Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Slaves of the Moon 3: Every Day

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

ChoKiba
Resident

Topics: 3

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Slaves of the Moon 3: Every Day Reply with quote

Alright, This story has been up a couple places, but I think that I'll try to finish it, so I'll let you guys see it from the beginning as I revise it. I would love comments on it and all that jazz Very Happy

I felt sick to my stomach as I watched Juliet flirt with three guys at once (brothers no less!). They were new to town and the high school. They had all their classes together. They also had all of my classes. I could have dismissed that as a coincidence if they hadn't been standing in front of the diner when I had arrived for work. Now I was stuck watching Juliet single-handedly flirt with them. I wanted to shoot myself (or maybe Juliet). I didn't though. I had a job to do and there was no way I was going to go to jail for shooting Juliet. If I was going to kill that girl, I was going to do it without getting caught.

I grabbed my notepad and pen from my apron and walked over to their booth putting on a big fake smile. I had the feeling, even as I walked over, that was I was forgetting something, but I pushed that thought aside as I spoke. "Good Afternoon. My name is Emma and I'll be your server today. Are you ready to order?"

Juliet looked up at me and sneered. She opened her mouth to speak, but the biggest of the three guys spoke first. "My brothers and I are new here. Could you please get us some menus and water?"

"Of course, I'll be right back," I said. I didn't let my smile slip until I had turned around and walked a little ways away. How could I have been so stupid?! I had completely forgotten the menus. I knew better. It was a silly mistake to make. I went to the back and grabbed a tray and filled up four cups of water. I grabbed four menus on my way out and distributed them at the table. "Take your time, I'll be back in a few minutes."

I walked past their table quickly and to the table at the end of the aisle where Jack Pierson, a forty-something year old man who came to the diner daily. "Afternoon Jack," I said with a genuine smile. As a regular, Jack had become one of my friends along with many of the people that I worked with.

"Well I'll be, how is my favorite server today?" Jack asked smiling.

"Soldiering on as always," I assured him with a halfhearted laugh. "You want the usual?" I asked.

"And another cup of coffee if you can manage it," Jack said nodding his head with a smile.

I made a few notes on my pad and went back to the kitchen. "What ya got for me?" Colin, the cook asked.

"Jack's here. He wants his usual and coffee," I said putting the order up on what I would forever call the spinner and turning it so that it faced Colin. He was good, but he wasn't always the best with his memory. Nobody's perfect after all.

"I'll put another pot on." Colin said turning away.

I waited a moment after Colin turned away before looking back towards the "booth of flirting". I took a deep breath before forcing another fake smile on my face and walking back to the table. "Are you ready to order?" I asked with false cheerfulness.

"You know Emma," Juliet said. "That yellow really isn't your color. you really would be better off a the penitentiary. Those gray things are more suited for you." Her voice was, at the same time, smooth and condoning.

"Oh, but I left that job just for you Juliet," I replied with an easy smile. Juliet and I had been at this for years. There was no way that she would ever upstage me with insults.

"We all know uniforms have never been my style," Juliet shot. "Who knows, maybe they'll even let you visit your father."

"Maybe I could get them to have your dad join him," I snarled, my smile dropping for a moment. She could always get me with my father and she knew it.

"Just because my dad shut your father's business down doesn't mean-"

"Can I get three cheeseburgers and fries?" One of the three guys asked abruptly. The question was so sudden that it caught both me and Juliet by surprise.

"O-of course," I stuttered trying to bring myself back to reality. My face flushed with embarrassed color. Stupid, stupid me, again messing up with customers around this time. "What would you like to drink?"

"Root beer," it was the big guy who had interrupted again. I suppose I should have known.

The black haired one spoke next. "Two fish and chip baskets with lemonade please."

"I'll have two orders of chicken strips and I'd like an ice tea with no sugar if you will?" The third brother had black hair with brown highlights and, I won't lie, I was almost certain that his eyes had been watching me the whole time. I could have been wrong though. After all, he was cute so I would be nuts if I said that I wouldn't have minded his attention.

"And you Juliet?" I asked cautiously. I was afraid of what kind of insult she would try next so my caution was well warranted.

"A salad with low fat dressing and a diet coke." Juliet ordered almost slamming her menu in my face.

"Of course," I said with a strained smile. I turned on my heel and nearly fled the table. I nearly tore off the clip on the spinner as I rushed to get the paper with the order out of my hand. I was glad to have it gone. Colin laughed at me and I stuck my tongue out at him in reply.

"Get those drinks out and Jack's order will be ready when you get back," Colin ordered with a laugh. I rolled my eyes and moved to get the drinks.

"Alright, alright," I said waving a dismissive hand.

I took the drinks out and didn't say a word. I made it back into the kitchen without so much as a glance or a word from Juliet. I silently celebrated. Maybe God was back on my side in this war. With the "war" between Juliet and I, was almost certain sometimes that fate or God was against me with some of the incidents that happened, but those tales can be left for a later date. I grabbed Jack's order and put it on the tray. I balanced it in one hand and took the coffee pot in the other. I walked purposefully and quickly towards Jack's table. It was natural and relaxing really. This was something I had been doing for the past few years, ever since I had gotten this job. It was something I knew, a skill no one could take from me.

Then, out of nowhere, I found myself pitching headlong to the ground. The tray flew forward and the coffee pot fell under me. It shattered meaning that I was about to land in hot coffee and glass and the glass that bit into me was probably going to embedded into my skin, if it didn't bounce away to cut the customers. Two strong arms wrapped around me and pulled me into a lap. It all happened in an instant, but it had seemed to take forever. I understood the meaning of slow-motion now. And it terrified me. How had this happened and how had I been saved so easily?

Jack stared at the person who had caught me in shock before running out of the diner. That alone kind of scared me. I had a feeling I knew who had saved me because I knew what table I had been passing and where I had been at when I had started to fall. It made me a little nervous to turn around and face the one who had kept me from getting seriously hurt."You should not have done that Juliet." The person holding me admonished her coldly. "Someone could have been seriously injured."

Oh the irony, I thought to myself as the said the exact same things that I had been thinking moments before.

Juliet rolled her eyes. "She's perfectly fine."

Colin came out of the kitchen and looked from me, to the coffee, to the tray, and then to Juliet. My face turned bright red. He and I both knew what had happened. And I was still sitting in my savior's lap! That made it even worse. "Do I need to ask what happened?" He asked me while glaring at Juliet

"No Colin, it was my fault." I lied. "I'll clean this all up, and if you want, I'll leave afterward."

Colin's eyes softened as he sighed and looked at me. "Alright Emma, come speak to me before you leave."

I nodded and stood up carefully. I turned to the man who had caught me. He was the third brother. His eyes were gold...pure gold and they stopped me. They were beautiful eyes full of empathy, caring, and concern. Few people had looked at me quiet like that and none with those eyes. "Th-thank you," I finally managed to whisper. "Thank you for catching me."

"I'll always catch you Emma," he promised softly.

Last edited by ChoKiba on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Amichan
Treasurer

Topics: 18
Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off welcome to our fair City secondly you have a great story here!!! there will be a few comments but since you have it in the linear district you dictate how this story goes... happy writing
Midnight
Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the City ChoKiba. I enjoyed reading your story so far, can't wait to read more of your writing. Very Happy

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to IF Choccybar!

Well written stuff here, though some of her reactions seem a smidgeon excessive considering she knows Juliet* well.

Anyhoo, keep it going!

*Looking forward to the steamy flashbacks.
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely written!

Although I am picking up hints of Twilight. Not good.

Tea Cures All.
ChoKiba
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thank you to the four of you for the compliments. As for those hints of Twilight, eep, I hope not. This is to be original and something different and unique. work and I wouldn't want to ever be accused of being a wanna-be of anyone. So hopefully perspectives will change as the story progresses.
Klafarius
Resident

Topics: 4

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the City! An interesting story you've got going here. It's not my usual cup of tea but it has caught my interest. Great start!

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good!

Hope to see some more very soon. Cool
Bronze
Tourist

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it and welcome to IF! The title reminds me of some of the stuff I'm writing so I'm wondering if you've got the same ideas as me Wink if you do your doing far better than me haha!

Have fun writing and I'll avidly follow this Very Happy its caught my interest for sure.
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice so far. Looking forward to more.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really impressed with how well paced this is Cho... not rushed but not dragging on forever with description (I am a guilty party of both of these sometimes) but this flows right along and I'm not seeing any grammar/spelling problems.

I'm not detecting the Twilight hints that someone else commented on, because the eye color would be the only thing. Emma was going by the table that the three boys were sitting at, that's how she tripped because Juliet did it. So it's not unreasonable to think one of them stood and leaned over to catch her.

(Please don't get me started on the sparklies rant .. I've already made one Twilight fan angry at me tonight.. teehee.)

© 2007-2019 Lilith
ChoKiba
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I promise, this is not a twilight rip off. You shall see. You just have to guess. The truth will come out eventually, just not yet. Not even close to yet.

Sweeping up glass that is surrounded by sticky liquid is not a fun job. If anyone ever tells you that it is, they’re lying. I can tell you that from experience. It took me about twenty minutes to clean everything up and during that time, everyone on that particular side of the café, moved. I couldn’t really blame them, but it still kind of put me out. It was stupid to blame myself. It had been Juliet’s fault after all. She had been the one to trip me, but I still felt stupid about it all. That probably doesn’t make sense to most people, but when you take responsibility for all the things in your life, it starts to be that it doesn’t matter if a thing makes sense or not. It’s just the way it is and you have to live with that fact.

I dreaded going back to talk to Colin. Besides being one of the cooks, Colin also happened to be my boss. He had complete control over whether I kept my job or lost it. I was probably making a bigger deal out of everything than I needed to, but it seemed the natural thing to do at that moment. After all, I needed my job and messing up like this (breaking dishes and lying aren’t the best idea no matter how long you’ve had a job) wasn’t the best idea. I could only hope that Colin would be lenient since he did understand the situation. I walked back to Colin’s office and took a deep breath before I knocked. Colin called out for me to enter and I went into the room closing the door behind me. “Why did you lie Emma?”

I sighed and ran a hand through my red hair. I didn’t want to have to explain this. I didn’t really have much of a choice though. I could lie, but it wouldn’t sit well with me. “I don’t know Colin. It just seemed like that right thing to say. You know…the customer is always right,” I muttered lamely.

Colin sighed shaking his head. “I don’t care who Juliet Riley is or who her father is. What she did was dangerous. And for as much as you say you hate her Emma, you defend her more than anyone. You need to stop trying and protecting everyone Emma. It’s going to be the death of you.” I knew hew as right. But knowing that a person is right and actually trying to change who you are is two completely different things. Anyone who has been in this situation will understand. According to the shrink I had to go to for a while after my family issues first began, I am a green-blue personality and that is the stem of a lot of my problems. You see, for those non-psychology oriented people out there, green is the analytical person. We plan things out, logical and based on reason and fact. Unfortunately, you find the opposite in the Blues. Blue means emotion. That alone should tell you something about my personality.

“I know Colin. I’ve been telling myself that for years. It just doesn’t always work out so well.” He had seen that through the years, but he hadn’t stopped encouraging me. I had known Colin long before I had gone to work with him. After all, he was the husband to my neighbor and legal guardian, Susan Briggs. He had known me all throughout my time growing up. He knew most every struggle I had gone through. He was sometimes more of a father to me than that father that I loved very much. His wife was certainly more of a mother than mine had ever been. I refused to think about that though. I had other worries to focus one. “I’ll try harder though. And I understand if you don’t want me around anymore.”

Colin laughed and rolled his eyes. “Jeez Emma! What are you thinking? I’m not going to fire you. You’re a good worker and what happened out there was not your fault. Don’t ever think any differently either. Now go home and get that little sister of yours. Take a few days off and then come back in on Monday. I’m sure that you’ll see I’m right.” So Colin wasn’t firing me, just giving me a forced leave of absence. I had no real choice but to obey either.

I sighed and nodded, “Alright, just as long as you promise I’ll have my job back come Monday.”

Colin laughed. “Get out of here kiddo. I wouldn’t fire you. You kidding? Susan would kill me!” I even had to laugh at that as I turned and left his office. Talking with Colin was a comfort. It helped relax me. And now I could go back to my sister, sane in some way. I knew that Cassie would appreciate that too. She hated seeing me upset for any reason. She was like me in that sense. We were both the caretakers. We hated seeing others in pain. We would do almost anything to prevent it. The difference was that I was seventeen and my sister was ten. It was my job to protect her.

I said goodbye to the other waitress and cook as I went back into the kitchen and grabbed my things, clocking out as I went. I wish that I could have gotten more hours from the last shift, but there was only so much I could do. That and technically there were only so many hours I could work while still being in high school. Come May though, I would be out of school and I could work full-time. Call it a stupid Mary-Sue, martyr self-sacrifice if you will, but you’ve never been in my situation. Sometimes, a person has to make sacrifices for the people they love and I was one of those gladly willing to do that.

I made my way out the back of the diner to the “employee” parking lot. It was really just a gravel lot where the employees parked their cars. Mine was one of the ones that fit in with everyone else’s. It was slightly dingy, about ten years old, but still in good working condition. A girl really couldn’t complain. It was better than nothing.

What was leaning on the hood of my dingy car was cause for complaint. Kind of. It was one of the three brothers. From the look of it, he was waiting for me. I paused at the back door before I crossed my arms over my chest hugging my big coat to me as I crossed over the gravel to where he and my car sat waiting. He scrambled to stand as I approached, a smile on his face. It made me blush and I was glad it was dark. I felt stupid for blushing for no reasons. “Hello,” he said with a slight inclination of his body at the waist. Kind of like a bow, but too short and curt. “I am Kayne Volkov,” he said holding out his hand.

“Emma Bryant,” I said nodding and reaching out to shake his hand. Instead, he grabbed my hand and kissed the back of it gently. His lips lingered for a moment before he pulled away, seemingly unwilling to let go of my hand. “Wh-what do you want?” I managed to get out after a moment of silence. Since when did a cute guy have manners? And since when did they ever talk to me when they did?

“I wanted to introduce myself to you. I hope to see more of you after all and it didn’t seem right to do it if you didn’t know who I am.” Kayne was smiling. I could see the glint of his white teeth even in the semi-darkness as my eyes continued adjusting. My eyes didn’t linger long on that smile though. They were too drawn to his gold eyes. Eyes that glowed in the darkness. Eyes that never seemed to leave me for a moment.

“Kayne!” A voice snapped from the darkness. I jumped and snatched my hand from Kayne. The smile disappeared and his eyes jerked away from me towards the voice with a slight animalistic glint in them.

“What?” The word came out more as a snarl than an actual word and it took me by surprise.

“Wulfrick’s summoned,” the other voice said. The biggest of the three brothers stepped into one of the pools of light on the sidewalk. “He said now.”

Kayne sighed and ran a hand through his dark hair. He was silhouetted by the darkness now, his eyes still glowing as he turned back to me. “I’m sorry Emma. I wanted to talk with you more. Maybe you’d like to have lunch with me and my brothers tomorrow.”

One part of me told me to say no. Nothing good could come of any of this. Another part of me, told me I was crazy if I said no. “Uh, sure,” I finally conceded. A wolfish grin overtook Kayne’s face.

“We’ll hold you to that,” he called as he ran to join his brother.

Last edited by ChoKiba on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... I am going to keep quiet. Methinks I sees what is going on here... but again, the pacing comment still holds true. Good stuff.

© 2007-2019 Lilith
Midnight
Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive. I must say, I am noticing the twilight in it with a mix of the Mortal Instruments too, but I don't think this story will follow that path. Very Happy

I did happen to notice just a few errors, nothing major. Just have another read through and you should notice it. Other than that I really enjoyed it, and the descriptions were very nice.

Looking forward for more. Very Happy

Amichan
Treasurer

Topics: 18
Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not bad Cho just keep an eye on the spelling i think i saw one little error but over all i'm loving it so far
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. Pretty much what Kang said; a couple errors, but nowhere near enough to detract from my enjoyment.

Keep it up!
ChoKiba
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know I'm not messing up too badly! Alright, bear with me with this chapter, it's pretty boring, more a filler, but I can't really get rid of it in my mind.

I wish I could say that I got home without incident. I didn’t. I was a few blocks away from my trailer when my car sputtered to a stop. Looking down at the gas gauge, I could have smacked myself. After everything that had happened, I had forgotten that I had planned on stopping at the gas station before going home. I was officially out of gas. I had at least managed to get my car over to the side of the road before it had died completely. Otherwise, I would have been in big trouble. I didn’t have the money to pay for the tow truck that would have been needed if I couldn’t move my car. Instead, I was forced to walk the last three blocks back to the trailer I shared with my baby sister, Cassie.

I wasn’t worried about getting jumped or anything like that. I knew this neighborhood. It was a safe place. That night was no different, I was happy to say. When I got back to the trailer, I took a shower before I called Susan and told her that I was home. Two minutes later, the little blonde haired, blue eyed bubble that was my baby sister came bouncing into the room, grinning at me brightly. That made everything better. “Where’s the car?” Cassie asked screwing up her face and jerking her thumb back towards the street outside.

“I forgot to fill up on gas,” I confessed. “That means I’ll be walking you to school tomorrow.” Cassie sighed and shook her head before trotting over and hugging me. Her hug spoke volumes. Cassie wasn’t always the talkative type. Though she was ten years old, she never seemed to find any amusement in chatting for hours on end, much to my delight. I couldn’t figure out where she had gotten it from, but I wasn’t going to complain about the matter either. If Cassie wanted to say something, she said it. That was what mattered to me. “Come on kiddo, let’s get you to bed.”

I woke up to my alarm clock beeping loudly. I smacked the annoying contraption. It was 6:08. I would love to still be sleeping, but I had too much to do for that. And I was used to getting up around six by now. I had been doing it since I had moved into the trailer with Carrie. I had to make sure that the laundry was done, the dishes were washed, lunches were made, blah, blah, blah. Plus, with the car our of commission, I would have to walk Carrie to school before going back to the other side of town to the high school.

I pulled myself out of bed and threw on a pair of sweatpants and a baggy shirt as I began to clean around the house. I knew I probably wouldn't have time to change before I walked Carrie to school and went to school myself, but that didn't matter. I didn't care how I looked. I had other things on my mind. I wanted to know how Kayne Volkov had caught me so quickly in the restaurant. I wanted to know how the three Volkov brothers had known that I worked where I did. I really wanted to know why I had dreamed about Kayne Volkov and wolves.

Of course, the answers weren't coming, but it got everything really clean as I attacked everything with a new determination. As I finished scrubbing the dirty kitchen sink and I sat and leaned up against the cabinets. I was exhausted still. I wanted to curl up in bed and die. I had things to do though. I couldn't let Carrie down. She was depending on me. Our parents had let her down, I could not.

I stood up and stretched my aching muscles and looked at the clock. It was time to wake up Carrie, get her dressed and ready for school, and make sure the lunches were done. Carrie is wonderful when it comes to waking her up in the morning. Unlike most children, Carrie is a morning person. It only takes one shake and she's out of bed. It was the same this morning as it was every morning.

I went into the kitchen, opened the fridge and groaned softly. I was supposed to go grocery shopping yesterday. We only had enough food to make one lunch. My luck was just getting worse day after day. I sighed and took out the stuff for Carrie's lunch. I would have to ask Susan to take me to the store after I picked up Carrie from school. I only hoped that I had enough money to give her for gas, pay for groceries, and put gas in my tank.

It was already almost seven-thirty when I looked at the clock again. "Are you ready Carrie?" I called.

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" Carrie said sprinting out of her bedroom with her backpack and her jacket. The walk was all of twenty minutes meaning that Carrie was on time. She still had another thirty minutes until the bell would ring. "Carrie, I want you to stay inside with the teachers today. Unless you see me or Susan, you don't go with anyone. Is that understood?"

"Well, duh," Carrie said.

"Alright, I'll pick you up after school. I love you sis." I kissed her cheek, ruffled her hair and watched her walk inside the school. It's hard work trying to raise your little sister from infancy. Sometimes, I tried to resent Carrie for it, but I never really could. I love my little sister too much. I would do almost anything for her. That's why I go through all of this.

Now it was my turn to walk to school. An hours walk in the opposite direction. I was going to be late, there was no doubt about that.

CHAPTER THREE POLL UP

FIRST CHAPTER UP
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: