Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Summer Funk

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> City Central -> Open Forum -> Open Forum Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Summer Funk Reply with quote

Previously during the summer I worked in the mountains where an internet connection was as likely as an alien invasion. But this year I have front row seats to the summer funk I've heard about. Has the summer always chased everyone away? When does it end?

I'm considering a new SG, and as I'm prone to do, I'm planning on experimenting again. I'm a little hesitant, however, until the city starts to look lively again. Is that what everyone else is doing?

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always dipped a bit during summer time, but I've never seen it dip so much as this summer.

For me... the combination of two demanding jobs - one of which is keeping the kids entertained - has meant that I've barely had time to sit in front of the computer screen these past few weeks. Oh, and of course a nice week away. Hehe!

Give it another fortnight and things will settle back down for me, with time to write and time to read again. So - come the second week in September, I'll be able to vote the first option. I want to get MT completed and continue the challenge of Door Handle... both as a storygame and a multiverse story.

There's some SGs I've been following that have new chapters I've not even looked at... *off to renew some favorites*

Very Happy
PilgrimSoul
Resident

Topics: 4

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, for me the summer is a difficult time to write because I actually have LESS to do. During the semester, I'll write to blow off steam or relax after homework, especially when I have a lot of it. oddly enough the busier I am the more I find time to write. When I have nothing to do I feel flat and blahish, and that makes it difficult to focus.

Anyone else get that? or am I just freak?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I get pretty bad when I don't have to do anything. I hate myself for it too! I keep thinking of the novels I could have written with the time.... Even if they didn't sell, they would be valuable experience, besides the fact that I enjoy writing! I think that's why many famous authors are crazy, because you have to be so driven to write. However, with a few readers in a successful SG, I can lose sleep with anticipation and write thousands of words a day. Motivation is so fickle.

We need something to help us celebrate IF coming out of hibernation. I remember how awesome Hangover was for getting all kinds of collaborators to work together, maybe we should do something like that.

Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm around - but preparing for another housemove at the end of September, plus work has gotten busy with a big project I'm in charge of.

Things may settle down once I'm in the new place.
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, the summer is too hot for me to write anything at all. I'd rather enjoy myself in the beach than hole myself up anywhere. I would've tried writing while at the beach, but let's face it, it's hard to concentrate with that blistering heat, the sand getting all over everything, the wind blowing anything off, and noisy people all over...
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably struggled when I most recently re-emerged with the lack of activity on the site. Its nice to see it picking up some. But the reality is, I've been struggling in RL so mightily, and been so distracted with so many things going on here that its been nice to take a breather away from a lot of activity on the site.

That said, it may be approaching time to get moving again...

I tend to not write when I feel I don't have time to read though... seems unfair to ask of others to read my stuff when I'm not reading much of anyone else's...

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Ingrothechundyer
Royal Arch-Mage

Topics: 63

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I am back but to reading but it will take me a loooong time to catch back up with the amount of time I can spend on the site.

Currently catching back up on No Good Deed though and hopefully I can find the rest of the SGs I was following...

As I see active SGs that are interesting I will be picking them up as well (which will push my archive catchup even further behind) Sad
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here, I'm around, I've even been reading from time to time. I've even planned a short project. But I'll admit that this is the absolute lowest and slowest I've ever seen the city.

"Music makes you braver."
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm popping in and out in short bursts at the moment but Friday week is when I'll be properly back!

Smile
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and voted!

IF Economy Research Poll, vote the one that applies to you:
I'm back from summer vacation and I'm ready for some SG's!
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
RL has a persistent stranglehold on me and I'm not sure when it will let go
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Hey, I've been here the whole time!
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
I'm waiting for the city to get a little busy
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
I'll be back soonish
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14
Who Voted: Bronze, Crunchyfrog, D-Lotus, DeadManWalking, Emperor, Ingrothechundyer, Kalanna Rai, Key, Lebrenth, Masterweaver, Phang, PilgrimSoul, Smee, Thunderbird

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Open Forum -> Open Forum Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: