Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
A.D.A.M

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Swordfish
Tourist

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: A.D.A.M Reply with quote

Episode 1: You may call me A.D.A.M

It jostled awake with a sudden scream swinging in free fall and thrusting out its arms for something to grab onto. Hands or whatever served as such found purchase on something nearby, a slightly curved metal surface. The metal creaked loudly beneath the beings hands as whatever it had grabbed onto moved slightly. Slowly it came to realize it wasn’t falling, but suspended in the air with a harness strapped around its cylindrical body. It uttered a sigh of relief before attempting to undo the contraption snaked about its form.

The creature secured in the harness froze a moment and looked down at its hands. Where fingers should have been there were simple pseudo digits only able to grasp cylindrical shapes and nothing more complex than that. Dismayed it realized it was trapped in this little cubby in the restraint. Frantically the metal creature began to thrash, knocking and jostling the other forms around it. Suddenly something came to life nearby, lights flickering into existence and forming the likeliness of a human face. With slow horror the metal being discovered it was staring at an exact copy of itself. A scream was beginning to form in its audio files. The other machine spoke,

“Hello, I am automated destination achiever machine number eight-sixty-two. You may call me A.D.A.M. How can I help you today?”

Without realizing what it was doing the contraption responded back saying, “Hello, I am A.D.A.M eight-twenty-one. What is our current location?”

The other automation bobbed its head in a sagely manner as it spoke, “we are currently in the engineer and robotics facility of the Landers City transportation centre. We are waiting to be installed into our designated transport vehicles.”

Was Adam its own name as well? Adam looked around the compartment some more. Now that his photoreceptors had adjusted to the gloom he could make out a small group of other robots hanging in the tiny closet. The rest were either bisected or missing heads. As far as he could tell he was the only one awake. The other machine had fallen silent and was asleep once more. Adam was scared. That was the first curious feeling that washed through his systems. He wanted to be outside in an open area and not jammed in this place. That need pushed Adam to do something that every logic circuit in what served as his mind cried out against. Placing his hands against the wall he pushed.

Fluorescent light filled the cubby, blinding him for a moment. Adam winced in pain as his photoreceptors were temporarily strained to compensate for the rapid change in light. Once his vision returned to normal he took in the area. It was a robotics work shop full of soldering guns, motherboards and dozens of dissected machines lay sprawled about. Adam did his best to pull himself out of the closet but was too secured in his harness to get more than a foot out. He leaned and looked around some more, curious about his new surroundings.

There was little Adam could do other than just hang there. He was imprisoned by the thing around his chest. Continued attempts at removing it had proven pointless and only served to scuff the fine polish on his fingertips. Frustrated he nudged the other robot next to him. The other machine woke with a start and looked at Adam. It repeated the same speech as before. Adam quietly asked,

“Why are we here?”

“To transport the people of Landers City from one destination to another in a timely fashion. Do you have any other queries?”

“Yes. What are people?”

“People are the inhabitants of Landers City and are our responsibility to transport safely from one location to another.”

Adam was growing frustrated when he suddenly heard someone enter the room. A door closed nearby and something strode into view. It was bipedal and capable of moving without the assistance of wheels or something encasing it. Adam observed its pinkish skin, comparing it to his own chrome exterior. Thin tendrils sprouted from the top of its head. Like thousands of tiny wires that seemed to simply sprout from nowhere and serve no particular purpose. The creature wore a white casing around its body and moved from machine to machine inspecting it. In its hand the creature held a rectangle and appeared to be writing things on it. Adam stared in fascination of the being before him. Suddenly the creature whirled around and began to walk towards him. Adam panicked and quickly slumped down, pretending to be asleep. The machine next to him however remained awake and was staring eagerly at the being.

““Hello, I am automated destination achiever machine number eight-sixty-two. You may call me A.D.A.M. How can I help you today?”

“Nothing today Adam this is just a check up.”

“Not a programmed statement. How can I help you today?”

“Slash order sleep.”

The other robot slumped forward abruptly, its eyes blank. Adam’s systems flooded with fear and he began to shake and whimper. The creature in the lab coat turned its head and cocked an eyebrow at him. Deep brown eyes stared at Adam from beneath more of the same wires that sprouted from the man’s scalp. Adam continued to shake before now looked up at the human.

“A.D.A.M eight-twenty-one what is you malfunction?”

Adam shook even more violently, rattling the other machines next to him causing a great racket. Back into this corner he began to frantically pick his options. He had seen how quickly his compatriot had been dispatched by the mere words of the man in the white coat. The same thing could easily be done to him. Fear began to conjure wild scenerios in his mind in an effort to avoid deactivation.

Last edited by Swordfish on Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this. This is quite up my alley and rather well delivered. Press on with this sort of quality!

Now then, for the (very intriguing) first dp...

I would say I do not detect any anomolies in my processing. I'm not sure what else to do really... certainly a pickle there. As another option, we could suddenly make a break for it (but aren't we tied down?) Perhaps we could suggest that the harness is causing us difficulties in functions?

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: I think..... Reply with quote

Interesting, interesting. I see much potential here. There seems to be no question that our 'hero' has feelings, but, is he the only one? Do the other bots just do as their told, without emotion? Who knows. Is this a planet once inhabitaed by bots only? What was our 'hero' befor, if these fingers and such seem so unfamiliar?

Lots of questions, I look forward to the answers!

As for the DP...Hmmmm...STaying in character, as what I've seen so far, I'd say he has a total freak out! Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but hey, he's terrified! And so too would I be if one of my mates was "killed" with only few words Laughing

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying that the harness is causing a malfunction might show too much inteligence. It's clear that Adam has more inteligence than the other robots.

Then again, if Adam imitates his neighbour 862, he might also be ordered to sleep. But... if Adam is more advanced than his neighbour for whatever reason, who knows, his systems might not shut down completely. Does he really need to be so afraid?

I'm going to put forward the suggestion that is most likely going to freak the human out.

Reply: "I'm scared."

Welcome back, Swordfish!

Items

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting story! A good concept and good idea, develop more on it and always think of thirteen ways how to write the story, there is always more than three options. Can't wait!
Swordfish
Tourist

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Thunderbird: Glad you're enjoying it. Smile I was aiming for something that was a light read and enjoyable. Also a story that wasn't as heavy as Do Not Cross, also without so many comparrisons, illiterations, similies and metaphors.

@Pope: Don't worry my friend all things will be answered in due time Wink . Just keep on reading. As for what Adam says we'll see how the poll turns out.

@Crunchyfrog: Thanks for the welcome back! Adam is certainly special (being a unique character from my stock of storybook protagonists and antagonists) but as I said to Pope, all will be revealed. So read on! Very Happy

---

Alright readers, I'm going to put the poll up later this evening. All choices will be what Adam can potentially say (or not say Wink ). So stay tuned for the poll and eventual next chapter.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Grabs the first vote* Very Happy

Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm agreeing with cf, fear isn't often seen in robots
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let this one fall from your radar folks... it's still polling!
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Yay! Reply with quote

Yay! A fearful robot! It's Sonny al over again. I loved him. *Sits and wait patiently for next chapter*

To Be A Knight
Exmortis
Resident

Topics: 5
Location: Be always aware and keep one eye on the shadows... you may just find out...

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am placing my vote with the lie. I choose this option because:

Lying for self preservation is a very human method of reasoning. I am assuming that that is the general direction that this story will take. Additionally, In this situation the protagonist will need to remain inconspicuous, if he exhibits characteristics which are atypical to those possessed by his kin (his understanding of which is based on what he has experienced) then he will draw unwanted attention. This attention may differ from that noted previously, as he has introduced several new factors. All of which stem from the fact that he has displayed a unusual quality (assuming it is an unusual quality). This method of reasoning eliminates the "why did you kill my friend" choice and "I am scared" choice.

Finally, it is already noted that these devices are programmed to comply by stating their title, after which they voice their question or answer.
The protagonist is no exception to this rule:
Quote:
(Without realizing what it was doing the contraption responded back saying, “Hello, I am A.D.A.M eight-twenty-one.)

If the "remain silent" choice was selected, the machine programming would be forced to respond with its name. However, the protagonist may not provide an answer (again, I am only assuming). This will most likely result in suspicion and will only attract more attention.

Therefore, by process of elimination, I hypothesize that the "lie" option is the most likely course of action, excluding the possibility of unknown factors.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Bump Reply with quote

Yo! We need a tie breaker here! I wanna see what happens next! *Shuffles around dejectedly* *Sniffle* I like this one....

To Be A Knight
Exmortis
Resident

Topics: 5
Location: Be always aware and keep one eye on the shadows... you may just find out...

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I whole heartedly agree with Pope. I grow tired of waiting for this tie to be broken. I implore you host, please just use your best judgement in selecting one of the two available options and release a new episode. I am eager to see this story progress.
Ingrothechundyer
Royal Arch-Mage

Topics: 63

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now the tie is broken Smile
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we just need to locate Swordfish... Surprised

What does Adam say?
"I'm afraid."
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
"My harness disturbs my locomotive assets."
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
"Why did you kill my friend?"
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Remain silent.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7
Who Voted: Crunchyfrog, Exmortis, fairywaif, Ingrothechundyer, PopeAlessandrosXVIII, Thunderbird

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: