Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Crunchyfrog

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> City Central -> Open Forum -> Open Forum Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Emperor
Citizen

Topics: 29

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Crunchyfrog Reply with quote

With my deadline approaching at breakneck speeds and real life obligations dogging my heels I don't have much time - but I thought it essential to put this post up.

I wanted to give credit where credit is due and just make it known what valuable resource and a wonderful person Cruncyfrog is to this site and writers to the City. She had asked me if I would like some insight into the storygame I am running. (For those of you who are unfamiliar it is called Symphony's Requiem - don't blame me for the shameless plug, my readership is way down!)

Not only did she give me a great critique filled with insights and opinions as to how to improve in both form and function. She did it chapter by chapter, all the while looking at the storygame as a whole. I know that not only does she have real life obligations of her own, but between those and co-mayoring the site and running two stories of her own - she took the time and effort to do this critique for me. And though I haven't gotten back to her on these Embarrassed, I wanted to make it clear how much her effort is valued.

To Key and Smee: you guys probably already know this all to well, but Crunchy is a undeniable asset to the site. For you readers and authors out there, don't overlook this warm and insightful person.

Alright, I'm done, I thought it had to be said and said in a big way - butt kissing speech over.

P.S.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Crunchy.
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually quite amazing all she does. Heart n' soul of the city. I'm sure Crunchy would turn the idea down, but otherwise I would suggest having a Crunchyfrog appreciation week. Wink
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean I should dig out the green avatar again?

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Reiso
Respected Citizen

Topics: 17

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have to agree that there is a definite sincerity that comes across with Crunchy that you just don't get from most people on the internet, let alone at this one website. She helps for the sheer sake of helping, and welcomes--even craves--the same type of detailed feedback about her own work no matter how critical. Like any true author she recognizes the need to never stop growing or become complacent. Combine that with her dedication to the City and you have someone as invaluable as many of us probably once wished to be around here, and good thing too, since the rest of us are so busy, eh Crunchy?

Wink

Besides, anyone who likes Monty Python and Dr. Who can't be all bad.

P.S.

D-Lotus wrote:
It's actually quite amazing all she does.

Actually D, this supports my theory that she is really a sophisticated robot supercomputer with amazing powers of editing. And a, uh, creativity chip. Something.

Sector 17 -- Rebuilding... ... ...

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter--bitter," he answered;
"But I like it
Because it is bitter
And because it is my heart."  -- Stephen Crane
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that you see Crunchy do about the city is but a fraction of her tireless work behind the scenes as well.

The city has never been so spam bot free, along with the collation of masses of user stats over the last 18 months that have allowed the two of us to target our changes to adapt the city to focus on it's core strengths.

There may be something in your supercomputer theory Reiso... an almost eidetic memory proves endlessly useful, and is a constant source of amusement and awe to someone with as terrible memory as me Wink

Three cheers for Crunchy Cool
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I'm coming into this thread a bit late to make quite the impact that's been made so far.

But let me try.

For not only do I agree with everything that's been said, but more than that, I also fear the city may well be vacant without her.

We've been struggling here in IF. I think many of us remember more vibrant times. I don't blame anyone in particular. We've all been busy with other elements in our lives, that RL demon.

Even our King struggles with this... diversifying pursuits.

I remember when Crunchy arrived, coming in and making friends right out of the gate. And when so many friends come and go, I'm sure it can be frustrating. For those of us who've been writing here for a while, seeing our readership dwindle over time takes a toll.

But somehow, despite her own longest running story getting minimal response of late, our CF has managed to keep carrying the torch around here, guiding the way forward for all of us who can't bear to see the site collapse, but who can't spare from their lives the efforts required to make this place work. (Smee... you're another one of the gems around here for the same reasons!)

Furthermore, I, too, have found Crunchy's feedback to be invaluable. She honestly cares about every effort anyone here puts forth, and about every person who calls themselves an IFian. She's made it clear, from her actions and expressions, that to her, we're all more than just computerized voices on a screen.

I've never really understood what invited this devotion from her, but I have always understood that her coming here was by far the find of the century for our little community.

Let's not allow this gushing towards our favorite frog to overshadow any of the appreciation felt for any of our other devoted longtime IFians either. I have personally a lot of people to thank on this site for a great many things.

But truthfully, no thanks would be as great as those I, and I'm sure everyone else here, owe to you CF. You've always made us feel appreciated and cared for and you've been manning the steam engines so effectively and efficiently around here and it means something. I know there's other sites. But there's something about this one that makes it ultimately precious.

And I am overwhelmed with gratitude for you that you've come along to keep it that way. I only wish I could give a decent fraction back to you and to the city, that you've given to me, and to us. Since that's been a bit of a struggle to achieve of late, please accept this thanks in its place.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Topics: 59

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just popping in to add:

WHOOT WHOOT! Razz Three Cheers for Crunchy~! Smile
Phang
Elder

Topics: 25

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ladies, guess who's hopping on the bandwagon. I'm impressed.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who this Cruncy person is, but Crunchyfrog has always been a very active and supportive member of IF. I believe she even won some kind of award for it in the IFYs!
Shillelagh
Citizen

Topics: 20

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What more can be said, really? Crunchy's awesome.

Ihniwid Chapter 5 is up- find it here!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blush

I've tried writing this post a few times but have been unable to express how reading these messages has felt. In fact I'm so lost for words I am going to have to borrow from TB to even get close to articulating it:

Thunderbird wrote:
I know there's other sites. But there's something about this one that makes it ultimately precious.

It's the people here - old-timers and new members alike - that make this site so special. For me City of IF is a warm and friendly group of authors who support and challenge each other in our writing through the medium of Storygaming. I love being a part of it.

There are so many people I have to thank on this site too, for so many things.

We shouldn't worry ourselves unduly about being quieter now than in previous years. We shouldn't worry about how much time we as individuals can commit.

What we do here has become more intensely focused on writing now than in all the time I've been here. That proves how valuable everyone's contributions are, however great or small.

Awesome. Keeps me coming back. What can I say... Blush

Cool

(Hopefully the chapter I'm currently writing will be a little more coherent than this post!)
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atta girl Crunchy.

"Music makes you braver."
Amichan
Treasurer

Topics: 18
Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have to agree that Crunchyfrog has been a very vital part in Keeping IF interesting but has created some really great openings and pathways for others to make their mark here in IF ... if its thorough her Writing or suggestive criticism. her opinion is not only valued but appreciated very much. Even as much i have to sincerely say Crunchy Thank you for everything you have done.
Cyberworm
Respected Citizen

Topics: 5

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in to say a few words too! Very Happy

In one word, CF is awesome. Most of the time I see her in the Inn, I can only see the ripples of the actions she's done, but I am still impressed by what I see!

*takes the hat off and bows to CF sincerely*

Beyond Good and Evil
Could it be that being good is not good at all?
Vikas Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there's nothing left to say....

Crunchyfrog is AWESOME!! Very Happy

Be sure to read HATE in Romance section Wink

Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**Puts his right hand over his left chest and speaks in a dramatic tone**

I swear, that among all the people I have met on the net, Crunchyfrog has been one of the most kind, awesome (add positive adjective here) person.

Very Happy

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.

Items

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrunchy has always been around to help critique on stories! Just don't gush too much, she's not dead. Surprised
And may she live long and prosperious in the IFian world. I've learned that even she can be like the rest of us. Where we are all the same, and even if we hurt sometimes we have to keep it to ourselves, but...

I believe we all owe her with writing... Hope you contribute for a quite a while. Just be nice a person... oh yea and ask permission for fotos... hehe.

Wink
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: I Think...... Reply with quote

I feel there is only one thing I can say to express how wonderful I find the ilustius Froggy-chan. *Bows* My lady? It is an honor to know thee.

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> Open Forum -> Open Forum Archives All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: