Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Strength Within - Chapter Nine (Needs comments)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

CurlyBear
Tourist

Topics: 0
Location: On one of a group of islands of the coast of Asia. Guess which one.

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to her. Things may yet be reconcilable. Sisters should be friends, and that's that.
I was hated my entire life, and things only got worse when my sister told me she hated me, too. I walked away, and was rescued by three travelers. That night, we were hunted and separated, but we found each other in the end. I met my sister again in a town quite similar to our own. She apologized with such regret that I found the heart to forgive her. We're now together, but things will never be the same.

Read Strength Within, by Adalia.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Curly Bear.. talk to the girl, ya big chicken. And if she' s still pissed, hello four of you, one of her. Well, Ammie's.. meh.. still you have back-up.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not even sure if this place is real - it is not exactly like the place you grew up in, only resembling it. Your sister is here though, so that is strange.

Look for other people you recognise. You were rejected by the rest of the townsfolk too - this could be a hostile place. If this really is your old town, then you need to be careful. And make your friends aware of your situation.

A pleasure to read, Adalia. Smile
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe she's still dreaming. She's not woken up yet.

One typo:

Quote:
sad bundle.

A pleasant read Addy, but I think you need to expand your sentences a bit more, there are times when it's very short and 'sharp'. Merge some of them together perhaps.
Novelest_Ninjagirl
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rocked! I gotta admit, it was got enough that though Iplanne dto just read the first paragraph and tehn get back to packing, before I knew it I was reading the lest sentance! Now, I didn't see any typo's, so at the very least you've been sutle enough with them. Every word told a tale in itself, and I was waiting to see what would happen. Now, as for the unwritten DP: I must say, aviod talking to her. IF she still hates you, she may have told tales of your ' bad deeds' and then the entire village, whether or not it's the same village, will be against you. Most likely, you don't look the same-who would?- so you might get away with just walking. Be sure to tell your allies the possibitletes the first chance you get though.
Adalia
Citizen

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the 'typo'. Thanks, China. And thanks everyone for the comments. Poll will be up tomorrow, so don't forget to vote.

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by Adalia on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adalia
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is up! Choose wisely, dear friends... or just vote, whatever.

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Adalia
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 votes? C'mon, we can do better than that. Get your votes in, people. Only two more days until it closes.

Adalia
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is closed! Thanks for the votes. Next chapter up soon... if all goes according to plan. Very Happy

Adalia
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I do about my situation?

Talk to your sister, ya big chicken. [ 2 ]

Look for other people you recognise [ 2 ]

Tell your companions about it [ 0 ]

Avoid talking to her [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5
Who Voted: Adalia, Chinaren, CurlyBear, Lilith, Scheherazade

Adalia
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the length. Hopefully the quality can make up for it. Happy Reading. Very Happy

Chapter 7: Remorse

As I stood staring at my sister, I realized that I had no idea of what direction we had been traveling. The possibility that this was my hometown assailed me again. Panic grew in my chest. It hurt to breath. My lungs were crying out for the air I couldn't seem to give them. The ground swirled in front of my eyes. I had to close them to keep from falling over in dizziness.

“Are you alright?” Kyan asked me with worry in his usually merry eyes. I was sure that it was obvious on my face that I wasn't okay, but I was glad for the chance to deny it.

“Yes, I'm fine.” I could tell he wasn't convinced, but was relieved when he didn't push the issue. Something had to be done before I passed out from fear. I had to separate myself from them so that I could make sure this wasn't the town where I grew up.

“Umm... perhaps I'm not doing so well, after all. I think I'll have a bit of air.” I began to walk in any direction just to get away. The panic I was feeling wouldn't let go of its hold on me.

“Very well. Meet up with us later; we'll be at the inn. Be careful. Those men may still be searching for us.” With Kyan's words resounding in my head, I continued my trek. I walked for what seemed like hours as the sunlight grew dimmer and the shadows from the houses grew longer. I was tired, but determined to pass through every corner and alley to make sure.

My feet ached from walking, crying for me to rest. I wouldn't listen to them, their pain was relief from my worries. As the minutes passed, I realized that my cheeks were wet from tears that were pouring down my face. I could no longer feel my feet, they were as numb as the rest of me, with the exception of the flowing tears that would not stop.

As my worn boots unsettled the dust of the streets, I heard the distant tintinnabulation of an archaic clock tower. Curiously drawn to the sounds, I ran towards the source, grateful for the distraction.

The tower stood tall, high above this ordinary town. A smile lit my face at the sight of it. Chasing away my fears, its majestic face was something I had never seen before. Relief took the place of the numbness as I ran towards it. I reached its base within minutes, breathless, but happier than I had ever been.

It was a beautiful tower, to me at least. My eyes grew wide as I took in the awesomeness of the structure. It was queer in its design, looking more like a lighthouse than a clock tower. Its shape was cylindrical like any lighthouse, including a black balcony that circled the entire tower. The cylinder ended at the balcony then became a square piece upon which was the clock's face. Made from stone that glistened in the late afternoon sunlight, it stood tall and solemn before me. I couldn't make out it's face very clearly from the point at which I stood, but I could tell that its black numbering was a series of loops and twirls that made it elegant to behold.

When I had finished absorbing the details, I wandered around it until I saw a large, black door. It was open, seeming to send an invitation to enter the dark interior of the tower. Timidly accepting, I stepped through the doorway and glanced around. A little to my right was the beginning of a staircase that spiraled along the walls as a large pendulum swung gracefully from side to side.

I walked toward the staircase, wary of the object swinging precariously close to it. Air whistled around me as it moved. I was thankful that the bells in the tower were no longer chiming, as they would have made the noise inside unbearable.

Climbing as fast as I possibly could, I reached the top with ringing ears and a slight headache. There was a hatch directly above my head and I was desperate for some fresh air. I clumsily pulled at the lever, my hand slipping several times from exhaustion. When it finally flung open, I pulled myself up, my arms straining to yank me through the hole. I laid on my back and took a deep breath before rising and opening the door I had seen through the corner of my eye.

It slid open easily, surprising me. I noticed the view as soon as my eyes turned from the door, and it took my breath away. The now setting sun was casting its light, golden rays on the town, making it glow with an elegant air. The sky was a hue of gold, pink,purple, and dark blue that blended together magnificently.

I smiled and sat on the floor, crossing my ankles while they dangled over the free air. Taking deep breaths, I felt my body begin to relax. I felt a calm flow over me as I stared off into the distance, watching the sun slowly set. An hour passed as I felt myself go back into the familiar numbness I had known for most of my life.

Finally, I stood and walked back the way I had come. It was easier to lift the hatch this time. The noise of the clock's mechanism and the moving pendulum was easier to bear this time around, and I was at the base of the stairs faster than it had taken me to go up. Stepping out through the black door, I walked into the cool night air.

I headed toward the inn, having seen it while traversing the town earlier. After accidentally taking a wrong turn, I reached it and was surprised, and a little wary, to see her standing in front of the doorway. She looked at me and smiled.

“Hey, sis. How've you been?” she asked, clasping her hands together nervously. Were we that estranged?

“I'm okay, Amber, considering,” I whispered, realizing those weren't the words I really wanted to say. I didn't want to hurt her; I still loved her despite everything. The words I truly wanted to say were locked away and I couldn't seem to find the key.

“Considering... I suppose you hate me, don't you? I wouldn't blame you if you did. I'd probably hate me if I were you. All I can say is that I'm sorry. I never should have hurt you that way when I knew that you were already suffering from their hatred. I added to it, acting like a sister never should. I acted like a spoiled child.

“I went after you that night. As soon as I saw the look on your face as I said those words, I wished I could have taken them back. I saw the pain on your face, but I couldn't seem to say anything that wouldn't hurt you.

“I could only walk as I followed after you because I wasn't sure if I could face you after what I'd done. I know my pain is nothing compared to yours, and I have no right to ask, but all I want is for us to be sisters again. Even if we can't be the same as we were, I'll take anything I can get.”

There were no words to describe how I felt. It was like my relief, happiness, and joy had been placed one on top of the other in a stack higher than the sky. No metaphor for flight could compare to the emotion inside of me.

“Amber, I think we'll be okay now. I never hated you. You haven't been handed the best example from anyone, including me. What I mean is, the people surrounding you didn't give you the chance to learn about anything better than hate. I was so absorbed in responding as minimal as possible to them that even I wasn't a very good example. Even though I'm younger, I've had to deal with things most people don't go through, so in a way, I am older. I had to grow up a lot faster than you. It's okay, though. It was the way I was meant to live, something I've accepted.

“We'll be okay.” I glanced at the sky, which was being further darkened by the appearance of menacing clouds.

“Now let's get inside before we get wet from the snow.” I placed an arm around her shoulder and ushered her into the building as the snow began to fall. We settled ourselves near a window and watched as the wind outside grew in intensity and the snowflakes whirled and the glass rattled.

I realized that I was shivering and decided that I couldn't put it off any longer. The others had to know about why I was in that trap the first day we met. With a knot in my stomach, I rose and told my sister that I had some people to introduce her to.

I approached the front desk and tentatively asked the clerk what room Kyan and Andalus were staying in. After receiving the answer, I headed up the wooden stairs with Amber following closely behind. I found the room without much difficulty, their room system was quite efficient. When I entered, I was greeted with a wonderful surprise.

Amethyst was sitting up in the bed closest to the door. A smile was on her face as I entered, and I couldn't help but smile in return. It was indeed a pleasant surprise.

“Ammie, you're awake!”

“Yeah...” she winced,”but still not that great.” I felt Amber begin to quietly retreat, and impulsively grabbed her hand.

“Umm... I-I have a surprise as well,” I moved further into the room to expose Amber to the group,”Ammie, Kyan, Andalus, meet Amber, my sister.” Their reactions surprised me. I had expected a long bout of questioning, instead all of them were silent with odd expressions on their faces. Kyan was blushing beet red, Ammie's face was full of shock with her mouth forming a big O, and Andalus had a knowing smile as if he already understood everything, though I suspected he was merely masking his surprise.

After a moment's silence, they recovered from their lapse of good manners. Kyan and Ammie couldn't seem to introduce themselves fast enough. It was a comical moment, and filled me with joy and gladness to be standing where I was at that precise moment.

“It's wonderful to meet you, Amber. Do you have somewhere to spend the night? If not, I'm sure these girls can find some room for you here.” Andalus smiled, looking at her as if he knew some secret.

“Now, it's late and I'm sure we're all very tired, so we men will leave you ladies alone.” With that Kyan and Andalus exited the room. After settling ourselves in, we “ladies” followed suit. I drifted to sleep, happier than I had ever been.

† † †

That morning, we met the men in the lobby of the inn for breakfast. After eating, we adjourned to the girls' room to feed Ammie. As she ate, Andalus told us that our supplies were getting low and that we would need to go out and buy some from the local shops. Unfortunately, Ammie wasn't well enough to be left alone. So, he proposed that some of us stay behind to attend to her, while the others bought the supplies. It sounded reasonable, so we agreed. All we had to decide was who would stay, and who would go.

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the sisters aren't going to want to be seperated after being estranged for so long.. so how about they split up with both sisters staying with Ammie and Kyan going with Andalus?

It was nice, fluffy chapter, Addy, ... but I can't help for some reason think that it was waaaaaayyyy too easy... *suspicious* But I am going to keep my mouth shut and watch.. just so I don't ruin any surprises you may have in store Smile
Meranos
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Shopping trip or shocking journey??? Reply with quote

New chapter... hmm... nice. OK, soooooooooooo... probably, Amber and Kyan should maybe stay while Andy (mehehehehe) should go with the main character to the stores!!! Smile

Last edited by Meranos on Wed May 14, 2008 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Adalia. Please don't post more than two comments in a row if possible. You've posted five (plus the chapter) in a row above. You can edit your last post for this sort of thing.

Thanks.
CurlyBear
Tourist

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why their supplies would be getting low. I mean, they started out with three people and now there is an extra two.

Well, I will say that Amber going with Andalus just doesn't make any sense and I agree that the main character wouldn't likely want to leave her sister. Therefore, I must agree with Lily: girls day in, guys day out.

I was hated my entire life, and things only got worse when my sister told me she hated me, too. I walked away, and was rescued by three travelers. That night, we were hunted and separated, but we found each other in the end. I met my sister again in a town quite similar to our own. She apologized with such regret that I found the heart to forgive her. We're now together, but things will never be the same.

Novelest_Ninjagirl
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Bit mushy for my taste but*shrugs* that's my opinion, and I write chapters like this sometimes too. Anyway, I think that Amber, who's been here at least a little longer, might know the stores better, so she and the main charrie should go out, and leave kyan with Ammie. Those two are friends anyway. Keep the great work up!
Adalia
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red Sorry, China. I'll try to remember that.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, ladies and gent. I think it's about time for a poll. So, if you'll give me a second...

EDIT: Poll is up.

Lilith
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeze that's a lot of mixed up options *eyes cross* hehe! VOTED!
Adalia
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is closed. Chapter 8 coming soon!

EDIT: Who goes, and who stays?

Sisters stay with Ammie; Kyan and Andalus get the supplies [ 3 ]

Amber and Kyan stay with Ammie; Andalus and the main character get the supplies [ 1 ]

Kyan and Andalus stay with Ammie; sisters get the supplies [ 1 ]

Who Voted: CurlyBear, Lilith, Meranos, Novelest_Ninjagirl, Scheherazade

Adalia
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 8: Bonding

“It's settled, then. Have fun, ladies. Come Kyan, your education has been lying in neglect. It's time you learned some survival skills.”

Kyan groaned at Andalus' words. “Lucky me.” Andalus stood up from the simple wooden chair he had been on, and pulled Kyan through the door.

Now that we were alone, Ammie settled back against her pillow, relaxed, and was soon fast asleep. Amber and I moved further away from her sleeping form so that she wouldn't awaken to our conversation. We each wanted to know what the other had been up to, so I let her start because I wasn't too eager to tell my story.

“Where to begin...? When you left, I felt nausea at how cruel I had been to you. I was afraid that you would never forgive me for the cutting words I said, so I stood there and watched you walk away. When you were no longer in sight, I panicked and ran in the direction you had gone. I had never been without you before, at least, not in a place I didn't know. My movement turned to walking because I didn't really want to catch up to you; I wasn't sure what I'd end up saying if I did. I was soon lost...”

† † †

She was lost, just as I had been then. Not knowing which direction to go, she chose a direction and walked. Her feet grew tired as the sky became orange with the setting sun. She sat against a tree, and leaned her head on it in thought. Time slipped by her consciousness; she was unaware of the gathering darkness, of the menacing shadows of night. Her eyes were open, but she wasn't really seeing anything; she was consumed by the remorseful thoughts in her mind.

Suddenly disturbed by the sound of pounding hooves, she jumped to her feet in alarm. A band of about ten men halted, the leader dismounting from his midnight stallion. He approached, stopping within five feet of her.

“Well, look what we have here; a little girl all alone in the dark. What will we do with her, men?”

“Nothing. You're not going to touch a hair on her head,” said an authoritative voice from the cover of the trees, “These are my woods, and any traveler who stumbles into it is under my protection. You already know this, so why are you patronizing this one under my protection?” A large group of people dropped from the trees in a wide circle that surrounded the bandits. The man who had spoken, the leader, was standing his full height of nearly six foot three. His snowy white hair fell in an unruly manner, curving around the shape of his face up to chin; his broad shoulders complemented his build adequately, and red irises peeked out from under his long bangs.

“I was intending no harm to her, Zede. You can return to whatever tree you're descended from.”

“Be careful with your insults, Mallis, or you may not have a tongue for them next time. Leave the girl alone, and no harm will come to you; you can all depart unscathed, or dead. Make your choice.” He glared sternly at Mallis, his face a smooth mask betraying no uncertainty or anger.

Mallis nodded curtly, mounted his horse, and galloped into the trees, his men following close behind. With the sound of the threat now fading, Amber took her chance to breath, and turned to thank Zede for his help. He nodded to her, still betraying no emotion.

He sighed, snapped his fingers, then wandered into the shadows of the trees as his troop trailed his disappearing figure. One member, a dark skinned female, placed her hand briefly on Amber's shoulder before blindfolding her, and taking her to their nest. Amber had no idea which directions they followed; she didn't know how long it took for them to reach it, all she was aware of was when they stopped.

The female removed the blindfold and disappeared without a word. Zede approached and motioned for her to follow. After a moment's hesitation, she obeyed, not really terrified of anything they might do to her, but rather the idea of being in a new environment.

He ushered her onto a rope ladder, through three interconnected trees, and up some small wooden steps that were invisible from the ground. Urging her into the opening before them, he explained the reason for the room. His band frequently saved travelers from the likes of Mallis, and those people frequently needed a place to stay for a night. Kistra, the woman who had taken her to their nest, had devised a 'guest room' for just such people. Amber had been given the honors to stay.

As it was mealtime, Zede extended an invitation for her to eat with them before retiring to the room. She gladly accepted, silently sighing in relief at the thought of not going to bed hungry. He smiled as if he could guess her thoughts, leading her out the room and further up the steps. They balanced their way along a thick branch onto the next tree and into it through a small opening barely big enough for them to fit. They descended a staircase that spiraled along the walls, before reaching a large hall lined with tables.

People were wandering through the room, conversation buzzing within the crowd. Zede aided her in finding a seat before seating himself across from her. After everyone had been seated, the conversations grew muffled as full mouths burst out laughing or spoke. Amber eyed the steaming venison, creamy vegetables, and fresh rolls on her plate. Her eyes grew wide at the flavors in her mouth after the first bite.

“So, what were you doing out there, may I ask?” inquired Zede with a smile.

“I was searching for my sister. Perhaps you've seen her, she has jet black hair, gray eyes, and pale skin. I'm sure she was visibly upset.” Amber replied between bites.

“I'm sorry, I haven't. But... give me a moment, will you?” With that, he rose and walked over to another table. He shifted from table to table before returning a moment later with a pleasant expression on his face.

“I have good news, a scout saw someone matching your description, and three others camping under a tree tonight. They're most likely headed to the village a day's journey from the edge of the woods. I've arranged for you to be escorted as far as the boundary of our forest; I'm afraid that's all I can do for you.”

Amber nodded, grateful for at least that much. The meal passed quickly, and she soon found herself in bed. It was simply made, with nothing in the room too lavish to match it. Clearly, it was meant for only an overnight stay.

† † †

“In the morning, they did as they promised, blindfolding me the entire way, and I reached this place by nightfall. I secured a room here at the inn despite my lack of funds. It was wonderful meeting you when I did because, though the innkeeper has a soft heart, he can only do so much. If we didn't meet when we did, I would have been shivering outside.” Amber grew quiet, thoughtful.

I glanced in Ammie's direction, wondering if she needed anything. She was awake, sitting with her feet on the floor, with deep concern etched on her perfect features. She was staring at the window, or rather the dim light filtering in from it.

“Have Kyan and Andalus come back yet?”

“No...” The look on her face was making me anxious.

“Something's wrong; they should be back by now.” I was stunned at her words because she was right. They were taking much too long.

CurlyBear
Tourist

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling this was not a very important DP. Well, I would have to say, go look for them in case they are in trouble.

I'm really sorry about not posting until now. I will try to post sooner next time.

Meranos
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: NECROPOLIS IS OUT! Reply with quote

I'd say Stay there, maybe practice your fight skills in case you need them, maybe clue amber in while your at it... on YOUR tale. since they last met. Nice chappy anyway. Smile
Adalia
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks guys. That's two options. Anyone else?

Crossfire
Citizen

Topics: 5
Location: Somewhere between here and not-here, now and not-now... in the half-light, the borderlands, between.

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Meranos wrote:
I'd say Stay there, maybe practice your fight skills in case you need them, maybe clue amber in while your at it... on YOUR tale. since they last met. Nice chappy anyway. Smile

I think you mean "you're". Also "Amber". Additionally, the period after "tale" should be a comma. Smile

Silent eyes decide the wise and unwise - for one that lies. Let it arise.
Adalia
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go ahead and poll. So... VOTE NOW!

Adalia
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With such an obvious poll, I decided to close it. Chapter 9 up soon!

Poll results:
Andalus and Kyan are taking too long. What should the girls do?

Go look for them [ 4 ]
Stay there [ 0 ]
Adi's Point (Do Not Disturb) [ 1 ]

Who Voted: Adalia, CurlyBear, Lilith, Meranos, Tipico

Adalia
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took so long. RL is going to keep me quite busy, so I have to put this on hiatus for a while. If my schedule improves, then I'll be back with a smash! Enjoy!

Chapter 9: Direction

I turned to Amber. She nodded, faced Amethyst and said,” Let's search for them; the market isn't that far.” Ammie stood in response, gracefulness in every motion she made. Amber and I rose from our seats, swiftly walking to the door. As Amber opened the door, I offered my arm to support Ammie.

She politely refused, stepping through the door. She was healing much faster than a normal human being. I supposed that her magic was aiding in the process, but still it should take awhile for her to recover fully. There had been many cases of broken bones in our town, a shadow such as myself would notice such details.

We trumped down the wooden stairs, as calm as we could be. Exiting the inn, Amber led us in the direction of the market. We blended with the crowds on the cobblestone streets, darting our eyes to the left and right, searching for them.

Suddenly, I saw them beckoning to us from the shadow of a nearby building. Moving my head to face the other two, I realized that they had noticed as well. We cautiously walked in their direction. They pulled us into the shadows and spoke in whispers.

“Those men that captured us in the clearing are here. We were buying some fruit for the journey when I noticed a man staring at us. At first I merely passed him off as a curious buyer, but when I sneaked another glance, I realized that his dress resembled that of the men who had stood watch over us. I alerted Dal to the situation and we hurriedly ended our transaction, then lost ourselves in the crowd. I gazed back, but he was gone.”

“We are in need of a quick departure. You four return to the rooms and pack our belongings, be sure not to be seen. I will meet you at the edge of town.” Andalus turned and disappeared around the corner, leaving us as mystified by him as ever we were.

Shrugging our shoulders, we turned and made our way to the inn. We hurried up the steps without speaking to anyone. As we ladies began packing, Kyan mumbled something about paying for the rooms, before exiting through the door. Within an hour, Amber, Amethyst, and I had finished our work, with a small pile of bundles lying in the middle of the room.

When Kyan returned, we distributed the bundles and left the room. The lowest floor of the inn was chilly, but nothing unbearable. Outside, however, was an entirely different story. The ground was covered by a white blanket as far as my eyes could see, and my breath came out in white clouds. I glanced toward the sky, watching a raven fly by. Is it looking at me? I continued following the others, a shiver running down my spine.

As we walked, we searched for any peering eyes. There were few people in the streets, some on last minute errands, others simply enjoying the snow before losing all sunlight. No one glanced our way, being too busy with their own thoughts. Despite the potential danger we faced, a calm settled over me like the snow that blankets the ground at night. The distant laughter of children, the snow crunching beneath my feet, all creating a peace that might not last.

Finally, we reached our destination and passed through the arch that had previously welcomed us. Andalus was leaning against a tree with his arms crossed and eyes closed. Kyan and Ammie nodded to each other, walking off in different directions in an attempt to surround him. As they approached, making even less noise than a mouse would, he opened his eyes and said, “You fail.”

They burst into laughter, making me grin at their fun. When a smile was all that was left of it, we continued our journey, our faces reflecting the dim light of twilight. As we walked, Amber came up beside me and asked, “I don't want to pry, but... have you told them about your name?”

“No. In truth, I've been avoiding it, but I suppose I ought to tell them... everything.” I sighed, “I'll do it tonight, after we set up camp.”

† † †

The sun had set long before we found a suitable site to settle. It took just as long as usual to set up, about as long as it takes for one to get dressed. With a fire in the midst of us and a meal on our laps, conversation flowed like water. Although we might have appeared to be enjoying ourselves, truly the air was thick with tension. Every nightly noise was a warning of the danger surrounding us.

“So Amber, you are sisters, correct?” Andalus clarified.

“Yes, we are. In fact, she has something to say.” Amber turned to me and smiled in encouragement. With my head bowed, I told them everything. Every detail of the life I had known, every hated word and every false one. I described the hatred the town had borne against me, and the circumstances that led me to them. Lastly, I told them about my name.

“I don't have a name. Ever since my birth, I've been referred to as that girl or her. I even requested that Amber merely call me sister. I apologize for withholding my tale, but I was unsure whether I could trust you or not. I believe I can.” I smiled shyly at the ground, relieved at the weight lifting from my shoulders.

“On behalf of my charges and myself, thank you. I'm glad you saw fit to trust us with your past. As this seems to be a time for narratives, I shall tell you all one.

“As I told you before, if you remember, the king's messenger has been searching for us for some time now. Therefore, we are headed to the his majesty's palace. There are several courses to take, each with there own dangers.

“North would be the most direct way, but also the most exposed. The eastern path would provide more cover. It is the most traveled, and it would provide some measure of protection, but the going would be slow. The mountains westward are rugged, with steep slopes, but they would provide the best chance of slowing our pursuers. With this mysterious group of men on our tails, we need to choose wisely.“

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: