Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Dragonites Blog: I speak freely here and you respond.

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> City Central -> Open Forum -> Open Forum Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Dragonite
Resident

Topics: 11

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Dragonites Blog: I speak freely here and you respond. Reply with quote

Homework

Some days I get real pissed off at homework. Like we learn all the shit at school...WHY must we take sheets of paper home to work on if we already did it? Plus the extra weight in our bags can cause serious back injury,

And also the tree's used to make the paper... Teachers and TV are encouraging us to "Take care of the planet" and "Plant more trees". And the more home work we get given guess what? More trees are getting cut down! Why? SO WE CAN LEARN WHAT WE ALREADY KNOW. Homework is bullshit. It takes up time.

Ads on TV tell us to get out and be active but Oh No guess what? Homework is keeping us in for hours. If homework was gone everyone would be more healthy. Homework is evil. It tears peoples good health apart and replaces it with sickness cos of the lack of sunshine and exercise. I say we should work on getting homework banned and you will watch the Earth rapidly change from anxious and said to vibrant and healthy
I am a purple experiment, i have dark green eyes and i look like Stitch. I have four arms, antennae and my powers are, lifting 10000x my own weight, bulletproof, fireproof, shockproof, plasmaproof, i can control the elements and i can change my fur and eye color to look like Stitch.

I AM NOW A L&S FANATIC! =D

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
(")_(")into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad! I should agree, but I also disagree, with homework, like projects you get marked on it, even your home work in the last year of school gets graded and also two years ago's stuff. so you have to have a complete profile for school. Hope that helps. since I'm in college I have to have a completed POE file Portfolio of evidence, and then that gets marked and then we're seen as being competent or non competent... have fun with school Draggy.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a curious logic to that one, haha!

Moved this thread to the Open Forum.

Smile

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The film making busyness also uses alot of paper. Script breakdowns, more script breakdown, the accounting and palariod photos. Also when flyers is to be made for various businesses. Authors also uses paper, but that can be usefull, but then the circle starts with film making busyness again, and even more flyers and posters. So there is a valid point, but without papers, poeple wouldn't be reading or writing today.
Phang
Elder

Topics: 25

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paper comes from trees cut down by big burly Swedish lumberjacks. Then the tree fairy comes along and replants all the seeds for the trees lost, meaning there will be trees for the big burly Swedish lumberjacks of tomorrow.

~Some card.
Geek_girl72
Respected Citizen

Topics: 31

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former education major, I think I can shed some light on the excessive homework issue:

It's a combination of state practices and conflicting philosophies. As for sate practice, an incrimental system is in place that requires teachers to go over previous year's information, I think the logic on this is derived from statistics of how much information the typical student retains over summer vacation. The second issue is philosophy on teaching. A simple version is that one view point is that Homework gives the students a chance to boost their grade, since it covers things they mostly know, another is that if student's aren't pushed they don't reach their potential, a third is that homework is purely evaluative and shouldn't be graded, but just used to determine where the class is and which student's may need additional instruction. The trouble comes in when each of these phillosophies get mixed together in a particualr school, and are also confronted with state standards they are required by law to reach, plus the fact that teachers are constantly being evaluated themselves, if they don't have tennure they have little job security, and they need evidence that they are doing all they can.

I hope that helps.

Whodunnit?On hold till further notice
I Don't Believe in Fate: Chapter 13 is now released
Lost n' Spacey On hold till Further Notice

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
(")_(")into your signature to help him gain world domination.
BStheGreat
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do what I did when I was in high school... don't do it. If I couldn't get it done during class, it didn't get done. Homework is usually only like %10 of your grade, assuming that you are able to do at least some of it in class, and you are smart enough to ace everything else, then you should still be able to get an A. Just don't use my philosophy for big projects too... this dropped my from an A to a D in one class.

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actaully homework is 25% of your grade in year 13 or grade 12, So you better stick to it. Look I also didn't do homework as often, but I got it done, usually poeple wrote from my books home work, to get things done in time, but they laugh because most of it is incorrect. So I'm just saying when I came into college I did all my homework and then I became a 85% student where I was only in highschool an average student jealous of poeple who do better than me, but jealousy never did anything to me, so I sya do your home work where you can, make an real good excuse where you can't do it. "My vacuum cleaner sucked up my homework." ~my momorable qoute
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homework for me really isn't a problem. I normally do it in the library at lunch or break, or (if I've finished the day's actual work early) in the lesson. Most of what I get is either an essay or learning, so not difficult. I know some of my friends struggle with their stuff, but I know very few people in my school learn word lists or verb tables the day of the test. Because my school is selective anyway most teachers assume we can do the work and don't need a rigid strcture for learning outside of lessons. I get the impression that the sixth-formers get a lot of homework, but they also have free periods so they can do some of it them.

Tea Cures All.
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Open Forum -> Open Forum Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: