Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Made in Taiwan - COMPLETE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ok! I've been very busy lately (believe me!) so I haven't had much time for writing, but I'm already halfway done with the next chapter, and I'm going to try to finish it today. Thanks for the harassment, though. Smile

Sugar Plum F wrote:
Can he see any effect that the green goo is having on anything below, like melting the side walk, killing people, or something like that?

Dragon observed no obvious effect, if you're referring to the green stuff coming out of the toys at the parade. If you're talking about the green goo from the vial, they observed it was a lethal drug-resistant bacteria mixed with inert proteins. You can read Chapter 3 "Info Dump" for more information.

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Chapter 5a: Descent Reply with quote

Chapter 5a: Descent
High above the frantic city streets, Dragon clung to the broken needle teetering over the edge. With limited options, even a swift evac by a helicopter would take too long, especially with the screw-faced men in black suits more than eager to push him over the edge. Looking down wasn’t very comfortable, but that was the only way he could have prepared for the unexpected salvation. The frantic people below released the large floating balloons from the Lantern Night Parade. The balloons climbed slowly but surely up to the broken needle. Instead of being drawn away by the wind, they were being trapped against the building, right where they needed to be.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” Dragon said to the black suits as they began to push the needle.

“Oh yeah? Why not?” said one of the black suits.

“Your boss will want to have a few words with me before he kills me. I know things he’ll be interested in.”

The black suits looked around for a moment, but were unconvinced. And it seemed they were in a rush.

“First of all, our old boss is dead. Second of all, shut your mouth and die like a man,” he said and they pushed together.

“Wait! Hold it guys!” Dragon said, but it was too late. He tried to stall them long enough to let the balloons get closer, but now the needle was sliding off the edge. There was barely any time left to jump off of it. With a powerful thrust, Dragon jumped off the needle in the direction of the closest balloon. It was still a long drop, and it felt a lot longer than it should be before he hit it.

The impact was terribly painful, knocking the wind out of him and nearly causing him to pass out. Still dazed and out of control, he rebounded and continued his fall. There was little he could do to guide himself toward the next balloon, so when he hit it, he was very off center. He rolled right off and dropped again, and smacked against the third and final balloon. Clawing for something to grab, he nonetheless rolled off of this one too. The last dangling rope of the last balloon was the only thing Dragon was able to hold onto. He was still hundreds of meters above the ground, and feeling weak from the impact of hitting the balloons.

The balloon he held onto began a slow descent. The wind pushed it around the building but kept it right over the street, preventing Dragon from finding a reasonable place to drop onto a tall building. The street below was packed with vehicles trying to get away from Taipei 101, where the explosion came from. With some difficulty, Dragon managed to put a knot in the rope to give him something to grip, while he waited to get to the ground. The helicopter meant to save him flew overhead. Dong said he was having a hard time explaining to the pilot where Dragon was.

Dragon wasn’t actually in a hurry. He needed to go home and get some rest… let someone else play super spy for a while. The humid breeze was relaxing and the slow passage over the city streets gave him a chance to think about things. What was this toy revolution about? Why toys? What was the green stuff supposed to be about? They weren’t really important questions, at least not to Dragon, but there were interesting.

However, someone with a machine gun didn’t feel like letting him drift along with his idle thoughts. The shots came from a car driving on the pedestrian part of the street. The shooter wasn’t very accurate, but close enough to rip holes through the balloon. Dragon fell helplessly, crashing through a tree and breaking its branches on the way. Finally Dragon smacked into the road. The DPTUAFE was smashed and shooting sparks, which he ignored while he tried to force himself to breathe. As the desperation for air grew, a black suit pistol whipped him and he blacked out.

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Chapter 5b: Awakened Within a Dream Reply with quote

Chapter 5b: Awakening into a Dream

Was it a dream of death or death’s dream of living? Dragon saw his life flashing before his eyes, every detail. He saw himself driving through the streets of Taibei, completely lost. He saw himself trip and knock out his tooth as a toddler. He saw the first woman he ever slept with. He saw that moment where he threw his martial arts trainer to the ground during a spar. Another of his father telling him he was forbidden to join the CIA. But though the order of the memories was not organized or chronological, the wandering thoughts and memories were not flowing like a dream. They were being ripped out, like a child ripping pages out of a book. Some of these “pages” were precious to him in a way he wouldn’t admit, and he wanted to hold onto them before they flitted away, but he was unable. He felt bound and paralyzed, unable to even close his eyes.

They all seemed so vivid, some of them more real than life. Then the memories stopped, though that restricting feeling remained. Something covered his eyes, but it was starting to move. It became lighter and lighter until he could see very clearly. It was a hospital.

He tried to move, but nothing would respond. It was like his entire body was dead. He could still look around though. At his side, he saw his father was looking at him. He tried to talk, but he couldn’t. Even his breathing seemed to not be his own, like it was being aided by some kind of machine. His father looked angry. It was hard to tell if he knew Dragon was looking at him. He didn’t react at all, but something in his eyes burned into Dragon’s soul.

A doctor entered the room, a short Chinese man who wore a grin like it was permanently fixed there. He smiled a little wider when he looked at Dragon.

“Awake? Are you ready to talk yet?” the doctor said. Dragon could not speak nor nod his head. “Let me inform you of what has happened,” he said as he flipped some switches on instruments just out of Dragon’s line of sight. “You have suffered severe injuries from your fall, and you might have been paralyzed or even killed, if we didn’t take action. You might remember signing waivers when you entered the service that gave us permission to use any technology we could to resuscitate you if you were severely injured. Well, we have had our work cut out for us, but I think you’ll be pleased with the results.”

“You care about no one but yourself,” his father said, catching Dragon’s attention and holding it, even while this important and worrying information was being given by the doctor.

“You should be able to move in a moment,” the doctor said. “It will take getting used to, but once we’ve recalibrated your body, you will learn very quickly. Please, Mr. uh… Dragon… try to speak.”

The first sounds were familiar in dentist offices, where clamps and numb mouths are common. They were just as unintelligible as well. Dragon persisted, eventually pronouncing words with an extreme speech impediment. His mind grew fuzzy, his eyes saw stars, and it seemed he was about to pass out again, but the doctor injected something into an IV.

“Keep trying Dragon. You’re getting there.”

“Waaatss mmmm- mm-y faaaa…. Mmy fadder…”

“Much better, keep going.”

After some pains, Dragon asked what his father was doing there. Doctor looked a little confused, and ignored the question, proceeding like a video game tutorial to get Dragon to look up and down and left and right…. It was getting easier, but slowly. Dragon sat up.

“What are you doing here?” Dragon asked his father.

“Dragon? Who are you talking to?” the doctor said. The father’s frown grew deeper. Dragon looked at the doctor closely.

“I think I’m hallucinating.”

“Ah, well it’s good you can recognize that it isn’t real. Just -–”

“You have turned your back on your family! You are a disgrace!” the father yelled simultaneously with whatever the doctor was saying. Dragon looked away.

“What have you done?” Dragon said in a business tone.

“We have replaced much of your biological body and replaced it with cybernetic enhancements. You are already well on your way to mastering your new body.”

Dragon continued to ignore the father who continued to disapprove of everything. He never moved, except speaking, but he would already be wherever Dragon was going. Once Dragon learned to walk, he was brought to a gym with all sorts of training equipment. Some of the equipment he couldn’t recognize. The doctor would give him instructions, starting with simple tasks, but eventually making unusual demands.

“Run through the wall,” the doctor said. Dragon still didn’t know his name, and the tone of his voice was getting more and more demanding.

“What?” Dragon asked.

“Run through this wall!” the doctor said more insistently and pointed to a white wall about 3 meters squared that was about 20 centimeters thick. The father stood up, moving for the first time, and stood between Dragon and the wall.

“Son, please do not do this,” Dragon’s father said. Dragon was still convinced he was a hallucination, and felt this would be a perfect opportunity to prove it. He ran toward the wall, and faster than he had ever run before. There was unbelievable strength now! He felt he really could break through the wall!

The father was crushed into the wall before he vanished, and the blur of the crashing wall followed after. Dragon stood on the other side of the wall, victorious. The wall crumbled. He felt incredible, unstoppable! He knew the CIA were holding out on him.

“Very good,” the doctor said with his fixed smile. “I believe it’s time for weapons training.”

Dragon looked at himself. Though he punched through the wall, it was not without damage. His skin was gashed open, exposing the machinery inside. They didn’t merely enhance, they replaced! There was no blood from his torn skin, and nothing suggesting he was alive underneath.

“Initiate flamethrower. Finish destroying the wall,” the doctor said. But Dragon’s compliance no longer seemed necessary. The flamethrower emerged from the inside of his wrist and he immediately set fire to the wall. Some part of Dragon was worried that in the process, he was setting fire to his father.

“Excellent response time,” the doctor said to himself. He pulled out some kind of remote and with a click, Dragon blacked out again.

Though time had passed, it felt like an instant to Dragon. He awoke with a gasp. He was not in a hospital anymore. He was now in something that looked very much like a prison cell. A dim light flickered above, and it was the only light. He seemed to be somewhere deep, as it was not only dark but somewhat cold. A neglected cement prison, that looked utterly empty.

“Are you awake?” a voice asked.

“Who is there?” Dragon asked, shaking his head and stretching. It felt like he hadn’t moved in weeks, but he felt like himself again, not like a robot.

“My name is Steven Child. I was the director of the American Institute in Taiwan. Please tell me who you are!”

“My name is Chen Teng-Hui…. You said you’re the director? What happened? You get kidnapped again?”

“No, I was never rescued. You must be talking about the robot.”

‘Chen’ looked at his arm, near where the flamethrower came out in his dream… it must have been a dream, a messed up one. There certainly wasn’t going to be any flames leaping out of him now.

“Where are you?” Dragon asked.

“I’m your next door cell neighbor,” he said as a hand waved from around the wall separating cells and just passed the bars that kept Dragon in. Dragon stood up and walked to the corner… he was very wobbly.

“What robot?”

“My double. I believe he’s taken my place as director. I imagine they aren’t even looking for me anymore.”

Dragon sighed.

“I wish I could still run through walls,” he said, mostly to himself.

“Me too,” Steven said. “Listen, I don’t think we’re getting out of here any time soon, but sooner or later someone is bound to notice our doubles.”

Our doubles?”

“Yeah, you have one too. That’s the only reason you’re here. For some reason they need us alive or the doubles don’t work.”

“That’s weird. Don’t worry, I’ll get us out of here,” Dragon said. He put his finger to his ear. “Dong!”

… There was no response. ‘Damn, they’re good,’ Dragon thought to himself. They even found the transceiver in his ear. Apparently they took all of his stuff. He didn’t even have his own clothes, just some plain grey uniform that didn’t even have pockets.

Nowhere to go and nothing to work with… Dragon prepared himself for waiting for an opportunity… anything!

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Chapter 5c: Mirror Match Reply with quote

Chapter 5c: Mirror Match

The director told Dragon everything he knew… which was very little. Many of the robots seemed to have copies of real people’s psyche, but required the host to remain alive. The director had considered suicide many times, but there weren’t many options. There wasn’t even a sheet to hang himself with. He had resigned himself to waiting for help to come.

Meals were given by the toys. Dolly, who had been restored with stitches and a new wig, enjoyed bringing food to Dragon, and shocking him with her new taser gun if he gave her any trouble… or if she was in the mood. After a few days, Dragon still didn’t have a good plan, but he was regaining his strength quickly.

Then, after sleeping a few hours, he awoke to the sound of the cell door opening. There was no one there, but there it was. Dragon wasted no time, he rushed out of the cell. Steven Child was no longer in the next cell… his cell was empty, the door locked. Lines marked the estimated days of captivity, but besides noting there were ‘a lot’, he wasted no time counting. He ran through the dark corridor, checking several doors on the way, but they were locked.

Then a door opened for him, quite easily, and there was bright light within, blinding him. Someone grabbed him and threw him into the room with great force. The whole place was padded, except for a large mirror on one wall, so the landing didn’t hurt.

“Welcome, Mr. Shawn Lee,” said a voice over an intercom. It sounded like the doctor from the dream.

The one who threw Dragon into the room appeared to be himself. Standing up, Dragon looked at his robot double. He looked good, much better than he did himself. He was identical to the way Dragon liked to look, from the designer sunglasses to the cool white suit with a blue shirt. The robot looked at Dragon with contempt as he walked up. The robot moved the same too. He punched Dragon, which was also the same, except faster and harder.

“I wanted you to see my latest creation, Mr. Lee. As you can see, it’s you. A new and improved you,” the voice said. Dragon was nearly knocked out by the blow, but he prepared to fight. He made the first move with a jump kick, but he was swatted midair and thrown onto the ground.

“I thought it would be an honor to meet you,” the robot said with the same voice as Dragon. “I am very disappointed in what I see.”

“You may look like me and sound like me, but your nothing more than a robot,” Dragon said defiantly. He really hated this robot for stealing his style, never mind the ass kicking.

“I’m everything you are and more. The doctor gave me power the CIA could never give.”

“Oh yeah? I could beat you at a bleeding contest any day.”

“I believe you. You’re doing it so well already,” the robot responded, referring to Dragon’s bloody nose.

“So what now? You’re going to take orders from some toy maker?”

“How is it any different than taking orders from the CIA? Plus I get the toys I want,” the robot said as a long blade extended from his forearm, “instead of the toys they want me to test.”

“Ok, you got me there,” Dragon said.

“Careful Black Dragon, you know what happens if you kill him,” the doctor said over the intercom.

“He’s a mess!” the robot said toward the corner of the room, “I hate that I used to be you, but all I can do is teach you a little lesson in humility,” the robot said to Dragon. He grappled with Dragon, and his strength, speed, and intimate knowledge of tactics made certain that Dragon took every blow and landed none of his own. He threw Dragon down, and though it hurt his pride to run, there was no fighting this robot. Dragon ran for the door… which of course was locked.

“I think there’s still a little fun left in you,” the robot said as he grabbed Dragon and lifted him by his grey uniform. “You know, I think you could use a little scar to help distinguish us apart. What do you think?” the robot said, his long blade poised to strike.

DP: Ask questions to find the information Dragon needs to help him. Please list your questions explicitly.

Click here for inventory and synopsis... such as it is.

Last edited by Lebrenth on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this is a tough situation, even though Dragon doesn't seem to be at risk of dying. But I enjoyed the story and the twist leading up to it.

Is Black Dragon seeing his Father right now?

Is Dragon always able to share a mental link with his double when he sleeps?

What is behind the mirror? Is it hiding the doctor?

Can we shatter the mirror and throw the shards of glass at black dragon?

How bright is the light inside the padded window? Are black dragon's shades offering protection?

Is the CIA looking for Dragon, or do they think he is dead?

Is it possible to get black dragon to run at you and then through the wall when you move out of the way?
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that Black Dragon is not at risk of dying - it appears that his double can now work without him - it is, after all, a new and improved version. Enjoyable chapter there, Lebby. Spotted a tense-shift right after Dragon gets introduced to the Doctor's new creation, for a sentence or two. Wink

On with the questions...

Were all the other cells empty, too?

Are Dragon and the robot alone in the padded room?

Is the door shut?

Are there any other objects in the room?
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog wrote:
I'm not sure that Black Dragon is not at risk of dying - it appears that his double can now work without him - it is, after all, a new and improved version.

Well, I assumed from this comment that the doctor wants Dragon alive:

Quote:
“Careful Black Dragon, you know what happens if you kill him,” the doctor said over the intercom.

But it does beg the question: What does happen if Dragon dies?
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I didn't pick up on that. I was under the impression that only one of the human and the double could be conscious at any one time, since his consciousness was taken from him and placed in the robot, and afterwards it continued in the cell. I thought that this 'newest creation' was an enhanced version that worked independently of the person it was created from.

So that'd be my next question - how are the two linked? Why can one not survive without the other?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lotus wrote:
But I enjoyed the story and the twist leading up to it.

Glad to hear it D! Thanks for keeping up with the story.

Quote:
Is Black Dragon seeing his Father right now?

No, he hasn't seen his father since he was smashed into the wall.

Quote:
Is Dragon always able to share a mental link with his double when he sleeps?

Dragon had slept since, and does not recall any dreams or visions that relate to the robot. He mostly dreamed about California Beaches, and not being in jail.

Quote:
What is behind the mirror? Is it hiding the doctor?

Hard to say, it does seem to be a magic mirror (you know, like interrogation rooms where you can see through it from the other side), but what is behind it, if anything, is currently unknown.

Quote:
Can we shatter the mirror and throw the shards of glass at black dragon?

The mirror is plexiglass so it would be very difficult to break. How does Dragon know it's plexiglass? Let's just say it's spy intuition.

Quote:
How bright is the light inside the padded window? Are black dragon's shades offering protection?

You mean the padded room? It's quite bright. Knocking the sunglasses off of the robot might blind him at least temporarily. Dragon would definitely try it. Anyway, he knows it will tick the robot off, so he's all for it. He's likely to do this, regardless of whatever else he does. Smile

Quote:
Is the CIA looking for Dragon, or do they think he is dead?

Dragon has no clear idea whether they think he's dead, but whether he is or not the CIA are definitely interested in recovering him. Even just his body would be something they wanted secure but they're also interested in the gadgets he has.

Quote:
Is it possible to get black dragon to run at you and then through the wall when you move out of the way?

The robot's body is heavier so it's harder to slow down, but you'd have to get the robot really angry to exert himself. So far, he's been very casual, like he has all the time in the world since Dragon can't escape the room.

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog wrote:
Spotted a tense-shift right after Dragon gets introduced to the Doctor's new creation, for a sentence or two. Wink

Thanks! I always have such trouble with that. If that's all that stood out though, I feel pretty good! Smile

Quote:
Were all the other cells empty, too?

The whole room, which wasn't as immense as a proper prison in the first place, was only lit by a single flickering bulb. It was enough for Dragon to see that the director was gone, but he couldn't see anything else. Nor did he hear anyone else. He didn't call out since he didn't want to draw attention to himself.

Quote:
Are Dragon and the robot alone in the padded room?

Yes. The doctor's voice is heard from a speaker in the ceiling and there are two cameras as well as the magic mirror where the doctor may be observing, but there's definitely no one else in the room.

Quote:
Is the door shut?

Yes, and locked. Presumably the robot shut it.

Quote:
Are there any other objects in the room?

It's quite bare. Taking the cameras and bright halogen lights into consideration as well, everything in the room has been described. Also, to give you a sense of scale, the room is about 8 meters cubed, which seems quite large for a padded cell.

Quote:
how are the two linked? Why can one not survive without the other?

The director is the source of this notion. He claims a walking stuffed bear told him when he was being fed that the source needs to be preserved. He hasn't seen that bear since. He was a robot, of course, but the director believes it's true. Supposedly multiple copies can act independently without any link at all, but mysteriously die if the source dies. It's very metaphysical.

Mastermind
Citizen

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Robot Dragon have any gadgets?

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the SG Mastermind. Very pleased to have you join. Smile

Mastermind wrote:
Does the Robot Dragon have any gadgets?

Besides cool robot gadgets of his own (which are built in and inaccessible), the robot appears to have most of Dragon's gadgets. He definitely doesn't have the DPTUAFE, which was destroyed in the fall, and the signal compass which was previous connected to Dolly.

Sugar Plum F
Tourist

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the robot is there anything visibly different from Dragon? Like a little hatch in the back of his neck or something?

Did the director talk to Dragon anymore than mentioned in the chapter? Did the director have any other ideas how the robots worked, where they were being held, or who was behind all this?

Can Dragon try to taunt info out of the robot?

Does the robot respond to any emotional comments? You know, like insulting his mom or something? Dragon could easily get the robot mad if that were the case because he knows exactly what would make himself angry.

Can he try to get answers out of the doctor who is watching while he's trying to evade getting maimed for life?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugar Plum F wrote:
Looking at the robot is there anything visibly different from Dragon? Like a little hatch in the back of his neck or something?

The robot looks absolutely identical when it chooses to be. Right now there's a big blade coming out of his forearm, but when retracted it doesn't even have a seam hinting that anything was hidden there.

Quote:
Did the director talk to Dragon anymore than mentioned in the chapter?

Yes, they had a long discussion over the course of two days. The details of most of what was said were irrelevant, or at least that's how Dragon felt about it. Mostly it was talk about where they came from, what kind of food they liked, and which actresses they thought were the hottest.

Quote:
Did the director have any other ideas how the robots worked, where they were being held, or who was behind all this?

What little information he has, he got out of a talkative toy. He hasn't seen the "Doctor" or "Daddy" even once. He assumes there's a political motive, but that's as far as his speculation takes him.

Quote:
Can Dragon try to taunt info out of the robot?

Dragon is very tempermental, so yes, taunting could be effective. The robot will be expecting that kind of tactic, but that isn't enough to prevent its success.

Quote:
Does the robot respond to any emotional comments? You know, like insulting his mom or something? Dragon could easily get the robot mad if that were the case because he knows exactly what would make himself angry.

I'm taking this option to the poll. Dragon feels confident he can get under the robot's skin, so to speak. The robot is definitely cocky (just like Dragon), so he may feel it's safe to unravel the plot. The problem here is that maybe it IS safe to let a few secrets out, since there doesn't seem to be an escape for Dragon.

Quote:
Can he try to get answers out of the doctor who is watching while he's trying to evade getting maimed for life?

Very unlikely. There isn't any leverage, since the doctor isn't even present. The doctor may gloat and let a few details slip, but for the most part he's very careful. Outside of a few cryptic clues, you probably won't get anything out of him.

D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there going to be a poll?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lotus wrote:
Is there going to be a poll?

Yes. Good question.

So the poll options so far are:

Try to get the robot to run through a wall.

Taunt the robot to try to get information out of him.

... And I suppose that's it. Any other suggestions or questions? I'll leave this DP open for a few days before we take it to poll.

Mastermind
Citizen

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Dragon steal the laser pen from the robot? And just how powerful is the laser?

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mastermind wrote:
Can Dragon steal the laser pen from the robot?

Yes. Dragon feels confident that he can successfully steal any one gadget from the robot (he knows exactly where they are after all). The DPTUAFE and the inner ear communicator are exceptions since the DPTUAFE was destroyed and whether or not the robot has the communicator, it isn't removeable without some special instrument. The signal compass is also not available.

Quote:
And just how powerful is the laser?

It's adjustable! It can be used as a typical laser pointer or you can exhaust the battery for one large blast (that has a 20% chance of causing the pen to blow up). The large blast is estimated to make a hole the size of a fist in concrete, penetrating about 4 inches.

I'll add this option to the poll.

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I better put up a poll and quick! Questions will still be answered, but the DP is now limited to the current poll options. No turning back now!

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think steeling the laser pen is far more sensible, perhaps taunting the robot would be much more fun. Very Happy

And voted!
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
While I think steeling the laser pen is far more sensible, perhaps taunting the robot would be much more fun.

Agreed
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this next chapter has been under construction for so long, I thought I'd send along a little help. Razz

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement! I've been hectically busy lately, but I'll pull it together soon.... I'm setting a deadline for myself for next Wednesday. I'll make it happen.

Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo... cool! This IS still going. Ok, I'll come along and catch up soon (I hope). I did like this one. Nice to see ya back Lebby!

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to have you, I'll make to pick up the story again....

BY THE WAY, by "next Wednesday" I did not mean today. That's just how hectic it is right now, I can't keep track of the day of the week. June 16 is my personal deadline. In the meantime, please direct any questions you may have to Bob and he'll make certain you're given some kind of answer.

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Chapter 6: Robots Can't Laugh Reply with quote

Chapter 6: Robots Can’t Laugh

Dragon laughed in the robot’s face. The robot took everything, his face, his gadgets, his sunglasses, even his name (with heavy emphasis on "Black" instead of "Dragon")… but apparently what the robot Black Dragon didn’t take was Dragon’s sense of humor. Even as the metal hand clenched his throat and his laughter was reduced to choking, Dragon kept looking at his double like the robot was wearing underwear on his head. Locked together in the padded room, there was no escape and against such an enemy, a machine with the mind of a person, there was no way to fight. Nonetheless, Dragon laughed and Black Dragon was not amused.

“Black Dragon!” the voice called on the intercom, the voice of ‘Daddy’. “He’s your source! Drop him!”

“I don’t need him!” The robot replied, and he continued to strangle Dragon. It was like Black’s programming was caught in an endless loop and the only exit was Dragon’s death. Dragon knocked off Black’s sunglasses, momentarily blinding him, but it didn’t matter, Black didn’t need to see to kill.

Then suddenly the grip loosened and Dragon dropped to the ground sputtering and gasping. Black went limp and fell onto Dragon like a sack of bricks. Dragon rolled Black off of him, but didn’t even get a chance to stand up before Black came back online and seized Dragon again amidst more raucous laughter.

“Daddy has you on a short leash hasn’t he? So what kind of toys does he get you? Chew toys?”

“Maybe we should see what kind of witty retorts you have to say after I rip off your jaw,” Black said angrily.

“I don’t think so. You’re really helpless aren’t you? For a second there I honestly envied you for your powerful new body, but you’re really just someone else’s toy.”

“Stun him and bring him back to his cell, Black,” Daddy said bluntly. “There’s no need for this. You’ll have your revenge soon, remember?”

“Revenge? On who?” Dragon asked indignantly and obliviously. He really didn’t know who.

“Don’t pretend you don’t remember what they did!” Black said.

“Seriously, I think this is something I have a right to know. If we have a vendetta against someone I want to know the details… or do you need to ask Daddy’s permission?”

“Don’t answer that, Black. He’s just trying to upset you.”

“Quiet old man!” Black yelled, and his eyes became furious as they dug for answers on Dragon’s face. He watched Dragon’s every move and waited for his reaction. “The CIA assassinated my family.”

Dragon laughed with genuine entertainment. It was definitely not what Black was expecting, nor was it what Dragon was expecting. Quite simply, it wasn't true.

“First of all, you have no family, you’re a damn machine. Secondly, you have no emotions, you’re a damn machine. And thirdly, you can’t kill me so you might as well let me go.”

Black thrust the arm blade toward Dragon, but Dragon didn’t move; he knew he didn’t have to. Daddy stopped him again. Soon Black rebooted and tried to attack once more, and he was stopped once more.

“Maybe I can’t kill you, but I can kill them,” Black uttered his threat with absolute conviction. “Whether they killed my family or not, I’m going to kill them all. And the real beauty of it is they’ll think it was you.”

“That’s it huh? Go into the secret headquarters and kill everyone?” Dragon asked with his arms folded casually. Black was crouched as though his strength wasn’t fully restored.

“Yeah, that’s it, and after everyone is dead who even knows who you are, it won’t be a war. It will be a silent takeover, as we replace them all one by one. That’s what you wanted to know, right? The big plot? Too bad you won’t ever get the chance to tell anyone.”

“Black,” said the intercom voice in its fatherly tone, “it’s apparent from our little test that you need a few adjustments. It was a mistake to let you meet your original. I think we best erase this incident from your memory. Too bad it’s not so simple for you, Mr. Lee. I’m afraid you’ve guaranteed your stay here for a long time. Black, take him to his cell.”

Black’s faculties returned to him, but his personality was gone. He grappled Dragon again and pulled him out of the room. While walking, Dragon tried to reason with the robot, hoping there was some thread of humanity in him that could be exploited. The robot said nothing, and did his job perfunctorily. He left the same way, but Dragon didn’t mind. It would be better if the robot wasn’t around when Dragon took inventory of what he stole back.

It wasn’t precisely the plan at first, but when the robot shut down, how could Dragon pass on the opportunity to retrieve a little something? There’s no way he could have gotten away with it if the thing wasn’t off, but since its senses where totally dead, Dragon stole a gadget every time the robot went offline and promptly stuffed the gadgets in his pants.

Dragon knew what he wanted and where it was kept, so the first thing he grabbed was the laser pen. Once he got used to the idea that he could turn off the robot each time he got carried away, he went for the qikpik. Finally he retrieved the cyanide cufflinks, because they were small and easy to conceal… and they might be the only way out. He only gave them a moment’s thought before he blasted the light bulb with the laser pen. Next he qikpik’ed the lock and began his escape.

The night vision lenses would have been handy … or the x-ray goggles…. He cursed himself for taking the stupid cufflinks as he opened a door into a closet and stepped into a mop bucket. He took the handle of the mop for a weapon, and tried another door. This one led to a corridor lined with all sorts of pipes. It gave him the feeling he was underground, which would also account for the coldness. There were a lot more corridors to follow, but he didn’t get much farther before he heard the heavy clanking of metal on metal and spied an unsheathed robot around the next turn; unsheathed as in a robot without skin that looked like the Terminator.

If he knew these robots well enough, he knew the element of surprise wouldn’t count for much. He would just move on, but what was it guarding? A way out perhaps? Dragon thought it was too bad he wasn’t dressed like himself or he might just try walking out and bluffing his way through. He had one chance with a full power blast with the laser pen… it might be strong enough to take the robot out. One way or the other, it would be the last blast the pen would ever make. It was time for a headshot.

Dragon stepped forward into the corridor. The robot was immediately alerted and red lights oscillated throughout the facility. The robot ran forward as Dragon trained the red dot on its left eye. He pressed the button as deep as it could go. The laser charged and then there was a blinding flash and a loud crash. Dragon dropped the mangled burning hot pen and walked over the collapsed robot.

The door the robot was guarding unlocks and opens into a fairly wide room full of crates and canisters and it has many windows… not windows looking into other rooms, or outside, but thick glassed windows revealing a little more information about Dragon’s location. Dragon stared in disbelief into the dark water. Other areas of the large facility and some of the sea floor were illuminated by a few lights, but mostly it was dark. A hammerhead shark swam by as though expecting treats and then disappeared from view.

This wasn’t going to be an easy escape! One can’t just swim out of an underwater facility, unless one has scuba gear or perhaps an amphibious mask (stupid cyanide pills!). He ran back to the door he came from and locked it…. It suddenly made more sense why it was such a heavy door! After jamming the turn wheel with the mop handle, he started looking for options.

The red lights continued to remind everyone that Dragon was on the loose, so the time is limited. There’s nowhere to hide and this is the end of the line, so there’s no more running. However there does seem to be at least one way to get away. This would be in the form of a small yellow submersible that can be seen through the windows. It is docked but the door is locked by some mechanism that can’t simply be picked. It is likely that the nearby control station will unlock it, but it requires a special access key that the qikpik can not replicate.

The wide room has numerous sealed canisters with biohazard symbols and the large crates seemed to have robotic parts. There is a pool that leads into the open shark-patrolled water, but it is quite clear that simply trying to swim to the surface will end in a severe case of death.

DP: DP: How does Dragon escape? Remember that vital information is missing, so ask questions (please make them direct questions in list form)

Click here for inventory and synopsis

D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imm not getting a totally clear picture yet. Where exactly is this control station in relation to the room, the swimming pool, etc? Is the control station behind a locked door, if so what kind of door? Is there any robot part with a hammer, saw, laser, or any other tool necessary to break through a door?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lotus wrote:
Where exactly is this control station in relation to the room, the swimming pool, etc?

We'll establish an artificial north, which is the direction Dragon was facing the moment he entered the door to the room. In that case, there are windows on the west and east walls. The submersible and the locked door that it is docked to is west. There is a door to the east as well, as though two submersibles could be docked simultaneously. The control station is not a separate room, but simply a collection of consoles near the west wall and just north of the submersible. The swimming pool, or landing bay as you might call it, is the farthest north.

Quote:
Is the control station behind a locked door, if so what kind of door?

No door. The control station is locked in the sense that you can not use it without a key. The key is not a typical metal key, but a complex electronic key that would be about 3 inches wide. The DPTUAFE would probably be able to hack it if it wasn't destroyed and stolen.

Quote:
Is there any robot part with a hammer, saw, laser, or any other tool necessary to break through a door?
There are many interesting tools in the crates, including lasers and saws, but they won't work without a power source. There are no batteries and certainly no simple ways to hook them up to the facilities power. There are hammer-like objects which would serve the same purpose, as well as crowbar-like pieces of metal. However, the locked dock door is a heavy metal door that can take a lot of abuse. The mechanism holding the door shut will not give up easily either.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Pologies for not getting here sooner - it's been a busy week. Nice instalment, although it seems that anihillating the robot with the laser pen caused a time-quake resulting in tense-shift oscillation between past and present. Razz

So, we've learned that Dragon is indispensible, which means that the cyanide pills could come in handy later on, after all. Very Happy

What do the sealed canisters with biohazard signs on them contain? Is there more information about them on closer examination? I'm thinking along the lines of using what there is in the room to create a power source. We have metal, we have water, which all help to make electrical circuits.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRR! Dumb tenses! It's another reason I prefer present tense to past tense narration. I keep switching to present anyway, why did I give it up? Anyway, thanks for jumping in, sorry for the long delay.

Crunchyfrog wrote:
What do the sealed canisters with biohazard signs on them contain?

It looks like the green goo found earlier that had dangerous bacteria in it, but it would require testing to be sure. Supposedly it isn't very easy to transmit, so opening the canister was probably not too unsafe.

Quote:
Is there more information about them on closer examination?

Not really. Aside from the biohazard symbols, there are no markings at all.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green goo might also be what powers the robots, since they're all full of it. Can the canisters be easily opened?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog wrote:
Can the canisters be easily opened?

Yup

D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Dragon build some sort of rudimentary mechanical swim suit/ scuba diving outfit by using robot parts and fueling them with goo? Maybe all he needs is a flare one can use underwater in order to frighten the sharks away plus some breathing device with oxygen inside it.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lotus wrote:
Can Dragon build some sort of rudimentary mechanical swim suit/ scuba diving outfit by using robot parts and fueling them with goo?
The robots seem to be battery powered and for some reason there are no batteries here. Making a crude scuba diving outfit could almost work by stretching a plastic dolls head over his own head and using the compact oxygen tanks for the welding torches. However, the oxygen tanks for the welding torches are pure oxygen. Without the proper mixture of nitrogen, breathing it would cause him to pass out.

There's definitely not any nitrogen tanks, and even if there was, he wouldn't know the proper mixture. It's too bad really, since I find the doll's head scuba mask to be a really fun idea.

EDIT: After doing some research I've learned a whole bunch about breathing pure oxygen, decompression sickness, and oxygen toxicity. Though highly dangerous, it is certainly possible. The sort of things that can happen to a person in a high pressure environment breathing pure oxygen is very frightening. It's also frightening what can happen to someone who tries to decompress too quickly. Interestingly, the use of pure oxygen will actually aid in decompression, since it flushes out other gases that get trapped in body tissue and expand when pressure is released. However, at high pressure, oxygen becomes toxic in such a way that being burned alive sounds like a favorable death.

I've also considered the fact that Dragon would have scuba training as part of his training for the aquatic lung gadget, so he would know most of this stuff (including the proper mixtures, the rate that he is allowed to rise to the surface, and how long he can breathe pure oxygen). I'm pushing this idea into risky plausibility, and if we can't find a better solution, this is the one we'll use. Three cheers for the doll's head scuba suit!

D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about spilling the biohazard into the water and hoping that it will kill all of the sharks?

Im running out of ideas.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lotus wrote:
what about spilling the biohazard into the water and hoping that it will kill all of the sharks?

Im running out of ideas.

The biohazard stuff, if it is the same as the green goo from earlier in the story, doesn't act instantly. Also salt water isn't very kind to it. It simply won't work soon enough. Also, there appears to be only one shark, though maybe there are more lurking about.

I'm going to post the next chapter Monday, so if anyone has any ideas or questions, try to get them in soon!

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other alternative I can think of is to use the green goo to make some sort of rudimentary battery to power the tools, to either

a) cut through the door to the sub, or

b) cut through the outer shell of the control panel until the necessary wiring is exposed - then do some jiggery-pokery with the wires to make the door open.

Not such a cool idea as the doll's head scuba gear, and it'd be a shame to waste all that research, but hey, it's an option!

Smile
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love the term "jiggery-pokery", the control panel is too sophisticated for Dragon with the short time he has. Also, sorry to say, the green goo can not be used as a battery.

The objective of the game is to dig up new information through questions, so if it seems you're lacking the information to draw a conclusion, you're right.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, of course.

So.... what affect would the cyanide tablets have on the green goo?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog wrote:
So.... what affect would the cyanide tablets have on the green goo?

Dragon doesn't know, but probably no effect.

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: