Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Made in Taiwan - COMPLETE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Topics: 59

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very interesting!

Hm... what to ask the dolly, and how to go about that.

She's obviously not afraid of fire or water. What WOULD a dolly be afraid of? What about a strong magnet? She doesn't need to see something as advanced as the EMP device.. even a comically large obvious magnet might provide enough threat to get her to "talk"... or alternately, might scramble her enough to get the truth anyway. Like a truth serum.

I would ask her WHY she was burning down the warehouse. Safes are often fireproof, so was there perhaps OTHER evidence or items she was trying to destroy? Is there a way to look through her memory chip at the warehouse prior to its catching fire? Perhaps we can review a recording of the Director being put into his Jack In The Box? That might reveal more about the kidnappers and their motives.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I mention how glad I was to see you D-Lotus? I'm going to address your post last for dramatic purposes.

Quote:
"Dolly, do you know where your other sisters are?

Dolly says "Uh huh"
Quote:
What did your daddy have them do?

Dolly says "They're learning to play some kind of special game. They won't let me play."
Quote:
Do your sisters like to burn everything too?

Dolly says "No, that's my game."
Quote:
Do you have any brothers?

Dolly says "I don't think so, but I have more friends than I can count."
Quote:
What does your daddy and mommy look like?

Dolly says, "Daddy is tall with grey hair. Mommy went away a long time ago."
Quote:
When did you last see them?"

Dolly says, "I don't remember Mommy, but Daddy put me in the box 216hrs, 23 minutes, and 16 seconds ago."

Quote:
Do the other toys retrieved have the same type of parts as the dolly?
Yes, they are similar, but Dolly's parts do seem to be special... lighter, stronger, more sophisticated.
Quote:
Where they made by the same manufacturer?
Very likely, but not provable, and the lab workers have not yet traced the materials.
Quote:
Is there any toy or robotics factories in Keelung?
Yeah, seven of them are notable, but they still seem a little small.

Welcome to the game Scissorkitty! Always liked your avatar by the way.

Quote:
What about a strong magnet?

As much as I LOVE the idea of using an oversized magnet to scare her into submission, she's doesn't think she's a robot so magnets don't scare her as much as they should. As for scrambling her into admitting things, unfortunately it just drops her voice to a deep baritone and makes her giggle.

Quote:
I would ask her WHY she was burning down the warehouse. Safes are often fireproof, so was there perhaps OTHER evidence or items she was trying to destroy?
Her response is terse and stubborn. "Daddy told me to."

Quote:
Is there a way to look through her memory chip at the warehouse prior to its catching fire? Perhaps we can review a recording of the Director being put into his Jack In The Box?
The lab people are convinced that they can recover video files, but they are hesitant to do so because they would have to turn Dolly off and the design of the robot prevents it from turning back on. If you hacked into the data files, you would no longer be able to interrogate the dolly or make it function at all. It essentially dies when it's turned off. This action would require a poll.

D-Lotus wrote:
Black Dragon: "Now, Dolly, darling, I'm sure you want to go back to your daddy, don't you? Why don't I take you back home? You tell me where, and I'll drive you there."
Dolly responds, "Hmm... I guess Daddy didn't tell me what to do after I burned down the warehouse. Ok! I can't tell you where to go, but I'll show you where to take me."

Letting the dolly out of the base and following its directions to where it claims is home would require a poll also.

We're looking pretty close to a poll. Here are some suggestions, let me know if you have more questions or suggestions (that are based off of evidence):

Kidnap and interrogate warehouse owner
Investigate Keelung robot and toy factories
"Kill" the dolly and access its memory banks
Follow the dolly to where it claims its home is

Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She was "born" in the hospital in Keelung City on February 9, 2012.... The doll seems to think she's a person.

Can we check the birth records on this particular hospital? Perhaps there is something significant to what she believes... Ask her also: When and where were the other dollys born? (her brothers and sisters). I'm thinking, if we have them all thinking they were born on the same date and time (try to get the exact time of birth out of her as well) then we might be able to compare that to an actual person's birth date and time, possibly the actual offspring of our perps or someone who is close to them like family. Or perhaps its some kind of hint the perps have left us regarding their intentions for creating the dolls.

Also... Dolly, what is YOUR name?

Another option too... ok, so she was transmitting her location? I think you said we shut off transmissions but is there somewhere we can take her that would be safe to turn it back on and try to trace the destination of the transmission?

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Sugar Plum F
Tourist

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like thunderbird's idea of taking her somewhere safe to trace the signal from. It might be nice to see if where she thinks is home is where the signal is being sent. However, I think we should get as much info from the dolly as we can before we try that or try shutting her off.

"Dolly, where are your sisters?
What exactly is the game like that your other sisters are playing?
What do your friends do?
Where are your friends from?
How tall is your daddy?
Where else have you been besides home, the warehouse, and here?"

Can we send an agent down to Keelung to investigate the type of toys manufactured there to see if they are similar in make to the ones found in the warehouse?
How fast can the signal from the doll be traced? Could they find out if they are headed to the signal before they actually get there if they are following the dolly's directions?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: one more option on the poll Reply with quote

Quote:
Can we check the birth records on this particular hospital?

Yes, there were 3 births that day at that hospital. One of the three, Lu Lili, was adopted at the hospital and has no other records indicating innoculation, or enrollment in school. Information about the adoptee is not merely classified (which could be overridden) but entirely absent. The others births do have records and seem to be living out normal lives. Dolly doesn't know the precise time of day she was presumably "born".

Quote:
When and where were the other dollys born?

Dolly says "Ummmmm, I don't know. I haven't even met them all yet, and if I don't get home, I suppose I never will." Then she makes sobbing sounds and little squirts of green goo comes out of her eyes.

Quote:
Dolly, what is YOUR name?

Dolly says, "Lu Lili. What's your name?"

Quote:
So she was transmitting her location? I think you said we shut off transmissions but is there somewhere we can take her that would be safe to turn it back on and try to trace the destination of the transmission?

Yes that is a very viable option.

Sugar Plum F wrote:

"Dolly, where are your sisters?"

Dolly says, "Back Home."

Quote:
What exactly is the game like that your other sisters are playing?What do your friends do? Where are your friends from?

Dolly says, "My sisters and my friends all play the same game. It's like some kind of dance. It looks REALLY fun. My friends are from all over, some of them are from Hong Kong too."

Quote:
How tall is your daddy?

Dolly says, "1.61 meters tall."

Quote:
Where else have you been besides home, the warehouse, and here?"

Dolly says, "You're nosy. Other than the hospital, those are the only places I've been."

Quote:
Can we send an agent down to Keelung to investigate the type of toys manufactured there to see if they are similar in make to the ones found in the warehouse?

Sure, but no distinct matches have been found.

Quote:
How fast can the signal from the doll be traced? Could they find out if they are headed to the signal before they actually get there if they are following the dolly's directions?
Unfortunately, without triangulation you can only get a direction and Dolly is the only one that can properly decipher the correct signal in a city that is totally stuffed with frequencies. Once again, highly sophisticated technology. Dissecting this robot will definitely be an asset to U.S. technology... don't lose it! Without knowing the distance, you really can't be sure how long it will take to trace the signal.[/quote]

Ok, I'll add "Trace the signal" to the poll! Any others? I'll put up the poll in three days, so if you have anymore questions, get them in.
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just jump straight in with questions, as I've just caught up and don't want to miss the poll.

1) What happens if we insert the memory chip from the office in the first chapter into Dolly?

2) Is the green goo she cries the same as the goo found in the office? (Make her cry!)

3) Do they still have the robot mafia boss from the first chapter? If so, can they introduce Dolly to him and see what her reaction is?

And a question to Dolly...
"Dolly, who have you met other than Daddy and the nice people here?
What do those people call Daddy?"

Tea Cures All.
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our records research, who are the birth parents listed for Lu Lili? Perhaps they should be questioned, though that may not provide the leads we're looking for, then again, there might have been some pre-arrangments made.

Also, this suggests, horrifyingly, that her technology represents a mode of confining another living essence inside a machine and then controlling it with programming... what are the similarities between the human brain and her AI in terms of functioning elements and data processing?

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to have you White Blacksmith, you have some excellent questions!

The White Blacksmith wrote:
1) What happens if we insert the memory chip from the office in the first chapter into Dolly?
Although similar, they do not appear to be compatible.

Quote:
2) Is the green goo she cries the same as the goo found in the office? (Make her cry!)
Calling dolly a cry baby who misses her Daddy get her to cry more. The green goo she cries is the same as the goo in the vial, except the bacteria has died due to exposure to extreme heat.
Quote:
3) Do they still have the robot mafia boss from the first chapter? If so, can they introduce Dolly to him and see what her reaction is?
The robot mafia boss was not captured by the agency. It remained in the office when Black Dragon was escaping.

Quote:
And a question to Dolly...
"Dolly, who have you met other than Daddy and the nice people here?
What do those people call Daddy?"

Dolly says "Not an awful lot of people. I met Huan Gang-Hu, he didn't look so good. He called Daddy Dr. Tung."

Quote:
In our records research, who are the birth parents listed for Lu Lili?
The father died in a boating accident under suspicious circumstances... as in, he never went boating before and he owed a lot in gambling debts when he washed up on the shore. That happened in 2017. The mother is in Qingdao and isn't available for interrogation. With a phone call and she explains the father arranged the adoption and she regrets it every day of her life, but at least she feels comforted that her daughter is in a better situation than she is.

Quote:
What are the similarities between the human brain and her AI in terms of functioning elements and data processing?
Many functions have no practical purpose, such as crying or jealousy, but perhaps it is merely intended to be as lifelike as possible. The physical means that it processes by is like any computer, it just happens to hold a lot of volatile memory that should be non-volatile, hence the resemblance to dying. Even Dragon's car has a self destruct and it might not be anything more than that.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Polling coming up soon Reply with quote

Tomorrow's the last day for suggestions (I decided) and the voting will last a week ... or two.... But not three!
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is Dr. Tung? Is there any information regarding this individual?
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was going to ask! Very Happy You stole my question!

OK, so the chip and Dolly don't seem to be compatible. Given the time they've had to examine it, have they managed to get anything from the chip yet?
I was going to ask if they had experimented with the green goo from the vial (the one complete with bacteria) and Dolly (to see if it provoked a reaction re where she's stored, if maintainence is performed etcetera) but I don't think they've got enough Dolly to spare experimenting. I would like to ask:

"Havve you got any memories of going to sleep for a long time, and waking up feeling newer or better?"

Tea Cures All.
Sugar Plum F
Tourist

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the doll a representation of a child just like the robotic mob boss was a likeness of the actual living mob boss? Umm... assuming the mob boss is actually alive. Is the doll supposed to look just like a little girl?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: poll time Reply with quote

D-Lotus wrote:
Who is Dr. Tung? Is there any information regarding this individual?
There are 2 Dr. Tung's in Taiwan, they're both in the south and neither of them seem suspicious. One is a podiatrist and the other is a general practitioner.

Quote:
Given the time they've had to examine it, have they managed to get anything from the chip yet?
Nothing intelligible but a complete copy has been made of the chip if they could find a way to use it.

Quote:
"Havve you got any memories of going to sleep for a long time, and waking up feeling newer or better?"
Dolly says "I don't sleep." Then her head spins a total 360.

Quote:
is the doll a representation of a child just like the robotic mob boss was a likeness of the actual living mob boss?
It's possible. The doll is life-size for a 3-4 year old.

Quote:
Umm... assuming the mob boss is actually alive. Is the doll supposed to look just like a little girl?
Yes, just like any dolly, the doll is supposed to look just like a human being, but it is not nearly as good of a depiction as the mafia boss. The mafia boss was totally life-like... the doll looks like a doll.

Suggestion time is over, here's the poll!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooo - a tie... Shocked
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tie broken!

*twitches wanting more* Razz
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Coming very soon. Reply with quote

Geez, the weeks go by fast! Looks like it's time to get started on the next chapter! Expect it by tomorrow evening or the day after's morning. Here's the poll results, thanks for everyone who participated:

Where does Dragon direct his investigation?
Kidnap and interrogate warehouse owner
16% [ 1 ]
Investigate Keelung robot and toy factories
0% [ 0 ]
"Kill" the dolly and access its memory banks
0% [ 0 ]
Follow the dolly to where it claims its home is
33% [ 2 ]
Re-activate dolly's uplink and follow the signal
50% [ 3 ]

Total Votes : 6
Who Voted: Crunchyfrog, D-Lotus, Shady Stoat, Smee, Sugar Plum F, The White Blacksmith
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Chapter 4, Teeter-Totter of Death Reply with quote

Chapter 4, Teeter-Totter of Death

A vale of purple twilight hung over Taipei with the early stars looking like brilliant sequins, and Black Dragon really couldn’t care less. It was decided, he would reactivate the dolly's uplink and follow it to the source. He sped his spy car out of the HQ with the dolly clipped into her seat belt. The dolly was inside a black bag under the belt, with a compass like device installed into her head which pointed the direction of the signal she was linked to. Naturally the signal did not follow the course of the roads, so Dragon had to change course and check the compass frequently. On top of that, tonight was the “Procession of Lanterns” or Night Parade, and many of the city’s streets were blocked. The dolly sang songs while she sat in the car and evening turned into night.

On the outskirts of town, Dragon found a relatively small communications tower. It was only 20 meters high, but covering in all sorts of dishes and antennas. It was getting dark, so Dragon put in his night vision contact lenses and carried his prisoner up the steep hill to the tower. It didn't take long to find the device pirating the use of the tower. The device itself was fairly uncomplicated, a box the size of a fist with a few cables coming out of it. It was a strange metallic green color, somewhat resembling the color of old plastic toys. It's purpose was clear, and if Dragon was patient enough for careful examination, perhaps he wouldn’t have disabled the device with a rock. However, he didn't feel he could stand waiting for a team to come and investigate it. After smashing the bow and exposing its sophisticated electronic parts, he observe the change it made on the Dolly. Perhaps it would make her more receptive to questions?

Dolly hadn't put up much fuss in the bag, and contented herself with humming and singing, but after the box broke, she knew something had happened. She finally stopped singing.

“What did you do?” Dolly asked in an accusing tone.

“What do you think I did?” Dragon responded, certain that he made the right decision.

“You just tried to cut off my uplink with Daddy.”

“I think I did more than try.”

“I don’t think so. I’m telling Daddy what you did.”

“And how are you going to do that?” Dragon asked, still feeling cocky, but then he noticed the compass direction had changed. “That must be the source!”

“You won’t get to it in time!” Dolly screamed.

“In time for what?”

“Daddy tells me my sisters only need two more hours. He says he’s sending friends that will save me.”

“What happens in 2 hours?” Dragon asked.

“… Daddy doesn’t tell me that.”

Dragon wanted to use his DPTUAFE on the dolly, but he needed her to find the source of the signal. Now there was a time limit, Dragon lunged into action. He slid down the steep hill and ran back into the car. 2 hours should be plenty of time to stop whatever was supposed to happen.

The Procession of Lanterns was well on its way across the city, illuminating each street it encountered with thousands of lights. It cut a neat line across the city, forming a sort of barrier, but the intel coordinator, Dong, kept Dragon updated and found alternate routes. A lot of the police were preoccupied with the night parade, which was lucky since Dragon ignored speed limits, traffic lights, and common sense. Most pedestrians were at the parade as well, but some were still loitering on the sidewalks where Dragon would occasionally be driving. Most of them dodged pretty well, but one particular man wasn't paying attention while eating seafood and walking home. Xinjian Yang's dinner splattered on Dragon's windshield as Xinjian Yang himself spun several times over the top of the car and landed on his head. The car was unscathed, and the squid clinging to the windshield was pushed away by highly advanced windshield wipers and very typical washer fluid. Dong assured Dragon that Yang was a wanted criminal anyway. … It wasn’t exactly an offense punishable by “hit by car”, but Dong kept that part to himself. Dragon was mildly interested, but he was preoccupied with juggling his attention between the compass and the road.

The needle shifted dramatically, near a tall tower in the middle of the city. He still had 1 hour and 25 minutes left… easy. He pulled Dolly out of the car to help pinpoint the signal and rushed to the gate to the stairs at the base. He qik pik'd the gate and climbed the tower stairs quickly. Sweating and breathing heavy he located the device, and DPTUAFE’d it. As expected, the needle shifter again. This was going to be closer than he thought. He started to descend, when two cars with heavy tinting drove up. He made it halfway down before the cars squealed to a halt and poured out armed men in suits and bad-guy shades. They opened fire on Dragon, bullets whizzing by or ricocheting off of the stairs and columns.

Dragon quickly weighed his options and jumped out of the staircase onto a reinforcing beam. There was still another 18 meters to go, so he dropped in stages, using crossing bars, and beams like Tarzan used vines. He dismounted by spinning onto a bar and landing after a cool but unnecessary flip. The shots followed him as he dodged behind his car. Sparks leapt from the frame as the bullets hit it, but they didn’t even chip the paint. Safely inside, Dragon turned on the engine, turned up the music, lined up the front of the car to aim at the black cars. He pushed the secret button that activated the machine guns. The men got out of the way, as their cars turned to exploding Swiss cheese. Dragon drove away unscratched.

28 minutes later with 47 minutes left, the car was dripping with red sauce from smashing into a vendor. Another black car was in pursuit, and the needle moved easily as though the source was nearby. A little oil slick near a sharp turn made certain Dragon wouldn't be disturbed by the following car as it crashed into a wall. Unfortunately, the next tower already had cars waiting.

It didn’t look like an evil genius hideout, so he had to assume it was another relay tower. He felt sorry for all of the teenagers that would lose texting capabilities for the next few days, but Dragon didn’t have time to fool around. He locked the car’s missile guidance system on the tower and launched a missile, obliterating all of the relays in a firey blast and showering the waiting cars in debris. The compass shifted again.

"You're running out of time!" Dolly taunted and resumed singing again.

The compass needle pointed toward downtown, heading straight for the night parade. Dong already had some alternate routes to avoid traffic, but Dragon had already stopped listening to Dong’s complicated directions. The heavy traffic and long detour would prevent him from getting to the next signal source in time, and if this wasn’t the original source, most likely he would not be able to find it before the big event. The line of large floating lanterns was hard to miss, as was the masses of people lining them. Dragon relied heavily on his horn to encourage bystanders of the parade to get out of the way. Then he burst through the barricade and became the newest float of the parade.

Dragon was equally surprised as the bystanders when he noticed the parade was FULL of dancing life-size dolls. About 36 of those dolls looked “awfully similar” to the dolly in the black bag (minus the surgery and the compass sticking out of her head), but that was just the tip of the iceberg. The parade itself was mostly above the street, with teams of costumed people holding down the lanterns with ropes on the sides, and dancing toys in the middle of the road, where it was otherwise clear.

Having no objection to having little children watching him hitting and smashing the toys, he drove straight down the middle of the parade. One doll, clearly one of the 36 sisters, splattered with green blood on the windshield.

Dragon had a clear bearing on the source of the signal, which followed the parade path perfectly. Then he saw the needle start to shift as if approaching another source, and he had a good feeling about this one. Unless he was mistaken, the needle was now pointing directly at Taipei 101, the tallest building in Taiwan which was once the tallest building in the world. If that isn’t a good location for an evil genius, what is?

Dragon paid the NT$430 to take the high speed elevator to the 91st level. From there, Dragon was certain there would be 10 floors of fighting and dodging as he trespassed the evil genius lair and finally faced the mastermind in unarmed combat. Dragon stretched and his ears popped as he arrived 392 meters above the ground. It occurred to him a hang glider or jetpack gadget would have been really handy for a situation like this. Then the doors opened and men in black suits rushed in.

Dragon struck back, breaking wrists and gouging eyes. The DPTUAFE was a decent taser in a pinch, and it gave him an opening. He could easily tell good guys from bad guys as he ran onto the outdoor observatory, because the good guys were running away and the bad guys were coming straight for him. After a few good kicks, Dragon jumped up and then climbed to the next level to another balcony. The qik pik helped him into the building.

“Dragon,” Dong said into his ear, “you only have 3 minutes left.”

“Don’t worry, it will be over in 2,” he replied. But the compass wasn’t satisfied with his climb so far. It wanted him to go to the VERY top. In 1 minute and 11 seconds, Dragon was climbing the spire that crowned the skyscraper and he at last found the next communication relay at the tip of the spire. Once again, he had only found a bouncing signal, the source could be miles away. Below him, the men in black suits were waiting and they weren’t hiding their guns anymore, their aim still sucked though. With 10 seconds left, Dragon disabled the relay, feeling it would probably be his last action. This interruption triggered a response near the base of the spire, causing an immediate explosion.

The spire broke away and Dragon rode it down the 10 floors to the evacuated observation deck. Before he could move, it shifted again, thrusting him far over the edge of the building, with only the weight of the base preventing him from falling the whole distance. He was now suspended on a teeter-totter of death over twelve hundred feet above the ground, and the only people who come to help him are wearing black suits and bad-guy shades.

Dragon could feel the wind move the spire, and even his breathing seemed to encourage it to drop. He speculated he had about 60 seconds to live, including 45 seconds of clinging for dear life and 15 seconds before he hit the ground.

DP: What does Dragon do? Remember that vital information is missing, so ask questions (please make them direct questions in list form)

Click here for inventory and synopsis

Last edited by Lebrenth on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:06 am; edited 4 times in total
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Am I right thinking the cyanide cufflinks is a gas-like release, rather than something to be dropped in a drink? If so, is the wind favourable for throwing his cyanide cufflinks at the incoming bad guys, or is it liable to blow it back in our faces?

- Is the dolly with him? I lost track of her. If so is she saying anything of use? Is Daddy unhappy that he made it to the tower, or is he amused he didn't get to the final relay in time?

- How are we teetering? Is it like a seesaw, or is the tower improbably stood on end? And where are we on the tower? Is it feasible to make a leap towards the end that would settle the teetering on a safe side?

- Does our team happen to have a helicopter nearby, as a pick up now would be helpful?

- If we manage to get to relative safety, and knock out all the guards... is it feasible to produce some kind of parachute from their clothing? ;-)
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
- Am I right thinking the cyanide cufflinks is a gas-like release, rather than something to be dropped in a drink? If so, is the wind favourable for throwing his cyanide cufflinks at the incoming bad guys, or is it liable to blow it back in our faces?
The cufflinks are the "drop in the drink" kind, or, their primary purpose, to commit suicide with. The wind is blowing perpendicular to the orientation of the needle. A gas wouldn't blow into anyone's face.

Quote:
- Is the dolly with him? I lost track of her. If so is she saying anything of use? Is Daddy unhappy that he made it to the tower, or is he amused he didn't get to the final relay in time?
Yeah, the dolly thought the drop was fun, but she stops laughing soon. Dolly says,

"Daddy? Are you there? Why can't I hear you? Daddy!?"

Quote:
- How are we teetering? Is it like a seesaw, or is the tower improbably stood on end? And where are we on the tower? Is it feasible to make a leap towards the end that would settle the teetering on a safe side?
Yeah, a seesaw or teeter-totter is what the needle would resemble. Dragon is hanging way over the edge, near the end, afraid that moving at all will make it worse. The black suits could easily choose to help or hurt Dragon at this point and they seem to favor the hurt him idea.

Quote:
- Does our team happen to have a helicopter nearby, as a pick up now would be helpful?
A helicopter will arrive within 5 minutes (thank you Dong!), however there is reason to believe that, between the guards, the wind, and the teetering, Dragon will not have 5 minutes to wait.

Quote:
- If we manage to get to relative safety, and knock out all the guards... is it feasible to produce some kind of parachute from their clothing? ;-)
Wow Smee, I'm so glad you aren't serious.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the car keys perhaps offer remote control of the car... namely the car's front mounted harpoon, and can it fire it up to hit the tower, and provide us a rope to slide down? I'm doubting the rope would be anywhere near long enough, but sliding down the rope we might reach a window we can get in.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
Do the car keys perhaps offer remote control of the car... namely the car's front mounted harpoon, and can it fire it up to hit the tower, and provide us a rope to slide down?
I wish I thought about the car keys doing stuff like that, but unfortunately they're just plain old car keys. The harpoon couldn't shoot far enough anyway and it would need to be at a very sharp angle to do so, which would require tipping the car and stuff.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! This storygame has been stickied, and will be eligible for the next Spotlight competition. However, there are parts of this and previous chapters that are borderline and need fixing, in order to keep it sticky.

Specifically, words have been missed out, and there are some issues with tense. In some places, the word repetition has led to clumsily formed sentences and clunky paragraphs.

I don't think you'll need any examples, as judging by the quality of your previous storygames and excellent critiquing skills I know you'll spot and fix the errors easily on a quick read-through. (although if you want critique, just ask) Smile

That said, this was an action packed and enjoyable chapter, and has ended in a tough situation for Dragon to get out of. There doesn't seem to be anything immediately to hand that will save him. I'm wondering about all these dollies that are enjoying the procession in the streets.

Can the DPTUAFE handle them remotely?

If so, is it possible to influence them en masse to his advantage?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groovy! So glad it got stickied. I guess the poll managed to help it qualify on the technical points? I guess I should admit that I haven't put as much time and care into this storygame as I have in previous storygames. I'll go ahead and fix the errors.

I'd be happy for a critique, especially where this isn't usually my style of writing. It's an extra pulpy formula. Plus it's purpose is more to exercise investigation between chapters and to help me plan DP's before writing a chapter at all.

Crunchyfrog wrote:
Can the DPTUAFE handle them remotely?
Nope, direct contact is needed.

Quote:
If so, is it possible to influence them en masse to his advantage?
If it is possible, it isn't clear how.
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dragon was climbing the spire that crowned the skyscraper and he at last found the next stupid communication relay

Is this stream of consciousness? Because if it is, then it isn't evident. And if it isn't, then the word "stupid" as a descriptive adjective seems a bit careless. In fact, if I wasn't aware of the fact that you have consciously chosen to write the story rather like a comic book I would think that the entire thing is a bit childish. Of course, the allure of this story is the decision point and not the narrative itself.

It's a pity our hero doesn't keep a utility belt like Batman with a bat-rang.

Does he have any sort of rope/metal coil he can use to swing to another part?

Can Dong order the car to attack the bad guys?

Can Dong call the police or somebody nearby to provide a temporary distraction?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this stream of consciousness?

Yeah, I guess it is. Thank you for contributing to my vocabulary. Sorry you don't like the adjective. I don't really feel that attached to it so I could happily just delete it. I'm going to be doing a run through of the entire story pretty soon so I'll give it another look. Anyway it is supposed to be pulp, and let me just say it is a relief to throw down the story this quickly and not have to agonize over anything (except story continuity. I'm still striving to keep that together).

Quote:
Does he have any sort of rope/metal coil he can use to swing to another part?
He has a belt that's about a meter long. That's unfortunately all he has available.

Quote:
Can Dong order the car to attack the bad guys?
Yeah, Dong can pilot the car himself like a video game and probably wreak some havoc. However, this would distract him from helping Dragon in other ways.

Quote:
Can Dong call the police or somebody nearby to provide a temporary distraction?
The police and security guards are well aware that an explosion occurred on the building and that there is an incident on the observation deck. The men in black suits are very determined to kill Dragon, so they would need a serious distraction to pull them away. Security would have to do more than just show up at this point. There is also a lot of chaos from people trying to escape which would slow the security guards down. Basically, their response would be too slow to be of much help in the next 3 minutes, maybe longer if the black suits put up a fight.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Grammartized Reply with quote

Well, that didn't take as long as I thought it would. I read through everything and found a few mistakes, but not really that much. Perhaps I've lost my touch? If anyone spots any more mistakes, please let me know.

Still open for questions and thanks for reading my story!

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute. Dolly says she cant hear Daddy. Is that because he's cut off her link to him, or did the explosion do something nasty?

What can he see with his X-Ray goggles?

Oh yeah, and full crit can be found Here Very Happy
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groovy! Thanks for the crit, I'll be reading that very soon.

Crunchyfrog wrote:
Wait a minute. Dolly says she cant hear Daddy. Is that because he's cut off her link to him, or did the explosion do something nasty?

No time to investigate really, but the dolly may have been jarred or hit during the fall.

Quote:
What can he see with his X-Ray goggles?
In the dolly or just his surroundings? Nothing seems to be wrong with her. The black suit guys are packing weapons, and security is coming up the elevator.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Revisions Reply with quote

This thread has been Crunchitized!

I've made a lot of improvements to the latest chapter for clarity and readability, plus I've unified the font and added links. There's also an updated synopsis.

Thanks for the help Crunchy! And as for the DP hint... sorry, I'm not ready to do that yet. Very Happy

D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon has two obvious options. Since he's on a "teeter-totter", he can either balance the spire one way or another. What he doesn't want to do is stay in that uncertain spot.

We already know that he "rode" the spire down to the observatory deck, which was ten floors down from its original position. If he was able to do this-- couldn't he also ride the spire all the way down to the bottom floor and escape in his car? Twelve hundred feet is quite some distance (although we aren't sure how much distance separated the top of the building from the observation deck) so perhaps he could tie himself closely to the spire with his belt as it pummels down, and then release himself as it crashes. I suggest that he clings to the spire only because it will give him cover from the shots that will be coming from below. Of course the kinetic energy of his body would be quite high by the time he reaches the ground, so something would have to break his fall (perhaps Dong could position the car so that it will catch him as he falls?). If Dragon decides to use this strategy, all he has to do is wait for the spire to totter over, which as the description implies, is about to happen imminently at the slightest movement of his body.

The other possibility is to put weight on the base of the spire so that it stabilizes and allows Dragon to clamber back on to the observation deck. The only idea I can think of is to use his DPTUAFE machine, and to jam it or set it to auto-explode (is that possible?). Then chuck it right above the base of the spire so that the force of the explosion pushes it down and gives Dragon a few seconds of stability to climb to safety. Hopefully the explosion won't reach Dragon himself...

That's all I got.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lotus wrote:
Couldn't he also ride the spire all the way down to the bottom floor and escape in his car?
Riding the spire down deserves more detail (I shoulda done that earlier), but basically, there was a lot of sliding versus free falling. The sliding slowed the descent considerably. The same sliding can not be expected to happen for the rest of the fall. Plus the spire's terminal velocity is much higher than Dragon's, so holding onto it would make him go faster than if he just jumped.

Quote:
perhaps Dong could position the car so that it will catch him as he falls?

Yes, and a car would be better than the ground, nonetheless a very slim chance of survival.

Quote:
The only idea I can think of is to use his DPTUAFE machine, and to jam it or set it to auto-explode (is that possible?).
Nope, the DPTUAFE has no explosive capabilities (except EMP, which wouldn't help much here).

You're thinking, but you're not investigating. What is the information that is missing here that would make this DP easier?
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know that he still has Dolly with him, and we know that the black suited guys are under the command of either Dolly's father directly or whoever commands him. Do they recognise her? If they do, do they show any concern at her safety, eg if Dragon threatens to drop her?

What's happening in the carnival? How many dolls did Dragon destroy and how many carried on as before? How well can he see it? If he is right above it, perhaps there might be some carnival floats or large inflated things he could drop on. Can he see anything like that?

Tea Cures All.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: float Reply with quote

Do they recognise her? If they do, do they show any concern at her safety, eg if Dragon threatens to drop her?
Threatening to drop the doll would buy you back the seconds you lost in making the threat because the black suits seem confused. Not only do they not care, they don't seem to see why they should care.

Quote:
What's happening in the carnival?
The carnival (actually it's a parade or procession, but close enough), is in total disarray. People are running for their lives, and policemen are helping them evacuate.

Quote:
How many dolls did Dragon destroy and how many carried on as before?
Dragon killed 67 (Dong counted for him), but there were many many more. It's a little toy army down there.

Quote:
How well can he see it?
Looking down is kind of unpleasant, it makes Dragon feel like he's falling already. However, from his height, he can see everyone scattering. Dong, who is also monitoring police radio bandwidths and news channels, quickly explains that most of the toys seem to have shut down, while others, the ones that look like Dolly, are crying green stuff and wandering aimlessly. Dragon also sees a lot of other interesting things, described in the next question's answer.

Quote:
If he is right above it, perhaps there might be some carnival floats or large inflated things he could drop on. Can he see anything like that?
Absolutely, the night parade is in total freak-out mode, letting go of dozens of large floating lanterns right below Dragon. One giant lantern is already halfway up the building and rising fast. It looks like an easy target, especially if it is given just a little more time to rise.

Good job Whitey! I'm so happy you asked that questions so precisely. The next chapter will be coming soon... gimme a couple of days. In the meantime, I can still answer questions for the mystery aspect. I also graciously accept any critiques, though you probably ought to put them in the critique section.
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*preens*

Well, I do my best.

So out of those 67 he killed, how many of them were the ones that look like Dolly?

Tea Cures All.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So out of those 67 he killed, how many of them were the ones that look like Dolly?
Only 2.

Still plotting the next chapter, be back soon!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is nothing to do with the mystery aspect, but isn't he going to get his ass burnt by dropping onto a floating lantern?

Anyway, just to say that the 4th chapter is much improved. I re-read it a couple of days ago but never got a moment to post. Glad some of the observations there helped. Still some niggly typos in there though, (particularly in the new bits! Wink ) but overall, much better.

Smile
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog wrote:
I know this is nothing to do with the mystery aspect, but isn't he going to get his ass burnt by dropping onto a floating lantern?
The lantern doesn't use fire, so no, he won't. The lights are more like Christmas lights and they float with helium, not like a hot air balloon.

Quote:
Still some niggly typos in there though
Aw nuts. I guess I better give it another look then.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lebrenth wrote:
Only 2.

Still plotting the next chapter, be back soon!

*Taps fingers* I don't know how much longer he can hang onto the tip of that spire - this has been a very long 60 seconds! Very Happy
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not whatyou would call a "split second" decision. Wink
Sugar Plum F
Tourist

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can he see any effect that the green goo is having on anything below, like melting the side walk, killing people, or something like that?
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: