. Female, yellow furred being with long purple hair, which goes against normal custom.
She has fallen and hurt her calf.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She flicked her purple hair of of green eyes, sniffing the air. The stench of carrion made her wrinkle her nose in distaste while her eyes widened at the sight of the mounds of dead. A cluster of standards stirred in the distance, flickering light at their bases.

A glint caught her eye in the waining light and she turned her head to study the source. A sword, blade buried deep in a mound of the slain, stood sentinal. The glint was the last rays of the day striking off the blue pommel stone.

"Music makes you braver."
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dictate:

Go and examine the sword.

Notes & Challenges: Er...

NB: The characters' name is: Veslorca. Female, yellow furred being with long purple hair, which goes against normal custom.
She has hurt her calf.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limping up the pile of corpses, Veslorca covered her nose to lessen the stench. The sword was a weapon, it could be used as a defense. She scanned the battle arean warily, then reach toward it.

The hilt was the darkest black, and the blade, the color of stars. As she withdrew it from the pile, she gasped. There were runic writings on the crossbar, and they now glimmered hungrily. This was not a sword of her people, this was one of her foes! But try as she might, she could not loosen her grip...

EDIT: Same time post. Can we combine them?
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one MW.

Dictate:

Try and lose the sword.

Notes & Challenges: Fail to do so in some way that doesn't hinder her movement too much!

If people post at the same time, we can merge the two, or just choose one.

She has hurt her calf.
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbidden, a dull ache crept into her hand. It was a heavy sword, and trying to shake it free of her grasp was proving only to weaken her more, as she panted with the exertion. Beneath fingers, white from the strain of gripping so hard, the runes glowed ever more brightly, dancing alive through the metal and casting bizarre shadows across her fur. She had to get rid of the evil thing!

Casting around the disgusting mound she found what she sought. A corpse, unrecognisable with its grotesque injuries, was wedged under a heavy piece of timber. Gritting her teeth she closed her eyes and plunged the sword into it, right upto the hilt. Using the corpse, and the wood like a lever she pushed down and away from her paw, praying she'd lose her grip. It felt like she was ripping her fingers off, twisting the bones far beyond what they should have been able to withstand.

Nothing.

She pulled the sword back out the corpse, and exhausted she sank wearily to the ground, staring at the sword in disgust.

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Smee. And MW, I don't think so.

Dictate:

Time to describe the landscape more. Look around and see where we are in more detail.

Notes & Challenges: This is an important post, as it will define the land. You must put at least two places where we could go to (remember the other post of Rais'). This post can be a little longer than the ones so far. Don't make it too outlandish though.

She has hurt her calf and is carrying a sword she can't put down.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She glared sullenly at the sword, mumbling a curse. "I've got to find someone who can get this odious thing off me."

She looked around her but saw only the wreckage of combat, corpses and broken timbers jumbled like some irate child had snapped his toys in a fit. She vaugely remembered that they were on the boarder somewhere, though for the life of her she couldn't remember the name of the town. She needed to get her bearings and to do that she'd need to get to higher ground. Unfortunately, the piles of corpses were the high ground.

Gritting her teeth and ignoring the pain in her calf, she began to climb the highest pile of carnage she could find. Here and there she stifled sobs as a familiar face was glimpsed through the remains. Reaching the grisley pinnacle at last she raised a paw to sheild her eyes from the glare of the last shard of the sun. A vista of distruction spread out around her.

To her right were former fields, now black and charred with embers still smoldering. Behind her, the ruins of the village and the field of corpses. Before her, west if the sun glaring in her eyes was any indication, was a thick forest of dark trees. And to her left lay more charred feilds. She looked up as the carrion feeders cawed in the sky and shivered as the evening wind grew colder.

"Music makes you braver."
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dictate:

Okay, Rai's obviously doing here Ninorenwan, or whatever it's called. Hence we have a kind of re-dictate.

Rai's last post was okay, but I want a much better description, so the dictate here is to replace her last paragraph with the same again:

Time to describe the landscape more. Look around and see where we are in more detail.

Notes & Challenges: This is an important post, as it will define the land. You must put at least two places where we could go to (remember the other post of Rais'). This post can be a little longer than the ones so far. Don't make it too outlandish though.

NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalanna Rai wrote:
To her right were former fields, now black and charred with embers still smoldering. Behind her, the ruins of the village and the field of corpses. Before her, west if the sun glaring in her eyes was any indication, was a thick forest of dark trees. And to her left lay more charred feilds. She looked up as the carrion feeders cawed in the sky and shivered as the evening wind grew colder.

Automatically her eyes sought out the landmarks she knew she should be able to see, the far off pinnacles of the mountains, with their blue grey depths smudged the Northern skyline and her eyes moved ever onwards seeking familiarity.

The thick smoke from the ruins of the outpost summoned her sight, the burnt out shells of the long conical spires that used to house the Royal Infantry stabbed upwards into the sky, blackened husks of what they once were. Their standards, partially burnt waved feebly in the little breeze that there was. She could barely make out the sigil of the royal family (a grey sword and yellow star emblazoned on a field of crimson) from this distance. Her brain automatically figured out its distance, her tacticians mind taking over - half a mile, give or take.

Pivoting south she sought out the town of Gabardine, once picturesque with its small dome shape buildings and cobbled streets filled with children playing and people on their way into the markets. The very same streets she knew were now lined with the corspes of the very same and she choked back a sob letting the hardened warrior in her take over. The white picket fences now bore the severed heads of the Yurks, their canine features with protruding black eyes leering ever onwards, a grim reminder of this small victory. Where once there had beenthe miriade flowers of spring there was now the broken bodies of children.

Across the vast and rocky orange terrain to the West, amongst the twisted and gnarled black trees which streched with all arms upwards towards the green sky and indigo sun, the forest of Forlorn beckoned to here.

What little was left of its depths after the ravaging of war were dense and pressed together tightly, the shadows beckoned to her offering respite from the cruel heat of the sun. Making her way down the pile of corpses, slipping and sliding on the entrails of bodies she made her way forwards. The carrion feeders had already moved in and they watched her disdainfully, as she stood hesitant as to where to go.

The sword in her hand was a heavy reminder, and the landscape before her echoed its sentiments, of the price her people had paid.

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dictate:

Decide where to go.

Notes & Challenges: A simple one here. Decide where to go, based on the above and anything else. Start walking!

Argonaut
Mercenary Artist

Topics: 10

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veslorca climbed slowly down from her morbid perch, contemplating a plan of action. The outpost was her best bet, ruined as it was, there was a chance she might find survivors from the Royal Infantry. Failing that, at least there may be some supplies yet unburned.

As she wound her way amidst the corpses on the killing field she became acutely aware of just how far a half mile is to someone with a wounded leg. The fatigue of battle was also catching up to her, and the weight of that accursed sword seemed to grow with each step. She took to dragging it behind her at first, banging it into rocks out of spite. Then she had a better idea.

"Enemy you may be," She growled at the sword, "but I'll make you serve me nonetheless."

She had to twist one arm awkwardly, but putting one hand upon the other she used the sword as a crutch. Bolstered more by her mental victory than by the physical support, she picked up her pace and set her sights on the burning standards of the royal family.

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Argo!

Dictate:

A problem is encountered...

Notes & Challenges: Just encounter it, don't think about how to solve it yet. A good description of the problem please!

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veslorca approached the burning standards with haste as she spotted something moving near the large pile of cadavers that was not yet beginning to smell, entrails and blood spilling out onto the ground.

She got a look of what was moving as it lifted it's head and shook back a blood-rich body part into it's great maw and swallowed noisily; she surmised a spleen in the part of her head that wasn't paralyzed by fear.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dictate:

Describe the beast...

Notes & Challenges: Just describe its actions and looks - do no more!

She has hurt her calf and is carrying a sword she can't put down. walking towards the guards outpost!
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The massive fanged mouth was all that existed as a head. There were no eyes, no nose, no ears. Only the mouth, filled with bone-needles. The body was equally featureless and equally large, a long thick trunk extending back for at least ten yards.
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dictate:

What to do?

She has hurt her calf and is carrying a sword she can't put down. walking towards the guards outpost!
Scrapper
Tourist

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veslorca remained rooted in place for a few long moments as she watched the feasting monster with disgust. She had never seen such a worm before. It was certainly nothing native to the region. Though she disliked the idea of leaving the beast to feast on the fallen soldiers that littered the battlefield she was also acutely aware that in her current battered state she would stand little chance against such a creature.

Luckily for her the worm still seemed intent upon it’s current meal, and she hoped that the bodies along with the monster's apparent lack of eyes and ears might allow her to slip by without being noticed. Still wary and assuming the thing had to have some ability to detect it’s surroundings, Veslorca decided to give the creature a wide berth as she moved off to try and sneak her way past undetected.

Last edited by Scrapper on Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dictate:

The journey past the beast

Please Post in Indigo
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a pained limp, Velorsca and her makeshift cane progressed around the behemoth. Every flick of its massive body caused her to flinch in terror, as the scaly skin came closer, and closer.

Finally, she stopped, and looked around. The beast had encircled her. There was no way, in her condition, to step out without brushing the skin. She looked back at the maw. It was now circling out, and poised itself, waiting for anything foolish enough to try to escape from the loop.

So this was how the beast hunted. It was a choice between starving in this small area or being ripped to shreds by the array of bone-needles. Velorsca, weary and faint, sat down. She knew better then to try to fight. She would... wait it out. It was... so simple...

Unconscious, she let her head thud to the ground. Overhead, unseeing, the beast waited, a rock...
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the next Dictate!

Dictate:

Veslorca has a dream/vision/memory...

Note: Keep it hazey, vague and don't develop it too much - You MAY introduce a new character if desired
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She felt something cold on her nose; Velorsca blink a few times and realized she was in a giant pile of snow and the clouds were dropping more by the minute. She couldn't see very far as it seemed to be night-time. She heard a crunch coming from above her and bent her head backwards to see what the source of the noise was.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dictate:

source of the noise?

Note: VESLORCA is DREAMING/visioning/memorationing (yes i know thats not a word!)....Keep it hazey, vague and don't develop it too much - You MAY introduce a new character if desired
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can now read the story in one easy to read chapter...

DICTATE!

Lets help Veslorca out here folks! Get posting!
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back over her shoulder Veslorca saw a blonde haired man walking towards her. Human. His boots crunched over the snow and he smiled when he saw her.

'Princess! I missed you!'

Veslorca stood up.

Right kids nom'd for SGoM twice lets get the game flowing again eh?
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dictate:

The man has something urgent to tell her. What is it?

Note: Don't give her response yet.
Head of the Guard
Tourist

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veslorca was stunned. Him? Here?

The man approached her. "Your father is alive!! He has recovered from his sickness and is resting at the village. He desperately wants to see you!"

Veslorca couldn't believe what he was saying. Her father was alive!!

I didn't sign up, but since the sign-up thread was gone, I thought that I would try and revive it.

I *also* eat babies.

The Gods of War: Check it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem HoG i will sort it out with the boss...

Please note! You must read the rules to post a 'chapter' here!

Dictate:

What happened to Father to make him sick?

Note: Veslorca knows what was wrong but the reader doesn't - reveal the nature of illness.

shy_blu_eyes
Citizen

Topics: 5

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veslorca shuddered with a mixture of relief and revulsion. Relief that her father's illness had passed, and revulsion at the memory of his torments. The screaming and convulsions, the infernal fever...it had taken him days to die. Days of agony for her as well as him. In the end, she had ceased to pray for healing and had instead prayed for his swift passing.

He had died that night. She had never forgiven herself.

That had been years ago, when Veslorca was still a girl.

Later, when the royal surgeon was preparing the king for burial, it was discovered that his acute illness had in fact resulted from a rare poison. The poison increased the acidity in her father's stomach. Ultimately, he had died when his stomach ruptured, allowing the acid to digest his own internal organs.

Veslorca looked at the human, the young man who had died defending her less than two hours ago. A common footsoldier.

She hadn't even known his name.

Veslorca took in her surroundings with fresh eyes. They remained vague, indistinct, not at all what Veslorca had expected...

"So this is the afterlife?"

"Only if you choose to stay," responded the soldier.

Veslorca, unaware that she had spoken the words aloud, was taken aback. The soldier turned, stiding off into the darkness.

As Veslorca rose to follow him she realized that both the sword and her injury were gone.

....................................................................................................................................

The link to sign up is still missing. I love this idea and I hope we can get it started back up!
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Shyes!

Please note! You must read the rules to post a 'chapter' here!

Dictate:

Will she stay or go back to her war torn intrigue filled country?

Note: This is all you get to do. Make the choice. Describe her thoughts and why she chooses what she does.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velscora started after the soldier... then paused.

Death? Was she truly ready for death?

Fallen in combat, perhaps. But fallen she had not. Yet here she was...

NO. The Yurks still were out there. She could not abandon he people to them! Never! She was heir to the throne, and that alone meant she had to protect the throne! And the throne was ehr people!

And yet, it would be so easy....

Velscora stared longingly after the foot soldier, her purple hair waving in the wind.

Then she turned and walked back into life.
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: