Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
A Short Story

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lady of the Shadows
Resident

Topics: 4
Location: In the Valley of Shadows...Not such a bad place to be.

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: A Short Story Reply with quote

~~Apologies for sentiment. I just felt like writing something again =)~~

It was dark. It was cold. And she was filled with an unexplained loneliness she was finding difficult to bear. The feeling pressed down on her lungs, unshed tears blocking her throat. She was feeling the need to do something, to make people remember who she was. She wanted to feel important. She had not returned to that place for a long time, and undoubtedly, there would be no one left who would remember her. But she wished there was. This loneliness wanted someone to miss her. She sat down at the table, ran her fingers along its roughly cut oak. She sighed as she reached for a paper and quill, the hood of her deep crimson cloak falling over her face. She neatly arranged her equipment, picked up the quill and dipped it into the inkwell. And yet, she hesitated. She was unsure of her actions, could not decide whether they were foolish. Pushing away the doubts tugging at her thoughts, she put quill to paper.

Dear old friends,

I hope at least a few of you are still there, so that there is someone who will receive this and understand who I am. I don’t really know what to say in this letter. It’s just that nostalgia and something else has overcome me, and though I cannot return, I often find myself yearning for the days of before, the days I enjoyed with you all. Before I knew it, I had found myself writing this letter. Perhaps the idea was foolish. So why can’t I stop writing? I have found myself often taking up my quill, and simply sitting at my table, staring into nothing. Then I would put it away once again, and resume my activities with a feeling similar to remorse. Similar again to what I am feeling now that is compelling me to make my pen move. But I digress. I considered delivering a message elsewhere, but found it impractical. Let me say this. There is nothing I miss more than those days, and that place to which I cannot return. I suppose it makes my life sad, if it does not prevent me from dwelling on the past, and I will admit that without that place I feel that something is missing. But it is time to move forward, and though I will think of you often, I doubt if I should contact you again. Perhaps I will even visit, but I will not step forth into the light where I can be seen– I will lurk in the shadows, watching, and remembering times gone by. The dark is light enough. And like I said, I will walk away, walk forward and smile at both sun and shadow without looking back. I will hold you forever in my heart, but look at it as a page of my life that I have read over and over, a page that is in only the second chapter of many more to come.

So farewell. Go with your fate, but not beyond. Beyond leads to dark places.

Sincere Regards,

She hesitated before writing the last word. She is known by so many names, or at least, she was. Who is to say anyone will even know any of them anymore. For a few precious minutes she was lost to her memory. But then, her decision made, she once again filled her quill with ink and wrote, ever mysterious,

I who live in the shadows.

She stood up, folded her letter, and carefully placed it in an envelope which she had addressed long ago, but never used. Gently, she placed her lips of the envelope and whispered one simple yet final word. Her boots gently tapped the hard floor as she walked. Without stopping to think of her actions, she tossed the envelope into the fire and watched until the only evidence of her letter’s existence was ash and a single memory.
Once again she whispered, this time to herself,

“Goodbye.”

~~Lots of Love,
Lady of the Shadows~~

If you look long and hard into the deep of the abyss, you will find me. In the last rays of the lingering sun, you will find me. But I will not return to you yet.
Emperor
Citizen

Topics: 29

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A Short Story Reply with quote

Lady of the Shadows wrote:

And she was filled with an unexplained loneliness she was finding difficult to bear. The feeling pressed down on her lungs, unshed tears blocking her throat.

This loneliness wanted someone to miss her. She sat down at the table, ran her fingers along its roughly cut oak.

There is nothing I miss more than those days, and that place to which I cannot return.

I will lurk in the shadows, watching, and remembering times gone by. The dark is light enough.

So farewell. Go with your fate, but not beyond. Beyond leads to dark places.

Beautifully written, lovely imagery. I surely can relate to the sentiment all apologies aside.
crazybookgal
Citizen

Topics: 12

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delicate and wonderful...I didn't mind the sentiment-it was nice.
Quite beautiful Lady, quite beautiful...
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: