Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Murder in the Intergalactic Garden, Epilogue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog wrote:
I want to talk to this Milo Jones fellow, but at the moment I'm not quite sure what I want to ask him - being that interrogating partial cryo patients is outlawed, and all.

That is tricky isn't it? The law about asking questions from partial cryostasis patients hasn't really been discussed but to keep it simple, you can't force a person into cryostasis, for the purpose of interrogating or otherwise (even to save a life). They have to specifically and explicitly request cryostasis. Since Milo Jones requested the partial cryostasis, you may ask him any questions you like. Sorry about the confusion.

By the way, the Captain's absence has been discussed in the supplementary material.

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Last Call Reply with quote

Last call for DP suggestions! Later today I'll put up the poll to last about a week before I start the next wave! The next chapter shouldn't have as much supplemental material, but it should really start opening up the investigation.

The current poll will be:
    Go to the Garden, Investigate Map Markers and Interview Carl Granger
    Focus on interviewing Carl Granger and other witnesses
    Search the system database for recent significant events
    Go to the Morgue, investigate Victor Clemens body more closely, speak with Milo Jones

Anything else?

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Polling Chapter 2 Reply with quote

All right, the poll's up! Each of the options will lead to new clues, but which will be the most useful? I'm very eager to begin working on the next chapter, so let's see those votes! (Although, I can wait a little longer if anyone needs more time. It's a lot of material, I know)
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was going to steam in for the fourth option... but... yes, they could all lead to different, but still key information. One to sleep on, I think! Smile
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no question in my mind that map seems to be the most intriguing possible lead.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Well, after some thought I am going for the fourth option after all. A sneaking suspicion tells me that if the culprit managed to smuggle technology into the garden, then he/she is likely to be someone with a high level of clearance - or someone who is able to blag his/her way into high-clearance areas by whatever means - which would include the morgue and the cryo unit.

Since the body of Clemens and Mr. Milo Jones are unable to defend themselves, I think we need to get as much information from them as soon as possible - i.e., before either the body is tampered with, or Jones' cryo state is unexpectedly terminated.

The map and its little markers is safe, for now. Smile
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you warriorofdoom for breaking the tie! I'm closing the poll now (that's right, just 1 week of polling), and working on the next chapter which will be completed before the weekend. Some things to look forward to:

Forensic results for confiscated guns
    A storm in the Garden
    The first surveillance report
    More detailed information from the system database

SPOTLIGHT
This storygame has been nominated for the Spotlight Competition where the voting has already begun! There's only 2 weeks of voting so if you haven't voted already, go take a look. Just make sure you give each storygame a chance to impress you before you vote (only fair, right?). Naturally, this author would be very grateful for your votes. Smile

ARCHIVE: Results of Chapter 2 Poll:

Stage Three of Investigation, what will it be?
Go to the Garden, investigate map markers and interview Carl Granger
16% [ 1 ]
Focus on interviewing Carl Granger and other witnesses
0% [ 0 ]
Search the system database for recent significant events
50% [ 3 ]
Go to the Morgue, investigate Victor Clemens body more closely, speak with Milo Jones
33% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 6
Who Voted: Crunchyfrog, Ingrothechundyer, Midnight, Thunderbird, Vishal Muralidharan, warriorofdoom

Last edited by Lebrenth on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to your next installment Lebs!

Zephyrrr! And...
warriorofdoom
Resident

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I found the thread very amusing, and I thought I should help you out! (And also, It would be a shame if only you were posting there!).

I also like your "Things to look forward to" list! I think I will use that for the Legion, with your permission of course. I find this a great story, and I will follow it from this chapter!
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warriorofdoom wrote:
I also like your "Things to look forward to" list! I think I will use that for the Legion, with your permission of course.

Please feel free to use any techniques you like. I have certainly gained a lot from other authors in the City, and I think it's best for everyone if we help each other do better. This preview idea is new for me, but it seems like a good idea. Anyway it couldn't hurt, right?
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: I think..... Reply with quote

Bizzaar.....Amazingly bizzaar.......I'd love to see how this would be turned into a book. I love it though, In all honesty, the only things I clicked on were the interview links. But the idea is unique!

I love the story. Classic murder mystery, with the spaceship twist! Like Lily C.A.T by Hisayuki Toriumi. The usual suspects, like the cheating wife, and the one she cheated with. The secretive and unstable actions of the other crewmembers. And the mass of information make this one heck of a world you've made!

I can't wait to see what happens next!

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lebby, you're a big tease! *hastily makes note of preview idea and scurries off*

Actually I nabbed a nifty pre-chapter synopsis idea from D-Lotus which has worked a treat! Whistle
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PopeAlessandrosXVIII wrote:
I'd love to see how this would be turned into a book.

Well, it would require a lot of end notes that referenced a gigantic appendix. Actually, the appendix would be larger than the main story! Luckily I have no ambitions for publishing it as a book, so I won't have to worry about the formatting. This is a storygame designed solely for hyperlink compatibility, so if it could be reasonably printed in book form (without heavy editing), I've failed at my main objective.

Good to have you on board, Pope! It's only going to get more bizarre from here, so keep a tight grip on your sanity meter!

Crunchy, where is D these days? I'm sure he would be happy to give some insights from his own research on the concept of preview synopses.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lebrenth wrote:
Crunchy, where is D these days? I'm sure he would be happy to give some insights from his own research on the concept of preview synopses.

I have no idea! Perhaps a visit to the Seance Thread is in order. Very Happy - He started doing pre-chapter synopses in his Bittersweet Reverie storygame - and I shamelessly plagiarised the idea for my own synopses for MT.
Author Chapter
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Chapter 3: Storm in the Garden Reply with quote

Chapter 3: Storm in the Garden
Hopefully, after our little conference, the special clearance officers are feeling nervous, knowing they’re suspects. Theoretically, the guilty parties will have a harder time dealing with the pressure, so they may stand out more or make a mistake. Lt. Cdr. Terrence Bluth is in charge of surveillance, but I need someone to watch him too. It should be especially interesting to see what Vladimir Stokov does next after accusing him of murder.

I decide I need to use the restroom before I look at the map I recently acquired. I know there are no cameras in the restroom, so I can take out the marked map without worrying about Terrence watching me. It seems clear that the marked map contains events and times for those events, including one particular time for “crater” that has an X. I write a little transcript of the times and take a picture of the map so I can reference it later with less secrecy, then head to a secure terminal for some knuckle-cracking system database research.

The system database, or Intranet, opens its doors wide for me. I don’t have the Captain’s level of access, of course, but I should be able to see if there are any entries with times corresponding to the ones on the map. I look them up according to what seems to be a serial number, with X as 1, but that brings a mess of trivial reports that would take me a decade to sort through. I narrow the search to the last few days, dive in, eventually finding a few interesting hits, including work orders for Stokov, which links me to a list of his jobs which may help determine where he’s been lately. I spend another hour of menial sifting before finding a real breakthrough, but before I can look through it, I’m immediately called away.

The breakthrough comes in the form of automated reports from camoubots in the Garden that all correspond to the times on the map. Just as I’m beginning to read the reports, a barrage of urgent messages hit me. I have 21 messages originating in Old Town reporting a big fight. I download the camoubot reports to access later before heading out

REPORT 1: Automated reports from camoubots

I don’t have time much time for it, but before leaving the command deck, I talk to WO Jose Pacheco again. He struck me as trustworthy somehow.

“Officer Pacheco, I want you to keep an eye on your superior officer for me. You may say he’s just been working hard, but I can see you’re suspicious. I need to know the surveillance is being done right, you understand?”

“Uh, yes sir…” he says, still trying to recover from my drive-by request.

“Send me a status report now, I have trouble to settle so I’ll just read it on the way.”

REPORT 2: 1st surveillance report for senior officers

REPORT 3: Stokov and Hawkins EA Spread Patterns

I receive two reports as I take the shuttle back to the Garden entrance in Old Town: the surveillance report, and then the spread patterns from the confiscated guns. Apparently my deputy was able to recover and test them all already. The surveillance report seems useless, however, so I focus on the fight in Old Town. Apparently Mayor Richard Sato got into a proper fight instead of just another argument. I enter the Garden via the Old Town entrance to take care of the problem myself.

Stepping into the Garden, I’m surrounded by fog, and I can hear the thunder of a storm sequence initializing. Perhaps a storm was scheduled for today, but I wouldn’t be too surprised if someone was trying to wash away trace evidence. The thunder cracks and the winds blow ferociously. It’s amazing how real it seems. Then a quick call to the command deck halts the storm. It takes a few seconds for all of the lightning to deplete, and it will take much longer for the clouds to disperse, but at least there won’t be any rain.

I don’t have to go far to find the fight, it looks like a peasant riot in the streets! Mayor Sato screams from a second floor window at the rioters below who have armed themselves with clubs made from whatever they could find. With the Mayor’s House standing starside, all of the rioters pushing at the walls and doors look as though they’re trying to send the whole house into space. Sato, as usual, is defiant.

“Who do you think I am? I’m the Mayor, not the Captain!” Sato screams.

“Liar! Murderer! Give us the passcode!” comes from the angry crowd. Normally it’s hard to reason with people in a frenzy, but it just so happens I speak crazy. I pull out my gun and blast over their heads. The white streak of photons sizzling the air gets their attention and starts the confrontation on the right foot.

“Listen up, people! I’m the only one allowed to make baseless accusations on this ship, so unless you have proof that the Mayor Sato is a murderer, I recommend you put down your chair legs and cue sticks and start acting civilized like me.”

“Let us out!” Someone yells, but holds still. Some of them look truly terrified, as though I was about to execute them all.

“You are out. If you want in, just pick a place. While you’re cordoned off in the Garden there will be no renting charges.”

“We want to be back in the ship, there’s a murderer out here!”

“We’re urgently looking for the one who is responsible for the death of Victor Clemens. If anyone tries anything, we’ll see it.”

“We don’t believe you!” says another. I can tell these people aren’t going to stand down without some real persuasion. I’ve never seen them so scared and angry. The last thing I need is people killing each other while I’m trying to solve this crime.

“Hold it! I’m still collecting evidence and questioning witnesses!” I yell at them, but I can tell I’m losing the fight.

“You can keep me here,” the Mayor says, “but you must let everyone else back into the ship!”

“Yeah! Just give us the passcode!” the rabble begins again, but at least they’re fighting on the same side instead of against each other. I’d rather do something more productive with my time, but I should do something about these people first. If only I could just shoot them.

DP: How is the riot handled (if at all)?
Second DP: Where do we take the investigation next?

Last edited by Lebrenth on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice installment, lebs!

I think a na-na-nana-na I told you all so moment is in order... so there's a creature loose on the ship eh? All it would have taken was for the creature to have injured one of these camobots (and... oh... one's missing) for one of them to go haywire thanks to the water it was probably following the creature into (the lake) and blammo, we have a wild electron accellerator which probably killed our victim. (By the way, the scatter diagrams would be great if we could get a diagram of the wound as well - and might as well look for the record diagrams for the bots, particularly the one that's missing.)

I say to address the crowd, share that there is a creature on board the ship that is likely to blame for the murder, even if it was an accident of sorts and that the creature is both a chameleon-like lizard creature of some significant size and that it is likely hiding among the trees in the garden somewhere, or perhaps even beyond the garden as the bots haven't reported the creature recently either. Ask for the crowd's help and release them to search the entire ship. Here is manpower and we should use it to find the beast.

Note: how the heck did the thing get in here though? How can a crater end up in the garden of all places without having blasted its way through the ship? That, I think, is going to be the real mystery here.

Zephyrrr! And...

Last edited by Thunderbird on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: craters Reply with quote

I like your enthusiasm, TB. That's a lot of na na's.

A word about one of your notes, the Garden doesn't have a glass dome over it, the atmosphere is held there by artificial gravity. "Shields" as they are known throughout science fiction, have not been developed. Basically just letting you know there doesn't need to be any "blasting through the ship" for a crater to occur, though it is still a mystery what the crater's story is.

As for the spread pattern of the fatal wound, I've updated "Victor's Fatal Wound" to include images. I'll make a point of announcing when major updates occur. Sometimes I fix little mistakes too, but I don't want anyone to worry, if it changes the content, I'll let everyone know. For the fatal wound update, I was going to make an announcement as soon someone posted (and someone did, so I have Smile ).

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, as suspected, none of those weapons appears to be the culprit, though there is some similarity in one of vostoks weapons, not enough I fear.

I'm sorry, my impression of the garden was not that it was the top exterior of the ship but interior... alright then. So could the creature be wandering the exterior shell of the ship right now?

Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: bubble Reply with quote

Artificial gravity prevents things from escaping easily, especially at a concentrated ring near the floor of the garden. With enough propulsion, something could get out, but it wouldn't be easy. The Garden appears to have a bubble of air on it, the rest of the hull does not have air. Perhaps I should update the 'The Garden' supplement to have a better description, but in essence the answer to your question is "Probably not".
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I was one of that crowd, and had been held in the Garden indefinitely with no updates, knowing there could well be a killer among us, I'd be fed up too. Very Happy

But the main area of concern now must surely be the whereabouts of this unidentified life form. We'll need to evacuate the Garden anyway if we're going to search for the animal, so why not kill two birds with one stone?

If the people are scared they're being cordonned off with a killer among them, then they should react positively to some processing. Processing means they'll think that something is being done to take care of the situation. Processing will make them think that if the killer is among them he'll be caught before they're let back onto the rest of the ship. After all, they wouldn't want the killer to be released onto the ship unchecked.

So for the DP, process and evacuate the crowd from the Garden. Take all their details, and take statements from them all. Have every one of them searched before they leave, in case anyone may be concealing evidence. Let them know that the processing will help eliminate them from suspicion. If nothing else it will at least give them peace of mind when they leave the Garden, giving us less aggravation to deal with as we continue our investigation.

I don't know whether the robots will be able to help with processing, but there must be some resource that will help.

Meanwhile (and this is just for the general mulling over while the suggestion/poll cycle takes place) I'm a bit confused about the format of the Camoubot reports. What is the classified section?

I am also suspicious that Terrence Bluth always turns off the intruder alert.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog wrote:
Meanwhile (and this is just for the general mulling over while the suggestion/poll cycle takes place) I'm a bit confused about the format of the Camoubot reports. What is the classified section?

Essentially, if you see the header "Classified Section", it means the next section is particularly sensitive material that should not be shared with anyone without Special Clearance. It shouldn't be assumed that if that header isn't there that the information isn't sensitive

Thanks for the post! I look forward to adding the DP suggestions to the next poll.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does Aggro mean?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog wrote:
What does Aggro mean?

It's short for aggression. "Aggro: 0" would instruct the AI to be so peaceful that it would make Gandhi look like a short-tempered gun-toting gangster.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Just as an aside, I'm loving this, Lebs. It is giving me a constant feeling that the solution to this mystery is right under my nose and I cannot see it for looking.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, right? Like we should have figured it out back in chapter I and all along we should know what we're missing here...

Zephyrrr! And...
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: I Think...... Reply with quote

True funness! I love monsters... *Bounces up and down* I can't wait for the next part!

The DP.....Put yer foot down! Stun them all, or as many as you can, in any way you can, and make sure they know where they stand! Can't have yerself ordered around by a rable! It's just not right! But, I'm the violent type ehrn it comes to mass hysteria. I'd say, do some crowd controle with the bots, and show force in dealing with unruly peoples. I actually think that'd make'em feel even a little bit safer to know that they got such a tough guy doing security. THEN, send the cambots out with your own set of instuctions to locate and detain creature, but to inform you upon sighting.

Great story, so Animeic!

To Be A Knight
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two new polls up! The first deals with how the riot is dealt with, the second poll deals with where we're focusing the investigation meanwhile.

While rereading everyone's posts for the DP, I realized that TB mentioned getting the record of the spread patterns of the EA's the camoubots have. Unfortunately, there is no such record yet; the bots will have to be tested. In regards to Pope's comment, there is no stun setting on the EA's, but there are other options John can use to knock people out. And so Crunchy doesn't feel left out, in response to her post, the robots probably can help by asking specified questions and recording the response for John to review later. There will be a summary of their findings.

Don't forget! There's a second poll!

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I missed this, due to a lot of white stuff dropping out of the sky.

Not any more though! Voted!
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, a three way tie! Now, however, no matter where the next vote goes, the tie will be broken (even if it just turns around and makes a new tie when the person after that votes).
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i SO love breaking ties!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Ch.3 closed Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, it's been very hectic. I've closed the polls and I'm working on the next chapter. Here's the results of the polls:

Riot Running Rampant
Ask for the crowd's help finding the creature and release them to search the entire ship
25% [ 1 ]
Carefully process each of them before releasing them from the Garden
50% [ 2 ]
Quell the riot by show of force
25% [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 4
Who Voted: Crunchyfrog, PopeAlessandrosXVIII, Thunderbird, Vishal Muralidharan

Meanwhile, we're focusing our investigation on:
Investigating camoubots
50% [ 1 ]
Questioning witnesses and suspects
50% [ 1 ]
Searching Vesper Lake
0% [ 0 ]
Investigating Victor's missing profile
0% [ 0 ]
Surveillance of senior officers
0% [ 0 ]
Finding the alien creature
0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 2
Who Voted: Crunchyfrog, Thunderbird
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and I thought I'd missed a new chapter! It's been hectic here too, but gradually returning to normality. I look forward to your next instalment! Smile
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking up on me Crunchy. Still working on it between everything else! I've also fallen behind most of the stories I've been following, but I plan on catching up with them as well after I get the next chapter up.

Things to watch out for in the next chapter: Stokov sabotages the ship and the Alien comes out to play. There will be important clues, but you might not recognize them when you first see them.

Author Chapter
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Chapter 4: Execution Reply with quote

Chapter 4: Execution
It was too optimistic to think I could wrap up this murder before things became complicated. As I begin interviewing and “processing” passengers in the Garden, I realize just how tenuous peace has been on the ship. To say they’re a little on edge would be like saying hand grenades are a little dangerous. I call a robot security detail in to help me with questioning the witnesses, and they record the answers… it’s not the same as proper interviewing, of course, but I need to get out to check on those camoubots too. They could be the keys to answering the question of how Victor Clemens was killed.

I decide on these simple questions:
“What is your name?

How long have you been in the Garden?

Describe your activities since yesterday morning.

What is your opinion of Victor Clemens?

Do you have any information about Victor Clemens’ recent activities or any suspicious activities of any kind?”

I let the robots do all of the actual interviews and I search each person before they leave the Garden to ensure none of them are concealing anything. Halfway through the searches, still finding nothing, it occurs to me that my deputy, James Slaughter, could be collecting spread patterns from the camoubots. It’s something I should be doing myself, once again, but he’s been trusted with guns, so why not high tech killer spy robots? I have enough on my hands, and we haven’t even begun the hunt for the alien creature currently stowing away onboard.

There are 55 passengers eager to leave the Garden and happy to answer a few questions to do so. I search each of them, which they weren’t so happy about, but find nothing suspicious at all on any of them. Jasper Jameson carries marijuana, which is contraband, but isn’t exactly a murder weapon, so I put it back in his pocket and let him through. I’m not looking forward to reviewing the recordings, but I’m glad to have them filed for later.

REPORT 4: Summary of noteworthy robot interviews

Almost everyone has left the Garden now, and the air is fresh and untroubled. Old Town is a ghost town, except for the stubborn Mayor who wouldn’t leave even if the gravity failed and the atmosphere around the Garden floated out into space. I meet up with James to help him with the camoubots, which is no small task since they look like rocks when they’re inactive. I thought they were still surveilling the alien, but I haven’t checked their latest activities. I remind myself to download their latest activity logs next time I’m on a secure terminal. In meantime, we take a hovercraft from location to location all around Vesper Lake, opening them up without activating them, shooting their EA’s to collect the spread pattern, then replacing the EA’s and closing them up again.

REPORT 5: Camoubot EA spread patterns

Since we were already in the marsh, we decided to investigate the crater from Bluth’s marked map. The crater isn’t enormous, but not too bad either. Wearing gloves and face mask, I collect a few fragments of some kind of … well… some kind of large egg or cocoon with what looks like dried mucous all over it. We bag the pieces and take them straight to the morgue for containment and study. According to military protocol, the whole of the Garden and anyone exposed should be quarantined, but I have a murder investigation to finish, so I’m in a bit of a rush.

I’m starting to feel a little drowsy as we the shuttle hums down the track, but I wasn’t going to have the benefit of calling it a night yet. As we’re about to walk into the morgue, I get another urgent call, this time from a security robot.

“Can’t it wait three minutes for me to put this gunk away?” I say.

“Unidentified intruder detected, non-human.”

“Give me visual.”

The video feed from the security robot shows the alien being running toward the security robot, and there isn’t much time to react.

“Apprehend, but do not harm,” I say quickly

“Yes sir.”

“I mean it, robot! Do not kill that thing!”

“Yes sir.”

I stand in place and watch the video continue, hoping that in a moment I’ll have an alien and not a broken robot. The alien is fast, and it’s larger than I thought it would be. Once the robot tries to intercept, the alien immediately turns on it. It now appears the creature was running from something, not intending to threaten the robot at all. Long fanged teeth lock onto the robot’s arm. The robot seizes the creature, even as it reports a small breach in its shell. The alien is quite strong, but the robot is fortunately a bit stronger.

“Do you have it?”

“Yes sir.”

“Hold onto it and stay where you are till other units can support! And whatever you do, don’t get wet!”

“Yes sir.”

“James, take this to the morgue, I’m going back up.”

“Yes sir. I’ll be coming up right after you,” James Slaughter says.

“Sounds good.”

I get back on a shuttle to go back to the Garden before something goes wrong. Then something goes wrong. The shuttle stops and the lights flicker out only a few yards from the station. Then they come back on and I resume. No problem. I get out and I’m about to enter the Garden, except I’m getting another urgent call, this time from the bridge.

“What is it?” I ask and then add “Sir” when I see it is Cdr. Jacob Hawkins.

“Stokov just blinded us. He disabled the ships internal cameras. He’s in engineering bay E-12. I want you to arrest him immediately.”

“This is a bad time, sir. There’s an alien stowaway in the Garden that’s just been captured and I want to make sure he’s brought in. Besides, by the time I get to E-12, Stokov could be anywhere.”

“I’m sending in some men to find him. Join them as soon as you’re sure you have the alien secured.”

“Yes sir,” I respond, understanding that this was not a request, but an order. My next urgent call is from the security robot again.

“What?” I ask.

“This unit is under attack by four passengers.”

“What? Visual!”

Four of the passengers, wielding long metal rods, have ganged up on the alien creature and the robot attempting to protect it. Other security robots are approaching, but I’m afraid they’ll be too late. The alien is already bleeding from the blows, and the robot is unable to both protect itself and keep a hold of the alien.

“Fire a warning shot, but don’t hit anyone.”

The shot strikes close, but they quickly disable the EA with a sharp clack from a metal rod. Other robots are within shooting range, but they won’t arrive soon enough to subdue the attackers. Nothing short of killing these people will seem to stop them. I may get my alien prisoner, but I won’t get it alive.

REPORT 6: Automated Report, Alien Encounter Incident

DP: What does John do next?

SECOND POLL: What is the focus of the overall investigation?

Last edited by Lebrenth on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

Well, movin' right along here, ne? Stupid humans... But I guess thier safty comes first...is there a 'Stun' ? Maybe send an emergency order to the bots comming on to the scene to dissable the humans with their weapons.

I mean, I can understand being upset over the dead guy, but they're doing more harm than good! (That and I like monsters) I'd almost say, sick the monster on them, but that'd prolly be bad, and fatal. *Dances* I'm liken' this, I hope things keep running "Smoothly" hehehe!

To Be A Knight
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow! Reply with quote

PopeAlessandrosXVIII wrote:
Stupid humans... But I guess thier safty comes first...is there a 'Stun' ? Maybe send an emergency order to the bots comming on to the scene to dissable the humans with their weapons.

Nope, no stun setting, nor are they equipped with weapons that are intended to subdue. If by "disable the humans" you mean shooting them in the legs, maybe that could be done. There's still no guarantees no one will get killed, and EA's are very lethal. Even non-lethal shots will be difficult to recover from and they will need medical attention very quickly or they will bleed to death. The alien could possibly still be shot by accident as well.

Just letting you know, this scenario could very well end up in the worst possible way. I don't always plot out the smoothest course.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting them in the legs may be just the thing. It might even be a quicker way to eliminate the camoubots by the spread patterns they leave.

I'm not sure that receiving the alien dead would be a complete disaster, since we have the egg and mucous, and a slightly battered body to analyse. But we have people acting strangely.

Why would the inhabitants of the ship try to attack something that has already been apprehended and held, apparently safe? Something strange is going on there. All of the four individuals seem to possess qualities which, on the surface probably would amount to nothing, but when suspicions are being cast everywhere, could mean something more ominous.

Were these four among those who were processed in the Garden, I wonder? If so, it may be worth confiscating all of Jasper's contraband for now.

I want to know why Stokov has cut the cameras. We've already got our eye on him, our hero has said as much that it would be interesting to see what Stokov's next move would be after accusing him of murder.

Something's about to happen, and the unliklihood of the attacks makes me think that it will be in the vicinity of the alien. I think we have no choice but to get down there quick if we're to witness anything.

The main focus of the investigation I think should focus around Clemens's body. Since the egg and goo are going to the morgue, and Milo Jones is there, I think the morge is the next port of call.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camoubots are not on the scene, the robots involved in this event are all security bots near Vesper Lake who were sent to ensure the crime scene remained unspoiled. The four men involved in this encounter were not among those processed earlier in Old Town.

So we have "Shoot the assailants' legs" for the first poll, and "Investigate evidence in the morgue" for the second poll. Any other DP suggestions for either poll?

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good observation from other fellow IFians here, but...

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have the murder weapon identified. Pay close attention to the exact match between camobot 9's spread pattern and the wound's spread pattern. They are identical.

We must therefore immediately inspect this bot for every last detail. I'm not concerned if the alien dies... as a danger to others onboard, it probably needs to anyhow. If its intelligent enough to communicate with, that could be a different matter. But the real question then, at this point, is if someone with motive USED this alien to cause a guided chain reaction that led to this murder. Possibly, however, Vostok might just be freaking out thinking he's going to take the blame for something he didn't do but all motives point to him.

Interesting as well to note that most of the names of those attacking the alien are also those who were thought missing and dead by their friend who was interviewed in the garden.

Glad to have caught up to this and sorry I didn't get on it immediately but with this tale, if I don't give myself a decent block of focus time, I'll never 'get it'. And this is really worth 'getting it'! Well done on another well developed hyperlinked chapter.

Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hurries, no worries, TB. I'm very happy you found a match on those spread patterns. Well done. Ready to drop everything and go straight to the camoubot 9, huh? Camoubot 9 will be added to both polls. It seems prudent to add interrogating the four passengers and Gary Orville as well, as you mentioned there is a connection there. I just modified the interview, by the way, after I noticed a mistake where Gary said "near the conservatory" when he should have said "near the observatory". I also noticed the "CLASSIFIED SECTION" of Adolf Polski's profile was accidentally copied from Abe Marlin, so it was removed. That should be all for the errata.

It appears the investigation is making progress....

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: