Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Chapter 3- Mick
Click here to go to the original topic

Storygames Home -> Confession Box - COMPLETE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Chapter 3- Mick  

Dedications- Here's to the Spanish soccer team, who are down on their luck. Also, to my English teacher, who helps me out a lot.

Storygame process: Read the story, and then based on the character's personality, suggest what he/she should do. When all suggestions are adopted, the author (me) will post a poll. You must vote for your favorite option on the poll, and based on that decision, the author will write the next chapter as it affects the story.

Chapter 3

Father Devine had been awakened into religious consciousness by the girls’ problem. It had been long ago that someone had last questioned faith, and he had become disconnected. He was startled, even scared, as it was himself he was attempting to answer. But Devine had a pillar of strength on which to rely. It was a strength granted to him by a life of unbroken convictions.

“You must understand that God loves us unconditionally. He gives us the free will to make our own decisions, because he loves us.”

Devine caressed her face comfortingly.

“To achieve God’s purpose is the fulfillment of one’s life. The religious vocation is one of hardship, but through it, you achieve a higher purpose. Sometimes, we must rise above our animal instincts.”

He felt a pang of pity that began growing into constant pain as he patted the sniffling creature by his side on the back. She wiped away her tears as she began to recompose herself. Perhaps she wasn’t strong enough. Why make her go through all of the pain if it wasn’t her purpose? Devine tried to talk off the questions.

“My own experience as a priest has been very fulfilling. I never had to deal with the discomforts of love.” he said jokingly.

“After some years, love is forgotten anyway. You are left with the satisfaction of having served God, a satisfaction much greater and lasting than any other. And you get to help people, that’s the best part of it.” He looked into the girl’s stunning blue eyes, and felt all of his words melt away like snow.

He let his spirit be guided by his emotions. After all, God had created them for that purpose, had he not?

“Perhaps this isn’t the life for you. Maybe you have another purpose.”

She looked at him, hopeful. He held her head in his hands and pretended to analyze her critically. “Yes, I think so. There’s always time to turn back to God if you are not happy. Remember that God wants you to be happy. Pray, then reconsider your path.”

“Thank you, Father, thank you.” she said, brightening. She kissed him on the cheek and beamed.

Devine felt slightly light and confused with himself. He wasn’t sure what had made him say that. They walked together until they reached the town, and then each walked a separate way.

That night, rain poured down from the sky in heavy sheets. The blinding rain blended with the night to form a heterogeneous mixture of complete wilderness. A step in any direction became a strange and unfamiliar jungle. The inhabitants of the town took refuge in their homes, hiding from their fear of the unknown.

In his room, Devine wrestled against his pillow. The rain drummed against his window heavily, causing his subconscious a certain unrest manifested in his constant change of posture. He started from his dream, rearing himself up in bed and searching around for that which plagued him in his sleep. Slowly, he settled down again, but he remained awake, expectant. There was a foreboding sense in the chilly room and the roaring rain outside.

There was no light in his room, but Devine did not get up to light a lamp. Finally, overcoming his fear and shedding his sheets, he lit a lamp lying on his bureau. The feeble light provided him with a sense of comfort, and he returned to bed, leaving the lamp burning.

Only a few minutes passed as Devine was beginning to doze, when a loud, sharp knock on the door snapped him back into full awareness. He rose, grabbing the lamp. As he hurried through the hallway, the knock repeated itself with less strength, as if extinguishing itself.

Devine approached the altar door and realized it was already open. Ahead of him, he could distinguish the figure of Father Dole, dashing towards the main door. Devine reached the center of the aisles when Dole opened the main door. A gust of wind and rain and darkness crashed inside, an intruder upon the peaceful church.

“I’ll get him!” shouted Dole, searching behind momentarily for Devine, and then rushed out after the mysterious visitor. The heavy door shook under the assail of the wind, and Devine covered his eyes with his arm to protect from the invading rain. He saw the figure of Father Turner rushing towards the door, and moved himself to aid as his lamp finally went out with a gust of air. Between the both, they succeeded in slamming the door shut. The barrage of foreign elements stopped. The church became oblivious to the outside clamor, and the quiet darkness solidified itself from the other elements.

“Who was that?” said Turner, his voice echoing angrily. He seemed furious, perhaps more than the situation demanded. Father Devine panted as he recovered, and the question remained unanswered.

“I’m going to get to the bottom of this.” said Turner. His face was shrouded by darkness to Devine’s view, but he could appreciate Turner’s tone of malevolent resolve. There was a prolonged silence, and finally a knock on the door. Turner and Devine opened the door slightly, only enough to admit Dole inside. He was completely drenched, and his habit clung to his skin. He passed his hand through his plastered hair, removing it from his eyes as he breathed in heavily. Devine reflected on the man’s simple courage.

“I…I couldn’t find him.” he stammered out between breaths. The strange knockings were beginning to worry all three.

“Nothing we can do about it tonight, then.” said Devine, voicing reason. For some reason, he felt compassion for the stranger. “Let’s go to sleep. We can think about it more in the morning. Father Dole, maybe you should dry yourself off.”

Turner grumbled, but said nothing. The three of them once more retreated into the altar door. The raining lessened in vigor, but never really stopped until the morning.

The next day was drenched in mud. It was sticky, cumbersome and congealed. The mud irritated people in the town, and everybody gave the appearance of being piqued. As the morning began dissolving into the afternoon, the sun caused the mud to begin drying. Mud-crusted boots and clothes only increased the town annoyance. Towards two o’clock, there was an explosion of shouts louder than usual in Old Mick’s house, and Mick sulked out, fuming inwardly. Only the town-children seemed to be enjoying the mud, rolling around and wrestling happily.

Father Dole had managed to save his little garden behind the church from the rain. He had cleverly erected an awning or canopy that sheltered his assortment of vegetables. The vegetables were beginning to grow, and the small green swellings hanging from some vines could already be seen to take on the reddish glow of tomatoes. Dole was cheerfully watering his plants from a watering bucket, when Father Turner wandered out from the somber church into the sunshine.

When he saw Dole, he was particularly peeved; perhaps the sudden change of light had bothered him. He watched Dole and frowned sourly. Dole had achieved a rescue of his garden from the rain and mud, and Turner himself was covered in it as soon as he stepped outside. The foot of his habit was weighed down with the sticky substance. Observing Dole, elated, as he watered his hard-earned garden, he felt a pang of contempt and jealousy. He had never been able to disguise his disgust for Dole well as he had with Devine.

He strode forward, approaching Dole from behind.

“Father Dole!” called Turner. Dole turned and saw Turner coming. Unconsciously, he held the watering bucket firmly closer to himself.

“Father Dole,” said Turner, resting his hand on Dole’s shoulder, one of Turner’s distinguishing personal habits. “I was walking yesterday through the hill paths behind town, and I saw something you might be interested in.”

“What was it?” said Dole, mistrusting.

“A patch of oxeye daisies; I would have examined them myself, but I was running late.”

“Oxeye daisies?! But how?” exclaimed Dole in an exaggerated incredulous voice. The oxeye was a beautiful species which was rarely found in the area. Father Dole had a weakness for botany. Turner waited for Dole to incite himself to go.

“I must go right now- but I can’t leave my garden at this moment.” he said excitedly.

“Don’t worry, I’ll take care of it, Father.” said Turner. Dole remained holding the watering bucket, uncertain. “Don’t forget, Father Dole, to not exploit one’s talent is to sin.” added Turner.

Dole finally put the watering bucket down. Now that evidence from the bible had been supplied, he could not refuse. It was a unequivocal order from God. Thanking Father Turner, Dole hurried inside in search of his botanic paraphernalia.

“I want to marry you, Edward.”

“Are you sure? Jack said-”

“Edward, I don’t care what Jack said. I love you.”

Edward took in a deep breath. “Alright, Anne. I’ll have to talk to my father. Boy, he’s going to be angry. I can’t promise you anything, Anne, but I’ll try.”

There was a pause. “If I had to marry anyone, it would have been you.” he suddenly realized. The young boy who had ashamedly revealed his secret in the confession box had finally matured. The girl smiled and reached over to hug him.

“Poor Jack.” said Edward, “He’s crazy over you. I don’t think you realize how much so.”

“I do. But I wouldn’t want a marriage with a man who I feel I have an obligation to. And its better for him. He can find a woman more appropriate to himself.”

Edward sighed. “I’m going to yearn for the university, Anne. Every night, I’ll look into the sparkling sky and wonder what could have been. I want you to know that. I’ll never forget this decision.” He said, resignedly but strong.

A single tear slipped from the girl’s eye. “I know, but love will succeed.”

There was a gentle exchange of soft kisses on the cheek, and Edward rose to go. He grabbed his coat and placed it around himself. He whispered something and opened the door, revealing the chilly night. The fire flickered and then sprung forth with renewed vigor. The starry night shone on the pale faces below, as the young man stepped out and closed the polished door behind him. He crossed the street, followed closely by his own steps. The moon and the cloudless sky gazed at him through the mantle of darkness, but inside himself, the man was tranquil. A low, delicate tune commenced from his lips. Now the echo of his foot-steps died down, and Fate watched him courageously disappear into the unlighted streets, whistling.

For Devine, who’s ambiance had lately been distorted by so many uncommon circumstances, it had been a refreshing day to rest. He had been occupied all day re-establishing his customary routine. A brisk walk always cleared out his confusion. After the exhilaration of the cold breeze on his face, he felt his cogitative powers increase. On particular days, he could feel himself on the brink of an epiphany.

He opened the kitchen door, rubbing his hands together for warmth. His shoes clung with mud, and he shook them off. On the table, waited a plate of soup. Father Dole and Father Turner were as punctual as ever, silently sipping their broth. Devine warmed his hands on the kitchen fire and then took his seat.

“Pea soup?” asked Devine, trying to start a conversation. Father Dole shrugged.

He wondered at their silence- the only acknowledgement he had gotten had been a nod from Dole as he entered. Devine began his dinner, knowing that whatever the problem, it would soon be revealed to him.

Father Dole kept shifting his eyes from the soup to Devine, and fidgeted with his spoon, restless. Turner was stiff, more so than usual. His movements were practiced and repetitive as he lifted the utensil to his mouth without spilling any of the liquid contained within it.

“I think I’ll make a salad tomorrow.” said Devine as he gulped down the hot liquid. “Father Dole, do you-”

Father Dole slammed his fist on the table, overturning his plate from the force of the blow. Devine looked up startled, but Turner’s eyes did not even flicker from his spoon.

“Its certainly not going to be done with anything from my garden!” shouted Dole.

“What’s wrong, Father?”

“That man,” said Dole, thrusting his index finger out towards Turner condemningly, “destroyed my garden.” His face grew red and frustrated. Turner looked up from his plate for the first time, and replied calmly from under the accusing finger- “I did nothing near it.”

“You dare deny it?” cried Dole, like a prosecutor harassing the defendant.

“Father Devine,” said Turner, ignoring Dole, “It was all a misfortunate accident. I saw Jim Taggert walking by with his dogs, and I called to him. At the moment, I didn’t see any wrong in letting him inside the gate for a brief talk. I didn’t expect the dogs would go directly for the meat sandwich. I was eating it when I saw Jim, so I left it on the plate on one side of the garden and went over to call him. It was unlucky the dogs crossed through all the plants to get to it.”

“Those dogs are wild, and you know it! You shouldn‘t have let them in!” said Dole, outraged.

“Father Devine,” continued Turner, “I even went to the trouble of buying him new seeds.”

“Hah!” scoffed Dole, “He gave new seeds! How does that fix anything?”

“Well-” said Devine, troubled.

“Father Devine,” said Turner once more, slyly, “I have also obtained the money for the reparations.”

Even Dole was shocked into silence. “You did?” asked Devine.

“Yes. I convinced Andy McDonough.”

Devine broke out into a smile and held out his trembling hand to Turner. They shook hands while Dole sullenly stared at Turner, disbelieving. It had been a project they had all almost given up on. Months of preaching at church services had been to no avail, but now Turner had obtained it.

The subject of the garden was dropped; from then on it was regarded as an accident. Dole didn’t protest much, he just took the seeds and started over, hoeing and watering every day. A few days went by, and Devine learned of the new marriage to be organized. The wedding day for Edward Conolly and Anne Clarke was to be arranged, but it would have to be before soon.

The week went by, without any more mysterious knockings. Whoever it was, it seemed they had been scared away by something. Devine hadn’t heard anything from the McDonough’s, but he intended to visit, to thank Andy, and to see how Andy’s daughter was feeling.

It had been a dull day in the confession box, and Devine hoped it would continue that way. The door opened and closed with a thud. Devine recognized Old Mick as he came in.

Old Mick’s story wasn’t unusual. A man derided by himself who took to drink. There had been nothing wrong with Mick until a few years after his marriage. He became frustrated with his world.

“Hello, Father.” he grunted.

“Hello, Mick.” Devine never remembered having seen Old Mick at confession. Devine had tried to guide Mick towards the right path, but the lost sheep was skeptic. Devine knew Mick was still waiting for his stroke of luck, but didn’t want to destroy the man’s fantasy. That would only shatter him. He had a kind and beautiful daughter nearing eighteen; enough to satisfy any man except Mick, who never looked farther than his nose.

“Father, I need to talk to you about my wife.” he said without delay, caring little to confess anything.

“Your wife?”

This didn’t seem like a conventional confession. Devine knew that Mick and his wife didn’t get along very well. In fact, the whole town knew.

“Father, she won’t let me go.” said Mick, rubbing his neck with his hand, as though he were trying to detect the leash there that fastened him.

“Let you go? Where do you want to go, Mick?” asked Devine, covering his face with his hand. It might be that after all, he would have to burst Mick’s bubble of fancy.

“I want to leave, Father.” he admitted. “I want to start all over. I’m quitting drink, I haven’t touched a drop in almost two weeks.”

Devine knew that Mick was one of those men who returned to drink, no matter how hard they tried. They grew disillusioned and couldn’t stop themselves. But something sounded different in Mick this time. Besides, Devine never gave up on anyone who thought they could change.

“Well, that’s good Mick, but your place is here, taking care of your family.” said Devine.

“No, Father. You can’t change my mind on that. I’m leaving, I’m going to find a new life for myself.” he said, repeating it almost like a ritual to give him courage.

“Well, if you’re so decided, what’s stopping you?”

“Its my wife, Father!” he said, naming her as his principle antagonist. “She won’t let me go.”

“Well, Mick, how would you feel if she decided to leave you, without any warning at all?”

“Oh, I gave her warning, Father. Years of warning. I told her a thousand times I was going to leave. But she just went on acting as bull-headed as ever. She didn’t iron my clothes or even make dinner when I came home from work. If it weren’t for my daughter Jeanne, I’d be dead of hunger by now!”

“And what do you expect to find when you leave?” questioned Devine.

“Everything, Father. Just getting away from that old hag will be enough! I’m leaving and nobody can stop me except her.”

Devine knew the woman and he always felt uncomfortable around her. She was vulgar and prodding and insinuating, three qualities Devine disliked. He always felt sorry for their daughter, Jeanne.

“Why? Why is she the only one that can stop you?” asked Devine, intrigued. What hold did she have over this man?

“She says she’s pregnant, Father.” A gentle Oh, escaped from Devine’s lips.

“She threatens me with calling the police, if I leave. Sometimes, I wonder if killing her isn’t the easiest solution.” he said, clenching his fist angrily. Devine frowned, but let Mick continue.

“You know that Jeanne is almost eighteen, and I won’t have to take care of her anymore soon, but if that baby is born, I’ll have to wait another eighteen years. And I can’t, Father, I can’t.”

“I see.”

Mick didn’t talk for a minute, awkwardly gathering his courage. Finally, he said,

“Father, I’ve heard of abortion, and I-” he broke off. “Can’t you talk to her, get her to let me go? Please Father.”

For Devine, the moment had come to take a standpoint. He felt sorry for Mick, and believed that he could change, but…Was the abortion out of the question, anyway? Or was it time to end Mick’s illusory dream? He felt so sorry for Jeanne as well, but he had to make a decision.

Skip to Chapter 4
Chinaren

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:  

A doozy of a DP D!

I think there are two issues here. One is the new baby, and one is his marriage.

Do the two have to be linked? It may be hard on the baby if he is the only breadwinner, but what about the baby's father? He needs to put something into the pot.

For the marriage, well it is obviously an unhappy one. I would say go. Of course, I don't know the church's take on this. I believe some denominations don't believe in divorce, so the priest would have to take this into account.

As for the forum. HEM was rename to be: Humor, Experimental and miscellaneous, the last one for stories such as this.

I won't move it, this is Smee's forum and I don't want to tread on his toes, but I think Fantasy is fairly clearly defined*, and this isn't it.

*Dragons, wizards, magic and whatnot.
saxon215

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject:  

the word whatnot being clearly defined?

anyways, tough decision point for sure on this one
abortion is definately against the church they believe that a human is a human and has a soul at the point of conception therefore it would be murder

perhap[s some kind of marrige councelling or something? is the baby maybe a threat
i know if i had an annoying nagging wife i woudltn want to be doing her
LordoftheNight

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject:  

Well, so far it seems like a Catholic community, and (at this period at least) Catholics were anti-abortion and anti-divorce. Devine doesn't seem like the strictest priest ever, but I still expect he wouldn't condone the breaking of his religious laws.

The man swore to love her forever, through sickness and through health, until one of them died. She's quite obviously not dead, so he should stick with her.
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:  

So far, I've read your opinion on what shouldn't be done, but nobody has mentioned anything on how to help. After all, Devine wants to help Mick, his wife and his daughter in the best way possible. How is he going to bring that about?
saxon215

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject:  

im pretty sure i suggested he give them marridge councelling, that was a suggestion
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:  

True, sax. I think that was the only one in two days, though.

Quote: is the baby maybe a threat

Could you explain- I didn't quite understand what you were implying, sax.
saxon215

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:  

well is she pregnant for sure or did she just say she was
maybe i justy didnt read it properly but iut all depends on what she said maybe she's lying about it
Smee

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject:  

Quote: That is not entirely true. For example, upon the Resurrection, it could be argued by some that there is no proof that Jesus rose from the dead, and furthermore, some would assert that the disciples removed his body from the grave so that their story would seem true.

However, someone could offer proof to the contrary. The disciples were very scared after Jesus' death, and went into hiding. Peter even denied Jesus three times. However, upon three days, they suddenly burst forth without fear to proclaim the news of Jesus' ascension. Doesn't this seem strange for men who were cowering only the day before?

Sorry D - wasn't explaining myself very well.

My point. You can throw all these sorts of things at religious people until you're blue in the face. From evidence within their holy book, to scientific arguments such as carbon dating etc. But the fact is they have 'faith' and therefore don't care and ultimately will continue having 'faith' anyway. If that faith makes them happy - great. If that faith make them want to force their faith on others - not great.

Do you so easily forget BS and his more ... heated form of defending his 'faith'. There are many like that.

So - a topic that neither side can be persuaded, convoluted and untenable 'facts, and a tendancy to lead to abuse and flaming!

Why debate it? Let it be. It just gets people wound up.

And before you respond... This is in relation to a 'religious debate' not the much more pleasant discussion on your storygame which is not so much a RD but a discussion of action based on a decision point. So lets get on with that...

~

Some of your best writing D - very easy to read and certainly not dry, as some of your work has been. And indeed a good decision point.

Quote: Don’t forget, Father Dole, to not exploit one’s talent is to sin.” added Turner.

I had to shudder at the implications of this line though. Surely this isn't truely a belief? What if one's talents lie in telling lies? Conning and manipulation (blackmail)? Erotic dance? Bomb creation? Silent assassination?

~

Devine can't recommend abortion. Unless his talents lie in abortion of course, in which case it'd be a sin not to perform it himself.

Sax is right - if he's been saying he's leaving for years, then clearly his wife could be making up the baby to force him to stay for a bit longer. Can he be sure he is the father? Can a herbalist/midwife/doctor confirm the pregnancy?

Mick wants to get away. He's feeling penned in, and stressed. Perhaps a brief time away...as a monk would give him the peace and time for reflection he needs to realise his family responsibilities. Also to realise why he married his wife in the first place. 18 years, there must be some time when he liked/loved her. I don't know if there's a time restriction on becoming a monk, but I'm sure I've heard of places where he could go for a month or two. Perhaps something similar could be arranged by Divine.

If his wife protested, due to the religious nature of the time away Divine could intervene on Mick's behalf to make his wife accept it, reassuring her that it is 'God's' hope that after contemplation Mick would realise he wants nothing more than to go back to her.

As for the daughter. At 18 she can do what she wants. If she is truly unhappy then she could leave and do what she wishes. I'm not sure what Divine could do for her.

EDIT:

As for Fantasy forum... If you're happy here then I'm happy for it to stay.

Whilst it doesn't have the classic elements of fantasy that Chinaren mentioned, it's not set in a modern world at least.

However I do think HEM is a better match. People looking in there for Storygames that are a little different, not just the cliche. You might find more players with a move.

Tis up to you in this case.
LordoftheNight

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:  

Wasn't HEM renamed MEH for just that reason? So it wouldn't be seen as being humourus?
saxon215

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject:  

but meh is something you say when you have nothing else to say and so it would be a place to put soemthing when you have nowhere else to put it
D-Lotus

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: But the fact is they have 'faith' and therefore don't care and ultimately will continue having 'faith' anyway.

True. I guess it is possible for someone to convert another into a religion, but there are very few who revert the process. Although, at least, if you don't change their mind, you won the debate because they have no other argument than faith.

Quote: his 'faith'

Did he say that? Wow.

Quote: Why debate it? Let it be.

Alright, lets drop it. :)

Quote: certainly not dry, as some of your work has been.

Interesting. I think so as well- although the others had more action (like Bushido), but there is more character emotion in this one.

Quote: Surely this isn't truely a belief?

It is. I don't have my bible with me right now, but it is a parable in the New Testament. It is about a man who goes to a foreign country and entrusts his money to three men. Two of the three men use their talents, and acquire twice the sum which the man gave them. The other decides to play it safe, and buries the money. When the man comes back, two of them present him with twice the money he gave them, and the other presents him the same amount he was given. The man praises the first two, and gets angry at the third for not using his talents, condemning him.

Of course, the talents can't be evil. That is understood, because Christianity is against evil (although some bad things have been done in its name), and therefore assasination would not be accepted anyway- wether you're good at it or not.

The fact that Father Turner uses this somewhat controversial parable in the story is significant- after all, Turner is a teensy bit twisted (if you haven't noticed yet).

Quote: Perhaps a brief time away...as a monk

Ooooh! I would have never thought of that! Good job! :D
Lebrenth

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject:  

Take a little quote from anything in the wrong and you can easily have the ambiguity to say anything. It's been done for generations and it fits into the story nicely.

Can we get a year? Or did I just miss it?

I'm totally with the monk idea. I would add to that a consultation with the wife, explaining that her scolding ways drove her husband away and would likely do it again. Suggest that her husband might stay a monk the rest of his life if she doesn't change. Obviously she loves him, or at least she's afraid of losing him, so perhaps the 'monking' could be used as a threat to her everytime she acts up, and no one could hold it against the husband because it's a good cause.

Definitely no abortion or abandonment. Mick came to Devine for justification but he shouldn't give him an inch of it. Make it clear what he's doing, even if he thinks he's turning a new leaf. Ultimately he's just doing the same as always, not facing his problems. That's why he drinks and he'll have more reasons to drink if he leaves. His life will fall apart over and over again. He needs to stand his ground.

And finally, I agree with the others. This SG doesn't fit in Fantasy. It would be better in Skiffy than in Fantasy, but then I think "experimental" should go in Skiffy too, since it sticks out so much in a humor dominated section.

But then as a Skiffy Moderator, my motives might be too transparent.
Smee

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: The fact that Father Turner uses this somewhat controversial parable in the story is significant- after all,

That I realised, and can accept. What was scary was how willing Dole was to accept the parable. Afterall he is a religous man himself, he should be aware of the more controversial statements, and the classic comebacks to it. My opinion of Dole's common sense has been lowered considerably. To be persuaded so completely and without complaint by such a statement.

~

Thanks for the expansion of the money lenders story. One, now you mention it, I'm familiar with. As Lebby said,

"Take a little quote from anything in the wrong and you can easily have the ambiguity to say anything."

I do like Lebby's expansion on the monk idea to work on the wife's less appealing characteristics. Chances are Mick won't like being a monk any more than his wife will like him being away. It could be a neat solution to make both of them more friendly to each other. It should also help with his drinking as Lebby pointed out.
D-Lotus

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject:  

Quote: Father Dole believed firmly in what he had been taught, would argue his opinion fiercely, would never skip a rule, and was obedient as a child to the Church.

Father Dole is described as a firm believer in the bible, as described in the first chapter. He is also described as an 'amateur'- to Turner's opinion. The only way Turner knows of manipulating him is by using the bible in his favor. There is evidence all over of Dole's character. Even his name sounds funny. Although in the quote it says he argued his opinions fiercely, in context it referred to in pro of the church. When Turner told him to do something from the bible, Dole couldn't resist.

Can we get a year?

No. But it wouldn't be off very much if you guestimated somewhere around the early 1900's. ;)
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:  

Is that all? I'll post a poll tomorrow, to give everybody their last chance. I have a feeling the poll will be one sided, because Smee had such a great idea. :D
D-Lotus

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:  

Poll is up!

Happy voting. :D

EDIT:

By the way, if anybody could second this storygame in the SGotM, I would appreciate it. Thanks. :)
chiacutie

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject:  

Meant to but was too late to second! SOZ! Anyways I picked for him to go away because its the most sneaky. Maybe hes not such the great priest after all...?
Mother Goose

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:  

I just got around to this story. Good writing, D; good description and characterization!

About the DP: one, I don't believe in the pregnancy. It's either menopause or she's lying to hang on to Mick.

Two, I doubt if there's any kind of marriage counselling available at that time. (I've just been reading The Forsyte Saga, set in about the same period, and if anybody needed marriage counselling that family did, but it wasn't even hinted at.)

So I vote for the monastery. Maybe he could present it to the wife as a penance to test Mick's real reform, and suggest she take some contemplative time in a convent as well. I suppose the daughter can look after herself for a while?
D-Lotus

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks, Mother Goose. I think that probably settles the poll, but I'll wait for a day or two.

Quote: I doubt if there's any kind of marriage counselling available at that time.

In the poll I wrote "some kind of marriage counselling"- meaning that Devine, or someone else could help them, although not in a proffesional way.

I've begun writing the next chapter, and I'm feeding myself on mythology to come up with some ideas. I hope I don't mess it up. ;)
D-Lotus

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:  

Poll is closed.

The decision was to try to convince Mick to become a monk initiate.

New chapter coming soon- I will find time.
DELETED

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject:  

DELETED

Storygames Home -> Confession Box - COMPLETE
Page 1 of 1