Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Boredom Therapy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> City Central -> Open Forum -> Open Forum Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Zeke
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="HalfEmptyHeroاللغة العربية؟ لماذا تحتاج إلى تعرف تلك؟
Trans: The Arabic Language? Why do you need to learn that?[/quote]

To speak with Mohamed.

Jesus, of course, speaks English. Smile
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Topics: 75
Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go back to the time of the Celts, just because I'm pretty sure I've got them in my ancestry and I'd like to see what they were like. As long as they didn't try to hurt me in any way, or kill me. I'd also love to see a world untouched by technology and pollution. Hypocrytical I know, seeing as right at this moment I am sat here using a computor (and discovered over the last few days that I can't be without it *strokes new shiny, red Dell lovingly*), but I would love to see forests, and fields, without the whole picture being ruined by a factory being sat right in the middle of it all!
And just for future reference, nobody should mention killing grandmothers in front of me. It just gives me ideas! Laf

Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird question coming up.

Have you ever witnessed anything magical or approximating to magical in your lifetime? And if so, what was it?

If not, what magic would you most wish to see existing in the real world, without it giving you any direct powers or abilities?
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't know how David Copperfield flew on stage, through spinning hoops, into a clear box, lid put on etc.

Closest to magic I've seen.
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you include ghosts in magical, or would that just be supernatural? Because I've seen a ghost. *shudders at the memory* 'Twas not nice! Crying or Very sad

I would love to see more magic in the world. It would make everything more exciting, in a more worthwhile way.

I personally would love to have elemental magic.

Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic can include anything in my opinion. Ghosts, aliens, auras, fairies at the bottom of your garden. Even a snowdrop melting on the eyelash of a startled deer, if you're spiritually inclined.

The way people interpret the term 'magic' is just as interesting as hearing about their experiences Smile
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*giggles as the snowflake melting on the eyelash of a startled deer, turns to pus that oozes from an open wound*
scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Topics: 59

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nasty. Mad
Geek_girl72
Respected Citizen

Topics: 31

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once visited an Olmec temple were in ancient times they preformed human sacrifices becuase they believed it was neccasary to cuase the next day to dawn.

It was pretty freakin' sweet. Shocked

Whodunnit?On hold till further notice
I Don't Believe in Fate: Chapter 13 is now released
Lost n' Spacey On hold till Further Notice

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
(")_(")into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Tatkret Sos
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it depends if you could get back or not! Unsure
I'd probably use it to go back to when I was about 5 because then I would know what was going to happen and I could stop it Very Happy hehe
or maybe I would go forward to see if it was any good, if not go back! Smile
Poke
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once witnessed a group of people, music, and a rotating fan all fall into some sort of strange vibrational harmonic frequency which was slowly brought to a halt (the fan was the most obvious thing to come to a complete stop though the music's simultaneous slow to stop was just as impressive, as was everyone in the room slowly lolling their heads over at the same time to witness the fan stopping... it was a really wierd moment) then it all picked up again after a perfect one second count of complete pause.

I know I'm not explaining it very well, but it was a very obvious and apparently magical moment.

I also experienced the power of prayer to fill the air in a flat tire. It's true... there was absolutely no other explenation.

I've experienced darker magics as well, but I shall not speak of such things so lightly.

What sort of magic would I like to see in the world? One that banishes the bind against magic would be a start. If we lived in a more magically driven reality, t'would be nice all around... or at least it seems that way. The grass IS always greener on the other side of the fence, no?

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this experience with a ghost didn't feel very magical. It happened a few years ago, when we lived in the house before the one that we live in now.
I was in bed one night, and I was half asleep, but something woke me up. I opened my eyes, and standing at the foot of my bed was a little girl. My first instict was that it was Tats, but when I looked, I saw that she was still in bed (we shared a room at that time, a fact that has been remedied, thank god!). And the little girl was considerably younger than her anyway. She looked to be about five or six years old, with hair cut into a short bob, that curled up at the ends. She wore a long nightgown.
She was stood, looking down at Tats, while she slept. The feeling that I got from this being was not a good one. It made me feel very uneasy. All of a sudden, I really didn't want it to know that I had seen it. I closed my eyes, and almost immediatly, I felt it's eyes boring into me. I just knew that it was watching me. After a while, the feeling went away, and I opened my eyes and found that it had gone. But it scared me to death!
Despite the fact that it was a very young child, there was something very, very sinister about it. It was not a friendly being, of that I am certain.

Now the sceptics out there would probably put it down to a dream, seeing as I was in bed at the time. And mabye I would have myself eventually. That is, if I hadn't found out a few days later, that my mum had been hearing things. She said on more than one occassion, she had heard somebody calling 'mum' when there was nobody in the house, except for her. And the one night, when she was in the kitchen making dinner, she bent down to get something out of a cupboard, and she could hear someone breathing in her ear. But there was nobody there.
But the one thing that happened to her, that really scared her, happened later.
I had gone to work (back in the days when I actually had a proper job!), and she was getting ready to go and pick Tats up from school. She was just about to leave when she heard someone shout 'Mum!' and then run down the stairs. It really scared her, and she got out of the house as quickly as she could. She didn't want to go back straight away, so she and Tats went to get a cup of coffee. When they did venture back home, they found the stereo was on and playing old music. When the song had finished, the stereo just went off. And then they saw that it wasn't even plugged in.

We left the house not long afterwards. Then found out from a lady, who lived up the road, that it was known to be haunted, but she hadn't wanted to frighten us. The couple who had lived there before us had left because the wife kept hearing things.

So that's the nearest thing that I have experienced to magic. Whether you believe it or not, it did happen. And it is not something I would like to experience again. But it does make you paranoid, about every creak and groan in a house. There has been more than one occassion that I've thought that the house we are living in now is haunted too. But I don't think it is really.

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story to relate there Tika! I think that everywhere is haunted... its the observer that is special, not the place. And its a gift I think, not a curse, though the irony is that it seems no-one who actually has that gift seems to think well of these experiences. I saw a green haze at the foot of the bed one night that I'd think would have been more of an apparition had I had the ability to see it for that. Always wished I would... but then, I'm one of those wackos who would SEEK any experience that cracks the walls of our so-called reality.

Zephyrrr! And...
Zeke
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic is really a matter of perspective. If you don't expect to see magic, you won't.

My wife and I have both experienced ... hypno... hypnagogic hallucinations. For me, it was giant bubbles floating up at the foot of the bed. A different time my wife saw a giant spider that climbed up the wall and vanished. Both of us were severely sleep-deprived at the time. It was a little scary when it happened to me the first time because my wife thought there was someone in the room from my reaction.

I remember searching for ghosts when I was younger and lived near Savannah, GA. Couldn't find anything, though. Found the remnants of what appeared to be a voodo shrine out near the ruins of a civil war fort, though. That creeped me out.

My childhood home had a lot of unusual features that made it very entertaining. One of the doors in our basement was imperceptably off-level. It would randomly slam shut from time to time. One of the interior walls conducted heat to the outside of the house, probably due to a flaw in the insulation, and created an odd cold spot that could send a shiver up your spine if you walked into it. And of course, the floorboards creaked when the house settled and warped in the winter especially. And steam heat radiators make for a lot of creaking and banging. Ghosts? We chose to believe that these were not ghosts but constructed "rational" explanations. Some of the explanations were more plausable then others. Smile

I have to say, though--what a good story, Tika! Thank you for telling it. Funny how some of our most unpleasant experiences make such good stories. I hope that you can enjoy the story, now, after a little time.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Jorgen Bob Reply with quote

I've had a few occasions where one could come to the conclusion that something supernatural was occurring, but I usually decide on rational explanations. Nonetheless, I don't believe reality as we have come to understand it is the limit of existence. For starters, I wonder how many people have these moments of "De Ja Vu". All my life, I have moments I have lived that I remember dreaming about before... sometimes very vividly, sometimes with a dream following it that's based off of what I saw.

Of course, dreams are very mystical and scientifically unreliable as any kind of proof. Personally, I believe it is essential that proof of existence beyond reality is unattainable. It would fundamentally ruin our lives if we knew the truth beyond them. We are intended to live our lives like authors write their characters without knowledge that they are characters.

A crack in reality that I experienced occurred while someone else was sleeping too. It came to my attention that a person sleeping over (who wishes to stay anonymous for his own reasons), was acting very strangely, like he was in a dream he couldn't wake up from. I was with my sister, and we could not wake him at all. At one point, he grabbed my wrist and I had to fight to keep him from hurting me till he eventually just let go.

When he became calm again, his hand started making weird motions. If I remember correctly, it was his left hand, but I'm not sure if that is usually his dominant hand (I hadn't considered that before). The motion it was making looked like he was writing something, but without a pen in his hand. Out of curiosity, we found paper and a pencil, and placed it where he could use it. It immediately began to write.

The writing began very sloppy, but was slowly improving. It took us by surprise again when we realized the writing was communicating with me and my sister. It asked how we were doing and drew arrows pointing in our directions. The sleeping person had his eyes closed and was laying very limp. It was only the hand that moved.

The writer became frustrated when we said nothing (we were confused) and swore at us. Then once we figured out what was going on, we talked to it and it became friendly.

I don't think it would be any problem mentioning the writer called himself Jorgen Bob, which, I know, sounds like a weird name. I've wondered if Jorgen was actually a misspelling of "Georgian", which would fit the story the writer told. Jorgen Bob explained that he was a black slave who used to know the person who was sleeping in a different life. He said the sleeper was once a white man who was abandoned as a child and raised by black people. Later, when the slaves were being beaten, the sleeper's former self murdered the slave owners. He was a hero to them, but I didn't find out what happened to them afterwards.

The story is wildly dramatic, and the sleeper was diagnosed with a psychosis earlier in his life because of delusions. But the writing was coherent and eventually wrote neatly within the lines of the paper, while the sleeper had his eyes completely closed. Strangely, however, the writer did need the eyes to be pointed in the right direction. The writer apparently had little control of the sleeper's body, only his hand, so when the sleeper tossed in his sleep and turned his head, the writer scrawled messily that he needed us to turn the sleeper's head back. He still insisted the eyes didn't have to be open though.

Jorgen Bob eventually said the sleeper was trying to wake up, so he would have to leave. He said goodbye, and the pen dropped from the hand like a thing that had died.

Now, there are a few uncertainties to the validity of this story that I have to consider. First of all, slaves were not taught or even allowed to read and write in the 19th century(Jorgen Bob gave me a date in the early 1800's). Secondly, the sleeper was known to be delusional (though perhaps it's only the incredulity of his claims that made them think so). Also, during the discussion, the writer claimed to not know what country he was in, and didn't know what the pen was that we switched to after the pencil was dull (I quote from the pages "What's a pin?" "You use these things?"), but pens have been used for many centuries. The writer also claimed that the sleeper had lived 1 million past lives, but even if he had lived only 1 year per life, it would be a million years of living... this assuming that reincarnation works that way (if reincarnation exists at all).

This story could take a lot longer to tell with more details. The sleeper let me keep the papers the writer wrote on as long as I didn't get him in trouble. He was going to take them but he decided to let me "study" them. But let me just say the events I have described happened just as I explained them. I haven't entirely made my mind up what they mean, though sometimes I think about finding that person again. The person knew quite well that such things happened, though he didn't remember that night, and he did not want to advertise it. Incidentally I have been very careful who I tell, and its only because no one here really knows my identity that I feel it's safe to share here.

Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Lebby - that's quite the experience! Shocked
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phenomenon is called channeling. I used to believe it was a bunch of bunk until I read Bringers of the Dawn, as channeled by Barbara Marciniak... it sounded altogether too possible. I maintain some doubt but I've experienced ouija boards appear to work and its not too much of a stretch to think it could work at a deeper level. (I'd tell the ouija board story, which was quite reminiscent of your tale lebby, but it's too long to tell without making it a novel in and of itself... some wierd stuff for sure!)

Zephyrrr! And...
Zeke
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a neat story, Lebrenth.

As I explained above, I'm not inclined to believe in the supernatural, myself. Automatic writing and past lives is a little too Shirley Maclaine for me. But even if he's just plain crazy-psychotic, it's just ... fascinating.

I've always been fascinated by these kind of mental abberations. I had an acquaintance a decade ago with full-on OCD. She was too terrified most of the time to really be a friend or accept my friendship, but I was fascinated by the mechanics of her OCD when she was willing to share.

There are a few really good reads along this line:
The Minds of Billy Milligan, by Daniel Keyes.(It's a biography of a man famous for multiple personality disorder.)
Fire in the Brain: Clinical Tales of Hallucinations, by Ronald K. Siegel I've been meaning to read Whispers: The voices of paranoia, also by Siegel. Maybe I'll get it for Christmas. Smile
scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tika- i used to work with a woman who had a VERY simliar ghost experience to that of your mom and sister.

She came home one day, after many days of voices, touches, things moving, etc... to find her stereo upside down and unplugged in the middle of the living room floor.. playing music!

Later, she saw a complete, clothed human torso, dressed in a white workman's undershirt and stained pants with suspenders, "walk" through her kitchen.
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last part sounds even more diturbing than my experience, Skitty! Razz

Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out that I spoke too soon, about thinking that the house that we are currently living in isn't haunted!

Just a couple of minutes ago, me and Tats were sat on my bed, just chatting and listening to music. Then, to the left of us there was a really loud smashing sound.
A engraved glass, full of crystals, had flown across the room, at such a force, that it had shattered into tiny pieces. The thing is, the glass of crystals, before then, had been sat on my desk, but had landed halfway across the room from it.

I was almost certain that I was just being paranoid, about the noises that I have heard in this house since we have been living here. But obviously I wasn't. And this is different from the other incidents. I haven't experienced this sort of physical force before. We've been living in this house now for nearly five years, and nothing like this has happened before now.

The worst thing to have happened, before this, was when I woke up early one morning, around 5 am. I was lying facing the wall, and something had woken me. I don't know how or why, but I had an over-whelming feeling, that there was something stood behind me, watching me. The feeling was very similar to the one that I had with the other ghost, when I had my eyes closed, but I still knew that it was watching me. But this was worse. There seemed to be real malice behind it. I didn't dare turn around, and I couldn't go back to sleep, even after the feeling was gone, about fifteen minutes later. I had trouble sleeping for the next few nights too. But, despite that, I eventually convinced myself that I had imagined it. Now, I'm not so sure.

The most disturbing thind for me, is that both of these things have happened in my bedroom. I don't like it at all! One thing is for sure, I will not be getting any sleep tonight. And Tats was pretty shaken up too, so she may have the same trouble.

Phang
Elder

Topics: 25

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone said somethin' about a...hypnagogic hallucination, right?

Yeah, I think I've had one of those.

Some really inane stuff scared me as a kid, and I used to have a bunch of nightmares. Anyway, one time I woke up in the middle of the night and saw someone standing at the head of my bed (a top bunk without the bottom bunk, so essentially I looked up and was face-to-face with this Asian girl). I'm not going to go into details but she was clear as day even in the dark, disappeared in an instant and left me in stunned silence until I managed to fall asleep again.
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say paranormal phenomenon (ghosties) are attracted to adolescent teen girls more than any other group. Something to do with the energies associated with them...

Zephyrrr! And...
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know about Phang, but I wasn't really a teenager with either incident. With the first, I had just turned 19, and now I am 24 (though I will admit, on occassion, I can be a little immature Laf ).

I never experienced anything like this when I was younger, and I have never tried to communicate with the dead in any way. Before the incident at our old house, I didn't really even believe in them. So I don't have a clue as to why I seem to attract them. Other than the fact that I am open to different possibilities, but I don't think that that is unusual.

The only thing that I do know is, that I don't like it!

Phang
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird wrote:
They say paranormal phenomenon (ghosties) are attracted to adolescent teen girls more than any other group. Something to do with the energies associated with them...

You heard it here first, ladies - ghosts are all dirty old men.
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veering off the subject of ghosts, for a moment, I thought I'd mention dreams.

Now, I have some really weird dreams anyway, ones that have stayed with me since I was a child. But I also have dreams that go on as a series, each dream continuing from the one before. Not necarssarily one night after the other, but each time I have one of them, it is a continuation of the previous. There is a certain 'series' of dreams, that I have found particularly disturbing, mainly because they are so vivid. They are dreams about future events, this world in the times to come. And in these dreams, the world is not a good place to be. I will not go into details of it (unless requested, of course), but it is set not too long from now. In the dreams, I myself have aged, as have the people that I know. The feelings and personalities of the people in the dreams are so real. I always wake up from them confused, and unsure of what moment in time I am in.

I know that there are supposed to be many explanations for dreams, their meanings, and why they happen. But these are different. I hesitate to say this, for fear of looking like an idiot, but they almost feel premonitionary. Though I doubt very much that they are, that is how they feel. The experience is always very intense.

I felt that this sort of fell into the same category as ghosts, more paranormal than magic. But then, who says that they are not the same thing?

Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New question for those caught up in the Christmas Seasonal Boredom:

If you knew - and I mean it had been mathematically and scientifically proven to you beyond doubt - that your next ten years of life would be better if you shot a stranger between the eyes with a bullet... would you take the shot?

In this scenario you have no idea how bad or good your next ten years would have been anyway - and you have no idea how much improvement there would be. Only that it would be definitively better than otherwise.
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially, I thought 'No' straight away. But then I had a think about it, and I guess it would depend on whether you could know something about the stranger, like what kind of person they were, if they had done any horrible things.

So my answer is, if you had to just go out into the street and shoot any random person, would be no.

If you could choose the stranger, according to their deeds in life, such as a murderer, or a paedophile, or someone who was cruel, just for the sake of being cruel, my answer could well be yes. I could say yes now, but I don't know if that would change if I was actually in that position. I might not be able to bring myself to take another life.

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got ya thinkin with my last chapter SS?

My answer is no. What goes around innevitably comes around. That simple.

Zephyrrr! And...
Phang
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really a matter of yes or no for me. I probably wouldn't be able to do it, want or not.
scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't do it. The only way my life could be improved after killing a stranger would be if the stranger killed me at the same time. I just couldn't imagine my life being "improved" with that level of guilt. No matter what sort of misery or poverty or whatever awaited me if I didn't kill the stranger, it would be imminently preferable to carrying that deed with me for the rest of my days.
Judge Frollo
Visitor

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, If by better you mean not having to go to jail. Though probably not. Any reward that I gain will be brought back as punishment ten-fold.

"Do you have my Shiny?"
Zeke
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't kill someone for something so abstract. At least not personally. In principle I'm not a pacifist. I think that there are potentially things worth fighting for (not many things, though.)

[The Master] enters battle gravely, with sorrow and great compassion, as if he were attending a funeral." (Stephen Mitchell's translation of the Tao Te Ching).
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it depends on how bad your life is at that point. If the life you were living was terrible anyway, then the likelyhood would be that life if you didn't shoot that stranger would be just as terrible or more so. In that situation, I would probably shoot the stranger - any improvement over that sort of life is better than none, right? However, if life at that point was ok - not perfect, but comfortable enough to live - then I would say don't shoot.

It also depends on the situation where you were asked to shoot. If it was a contest, with a prize you desperately needed, and that guy would shoot you to get it, then it's survival of the fittest.

The thing is, if it has been proven to you beyond doubt that your life will be better, you must have some idea of how it would go. I'm not saying specifics, but you should be able to deduce from the proof given the extent of average improvement.

Tea Cures All.
kkdestiny
Mayor

Topics: 56

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump >>

*shrugs* well, we've got new members now right? *includes self* ^^

I have alot of powers that I would enjoy having. This includes the usual flying, invisability, teleporting kind of stuff.

But ultimately it seem, I always come back to wanting the power of telepathy. The ability to speak to others through the use of my mind with out my mouth.

Oh the fun I would have Smile
___
with a time machine i would either go back to my childhood and have secret meetings with myself so that I could mature mentally faster and to know things that I know now Smile

OR

Take a leaf from CF, go forward in time, get a more functional time machine and then go back and get to know Bruce Lee
____
and the magic thing, I've had some freaky moments o.o

I've sensed ghosts walking past me and stuff (wish i could see them) and I one time saw into the past at one of my friend's house just to guess correctly on something that my friend thought I'd never guess.

"you'll never guess what my sister conned me into buying."

*weird thing*

"brat dolls?"

"how did you...?"

"The Freedom of Magic" Just got its THIRD chapter up!

Hope you all find the time to read them Very Happy *goes off to look for an SG to read*

Note to self: The Elven Moon; Coin; SVI; Black Animals; Two Wolves; Angel Cat

Items

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had an expierence with an entity, it was about a year and a half ago, in my room. I was sleeping I dreamt that three very old men were attacking me, crushing my chest. And poking me with a pitchfork. When I woke up I was lying on my side and I saw a guy wearing a helmet on his head, piercing green eyes, It was a black helmet of somesort. But I just turned around without screaming, Shut my eyes and tried sleeping all the while thinking of this ghost figment in my presence. When I told my dad about it he said I should have screamed... Embarrassed
crazybookgal
Citizen

Topics: 12

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with kk for the superpower. telepathy would be so useful!!! u could talk in class, not have to use a phone ever, and i could just yell at peole in my mind to get to the city and read my story:lol:
crazybookgal
Citizen

Topics: 12

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with kk for the superpower. telepathy would be so useful!!! u could talk in class, not have to use a phone ever, and i could just yell at peole in my mind to get to the city and read my story:lol:

for the time machine, i would take my dad back in time. he's a real history buff, and is big on finding more efficent ways of doing things. (dangerous combination) he'd probaly lecture George Washington on all the mistakes he made Very Happy

i find magic in nature. i love the way snow sparkles and falls on trees. also thunderstorms are awesome too

as for the most recent Q, i wouldn't kill someone for those reasons. i probaly couldn't if i wanted to. maybe if i was a cop and the guy was about to shoot a little girl...
kkdestiny
Mayor

Topics: 56

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm I came here because I'm bored...

"The Freedom of Magic" Just got its THIRD chapter up!

Hope you all find the time to read them Very Happy *goes off to look for an SG to read*

Note to self: The Elven Moon; Coin; SVI; Black Animals; Two Wolves; Angel Cat
Scheherazade
Resident

Topics: 2
Location: Land of Rain and More Rain (but really southwestern BC, in Canada)

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superpower? Time manipulation, hands down. On the other hand, that would basically mean my entire life would become a series of stable time loops where I did things because I saw future-me do them beforehand and I'd be forced to follow predestination one way or another.
On the other other hand, there are all sorts of cool things to do with stable loops which can involve work and objects Smile (if you could not affect your personal time, being able to manipulate time in localized areas outside of your body would be pretty neat)

For a time machine, my first thought was to either jump ahead and get a working time machine, or set up a loop where multiple temporal versions of me use/will use multiple versions of the time machine. Option B is going back to a time before any artificial lighting, except for candles, were invented so that I could see a real night sky. Doing so in Celtic Britain would be awesome as well - particularly if I could stay long enough to learn the language Very Happy

Miracles are everywhere, ahahahahahaha (but seriously it depends on the observer - as Terry Pratchett said, "it's still a miracle even if you know how it's done")

For the latest question, I would definitely not shoot a stranger - particularly not if another stranger came up and told me he had 'mathematical proof' that it would make the world 'better.' Aside from all the huge variables in that initial question, I am a pacifist and believe that there is always a non-violent solution. Sometimes that solution is for all parties involved to stop being such huge self-absorbed jerks, which is not really a feasible thing to say plainly, but that is why diplomats and mediators exist - they learn to word things in a way that is acceptable to everyone, or as many people as possible.

(edit for speling misteaks)

Here is Scheherazade
by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Open Forum -> Open Forum Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: